PDA

View Full Version : Humphrey/Harris last night?

G B Young
27-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Wasn't at the game last night but on the match thread there were a few comments that Humphrey looked off the pace (which would be understandable given his long lay-off) but from the highlights he looked pretty dangerous and put in a fine run and cross for the opening goal. What was the general opinion from those who were there?

Harris, judging by the match thread and the reports I've read, started quite lively but faded?

overdrive
27-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Wasn't at the game last night but on the match thread there were a few comments that Humphrey looked off the pace (which would be understandable given his long lay-off) but from the highlights he looked pretty dangerous and put in a fine run and cross for the opening goal. What was the general opinion from those who were there?

Harris, judging by the match thread and the reports I've read, started quite lively but faded?

Humphrey looked like he was carrying a bit of timber. Great ball for the first goal though.

Harris was lively, put in some decent passes and did OK defensively. He almost scored a peach of an O.G.

Fergus52
27-04-2017, 11:55 AM
I only watched the highlights but as you said I thought Humphrey looked really good in them. delivered 4 or 5 perfect crosses throughout the match, almost more than Boyle has all season.

He was always not going to look that sharp in his first game back from injury, having played so little this season already.

Lancs Harp
27-04-2017, 11:57 AM

Wasnt at the game either, I "watched" on here thanks to Prettyboys regular updates. The official website in its report gave Humphrey a pretty good write up.

GreenNWhiteArmy
27-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Humphrey looks so short on confidence. As a winger, imo his first thought when receiving the ball should be to run at his man and burn him for pace. He seems tentative and always looks to cut in or play the safe option. He was played in behind a few times with some excellent passes. He did deliver 3 or 4 great crosses during the match so there's clearly ability there i just worry that i'm seeing the same things i've saw from him with the exception of the Dundee United match on his debut

Harris looked lively - hope he starts on Saturday again

dmc1875
27-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Humphreys showed he had a final ball, needs match practice though. He is playing for a deal might be worth a years extension.

stoneyburn hibs
27-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Hopefully Humphrey stays and gets a good pre season as he's obviously not 100%.

During the game Parker told him to switch with Harris, got told : No, I can't play on that side.

Harris was about average, although hopefully gets another start on Saturday. He was given great encouragement by the support throughout the game.

hibee62
27-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Humphrey's crossing was really good. Set up two chances in the first 10 minutes and then the goal.

He seemed like he didn't fancy taking his man on though which may have been due to his fitness issues coming back from a long lay off, like he was trying to manage it. He seemed to be breathing heavily after each run.

Overall, not as good or exciting as against united but good nonetheless and signs of potential.

Hibs Class
27-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Humphrey played okay, got in some decent crosses and was always looking to get involved. He had one cracking first touch during the second half where he flicked the ball past Mchattie and would have been away but for Mchattie pulling him down and getting the booking.

Mikey
27-04-2017, 12:09 PM
On last night's showing I'd be disappointed if either are anywhere near the first team next season. We need better and Harris in particular has had his chance.

MWHIBBIES
27-04-2017, 12:14 PM
3 absolutely amazing crosses by Humphrey last night, looked a bit off the pace but his quality is clearly there. I'd give him a year, let him get a good pre season and see how he does. Better player than Boyle IMO.

Seveno
27-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Humphrey looks so short on confidence. As a winger, imo his first thought when receiving the ball should be to run at his man and burn him for pace. He seems tentative and always looks to cut in or play the safe option. He was played in behind a few times with some excellent passes. He did deliver 3 or 4 great crosses during the match so there's clearly ability there i just worry that i'm seeing the same things i've saw from him with the exception of the Dundee United match on his debut

Harris looked lively - hope he starts on Saturday again

Pretty fair assessment. He received some great passes to allow him to run into space but chose pass inside.

Hiber-nation
27-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Humphrey doesn't have a trick to beat a man which is really frustrating but he's effective when a good ball is played to him with space to run into.

NAE NOOKIE
27-04-2017, 12:21 PM
I don't think we have had a chance to see the best of Humphrey yet, or at least I hope that's the case. One thing he does have which is very encouraging is his delivery into the box which is very good.

