PDA

View Full Version : Yogi

Ozyhibby
25-04-2017, 03:29 AM
http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/04/24/raith-rovers-boss-john-hughes-insists-hibs-went-reverse-failed-back/?platform=hootsuite

He's not wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
25-04-2017, 03:48 AM
Ifs buts maybes. Seem to remember a long run of not winning games and Edwin VDG.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
25-04-2017, 03:51 AM
Ifs buts maybes. Seem to remember a long run of not winning games and Edwin VDG.

The article does say he was not allowed to sign the players he wanted and that is possibly why we ended up with Edwin VDG?

O'Rourke3
25-04-2017, 03:57 AM
Maybe it was but if his targets were Messi, Beckham et al he's playing fast and loose with facts. He brought in a lot of players in his time which suggests his targets were the problem rather than the backing.

J-C
25-04-2017, 06:26 AM
Sounds like the penny pinching era that was Petrie, losing out on main targets and instead ending up with 3rd and 4th choices, pretty sure Collins left complaining of the same thing.

The Modfather
25-04-2017, 06:32 AM
The article does say he was not allowed to sign the players he wanted and that is possibly why we ended up with Edwin VDG?

So is that the second manager now, Collins being the other, to say they weren't allowed to sign the players they wanted?

Maybe they both had unrealistic targets, or maybe Petrie was doing his Terry Butcher impression or running a football club which we've only just managed to recover from that damage done.

jacomo
25-04-2017, 06:35 AM
Fitba folk ken what's goan on.

northstandhibby
25-04-2017, 06:43 AM
Would we have acquired the holy grail and had whats been a roller-coaster journey of extreme highs and lows of the last 3 years or so? I wouldn't swap the last three years for anything now. Stubbs is the immortal legendary manager who led similarly a team of immortal legends into the history books.

As much as I have fond memories of Yogi as a player for us, I don't think we would ever have won the holy grail under his tenure as manager no matter how long he stayed.

glory glory

Pretty Boy
25-04-2017, 06:45 AM
Regardless of the players available we were tactically a shambles in the latter part of Hughes reign. St Johnstone away still gives me nightmares and his antics on the touchline that day were embarrassing.

Maybe he should have adjusted his side to suit the players he did have. Much like Fenlon did and Butcher should have.

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2017, 06:55 AM
Yogi remembers his tenure differently from me. Miles clear in 3rd and championship Ross County at home in the Scottish cup. County beat us after a reply and we went on a ***** run to just get 4th on the last day. He was useless in derbies as well.

People think Fenlon was carried by Griffiths but Yogi was carried much more by Stokes and Riordan. Fenlon also signed better players (Williams > 3 keepers Yogi signed, Doyle > Duffy/Gow, Claros >Liam Miller, Craig/Roberton > De Graff/Cregg)

I'd rather be in the champ with Stubbs than the top league with Hughes, bitter slavering buffoon. Sacking Hughes didnt start our decline, hiring him did.

Smartie
25-04-2017, 06:55 AM
Maybe it was but if his targets were Messi, Beckham et al he's playing fast and loose with facts. He brought in a lot of players in his time which suggests his targets were the problem rather than the backing.

At the start of his reign he brought in some very good players indeed - when we had Stokes, Miller and McBride playing we were often excellent. He's since done well at other clubs so I don't think it is his eye for a player that is the problem.

His last transfer window was as bad as we've had, up there with Fenlon's before the relegation season. Losing Stokes late in the window, signing Darryl Duffy on loan and panic buying Valdas Trakys after the window had closed?

I agree with what Yogi said in the article, I reckon he was Petried during that window (as was Pat).

To think that someone, somewhere thought getting rid of Yogi and appointing Colin Calderwood was the solution......

tamig
25-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Hughes is maybe right. It's also interesting to see the freefalll Inverness have experienced since he left. I believe he left there afer a falling out with the chairman for failing to back his transfer policy. I always thought of him as a bit of a slaver but he talks a lot of sense there - although easy to look back with benefit of hindsight.

Hibbyradge
25-04-2017, 07:01 AM
No strikers away to Maribor. O'Connor and Riordan on the bench. Lost 3-0.

hibs#1
25-04-2017, 07:05 AM
Yogi remembers his tenure differently from me. Miles clear in 3rd and championship Ross County at home in the Scottish cup. County beat us after a reply and we went on a ***** run to just get 4th on the last day. He was useless in derbies as well.

People think Fenlon was carried by Griffiths but Yogi was carried much more by Stokes and Riordan. Fenlon also signed better players (Williams > 3 keepers Yogi signed, Doyle > Duffy/Gow, Claros >Liam Miller, Craig/Roberton > De Graff/Cregg)

I'd rather be in the champ with Stubbs than the top league with Hughes, bitter slavering buffoon. Sacking Hughes didnt start our decline, hiring him did.

I'd agree with that especially the comparing of players.it's easy for Hughes to now say I wasnt backed.still doesn't excuse some of the signings.

However he has a point we have went backwards since he left but he also had his part to play.always thought it was a bit of comfort blanket for managers that have failed here to blame petrie.never hold there hands up and admit there own mistakes.

Ozyhibby
25-04-2017, 07:35 AM
It will be interesting to see if the board back the manager this summer. With attendances higher than they have been for a long long time there should be a significant lift in the quality of our signings. Will we see it? We didn't last season.

CRAZYHIBBY
25-04-2017, 07:42 AM
Yogi was an erse who signed ***** players

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2017, 07:42 AM
It will be interesting to see if the board back the manager this summer. With attendances higher than they have been for a long long time there should be a significant lift in the quality of our signings. Will we see it? We didn't last season.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhy on earth would you want us to bring in quality players? You'll have nothing to post about.

Heisenberg
25-04-2017, 07:46 AM
The lack of budget available doesnt seem to hinder Ross County or Patrick for example. He made a mess of his signings with the budget we had. Valdas Trakys ffs!

Onion
25-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Hughes trying to re-write history. Apart from the first 6 months, when he had a lot to thank Stokes for, Hughes was an incoherent buffoon as a Hibs manager who was taking the team / club on a journey to the bottom.

