PDA

View Full Version : Stadium maintenance

Viva_Palmeiras
25-04-2017, 06:16 AM
So we're ahead of most of the game with our stadium.
Someone on the Budges Bargain thread quoting £500k to maintain Pittodrie ?!

Wonder What it our annual outlay on maintenance is on ER and EM and when we'll need to step up on mantenance as the cheeky scamp ages...? In future years how would rebuild be financed? Are we putting a little away to build up some funds or do we just take the hit when it comes?

Anything been talked about in Working Together.

Scouse Hibee
25-04-2017, 06:27 AM
One thing they need to spend money on in the West Upper is the Letters identifying the rows, only a couple in place and been like that for a few seasons.

Deansy
25-04-2017, 06:50 AM
The canopy over the front main-entrance could do with a lick of paint - or at least some of the rust scraped-off !

ronaldo7
25-04-2017, 07:11 AM
We don't have a stadium manager, he's left the building.

Ozyhibby
25-04-2017, 07:24 AM
What we save on maintenance at Easter road we probably lose on maintenance of East mains as both Hearts and Aberdeen have cheaper arrangements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twiglet
25-04-2017, 07:29 AM

When?!

Keith_M
25-04-2017, 07:46 AM
It's actually a very good point, as I've seen a few stadiums that looked amazing when they were built but have aged prematurely because of lack of care.

I think some Clubs need to take a leaf out of the SRU's book, as the East Stand at Murrayfield was built over 30 years ago and still looks in good condition. I think they put a lot of effort and time into Maintenance of the stadium

overdrive
25-04-2017, 08:18 AM
LD intimated to us when she was in touch about us moving due to the FF changes that parts of the FF Stand were no longer fit for purpose due to the age of the stand.

Billy Whizz
25-04-2017, 08:21 AM

Keith?

hibbie02
25-04-2017, 09:10 AM
LD intimated to us when she was in touch about us moving due to the FF changes that parts of the FF Stand were no longer fit for purpose due to the age of the stand.

I would go along with that. Was in the Upper FF for the Falkirk game and the concourse was like a cave. A lick of paint would do wonders.

.Sean.
25-04-2017, 09:36 AM
The stadium could really do with getting tarted up tbh. A good power wash and some fresh paint would do wonders.

And a wee thing that for some reason really winds me up is the pitch growning onto the astroturf run-offs!

oconnors_strip
25-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Keith?

Yeah, he left a few weeks ago. Don't know the reasons though

Billy Whizz
25-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Yeah, he left a few weeks ago. Don't know the reasons though

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear this

Austinho
25-04-2017, 10:05 AM
And what has happened to the roof of the Famous Five and South stands? They used to be nice and prestine white - now they are horribly grey and scabby.

Before
After

Get it sorted Petrie!

ronaldo7
25-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the update, sorry to hear this

They'll struggle to find a replacement who'll put in the hours he did.

SirDavidsNapper
25-04-2017, 10:08 AM
The stadium could really do with getting tarted up tbh. A good power wash and some fresh paint would do wonders.

And a wee thing that for some reason really winds me up is the pitch growning onto the astroturf run-offs!

That gets on my nerves too. Looks tatty.

offshorehibby
25-04-2017, 10:08 AM
They'll struggle to find a replacement who'll put in the hours he did.

Here here.

greenlex
25-04-2017, 10:10 AM
He was still in post at the Falkirk game.

Onceinawhile
25-04-2017, 10:13 AM
He was still in post at the Falkirk game.

His last game was the Morton game.

Shame that he's left. Good guy.

Geo_1875
25-04-2017, 10:36 AM
And what has happened to the roof of the Famous Five and South stands? They used to be nice and prestine white - now they are horribly grey and scabby.

Before
After

Get it sorted Petrie!

That's strange that the East and West are still unblemished. My original thought was bird**** or an accumulation of dust but that wouldn't explain the difference.

Austinho
25-04-2017, 10:38 AM
That's strange that the East and West are still unblemished. My original thought was bird**** or an accumulation of dust but that wouldn't explain the difference.The roofs were still white when the new east stand was being built, so it's only been in the last few seasons. The grey areas look square, so it looks deliberate to me. Maybe the white panels have been removed for some reason.

Pretty Boy
25-04-2017, 10:39 AM
2 or 3 years ago a squad of fans got together to paint steps and undertake various other tasks to tidy the place up and keep costs down.

Maybe an option here to do similar again. Maybe one for the fans reps to take on?!

Pretty Boy
25-04-2017, 10:40 AM
The roofs were still white when the new east stand was being built, so it's only been in the last few seasons. The grey areas look square, so it looks deliberate to me. Maybe the white panels have been removed for some reason.

Possibly to allow more sunlight through to the pitch?

CapitalGreen
25-04-2017, 10:52 AM
Are we sure the roofs are still in this condition? There was work done on the stands during the post-season last year.

Billy Whizz
25-04-2017, 11:10 AM
2 or 3 years ago a squad of fans got together to paint steps and undertake various other tasks to tidy the place up and keep costs down.

