PDA

View Full Version : Rangers fans

Leith Green
23-04-2017, 11:43 AM
40 minutes into the game and the only songs they have sung so far have all been related to child sex abuse ... As classy as ever 👍

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-04-2017, 03:42 PM
**** of the earth

cleanyman
23-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Celtic were just as bad

Mantis Toboggan
23-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Celtic were just as bad

How many child abuse based songs did celtic sing?

23-04-2017, 03:45 PM
A club rotten to the very core with the absolute dregs of society supporting it. Vile club, even more vile supporters.

Sex abuse and peadophiles is there favourite insult. If they aren't singing about killing catholics their singing about peadophiles. A lovely bunch indeed.

New club. Still Scotlands shame.

Catch22
23-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Shocked they didn't invade the pitch to protect their players 'cos they were getting a real doing.

magpie1892
23-04-2017, 03:53 PM

None.

Slight tangent, but walking down to the game it really struck me that if you put a hun in a suit, it actually looks MORE like a hun than if it were wearing​ jeans and a t-shirt. Weird.

Mantis Toboggan
23-04-2017, 03:56 PM
None.

Slight tangent, but walking down to the game it really struck me that if you put a hun in a suit, it actually looks MORE like a hun than if it were wearing​ jeans and a t-shirt. Weird.

The classic joke. What do you call a hun in a suit?
The defendant.

cabbageandribs1875
23-04-2017, 04:00 PM
the buns were outclassed on the pitch and OFF, only watched the 2nd half but after constant singing in the sellick end the only retort from the vile bun was the song about defending some wall in northern ireland a few centuries ago, bizarre

Sir David Gray
23-04-2017, 04:05 PM
I'll give Celtic fans their due today they actually sung more football related songs than normal which was a welcome change.

They've still got a long way to go but it was certainly a positive.

Sevco fans sang less of their usual party songs than normal as well for some reason...:greengrin

Jpdhfc
23-04-2017, 04:05 PM

There pre game display says it all

cleanyman
23-04-2017, 04:14 PM

How many pro IRA songs did Rangers sing?

Both clubs disgust me. Its bewildering some favour the tims

givescotlandfreedom
23-04-2017, 04:20 PM
There pre game display says it all

What poison did they come out with this time?

Leith Green
23-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Why do you have to favour either? To be singing song after song about child sex abuse is the lowest of the ****ing low.

Pete
23-04-2017, 04:37 PM
Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc...should all resign from the league and set up our own tournaments without the two uglies.

Yesterday proved that we don't need them and we can have passion and rivalries without the bigotry.

Johnny Clash
23-04-2017, 04:41 PM

Coz the Currant Buns are a million times worse. Simple really!

Golden Bear
23-04-2017, 04:45 PM

I'd hazard a guess at none!

Steve20
23-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Too much love-in towards Celtic on this forum recently. They're a horrible club.

Mantis Toboggan
23-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Too much love-in towards Celtic on this forum recently. They're a horrible club.

Are they though?
I dont see much to support that.
We have a lot in common with them whether you like it or not.

23-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc...should all resign from the league and set up our own tournaments without the two uglies.

Yesterday proved that we don't need them and we can have passion and rivalries without the bigotry.

Oh but but we need Rangers, armagedon if we don't have them, Scotland needs a strong rangers . . . :rolleyes:

23-04-2017, 04:53 PM

**** aye. Celtic are ever so slightly the lesser of two evils in my book but they are still ****my. They love to think of themselves as some big upstanding club `and "the good guys" but their really just patronising. They still have a great deal of bigotry routed in them.

I hate the huns more but at least their fans know their hated, celtic fans seem to believe that everybody should love them.

BH Hibs
23-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Are people surprised by this? They're ****bags and they get away with it all the time.

Are they though?

We share a similar history and both our neighbours are robbing, corrupt, cheating *******s but hibs have come a long way in maturing past the bigotry. I've been going to hibs home and away all my life and i've never been at a game where the hibs fans have been singing sectarian songs.

guthrie01
Are they though?

The only reason we have anything in common is because they steal everything from us and other clubs. Proclaim themselves as the king of Scottish Football and we should be grateful for them. **** them and The Rangers, both horrible clubs with horrible fans.

Sir David Gray
Are they though?

Here you go, hope this jogs your memory.

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/1367815-celtic-fan-charged-with-hanging-blow-up-dolls-at-old-firm-game/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1327712/Celtic-apologise-fans-bloodstained-poppy-protest.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5ZS3QRJ7Q

PS - We're nothing like them at all so you should get that idea out of your head.

Pete
23-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Are they though?

Yuck.

I like to think that we're worlds apart from Celtic now.

Hibernian = inclusion.

Celtic = contradictions.

hibeedonald
23-04-2017, 05:03 PM
We share a similar history and both our neighbours are robbing, corrupt, cheating *******s but hibs have come a long way in maturing past the bigotry. I've been going to hibs home and away all my life and i've never been at a game where the hibs fans have been singing sectarian songs.

I agree but I would also say celtic fans have improved their act a lot over the last 6/7 years (compared to what they were). Still a long way to go though

23-04-2017, 05:29 PM
The only reason we have anything in common is because they steal everything from us and other clubs. Proclaim themselves as the king of Scottish Football and we should be grateful for them. **** them and The Rangers, both horrible clubs with horrible fans.

This

superfurryhibby
23-04-2017, 05:35 PM

You were obviously too young to have gone to games inthe 70's and 80's then?

Fuzzywuzzy
23-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Why do you have to favour either? To be singing song after song about child sex abuse is the lowest of the ****ing low.

Not forgetting the irony of it

Sir David Gray
23-04-2017, 05:45 PM

I think that's what he means by we've come a long way in maturing past the bigotry.

I have been going to watch Hibs games for over 20 years now and, barring a handful of idiots singing the odd one or two songs, I have never heard a sectarian song sung at Easter Road.

The day that Easter Road becomes a smaller version of Parkhead is the day that I stop going to games.

Carheenlea
23-04-2017, 05:47 PM
As long as folk let themselves get offended by songs sung by Rangers, they will continue to do so with even more gusto and take satisfaction in the knowledge that they are getting a reaction.
It doesn't personally bother me that much, it's just background noise to me.

Hibrandenburg
23-04-2017, 05:54 PM

You do realise that the 70's were nearly 50 years ago?

Golden Bear
23-04-2017, 05:57 PM
I think that's what he means by we've come a long way in maturing past the bigotry.

I have been going to watch Hibs games for over 20 years now and, barring a handful of idiots singing the odd one or two songs, I have never heard a sectarian song sung at Easter Road.

The day that Easter Road becomes a smaller version of Parkhead is the day that I stop going to games.

Well said that man.

Dashing Bob S
23-04-2017, 05:58 PM
A club rotten to the very core with the absolute dregs of society supporting it. Vile club, even more vile supporters.

Sex abuse and peadophiles is there favourite insult. If they aren't singing about killing catholics their singing about peadophiles. A lovely bunch indeed.

New club. Still Scotlands shame.

