PDA

View Full Version : Player development

Lancs Harp
27-04-2017, 08:39 AM
The team selection last night as much as anything has given us something to chew the fat over. We made many changes and won the game and in making those changes gave fringe players a game and youngsters their big chance. Thinking back to when I was a young player (I played in the West Lancs league for a few seasons) a question I would like to pose is, is it better to make whole sale changes like last night or draught say a couple of players at a time? Ive always thought that it was easier to settle into a settled team and would make it easier for youngsters like we had out last night to make an impact. Cant be easy trying to shine in a team full of irregular players (for want of a better expression) all trying to make an impact too, gives it an air of a trial. Lennon and his staff will more or less know what all these players are capable of does throwing them all into battle together at once enhance their chances over blooding one or two at a time? How is the best way to bring players on?

Your thoughts on a postcard.

Leith's finest
27-04-2017, 08:47 AM
I'm a st holder and accept the way the team was selected as the league was won, however if i paid £22 as a walk up fan i would not have been chuffed about paying that amount of cash to watch young/fringe players also Raith giving a guard of honour for players who have played not a lot was a bit cringworthy

cmcd
27-04-2017, 08:49 AM
I thought all the young boys played well particularly in the first half .Was disappointed in the defence but I would be surprised if all three are with us next season.

GreenNWhiteArmy
27-04-2017, 08:57 AM
I was a walk up fan with my dad last night. To be honest, with the league won i knew exactly what we were in for and pay to watch Hibernian FC. We did however have 6 or 7 players regularly involved in the first team starting last night

In terms of bringing in the young players in to the first team, it can work either way i guess. Bringing them in together when they play most weeks in the development squad can be good because they know each other's movement etc well whereas they wouldn't with the first team regulars involved potentially. The flip to that is there would be less pressure in an environment where we have a strong line up so others are supposed to step up and deliver.

I'm comfortable with the team that played last night. Some of the noises coming from near me in the FF upper were worrying. We have to allow these players to develop in the first team and if that means losing possession or a stray pass here and there then so be it. These young guys need to be allowed to express themselves

cmcd
27-04-2017, 10:34 AM
I was a walk up fan with my dad last night. To be honest, with the league won i knew exactly what we were in for and pay to watch Hibernian FC. We did however have 6 or 7 players regularly involved in the first team starting last night

In terms of bringing in the young players in to the first team, it can work either way i guess. Bringing them in together when they play most weeks in the development squad can be good because they know each other's movement etc well whereas they wouldn't with the first team regulars involved potentially. The flip to that is there would be less pressure in an environment where we have a strong line up so others are supposed to step up and deliver.

I'm comfortable with the team that played last night. Some of the noises coming from near me in the FF upper were worrying. We have to allow these players to develop in the first team and if that means losing possession or a stray pass here and there then so be it. These young guys need to be allowed to express themselves

Could you please name the 6/7 regulars

Brightside
27-04-2017, 10:36 AM
The team selection last night as much as anything has given us something to chew the fat over. We made many changes and won the game and in making those changes gave fringe players a game and youngsters their big chance. Thinking back to when I was a young player (I played in the West Lancs league for a few seasons) a question I would like to pose is, is it better to make whole sale changes like last night or draught say a couple of players at a time? Ive always thought that it was easier to settle into a settled team and would make it easier for youngsters like we had out last night to make an impact. Cant be easy trying to shine in a team full of irregular players (for want of a better expression) all trying to make an impact too, gives it an air of a trial. Lennon and his staff will more or less know what all these players are capable of does throwing them all into battle together at once enhance their chances over blooding one or two at a time? How is the best way to bring players on?

Your thoughts on a postcard.

Bringing back the reserve league will help with the development of these players.. Get them in against hardened Pros then its not as much of a system shock when they go into a "mans" games.

GreenNWhiteArmy
27-04-2017, 10:40 AM

yep with ease

Laidlaw, Forster, Ambrose, Keatings, Graham, Shinnie, Mclean, Harris and Humphrey. All spend their days training with the first team and are included in most matchday squads

Actually, that's 9

Mango Man
27-04-2017, 10:40 AM

Ambrose, Laidlaw, Forster, Keatings, Shinnie, Graham?

Billy Whizz
27-04-2017, 10:41 AM
Bringing back the reserve league will help with the development of these players.. Get them in against hardened Pros then its not as much of a system shock when they go into a "mans" games.

Underscore, I hear this all the time about a reserve league. In the development league, you can play up to 5 over age players. Is this not enough experience to help the young ones?
Only asking!

Brightside
27-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Underscore, I hear this all the time about a reserve league. In the development league, you can play up to 5 over age players. Is this not enough experience to help the young ones?
Only asking!

