PDA

View Full Version : Ched Evans

theonlywayisup
24-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Is it time to forget his past and hope he gets on with his life. His original charge of rape having been quashed.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39697804

Colr
24-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Is it time to forget his past and hope he gets on with his life. His original charge of rape having been quashed.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39697804

Bollocks! The man's attitude to women is disgusting!

pacorosssco
24-04-2017, 11:58 PM
Yes hardly got off . Said himself went to hotel for promise drunk girl. Too much pc here he was wrong and said enough court to be put out game.

25-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Bollocks! The man's attitude to women is disgusting!

A sleazey character and a sexist pig by all accounts but thats not a criminal offence. He's been cleared of being a rapist so I think he should be given a chance to play again if a club want him.

HAZ2000
25-04-2017, 05:42 PM
The guy served time and has now has his charges removed. No odea why some are opposed to letting him do his job. I hear a lot about him being a role model ect. But nobody i know would believe its alright to have a bad attitude towards women just because a footballer does...

Centre Hawf
25-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Bollocks! The man's attitude to women is disgusting! It's not illegal to be a sleezeball. Is he a bit of a tosser? Yes. But he deserves to get on with his life.

Pretty Boy
25-04-2017, 06:11 PM
I've said my piece on him and he comes across as a total ****bag.

However as far as the law is concerned he's an innocent man and should be allowed to return to work in his profession.

Stevie Reid
25-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Just had a look and he scored 7 goals in 30 appearances for Chesterfield, I'd presumed he must have been more prolific for them to pay money for him, and take all the negative publicity that will go along with the transfer.

Dashing Bob S
25-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Glad he isn't at Hibs, and while he probably does have the right to resume his career, I hope that we would never sign a player in the same circumstances. It would be an insult to all the women who are associated with the club.

Lex7zero
26-04-2017, 01:24 AM
Glad he isn't at Hibs, and while he probably does have the right to resume his career, I hope that we would never sign a player in the same circumstances. It would be an insult to all the women who are associated with the club.

This forum is all about opinions but I always believed from numerous people close to this case that Ched was innocent. I feel too many are still pointing a guilty finger at a guy that has been proved innocent. Would love to have Ged at Easter Road, just a young guy that caught up in a situation that has now been proved to be false. Best of luck Ged, sorry you will still have a lot of people doubting your innocence.

Hibernia&Alba
26-04-2017, 03:03 AM
I've said my piece on him and he comes across as a total ****bag.

However as far as the law is concerned he's an innocent man and should be allowed to return to work in his profession.

Agreed. Not a person you would associate with or want dating your sister/daughter, but that applies to a lot of men. He's been cleared by the law, so should be able to re-build his life.

Green Diet
26-04-2017, 06:01 AM
He hasn't proved his innocence, just that he wasn't found guilty beyond reasonable doubt. There's a big difference.

Since90+2
26-04-2017, 06:20 AM
He hasn't proved his innocence, just that he wasn't found guilty beyond reasonable doubt. There's a big difference.

Thats not how the law works.

lucky
26-04-2017, 06:30 AM
For those defending him, would you want your wife, girlfriend, daughter or sister to be treated the way he treated that woman? Would you want him at Hibs?

Onceinawhile
26-04-2017, 06:35 AM

You know the law works on an innocent until proven guilty basis right?

Pretty Boy
26-04-2017, 06:35 AM
For those defending him, would you want your wife, girlfriend, daughter or sister to be treated the way he treated that woman? Would you want him at Hibs?

No and no.

He's not guilty of anything legally though and not being a very nice person isn't grounds for refusing someone employment.

Pete
26-04-2017, 06:37 AM
It's up to Sheffield United as an entity if Ched Evans, an innocent but immoral man, plays for them. Nobody else's opinion really matters and if people want to boycott games then they are free to do so.

On the football side of things, you need decent strikers at the business end of the championship. For example, Wednesday have Steven Fletcher, Jordan Rhodes, Gary Hooper, Fernando Forrestieri and Sam Winnal to choose from. It's a clever move by the Blades because if Evans finds himself at home again and returns to his best, they will have a decent option and if he fails then it's only a couple of hundred k.

Hibernia&Alba
26-04-2017, 06:56 AM

A definite no and no to both questions.

ColinNish
26-04-2017, 07:04 AM
No and no.

