PDA

View Full Version : Are we second best Im Scotland?

18Hibee75
25-04-2017, 08:27 PM
As most have probably seen, Lennon has called us the second best team in Scotland. IMHO I agree with him to an extent, when we are at our best we can beat anyone bar Celtic in Scotland. We play some brilliant football at time and we have seen that against pretty much every premiership team we've played while in the championship.

Neil Lennon is a winner, it is hard to look past his ability to change a teams mentality and I'm very happy that he is here with us. We are a very hard team to beat, we have a great team spirit and our spine of the team is undoubtedly solid. If we can keep hold of SJM, Cummings and Mcgregor we can finish second.

Neil Lennon has done his job with us this season and I'm satisfied with what he has done, a cup Semi final to defend our cup and we have won the title as well. If Lennon can get his winning mentality across to all our players then we could be a brilliant side with a habbit of winning, I genuinely feel that there are some great days ahead with Lennon and the squad we have, what a time to be a hibee.

GGTTH

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
25-04-2017, 08:29 PM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?321127-Second-best-team-in-Scotland

Skol
25-04-2017, 08:29 PM
NO

18Hibee75
25-04-2017, 08:30 PM
NO
Who is?

calumhibee1
25-04-2017, 08:30 PM
As most have probably seen, Lennon has called us the second best team in Scotland. IMHO I agree with him to an extent, when we are at our best we can beat anyone bar Celtic in Scotland. We play some brilliant football at time and we have seen that against pretty much every premiership team we've played while in the championship.

Neil Lennon is a winner, it is hard to look past his ability to change a teams mentality and I'm very happy that he is here with us. We are a very hard team to beat, we have a great team spirit and our spine of the team is undoubtedly solid. If we can keep hold of SJM, Cummings and Mcgregor we can finish second.

Neil Lennon has done his job with us this season and I'm satisfied with what he has done, a cup Semi final to defend our cup and we have won the title as well. If Lennon can get his winning mentality across to all our players then we could be a brilliant side with a habbit of winning, I genuinely feel that there are some great days ahead with Lennon and the squad we have, what a time to be a hibee.

GGTTH

We're not. And to be honest, we're not particularly near it. On any given day, we can compete with anyone in a one off game. If anyone thinks that we're even close to an Aberdeen side who have picked up more points, scored more goals, and have a better goal difference than us, while also being a league above us and, whether we like it or not, just beat us in the cup, then they're kidding themselves on.

If the shoe was on the other foot and we were sitting 2nd next season, got the the final of the League Cup final only to be defeated by Celtic and say Dundee United won the Championship and we beat them in the Scottish Cup Semi final yet their manager came out and claimed they were the 2nd best team in the country we'd be pissing ourselves laughing.

Niffy
25-04-2017, 08:39 PM
I'll be anal and say no , we're 13th as it stands.
Ask the same question next year, on paper we're maybe amazing.

neil7908
25-04-2017, 08:47 PM

GGTTH

No offence mate but I don't even think there is a debate to be had. Aberdeen are second in SPL, and have made 2 cup finals. Not only that they did beat us at the weekend! Yeah we played better than them but they still beat us over 90 minutes!

We'll see where we are next year but right now we are a Scottish Championship team.

On our day we can of course beat anyone but then we can also lose to anyone. If Raith win 2moro are they suddenly better than us?

It's all about consistency and our league form and performance in the cups this year is nowhere close to good enough to allow us to make that claim.

I love a confident manager but if Cathro had said this we'd be pishing ourselves.

Pretty Boy
25-04-2017, 08:48 PM
No.

The cup games over the last 2 seasons have shown we can compete with good Premiership opposition in cup games 3 or 4 times. Doing that week in, week out is far more challenging and we have struggled to win games convincingly consistently in the 2nd tier never mind the Premiership.

We should be aiming for top 5 next season but we will have to improve to achieve that.

Skol
25-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Who is?

Currently Aberdeen or Rangers. We are a long way from 2nd best. We made heavy weather of winning the championship.

FFS - when did we last finish top 6 far less 2nd best

SirDavidsNapper
25-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Need to catch up with the cheaters before we tackle the Dons for 2nd. "On form Souttar and Walker are better players than Ambrose and Commons. Djoum is better than Henderson". Some goon on Sickback still thinks the Jambottlers are a better side. Going to be a long hard season facing those 3 superstars.