You can understand it with teenagers, but grown men shouting abuse about paedophilles is embarrassing. It's become the go-to insult of the severely cognitively challenged. How fitting that Huns have a whole songbook dedicated to this.

hibs#1
23-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Rangers fans are ****.even the ones that have reasonable jobs etc. They are still ****.

Leith Green
23-04-2017, 06:03 PM
You can understand it with teenagers, but grown men shouting abuse about paedophilles is embarrassing. It's become the go-to insult of the severely cognitively challenged. How fitting that Huns have a whole songbook dedicated to this.

Its just madness especially when you factor in the recent revelations in the football world. If that doesnt make you realise how wrong it is , then nothing ever will

jacomo
23-04-2017, 06:15 PM

I've got a Hun pal. He's actually a smart, well-travelled guy but talk to him about his club and their troubles over the past 5 years and his only comeback is 'aye but they are peedos. Big Jock Knew!'

Apparently we desperately need Rangerz and it's only one in a row because any title won without them in the League doesnae count.

:crazy:

superfurryhibby
23-04-2017, 06:21 PM

Last time I looked the mid 70's were just over 40 years ago and I also mentioned until well into the 80's. That is also why I asked if the gadj that posted was around in those days.

Much as I have to admit enjoying a rebel song and generally decrying the whole dirty orange ******* thing back in those days, I am also glad that these songs are no longer sung.

It is a mark of progress, although I would also say that I and many others I knew had no interest or supoort for the IRA, buy we still belted out the songs, especially against the Hun. We were young, daft and very tribal. To be fair society has moved on a bit and just as commissioning Love thy Neighbour for the telly is no longer acceptable, so is singing certain types of song at the football.

Jpdhfc
23-04-2017, 06:46 PM
What poison did they come out with this time?

A uniform so simple in its style
Pro IRA song

Malthibby
23-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Here you go, hope this jogs your memory.

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/1367815-celtic-fan-charged-with-hanging-blow-up-dolls-at-old-firm-game/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1327712/Celtic-apologise-fans-bloodstained-poppy-protest.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5ZS3QRJ7Q

PS - We're nothing like them at all so you should get that idea out of your head.

:agree:Two sides of the same coin, please don't ever kid yourself otherwise. Rankers are worsr, no question, but Celtic F.C. need & want them,
even if some of their fans don't.
Destroying Scottish footie since 1690 ( okay, wee exaggeration ).

delbert
23-04-2017, 06:55 PM
:agree:Two sides of the same coin, please don't ever kid yourself otherwise. Rankers are worsr, no question, but Celtic F.C. need & want them,
even if some of their fans don't.
Destroying Scottish footie since 1690 ( okay, wee exaggeration ).

Two cheeks of the same erse !!

Hibs Class
23-04-2017, 07:01 PM
As long as folk let themselves get offended by songs sung by Rangers, they will continue to do so with even more gusto and take satisfaction in the knowledge that they are getting a reaction.
It doesn't personally bother me that much, it's just background noise to me.

All it takes for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing.

GreenLake
23-04-2017, 07:05 PM
The classic joke. What do you call a hun in a suit?
The defendant.

With cheap suits I saw them wearing at the cup final last year, I would call them a fire hazard.

Bostonhibby
23-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Last time I looked the mid 70's were just over 40 years ago and I also mentioned until well into the 80's. That is also why I asked if the gadj that posted was around in those days.

Much as I have to admit enjoying a rebel song and generally decrying the whole dirty orange ******* thing back in those days, I am also glad that these songs are no longer sung.

It is a mark of progress, although I would also say that I and many others I knew had no interest or supoort for the IRA, buy we still belted out the songs, especially against the Hun. We were young, daft and very tribal. To be fair society has moved on a bit and just as commissioning Love thy Neighbour for the telly is no longer acceptable, so is singing certain types of song at the football.

Good post, I am old enough to say I recognise all of this from that era, but its certainly a rarity amongst the Hibs support now.

Just Alf
23-04-2017, 07:15 PM
Good post, I am old enough to say I recognise all of this from that era, but its certainly a rarity amongst the Hibs support now.
Agreed. The post is spot on.

In fact, in my case "back in the day" I sometimes went with some of my Yam mates to their game (couldn't afford to travel back then) and happily joined in singing to their songbook ... It just wasn't seen as being as bad as it is now.

Thank God for progress.

Edit. I think I'm trying to say I just didn't see any issue either way back then so it didn't bother me what I was singing... As long as we were enjoying ourselves!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Mantis Toboggan
23-04-2017, 07:31 PM

Im not saying i want us to sing those songs.
Their fans support good causes and in my experience are pretty sound.
I cant say the same of rangers.

Winston Ingram
23-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Coz the Currant Buns are a million times worse. Simple really!

There as bad as each other. 2 cheeks of the same arse.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Im not saying i want us to sing those songs.
Their fans support good causes and in my experience are pretty sound.
I cant say the same of rangers.

Rangers do their bit for charity as well.

Celtic and Rangers are both disgusting organisations and we would be better off without the pair of them.

Hibrandenburg
23-04-2017, 08:44 PM

I remember some of that rubbish in the 70's but for the life of me I can't recall any in the 80's. Even if it was about 40 years ago, that is around 1 third of the time Hibs have been in existence and surely can't count as recent history.

The Pointer
23-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Are they though?

Nowadays the only similarity is the colour we play in. That's it. We've moved on while they're rightly compared to their chums bringing hate and bile back here.

It really gets under my skin when people think we have anything in common.

weecounty hibby
23-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Are they though?

The day that Hibs have any more than the colour green in common with that club is the day I stop going to ER. They are only beaten in the ****bag stakes by rangers. If you are alluding to both clubs charitable works well we seem to be able to do it without feeling the need to tell everyone. And rangers have a charity as well so they are hardly unique there either. I detest everything about both of those clubs

Mantis Toboggan
23-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Rangers do their bit for charity as well.

Celtic and Rangers are both disgusting organisations and we would be better off without the pair of them.

There is a lot of celtic slating here but i asked for evidence. Does anyone have any?

Mantis Toboggan
23-04-2017, 11:17 PM
There is a lot of celtic slating here but i asked for evidence. Does anyone have any?

Shan Celtc banner nonwithstanding

CathroMustStay
24-04-2017, 12:03 AM
Sevconians are the most ****miest, bigoted knuckle draggers in British football bar none.

monktonharp
24-04-2017, 12:43 AM

The day that Easter Road becomes a smaller version of Parkhead is the day that I stop going to games.the 70s and 80s were not 20 years ago:wink:

Forza Fred
24-04-2017, 05:49 AM

Mate, the aches and pains In the joints make sure I do!😂

Hibrandenburg
24-04-2017, 06:33 AM
Mate, the aches and pains In the joints make sure I do!😂

Tell me about it buddy :wink:

Johnny Clash
24-04-2017, 07:12 AM
There as bad as each other. 2 cheeks of the same arse.

Serious question: to the folk out there using the 'two cheeks ...' thing. Have you ever gone to a sevco pub/club before a game at Hampden?

