PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen are rank.

Jim44
23-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Just watched today's highlights. I thought Aberdeen were fortunate in all respects and I think Celtic will humiliate them.

Michael
23-04-2017, 05:56 PM
That's just what they do. It's not pretty, but they find a way to win. Probably contributes to their poor attendances though.

emerald green
23-04-2017, 05:58 PM
I've not seen much of Aberdeen since Hibs have been in the Championship, but from what I saw of them yesterday they were no great shakes.

Fairly ordinary I thought, and I suspect Neil Lennon knew or thought that too, and that was one of the reasons he was so angry Hibs lost. We chucked away a great chance of getting to another final.

makaveli1875
23-04-2017, 06:03 PM
aberdeen are a decent side , they have some quality players . especially hayes, mcginn and shinnie . They will get pumped in the final though

SRHibs
23-04-2017, 06:04 PM
I think they're good, however they fold under pressure. Jonny Hayes and Adam Rooney are as good as you'll find in Scottish football outside of Celtic. I do think we can assemble a squad that can compete for 2nd next year though, depending on how much money the Huns throw at fixing their problems.

Big_Franck
23-04-2017, 06:04 PM
Agree with the thread title, I wasn't impressed by them at all yesterday. We gifted them a two goal head start and quite easily could have won that game. Their centre halves in particular didn't look great and Rooney offered them nothing for most of the game. I see no reason why we can't finish above that side next season, if we can improve our consistency.

superfurryhibby
23-04-2017, 06:07 PM
aberdeen are a decent side , they have some quality players . especially hayes, mcginn and shinnie . They will get pumped in the final though

This.

They have some very good players and whilst they are capable of blips like losing to the filthy Hun, they can also trounce teams, as per Dundee. Not convinced that we will often see anything better in Scottish football, outside of the weedge. Guys like McGinn, Shinnie, Hayes, Rooney McLean, and Reynolds are all very good Spl players.

NAE NOOKIE
23-04-2017, 06:25 PM
They threw everything into closing Hibs down in the first half and IMO it showed in the 2nd half when they just couldn't muster the same intensity ..... if you take out the two gifts they were handed by us they barely made a chance worthy of the name through their own play. Even their winner was down to a huge slice of luck rather than clever play.

If you ask me the Sheep fans are right to be fearful of what Celtic could do to them in the final, it could be that their luck in this game is going to end up being a bit of a case of 'the Monkeys paw' ....... They were fortunate to get past us after being gifted a 2 goal lead, they are going to have to play 100 times better to beat Celtic who I'm pretty positive wont be so generous.

Don't get me wrong, its bad for the game to see any team win all 3 major trophies at a canter, especially one who goes the whole season unbeaten ... from that point of view and the fact that Aberdeen winning the final would make it 6 different winners of the cup in 6 years I want them to win it ............... I just cant see that happening.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 06:27 PM
Aberdeen have won 17 of their last 20 games. They're not rank and we'll do very well to come anywhere near challenging them next season.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-04-2017, 06:30 PM
Any idea how long we need to wait for the we will skoosh third thread? Saw a hint earlier from a poster who guesses that we will push Celtc but nothing more.

houstonhibbee
23-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Aberdeen have won 17 of their last 20 games. They're not rank and we'll do very well to come anywhere near challenging them next season.
we're capable of good performances now and again but are nowhere near Aberdeen's consistency. That will be our challenge next season.

Tobias Funke
They are a decent side, not amazing or brilliant but nowhere near rank. Not even close.

emerald green

It's OTT to describe them as "rank", but they're not very good. They may have won 17/20 but we need to remember the standard and quality of their opposition most weeks.

makaveli1875
theyve made both cup finals this season and are 2nd by a clear margin . i think they will lose a few of their star men and possibly mcinnes in the summer though and will find them hard to replace

tamig
23-04-2017, 06:35 PM

I've just been reading the Lennon thread where you've been pretty negative in your views on our manager. What makes you think we shouldn't be able to compete with Aberdeen - particularly based on yesterday's evidence? If that's the (second) best the top league can offer, it holds absolutely no fears for me. I also suspect there will be a decent budget to enhance this squad with quality for the battle ahead next season. I embrace the challenge.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 06:37 PM
we're capable of good performances now and again but are nowhere near Aberdeen's consistency. That will be our challenge next season.