Sammy7nil
25-04-2017, 08:58 PM
No

half.time.draw.
25-04-2017, 09:00 PM
It's gamesmanship to put a challenge out to the players.
The mans a winner, and us Hibbies need to get used
To having a winner as a manager, and not a manager
Who sugar coats crap results..

Sir David Gray
25-04-2017, 09:23 PM
It's a bit difficult to argue that we're the second best team in the country until we're actually competing in the best league in the country.

There's no question that we have the ability and the potential to be the second best team in the country (unless Sevco buck up their ideas) but until we're actually playing in the top league again then we can't really make that assertion.

What I will say is, I like hearing that kind of talk from the Hibs manager and it tells me that Lennon will be aiming for second place next season which is music to my ears. It sounds like the top six isn't going to be the target for us next season which I'll be so glad about as that isn't something that we should be aiming for. Small teams aim to get into the top six, teams with real ambition will be aiming for second or third place.

frazeHFC
25-04-2017, 09:54 PM
It's gamesmanship to put a challenge out to the players.
The mans a winner, and us Hibbies need to get used
To having a winner as a manager, and not a manager
Who sugar coats crap results..

This. I'm liking the arrogance about us just now. If everyone else hates us for it then so be it! Will be delighted with a top 4 finish next season though, 2nd is maybe a bit of a stretch in our first season back. Good that we are targeting it though.

AgentDaleCooper
25-04-2017, 10:07 PM
Our squad is the second best in Scotland, and on our day, we are the second best team in Scotland. IMO, we've been under performing because a lot of our players are sick of getting lumps kicked out of them by teams that park the bus every week, john mcginn in particular. I think we'll see a very different team next year, though it'll be mostly the same players :aok:

:flag::flag::flag:

Not In The Know
25-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Can we beat Aberdeen, hearts, sevco? Yes.
Can we beat Dundee, Hamilton, ICT consistently? No.

Not second best yet.

Sir David Gray
25-04-2017, 10:29 PM
Can we beat Aberdeen, hearts, sevco? Yes.
Can we beat Dundee, Hamilton, ICT consistently? No.

Not second best yet.

That's ok, two of those three might be relegated at the end of the season so we won't need to play them next season anyway. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
25-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Who is?

Aberdeen as proved by their league position and cup runs.

heretoday
25-04-2017, 10:36 PM
We're not second best but if it annoys certain hoofball practitioners to say so then so be it.

snooky
25-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Not yet but working on it :flag:

Man Down Under
25-04-2017, 10:50 PM
I think we're joint second ;)

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
25-04-2017, 11:56 PM
No. There wasn't much between us and the second place team in Scotland in a one off game but the Dons have been pretty consistent in the league and are second on merit. Top 6 shouldn't be beyond us next season. A European spot would be a nice bonus.

Waxy
26-04-2017, 05:57 AM
Yes we are

Onion
26-04-2017, 06:25 AM
No chance of us being the 2nd best team. Yes, on our day, our players have shown they can compete with anyone, but the 2nd best team is able to do that consistently, time and again.

Lennon has just been daft, and in danger of marking Hibs as a big target to be shot down by every other SPL team next season for his arrogance.

Phil MaGlass
26-04-2017, 06:40 AM
Yes were the second best.

SO the big question is

"WILL WE SKOOSH SECOND"?:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2017, 07:22 AM
No chance of us being the 2nd best team. Yes, on our day, our players have shown they can compete with anyone, but the 2nd best team is able to do that consistently, time and again.

Lennon has just been daft, and in danger of marking Hibs as a big target to be shot down by every other SPL team next season for his arrogance.

Agree, Championship manager proclaiming his league winners as 2nd best team in Scotland is crazy.

makaveli1875
26-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Agree, Championship manager proclaiming his league winners as 2nd best team in Scotland is crazy.

2nd best is crazy , we are the best . The only reason celtic are unbeaten because theyve not played the hibees :greengrin

Johnny_Leith
26-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Brendan Rodgers claimed St Mirren are the best domestic side Celtic have faced, and we've finished umpteen points clear of them.... 😉

Cabbage East
26-04-2017, 07:56 AM
No, we aren't. But if we do what Aberdeen have done for the last 3 years then yeah, we will be.

Spike Mandela
26-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Unlikely, but if we are, we will have to prove it rather than just claim we are.