I've been to plenty of Celtic venues over last 30 years and we have always been treated fine - without exception. Perhaps some of our 'two cheeks' persuasion can vouch that the blue cheek mob are just as friendly when we walk in to one of their gaffs with our 'Erin Go Bragh' flags?

barcahibs
24-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Serious question: to the folk out there using the 'two cheeks ...' thing. Have you ever gone to a sevco pub/club before a game at Hampden?

I've been to plenty of Celtic venues over last 30 years and we have always been treated fine - without exception. Perhaps some of our 'two cheeks' persuasion can vouch that the blue cheek mob are just as friendly when we walk in to one of their gaffs with our 'Erin Go Bragh' flags?

So because their particular brand of bigotry suits us that makes it ok?

There used to be a smart green and black union jack flag at a lot of our games - would the Hibs fans carrying it get as warm a welcome?

Bigotry is bigotry, whether it personally affects us or not. Theres all sorts of forms of bigotry out there that don't personally affect me, that doesnt mean i dont stand up against it.

Extreme example (and not aimed at you personally) but do as a white person should I ignore racism because I would be welcome in a "whites" only club?

celtc fans may choose to patronisingly view us as their little cousins in arms from the East but they can shove it IMO.

I've known both celtc and zombie fans who've been good guys in normal conversation but I've never met anyone from either side you can have a sensible conversation about football with. Each side as poisonous and deluded as the other.

Hibernia&Alba
24-04-2017, 07:48 AM
It's lazy to say they are just as bad as each other; they aren't. Anyone looking objectively at the numbers involved and the frequency of the bigoted songs would have to conclude Rangers fans are worse. However, there are a large number of moronic bigots within the Celtic support who persist with the IRA songs, which is unacceptable. The Celtic fans do, however, avoid anti-Protestant songs, whereas Rangers fans are driven by anti-Catholicism. I'd like to see the SFA introduce the same strict liability policy of UEFA.

Paisley Hibby
24-04-2017, 07:48 AM

Celtic are to us what Bjorn Again are to ABBA.

Hibrandenburg
24-04-2017, 07:53 AM

There used to be a smart green and black union jack flag at a lot of our games - would the Hibs fans carrying it get as warm a welcome?

Bigotry is bigotry, whether it personally affects us or not. Theres all sorts of forms of bigotry out there that don't personally affect me, that doesnt mean i dont stand up against it.

Extreme example (and not aimed at you personally) but do as a white person should I ignore racism because I would be welcome in a "whites" only club?

celtc fans may choose to patronisingly view us as their little cousins in arms from the East but they can shove it IMO.

I've known both celtc and zombie fans who've been good guys in normal conversation but I've never met anyone from either side you can have a sensible conversation about football with. Each side as poisonous and deluded as the other.

Great post.

bigwheel
24-04-2017, 08:01 AM

The bigotry from Rangers and Celtic fans, in my experience, is largely different. There are huge swathes of Rangers support that sign sectarian songs. There are few Celtic fans who sign anti protestant songs. There are many who sing republican and songs of freedom - which are more of a political nature - rather than sectarian. Completely understand why that may be viewed as not acceptable to some - but it is not bigoted.

Equally, I'm not saying there won't be exceptions - but as a general rule there is very little religious oriented signing from Celtic fans these day - and certainly almost none at their games - might be some outside in the pubs (no idea about that tbh).

Rangers fans on the other hand continue to create anti-catholic songs and introduce new ones even this season...I've said it before on this site, but on a religious bigotry basis - there is no comparison. Rangers are MUCH worse.

Hibernia&Alba
24-04-2017, 08:04 AM
The bigotry from Rangers and Celtic fans, in my experience, is largely different. There are huge swathes of Rangers support that sign sectarian songs. There are few Celtic fans who sign anti protestant songs. There are many who sing republican and songs of freedom - which are more of a political nature - rather than sectarian. Completely understand why that may be viewed as not acceptable to some - but it is not bigoted.

Equally, I'm not saying there won't be exceptions - but as a general rule there is very little religious oriented signing from Celtic fans these day - and certainly almost none at their games - might be some outside in the pubs (no idea about that tbh).

Rangers fans on the other hand continue to create anti-catholic songs and introduce new ones even this season...I've said it before on this site, but on a religious bigotry basis - there is no comparison. Rangers are MUCH worse.

I agree with you. Not condoning the IRA songs for a moment, but I don't think it's fair to trot out the 'both as bad as each other' line; certainly not in terms of religious bigotry, as opposed to the political stuff.

Smartie
24-04-2017, 08:11 AM
I think I've been to a few too many derbies at Tynecastle over the past decade to get all high and mighty over this.

Johnny Clash
24-04-2017, 09:14 AM

With all due respect mate you've totally avoided answering the question. It seems that everyone who uses the 'two cheeks' thing cannot honestly say they would even contemplate setting foot in a billy boy venue before a Hibs game. Yet tens of thousands of us go to Celtic venues every time we play at Hampden. To even remotely suggest we are comfortable doing that is because we condone some form of supposed religious bigotry is bonkers. I know loads of Celtic supporters and not heard a single one say they hate protestants. Not heard a single song about being being up to their knees in Protestant blood. They would have to hate Kenny Dalgleish, Jock Stein and even Wolfe Tone. I've heard Political views yes, religious bigotry no.

I honestly cannot say the same about the sevconians I've met. I can disagree with their take on the politics but so many descend into various degrees of religious hatred that makes me sick. That's why I think there's a difference.

Your union jack thing makes no sense to me. You seriously think you'd be ok walking into a 'sons of william' bar draped in a green Union Jack?? Plus, Ive also seen hibees wearing tee shirts with the 'our colours don't run' Union Jack design and get no grief in Celtic clubs. The green/black Union Jack isn't about British imperialism/rule Britannia - my understanding over the years is that it's more to do with CCS - but to be honest I'm no expert there.

Totally agree with you regards standing up to all forms of bigotry. It's a well made point mate but who is saying they support or condone bigotry on this thread? Religious bigotry sucks as much as racism, sexism, homophobia and anything else that tries to persecute folk. I agree with you there. Ive directly fought against racism and was arrested and expelled from apartheid South Africa as a result so I totally get that. That's exactly why I think it's wrong to use the 'two cheeks' thing. Sevconians use religious intolerance as a weapon of hatred. The politics of Ireland is far more complex but the unbridled religious hatred coming from the blue corner is there for all to see/hear.

I'm against intolerance but in my opinion the two cheeks thing doesn't stack up.

Bostonhibby
24-04-2017, 09:29 AM
With all due respect mate you've totally avoided answering the question. It seems that everyone who uses the 'two cheeks' thing cannot honestly say they would even contemplate setting foot in a billy boy venue before a Hibs game. Yet tens of thousands of us go to Celtic venues every time we play at Hampden. To even remotely suggest we are comfortable doing that is because we condone some form of supposed religious bigotry is bonkers. I know loads of Celtic supporters and not heard a single one say they hate protestants. Not heard a single song about being being up to their knees in Protestant blood. They would have to hate Kenny Dalgleish, Jock Stein and even Wolfe Tone. I've heard Political views yes, religious bigotry no.

I honestly cannot say the same about the sevconians I've met. I can disagree with their take on the politics but so many descend into various degrees of religious hatred that makes me sick. That's why I think there's a difference.

