PDA

View Full Version : Rob McLean

BullsCloseHibs
25-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Apologies if already been mentioned, but anyone see the nick of him on tv at the weekend? WTF has he invented himself as? He looks like some dude that's turned tramp overnight. It's not a good look RM.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Mr Monotonous (Rob that is!)

heretoday
25-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Mogadon Man.

snooky
25-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Thought I'd switched on to Crime Watch.

heretoday
26-04-2017, 03:54 PM
He's such a poor commentator. No one has managed to better Archie Mcph - hard though it may be to believe.

It's something to do with natural enthusiasm which Archie and the likes of Coleman had.

SirDavidsNapper
26-04-2017, 04:01 PM
He's such a poor commentator. No one has managed to better Archie Mcph - hard though it may be to believe.

It's something to do with natural enthusiasm which Archie and the likes of Coleman had.

Can't stand Archie McPhersons commentary. Used to love listening on the radio as a youngster when David Begg and Alastair Alexander were commentating.

Robinho08
26-04-2017, 04:12 PM
He was looking ancient on the telly at the weekend. Managed to find him by accident on that fanpic thing too. 😆

banarc7062
26-04-2017, 05:36 PM
I loved Arthur Montford on STV with his "stramash" etc

snooky
26-04-2017, 06:25 PM

"The ball's in the net and it's Argentina here we come!"

:not worth (and that's just for the jeckets)

NAE NOOKIE
27-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Somebody should tell Rob that unfortunately once you get to a certain age that haven't shaved for a few days look stops making you look like Mr badass from the movies and starts making you look like a homeless dude and probably makes folk question the quality of your overall personal hygiene :greengrin

DaveF
27-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Somebody should tell Rob that unfortunately once you get to a certain age that haven't shaved for a few days look stops making you look like Mr badass from the movies and starts making you look like a homeless dude and probably makes folk question the quality of your overall personal hygiene :greengrin

Yeah, I agree with that. I've not shaved for over a week and now look like I live in a skip.

Deansy
27-04-2017, 11:51 AM

One of my favourite Arthur Montford commentaries - Scotland v Czechoslovakia 1973 !. Just listen to that 'impartiality' as Dennis Law wins the ball and is on a one-to-one with the Czech goalie - 'C'mon Dennis, c'mon Dennis !' - just quality !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyQUI79WSW4

Jones28
27-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Who was it that commented on the Souness game at ER? Always enjoyed his commentary.

Mr White
27-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I agree with that. I've not shaved for over a week and now look like I live in a skip.

:hilarious

Get rid of your dog lead and replace it with a tatty piece of rope to complete the look :greengrin

Drumlanrig
27-04-2017, 12:00 PM

Anybody remember David Francey?

Smartie
27-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Can't stand Archie McPhersons commentary. Used to love listening on the radio as a youngster when David Begg and Alastair Alexander were commentating.

I wish I'd appreciated Begg and Alexander more at the time.

They were the best there has been.

Chuck in Bob Crampsey and the radio coverage really was superb.

KazHibby
27-04-2017, 02:23 PM

A true leg end!

Hillsidehibby
27-04-2017, 02:26 PM
One of my favourite Arthur Montford commentaries - Scotland v Czechoslovakia 1973 !. Just listen to that 'impartiality' as Dennis Law wins the ball and is on a one-to-one with the Czech goalie - 'C'mon Dennis, c'mon Dennis !' - just quality !!

"Watch your legs Willie".

northstandhibby
27-04-2017, 02:31 PM
We've had some shockers down the years the worst being for me Gerry McNee. Some just aren't suited for commentary another one being Allan Preston.

My favorite was and still is Arther Montford.

glory glory

BSEJVT
27-04-2017, 05:29 PM

"Its a drive and its high-h over the top

Great commentator

WoreTheGreen
27-04-2017, 05:32 PM
We've had some shockers down the years the worst being for me Gerry McNee. Some just aren't suited for commentary another one being Allan Preston.

My favorite was and still is Arther Montford.

glory glory
"And the heads go up"

ColinNish
27-04-2017, 05:38 PM

I heard you look like that even if you do shave....

:greengrin

stantonhibby
27-04-2017, 06:03 PM

Was there not some Scottish radio commentator who was doing his first ever game......Commentary went like( you have to imagine him saying this quickly and getting more and more excited). Smith on the ball, beats one, beats two, twists, turns, shoots......, and he's hit the effing bar. Probably an urban myth but great if true!!

s.a.m
27-04-2017, 06:23 PM

:agree: Absolutely.

snooky
27-04-2017, 06:23 PM
I remember watching the highlights of a Hibs game years ago in black & white. Although this might not be verbatum, George Davidson's commentary went something like this....
"It's O'Rourke or Stevenson to kick-off. No it's Quinn."

northstandhibby
27-04-2017, 07:02 PM
"And the heads go up"

Classic!

My favorite was - 'its a GOAL',

Brilliant.

glory glory

Babyshamble
27-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Who was it that commented on the Souness game at ER? Always enjoyed his commentary.

Jock brown ?

heretoday
27-04-2017, 07:47 PM

Yes! "Oh dear oh dear!"

Viva_Palmeiras
28-04-2017, 06:30 AM
Can you speak without sounding as though you have a peg on your nose?
Can you have pronounce L and R ?

Initial qualify out criteria

sambajustice
28-04-2017, 06:48 AM
Wireless days!

I remember I used to listen to the radio and for whatever reason they weren't allowed to commentate on the first half* so just had a gab. Second half they commentated on the game of the day, I think it was Bob Crampsey that did it. I can't remember much but remember enjoying it!

Also, not sure how I found this out but if you farted about with your dialler phone it would pick up a radio signal as well! I remember listening to an old firm game on the phone!!!

Then there was teletext! Page 310 for Scottish scores and 304 for English 1st div/premier scores! Ah, the good old black and white days!

*radio coverage might have started from the 40th minute for some strange reason, it rings a bell!

--------
28-04-2017, 10:40 AM

Thank you for that. Great days. "Disaster! Absolute disaster for Scotland!" Never one for sitting on the fence was Arthur. And the SPORTS JACKETS! :not worth:not worth:not worth

Oh aye. Saturday afternoons, second half commentaries with irregular updates on the other games. How did we live without Jeff Stelling and Mad Cammie?

Wireless days!

I remember I used to listen to the radio and for whatever reason they weren't allowed to commentate on the first half* so just had a gab. Second half they commentated on the game of the day, I think it was Bob Crampsey that did it. I can't remember much but remember enjoying it!

Also, not sure how I found this out but if you farted about with your dialler phone it would pick up a radio signal as well! I remember listening to an old firm game on the phone!!!

Then there was teletext! Page 310 for Scottish scores and 304 for English 1st div/premier scores! Ah, the good old black and white days!

*radio coverage might have started from the 40th minute for some strange reason, it rings a bell!

The guy I remember doing the commentaries was David Francie and actually he was very good at giving you a sense of the game flowing back and forth. Bob Crampsey was the 'luxury high end' of the market, IIRC - there was hardly anything he didn't know about Scottish football (or anything else).