PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Sensory Room - A dads Quest

Dublin07
28-04-2017, 07:24 AM
13 days ago after the QOS game a dad and hibs fan posted a message on the Hibspaige on facebook. His message told of his first visit that day to easter road with his son Clayton. Clayton like my own son has Autism. Gary and Clayton lasted approx 12 minutes and had to leave as the wee man was too upset and distressed to stay any longer. Gary posted his message out of the kind of frustration and upset all parents of ASD children have felt at some point.
Within hours his message had hundreds of replies which including my own offering help and support. Gary made a suggestion that Hibs should introduce a sensory room at easter road to allow any child with a sensory or autism spectrum disorder the chance to watch their team without the distress the existing stands can cause.
The response since then has been truly inspiring and i have always wanted to say this "Hibs Class".
Tracey Smith our new fans rep contacted Gary almost immediately and offered her support. Tracey has been amazing and i cannot praise her enough for the time and energy she is putting in to this project. Tracey has compiled a file from Gary, myself and others that have contacted her and will take it to a board meeting on Tuesday.
In the meantime Gary has been in contact with clubs all over the UK including Airdrie, Sunderland , Watford and Middlesborough. We have both been invited along next Saturday with our boys to see Airdries Diamond sensory room for the last game of the season. The Shippey family that introduced the first sensory room in the UK to Sunderland are 100% behind us and have offered support both financially and through their vast experience.
Since i became involved in this project i have had the experience of my own son Fraser having to leave the semi final after only 53 minutes and being treated badly by the stewards when i wanted to leave with him.
We would love to make our dream of a sensory viewing room at easter road possible and at the moment we are just making as many Hibs fans as possible aware of our campaign.
I will keep this post updated with our progress.
We would be happy to hear from anyone that can help or would like to share their own stories. if you reply this post i will gather the replies together and email them to Tracey. Alternatively you can join the chat on facebook (Gary O'farrell or Craig Montgomery on Hibspaige).

GGTTH:flag:

wookie70
28-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Great idea and something I hope the club can help with. A community club needs to include everyone in the community and Hibs have a good record in similar matters

pontius pilate
28-04-2017, 07:51 AM
My own daughter is ASD along with hyperacousis ( it affects how the brain hears certain sounds). Unfortunately we have tried unsuccessfully going to a game together but as we all know the sensory overload is far too much for the poor souls. I congratulate you and all the others in this great initiative. It might be a tad late but if there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to ask.

GGTTH

Dublin07
28-04-2017, 07:56 AM
My own daughter is ASD along with hyperacousis ( it affects how the brain hears certain sounds). Unfortunately we have tried unsuccessfully going to a game together but as we all know the sensory overload is far too much for the poor souls. I congratulate you and all the others in this great initiative. It might be a tad late but if there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to ask.

GGTTH

My son has hyperacussis too. Will keep you updated after Tuesday as we will then know better of what we need to do. Thanks for your support.

Pretty Boy
28-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Great idea and good luck with your quest.

Keep us updated and hopefully it's a positive outcome, I'm sure Hibs will do what they can to help.

traceyhibs
28-04-2017, 08:33 AM
13 days ago after the QOS game a dad and hibs fan posted a message on the Hibspaige on facebook. His message told of his first visit that day to easter road with his son Clayton. Clayton like my own son has Autism. Gary and Clayton lasted approx 12 minutes and had to leave as the wee man was too upset and distressed to stay any longer. Gary posted his message out of the kind of frustration and upset all parents of ASD children have felt at some point.
Within hours his message had hundreds of replies which including my own offering help and support. Gary made a suggestion that Hibs should introduce a sensory room at easter road to allow any child with a sensory or autism spectrum disorder the chance to watch their team without the distress the existing stands can cause.
The response since then has been truly inspiring and i have always wanted to say this "Hibs Class".
Tracey Smith our new fans rep contacted Gary almost immediately and offered her support. Tracey has been amazing and i cannot praise her enough for the time and energy she is putting in to this project. Tracey has compiled a file from Gary, myself and others that have contacted her and will take it to a board meeting on Tuesday.
In the meantime Gary has been in contact with clubs all over the UK including Airdrie, Sunderland , Watford and Middlesborough. We have both been invited along next Saturday with our boys to see Airdries Diamond sensory room for the last game of the season. The Shippey family that introduced the first sensory room in the UK to Sunderland are 100% behind us and have offered support both financially and through their vast experience.
Since i became involved in this project i have had the experience of my own son Fraser having to leave the semi final after only 53 minutes and being treated badly by the stewards when i wanted to leave with him.
We would love to make our dream of a sensory viewing room at easter road possible and at the moment we are just making as many Hibs fans as possible aware of our campaign.
I will keep this post updated with our progress.
We would be happy to hear from anyone that can help or would like to share their own stories. if you reply this post i will gather the replies together and email them to Tracey. Alternatively you can join the chat on facebook (Gary O'farrell or Craig Montgomery on Hibspaige).