Your union jack thing makes no sense to me. You seriously think you'd be ok walking into a 'sons of william' bar draped in a green Union Jack?? Plus, Ive also seen hibees wearing tee shirts with the 'our colours don't run' Union Jack design and get no grief in Celtic clubs. The green/black Union Jack isn't about British imperialism/rule Britannia - my understanding over the years is that it's more to do with CCS - but to be honest I'm no expert there.

Totally agree with you regards standing up to all forms of bigotry. It's a well made point mate but who is saying they support or condone bigotry on this thread? Religious bigotry sucks as much as racism, sexism, homophobia and anything else that tries to persecute folk. I agree with you there. Ive directly fought against racism and was arrested and expelled from apartheid South Africa as a result so I totally get that. That's exactly why I think it's wrong to use the 'two cheeks' thing. Sevconians use religious intolerance as a weapon of hatred. The politics of Ireland is far more complex but the unbridled religious hatred coming from the blue corner is there for all to see/hear.

I'm against intolerance but in my opinion the two cheeks thing doesn't stack up.

This is a really well thought out post and it gets me to reconsider my previous two cheeks same erse position. I know many celtc fans personally and professionally and I do find their patronisation of Hibs and me as a Hibby hugely frustrating as we don't look for it or crave it yet they seem to have this need.......it extends in a yam like "special relationship" way to other clubs as well, Liverpool for example. The huns song book is truly truly tragic and says so much about them to people listening. Celtc might have more to sing about and a better range of songs that aren't about just the one thing but you don't have to dig too deep for some pretty difficult to believe / verify allegiances and statements to emerge.

I find the hate filled one dimensional unionist / anti catholic inward looking hun mentality difficult to even comprehend. I never really get any reasoned argument from them as it just seems to be something that is passed as unquestionable from one generation to the other - so to that extent they are different from celtc who do seem to have moved on a bit or maybe are managing to contain it a bit better (?) but you don't have to talk for too long to the ones I know for the dated, misty eyed and often historically wrong Irish rubbish to kick in.

I am revising my description going forward to different cheeks of the same erse, eventually the divide between the two sets of fans might become so great that one day they will both be different erses in their own right.

Killiehibbie
24-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Rangers have always been worse with their songs of hatred.

Austinho
24-04-2017, 10:04 AM
Like any club, they both have idiots in their support. It's just that at Rangers, they seem to be in the majority. Even the decent, level headed ones seem to engage in venomous hatred on match days.

A Ger I went to school with even got sacked from the police for being caught singing sectarian songs at Ibrox. It was all over the papers, and I've not heard a peep from him since.

I also remember walking up Easter Road after a Rangers game once, and being spat at and called a fenian b******. I was a child, and holding my dads hand at the time. Hard to imagine any other club in Scotland stooping as low as that.

steakbake
24-04-2017, 11:18 AM
I've walked through a Celtic crowd before a game and thought they were a noisy bunch with a few d***heads, but nothing too troubling.

I've walked through The Rangers fans and felt pretty threatened, that something could kick off at any point and that most of their fans liked to indulge in their songbook.

I've known Celtic and Rangers fans personally and always felt that element of their "heritage" is far stronger with TRFC fandans than with Celtic fans.

.Sean.
24-04-2017, 11:29 AM
The love-in some folk seem to have for Celtic on some Hibs pages on Facebook is nauseating. I hate any notion we have some sort of affinity with them.

cleanyman
24-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Jeez

Of course you would feel threatened walking through a bunch of Rangers fans. You're wearing green and white. What do you expect?

Celtic wouldn't give a **** as we are seen as part of the family. Like it or not.

WeeRussell
24-04-2017, 11:33 AM
100% in agreement with the general consensus that as a Hibs fan, I in no way, want to be talked about as having any sort of affiliation or connection with Celtic.

I would also agree that Celtic aren't quite as bad as the Huns in terms of their bigotry and efforts to clean up their act. At least Celtic as a CLUB appear to have taken some steps (even if large numbers of their supporters aren't on board), whereas the bigotry and hatred is what Rangers are all about, right through.

However, the fact that Rangers are being used as the comparison in terms of bigotry levels, tells you all you need to know about how ****my Celtic are.

F*** them both.

Bostonhibby
24-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Ibrox is still the only ground I have been spat at and have seen women spat at. Steward wasn't interested and walked away. Mate got ejected for threatening the spitters who were above us complained to plod who said "you're in Glasgow" wry wee smile and turned and walked off. It was in the 80,s so probably the chief constable now.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

flash
24-04-2017, 11:50 AM
I suppose the main difference is the Rangers songbook is largely based on arrogant supremacy whereas Celtics tends to be more songs about resistance to said supremacy.

Tamhere1875
24-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Never had any problems at parkhead where as at ibrox that's a totally different thing, spat at had things thrown in amongst us treated like crap by pc plod and the so called stewards, aye I'm looking forward to visiting the land that time forgot again next season.

Hibernia&Alba
24-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Never had any problems at parkhead where as at ibrox that's a totally different thing, spat at had things thrown in amongst us treated like crap by pc plod and the so called stewards, aye I'm looking forward to visiting the land that time forgot again next season.

That's always going to be the case for Hibs fans at Ibrox. Hearts fans probably get better treatment there, for example. However, the Huns do have more form for anti-social behaviour and violence generally.

AndyM_1875
24-04-2017, 12:39 PM
That's always going to be the case for Hibs fans at Ibrox. Hearts fans probably get better treatment there, for example. However, the Huns do have more form for anti-social behaviour and violence generally.

Perhaps pre 2012 that was the case. Not now.
Hearts fans have been assaulted and in one case very seriously attacked at Ibrox on recent visits. Plus our maroon chums give it large against Rangers with the "You let your club die" and "Rangers died, Hearts survived" chants.
All very infantile stuff but it appears to really annoy the currant buns :faf:.

Hibrandenburg
24-04-2017, 01:40 PM

Go to parkhead with a hearts scarf on and I'd imagine you'd have a much different experience. Like Barcahibs (think that was the name) said. Just because they're not bigoted towards us doesn't excuse them.

steakbake
24-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Jeez

Of course you would feel threatened walking through a bunch of Rangers fans. You're wearing green and white. What do you expect?

Celtic wouldn't give a **** as we are seen as part of the family. Like it or not.

Doesn't bother me. We were first in the green!

What I would say is that the west approach to Hampden on 21-05 was absolute mayhem before we even got near the stadium. They are a disgrace. And I've seen them certainly more times than just in the cup final, including their predecessor club's fans. I used to live near Pittodrie and every game the Rangers came up, there was carnage. The same is just not true for Celtic.

I've never really been that bothered by Celtic fans. Even Jambos maybe dish out a slagging, but I've not heard pubs filled with them belting out sectarian tunes or buses driving past with flute music and loyalist flags.

Sir David Gray
24-04-2017, 04:33 PM
It's lazy to say they are just as bad as each other; they aren't. Anyone looking objectively at the numbers involved and the frequency of the bigoted songs would have to conclude Rangers fans are worse. However, there are a large number of moronic bigots within the Celtic support who persist with the IRA songs, which is unacceptable. The Celtic fans do, however, avoid anti-Protestant songs, whereas Rangers fans are driven by anti-Catholicism. I'd like to see the SFA introduce the same strict liability policy of UEFA.