Maybe an option here to do similar again. Maybe one for the fans reps to take on?!
I did a bit of this, and stickered all the missing numbers on the seats

Renfrew_Hibby
25-04-2017, 11:15 AM
I think the pics of the FF & South stand roofs are misleading. 2 or 3 years ago there was a big spruce up of both and I think these pics were taken between the old layers being scraped off and the new being applied. From street level we could only see the work that was carried out on all the supports and girders. They were all stripped back and now are as bright green as the day the stands were opened.

wookie70
25-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Are the grey areas on the FF not transparent roof panels

NAE NOOKIE
25-04-2017, 01:16 PM
I would imagine that stadium maintenance is a pretty hefty cost for Hibs, but like all buildings its worth it to avoid far larger costs further down the line .... look how long the Forth bridge has lasted :greengrin

I note somebody mentioning that LD had said part of the reason for changes to use of the FF was because 'due to the age of the stand parts of it were no longer fit for purpose' ...... I just don't get that at all, if it was fit for purpose when it was opened why not now? I cant imagine its because of the lift issue or that BTG needed tarted up, you don't abandon a whole stand in order to avoid the cost of replacing an elevator or needing new carpets and a few tables surely to goodness. Getting a wedge of cash in rent from the NHS that exceeds income from BTG and avoids us having to pay for repairs and refurbishments makes economic sense and if that's the real reason, why not just say so :dunno:

Ah ken its no maintenance, but I hope Hibs do have plans to create a replacement for BTG, for all the reasons I have banged on about on previous threads IMO it would be a huge mistake not to replace it.

CapitalGreen
25-04-2017, 01:46 PM
I would imagine that stadium maintenance is a pretty hefty cost for Hibs, but like all buildings its worth it to avoid far larger costs further down the line .... look how long the Forth bridge has lasted :greengrin

I note somebody mentioning that LD had said part of the reason for changes to use of the FF was because 'due to the age of the stand parts of it were no longer fit for purpose' ...... I just don't get that at all, if it was fit for purpose when it was opened why not now? I cant imagine its because of the lift issue or that BTG needed tarted up, you don't abandon a whole stand in order to avoid the cost of replacing an elevator or needing new carpets and a few tables surely to goodness. Getting a wedge of cash in rent from the NHS that exceeds income from BTG and avoids us having to pay for repairs and refurbishments makes economic sense and if that's the real reason, why not just say so :dunno:

Ah ken its no maintenance, but I hope Hibs do have plans to create a replacement for BTG, for all the reasons I have banged on about on previous threads IMO it would be a huge mistake not to replace it.

Can it not be both?

surreyhibbie
25-04-2017, 01:50 PM
His last game was the Morton game.

Shame that he's left. Good guy.

I agree, he showed me and the Mrs around the whole stadium when we were up on holiday and I asked if I could see my stone on the wall of the East stand. took us through the changing rooms and everything.

Really nice guy. Warned us not to go near the pitch though!
:agree:

NAE NOOKIE
25-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Can it not be both?

It can be ... but the point I was making, rather badly, is that the club seemed to be inferring that the interior of the FF stand would have been out of commission and unavailable for use by the fans even if the deal with the NHS hadn't been struck. In the grand scheme of things the FF stand is still pretty young and it puzzles me as to why Hibs are putting the idea out there that its no longer fit for the purpose for which it was originally intended, or at least for the purpose for which it has been used for the last 20 years or so, given that its still a relatively modern stand.

As I've said before, I think having a supporters bar in the stadium was a very good thing, regardless if the issues of profit and running costs IMO it played a very useful part in helping to cement the connection between the club and the fans ..... If all that's going to be available from now on is West Stand hospitality where you have to pay extra, quite a bit extra, to be entertained within the stadium pre match then that is not the same thing, that is just a way to get fans to part with more of their money .... don't get me wrong, I'm not against Hibs doing that, all clubs do and a lot of fans like to treat themselves to a bit extra now and again.

But a supporters bar is different, without having to pay extra, or at least no more than you would pay to drink outside the stadium, the fans can feel that the stadium isn't just a facility belonging to Hibernian FC PLC football business to be used to sook up their cash, but a facility that on a Saturday in its fullest meaning is a place where the whole Hibernian family come together as one and its not all just about your money but your value as part of the afore mentioned Hibs family.

That to me is the true value of a supporters bar and why I sincerely hope we will see if not a new one, then at lest plans for a new one, before the 17/18 season commences.

Pete
25-04-2017, 02:43 PM
Tidying up all the wiring would be a start.

I'm no spark and don't know what it all is but it looks messy, especially in the FF.

Since90+2
25-04-2017, 02:45 PM
Has there been any further comment from the club about Behind the Goals closing and what the alternative plans are?

Neil4Hibs
25-04-2017, 03:18 PM
I agree, he showed me and the Mrs around the whole stadium when we were up on holiday and I asked if I could see my stone on the wall of the East stand. took us through the changing rooms and everything.

Really nice guy. Warned us not to go near the pitch though!
:agree:

Agree, when I was up to have my photo with the cup he opened up the East Stand for us to find my brick. Couldn't have been more helpful, and we had a bit of banter with him too. Nice guy.