Agreed. On our day we can give anyone a game, but if we go up next season and can even produce a run like that for half the length of time that they have, say 8 wins in 10, I'd be very surprised. This Aberdeen side are one of the best non OF sides in years, I'd say since the Hibs and Hearts teams of the Mowbray era.

jacomo
23-04-2017, 06:38 PM
theyve made both cup finals this season and are 2nd by a clear margin . i think they will lose a few of their star men and possibly mcinnes in the summer though and will find them hard to replace

All true, but we rattled them.

I think we can go into next season with confidence.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 06:42 PM
I've just been reading the Lennon thread where you've been pretty negative in your views on our manager. What makes you think we shouldn't be able to compete with Aberdeen - particularly based on yesterday's evidence? If that's the (second) best the top league can offer, it holds absolutely no fears for me. I also suspect there will be a decent budget to enhance this squad with quality for the battle ahead next season. I embrace the challenge.

Because they've won 17 out of their last 20 games while we've won marginally over 50% of our games in the league below them. In an individual game they don't hold any fear for me either. But short of some incredible signings in the summer we're not going to have anywhere near that level of consistency in the SPL. Infact, they currently have more points in the SPL than we have in the Championship.

I would love to have the positivity that everyone else has for next season (and I do believe we'll easily be top 6 next season) but this season has shown me nothing to suggest that we're going to challenge a team in the league above us over the course of a whole season who have picked up more points than we have in the second tier. I'm not really sure what other people have seen to suggest that we will to be honest. :confused:

If they lose a few of their main men then yes, we may be able to compete with them. The squad that they currently have with DM as manager? No chance, and to be honest I'd be surprised if Rangers even manage to finish above them.

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2017, 06:44 PM
They are a decent side, not amazing or brilliant but nowhere near rank. Not even close.

Exactly, i'd bite your hand off for a Hibs team as good and consistent as them.

Pete
23-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Very well organised with decent full backs. They're pretty good but we can hopefully compete with them next year with a few additional signings.

Stewboy
23-04-2017, 07:02 PM
2nd in the Premier & 2 cup finals this season. I wouldn't mind if we were that rank

Stevie Reid
23-04-2017, 07:04 PM
They were poor and bottled it yesterday, but Aberdeen are a very good side.

Spike Mandela
23-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Failed to win their league, runners up in League cup final, unfancied for final, tagged as 'losers'................sound familiar?:cb

GreenNWhiteArmy
23-04-2017, 07:24 PM
They threw everything into closing Hibs down in the first half and IMO it showed in the 2nd half when they just couldn't muster the same intensity ..... if you take out the two gifts they were handed by us they barely made a chance worthy of the name through their own play. Even their winner was down to a huge slice of luck rather than clever play.

If you ask me the Sheep fans are right to be fearful of what Celtic could do to them in the final, it could be that their luck in this game is going to end up being a bit of a case of 'the Monkeys paw' ....... They were fortunate to get past us after being gifted a 2 goal lead, they are going to have to play 100 times better to beat Celtic who I'm pretty positive wont be so generous.

Don't get me wrong, its bad for the game to see any team win all 3 major trophies at a canter, especially one who goes the whole season unbeaten ... from that point of view and the fact that Aberdeen winning the final would make it 6 different winners of the cup in 6 years I want them to win it ............... I just cant see that happening.

Yep, agree with everything you say

Orchard_Hibs
23-04-2017, 07:25 PM
2nd in the Premier & 2 cup finals this season. I wouldn't mind if we were that rank

I don't often post due to having differing opinions from the majority of posters, but we not only managed two cup finals last year but we all know what happened on 21/5/16. Aberdeen are not half as good as some would like to think. We are not going to push Celtic next year or even come close but Aberdeen along with the rest of the league are nothing to be scared of.