The Celtic fans avoid anti-Protestant songs?

I must have misheard them singing about several Rangers managers over the years and telling them to cheer up because they're a "sad Proddy *******" as the song goes.

They might sing less songs about Protestants as the other lot sing about Roman Catholics but they don't have to sing anti-Protestant songs to be considered as bad as Rangers.

Songs supporting the Provisional IRA, a group that was responsible for murdering innocent men, women and children is just as bad (in my opinion) than singing songs against a religious group.

Jack Hackett
24-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Hands up those who think that the ending would have been the same, or even similar, If it was Celtc we had beat last May.

I don't particularly like them but I detest Der Hun

Elephant Stone
24-04-2017, 05:49 PM

I must have misheard them singing about several Rangers managers over the years and telling them to cheer up because they're a "sad Proddy *******" as the song goes.

They might sing less songs about Protestants as the other lot sing about Roman Catholics but they don't have to sing anti-Protestant songs to be considered as bad as Rangers.

Songs supporting the Provisional IRA, a group that was responsible for murdering innocent men, women and children is just as bad (in my opinion) than singing songs against a religious group.

I think you're confusing 'proddy' with 'orange'. They are very, very different things.

McD
24-04-2017, 06:16 PM

Rangers are ****, but this isn't any better. 2 different types of ****

Siralbertkidd
24-04-2017, 06:24 PM

Totally agree SDG, think some on here are only hearing what they want to.
The Soldier Song starts North men, South men, comrades all, soon there'll be no protestants at all....
Its belted out regularly by the celtc "fans".

Elephant Stone
24-04-2017, 06:30 PM
The Soldier Song starts North men, South men, comrades all, soon there'll be no protestants at all....

How did you arrive at this conclusion mate?

The Harp Awakes
24-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Like any club, they both have idiots in their support. It's just that at Rangers, they seem to be in the majority. Even the decent, level headed ones seem to engage in venomous hatred on match days.

A Ger I went to school with even got sacked from the police for being caught singing sectarian songs at Ibrox. It was all over the papers, and I've not heard a peep from him since.

I also remember walking up Easter Road after a Rangers game once, and being spat at and called a fenian b******. I was a child, and holding my dads hand at the time. Hard to imagine any other club in Scotland stooping as low as that.

Nail on the head. The two cheeks of the same erse argument which is trotted out after every weekly display of religious bigotry by Sevco fans just prevents them from being taken to task. Sevco fans and Rangers fans before them, have been getting away with spouting their filth for decades. Nothing will change because the majority of their support are bigots and the minority who aren't, are scared of speaking out.

barcahibs
24-04-2017, 06:38 PM

I don't think I'm avoiding the question - i just think some people don't like the answer.

You (I'm going to keep saying 'you' but obviously i don't mean you personally - it's the 'royal you' ;) )

'You' aren't offended or upset by celtcs preferred brand of bigotry so it's therefore not as bad as the zombie version. That's what it seems to boil down to for some people. That doesnt make it any less offensive or vile to those who it is aimed at. Again, try going back to 'your' celtc bar in a union jack and see if they're still as happy to get misty eyed over the freedom fighters of Ireland as they were before. A hertz supporting friend of mine tells a great story of accidentally ending up in a celtc pub and barely escaping with his life. Its not so much fun when you're not their wee green and white 'pals'.

Am i supposed be grateful that celtc fans welcome us into their clubs? Of course they do. In their twisted world the fact that we wear green and carry Harps and tricolours somehow means we're on their side. Well i sure as hell am not. The fact that there is any sort of reaction - either positive or begative - to our heritage reinforces my point.

Two sides of the same coin, one likes us, one hates us - all because of our colours and history. That's bigotry.

The fact that you're coming up with reasons why Hibs fans might carry a union jack flag, or an England flag, or an Ireland flag is part of it too. I don't care why Hibs fans choose to have a flag. Maybe they're celebrating their Scottish/British/English/Irish heritage, maybe they're being ironic, maybe it has a ccs link, maybe they just like the pattern or the colour.

The point is it doesnt matter. celtc/sevco choose to put a political slant on everything they do because they're sad weirdoes obsessed with ancient politics. We don't.

Actually walking into a sevco bar in a green union jack might be worth trying - several of them might self combust trying to work it out... :)

And for those describing the terrible experiences they've had walking through crowds of sevconians, i agree. I've been there too and it isnt fun.

Remind me which set of followers of the gruesome twosome it was who decided to throw tear gas into a Hibs crowd though?

Aye, they love us right enough. When it suits them. When we're on message and on their side. When we're not a threat.

Apologies for any disrespect that appears to come from the above, genuinely don't mean any of it personally to anyone - we're all allowed our own views and politics. That's what makes us better than them ;)

barcahibs
24-04-2017, 06:47 PM
I think you're confusing 'proddy' with 'orange'. They are very, very different things.

And that's how they suck you in. That's how they win.

'Aye but it doesn't mean that in this context'

'Aye but when we say x, we mean y'

'Aye when they say it they're being bigots, we're just being political'

'Aye but what about them? They're worse.'

Is it about football? Is it about 21st century Scotland?

Both sides do it. Hair splitting and whataboutery desig edto pull you into a semantic argument that shows that everything they do is ok and everything the other does is wrong.

Nothing really wrong with that, typical rivalry - we do the same with the hearts - but the fact that they're able to somehow bring it out of the stadiums and draw all of Scottish society into the debate and drag us all down with them is what is so poisonous, and sad.

Pretty Boy
24-04-2017, 06:52 PM
As long as the 'two cheeks' line keeps getting trotted out then the big lie will continue.

Celtic fans may be idiots, patronising, ignorant, arrogant and whatever else but when it comes to sectarianism they are not even close to Rangers fans. Over the years I have met many Protestant Celtic fans. I have never encountered a Catholic Rangers fan.

Super_JMcGinn
24-04-2017, 06:54 PM
I agree but I would also say celtic fans have improved their act a lot over the last 6/7 years (compared to what they were). Still a long way to go though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHSr2-QFlo&t=32s

And many would disagree.

Elephant Stone
24-04-2017, 06:58 PM
And that's how they suck you in. That's how they win.

'Aye but it doesn't mean that in this context'

'Aye but when we say x, we mean y'

'Aye when they say it they're being bigots, we're just being political'

'Aye but what about them? They're worse.'

Is it about football? Is it about 21st century Scotland?

Both sides do it. Hair splitting and whataboutery desig edto pull you into a semantic argument that shows that everything they do is ok and everything the other does is wrong.

Nothing really wrong with that, typical rivalry - we do the same with the hearts - but the fact that they're able to somehow bring it out of the stadiums and draw all of Scottish society into the debate and drag us all down with them is what is so poisonous, and sad.