Pretty Boy
25-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Agree, when I was up to have my photo with the cup he opened up the East Stand for us to find my brick. Couldn't have been more helpful, and we had a bit of banter with him too. Nice guy.

Keith was a decent guy. Sorry to hear he has left us.

judas
25-04-2017, 07:23 PM
The canopy over the front main-entrance could do with a lick of paint - or at least some of the rust scraped-off !

Yes. This makes me cringe every time I see it. We need to look after our assets and a recent tour of the stadium demonstrated to me that we aren't.

It will cost us more in the long run, if maintenance isn't treated seriously.

judas
25-04-2017, 07:35 PM
It can be ... but the point I was making, rather badly, is that the club seemed to be inferring that the interior of the FF stand would have been out of commission and unavailable for use by the fans even if the deal with the NHS hadn't been struck. In the grand scheme of things the FF stand is still pretty young and it puzzles me as to why Hibs are putting the idea out there that its no longer fit for the purpose for which it was originally intended, or at least for the purpose for which it has been used for the last 20 years or so, given that its still a relatively modern stand.

As I've said before, I think having a supporters bar in the stadium was a very good thing, regardless if the issues of profit and running costs IMO it played a very useful part in helping to cement the connection between the club and the fans ..... If all that's going to be available from now on is West Stand hospitality where you have to pay extra, quite a bit extra, to be entertained within the stadium pre match then that is not the same thing, that is just a way to get fans to part with more of their money .... don't get me wrong, I'm not against Hibs doing that, all clubs do and a lot of fans like to treat themselves to a bit extra now and again.

But a supporters bar is different, without having to pay extra, or at least no more than you would pay to drink outside the stadium, the fans can feel that the stadium isn't just a facility belonging to Hibernian FC PLC football business to be used to sook up their cash, but a facility that on a Saturday in its fullest meaning is a place where the whole Hibernian family come together as one and its not all just about your money but your value as part of the afore mentioned Hibs family.

That to me is the true value of a supporters bar and why I sincerely hope we will see if not a new one, then at lest plans for a new one, before the 17/18 season commences.

Have to say that I feel more connected to the club drinking in the stadium. The bar was a great thing and we need to open a new one somewhere within the stadium.

If it didn't make money It's because it was poorly managed. A queue out of the door with 2 bar staff and no cards taken (only cash). Brutal.

SON OF PADDY
25-04-2017, 08:20 PM
I did a bit of this, and stickered all the missing numbers on the seats

Hopefully someone going to paint letters on the steps
" West lower " really does my nut in when folks can't find their seats, back and forth looking for the row their ment to be sitting in.😬😬 Surely it's not that hard to learn the alphabet ? 😋

Fuzzywuzzy
25-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Sure there's ducting on the side of the FF near the east that looks ready to fall off

cabbageandribs1875
25-04-2017, 08:26 PM
hopefully after our good run in defending our cup we can now afford a couple of speakers in the east stand....all wired up and everything, it would then become real modern stadium with fans being able to hear wtf is being said

Billy Whizz
25-04-2017, 08:32 PM
hopefully after our good run in defending our cup we can now afford a couple of speakers in the east stand....all wired up and everything, it would then become real modern stadium with fans being able to hear wtf is being said

And a wee bit hot water as well!

Siralbertkidd
25-04-2017, 08:45 PM
And a wee bit hot water as well!

Totally agree, we have been spoilt being at Hampden so often where the speakers work and there is hot water in the toilets.
Surely we can do better than that place?

25-04-2017, 11:18 PM

Met him a couple of times. Huge Hibs fan who was so hospitable. Went into reception with with my uncle who lives in the USA and hadn't been in Easter Road since before it was redeveloped. Had a great laugh with him as he showed us around. Thanks again Keith.

ruthven_raiders
26-04-2017, 07:22 AM

Need speakers in all parts of the stadium 😱

Cabbage East
26-04-2017, 07:54 AM
Sorry to hear that Keith has left as he was a great guy. Gave me and a friend from the states a tour of the stadium at very short notice, let us into the changing rooms, managers office, dug out etc. Shame.

Jones28
26-04-2017, 09:54 AM
That grass growing on the astro run offs does my head in - if anyone from Hibs is reading this I'll come and sort it out for nothing.

Not In The Know
26-04-2017, 10:18 AM
That grass growing on the astro run offs does my head in - if anyone from Hibs is reading this I'll come and sort it out for nothing.

this!

hughio
26-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking the Club could do a lot better in maintaining the fabric of our club's stadium.

I would like to feel proud of every aspect of our ground.
When you look at the cold hostile breeze blocks and concrete,the ducting hanging down,wires all over the place,rusty paintwork etc you do think that a bit better could be achieved by a team with pride in their work improving things for the Club on a regular basis.

This before we mention the cold water,crappy sound system and the awful offerings and "service"at the so-called food bars.

The prospect of shutting down the BTG bar is a new one on me.The service there when I have been there has been diabolically slow.Its like they don't want to make money!Its a captive audience and supporters want to help the club FFS!

Please.... it doesn't take too much imagination to do far better Ms Dempster

:aok: