PDA

View Full Version : Michael Grant on Hibs

JeMeSouviens
26-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Sheep****ging journo in The Times:

The sun shone on Leith
Has any club enjoyed having the Cup more than Hibernian? Did it mean the world to recent winners like Inverness Caledonian Thistle and St Johnstone? Of course. Every year it’s hugely special to those who go all the way and it palpably means more to first-time or infrequent winners. But from that (generally well-intentioned) Hampden pitch invasion to the huge Cup parade in Edinburgh, to the endless tour of the trophy, to the team’s fifth-round defeat of Hearts in an Easter Road replay, to the fans dominating (in number and volume) Saturday’s semi-final, to their team’s stirring fightback and desperately cruel defeat, Hibs most certainly revelled in their 11-month love affair with the old pot. They were great Cup winners and holders.

:top marks

Earlydelivery
26-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Sheep****ging journo in The Times:

:top marks
Fantastic, we knew that anyway.

Elephant Stone
26-04-2017, 02:18 PM
They were great Cup winners and holders.

We're still the holders and we'll be addressed as such. :aok:

Smartie
26-04-2017, 02:40 PM
They were great Cup winners and holders.

We're still the holders and we'll be addressed as such. :aok:

I'm delighted that that has been pointed out somewhere in the media and I agree 100%.

Good on the guy for pointing it out, and not going with the tired Glaswegian line that we're some sort of bunch of hooligans who ruined Scotland's showpiece occasion, which we did not.

A lot of teams disrespect competitions these days, from the nonsense that is spouted about the success of finishing 4th in a big European league and getting into the Champions League to all EPL teams playing under-strength teams in the FA Cup.

We've given the Scottish Cup a shot in the arm. It means the world to us. It would mean the world to Rangers to get their hands on it again. Aberdeen would dearly love to get their hands on it and having wrestled our hands off it it would be deserving to see them lift it.

It always disappoints me when Celtic win it. They cheer for half an hour before going home for their tea, unless it is part of a treble or some sort of 285 in a row run that sticks it to The Rangers.

Our Scottish Cup win was great for Scottish football and most people know it.

snooky
26-04-2017, 02:47 PM
I'm delighted that that has been pointed out somewhere in the media and I agree 100%.

Good on the guy for pointing it out, and not going with the tired Glaswegian line that we're some sort of bunch of hooligans who ruined Scotland's showpiece occasion, which we did not.

A lot of teams disrespect competitions these days, from the nonsense that is spouted about the success of finishing 4th in a big European league and getting into the Champions League to all EPL teams playing under-strength teams in the FA Cup.

We've given the Scottish Cup a shot in the arm. It means the world to us. It would mean the world to Rangers to get their hands on it again. Aberdeen would dearly love to get their hands on it and having wrestled our hands off it it would be deserving to see them lift it.

It always disappoints me when Celtic win it. They cheer for half an hour before going home for their tea, unless it is part of a treble or some sort of 285 in a row run that sticks it to The Rangers.

As is every non-OF cup win.

CallumLaidlaw
26-04-2017, 03:08 PM
It always disappoints me when Celtic win it. They cheer for half an hour before going home for their tea.

I think you're being extremely generous there. Half a minute maybe. I was amongst a fair few of them in hospitality for the 2013 cup final, and they didn't stand for a single goal with some leaving before the trophy was even presented.

snooky
26-04-2017, 03:23 PM
I think you're being extremely generous there. Half a minute maybe. I was amongst a fair few of them in hospitality for the 2013 cup final, and they didn't stand for a single goal with some leaving before the trophy was even presented.

Years ago when supporters weren't segregated, my best mate (who is a Jambo) was at a Celtc/Hearts final.
Celtc won easy. A totally blootered soapdodger turned to my mate at the final whistle and spluttered out "What's the score?"
He actually didn't know. Pissed my mate off no end.
Your story above doesn't surprise me in the least, Callum.

Jack
26-04-2017, 03:24 PM

We've given the Scottish Cup a shot in the arm. It means the world to us. It would mean the world to Rangers to get their hands on it @@@@@@@@@again@@@@@@@@. Aberdeen would dearly love to get their hands on it and having wrestled our hands off it it would be deserving to see them lift it.

They would have to win it once to be able to win it again!

Anyway. I think Hibs winning the damn thing touched many hearts in Scotland, supporters of other teams and people who would not otherwise have an interest in football.

I've been approached by a good few people on my travels since we won the cup. A jambo congratulated me in Barcelona as did one of the Barca officials when I did the stadium tour, the same happened when I visited Real Madrid. Then In Turkey. In San Francisco, twice in New Zealand and Sydney the cup win was brought up by folk in bars and stuff. On the ship there were loads of passengers and crew all brought it up. It was all quite touching!

I quite often wear a Hibs t-shirt or baseball cap when abroad.

snooky
26-04-2017, 03:27 PM
They would have to win it once to be able to win it again!

Anyway. I think Hibs winning the damn thing touched many hearts in Scotland, supporters of other teams and people who would not otherwise have an interest in football.

I've been approached by a good few people on my travels since we won the cup. A jambo congratulated me in Barcelona as did one of the Barca officials when I did the stadium tour, the same happened when I visited Real Madrid. Then In Turkey. In San Francisco, twice in New Zealand and Sydney the cup win was brought up by folk in bars and stuff. On the ship there were loads of passengers and crew all brought it up. It was all quite touching!

I quite often wear a Hibs t-shirt or baseball cap when abroad.

Your surname isn't "Tar", is it? :cool2:

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-04-2017, 03:37 PM

Oddly enough, there were Ross Co fans ahead of us at the bus stop outside Hampden immediately following the final whistle in last seasons LC Final, still cannae fathom it out!

Robinho08
26-04-2017, 04:22 PM
It's been fantastic, I don't think any future cup win will match that. Long time coming.

First and currently the last big club to win the Scottish. 🏆 😁

GreenLake
26-04-2017, 04:32 PM
It has been a great time for sure and it isn't over till we forget about it.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2017, 04:35 PM
Oddly enough, there were Ross Co fans ahead of us at the bus stop outside Hampden immediately following the final whistle in last seasons LC Final, still cannae fathom it out!

I think a lot of County 'fans' at that game where local people in attendance for a day out and hoping to witness a big day for the town.

Don't get me wrong that meant a lot to the real County fans but there just isn't that many of them (that's not a dig, for the popualtion of Dingwall their attendances are very respectable).

Mango Man
26-04-2017, 05:13 PM

Indeed, I remember walking past a loads of them not long after the game, and you would not think they had just won their first major trophy.

RoYO!
26-04-2017, 05:50 PM
What a superb sum-up! :D

oneone73
26-04-2017, 06:00 PM

Possibly due to public transport constraints?

Pete70
26-04-2017, 09:34 PM

Don't you mean to win it for the first time? :greengrin

brog
26-04-2017, 09:38 PM
That's just a great article. Well done to the journo, shows clowns like Traynor & Jackson how a piece can be properly written.