Nah, there's no sucking in or confusing meaning or whataboutery in the slightest. The poster said that he must have misheard Celtic singing 'proddy *******" Well, he has misheard them because they don't sing that. Calling Rangers Orange *******s is absolutely, 100% different. The vast majority of religious people in this country are Protestant, they are not orange. The vast majority of people in this country are white, they are not white supremacists. Calling a white supremacist out for being a white supremacist is not racist or an attack on white people in the same way that calling out a protestant supremacist for being a protestant supremacist is not an attack on protestant people.

RIP Bestie
24-04-2017, 07:04 PM

And we have never done that, have we??
Oh wait a minute.
Folk in glass houses and all that.

Itsnoteasy
24-04-2017, 07:06 PM
As long as the 'two cheeks' line keeps getting trotted out then the big lie will continue.

Celtic fans may be idiots, patronising, ignorant, arrogant and whatever else but when it comes to sectarianism they are not even close to Rangers fans. Over the years I have met many Protestant Celtic fans. I have never encountered a Catholic Rangers fan.

I know one who is the most bigoted hun on the planet.
But he sends his kids to a Catholic school. Cannae work it oot .

hibsbollah
24-04-2017, 07:11 PM

:top marksThat's my position too. (apart from the being expelled from South Africa bit, I never did that).

Sir David Gray
24-04-2017, 07:39 PM

I'm not confusing anything, I have heard Celtic fans sing that but even if it was "Orange *******" that they are singing, why is that any better?

Rangers are ****, but this isn't any better. 2 different types of ****

Exactly. I can't understand how so many people view Celtic fans more favourably than Rangers.

They are both **** as far as I'm concerned. It's just different kinds of ****.

Any group of fans that sing songs about a terrorist organisation, bring controversial politics from another country into Scottish football and disrupt a minute's silence during a national day of remembrance are **** in my eyes. Just because they don't engage in songs about hating Protestants all the time doesn't really matter.

Of course Hibs fans are generally going to have a better experience of mixing with Celtic fans than they are with Rangers fans as Celtic fans generally view us in a patronising way as their wee cousins and "one of them".

If you spoke to any decent Hearts fans who regularly go to Ibrox or Parkhead, I'm sure they would have a different view.

That speaks volumes about the pair of them and I wish they would both disappear off the face of the Earth.

Sir David Gray
24-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Nah, there's no sucking in or confusing meaning or whataboutery in the slightest. The poster said that he must have misheard Celtic singing 'proddy *******" Well, he has misheard them because they don't sing that. Calling Rangers Orange *******s is absolutely, 100% different. The vast majority of religious people in this country are Protestant, they are not orange. The vast majority of people in this country are white, they are not white supremacists. Calling a white supremacist out for being a white supremacist is not racist or an attack on white people in the same way that calling out a protestant supremacist for being a protestant supremacist is not an attack on protestant people.

Did the Celtic fans used to sing to Alex McLeish that he was an "Orange *******" because they genuinely thought he was involved in the Orange Lodge and a religious zealot who despised the Catholic faith? Or did they sing that to him because of his assumed religious persuasion?

I think I know the answer.

Whether or not they called him (and others associated with Rangers over the years) a Proddy ******* or an Orange ******* is really neither here nor there. The meaning behind it is the same.

Elephant Stone
24-04-2017, 07:46 PM
I'm not confusing anything, I have heard Celtic fans sing that but even if it was "Orange *******" that they are singing, why is that any better?

I've answered that above mate, have a look if you want. Don't want to repeat myself and seem like any more of a Celtic arse-kisser than I no doubt already am.

.Sean.
24-04-2017, 07:46 PM

Exactly. I can't understand how so many people view Celtic fans more favourably than Rangers.

They are both **** as far as I'm concerned. It's just different kinds of ****.

Any group of fans that sing songs about a terrorist organisation, bring controversial politics from another country into Scottish football and disrupt a minute's silence during a national day of remembrance are **** in my eyes. Just because they don't engage in songs about hating Protestants all the time doesn't really matter.

Of course Hibs fans are generally going to have a better experience of mixing with Celtic fans than they are with Rangers fans as Celtic fans generally view us in a patronising way as their wee cousins and "one of them".

If you spoke to any decent Hearts fans who regularly go to Ibrox or Parkhead, I'm sure they would have a different view.

That speaks volumes about the pair of them and I wish they would both disappear off the face of the Earth.Bang on the money as per mate.

**** the pair of them

Sir David Gray
24-04-2017, 07:49 PM
I've answered that above mate, have a look if you want. Don't want to repeat myself and seem like any more of a Celtic arse-kisser than I no doubt already am.

I noticed that after I had posted my first reply and I have already responded.

Elephant Stone
24-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Did the Celtic fans used to sing to Alex McLeish that he was an "Orange *******" because they genuinely thought he was involved in the Orange Lodge and a religious zealot who despised the Catholic faith? Or did they sing that to him because of his assumed religious persuasion?

Whether or not they called him (and others associated with Rangers over the years) a Proddy ******* or an Orange ******* is really neither here nor there. The meaning behind it is the same.

They sang that about Alex McLeish because he was manager of Rangers. The most orange sporting organisation that could possibly be imagined. Did they sing it about Alex McLeish when he was manager of Hibs? If it was because of his 'assumed religion' then why would they not sing it about him them? Or when he was manager of Motherwell?

Dashing Bob S
24-04-2017, 07:56 PM

In some ways they are two cheeks, as Celtic have historically fed off Rangers bigotry, first by playing the victims, then by ham-fistedly taking the moral high ground. Their behavior is ugly and cynical, but you are correct, it's in no way as toxic as that of Rangers.

It's interesting that, as always happens with any working-class supremacist institution, how Rangers have become a badge of dishonor for the most uneducated and low life of the losers of post-industrial society. When you see somebody with a Rangers strip, you just think, often unjustly, 'this person is a wee bit simple.' I know Rangers fans from Glasgow who are smart, decent people and are a bit embarrassed that their club has been steadily co-opted by morons and bigots from Ayrshire, Lanarkshire and Ulster one-horse towns.

While I've seldom met a Rangers fan from Glasgow who wasn't okay, i've yet met one from outside it who wasn't a singularly unimpressive human being, and usually in myriad ways.

Pete
24-04-2017, 07:58 PM
I know lots of people who consider themselves to be British or are linked to the armed forces who are extremely offended by Celtic's songs and their symbolism.

It's not lazy to say they are two cheeks of the same erse, I've just come up that conclusion because I've put myself in other people's shoes.

In fact, the conclusion I've come to is that it's all a load of ***** and we are a shining beacon when it comes to inclusion.

Sir David Gray
24-04-2017, 08:00 PM
They sang that about Alex McLeish because he was manager of Rangers. The most orange sporting organisation that could possibly be imagined. Did they sing it about Alex McLeish when he was manager of Hibs? If it was because of his 'assumed religion' then why would they not sing it about him them?

Because when he was the manager of us, he didn't have any previous ties to Rangers. It would only be after his move to Rangers that they would hear all about that he was a Rangers man etc etc through the media so the Celtic fans who sing that will take that to mean that he's a Protestant.

Kato
24-04-2017, 08:11 PM

That might be what some Celtic fans sing but it's not the words of the Soldiers Song. An Irish (Hibby) mate once confounded them by pulling them up over that error. They asked "woats the wurdz then" and he proceeded to sing the actual song, in Gaelic.

