PDA

View Full Version : Question Hibs in New Zealand

humins
28-04-2017, 10:27 AM
in the free world of New Zealand we are allowed to wear what we like to work on Fridays (& drink from 4pm at the bosses' expense) so this Friday I am resplendent in my Hibs top (McEwanFraser vintage) when one of my "soccer" following NZ colleagues tells me a tail of watching Hibs & Partick Thistle on an NZ tour in the late 70's, he's not 100% sure as he was only a kid at the time, but does anyone have any info on Hibs pre-season overseas trips to the antipodes in the 70s or early 80s ?

kiwihibby
28-04-2017, 10:53 AM
in the free world of New Zealand we are allowed to wear what we like to work on Fridays (& drink from 4pm at the bosses' expense) so this Friday I am resplendent in my Hibs top (McEwanFraser vintage) when one of my "soccer" following NZ colleagues tells me a tail of watching Hibs & Partick Thistle on an NZ tour in the late 70's, he's not 100% sure as he was only a kid at the time, but does anyone have any info on Hibs pre-season overseas trips to the antipodes in the 70s or early 80s ?

Hi humins, I lived in Auckland from the early 70s before moving to Oz in 2003 and never ever recall Hibs or Partick Thistle being in NZ. My older brother was on the NZFA council and he would definitely have got me tickets for any game. Think your "soccer colleague" is very mistaken.

DaveF
28-04-2017, 10:56 AM
John Campbells book mentions a close season world tour, taking in Hong Kong, New Zealand and elsewhere which seems to have been in 1976 or 1977.

Jonnyboy
28-04-2017, 03:10 PM
John Campbells book mentions a close season world tour, taking in Hong Kong, New Zealand and elsewhere which seems to have been in 1976 or 1977.

Yep I did mention it Dave but I'm pretty sure I also mentioned it was cancelled at late notice because Hibs were not given the financial guarantees they required to make the trip possible 😉

DaveF
28-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Yep I did mention it Dave but I'm pretty sure I also mentioned it was cancelled at late notice because Hibs were not given the financial guarantees they required to make the trip possible 😉

Ah..I see. I only took a bit from the Web so wasn't checking your actual book.

hibeg
28-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Nope we never played down under in the 70s. In fact never played in Oz or NZ ever.

Austinho
28-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Have we played in South Morocco?

Have we played in the USA?

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Have we played in South Morocco?

Have we played in the USA?

:agree: :greengrin :hibees

Jonnyboy
28-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Ah..I see. I only took a bit from the Web so wasn't checking your actual book.

In other words, you haven't read my book :greengrin

DaveF
28-04-2017, 08:23 PM
In other words, you haven't read my book :greengrin

I read that wee bit on the Internet! :-D

Jonnyboy
28-04-2017, 08:59 PM
I read that wee bit on the Internet! :-D

:greengrin

IberianHibernian
29-04-2017, 11:12 PM
I remember us playing a friendly in Israel ( Tel Aviv ) in 70s / 80s and a couple of games in California after promotion in 1981 ( remember reading about players - Callachan and McArthur ? not going on tour after bust - up about wages ) and reading about playing in Brasil in 50s . And friendly in Trinidad and Tobago when we had Latapy . Where else have we played outside Europe ? Canada ?
Nearer to Easter Road , I remember us playing a match on Lewis in 80s ( I presume someone here will have travelled to that game since we used to take several hundred to pre season friendlies to Highlands then though I know Stornoway involves train and boat ) . Played in Isle of Man tournament a few times didn`t we ? Have we played on any other islands in Ireland / Britain /Channel islands ?

Steve-O
30-04-2017, 06:45 AM
It's about time Hibs made this right and did the tour!

brog
30-04-2017, 07:50 AM
We played in USA/Canada in 1967 close season I think. We represented a city, possibly Toronto & had a different name for the tournament. IIRC we beat/drew with Notts F & Sunderland. I remember Jimmy O telling me we could have won the tourney but the players needed to get back to have a holiday before the new season. It was that tour I think that Willie Hamilton scored 8 in 1 game, was given a commemorative silver plate & folded it into his bag!