PDA

View Full Version : Blackburn Roverz v Hibs

Hibbyradge
29-04-2017, 11:14 PM
Is my memory playing tricks on me?

Did we play at Blackburn Rovers away in the 80s?

Tobias Funke
29-04-2017, 11:15 PM

I think it was early to mid 90s. Maybe around about the time Shearer signed for them?

EDIT - That was a home game, we won 3-0. No idea about away friendly though.

SirDavidsNapper
29-04-2017, 11:16 PM

Only time I mind us playing them was the Blackburrn/Bolton double header around 2009. Some trip.

jonny
29-04-2017, 11:16 PM
I think it was early to mid 90s. Maybe around about the time Shearer signed for them?

Shearer's first game for them. Hibs 3 Blackburn 0.
A small band of Rovers fans were singing 'what a waste of money' at the game.
I wonder how long it took for their opinions to change

Hibbyradge
29-04-2017, 11:18 PM

EDIT - That was a home game, we won 3-0. No idea about away friendly though.

At Blackburn?

Sammy7nil
29-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Shearer's first game for them. Hibs 3 Blackburn 0.
A small band of Rovers fans were singing 'what a waste of money' at the game.
I wonder how long it took for their opinions to change

Funny how you remember things differently always thought it was Hibs fans signing what awaste of money to tease Blackburn fans. Also thought they might sign Keith Keith Keith after his performance

Tobias Funke
29-04-2017, 11:21 PM
At Blackburn?

Trying to find something but nothing coming up on Google. Not doubting we did play them down there, I'd have just been a boy back then!

Hibbyradge
29-04-2017, 11:23 PM
Trying to find something but nothing coming up on Google. Not doubting we did play them down there, I'd have just been a boy back then!

Me too. I was there but present company isn't sure my memory is accurate. 😁

jonny
29-04-2017, 11:24 PM
Funny how you remember things differently always thought it was Hibs fans signing what awaste of money to tease Blackburn fans. Also thought they might sign Keith Keith Keith after his performance

Now you mention it I think you might be right. I do remember the game but my memory of the finer points might be a little crossed.
What I can tell you for a fact is that the magnificent Shearer did manage to get himself lost in Neil Orr's back pocket for the hour or so he was on the park.

DarlingtonHibee
29-04-2017, 11:27 PM
I might be getting mixed up but did Kenny D not turn out for us and Keith got a hatrick, sure it was a testimonial. Cost me a lot more in the end as wife had bought tickets for Fleetwood Mac that night, I said going to the match was more important!

green.oracle
29-04-2017, 11:31 PM
Now you mention it I think you might be right. I do remember the game but my memory of the finer points might be a little crossed.
What I can tell you for a fact is that the magnificent Shearer did manage to get himself lost in Neil Orr's back pocket for the hour or so he was on the park.

We played them home and away in the anglo scottish cup 77/78. Hibs won 2-1 at ER and 1-0 away. Cant remember scorers. Johnny boy?

darwenhibby
29-04-2017, 11:34 PM

Proud to say beat them 2-1 in the Anglo Scottish cup at Easter road
Then down here beat them 1-0 tony Higgins scored the goal
Going into school as a 9 year old letting them know that my team beat them wa brilliant
15 years later when they had all the money they decided to play at ER
We ran two buses from our local the Bowling Green one of them and the Lancashire Hibees what a day as some one said Neil Orr had shearer in his pocket
" what a waste of money "
We used to have some great times in the Bowling Green watching Hibs

Glory Lurker
29-04-2017, 11:38 PM
We hammered Blackburn that night. We were a couple of weeks ahead of them in pre-season, but it was still a great result. Definitely the Hibees singing "what a waste of money" at Shearer. Remember that nearest they came to a goal was one of their players breaking free but called offside. He heard whistle before shooting, so only kicked it half-heartedly. Goalie (Budgie, I'd imagine) made no attempt to stop it, and it was trundling goal-wards. Cue the ballboy clearing it off the line. They couldn't even score when we stopped trying!

:flag:

Hibbyradge
30-04-2017, 12:39 AM
We played them home and away in the anglo scottish cup 77/78. Hibs won 2-1 at ER and 1-0 away. Cant remember scorers. Johnny boy?

That's the one!

northstandhibby
30-04-2017, 12:54 AM

What a signing Keith was. Pure class. Keith Keith Keith thanks for being one of the heroes of 91/92 who did the business against the huns and gave us the best night of parading the silverware home along Princes Street we'll never forget. What a night that was. Danced in the Elm Bar until the early morning light and beyond. ****you Mercer ****.

glory glory

SON OF PADDY
30-04-2017, 12:59 AM
I might be getting mixed up but did Kenny D not turn out for us and Keith got a hatrick, sure it was a testimonial. Cost me a lot more in the end as wife had bought tickets for Fleetwood Mac that night, I said going to the match was more important!

Was that not Alan Sneddon's Testimonial against Aston villa ? Prior to the LC Final. 5-1 Rings a bell ????

northstandhibby
30-04-2017, 01:07 AM
What a signing Keith was. Pure class. Keith Keith Keith thanks for being one of the heroes of 91/92 who did the business against the huns and gave us the best night of parading the silverware home along Princes Street we'll never forget. What a night that was. Danced in the Elm Bar until the early morning light and beyond. ****you Mercer ****.

glory glory

Edit

Should have added - Thank you Sir Tom for saving us from mercenary and for sticking with us despite everything and for the Cup. Thank you very much Sir Tom Farmer.

glory glory

DarlingtonHibee
30-04-2017, 01:33 AM
Was that not Alan Sneddon's Testimonial against Aston villa ? Prior to the LC Final. 5-1 Rings a bell ????
Could be right but I thought Kenny brought Blackburn up, and it was Shearer first game for them, but the memory is getting worse!!

RoxburghHibs
30-04-2017, 02:54 AM

It was but I'm sure the score was 4-2 to us.

HibbyDave
30-04-2017, 06:43 AM
My memory must be getting worse. I remember going to Blackburn away for midweek Anglo Scottish cup tie but I thought we won 3-2 down there.

hibbymark
30-04-2017, 07:10 AM
Hibs fans singing what a waste of money.

Blackburn fans singing back what a lot of money!

tanfield
30-04-2017, 08:03 AM

Definitely 4-2

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-04-2017, 08:09 AM
Only time I mind us playing them was the Blackburrn/Bolton double header around 2009. Some trip.

IIRC that was the night Celtic got pumped from Artmedia 5-0, remember watching it in the boozer at the away end at Ewood Park. (Hermit Crab will recall the train journey back to Preston I would imagine)!

Fanforlife
30-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Think Sneddons game was v Aston Villa, Keith scored either three or four in a 4 1 victory, played alongside King Kenny, said Kenny Dalglish was a dream to play alongside.

Fanforlife
30-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Games getting mixed up here I think, we beat Blackburn in both legs of Anglo,beat them again in a friendly when Shearer played,3 0 with Keith scoring the three, then Sneddons testimonial against Villa when Dalglish played alongside Keith in a Hibs win.

spudhib
30-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Pretty sure the game in 92 was Darren Jacksons debut

Baldy Foghorn
30-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Played Blackburn in a friendly away midweek, a few years ago, and Bolton away on the Saturday