Elephant Stone
24-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Because when he was the manager of us, he didn't have any previous ties to Rangers. It would only be after his move to Rangers that they would hear all about that he was a Rangers man etc etc through the media so the Celtic fans who sing that will take that to mean that he's a Protestant.

Jeez-o, could you get any more speculative?

Scotland is a Protestant country. Most people, if they have a religion, will be Protestant. Celtic do not sing oppressive songs about these people and do not object to them being Protestant. The majority of Dundee fans are Protestant, the majority of Dundee players are Protestant, the majority of Dundee managers are Protestant. There does not need to be a link to Rangers through the media for people to work this out. Most people here are Protestant. They are not 'orange', and they are not subject to any offensive singing by Celtic fans whatsoever.

Rangers, on the other hand, are obviously a Protestant majority club but they handle this in a fascist, supremacist way. They are therefore called out as being orange. Pedro Caixihna is probably Catholic, but he now manages this club which is definitively orange. He will be now therefore be called orange, by Celtic fans. Not because they think he is Protestant, not because Celtic hate Protestants, but because he is the manager of Rangers, an orange club.

theonlywayisup
24-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Admins - should this thread be moved off the football thread. Not much football being discussed.

cleanyman
24-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Jeez-o, could you get any more speculative?

Scotland is a Protestant country. Most people, if they have a religion, will be Protestant. Celtic do not sing oppressive songs about these people and do not object to them being Protestant. The majority of Dundee fans are Protestant, the majority of Dundee players are Protestant, the majority of Dundee managers are Protestant. There does not need to be a link to Rangers through the media for people to work this out. Most people here are Protestant. They are not 'orange', and they are not subject to any offensive singing by Celtic fans whatsoever.

Rangers, on the other hand, are obviously a Protestant majority club but they handle this in a fascist, supremacist way. They are therefore called out as being orange. Pedro Caixihna is probably Catholic, but he now manages this club which is definitively orange. He will be now therefore be called orange, by Celtic fans. Not because they think he is Protestant, not because Celtic hate Protestants, but because he is the manager of Rangers, an orange club.

Whit are you oan about

cleanyman
24-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Rangers play great football.

Thread must stay

CockneyRebel
24-04-2017, 08:19 PM

I thought it was because he's ginger.

Fuzzywuzzy
24-04-2017, 08:20 PM
I was sitting in the car at silverknowes this afternoon and came to the conclusion that sevco fans are like seagulls. Vicious ****ers, vermin, no one likes them but the powers that be deem that they should be treated differently.

Elephant Stone
24-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Whit are you oan about

Orange and Protestant are different things. Objecting to someone for being Orange is not objecting to them for being Protestant. Pretty simple.:confused:

cleanyman
24-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Orange and Protestant are different things. Objecting to someone for being Orange is not objecting to them for being Protestant. Pretty simple.:confused:

Orange is a colour or a fruit or even a chocolate

tamig
24-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Admins - should this thread be moved off the football thread. Not much football being discussed.
The thread title kind of gives a clue. When you started reading the thread, how did you honestly expect the discussion to pan out? People are having a good bit of chat. Ignore it if you don't like it. Plenty other football related threads on the board bizarrely enough.

Elephant Stone
24-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Orange is a colour or a fruit or even a chocolate

Yes mate, some really good chocolates are orange, and that's fine :agree:

superfurryhibby
24-04-2017, 08:38 PM
I know lots of people who consider themselves to be British or are linked to the armed forces who are extremely offended by Celtic's songs and their symbolism.

It's not lazy to say they are two cheeks of the same erse, I've just come up that conclusion because I've put myself in other people's shoes.

In fact, the conclusion I've come to is that it's all a load of ***** and we are a shining beacon when it comes to inclusion.

I know many people who consider Britain offensive and strongly object to the way our armed forces have been constantly deployed in a cynical and brutal way around the globe and closer to home.

I say that coming from a family who have a very strong military tradition and one in where I am very proud of my Nazi fighting grandfathers.

Bostonhibby
24-04-2017, 08:49 PM
I know one who is the most bigoted hun on the planet.
But he sends his kids to a Catholic school. Cannae work it oot .
My cousin's also a the rangers fan with a Catholic background. Truth is he's passionate about neither. Attends Scotland games all over and both his daughters have become Hibs kids so he takes them along to games. Still won't admit he's on the road to redemption though.

barcahibs
24-04-2017, 08:51 PM
I know many people who consider Britain offensive and strongly object to the way our armed forces have been constantly deployed in a cynical and brutal way around the globe and closer to home.

I say that coming from a family who have a very strong military tradition and one in where I am very

That's nice.

I completely disagree with that political/historic viewpoint.

Luckily however it's got bugger all to do with football so we can both happily go to Easter Road and support the Hibs without caring. You know what's really nice about my seat in the ground? The folk around me. Do you know what their politics or religion are? No, neither do I. I know we're all Hibbies though.

It's only celgers fans who would have one of us barred.

SuperAllyMcleod
24-04-2017, 08:57 PM

That for me hits the nail on the head as to why they are as bad as each other. They both carry so much 'non-football' baggage into football stadia around the country.

Every other clubs fans are only interested in the football and singing songs of support, or songs that wind up the opposition. They have no interest in what happens in Ireland , now or in the past.

Scotland must be the only league in the world where the two biggest clubs fans are obsessed with another country and, given the chance, would move to the English league without a backward glance.

superfurryhibby
24-04-2017, 08:58 PM
That's nice.

I completely disagree with that political/historic viewpoint.

Luckily however it's got bugger all to do with football so we can both happily go to Easter Road and support the Hibs without caring. You know what's really nice about my seat in the ground? The folk around me. Do you know what their politics or religion are? No, neither do I. I know we're all Hibbies though.

It's only celgers fans who would have one of us barred.

Fine to disagree, but my point is that there is no heirarchy of offence.

Like you, I enjoy supporting Hibs and beyond objecting to racist and peadophile type banter, don't give a flying **** about the views of my fellow fans.

Not sure what a celger fan is or what banned has to do with it, but I will argue until the cows come home that the two cheeks of the erchie arguement serves only the status quo:aok:

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2017, 09:01 PM
One might be a bit worse than the other, but both are still ****. Cant believe Celtic are getting less stick because their actions are not quite as bad as sevco?

SanFranHibs
24-04-2017, 09:25 PM

I have to agree to a great extent. Having moved around a bit, as I am sure many on here have, I find the Rangers fans bigotry on a different level. I have met many Celtic fans when I lived in Europe and here in the States and I have to admit they obviously are much more comfortable knowing I am a Hibs fan. However, not one cares that I am not a Catholic and indeed have an aversion to religion.

I fully appreciate different groups have different views on other entities, political, military etc and whilst me may not agree in these areas I have not yet encountered a Celtic fan who hated me because I am not a Catholic. I may yet but I can only go on decades of personal experience.

barcahibs
24-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Fine to disagree, but my point is that there is no heirarchy of offence.

Like you, I enjoy supporting Hibs and beyond objecting to racist and peadophile type banter, don't give a flying **** about the views of my fellow fans.