SRHibs
23-04-2017, 07:56 PM
I don't often post due to having differing opinions from the majority of posters, but we not only managed two cup finals last year but we all know what happened on 21/5/17. Aberdeen are not half as good as some would like to think. We are not going to push Celtic next year or even come close but Aberdeen along with the rest of the league are nothing to be scared of.

I bet you what happened then wasn't as good as what happened on 21/05/16.:wink:

Orchard_Hibs
23-04-2017, 08:03 PM
I bet you what happened then wasn't as good as what happened on 21/05/16.:wink:

Thanks had a bit to drink, hence why I felt I could post

Zazu62
23-04-2017, 08:09 PM
I hope they beat Celtic in the final

inglisavhibs
23-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Correct!

WhileTheChief..
23-04-2017, 08:15 PM
I wonder if we have ever had a record as good as 17 wins out of 20 games??

Rank? You're having a laugh, it's exceptional form in any normal persons book.

Sour grapes.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 08:23 PM
I wonder if we have ever had a record as good as 17 wins out of 20 games??

Rank? You're having a laugh, it's exceptional form in any normal persons book.

Sour grapes.

This. Mowbray and McLeish's teams wouldn't have came near getting that kind of run going I don't think. Anyone who thinks that without some outstanding summer signings and a change in our style of play or Aberdeen losing a good few players or their manager that we'll come anywhere near Aberdeen next season are kidding themselves on IMO.

Mixu62
23-04-2017, 08:33 PM
First half hour they closed down every Hibs player on the ball with 3 or 4 of their players. We just didn't get a sniff. Seems like the way they play is to keep so much pressure on opposition teams that they force errors and that's what happened to us. As soon as we got one back you could see their confidence start to crumble. As someone else said on another thread, they're likely to lose 2 or 3 of that team in the summer so probably won't be as strong again, while we will strengthen.

SirDavidsNapper
23-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Very little between the teams but I expected us to win yesterday and if we played them next week id still expect us to win. Nothing I saw yesterday changed my opinion.

SRHibs
23-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Thanks had a bit to drink, hence why I felt I could post Nowt wrong with having differing opinions though. If everyone thought the same then this place would be boring as hell. That said, it is irritating when you're treated as if you're mentally challenged when you hold a different opinion to the pack.

ekhibee
23-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Because they've won 17 out of their last 20 games while we've won marginally over 50% of our games in the league below them. In an individual game they don't hold any fear for me either. But short of some incredible signings in the summer we're not going to have anywhere near that level of consistency in the SPL. Infact, they currently have more points in the SPL than we have in the Championship.

I would love to have the positivity that everyone else has for next season (and I do believe we'll easily be top 6 next season) but this season has shown me nothing to suggest that we're going to challenge a team in the league above us over the course of a whole season who have picked up more points than we have in the second tier. I'm not really sure what other people have seen to suggest that we will to be honest. :confused:

If they lose a few of their main men then yes, we may be able to compete with them. The squad that they currently have with DM as manager? No chance, and to be honest I'd be surprised if Rangers even manage to finish above them.
When we beat them easily in the league cup last season they had just beaten Celtic 3-1 and were top of the premiership. We should have beaten them yesterday as well. I was considerably more worried about playing them last season than I was yesterday. They've got 3 or 4 players that stand out (one of them'll be away at the end of the season), and the rest are nothing special. If they are indeed the 2nd best team in the country then they've certainly not shown it against Hibs. Their nearest challengers, Sevco, St Johnstone and Hearts? In the last year we've beaten them all too. But no, maybe we should forget all that. We will strengthen the team in the summer, but this current team has already more than held their own against the likes of the top 6 premiership sides apart from Celtic. I actually hope they don't make any changes to their current team, because if/when we strengthen up in the summer I'd expect to beat them comfortably, and on a regular basis as well. I'm really looking forward to my team playing in the premiership next season.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 09:01 PM
When we beat them easily in the league cup last season they had just beaten Celtic 3-1 and were top of the premiership. We should have beaten them yesterday as well. I was considerably more worried about playing them last season than I was yesterday. They've got 3 or 4 players that stand out (one of them'll be away at the end of the season), and the rest are nothing special. If they are indeed the 2nd best team in the country then they've certainly not shown it against Hibs. Their nearest challengers, Sevco, St Johnstone and Hearts? In the last year we've beaten them all too. But no, maybe we should forget all that. We will strengthen the team in the summer, but this current team has already more than held their own against the likes of the top 6 premiership sides apart from Celtic. I actually hope they don't make any changes to their current team, because if/when we strengthen up in the summer I'd expect to beat them comfortably, and on a regular basis as well. I'm really looking forward to my team playing in the premiership next season.