It doesnt seem to happen tho does it? We put players out on Dev loans at lower league clubs so they can get used to harder more physical games. You watch a shed load more Dev games than me Billy but I'm told they have an air of friendlies about them?

Im not sure what the answer is....but the step up at 18/19 does seem to be tough for the majority.

tamig
27-04-2017, 10:53 AM
I'm a st holder and accept the way the team was selected as the league was won, however if i paid £22 as a walk up fan i would not have been chuffed about paying that amount of cash to watch young/fringe players also Raith giving a guard of honour for players who have played not a lot was a bit cringworthy

Surely you support Hibs though? It shouldn't really matter who the personnel are. I was looking forward to seeing some new/returning faces last night when I saw the line-up. It certainly never made me think twice as to whether I'd attend or not.

Billy Whizz
27-04-2017, 10:55 AM
It doesnt seem to happen tho does it? We put players out on Dev loans at lower league clubs so they can get used to harder more physical games. You watch a shed load more Dev games than me Billy but I'm told they have an air of friendlies about them?

Im not sure what the answer is....but the step up at 18/19 does seem to be tough for the majority.

Fair points you make. Don't think the clubs can afford to have a development squad and a team to play in reserve leagues. We tend to use older players in the development team retuning from injury/ not had much game time.
Not read much about Project Brave, but are they suggesting that we reduce the number of young professional players, and introduce reserve football?

One thing I will say, is a Neil Lennon is a great supporter at development games. He would probably be in attendance of at least 75% of them, and is actively involved in talking to the players during the games.
Full marks to Neil for this

SMAXXA
27-04-2017, 11:17 AM

😂😂😂😂 epic fail?

cmcd
27-04-2017, 11:38 AM
😂😂😂😂 epic fail?

I was under the impression we were talking about regular starters .Obviously we were not

GreenPJ
27-04-2017, 11:51 AM
I still struggle to understand why no one really looks to consider partnering with a club/clubs in the bottom 2 divisions (or even abroad) - we ship out the best 5/6 boys on loan each year - you maintain a development league for the 15-18's and when they start to show promise they are available for loan as well. Clearly anyone deemed good enough stays at the home club and progresses to the first team squad without the need of a loan.

For me the development league should be all about developing technique - the hardened aspects of playing the game and decision making will only come in truly competitive games and therefore they need to be playing first team football somewhere if they are ever going to be good enough to make it.

You need to have a formalised agreement in place with 1 or 2 clubs so you know the style of football that will be played and can support that club with fitness, strategy and development coaching. It wouldn't be about making a Hibs II but gives some assurance that after investing in these players development they can then go on and prove (or otherwise) they can handle the next step up. They won't all make it but if you had 2 or 3 coming through each year to be first team players then you are getting some level of return.

Lancs Harp
27-04-2017, 12:10 PM
I still struggle to understand why no one really looks to consider partnering with a club/clubs in the bottom 2 divisions (or even abroad) - we ship out the best 5/6 boys on loan each year - you maintain a development league for the 15-18's and when they start to show promise they are available for loan as well. Clearly anyone deemed good enough stays at the home club and progresses to the first team squad without the need of a loan.

For me the development league should be all about developing technique - the hardened aspects of playing the game and decision making will only come in truly competitive games and therefore they need to be playing first team football somewhere if they are ever going to be good enough to make it.

You need to have a formalised agreement in place with 1 or 2 clubs so you know the style of football that will be played and can support that club with fitness, strategy and development coaching. It wouldn't be about making a Hibs II but gives some assurance that after investing in these players development they can then go on and prove (or otherwise) they can handle the next step up. They won't all make it but if you had 2 or 3 coming through each year to be first team players then you are getting some level of return.

Some good points. Alternatively I think an advantage of the development system is that say we garner (word of the day claim) a Hibs way of playing I believe the Develpoment team should play the same way or style/system so enabling development players to more easily be introduced into the first team. That would be more difficult to achieve if a number of players are hived off to say the likes of Edinburgh City or Montrose or someone. Having said that young lads clearly get good experience playing first team football at a young age down the leagues. Perhaps our young players should be coached the "Hibs way" and then loaned out.

Personally its a subject that interests me and would love to hear what our clubs blueprint is for this and developing players in general, surely we have one?

CMurdoch
27-04-2017, 01:28 PM
I think that Edinburgh City is a good place for the better young players to go to play and toughen up.
They train with Hibs and play competitive league football alongside experienced pro's.
They currently have Craig Beattie, Derek Riordan and Josh Walker in their ranks all of whom have played at a high level.