PDA

View Full Version : Holt - get him signed!

Paisley Hibby
26-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Class act and could be a great coach in years to come. Well worth another 12 month contract.

Ronniekirk
26-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Class act and could be a great coach in years to come. Well worth another 12 month contract.

Lennon has said Holt has other issues to sort out first Sounds like he wants to do coaching and move back south possibly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elephant Stone
26-04-2017, 09:03 PM
Lennon has said Holt has other issues to sort out first Sounds like he wants to do coaching and move back south possibly

Holt wants to stay:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-legend-grant-holt-wants-his-hibs-future-sorted-1-4986593

Lancs Harp
26-04-2017, 09:08 PM
He helped us get out of the Championship and put his shiftin but this team will move on again next season. We need better IMO.

Ronniekirk
26-04-2017, 09:09 PM
Holt wants to stay:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-legend-grant-holt-wants-his-hibs-future-sorted-1-4986593

Interesting New he hadnt been offered contract but assumed he had indicated he was mulling over other things he wanted to do
Lennon realises he needs more goals from Strikers So if Keating's and Boyle both stay and they also want to then Holt may have to be the one to make way for new striker
Will be interested to see how this one pans out

Jim44
26-04-2017, 09:10 PM
I think Holt and also Keatings have earned the offer of a new contract. Whether the terms of the contract would appeal to them is another matter.

1van Sprou7e
26-04-2017, 09:10 PM

Assuming these "other issues" are sorting his family situation out, IIRC they are still down south so maybe he wants to think before he stays in Scotland for another year

18Hibee75
26-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Loved big holty since day one, he's obviously no where near as good as he once was and is probably a wee bit past it, but he works hard and compliments Cummings, when playing against premiership opposition this season he has been brilliant, would love to see him get a chance next year - not as a starter as I feel we could certainly get better, but would be a good player to bring on a bully defences.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

26-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Would love Holt to stay! :thumbsup:

HibbyKeith
26-04-2017, 09:52 PM
We don't have anyone else like him. doesn't win to many headers but still manages to bully defences.

He has played an enormous part in our promotion and looks like a great character to have around the dressing room. A positive team spirit should never be under estimated and the togetherness of this group of players is probably the best we've had in a long long time.

Wouldn't be disappointed if we are able to get him for another season.

Jones28
26-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Holt and Keatings must stay next season. Those 2, Cummings and another striker next season would be marvellous.

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-04-2017, 09:59 PM
He's got us up the park, won free kicks,held the ball up and linked in very well with Jason.

He's been a good enough signing this year. Would like to see him stay for another year as I believe against the better sides he's proved his worth.

If he decides it's not for him then he gets my best wishes. As opposed to some of the pricks in our "support" that mock and humour him for various reasons

heretoday
26-04-2017, 10:01 PM
He'll need to watch his weight in the top league.

gaz1875
26-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Took his goal really well today, wasn't an easy chance :top marks

Pedantic_Hibee
26-04-2017, 10:05 PM
I think he's different class for a variety of reasons and hope he stays.

wookie70
26-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Not for me. Like the big man but not enough goals or assists and very little movement. He will be 37 and playing up a level from this year where he has scraped pass marks at best.

Tamhere1875
26-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Think the club are waiting to see how he does with his coaching badges before offering him a contract

Fergus52
26-04-2017, 10:54 PM
Would be happy to keep him on as backup next year. He hasn't scored enough goals and his lack of mobility can look pretty bad sometimes, but his link up play and ability to unsettle centre-backs is underrated by a lot of our support IMO. Would be handy to have coming off the bench.

ballengeich
26-04-2017, 10:58 PM
Despite his obvious technical skill, I have doubts about whether he's got the pace to contribute in the premier.

Stokesy's on fire
26-04-2017, 11:30 PM
He's a real hand full and he makes a massive difference when he comes on

Unseen work
27-04-2017, 12:36 AM
What a difference a week makes!

GreenLake
27-04-2017, 01:22 AM
Holt should keep the number 9 shirt for another season.

Paisley Hibby
27-04-2017, 06:49 AM
Despite his obvious technical skill, I have doubts about whether he's got the pace to contribute in the premier.

That didn't seem to be a problem against the second best team in the Premiership at Hampden last Saturday??

Ozyhibby
27-04-2017, 07:17 AM
So from this thread we should keep Holt, Keatings, Cummings and Graham has a year left on his deal. That means no new striker for next season.

JDHibs
27-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Holts played against 2 premiership teams this season, Hearts and Aberdeen, and he was excellent in both games!