I think we'll do OK next season and I'd like to think we'll be top four, but I certainly don't have your level of confidence for us being able to come close to catching Aberdeen. They're unlucky this season that Celtic have been unstoppable as finishing as the second best team in the country and finishing second in both cups is quite the achievement (while obviously being bitterly disappointing for them). Like you said, we have beat all these teams over the last couple of seasons, and like yourself I don't fear any of them in one off games, but I don't get where people think we're going to find the consistency to catch a team who will pick up well over 70 points this season while we can't consistently win in the league we're in, unless we're going to go out and sign some seriously good players with a bit of experience. Aberdeen could actually finish with around 80 points this season on current form, which is only 6 less than Celtic won the league with last year. That, to me anyway, puts into perspective what a good side they are this season.

IF they lose a few players then yes, we might get close to them next year, but if they manages to keep any losses down to say one player and make a couple decent signings I just can't see us getting near them over the course of a full season. Maybe in time, say three or four seasons, yes, but not in our first season back in the top tier.

NAE NOOKIE
23-04-2017, 09:22 PM

Me too mate ..... but I'm beginning to get a slight feeling that we are in danger of underestimating the task in hand based on a skewed perception of the top league based on our performances against premiership teams over a 3 year period. Yes we have shown that we are capable of taking on anybody in the top league in one off games, but like it or not the cup is different from league games. Hibs have approached these games with an intensity that simply cant be maintained over 30 odd matches.

We are in danger of allowing folks opinion that the top league is barely different in quality from the championship to become fact rather than opinion ...... I agree that the top 4 in the championship could hold their own in the bottom 6 of the premiership, but how often could Morton, Falkirk or Dundee Utd hope to beat Aberdeen, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic or St Johnstone which we will have to do fairly regularly to make the top 4 ..... Yes we would hope to do better than these 3 championship clubs, but I would be wary of thinking we are at a stage as a team where we are so superior to most of the premiership's top 5 clubs outwith Celtic that its going to be a failure not to beat them on a regular basis.

I'm not saying we cant approach next season with a great deal of hope that things can go well for us, what I am saying is that in order to do that we need to strengthen the team in a number of areas, because at the moment. as was shown this season, we are always just a few injuries and suspensions away from a crisis ....... we struggled at times to cope with injuries in the championship, we cant afford the same situation to arise in the premiership and hope to get away with it.

1van Sprou7e
23-04-2017, 09:25 PM
I'm confident we can challenge for Europe next season but as the poster above me is saying we are probably overestimating ourselves a wee bit.

We're great in the big games but consistency is our problem, our league results have been generally disappointing for over a year now

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Me too mate ..... but I'm beginning to get a slight feeling that we are in danger of underestimating the task in hand based on a skewed perception of the top league based on our performances against premiership teams over a 3 year period. Yes we have shown that we are capable of taking on anybody in the top league in one off games, but like it or not the cup is different from league games. Hibs have approached these games with an intensity that simply cant be maintained over 30 odd matches.