Petrie was right to sack Hughes, Fenlon, Calderwood and Butcher, as none of them should have been appointed in the first place.

oldbutdim
25-04-2017, 08:03 AM
A selective memory there I think.

It almost sounds as if he's bin places and dun hings.

BroxburnHibee
25-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Taking Deek off in the 6-6 game when he was playing a blinder was another tactical masterstroke I remember.

mjhibby
25-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Every manager moans about budgets. What yogi did at the start then gradually didn't do was getting the right players in within our budget. Lennons signings have been mixed but he has got the job done. We were going backwards at an alarming rate before yogi was punted. Obviously the mistake was in who we got in. We got lucky with Stubbs and will struggle to get anyone better than Lennon. The common denominator is l Dempster. Simple as as far as I'm concerned. Knows what she is doing and backs the manager.

Speedway
25-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Specious reasoning is in bloom.

If ANY manager signed the players they wanted, they'd do better. That's not Yogithink.

The fact remains that he presided over a collapse at Motherwell in what I maintain was Graeme Smith either being the worst goalkeeper of all time or paid to throw the match.

The fact remains that he presided over a dressing roompunch up.

The fact remains that Falkirk fans told us on his arrival that once a downturn came, he wouldn't have a clue what to do about it and Boy didnt that turn out to be accurate.

The fact remain that Valdas wore Trakys and whose fault was that?

Exactly.

greenlex
25-04-2017, 08:25 AM

Of course Lennon was backed. The main aim was to win promotion. The box was ticked a week and a half ago. Job done for everyone at the club. Why on earth would you spend more money than was necessary?

Stevie Reid
25-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Was as a season of two halves with Yogi, really:

1st half

P 19 W 9 D 6 L 4

2nd half

P 19 W 6 D 3 L 10

I certainly didn't see the slump coming. We had three great wins in a week at the end of January (including an away win at Celtic) and then drew at home with Aberdeen to take us four points clear in 3rd, with a game in hand. Dundee Utd had just lost Craig Levein and their results were suffering (it's ironic to think how hard they tried to get Pat Fenlon at that point) and I thought we were a shoe in for third.

In in the 3-0 defeat at Ibrox that kicked off the slump, we played very well and were never 3 goals worse than Rangers. We didn't half collapse though, we lost ten of our last 15 matches, which is horrendous. We went from having one of the best defences in the UK at Christmas, to looking like the most vulnerable Hibs team I'd ever seen at that point. At one point we lost 6 in a row, losing 15 goals in the process. Yes our excellent form from earlier in the season got us over the line despite a late push from Motherwell, and 4th is definitely not to be sniffed at given what happened subsequently.

He deserved a chance to take us into the following season, and had Riordan not missed a penalty against ICT at home, we may well have held onto his job. However, at the time he left we had one win in ten overall in the season, and four defeats from seven in the league. I wasn't sorry when he went, though I don't think we would have been as bad as we were under Calderwood, subsequently.

I'm glad that he's gone on to have successes elsewhere, and I think some of the things that were said about him when he was our manager were horrendously disrespectful. But I'm with others in that I wouldn't swap the last three years for anything, given how things have gone since our cup run started in 2016.

Hawick hibee
25-04-2017, 09:02 AM
I remember hearing Petrie's biggest fault in the dark days was that he gave a budget to the managers, when you look at turnover off players that budget would be easily one of the biggest in Scotland outwith the old firm. Fault being with this budget he let the managers spend it in whatever they wanted and maybe never really questioned the players being brought in. Now looking at that a chairman giving the manager a free reign on the football side, yes, but the dross that we signed back then he should have questioned the managers judgement!!!
Mr Petrie brought in managers and got rid of them, with a manager going you upset the continuity of the workplace as they take the backroom staff with them, so a new managers comes in, new way of working, new staff etc.. at the time we had a diss-functional club every 18 months. That's what was wrong with our club then, the chairman got the choice of manager wrong and he has to stand by that, which I think he does.
Never really have a bad thing to say about Rod as he got Leeann in and look at the club now if a manager goes we get one in that fits Hibs there isn't the turmoil behind the scenes anymore. Yogi can say all he likes but a manager goes by results, fact!!! Results normally defined by the type of players he brings in fact!!!

Smartie
25-04-2017, 09:17 AM
I think the decline under Yogi was summed up in one particularly abject match, a 0-0 draw at home to St Johnstone. It was freezing and we were abysmal. Well, the defence and goalkeeper were fine but we offered nothing going forward.

For that game, Colin Nish was the only fit striker at the club. Riordan was suspended and Duffy and Trakys were both injured. Nish was struggling for form at the time, he was played up front on his own and he struggled really badly, and iirc was "ironically cheered" as he went off to be replaced by David Stephens.

I remember thinking that this was a state of affairs that my Sunday League team would be ashamed of, let alone a Premier League football club that I'd paid about £400 for a season ticket for.

Yogi wasn't who I felt was to blame, I thought at the time and still do that it was Petrie playing silly beggars with the transfer negotiations over the summer costing us being able to bring in the players we needed, the same as happened to poor Fenlon a couple of years later after Griffiths and Doyle had left.

Stevie Reid
25-04-2017, 09:21 AM
I think the decline under Yogi was summed up in one particularly abject match, a 0-0 draw at home to St Johnstone. It was freezing and we were abysmal. Well, the defence and goalkeeper were fine but we offered nothing going forward.

For that game, Colin Nish was the only fit striker at the club. Riordan was suspended and Duffy and Trakys were both injured. Nish was struggling for form at the time, he was played up front on his own and he struggled really badly, and iirc was "ironically cheered" as he went off to be replaced by David Stephens.

I remember thinking that this was a state of affairs that my Sunday League team would be ashamed of, let alone a Premier League football club that I'd paid about £400 for a season ticket for.

Yogi wasn't who I felt was to blame, I thought at the time and still do that it was Petrie playing silly beggars with the transfer negotiations over the summer costing us being able to bring in the players we needed, the same as happened to poor Fenlon a couple of years later after Griffiths and Doyle had left.

Yogi had gone by the time of that game you are describing - was the weekend of the referees strike. Was still the players he left behind, but Calderwood was in charge.

jacomo
25-04-2017, 09:21 AM

Yet again you make this claim without any evidence.

As you don't know the player budget for this season, you are just speculating but dressing it up as FACT.

Craig_HFC
25-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Yogi is a ****ing buffoon.

The 6-6 game typified his time in charge; a great start but when the tactics needed changed he had no idea what to do.

.Sean.
25-04-2017, 09:40 AM
He's got a short short memory.

Woeful, headscratching signings for example the infamous 'goalie school' and baffling tactics week after week. He's lucky he even seen the end of that season as we were in complete and utter freefall and never even looked like making the top 4 atbne point. Most of us wanted him out after the Ross County replay

J-C
25-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Of course Lennon was backed. The main aim was to win promotion. The box was ticked a week and a half ago. Job done for everyone at the club. Why on earth would you spend more money than was necessary?

I would like to see what wages Graham, Humphrey and Holt are on plus the money we had to lay out to Celtic for Ambrose and Commons. Budgets can be either on wages, on transfers or both.

Lennon's problems have been and he's admitted it himself was the players he brought in haven't produced enough, we're talking Holt and Graham here, these 2 have been a massive let down in their goals return, yea ok Holt has had a few good games but we signed him as a scorer, that's why we've had to grind out so many draws to win the league.

Andy74
25-04-2017, 09:45 AM
He's done all right for a supposed buffoon. We'd take being 4th most years. I think given a bit of time to build the squad he would have added the type of players we needed when things were more of a battle.

That second half of the season we had some key injuries, the pitches were particularly bad and we ripped out the East stand. We just didn't have the players to adapt.

jacomo
25-04-2017, 09:48 AM
I would like to see what wages Graham, Humphrey and Holt are on plus the money we had to lay out to Celtic for Ambrose and Commons. Budgets can be either on wages, on transfers or both.

Lennon's problems have been and he's admitted it himself was the players he brought in haven't produced enough, we're talking Holt and Graham here, these 2 have been a massive let down in their goals return, yea ok Holt has had a few good games but we signed him as a scorer, that's why we've had to grind out so many draws to win the league.

We also gave new contracts to Jase, PH etc, with a full development squad too.

Next season we might finally see some real results from our investment in younger players. It's about time.

Speedway
25-04-2017, 09:59 AM
He's done all right for a supposed buffoon. We'd take being 4th most years. I think given a bit of time to build the squad he would have added the type of players we needed when things were more of a battle.

That second half of the season we had some key injuries, the pitches were particularly bad and we ripped out the East stand. We just didn't have the players to adapt.

I don't understand this. Why wasn't the manager prepared for 'key' injuries, poor pitches and players who could win a match without a small ramshackle stand on one side of the pitch? Didn't he have to deal with key injuries, even worse pitches and two stands missing in his previous job?

Steve-O
25-04-2017, 10:04 AM
http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/04/24/raith-rovers-boss-john-hughes-insists-hibs-went-reverse-failed-back/?platform=hootsuite

He's not wrong.

He is wrong. We went from possible title contenders to scraping fourth, and then started the next season horribly. He didn't leave us in fourth as he claims either I'm sure?

jacomo
25-04-2017, 10:05 AM
He is wrong. We went from possible title contenders to scraping fourth, and then started the next season horribly. He didn't leave us in fourth as he claims either I'm sure?

No of course he didn't.

Fine bit of revisionism by Yogi there.

matty_f
25-04-2017, 10:34 AM
He also says we've not been in Europe for a long time. Since the start of the season, Yogi.

J-C
25-04-2017, 10:35 AM
We also gave new contracts to Jase, PH etc, with a full development squad too.

Next season we might finally see some real results from our investment in younger players. It's about time.

I'm hoping to see more of Martin and Crane and Lennon himself wanted to see Shaw in the team but couldn't due to his loan.

Steve-O
25-04-2017, 10:36 AM
He also says we've not been in Europe for a long time. Since the start of the season, Yogi.

:hilarious

Andy74
25-04-2017, 10:44 AM
I don't understand this. Why wasn't the manager prepared for 'key' injuries, poor pitches and players who could win a match without a small ramshackle stand on one side of the pitch? Didn't he have to deal with key injuries, even worse pitches and two stands missing in his previous job?

Probably because you can't change everything in one season.

jacomo
25-04-2017, 11:03 AM
I'm hoping to see more of Martin and Crane and Lennon himself wanted to see Shaw in the team but couldn't due to his loan.

Yup, a bit of youthful exuberance could really make the difference next season!

Speedway
25-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Probably because you can't change everything in one season.

That's fair but presumably a manager of quality can halt a slide with a pre-season to regroup in, inbetween.

silverhibee
25-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Taking Deek off in the 6-6 game when he was playing a blinder was another tactical masterstroke I remember.

Even worse, Yogi blamed the strikers for losing the game. :greengrin

And a 2 week fine for Deek for stating the obvious about the pitch, the players were not happy that Yogi didn't defend Deek for his comments about the pitch.

Andy74
25-04-2017, 12:22 PM
That's fair but presumably a manager of quality can halt a slide with a pre-season to regroup in, inbetween.

Maybe until Rod tells him he gets to swap Stokes for Daryl Duffy!

JimBHibees
25-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Maybe until Rod tells him he gets to swap Stokes for Daryl Duffy!

He got Trakys as well though. :greengrin

green with envy
25-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Yogi is a ****ing buffoon.

The 6-6 game typified his time in charge; a great start but when the tactics needed changed he had no idea what to do.

And what pissed me off even more, if that was at all possible, was when he was caught on camera having a laugh with Craig Brown right after the final whistle. Could you imagine Lennon doing that.

Ozyhibby
25-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Stokes had two years left on his deal, there should have been no rush to sell for £800k.
Rod was penny pinching.

AgentDaleCooper
25-04-2017, 12:44 PM
we lost: stokes, benji, zemmama, bamba, makalambay, cregg, hogg, smith (keeper), mccormack, currie

we gained: de graaf, stephens, hart, dickoh, trakys, scott, thornhill, paslsson, sodje and latterly, half a vaz te.

great business :aok:

overdrive
25-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Stokes had two years left on his deal, there should have been no rush to sell for £800k.
Rod was penny pinching.

Was it not for non-football and non-financial reasons that we sold him on the cheap?

BroxburnHibee
25-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Was it not for non-football and non-financial reasons that we sold him on the cheap?

That's what we were told. Didn't stop him coming back though.

JimBHibees
25-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Rod was penny pinching.

Think there was a release clause was there not.

jacomo
25-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Think there was a release clause was there not.

I've asked about this on here before.

It was hinted that Stokes was a bad influence on the dressing room, but whatever the story it obviously didn't prevent him coming back on loan.

My best guess is that there was a clause in his contract allowing him to go if Celtc paid up. And they did.

leither17
25-04-2017, 03:28 PM
And what pissed me off even more, if that was at all possible, was when he was caught on camera having a laugh with Craig Brown right after the final whistle. Could you imagine Lennon doing that.

Was talked about on off the ball on Saturday as well he was tapping on the team bus window to Tam Cowan laughing after the game too.

Arch Stanton
25-04-2017, 03:32 PM
At the start of his reign he brought in some very good players indeed - when we had Stokes, Miller and McBride playing we were often excellent. He's since done well at other clubs so I don't think it is his eye for a player that is the problem.

His last transfer window was as bad as we've had, up there with Fenlon's before the relegation season. Losing Stokes late in the window, signing Darryl Duffy on loan and panic buying Valdas Trakys after the window had closed?

I agree with what Yogi said in the article, I reckon he was Petried during that window (as was Pat).

To think that someone, somewhere thought getting rid of Yogi and appointing Colin Calderwood was the solution......

I guess you think RP should just have kept on bankrolling Yogi until the club hit the buffers?

Cutbacks were required by overly high wages to turnover ratio and not just penny pinching for no reason. Better cup runs by Yogi woud have given him more cash for players - it was just beyond him.

HoboHarry
25-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Rod was penny pinching.

And you know for a fact there was no sell-on clause in there?

JimBHibees
25-04-2017, 03:41 PM
I've asked about this on here before.

It was hinted that Stokes was a bad influence on the dressing room, but whatever the story it obviously didn't prevent him coming back on loan.

My best guess is that there was a clause in his contract allowing him to go if Celtc paid up. And they did.

Would have been surprised if he left Sunderland to come to us unless there was an understanding of that nature.

Onion
25-04-2017, 04:00 PM
I guess you think RP should just have kept on bankrolling Yogi until the club hit the buffers?

Cutbacks were required by overly high wages to turnover ratio and not just penny pinching for no reason. Better cup runs by Yogi woud have given him more cash for players - it was just beyond him.

:agree: For all Petrie's faults, he has a record of withholding funds from managers who subsequently prove themselves to be less than astute when spotting decent signing targets. In many cases, it didn't take long for the manager to be found out.

Like most businesses, it's up to the manager to convince the Board to release the funds to satisfy their vision. Red Lex, Mowbray, Stubbs were all well supported for good reason.

Spike Mandela
25-04-2017, 04:07 PM
No strikers away to Maribor. O'Connor and Riordan on the bench. Lost 3-0.

That's the one that annoyed me. Stokes and Riordan had between 40-50 goals between them the year before in securing European football yet he drops them to the bench and plays Colin Nish as lone front man in this 0-3 humping.

Baffling.:confused:

Ozyhibby
25-04-2017, 04:08 PM
And you know for a fact there was no sell-on clause in there?

Do you know for a fact there was? Can you share?

Yuillsy
25-04-2017, 04:38 PM
He's got a short short memory.

Woeful, headscratching signings for example the infamous 'goalie school' and baffling tactics week after week. He's lucky he even seen the end of that season as we were in complete and utter freefall and never even looked like making the top 4 atbne point. Most of us wanted him out after the Ross County replay
The Ross County replay was a nightmare. Also Yogi's behaviour when he stormed on to the pitch when the half-time whistle went to berate Steve Thicot was embarrassing.
It's also interesting that probably his most successful period as a manager at ICT he had Russell Lately as an assistant rather than Brian Rice.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
25-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Do you know for a fact there was? Can you share?

What a daft response. You were the one who accused Rod of penny pinching - I never pretend to have inside knowledge and nor do I post comments as facts when I can't prove them.....

Ozyhibby
25-04-2017, 04:43 PM
What a daft response. You were the one who accused Rod of penny pinching - I never pretend to have inside knowledge and nor do I post comments as facts when I can't prove them.....

I'm just wondering why people keep saying there was one when I've not seen any evidence of it?

HoboHarry
25-04-2017, 04:47 PM
I'm just wondering why people keep saying there was one when I've not seen any evidence of it?

You stated that Rod was penny pinching and that came across as nothing more than a cheap shot at Rod Petrie which you evidently can't back up with facts. I never said that there was a clause in there but I did question you for stating a "fact" when you don't know either.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Yogi is the classic example of a manager with no "Plan B"

We played some lovely football in his tenure. One game in particular at home to Dundee United and Zemmama tore them a new one we were fantastic. Once teams sussed out how to play us we were screwed and kind of stumbled over the line to 4th place and European football when it could have been so much better.

The draws we were given in the scotish were continously favourable. But managed to screw that up then watched as RC got past celtic and in to the final.

The European "campaign" if you can call it that was a disaster. As alluded to, he didny just leave one out. He left out the 2 strikers that contributed about 50 goals the season before - TO GET US THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!! Madness

In hindsight it's easy to blame others but imo he failed to get the best out of some players then recruited poorly

stantonhibby
25-04-2017, 05:15 PM
The Ross County replay was a nightmare. Also Yogi's behaviour when he stormed on to the pitch when the half-time whistle went to berate Steve Thicot was embarrassing.
It's also interesting that probably his most successful period as a manager at ICT he had Russell Lately as an assistant rather than Brian Rice.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yep.....He seemed to spend whole game effing and blinding at Thicot

shetlandhibee
25-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Would we have acquired the holy grail and had whats been a roller-coaster journey of extreme highs and lows of the last 3 years or so? I wouldn't swap the last three years for anything now. Stubbs is the immortal legendary manager who led similarly a team of immortal legends into the history books.

As much as I have fond memories of Yogi as a player for us, I don't think we would ever have won the holy grail under his tenure as manager no matter how long he stayed.

glory glory did yogi not win it before us with ICT? if he got the nesesary support its posible he would have IMO..

bingo70
30-04-2017, 04:08 PM
https://twitter.com/grantsandison/status/858627974643548160

Absolutely brilliant interview with Yogi after the game yesterday. I was going to call it a rant but that wouldn't be fair on the guy. He may not come across as the most eloquent of speakers but if you can look past that he talks a lot of sense.

Hope Raith stay up.

blackpoolhibs
30-04-2017, 04:20 PM

Absolutely brilliant interview with Yogi after the game yesterday. I was going to call it a rant but that wouldn't be fair on the guy. He may not come across as the most eloquent of speakers but if you can look past that he talks a lot of sense.

Hope Raith stay up.

Thats quality, with a lot of very good points. :top marks

Sir David Gray
30-04-2017, 04:59 PM

Hope Raith stay up.

For me Hughes has caused a lot of the negativity within the dressing room following the match against us when he said that he would take the relegation play off place.

They finished off Wednesday night actually still ABOVE the relegation places and they had just two matches left, both against what were the bottom two teams in the league!

For Hughes to come out with that, I found that very bizarre and not what you want to hear from your manager ahead of two vital matches. I think it sent out completely the wrong message to the players.

jgl07
30-04-2017, 05:28 PM
So is that the second manager now, Collins being the other, to say they weren't allowed to sign the players they wanted?

Maybe they both had unrealistic targets, or maybe Petrie was doing his Terry Butcher impression or running a football club which we've only just managed to recover from that damage done.
Yet Mowbray somehow managed some decent signings without spending any real cash.

lapsedhibee
30-04-2017, 05:59 PM

Nah. Slaver. He's been reading books back to front for the last 35 years and it's society's fault that players today don't try harder.

Broken Gnome
30-04-2017, 06:10 PM
For me Hughes has caused a lot of the negativity within the dressing room following the match against us when he said that he would take the relegation play off place.

They finished off Wednesday night actually still ABOVE the relegation places and they had just two matches left, both against what were the bottom two teams in the league!

For Hughes to come out with that, I found that very bizarre and not what you want to hear from your manager ahead of two vital matches. I think it sent out completely the wrong message to the players.

He said in the same interview they were well capable of winning yesterday, which would have made them safe.

Came across as not actually having a clue what was required.

Sir David Gray
30-04-2017, 06:19 PM
He said in the same interview they were well capable of winning yesterday, which would have made them safe.

Came across as not actually having a clue what was required.

:agree: Yep.

"Right at this moment in time, I'll take a play-off place," Hughes told BBC Scotland. "We'll take our chances there.
"I think we can go to St Mirren and beat them. St Mirren are a much improved side since Christmas. Although we beat them 2-0 at our place [in March], I felt they were the better team and hopefully we can go and do that again on Saturday.
"It's nip and tuck."

Absolute nonsense interview.

JimBHibees
30-04-2017, 06:21 PM

Hope Raith stay up.

Some good stuff in the interview but some absolutely bewildering guff also. Bit about 2 players arguing when Saints scored was superb.

Winston Ingram
30-04-2017, 06:24 PM
We started going in reverse under him. Great 1st 4 months, appalling last 12. I remember us losing 5-1 at St Johnstone. We were an absolute shambles that night.

WoreTheGreen
30-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Not his biggest fan but agree100 % with him

Andy74
30-04-2017, 07:16 PM
We started going in reverse under him. Great 1st 4 months, appalling last 12. I remember us losing 5-1 at St Johnstone. We were an absolute shambles that night.

4 months? Think we were around be the top of the league in February.

I remember is being a shambles at times last season like losing 3-0 to Morton at home. It happens.

When we get back to being disappointed with 4th place and Europe we can start laughing at Hughes again.

keep the faith
30-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Tell you what. I know yogi can blow on a bit but his comments about raith being a poor side are true. The fact is that they were a decent side last year with a good manager. They brought in a manager who built this years team full of players everyone knew were past their best and were still brought in due to hearts connections.

I feel for raith fans. A decent club who became an old boys club this year and lost all their identity.

HibbyAndy
30-04-2017, 09:46 PM

Hope Raith stay up.

From a personal point of view i hope raith get relegated , They sacked Grant Murray as they wanted a top 4 finish with hibs hearts and sevco in the division , Also Murray gave them their first trophy in more than 20 years , I hope they slip lower and lower down the leagues and never come back

Mikey09
30-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Tell you what. I know yogi can blow on a bit but his comments about raith being a poor side are true. The fact is that they were a decent side last year with a good manager. They brought in a manager who built this years team full of players everyone knew were past their best and were still brought in due to hearts connections.

I feel for raith fans. A decent club who became an old boys club this year and lost all their identity.

Yep. When Locke let Lewis Vaughan go to Dumbarton on loan and signed Stevenson you just knew what was coming.

tamig
30-04-2017, 10:31 PM
4 months? Think we were around be the top of the league in February.

I remember is being a shambles at times last season like losing 3-0 to Morton at home. It happens.

When we get back to being disappointed with 4th place and Europe we can start laughing at Hughes again.
We had built up a healthy cushion due to that great first four months and Stokesy being on fire. It all fell apart after that 4-1 defeat to the hun at ER. So the previous poster's assertion of a great four months I'd absolutely agree with. I think everybody realises football can throw up the odd dodgy unexpected result. That isn't how it was with Yogi here. It was a short period of excellence followed by a long period of dross.

FitbaFolkKen
30-04-2017, 10:36 PM
From a personal point of view i hope raith get relegated , They sacked Grant Murray as they wanted a top 4 finish with hibs hearts and sevco in the division , Also Murray gave them their first trophy in more than 20 years , I hope they slip lower and lower down the leagues and never come back

I wonder if he was taken on with a long term view of potentially managing the club. He did pretty well with Raith.

Ozyhibby
30-04-2017, 10:54 PM
We had built up a healthy cushion due to that great first four months and Stokesy being on fire. It all fell apart after that 4-1 defeat to the hun at ER. So the previous poster's assertion of a great four months I'd absolutely agree with. I think everybody realises football can throw up the odd dodgy unexpected result. That isn't how it was with Yogi here. It was a short period of excellence followed by a long period of dross.

It was 4th in the league. We haven't been that high since. You can pick out individual games where we did poorly but he got us 4th. We haven't had a manager since who got close.

tamig
30-04-2017, 11:03 PM
It was 4th in the league. We haven't been that high since. You can pick out individual games where we did poorly but he got us 4th. We haven't had a manager since who got close.

I know it was fourth. We were neck and neck with the hun just before new year and looking like we could split the uglies. Then it fell apart and we were lucky to make it to 4th. We'd have been delighted with that at the start of the season but the way it panned out was pretty disappointing. We could and maybe should have finished even higher that season. That's my take on it anyway.

HibbyAndy
30-04-2017, 11:16 PM
I wonder if he was taken on with a long term view of potentially managing the club. He did pretty well with Raith.

Done brilliant with Raith ...The best manager they have had in decades and they replaced him with nonce after nonce

Boyle89
30-04-2017, 11:18 PM
Very good interview. Can tell he is hurting from a professional standpoint. If they do stay up they need to clear the decks and start again squad wise. One of their players leaked the raith team to the pars manager the night before the game in the last derby.

InchHibby
01-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Why on earth would you want us to bring in quality players? You'll have nothing to post about.

Ah know, some folk just don't think.

greenpaper55
01-05-2017, 07:22 AM
I remember an interview with Yogi after a defeat at Hamilton when he mentioned he had asked Rice if the players were up for it just after the warm up , Rice told him they were not ! How a manager can come out and say something like this is bizarre and from that it's clear he had lost the dressing room.

inglisavhibs
01-05-2017, 08:30 AM

Holt had a few good game? What utter rubbish, the big man had a huge influence on our season and did the job we needed. We didn't grind out draws, the vast majority of them we were the team in the ascendancy (Dunfemline home is one when we were fortunate in the second half). We have won the league comfortably and defended the cup brilliantly but still you have a dig at the manager.

PatHead
01-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Think Raith will struggle financially if they get relegated. Hope they stay up. Always felt sorry for them having to build the new stand look at Ross County with their temporary thing.they

JimBHibees
01-05-2017, 08:45 AM

The wheels had come off the wagon when he left though as we were one point off the bottom of the table and had an overall win rate at Hibs of 35% so not a huge surprise he left. The selling of Stokes and bringing in Darryl Duffy and Trakys must go down as an appalling piece of business.

hibs0666
14-05-2017, 10:29 PM

Hope Raith stay up.

That rant is straight out of the Terry Butcher school of motivational management with exactly the same end result.

HibbyAndy
14-05-2017, 10:43 PM
Delighted Raith are down.

snooky
14-05-2017, 11:11 PM
I know it was fourth. We were neck and neck with the hun just before new year and looking like we could split the uglies. Then it fell apart and we were lucky to make it to 4th. We'd have been delighted with that at the start of the season but the way it panned out was pretty disappointing. We could and maybe should have finished even higher that season. That's my take on it anyway.

We were stealing results and playing poorly but Deeks and Stokes were scoring goals with any chance that came their way.
I remember my mate & I saying that once started to play better we would be right up there.
Alas, our form never changed but the goals dried up and we were shown up for what we really were - a poor team.
Well at least that's my memory of those days.

Dunbar Hibee
15-05-2017, 03:56 AM
Although I'm sure his heart is in the right place, Yogi is a slavering buffoon, IMO. His interview the other week was embarrassing.

The Leith Dutch
15-05-2017, 06:41 AM

He's not wrong.

One of my memories of his time in charge was a cracking period up till the turn of the year followed by a distinct sense that the other teams had figured out how we play and realised there was no plan B.

A key thing I'm looking for in a Hibs manager these days is them having two or three gameplans and formations drilled into the team.

Brightside
15-05-2017, 06:55 AM
Although I'm sure his heart is in the right place, Yogi is a slavering buffoon, IMO. His interview the other week was embarrassing.

Spot on... reminded me too much off Butcher. Slating players in public when they need to win a game to survive will never ever be the right move.

lyonhibs
15-05-2017, 07:04 AM
An absolute slaver of the highest degree. Not at all surprised his motivational "honest" approach has resulted in relegation

SirDavidsNapper
15-05-2017, 07:17 AM

It came across a bit Billy Brownish really. I think he was trying to do a Lennon and get a reaction but it didn't quite work. If it had and they had stayed up then he would have been hailed as a bit of a Raith legend and his rant as some sort of masterstroke. Fine margins.

greenpaper55
15-05-2017, 07:23 AM
No doubt he will turn up on BBC radio as a "sage" !

eastmainsmsh
15-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Like yogi but was always going to be a task with raith sure he will bounce back

superfurryhibby
15-05-2017, 11:50 AM
The wheels had come off the wagon when he left though as we were one point off the bottom of the table and had an overall win rate at Hibs of 35% so not a huge surprise he left. The selling of Stokes and bringing in Darryl Duffy and Trakys must go down as an appalling piece of business.

If I recall right, it was very close to the deadline? I wonder who made the decision to take the cash then? That would explain the panic buys you refer to.

IWasThere2016
15-05-2017, 12:32 PM
That rant is straight out of the Terry Butcher school of motivational management with exactly the same end result.

Spot on... reminded me too much off Butcher. Slating players in public when they need to win a game to survive will never ever be the right move.

Summed up perfectly for me also gents.

eastmainsmsh
15-05-2017, 01:25 PM
after the 6 6 Motherwell game notice that buzz Smith in goals for Brechin on sat

Boyle89
15-05-2017, 01:32 PM
after the 6 6 Motherwell game notice that buzz Smith in goals for Brechin on sat

Hope Alloa pump them if that's the case! Horrible keeper. We had a 'school' of keepers to chose from at the time and Hughes gave him games😩.

Andy74
15-05-2017, 01:44 PM
Hope Alloa pump them if that's the case! Horrible keeper. We had a 'school' of keepers to chose from at the time and Hughes gave him games😩.

We didn't really, they were all injured.

Arch Stanton
15-05-2017, 05:04 PM
A bit of revisionism going on here I think. The accusation at the time wasn't that RP was 'penny pinching' but that he wasn't 'speculating to accumulate'.

Spending money you don't have - ring any bells?

jacomo
15-05-2017, 06:34 PM
A bit of revisionism going on here I think. The accusation at the time wasn't that RP was 'penny pinching' but that he wasn't 'speculating to accumulate'.

Spending money you don't have - ring any bells?

It's not just about the budget, the whole club was in a rut and not supporting the manager as it should.

To his credit, Rod belatedly realised this and hired Leeann, and she oversaw the overall of the football dept.

Moody Blues
15-05-2017, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=bigwheel;5043820]Honestly, in all the years on this

Agree with you bigwheel. there is no need for that kind of comment.

JimBHibees
15-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Honestly, in all the years on this - i think this is probably the rudest post i've ever read....bet your have never even met the guy..

And would certainly not say it to his face.

BullsCloseHibs
15-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Yip. It was an utter embarrassment for him. Right up there with the Cathro's of this world. And that's BAD!

BullsCloseHibs
15-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Like yogi but was always going to be a task with raith sure he will bounce back

Aye, bounce back as a bed salesman or summin

Spike Mandela
15-05-2017, 09:58 PM
We really love to rip to shreds Hibs legends on here don't we.:rolleyes:

Yogi gave his all as both player and manager for Hibs and any mistakes or poor runs of form from the team weren't down to any lack of effort from the man.

I would say Yogi has earned a bit of respect from supporters.

Captain Trips
15-05-2017, 10:03 PM

Yogi gave his all as both player and manager for Hibs and any mistakes or poor runs of form from the team weren't down to any lack of effort from the man.

When you look at the effort and attitude of some managers since Yogi then what you say is 100% correct. Managers and players fail as long as they are giving there all then fair enough.

Yogi IMO doesn't deserve some of the stuff said but hey ho.

ancient hibee
15-05-2017, 10:35 PM
He's left without a name in an article in today's Daily Mail.

Arch Stanton
16-05-2017, 07:21 AM

"We really love to rip to shreds Hibs legends on here don't we." - not that I've noticed to be honest.

Anyway, do you really think we should be supporting Yogi and slating RP for not backing him?

RP isn't worthy of respect then?

If Yogi cannot accept his own shortcomings then in that respect he won't get respect.:greengrin

steakbake
16-05-2017, 07:49 AM
A mixed bag for Yogi. ICT had one of their most successful seasons with him in charge winning the cup, he took Falkirk up and were beaten finalists. However, he's overseen Hartlepool and Raith being demoted - neither of which were entirely of his doing. I like the guy and think he gets a lot of unjustified stick.

WhileTheChief..
16-05-2017, 07:56 AM
One thing about Hughes is that he never accepts responsibility when things go against him. It's always someone else's fault.

At Hibs is was Petrie and at Raith it was the players' to blame. He took over when they were 8th in the league and managed to do a Butcher's job with them.

His interviews about hard working lads, boiler suits, putting a shift in etc mean nothing. What does a 20yo laddie care about how hard a miner had to work to put food on the table?

He's living in a bygone age that he didn't even belong to. A total slaver that could give Cathro a run for his money when it comes to football chat.

heidtheba
16-05-2017, 08:32 AM
I think he's finding it very easy to have a pop at Petrie. I think a lot more blame goes Yogi's way.
The players he had at his disposal that first year were doing really well until the Rangers game around Christmas then the wheels fell off...big time. Those players weren't crap, they were good enough to get a good league position and play some good football.
And as for that Motherwell game...dear God, how any manager could defend his performance in that game I don't know. Once we were 6-2 up he just needed to get the guys doing a workmanlike performance - we've seen those hundred times in the past few years - sit back and soak it up. He didn't do that - totally his fault, although yes, Smith was horrendous.
And Stokes and Riordan on the bench in our European match. Wtf?!
Petrie, I think, backed up the team really well. In little over a year we brough in Riordan, Stokes and Millar - all of them big prospects and ones we were truly excited about. We then watched a team with that calibre of player ditch 4 goals against Motherwell in a matter of minutes, no wonder Rod was a bit more circumspect after that. He must have felt totally short changed...and let's face it, it's due to not sp&*&*ng the cash that means we have a great stadium and no cake bakes/embarassing fund raising.
Finally, another thing about that Motherwell game, 6-2 up and they go 6-3 and I think "oh God, can we hold on to a 3 goal lead...I don't think we can". Not only did I think this at the time, a lot of people on here thought it too! That wasn't down to Petrie...
Revisionist thinking at best Yogi.

lapsedhibee
16-05-2017, 10:20 AM
One thing about Hughes is that he never accepts responsibility when things go against him. It's always someone else's fault.

At Hibs is was Petrie and at Raith it was the players' to blame. He took over when they were 8th in the league and managed to do a Butcher's job with them.

His interviews about hard working lads, boiler suits, putting a shift in etc mean nothing. What does a 20yo laddie care about how hard a miner had to work to put food on the table?

He's living in a bygone age that he didn't even belong to. A total slaver that could give Cathro a run for his money when it comes to football chat.

He is a slaver, but hardly think that taking the Raiths from 8th to 9th puts him in the same bracket as the butcher man.

RoslinInstHibby
17-05-2017, 07:46 AM
He is a slaver, but hardly think that taking the Raiths from 8th to 9th puts him in the same bracket as the butcher man.

got a Raith mate who pretty much said the same thing, did a Butcher to them, went in told them the were all rubbish.....still expected them to play for him

Craig_HFC
17-05-2017, 07:51 AM
Said it before and I'll say it again; Yogi is a ****ing buffoon.

Slavers
17-05-2017, 07:59 AM
A big half-wit who in fairness has had a very good career in football as both a player and manager.

J-C
17-05-2017, 08:08 AM
His rant on TV sounded like he'd lost the plot and did absolutely nothing for team morale by simply saying they were all crap and had no fight or professionalism about them, questioning their commitment to the cause, very Butcheresque and got the negative reaction from the players you'd expect.