Maybe hasnt scored a great amount of goals, but his all round play is excellent. Links the play well. Holds the ball up. Plays well with Cummings. Wins free kicks and gives the opposition a nightmare.

As for people making comments about his weight, hes shown more than enough to suggest hes still very fit for a 37 year old man whos had several serious injuries in recent years.

100% sign him up!

Ozyhibby
27-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Holts played against 2 premiership teams this season, Hearts and Aberdeen, and he was excellent in both games!

Maybe hasnt scored a great amount of goals, but his all round play is excellent. Links the play well. Holds the ball up. Plays well with Cummings. Wins free kicks and gives the opposition a nightmare.

As for people making comments about his weight, hes shown more than enough to suggest hes still very fit for a 37 year old man whos had several serious injuries in recent years.

100% sign him up!

Can't believe people want us to go with the same strike force as this season.

lucky
27-04-2017, 08:18 AM
There's no place for sentiment in football. Holt has done well for us but if Lenny thinks there's better out there then then he moves on.

Andy74
27-04-2017, 08:18 AM
So from this thread we should keep Holt, Keatings, Cummings and Graham has a year left on his deal. That means no new striker for next season.

Does it?

Blaster
27-04-2017, 08:34 AM

Graham will be away and Cummings possibly too. Can't completely change everything at once. We'll still need a new striker in and a good one

B.H.F.C
27-04-2017, 08:47 AM
Graham will be away and Cummings possibly too. Can't completely change everything at once. We'll still need a new striker in and a good one

To be fair, Cummings is the only one of the current strikers that would be difficult to replace.

I'd be disappointed if we went in to next season with the same strikers as this season given the goal return from them this year.

Blaster
27-04-2017, 08:54 AM
To be fair, Cummings is the only one of the current strikers that would be difficult to replace.

I'd be disappointed if we went in to next season with the same strikers as this season given the goal return from them this year.

So would I. Graham out and at least one quality striker in. And another if Cummings goes which I obviously hope he doesn't

Fergus52
27-04-2017, 12:02 PM

Think most people would want Graham out. So that leaves space in the squad to sign a partner for Cummings, with Holt, Keatings and Shaw as back up.

If Cummings does go then we'll probably have to sign two strikers.

dmc1875
27-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Should be given a deal absolute no brainer for me. Cummings might be away but presuming he stays I'd be happy to keep Holt Cummings and Keatings from this year, Graham departs and another quality striker in.

stoneyburn hibs
27-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Hope we have him here for another year. Graham couldn't lace his boots, which was more than evident last night.

WeeRussell
27-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Would quite like to see Keatings with us again next season, but Cummings is the only 'first team striker' one I would really miss.

Apart from that, fresh faces all round would be my preference.

Lancs Harp
27-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Would quite like to see Keatings with us again next season, but Cummings is the only 'first team striker' one I would really miss.

Apart from that, fresh faces all round would be my preference.

Agree. I think Holt will struggle in the Premier, think hes struggled a bit this season to be honest but then Im not a fan of a big man upfront anyway, slows the game down too much for me, we need a mobile strikeforce that can benefit from a midfield that likes to play football. Of course you need options but even as a big man option I feel we could do better.

Holt works hard and has a great attitude but Im afraid where we are heading he'll need more. He doesnt score enough, he is often anywhere on the park but where (IMO) he should be and I dont quite get this notion of his links well with Jase comes from, to me he doesnt, being a big man mobility isnt his game obviously.

We'll miss hi at the near post defending corners but thats not really the main criteria for a striker is it?

Sorry I just feel we'll need better.

patlowe
27-04-2017, 12:20 PM
The Holt that played against Hearts and Aberdeen - keep.

The Holt that's been pretty average in the majority of league games - let go.

I guess the question is whether he raised his game against the 'better' sides and the poor performances against the championship fodder is his natural level, or whether his game is more suited to playing in matches against better teams where we are on the back foot a bit more. If the latter is true then I'd be inclined to give him another year, but it's a tough one for Lennon. As people have said previously, it would be folly to go into the next season with the same strikeforce as this year so difficult decisions will have to be made somewhere to free up room in the squad.

#persevered
27-04-2017, 01:20 PM
I'd keep him. I think he's been unlucky with goals this year. Granted I want to see him in the box a lot more but we've probably put 10 decent crosses to him all season, better deliveries and he'd score a lot more. His hold up play and influence in the big games are well worth having in the prem. Scott Martin mentioned Holt having a real positive influence on the 20s squad in his post match last night.