We are in danger of allowing folks opinion that the top league is barely different in quality from the championship to become fact rather than opinion ...... I agree that the top 4 in the championship could hold their own in the bottom 6 of the premiership, but how often could Morton, Falkirk or Dundee Utd hope to beat Aberdeen, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic or St Johnstone which we will have to do fairly regularly to make the top 4 ..... Yes we would hope to do better than these 3 championship clubs, but I would be wary of thinking we are at a stage as a team where we are so superior to most of the premiership's top 5 clubs outwith Celtic that its going to be a failure not to beat them on a regular basis.

I'm not saying we cant approach next season with a great deal of hope that things can go well for us, what I am saying is that in order to do that we need to strengthen the team in a number of areas, because at the moment. as was shown this season, we are always just a few injuries and suspensions away from a crisis ....... we struggled at times to cope with injuries in the championship, we cant afford the same situation to arise in the premiership and hope to get away with it.

This is where I am with regards to next season. We've not been able to consistently beat teams in this league this season. I don't get what people have seen that has made them think that we'll comfortably beat nearly every SPL team next season and challenge Aberdeen and Rangers for second. I think people are over estimating the squad we have, over estimating the manager being a "winner" and underestimating the SPL.

Stevie Reid
23-04-2017, 09:56 PM

Agree with a great deal of this. Even if we have a blinder of a season next year, I would still expect Aberdeen to finish above us.

We all laughted at the Jambos for flying a plane over Tynie wanting the manager (who had just romped the Championship and pretty much sealed 3rd and European football by March) out.

People need to keep expectations in check. Yes we should aim high, and I'm certainly expecting top 6 - I think we're capable of higher but Celtic, Aberdeen and St. Johnstone are so consistent, and you'd expect Rangers to be around there too, obviously.

superfurryhibby
23-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Some classic nonsense on this thread. The sheep are a very good side. That is why they have won 17out of 20 games. Aye, they can still cock it up every now and then and that is why they are not a great side.

Even the best Hibs side of my lifetime, the Tornadoes managed to lose to the likes of Arbroath and Montrose in cup games and they also slipped up in the league against other ***** like that. For those not familiar with our history, that great side lost cup finals 1-6 and 3-6. That can happen when you play a excellent side, as Celtic were in the early-mid 70's.

So get real folks, the Sheep didnae bottle it, nor are they rank.

Unseen work
23-04-2017, 10:38 PM
Fans that think 2nd is up for grabs are imo deluded.

We have drawn 13/33 of our games this season in the championship.

Aberdeen are a very good side who can get wins without playing particularly great and they score a fair amount of goals.

We play well in one off big games but to do that consistently throughout a whole season is a completely different thing.

Top 6 would be a good first season back in the Premiership, obviously depending on who we bring in.

Teams like
Celtic
Aberdeen
Rangers
St Johnstone
Hearts

Are still good teams that can grind out results and have players that can make a difference, it certainly won't be as easy as some seem to think

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2017, 05:53 AM

This 100%, :agree: you only need to go back as far as the hearts game to see that. Lennon said in the game after, was it Dunfermline, where he understood the performance after such an effort against hearts.

We could have 16 games where we need to put similar effort in against hearts, dons and bigot brothers, not to mention the effort we'd have to put in against the other clubs who should be giving us harder games than we had in the championship.

Its for these reasons i believe we need a better class of player in a few positions, with a different mindset, and players who are not played out of position.

Forza Fred
24-04-2017, 05:57 AM
If Aberdeen are RANK, based on watching them against us, and they won,what does that make us?

green day
24-04-2017, 06:03 AM
If Aberdeen are RANK, based on watching them against us, and they won,what does that make us?

Correct.

The sheep are the second best team in Scotland, they have pace where it matters, good strikers and a bit of steel in midfield. All in all a pretty decent team.

If we had that team, it wouldn't surprise me to get to both cup finals and be sitting 2nd to an excellent Celtic team.

Rank they are not.

matty_f
24-04-2017, 06:46 AM
Aberdeen reminded me of a typical Levein Hearts side, they are big, quick, and physical. The big difference is that they are better footballers than Levein usually played.