Look at Redknapp, goes into Birmingham job, bigs up the players by saying they're a decent bunch of guys and just need a bit of structure and belief, surprise surprise he keeps them in the championship.

Keyser Sauzee
17-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Yogi slaughters players publicly, players don't like it, don't want to play for him and lose. I'm not saying yogi is/was a good manager but I have a problem with modern day players mentality, it was obvious for weeks they were well underperforming so when they are criticised for it they spit the dummy out!? Terrible and they should be ashamed, surely they would have some pride about them. The players relegated the club, not yogi.

J-C
17-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Yogi slaughters players publicly, players don't like it, don't want to play for him and lose. I'm not saying yogi is/was a good manager but I have a problem with modern day players mentality, it was obvious for weeks they were well underperforming so when they are criticised for it they spit the dummy out!? Terrible and they should be ashamed, surely they would have some pride about them. The players relegated the club, not yogi.

Was the same thing not said about our players when they went down, then you find out through sources and interviews just exactly what was happening behind the scenes re bullying of young players, others being treating disrespectfully, it doesn't make for a happy workplace. Footballers or not they have to enjoy what they do, if you dread going into work every day because of the management or the stress, then you won't work to your best.

greenginger
17-05-2017, 08:51 AM
https://www.soccerpunter.com/soccer-statistics/Scotland/Championship-2016-2017/team_info_overall/1917_Raith_Rovers_FC

Raith only lost 3 of their first 11 games.

They must have been expecting the play-offs in the fist part of the season.

Diclonius
17-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Yogi wasn't exactly a good manager for us, but I don't get the hate on here for him - we got to Europe in his first season and he's a Hibby. Why isn't there similar hate for, say, Mixu or Fenlon?

WhileTheChief..
17-05-2017, 09:13 AM
No hate from me, I just don't rate him as a manager and his recent rant was ridiculous.

The press loved it though for some reason and he's held up as example of, well, something, not sure what though.

All the 'heart on the sleeve' guff really bugs me. Just listen back to his interview. What does he actually say? It's all cliché's and sound bites that mean nowt.

He's like a Hibs version of Billy Brown.

brianmc
17-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Yogi wasn't exactly a good manager for us, but I don't get the hate on here for him - we got to Europe in his first season and he's a Hibby. Why isn't there similar hate for, say, Mixu or Fenlon?

Check the Pet Peeves thread regarding hate/haters..

As for why there's such criticism here of Yogi and not of Mixu or Fenlon it's most likely because the thread is about Yogi!
The other two have had plenty grief in previous threads over the years.

Slavoj Zizek
23-05-2017, 07:39 PM
So Yogi = Cockwomble. I'm glad we all agree. Thanks for deleting my earlier post.

Liam978
23-05-2017, 07:51 PM
So Yogi = Cockwomble. I'm glad we all agree. Thanks for deleting my earlier post.

Maybe it's more to do with Dennis Neilson, no.

Slavoj Zizek
23-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Maybe it's more to do with Dennis Neilson, no.

Is that who my avatar is [!?!]

Cool story bro

Swing and a miss there Ace.

Anything to contribute about Yogi's horrendous record @ Raith?

Thecat23
23-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Funny if you don't think he's a good manager you seem to fall into the "hate" team.

I don't hate Yogi, I do think he's a poor manager with tactics that's now long done in modern football. Just like Butcher's (who I do hate).

Yogi isn't thick but he loves playing the daft guy fi Leith, and it's tiresome. Be surprised if he manages at any level other than lower league from now on.

Slavoj Zizek
23-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Funny if you don't think he's a good manager you seem to fall into the "hate" team.

I don't hate Yogi, I do think he's a poor manager with tactics that's now long done in modern football. Just like Butcher's (who I do hate).

Yogi isn't thick but he loves playing the daft guy fi Leith, and it's tiresome. Be surprised if he manages at any level other than lower league from now on.

Great post. :aok:

This is where I am at.

I neither "love" nor "hate" Yogi

FWIW: He is a great guy to have a few pints with in the Percy.

But I would not trust him to manage my Leith Athletic U16 team when I'm on holiday.

A good Hibbie and a great guy but it's shame he did not really crack on after winning the cup with ICT.

I wish him all the best.

Moody Blues
23-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Said it before and I'll say it again; Yogi is a ****ing buffoon.

Maybe go and find him and say that to his face....no I thought not

IberianHibernian
23-05-2017, 08:39 PM
He`s got a very impressive record as a manager - took us to Europe in only full season in charge , won cup with ICT , 2 (?) cup finals and some good league positions with Falkirk and I hope Raith`s relegation ( were close to avoiding playoffs ) doesn`t prevent him getting a good job at another club . For some reason he`s always got some abuse from a small % of our support even before results went downhill . Here it seems to often be from fellow Leithers so maybe it`s more a personal thing than football one .

Is It On....
23-05-2017, 08:53 PM
Maybe go and find him and say that to his face....no I thought not

It's funny that some managers gets jobs despite their record (The Butcher, Zola, etc) and others with decent records (such as Yogi, Warnock, etc) always seem to have to justify their previous track records..

Big L
23-05-2017, 09:22 PM
He`s got a very impressive record as a manager - took us to Europe in only full season in charge , won cup with ICT , 2 (?) cup finals and some good league positions with Falkirk and I hope Raith`s relegation ( were close to avoiding playoffs ) doesn`t prevent him getting a good job at another club . For some reason he`s always got some abuse from a small % of our support even before results went downhill . Here it seems to often be from fellow Leithers so maybe it`s more a personal thing than football one .

This!

Liam978
24-05-2017, 06:26 AM
is that who my avatar is [!?!]

cool story bro

swing and a miss there ace.

Anything to contribute about yogi's horrendous record @ raith?

you need serious help,my sister in law's wee brother was murdered by that sicko, and we as a family that includes yogi, find it very offensive.

Pretty Boy
24-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Another thread hijacked by 1 or 2 attention seekers that has now started to offend people.

I think everything has been said that needs to be.

Thread closed.