Peevemor
28-04-2017, 05:40 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-jason-cummings-most-of-my-goals-down-to-grant-holt-1-4431770

“Holty’s been a massive influence on me this season,” Cummings told the Evening News. “The majority of my goals have come from him. A lot of people don’t see what he does off the ball, all the wrestling with defenders to put me in better positions and things like that. For me, he’s one of the players of the year at Hibs because he’s helped me so much on and off the pitch. He’s actually been a really close mate as well – he makes me laugh for an old guy!

“I probably enjoy playing with him more than any other partner I’ve had because he does all the stuff I hate doing like winning headers and battering defenders. He helps me in that department. The reason he’s not scored as many goals is that he’s very unselfish with his work. He works for the team more than himself and he puts me in a lot of really good positions. If I was to thank anyone for the amount of goals I’ve scored this season, it would be Holty.”

murray26
28-04-2017, 06:50 AM
Nice words from Jason but he might not even be here himself next season.. as for Holty I would give him a year on the understanding that he wouldn't be a regular starter more of a plan B type player.

keep the faith
28-04-2017, 07:06 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-jason-cummings-most-of-my-goals-down-to-grant-holt-1-4431770

But surely he can only be judged on goals..... say some on here. Dont start taking into account the views of those who actually play with him and actually see his value!!
Get him signed up Hibs.

The Modfather
28-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Think we all appreciate the role of a big bruising striker, and a good option to have. With the money put into the club from the fans I'd be hoping to sign a striker like that who is more mobile, is seen in the box and scores goals too.

I'd be disappointed to retain Holt, even more so to reatain both him and Keatings as both haven't delivered anywhere enough this season. We have, or should have the budget to sign real quality, not settle for familiarity.

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-04-2017, 08:56 AM
But surely he can only be judged on goals..... say some on here. Dont start taking into account the views of those who actually play with him and actually see his value!!
Get him signed up Hibs.

Exactly

Onion
28-04-2017, 09:08 AM
IMO Lennon's biggest success was identifying the kind of player we needed to get Hibs out of the Championship - which Stubbs teams lacked. Combative, physical, no-nonsense and experienced. Holt fits that bill perfectly and played his part in really tough physical games against Falkirk, DUFC. But the team we need to compete in the Prem is not the same as the one needed to win the Championship. Speed, mobility, efficiency and goalscoring are more important, and sadly Holt offers non of these now.

Huge fan of Holt and what he's done for the club this year, but there's no place for misplaced loyalty and sentiment. Need to find better strikers for next season.

Smartie
28-04-2017, 09:20 AM
IMO Lennon's biggest success was identifying the kind of player we needed to get Hibs out of the Championship - which Stubbs teams lacked. Combative, physical, no-nonsense and experienced. Holt fits that bill perfectly and played his part in really tough physical games against Falkirk, DUFC. But the team we need to compete in the Prem is not the same as the one needed to win the Championship. Speed, mobility, efficiency and goalscoring are more important, and sadly Holt offers non of these now.

Huge fan of Holt and what he's done for the club this year, but there's no place for misplaced loyalty and sentiment. Need to find better strikers for next season.

How would you explain the fact that in recent months Holt's best games have come against Premier League opposition?

There are different ways to win football matches and you need to have a few different options at your disposal. Holt isn't a complete player any more but he has a lot of attributes that other players don't.

I think he's been a success over the season and would be happy to have him back next year. He had a poor spell of form between the Hearts and Aberdeen games but he's been generally very good at other times.

Slavers
28-04-2017, 09:28 AM
I'd give Holt another year if only to play against the Jambos to terrorize them once again!

jacomo
28-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Get him signed up Hibs.

Some were advocating getting rid of Jason in January because "all he does is score goals".

Just filter out the nonsense chat.

Holt obviously offers us something and if he stays next season he will get my support. We do definitely need more of a goal threat next term though.

WeeRussell
28-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Get him signed up Hibs.

Nope, you're right in that he can't only be judged on goals. But I doubt if Lennon will sign him for another year because he makes Jason laugh either.

A few people suggesting he remains as 'backup'... isn't he already getting a a decent wage as a first team player? The money could definitely be invested better elsewhere.

neil7908
28-04-2017, 12:51 PM
It's a no from me unless he's on peanuts or takes a coaching role with the playing side very much a back up.

OsloHibs
28-04-2017, 12:53 PM
And a no from me too.

Scouse Hibee
28-04-2017, 01:34 PM

This is bang on the money for me, said at the time that Lennon has signed players to get us up and would then move them on.