I'm hoping that a lack of fitness since he joined due initially to a lack of match practice and then injuries means we haven't seen him at his best, especially when it comes to his much lauded pace ..... I have noticed that when faced up with a defender he has been extremely reluctant to put the ball past them and get into a foot race, which so far as I'm aware is supposed to be his main asset. If he has lost his pace and what we have seen so far is the best we can expect than I don't think he is worth sticking with ... if he hasn't then I would like to see him given a chance for next season.

Harris didn't look too bad last night and actually did some decent tracking back which was good to see, even if he did almost score the best OG of the season :greengrin ...... He certainly looks like he has been working on his physique and seems to have regained a lot of his confidence, I wouldn't complain if he is at least given another season to prove himself.

hibbytam
27-04-2017, 12:26 PM
On last night's showing I'd be disappointed if either are anywhere near the first team next season. We need better and Harris in particular has had his chance.

I think you need to take into account that both are short on games, and particularly Humphrey won't be anywhere near peak fitness. I'd be surprised if they were both first choice players next season, but I'm not sure we'd be able to get much better back up players. And for Humph. his record shows that he's capable of holding down a position in a premier league team.

JDHibs
27-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Both short on games, fitness and match fitness. Think people maybe expect a bit much. Give them the next couple of games and see how they get on.

B.H.F.C
27-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Humphrey must have a decent number of assists for the number of games he's actually played in.

He's not always been brilliant, in fact he's been really poor in some games, but he's never really been fit.

Brightside
27-04-2017, 12:52 PM
I doubt Humphrey will be here next season. Does Harris still have a year left?

Marco G
27-04-2017, 12:53 PM
I think you need to take into account that both are short on games, and particularly Humphrey won't be anywhere near peak fitness. I'd be surprised if they were both first choice players next season, but I'm not sure we'd be able to get much better back up players. And for Humph. his record shows that he's capable of holding down a position in a premier league team.
Very fair comment. It was clear that he was tiring second half, but can deliver a telling cross. After McHattie was booked Humphrey never once tried to take him on. Different story if he had been match fit imo.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

hibby6270
27-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Think it's fair to say that Humphrey was a bit off the pace last night. Coming back from injury that's understandable. When he got the ball though, it was mostly when he had plenty space and took a no frills approach of passing/crossing the ball at the earliest opportunity. Something we've been lacking of late. Our players do have a tendency to hold on to the ball too much before passing.

Harris was OK last night but less effective than Humphrey IMO. He's still to convince me he's worth persevering with. Sure some will agree, some won't.

Geo_1875
27-04-2017, 01:02 PM
Humphrey must have a decent number of assists for the number of games he's actually played in.

He's not always been brilliant, in fact he's been really poor in some games, but he's never really been fit.

He was brilliant against United then bang average in his subsequent games. I'd give him a place in the last 2 games and let him show what he can do. If he does enough to warrant a new contract then fair enough but if not cut our losses and move on.

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Humphrey was okay, some decent crosses and runs into space. Harris was less impressive.

madhatter
27-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Humphrey was better than Harris but what I didn't like about him was Lennon shouted down that he wanted Harris and Humphrey to swap wings and Humphrey said no...Harris still looks very nervous at times and needs a major boost to his confidence.

Think if he could play on the right he might have had more of an impact. He did play a few great passes though. Decent defensive work on a few occasions as well.

Forza Fred
27-04-2017, 01:34 PM
I saw the whole game televised and thought Humphrey's first touch let him down numerous times.
He was also guilty of lrunning into tackles and losing possession.
Admittedly his ball for Keatings goal was superb, but the chance was created by the defence splitting pass TO Humphrey, more than by Humphrey's skill.

As for Harris, well he was Harris.

Humphrey maybe here next season until January, but can't see Harris being here.

Brooster
27-04-2017, 02:12 PM
I would sign Humphrey. His delivery is excellent from a number of angles. He hurts teams. Harris Im not so sure, I would be tempted to release him.

BSEJVT
27-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Humphrey can deliver a ball of that there is no doubt.

I do wonder though if we couldn't coach that into Boyle, so instead of head down and off running at the first opportunity he could mix it up a bit more?

I might be wrong and stand to be corrected but I don't think lack of match fitness would cause you to go from super fast to relatively pedestrian?

I can see it would slow you up a bit but IMO he isn't quick enough to fulfil the role I would want him to.

I would imagine though that he will be a relatively cheap option and may well be offered something.

The problem with that is that if we pack the squad full of okay players it will hamper the development of our youngsters.

I think people are being a bit unfair on Harris and have made up their mind he has failed and will continue to and cant see past that.

No he wasn't fantastic, but the guy is a footballer and had some lovely cross field passes and still runs beautifully with the ball, which is a skill in itself.

He put in a ball for Murray that was every bit as good as Humphrey's ball for Keatings goal, but gets no recognition.

Given his complete aversion to tackling I am not sure that playing him as a wingback on his wrong foot would have helped much. bit maybe Lennon is trying to make him compete for the ball.

Personally I would have taken Humphrey of at half time and switched Harris over that side to let him destroy McHattie again.

I would much rather that the season had longer to go and he could have got a few more games under his belt to see if he could recapture something like his original burst of form.

Again, I would imagine though that he will be a relatively cheap option and may well be offered something and whilst that simply adds to the okay player problem I have alluded to above, I would rather persevere with Harris, who at least has time on his side rather than Humphrey who doesn't.

I suspect though that I will be one of very few to hold that opinion.

JimBHibees
27-04-2017, 02:53 PM
I would sign Humphrey. His delivery is excellent from a number of angles. He hurts teams. Harris Im not so sure, I would be tempted to release him.

Tend to agree he showed enough for Motherwell to know what he can bring. If we can get him fully fit in pre-season then he could be a revelation. Also would like Boyle to be signed on as he is young and needs to be coached to make inside runs, a few tricks etc which would improve his game no end IMO.

Shrekko
27-04-2017, 03:09 PM
I would sign Humphrey. His delivery is excellent from a number of angles. He hurts teams.

His delivery is really good but he's not really been able to beat a man with trickery or speed at this level. He looks too bulky now to be able to find that pace he had at Motherwell and isn't really the same player. He was unlucky to get injured but he hasn't shown anything to suggest he'd be a huge asset at a higher level so far has he? I've been amazed at how often slow players like Paul Cairney have won foot races with him.

There has to be better available surely? I'm guessing he'll be on a reasonable weekly wage too.

Dashing Bob S
27-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Both those guys will tear the top flight apart next season. A preseason of intensive training and brainwashing by Lenny and they will be a cannibal apocalypse, tearing the hapless, terrorised rival defences apart.

CMurdoch
27-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Humphrey can deliver a ball of that there is no doubt.

I do wonder though if we couldn't coach that into Boyle, so instead of head down and off running at the first opportunity he could mix it up a bit more?

I might be wrong and stand to be corrected but I don't think lack of match fitness would cause you to go from super fast to relatively pedestrian?

I can see it would slow you up a bit but IMO he isn't quick enough to fulfil the role I would want him to.

I would imagine though that he will be a relatively cheap option and may well be offered something.

The problem with that is that if we pack the squad full of okay players it will hamper the development of our youngsters.

I think people are being a bit unfair on Harris and have made up their mind he has failed and will continue to and cant see past that.

No he wasn't fantastic, but the guy is a footballer and had some lovely cross field passes and still runs beautifully with the ball, which is a skill in itself.

He put in a ball for Murray that was every bit as good as Humphrey's ball for Keatings goal, but gets no recognition.

Given his complete aversion to tackling I am not sure that playing him as a wingback on his wrong foot would have helped much. bit maybe Lennon is trying to make him compete for the ball.

Personally I would have taken Humphrey of at half time and switched Harris over that side to let him destroy McHattie again.

I would much rather that the season had longer to go and he could have got a few more games under his belt to see if he could recapture something like his original burst of form.

Again, I would imagine though that he will be a relatively cheap option and may well be offered something and whilst that simply adds to the okay player problem I have alluded to above, I would rather persevere with Harris, who at least has time on his side rather than Humphrey who doesn't.

I suspect though that I will be one of very few to hold that opinion.

I agree with you.
Humphrey crossed well but was really just getting rid of the ball because he knew he couldn't get past the full back. As you say a lack of match fitness would not cause him to go from super fast to relatively pedestrian?
I don't think the speed will come back so not a good option for a good wage.
Much better giving Harris a contact for a year with a years option for Hibs. He will be on a modest wage so no risk. I thought he did well enough on the wing and defensively although did panic a bit with the ball at his feet in tight midfield positions. He has bulked up and I think Lennon can improve him as he has done with Cummings.

Andy74
27-04-2017, 04:32 PM
I agree with you.
Humphrey crossed well but was really just getting rid of the ball because he knew he couldn't get past the full back. As you say a lack of match fitness would not cause him to go from super fast to relatively pedestrian?
I don't think the speed will come back so not a good option for a good wage.
Much better giving Harris a contact for a year with a years option for Hibs. He will be on a modest wage so no risk. I thought he did well enough on the wing and defensively although did panic a bit with the ball at his feet in tight midfield positions. He has bulked up and I think Lennon can improve him as he has done with Cummings.

He was just getting rid of the ball? Total nonsense.

Whatever way you get past people or not, final ball is all it is about and he is better that anyone else we have on that front.

neil7908
27-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Humphrey doesn't have a trick to beat a man which is really frustrating but he's effective when a good ball is played to him with space to run into.

I think this is spot on. We know he has pace to burn but I'm not sure he has other skills to beat a defender.

His pace is a great asset and I'd like to see him sign another deal (provided he's not on too much money) but he is a but of a one trick pony.

weecounty hibby
27-04-2017, 05:15 PM
I will be very disappointed to see Harris in a Hibs shirt next year. Didn't do near enough last night and sold team mates short with passes on a number of occasions. Also had the ball taken off him in the second half that could have resulted in a goal but for what looked like dodgy decision from the ref. Sorry but he's not good enough and has had more than enough chances

blackpoolhibs
27-04-2017, 05:18 PM
Does Swanson play on the right, if so will Humphrey's not be a squad players at best? :confused:

Unseen work
27-04-2017, 05:24 PM
He has had a tough time of it lately with injuries etc.

a good pre season and he will be fit and a big asset imo.

i don't care if he beats his man or not, if he gets ball into the box like the ones he showed last night he will be very dangerous.

It actually impressed me that he had the common sense and maturity to acknowledge he wouldn't always win the foot race so he whipped them in early.

for the games he has played he has a very good assist/goal ratio compared to the rest of our team especially as he isn't fit.

MWHIBBIES
27-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Does Swanson play on the right, if so will Humphrey's not be a squad players at best? :confused:Having a competent back-up for Swanson is important, he has had fitness/health issues in the past.

Unseen work
27-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Does Swanson play on the right, if so will Humphrey's not be a squad players at best? :confused:

Swanson plays on the left mate

Skol
27-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Humphrey clearly lacked fitness but did show he had the ability. However with Swanson having signed not sure if we have room for him

Harris wasnt as bad as he has been, but offered little to no attacking threat while he did the defensive side well. For me he proved that he doesnt have what it takes

blackpoolhibs
27-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Swanson plays on the left mate

Cheers, shows you how much notice i take of other teams. :greengrin

RIP
27-04-2017, 05:32 PM
I hope players aren't in the habit of reading messageboards

BoltonHibee
27-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Humphrey was pony piss last night, overweight and struggled to beat a man or execute many simple passes. Lovely cross for the goal tbf but we need better than him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unseen work
27-04-2017, 05:39 PM
He's an absolute tank now

hibee
27-04-2017, 05:50 PM
I thought both of them were poor and would hope to have better playing for us next season.

cmcd
27-04-2017, 06:02 PM
I thought both of them were poor and would hope to have better playing for us next season.

OK I'm going to disagree with most of the posts ref Harris .I and others round about me agreed he had a decent game .His passing was good (most of the time)and his crosses were good .and his defending much better .He has bulked up a bit therefore he is not pushed off the ball the same . I feel the boy just needs games under his belt .It also helped that the supporters encouraged him from the first minute .Overall a decent game

neil7908
27-04-2017, 06:08 PM
I hope players aren't in the habit of reading messageboards

They'll hear much worse from the stands every week than on here.

Sir David Gray
27-04-2017, 06:22 PM
I don't think Harris has a future with Hibs to be honest. Humphrey might have but he's still got a lot to do.

ancient hibee
27-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Humphrey wasn't fit but we should have been two up from his crosses before we finally scored.Quite often he tackled and got the ball back after he'd lost it.Got to the bye line quite often which should have lead to a few more goals.

Harris played a lot of the game as a wing back although you would never call him a strong tackler.Had some good passes to open up the game.Got free and laid on a goal for Murray who put it past the post which seemed more difficult to do.

I would keep both.

fishybeaver
27-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Both better footballers than Boyle in my opinion, perhaps not as busy but smarter passing and more dangerous.

inglisavhibs
27-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Having a competent back-up for Swanson is important, he has had fitness/health issues in the past.
Swanson is not a wide player.

edwards
27-04-2017, 08:34 PM
We all keep going on about Harris but he was a top young player when he broke through, how many chances has Stevenson had it took him quite a while before we got the best out of him and I feel this will be the same for Harris and that is why I feel we should keep him and take the chance.

California-Hibs
27-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Humphrey never looked to take his man on, not once. His first thought is to pass it on/cut back inside. Don't get me wrong, nice assist and may have a cross in him, but it was painful to see the reluctance to even try and beat a man.

Completely different player to the one I remember at Motherwell. So far....

StevieCowan
27-04-2017, 08:47 PM
I'd suggest that both have 90mins to save their Hibs career although I think the horse has already bolted for both of them

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2017, 09:03 PM
Humphrey never looked to take his man on, not once. His first thought is to pass it on/cut back inside. Don't get me wrong, nice assist and may have a cross in him, but it was painful to see the reluctance to even try and beat a man.

Completely different player to the one I remember at Motherwell. So far....

He actually did try a couple of times early on and got no joy,once he realised McHattie had the measure of him he began to release the ball early or go inside.

tamig
27-04-2017, 09:38 PM
I can't believe some of the comments about Humphrey here. He put some fantastic crosses in last night. What more do you want from a winger? The guy's been out for a while and I hope he gets another run out on Saturday.

Harris was fairly steady last night imo. Great ball across goal from the byeline second half that Murray should have tucked away and some decent defensive work too - other than the one where he lost the ball after winning it and almost cost us a goal.

RIP
27-04-2017, 10:28 PM
They'll hear much worse from the stands every week than on here.

Sadly you are spot on. Some numpties pay £22 just to abuse our own player. I was in front of half a dozen of these bedwetters at Hampden. Not one player escaped their panic-ridden, greeting abuse.

Not the type you'd want on your side in a battle.

IberianHibernian
27-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Both better footballers than Boyle in my opinion, perhaps not as busy but smarter passing and more dangerous.Don`t like to compare players since in this case maybe Harris , Humphrey and Boyle could all do a job for us . I haven`t seen enough of Humphrey to judge him but I agree about Harris who I think could make a major contribution next season ( and maybe be sold on for a high price - hate saying this but modern football is like that ) while I think at best Boyle will be a good sub in some games especially against bottom 6 teams .

CMurdoch
27-04-2017, 11:55 PM
I will be very disappointed to see Harris in a Hibs shirt next year. Didn't do near enough last night and sold team mates short with passes on a number of occasions. Also had the ball taken off him in the second half that could have resulted in a goal but for what looked like dodgy decision from the ref. Sorry but he's not good enough and has had more than enough chances

He was clearly pushed by the attacker after outrunning him. Clear free kick.

KWJ
28-04-2017, 07:06 AM
Saw the game from about half an hour in and thought Humph did well and generated chances more often than not when given the ball. Harris didn't do anything for me to suggest he's ever going to return to his early form.

Loved Humphs touch in 2nd half to get away from McHattie following an average pass from Efe.