He's not guilty of anything legally though and not being a very nice person isn't grounds for refusing someone employment.

Correct. Some folk on here wouldn't be happy till he's hung, drawn and quartered.

jacomo
26-04-2017, 07:12 AM
No and no.

Of course it is, especially for a high profile position.

I'm not going to discuss this individual anymore but no one has a right to a professional football contract.

Winston Ingram
26-04-2017, 07:19 AM
Just had a look and he scored 7 goals in 30 appearances for Chesterfield, I'd presumed he must have been more prolific for them to pay money for him, and take all the negative publicity that will go along with the transfer.

...& 4 of them were in August.

HIBEES 4 LIFE
26-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Why would he ever have to prove his innocence?

Its up to a court of law to prove his guilt and they were (at the second attempt) unable to do so. There are a lot of social media lawyers who claim either he is guilty or not, however, for his appeal to be considered, conviction to be quashed and then to be acquitted, several judges and 12 of his peers felt that there was not enough evidence he committed a crime.

Having said that his attitude towards the whole situation was wrong, or certainly ill-advised

HibernianJK
26-04-2017, 12:33 PM
I think a lot of people would be surprised by how many drunk women have had 3 ways with 2 men. Does it look sleazy from the males POV? Yes.

But let's not act like this is an outrageous sexual act, probably happens every weekend all over the county.

Hibernia&Alba
26-04-2017, 12:40 PM
I think a lot of people would be surprised by how many drunk women have had 3 ways with 2 men. Does it look sleazy from the males POV? Yes.

But let's not act like this is an outrageous sexual act, probably happens every weekend all over the county.

????

I obviously live a very sheltered life.

Speedy
26-04-2017, 12:46 PM
You know the law works on an innocent until proven guilty basis right?

That's how the law works, yes. That doesn't necessarily mean that's how reality works.

Eyrie
26-04-2017, 01:40 PM
No and no.

This is football, which operates very differently from normal businesses. Any club can simply decide that they don't approve of Evans as a person, or that they don't want the baggage that now comes with him, so they just don't offer him a contract even if his agent notifies that club of his availability and/or interest in signing for them. Evans would have no grounds for claiming discrimination.

Zero chance I'd be willing to accept him at Hibs, and I'd readily join in the booing that he would get if he played for any club in Scotland including if that was us.

HibernianJK
26-04-2017, 01:48 PM
????

I obviously live a very sheltered life.

Not saying is a regular occurrence for every young female but everyone does silly things when they are young.

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Not saying is a regular occurrence for every young female but everyone does silly things when they are young.

Not necessarily just when you're young - check what John Terry's mum has been up to

Keyser Sauzee
26-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Not necessarily just when you're young - check what John Terry's mum has been up to

😂😂 it's not his mum surely, seen the video tho and there is a resemblance

TonyStokeprano
26-04-2017, 02:23 PM
This is football, which operates very differently from normal businesses. Any club can simply decide that they don't approve of Evans as a person, or that they don't want the baggage that now comes with him, so they just don't offer him a contract even if his agent notifies that club of his availability and/or interest in signing for them. Evans would have no grounds for claiming discrimination.

Zero chance I'd be willing to accept him at Hibs, and I'd readily join in the booing that he would get if he played for any club in Scotland including if that was us.

Did you boo graham stack for being accused of rape ?

Moody Blues
26-04-2017, 02:27 PM
This forum is all about opinions but I always believed from numerous people close to this case that Ched was innocent. I feel too many are still pointing a guilty finger at a guy that has been proved innocent. Would love to have Ged at Easter Road, just a young guy that caught up in a situation that has now been proved to be false. Best of luck Ged, sorry you will still have a lot of people doubting your innocence.

Good post. Let him get on with his life.

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-04-2017, 02:45 PM
😂😂 it's not his mum surely, seen the video tho and there is a resemblance

No idea mate but she was trending on twitter earlier whilst the video was online. Everyone claiming that's who it was...

Andy74
26-04-2017, 02:48 PM
So are we all pretending that as young men we wouldn't have been right up for a three way if chance arose?

HoboHarry
26-04-2017, 02:56 PM
So are we all pretending that as young men we wouldn't have been right up for a three way if chance arose?
Seems like people are reading things into this post that are a polar opposite of what I meant.

Killiehibbie
26-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Makes me laugh when I read the holier than thou posts. I'm the first to admit I sneaked out a few women's rooms in the early hours (long time ago of course) hoping to God I didn't wake them and allowing me a quiet retreat. Does that make me despicable also?You better hope prospective employers don't find out.

Pete
26-04-2017, 03:13 PM
You better hope prospective employers don't find out.

Or twitter/the internet...

Could be popcorn time.

HoboHarry
26-04-2017, 03:16 PM
You better hope prospective employers don't find out.
From what I gather my employer was no different from me or anyone other young guy at that time and would have sh****d the whole in the ozone layer after a night out. That's a far cry from rape of course (which is obviously a despicable crime) but the player has been found not guilty and that's the important issue here.

HoboHarry
26-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Or twitter/the internet...

Could be popcorn time.
Why because young guys don't spend their time chasing women?

Smartie
26-04-2017, 03:26 PM
The whole business is a mess and there can be no winners.

I know the law works on the basis that you are innocent until proven guilty. Evans was innocent. Then he was guilty. Now he's innocent again.

We're talking about a situation where only black or white can exist and this is a murky shade of grey.

I don't know if Evans is a rapist. I don't know if either he or the victim will even know for sure if he is.

He's guilty of (at best) some utterly reprehensible behaviour. Does that mean he should lose his livelihood? I don't know, probably not.

Who is protected if he does lose his livelihood? Is he a danger to other women? If he is treated "softly" does that send a signal out to other potential rapists?

As I say, all a mess and I don't know where I stand to be perfectly honest.

I don't know what Sheffield United can do to be right. Frankly, they're unlucky it landed on their doorstep and it could just as easily have been Hibs'. I think on balance I'd probably want Hibs to have nothing to do with him, to throw him to the wolves. But that wouldn't necessarily be the right thing to do.

Hmmmm.

JDHibs
26-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Done his time for a crime he didnt commit. Always said he was innocent and his life was ruined because of a drunk women with regrets.

He was hounded out of Sheff Utd by sponsors, fans, petitions and celebs, poor lad just wanted to do his job!! Was treated shockingly in the press before his charges were reversed. Yet the women gets away scott free.

Fully deserves to move on with his career and not be continually reminded of something that he was found not guilty for.

Good luck to him and i truly hope he does well back at Sheff Utd as a slap in the face to all the people who doubted him.

HoboHarry
26-04-2017, 03:32 PM

I know the law works on the basis that you are innocent until proven guilty. Evans was innocent. Then he was guilty. Now he's innocent again.

We're talking about a situation where only black or white can exist and this is a murky shade of grey.

I don't know if Evans is a rapist. I don't know if either he or the victim will even know for sure if he is.

He's guilty of (at best) some utterly reprehensible behaviour. Does that mean he should lose his livelihood? I don't know, probably not.

Who is protected if he does lose his livelihood? Is he a danger to other women? If he is treated "softly" does that send a signal out to other potential rapists?

I don't know what Sheffield United can do to be right. Frankly, they're unlucky it landed on their doorstep and it could just as easily have been Hibs'. I think on balance I'd probably want Hibs to have nothing to do with him, to throw him to the wolves. But that wouldn't necessarily be the right thing to do.

Hmmmm.

You said it better than I tried and failed to do Smartie. We have all done stuff we regret albeit most of us stay within the law which it appears now that Evans did. Acting like an a**e isn't a reason to be deemed unemployable - if it did then a good number of footballers, politicians etc would be out of a job.....

Nakedmanoncrack
26-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Worder how many of those moralising about an innocent man would welcome a certain convicted to racist back to Easter Road?

JDHibs
26-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Worder how many of those moralising about an innocent man would welcome a certain convicted to racist back to Easter Road?

Genuinely cant think who you mean?

But is he a convicted rapist? OR a convicted rapist whos conviction has been over turned and found innocent?

Thats the important bit.

Pete
26-04-2017, 03:52 PM
[LIST=1]

Why because young guys don't spend their time chasing women?

No, I just think this thread is going to get interesting. :greengrin

HoboHarry
26-04-2017, 03:55 PM
No, I just think this thread is going to get interesting. :greengrin
Ach probably not. One of these threads where people have their minds made up and it will just fritter out.....

