PDA

View Full Version : Celtic penalty

dalkeith stu
23-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Martin Boyle, I hope you were watching!! And I know he was outside the box.

SRHibs
23-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Personally, I'm happy for Martin Boyle to retain his integrity.

dalkeith stu
23-04-2017, 12:23 PM
I'm with you too but you get nothing for being honest in this game when everyone's at it. Don't want him to dive but if someone puts a leg out take it.

keep the faith
23-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Personally, I'm happy for Martin Boyle to retain his integrity.

Correct hibs class is important. Let's not turn into Celtic.

Biggie
23-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Surely not saying that wasn't a stonewaller..he got cleaned out

18Hibee75
23-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Sparky was taken out there, don't think he could've carried on running. Still think Boyle shouldve went down yesterday however.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

southsider
23-04-2017, 12:27 PM

And a sending off.Last man.

Biggie
23-04-2017, 12:33 PM

Don't think that's the way it works these days....pretty sure a pen is enough punishment

Boyle89
23-04-2017, 12:34 PM
Boyle had to hurdle the challenge. If he had just jumped and gone to ground we might have gotten the foul but Boyle must've been confident he could go through on goal. Even if Boyle went down Beaton was never going to give us the foul.

YehButNoBut
23-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Tackle was just outside the box so would have been a free kick. Boyle would have got to the ball if it had not bounced of his leg after the tackle.

Onceinawhile
23-04-2017, 12:52 PM

If the player makes an honest attempt for the ball and the ref gives a penalty it's only a yellow.

See Darren McGregor v hearts at Easter road.

dalkeith stu
23-04-2017, 12:55 PM

As would Boyle if he hadn't hurdled the challenge.

Pretty Boy
23-04-2017, 12:55 PM
I don't like diving but I have zero issue with a player going down after contact to gice the referee food for thought.

Referees only have themselves to blame if they don't like that as over the years they have consistently failed to give clear penalties when players do stay on their feet.

Danderhall Hibs
23-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Said at the time and sticking to it - Boyle should've fell over. You only get a free kick/penalty if you fall down so we need to play to the rules set.

Pretty Boy
23-04-2017, 12:57 PM
Said at the time and sticking to it - Boyle should've fell over. You only get a free kick/penalty if you fall down so we need to play to the rules set.

Spot on.

dalkeith stu
23-04-2017, 01:00 PM
I don't like diving but I have zero issue with a player going down after contact to gice the referee food for thought.

Referees only have themselves to blame if they don't like that as over the years they have consistently failed to give clear penalties when players do stay on their feet.
100%

DaveF
23-04-2017, 03:51 PM

Correct. Boyle should have hit the deck without a doubt.

danhibees1875
23-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Maybe i need to watch it again...Is this the incident at the end? I thought the Aberdeen boy puts in a good tackle, wins the ball and knocks it off Boyle's leg as he runs forward. Not sure how we'd have got a penalty from that?

PeterboroHibee
23-04-2017, 04:10 PM

Absolutely agree, I cant think of many (if any) examples where a referee has given a penalty to a player who has stayed on their feet when fouled.

Dibben
23-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Don't think that's the way it works these days....pretty sure a pen is enough punishment

Yeah. That's the reason McGregor wasn't sent off against Hearts in th replay IIRC.

I presume if it was outside the box - a free kick - then a red card would come out!!

Onceinawhile
23-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Maybe i need to watch it again...Is this the incident at the end? I thought the Aberdeen boy puts in a good tackle, wins the ball and knocks it off Boyle's leg as he runs forward. Not sure how we'd have got a penalty from that?

Certainly how I saw it.

givescotlandfreedom
23-04-2017, 04:18 PM
It's quite farcical that players often have to go down to get a penalty. All it does is encourages diving. If he's gone down I think he'd be giving Beaton a decision to make but he was honest so got nowt and Beaton kops out and takes the easy option.

DaveF
23-04-2017, 04:20 PM

It was never going to be a penalty as it was outside the box so don't think anyone is claiming otherwise. Discussion is merely about whether he should have given the ref a decision to make.

lord bunberry
23-04-2017, 04:57 PM
I've not seen it again, but my first thought after he didn't score was that he should've went down. He had to jump over the guys legs, if he hadn't jumped he would've been brought down.

CMurdoch
23-04-2017, 04:57 PM
With the Griffiths one today he was able to touch the ball forward just before the Rangers player came flying in and cleaned him out. Boyle wasn't able to do get to the ball before the defender hence no chance of a penalty and he would have looked an erse had he gone down as the Aberdeen player took the ball.