GGTTH:flag:

Hi,

I have been speaking with Gary over the past couple of weeks and this is something that Frank has also been working on for the past 6 months with some families. Frank has also worked with Autistic Children for over 15 years so has a great wealth of experience in this area.

This is something that we will be continuing to discuss with the board, but this will be a long-term project and not something that can be done as a "quick-fix". I am sure all of you as parents would want something in place that can be there for the future rather than a short term solution. The children need strict routines and not have to deal with change which is what a short-term solution would be offering.

One issue will be space. As you are aware there a lot of internal changes happening within the club and a lot of re-location is required. Until such time as that is identified we will not know what space is available.

I will be speaking with Gary on Tuesday and we will update you on initial conversations.

Thank you to everyone who has shown support to Gary and for sharing your experiences.

Tracey and Frank

tartanhibee
28-04-2017, 08:47 AM
This is a great initiative and support it 100% as someone who doesn't really understand what difficulties can arise in these circumstances, I appreciate that anything that can be done to help parents and children enjoy the match together and also raise awareness is worth doing.

Well done to all involved.

I hope this post comes across as intended.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Hi,

I have been speaking with Gary over the past couple of weeks and this is something that Frank has also been working on for the past 6 months with some families. Frank has also worked with Autistic Children for over 15 years so has a great wealth of experience in this area.

This is something that we will be continuing to discuss with the board, but this will be a long-term project and not something that can be done as a "quick-fix". I am sure all of you as parents would want something in place that can be there for the future rather than a short term solution. The children need strict routines and not have to deal with change which is what a short-term solution would be offering.

One issue will be space. As you are aware there a lot of internal changes happening within the club and a lot of re-location is required. Until such time as that is identified we will not know what space is available.

I will be speaking with Gary on Tuesday and we will update you on initial conversations.

Thank you to everyone who has shown support to Gary and for sharing your experiences.

Tracey and Frank

Its refreshing and great to hear that the club has folks that have an insight into autism. You are bang on with the need to have something stable that will become familiar rather than something that will chop and change. Fully supportive of this initiative but appreciate it won't be like flipping a switch.

The Weeman's Mum
28-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Hi,

Tracey and Frank

Hi Tracey
I have been very keen for Hibs to have a Sensory Room. I have a child with Special Needs who has other medical issues too. There have been times when he could have done with a safe environment where he could go to also. Another issue that is relevant is a safe place for fans and visitors to go to at Er who have Dementia /Alzeihmers. Myhusband is a sufferer of the latter and is unable to attend Renowned with our son. If there was a similar setting for many affected by this cruel illness, that would be welcomed. Perhaps speak to Tom Wright who runs the Football Memories programme.

Dublin07
28-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Hi,

Tracey and Frank

Thanks Tracey for your reply. I know how much work has already been done on this from your emails and chats with Gary. This was really just to update the wider hibs family on the progress so far.
Look forward to Gary's updates once you have spoken to him on Tuesday. I totally agree though that a long term solution is what is required here.

Seveno
28-04-2017, 12:06 PM
I don't think that many people realise the fear and distress that children with autism can suffer and this initiative is a worthy cause. I think that it is something that a lot of fans might be willing to support financially and perhaps something can be set up.

Stantons Angel
28-04-2017, 12:39 PM
I don't think that many people realise the fear and distress that children with autism can suffer and this initiative is a worthy cause. I think that it is something that a lot of fans might be willing to support financially and perhaps something can be set up.

This is an excellent idea and should be widely supported throughout the Hibs family.

I have two grown up nephews with this and i know first hand how they react to the noise and crowds around them.

Some people who are not used to dealing with kids with this would say "well dont take them to these sort of places" but why should they not be allowed to live as full a life as they can?

This sort of room could maybe be incorporated within the new Health Pod being fitted in to the North Stand area facing on to the park?

Anyway it will not be a quick fix as some one has said but will be a valuable addition to the community and to the parents of the kids.

I hope it comes off.

Dashing Bob S
28-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Terrific initiative - lets make it happen.

KWJ
28-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Having just finished reading Mark Haddon's 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' I can completely understand how a football game could be such a difficult environment for anybody with ASD.

Anything Hibs and other clubs can do would be a good push forward.

Keith_M
28-04-2017, 01:58 PM

Some people who are not used to dealing with kids with this would say "well dont take them to these sort of places" but why should they not be allowed to live as full a life as they can?

I have to admit, that was my first thought (and I do actually have kids).

However, it's up to each parent to make that decision for their own kids, as they know their circumstances better than a stranger like me, so I fully support your effort to get this done.

tamsonsbairn
28-04-2017, 02:23 PM
This is an excellent idea and should be widely supported throughout the Hibs family.

I have two grown up nephews with this and i know first hand how they react to the noise and crowds around them.

This sort of room could maybe be incorporated within the new Health Pod being fitted in to the North Stand area facing on to the park?

Anyway it will not be a quick fix as some one has said but will be a valuable addition to the community and to the parents of the kids.