I thought Aberdeen looked strong, and they have quality where it counts. I don't think there is a lot between us and then, and with good recruitment we should be able to compete with them over the season.

Rather than dismissing Aberdeen, I think it's fair to say it took a good side to end our cup run.

Jones28
24-04-2017, 06:57 AM
The football may not have been great but they found a way to win.

Keith_M
24-04-2017, 07:03 AM
Aberdeen are rank?

They won the game, so what would that make us?

There's an awful lot of sour grapes on here.

Highland_Hibee
24-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Not rank but I think what you mean is not out of sight like Celtic. I would certainly appreciate a lot of their players at Hibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenOnions
24-04-2017, 11:03 AM
I agree that yesterday's game and all our other fixtures against premier league teams in the last couple of years would indicate that we are capable of mounting a challenge at the top end of the table.

However - as one or two posters have pointed out - Aberdeen have been incredibly consistent this year and have won 17 out of their last 20 games. They have won two-thirds of their league games so far as well.

Hibs have shown we have the players to compete with and generally defeat teams at the top end of the Premiership in one-off games but it's Aberdeen's consistency that is most impressive and will be the hardest thing to match next year.

I think consistency is as much about the mental side of the game as ability and McInnes has clearly put together a side that can deliver in that way.

This is where I hope Neil Lennon can make an impact - identifying and signing players that can deliver 20+ league victories over the season.

JimBHibees
24-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Aberdeen reminded me of a typical Levein Hearts side, they are big, quick, and physical. The big difference is that they are better footballers than Levein usually played.

I thought Aberdeen looked strong, and they have quality where it counts. I don't think there is a lot between us and then, and with good recruitment we should be able to compete with them over the season.

Rather than dismissing Aberdeen, I think it's fair to say it took a good side to end our cup run.

Agree they are a decent team with a good balance of physicality and quality. They have a good structure and each player knows his role in it and to be honest us giving them a 2 goal lead was criminal though we recovered well and were unlucky in the end.

OsloHibs
24-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Some classic nonsense on this thread. The sheep are a very good side. That is why they have won 17out of 20 games. Aye, they can still cock it up every now and then and that is why they are not a great side.

Even the best Hibs side of my lifetime, the Tornadoes managed to lose to the likes of Arbroath and Montrose in cup games and they also slipped up in the league against other ***** like that. For those not familiar with our history, that great side lost cup finals 1-6 and 3-6. That can happen when you play a excellent side, as Celtic were in the early-mid 70's.

So get real folks, the Sheep didnae bottle it, nor are they rank.

Well said.

Ken
24-04-2017, 12:06 PM
We're a good bit away from comparing ourselves to Aberdeen who have been consistently good for the last few seasons and the difference is noted by the fact they have more points than us even though we're a league below.

We should obviously aim high, but let's do our talking on the pitch next season as opposed to talking ourselves up based on what we are capable of doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marinello59
24-04-2017, 12:34 PM
That's just what they do. It's not pretty, but they find a way to win. Probably contributes to their poor attendances though.

I think their pace up front does make them decent to watch, some of the hammerings they have handed out this season suggests they ain't boring. The gap between us and them in terms of overall quality on Saturday was noticeable. We were very poor for 30 minutes but the best team out there did win. They're a more than decent side with one of the best managers in the league, we will need to replace several players over the close season if we hope to match them in head to heads next season.

DunblaneHibby
24-04-2017, 02:23 PM
I think their pace up front does make them decent to watch, some of the hammerings they have handed out this season suggests they ain't boring. The gap between us and them in terms of overall quality on Saturday was noticeable. We were very poor for 30 minutes but the best team out there did win. They're a more than decent side with one of the best managers in the league, we will need to replace several players over the close season if we hope to match them in head to heads next season.

I agree with this.

Leith Green
24-04-2017, 02:58 PM

Have to say , agree completely with the above. Lot of Hibs fans seem to think we were as good as Aberdeen , but thats not what i saw. I thought we fought gamely once Lennon made the Holt substitution. Though it was pretty clear to me that Aberdeen were a better footballing side