Ryan69
23-04-2017, 05:06 PM

Like Chelsea yesterday.

Danderhall Hibs
23-04-2017, 05:13 PM
With the Griffiths one today he was able to touch the ball forward just before the Rangers player came flying in and cleaned him out. Boyle wasn't able to do get to the ball before the defender hence no chance of a penalty and he would have looked an erse had he gone down as the Aberdeen player took the ball.

At the pace they were going it might've looked inside the box and/or as if the defender had made a mistake. It was John Beaton not Collina.

emerald green
23-04-2017, 05:16 PM
I can't believe some of the stuff on here. Lets just forget about the football, who is the better team etc, and just award the points to the biggest cheats.

Danderhall Hibs
23-04-2017, 05:17 PM
I can't believe some of the stuff on here. Lets just forget about the football, who is the better team etc, and just award the points to the biggest cheats.

The better team is the team that wins?

emerald green
23-04-2017, 05:19 PM
The better team is the team that wins?

Most, but not all the time. But that's not my point is it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Would not surprise me if next time that Shalk boy from Ross County gets halved in the penalty area the ref waves play on.

Waxy
23-04-2017, 05:21 PM
I said right away " should have gone down".
Maybe i'm a naughty person?
But everyone else does it.

emerald green
23-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Would not surprise me if next time that Shalk boy from Ross County gets halved in the penalty area the ref waves play on.

:agree: It would be poetic justice IMO.

Another point I'd make is that he will have earned nothing but the contempt of his fellow pros.

Danderhall Hibs
23-04-2017, 05:25 PM
:agree: It would be poetic justice IMO.

Another point I'd make is that he will have earned nothing but the contempt of his fellow pros.

I doubt that - they'd all do it as well. If County stay up and that point keeps them up he'll not buy a pint all night.

emerald green
23-04-2017, 05:30 PM
I doubt that - they'd all do it as well. If County stay up and that point keeps them up he'll not buy a pint all night.

No, they don't all do it as well.

So he doesn't have to buy a pint all night. Wow. So that makes it all OK then? Not in my book. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but when I played football (not at that level) all the blokes I played with and against almost to a man hated a cheat.

Danderhall Hibs
23-04-2017, 05:32 PM
No, they don't all do it as well.

So he doesn't have to buy a pint all night. Wow. So that makes it all OK then? Not in my book. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but when I played football (not at that level) all the blokes I played with and against almost to a man hated a cheat.

They do. They just use terms like "if I'm touched I'm entitled to go down" while claiming they hate diving.

I loved playing with guys that would do anything to win and we'd laugh about it at training the week after.

Did your team ever talk about "playing the ref"?

hibbysam
23-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Correct hibs class is important. Let's not turn into Celtic.

Not sure how he wouldn't have his integrity had he taken the challenge and been wiped out? Very strange. He jumped over the challenge when had he carried on running he would've been wiped out. Twice this weekend I've seen strikers go to ground and get penalties. Moses and Griffiths, once I seen one stay on his feet and he got nothing.

emerald green
23-04-2017, 05:45 PM
They do. They just use terms like "if I'm touched I'm entitled to go down" while claiming they hate diving.

I loved playing with guys that would do anything to win and we'd laugh about it at training the week after.

Did your team ever talk about "playing the ref"?

No, that's just not true. Are you saying all players are cheats? That's a huge sweeping generalisation. Certain players might have that mindset, but how many I really don't know and I'm not sure how you would know either.

Regarding "playing the ref". We knew which ones we could get away with more than others. Lets put it that way. But diving for penalties was quite rare.

No doubt you'll be applauding the likes of Jamie Walker next season if & when he dives to con the referee to "win" a penalty for Hearts and rob Hibs of points. :rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
23-04-2017, 05:47 PM
No, that's just not true. Are you saying all players are cheats? That's a huge sweeping generalisation. Certain players might have that mindset, but how many I really don't know and I'm not sure how you would know either.

Regarding "playing the ref". We knew which ones we could get away with more than others. Lets put it that way. But diving for penalties was quite rare.

No doubt you'll be applauding the likes of Jamie Walker next season if & when he dives to con the referee to "win" a penalty for Hearts and rob Hibs of points. :rolleyes:

So you admit to bending the rules? That's cheating. :greengrin

I won't applaud him - I'll go mental. If Cummings does it however...

emerald green
23-04-2017, 05:52 PM
So you admit to bending the rules? That's cheating. :green grin

I won't applaud him - I'll go mental. If Cummings does it however...

No, I don't admit "bending the rules". The very thought! You're twisting my words there. :greengrin

Agree to disagree.