I hope it comes off.does anybody know what is happening to the sponsors boxes that are located behind the goals. Are these soundproofed, if so i think these would be ideal for those Kids and others who need them.

Onceinawhile
28-04-2017, 02:32 PM
does anybody know what is happening to the sponsors boxes that are located behind the goals. Are these soundproofed, if so i think these would be ideal for those Kids and others who need them.

It'll be taken up by the health centre that is replacing behind the goals (potentially). Is there similar in the south?

tamsonsbairn
28-04-2017, 04:15 PM
It'll be taken up by the health centre that is replacing behind the goals (potentially). Is there similar in the south?
as far as i know there is only a police cctv unit in there. what if the new medical centre also has patients with these disorders, i'm sure that something could be done to allow people who are not registered at the new centre to attend along with those who are.does anybody know how many boxes there are and how many people they hold. if i can remember there is also a small lounge that was situated overlooking the ground at the corner of the famous five stand..

WhileTheChief..
28-04-2017, 04:20 PM
One child going to Easter Rd once and another at the semi at Hampden.

Just wondering if there is really a demand for this? (Sorry for asking, no offence meant)

Eric
28-04-2017, 04:39 PM
as far as i know there is only a police cctv unit in there. what if the new medical centre also has patients with these disorders, i'm sure that something could be done to allow people who are not registered at the new centre to attend along with those who are.does anybody know how many boxes there are and how many people they hold. if i can remember there is also a small lounge that was situated overlooking the ground at the corner of the famous five stand..

I thing that there are 6 boxes each taking up to 10 people. The lounge you refer to was called the Members Lounge (or Suite) and was basically the precursor of the Edinburgh Suite.

Tracey I'm delighted to hear of your involvement with this. Definitely fans rep business. :thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
28-04-2017, 04:52 PM

Just wondering if there is really a demand for this? (Sorry for asking, no offence meant)

With diagnosis on the increase it's perhaps only a matter of time. Iirc it is 1 in 100 in the U.K. But in Edinburgh it's as high as 1 in 80.

Part of it is about kids and their parents and siblings connecting sharing a common interest - obsession. Imagine your kid wants to be like daddy and go to the Hibs stadium that has that mystique about it. But you know they couldn't handle it for a variety of reasons - sensory overload, fidgeting and heightened anxiety due to noise and queuing. disrupting others - who may be ignorant and vocal.
The simple things folks take for granted denied. So why not spread a little happiness?

Pehraps look at other clubs (seems to be what the club are doing tbf) and learn.
The Rangers, Aberdeen and others have or are planning similar. Hibs should be there too.

JimBHibees
28-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Thanks Tracey for your reply. I know how much work has already been done on this from your emails and chats with Gary. This was really just to update the wider hibs family on the progress so far.
Look forward to Gary's updates once you have spoken to him on Tuesday. I totally agree though that a long term solution is what is required here.

Saw this sort of room on the tv in I think it was Sunderland and looked amazing. How many kids and adults could be accommodated in the one room assume some kids have individual needs. Would be an amazing initiative for club to take on.

Dublin07
28-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Saw this sort of room on the tv in I think it was Sunderland and looked amazing. How many kids and adults could be accommodated in the one room assume some kids have individual needs. Would be an amazing initiative for club to take on.

In other rooms it's normally room for about 10 kids and 10 adults but depends on the space available.

Dublin07
28-04-2017, 06:48 PM

The room at Airdrie opened a couple of months ago and has been full for every game. Our support is about 10 times theirs so would assume it would be full. Also judging by the responses on Facebook there are a large number of families that would use this facility.

Dublin07
28-04-2017, 06:50 PM
With diagnosis on the increase it's perhaps only a matter of time. Iirc it is 1 in 100 in the U.K. But in Edinburgh it's as high as 1 in 80.

Part of it is about kids and their parents and siblings connecting sharing a common interest - obsession. Imagine your kid wants to be like daddy and go to the Hibs stadium that has that mystique about it. But you know they couldn't handle it for a variety of reasons - sensory overload, fidgeting and heightened anxiety due to noise and queuing. disrupting others - who may be ignorant and vocal.
The simple things folks take for granted denied. So why not spread a little happiness?

Pehraps look at other clubs (seems to be what the club are doing tbf) and learn.
The Rangers, Aberdeen and others have or are planning similar. Hibs should be there too.

Brilliant response viva. Take a look at Watford room online too it's amazing.

Onceinawhile
28-04-2017, 08:55 PM

I would assume a lot of parents wouldn't try as they know the likely outcome (e.g. having to leave early) and don't want to waste money or put their child into a potentially distressing situation.

When there's no facility, there will be no demand. When there is one there likely will be.

pontius pilate
29-04-2017, 08:24 PM
My son has hyperacussis too. Will keep you updated after Tuesday as we will then know better of what we need to do. Thanks for your support.

No problem mate hyperacousis is a weird one as you get blank looks and have to explain it. Our daughter has it on low frequency sounds so hands rubbing together painting etc etc.

GGTTH