Killiehibbie
26-04-2017, 03:56 PM
From what I gather my employer was no different from me or anyone other young guy at that time and would have sh****d the whole in the ozone layer after a night out. That's a far cry from rape of course (which is obviously a despicable crime) but the player has been found not guilty and that's the important issue here.You, me, him and most guys I knew were much the same.

neil7908
26-04-2017, 04:14 PM
Thats not how the law works.

This isn't a court of law though. He maybe legally innocent but that doesn't mean he's actually innocent.

The law correctly has a 'beyond reasonable doubt' threshold which is necessary when judging on potentially life or death matters.

But the law is often wrong. OJ Simpson is legally innocent of killing his wife but do you think he's actually innocent? Donald Trump hasn't been convicted of any crimes but if he wanted to take over Hibs tomorrow I know how I'd feel!

Getting a bit off topic here but my main point is that we aren't in a court room and I couldn't care less what his legal decision was. I've heard enough of him to know I'd not want him anywhere near my club.

Nakedmanoncrack
26-04-2017, 05:06 PM
This isn't a court of law though. He maybe legally innocent but that doesn't mean he's actually innocent.

Yes, let's do away with all this justice nonsense & let you decide if someone is guilty!

Unbelievable.

Speedy
26-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Yes, let's do away with all this justice nonsense & let you decide if someone is guilty!

Unbelievable.

He's spot on though.

Legally it needs to be beyond reasonable doubt. In reality people will make a judgement on opinion and/or the balance of probability in their head.

Andy74
26-04-2017, 06:13 PM
He's spot on though.

Legally it needs to be beyond reasonable doubt. In reality people will make a judgement on opinion and/or the balance of probability in their head.

Yes but it means nothing other than in your own head. If you're fine enough with everything you've done in your life, caught or not, then crack on.

Pete
26-04-2017, 06:19 PM
He's spot on though.

It's ironic that those who made a judgement of his guilt based on the balance of probability a few years ago were shouted down by those who pointed to the fact that he was guilty in the eyes of the law.

:hmmm:

snooky
26-04-2017, 06:40 PM

You were lucky. When I were a lad, we could only dream of a two-way. For the ugly blokes, it was a one-way.

Dalianwanda
26-04-2017, 06:56 PM
You were lucky. When I were a lad, we could only dream of a two-way. For the ugly blokes, it was a one-way.

If i was good sometimes got a Milky Way...

Speedy
26-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Yes but it means nothing other than in your own head. If you're fine enough with everything you've done in your life, caught or not, then crack on.

Not really sure what you mean.

Speedy
26-04-2017, 07:13 PM
It's ironic that those who made a judgement of his guilt based on the balance of probability a few years ago were shouted down by those who pointed to the fact that he was guilty in the eyes of the law.

:hmmm:

I was always of the view that he could well have done what he was accused of but there was a fair degree of reasonable doubt.

I was surprised he was ever convicted.

Kavinho
26-04-2017, 07:20 PM

Hmmmm.

Wolves?

I know we grudged paying them 150k but that's no reason to foist Evans on them!
Hardly their fault..!

ColinNish
26-04-2017, 07:43 PM
I was always a bit dubious of his original conviction, purely because his mate got found not guilty. Which was basically saying she was sober enough to consent to the mate but not sober enough to consent to Ched Evans later on in the night and not having consumed any more drinks. How does that work?

Nakedmanoncrack
26-04-2017, 09:06 PM
He's spot on though.

It's called prejudice, those who have heard the evidence are the ones best able to reach judgement- not those who've heard snippets in tabloid media, or simply made their minds up because they do, or don't like someone.

Speedy
27-04-2017, 06:56 AM
It's called prejudice, those who have heard the evidence are the ones best able to reach judgement- not those who've heard snippets in tabloid media, or simply made their minds up because they do, or don't like someone.

I know what you're saying but you seem to be missing the point. It's impossible for juries to get everything right.

As an example, say you are punched in the street with no cameras or witnesses. It becomes your word against your attacker's. Quite feasible that your attacked is not found guilty but that doesn't make him innocent.

Killiehibbie
27-04-2017, 11:07 AM
I know what you're saying but you seem to be missing the point. It's impossible for juries to get everything right.

As an example, say you are punched in the street with no cameras or witnesses. It becomes your word against your attacker's. Quite feasible that your attacked is not found guilty but that doesn't make him innocent.
More likely the police tell you they can't charge him.