Not sure what a celger fan is or what banned has to do with it, but I will argue until the cows come home that the two cheeks of the erchie arguement serves only the status quo:aok:

Apologies, showing my age.

When the old Roy of the Rovers comic had its hero make a journey North into the wilds of Jockland the teams that inevitably ended up featuring against the mighty Melchester Rovers were usually 'Celgers' and 'Rantic'. Always stuck with me :) I presume one side were supported by orange kafflicks and the other by republican unionists. In a small nod to realism however neither side had any affinity with soap.

I presume the real reason was so that Glaswegian fans could still wonder what team Roy really supported.

Hibrandenburg
24-04-2017, 09:48 PM

Do you seriously think that Celtic fans differentiate between the two?

Hibrandenburg
24-04-2017, 09:56 PM
I have to agree to a great extent. Having moved around a bit, as I am sure many on here have, I find the Rangers fans bigotry on a different level. I have met many Celtic fans when I lived in Europe and here in the States and I have to admit they obviously are much more comfortable knowing I am a Hibs fan. However, not one cares that I am not a Catholic and indeed have an aversion to religion.

I fully appreciate different groups have different views on other entities, political, military etc and whilst me may not agree in these areas I have not yet encountered a Celtic fan who hated me because I am not a Catholic. I may yet but I can only go on decades of personal experience.

Their bigotry towards you might be different because at the very worst you're a neutral. It's a bit like saying the Nazis were ok because they treated their British POW's with respect because they saw them as brethren.

majorhibs
24-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Do you seriously think that Celtic fans differentiate between the two?

Now your takin liberties, d'you seriously think all tics are Catholic? A few on here like grand master Gray fi Falkirk etc cannae see woods for trees.

Sir David Gray
24-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Now your takin liberties, d'you seriously think all tics are Catholic? A few on here like grand master Gray fi Falkirk etc cannae see woods for trees.

:faf: You're hilarious.

SanFranHibs
25-04-2017, 01:25 AM
Their bigotry towards you might be different because at the very worst you're a neutral. It's a bit like saying the Nazis were ok because they treated their British POW's with respect because they saw them as brethren.

They are either bigoted towards me or they are not. Not a 'different bigotry'. If they are very friendly and indeed one in L.A. was my best mate and one in Paris my best mate then there was no bigotry. Not even a different kind of bigotry.

And it's actually nothing like saying the Nazis were ok.

Hibernia&Alba
25-04-2017, 01:50 AM
I think an important distinction is the behaviour of the home support in each case. Celtic have successfully reduced songs about religion and Ireland at home matches to a minimal level, Old Firm games apart, of course! Their away support - the hardcore - are still in a time warp of IRA singalongs. Rangers, on the other hand, will blast out their nonsense home and away every week. This isn't an apology for the bammery that exists within the Celtic support (they still have a long way to go) but it's merely an acknowledgement that the number of such songs, and the frequency with which they are sung, are different at the two clubs. I would say it's much easier to be a Protestant Celtic supporter than it is being a Roman Catholic Rangers supporter. This is why I think it's glib to use the 'both as bad as each other line', but I do think both are a problem.

I do agree with the OP also that the fascination amongst some Rangers fans with the molestation of children is deeply troubling. It's hard to imagine how a grown man can sing that stuff in public, and in a place where there are children around too. However, that's a slightly different issue from the bigotry problem.

InchHibby
25-04-2017, 05:21 AM
They can kid each other on about who's worse than who, but their both as bad as each other.
The only difference in my book is that one of them try to come across as the goodie goodies but it's all still there and no matter if some Protestants end up supporting Celtic and maybe some Catholics end up supporting The The Rangers, the truth is the majority, because of their different persuasions, support there team purely because of their religious beliefs and are brought up that way to do so.
There are two ways to rid football of this disgrace, one being, deduct points, the second, get rid of them out of Scotland.
Me personally, their bigotry doesn't bother me, what bothers me more is the years of cheating , abusing and raping other clubs of their best players to ensure the top two places, also the split of money, the voting system on changing any of this abuse, the acceptance of our hierarchy to allow this to happen and also the acceptance of the Glasgow media. Their not making us a laughing stock in the football world, they did that years ago.
There is only one way to save our football and that is to get rid of them, so what if it reduces investment, were hardly getting anything as it is and what we do get, they get, as always, the lions share.

Santa Cruz
25-04-2017, 05:25 AM
Worst thread I've seen in here since I joined - and before anyone says it, I won't click on it again 😀

Pretty Boy
25-04-2017, 06:42 AM
Worst thread I've seen in here since I joined - and before anyone says it, I won't click on it again 😀

I'd strongly disagree with that.

You may not like the content but, excepting a few throwaway comments, it's been debated in a pretty sensible and respectful manner.

Killiehibbie
25-04-2017, 07:17 AM

Celtic fans may be idiots, patronising, ignorant, arrogant and whatever else but when it comes to sectarianism they are not even close to Rangers fans. Over the years I have met many Protestant Celtic fans. I have never encountered a Catholic Rangers fan.Seemingly catholics are welcome but they're too bigoted:rolleyes:

JeMeSouviens
25-04-2017, 10:32 AM
If you look at how this thread started it's the usual story. The Huns do something beyond the pale, rightly get called out for it and then about 2 posts in somebody or other chimes in with "yeah, but Celtc are just as bad, blah blah" and on it goes.

My guess is that we always do this because there is a section of our support that's super touchy about being seen as "mini-Tims" and thus can't let any criticism of the Huns pass without ramming it down everyone's throats that they're 2 cheeks of the same arse etc etc.

Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of objectionable Celtc fans and the Irish republican stuff is pretty tedious (although I would say diminishing). But to say they're as bad as the Huns is just laughable. To take one simple example, could you really see Celtc fans doing what the Huns did in Manchester?

WeeRussell
25-04-2017, 11:23 AM
So, to sum up:

Celtic are a ****my club, who we want nothing to do with.. but are not in the same league as The Rangers. And they can both get to f***?

That'll do me.

JeMeSouviens
25-04-2017, 11:24 AM
So, to sum up:

Celtic are a ****my club, who we want nothing to do with.. but are not in the same league as Rangers. And they can both get to f***?

That'll do me.

:top marks

Hibernia&Alba
25-04-2017, 11:28 AM
So, to sum up:

Celtic are a ****my club, who we want nothing to do with.. but are not in the same league as Rangers. And they can both get to f***?

That'll do me.

I think this is a reasonable conclusion :agree:

Bostonhibby
25-04-2017, 11:51 AM
So, to sum up:

That'll do me.
Other than saying it's celtc and the rangers that's a perfect summation for me.

WeeRussell
25-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Other than saying it's celtc and the rangers that's a perfect summation for me.

A very good point - Edited :greengrin

bronca
25-04-2017, 12:25 PM
I live near Hampden, at 'the Rangers end' :rolleyes: On Sunday, I had an errand to run with the wee man before the match. Immediatly outside my door he heard chants urging 'fenian c****s' to surrender or they'll die and 'Billy Boys' (the minority...apparently) He was also treated to the site of two guys p*ssing on the side wall of one of our local shops and then endured the top of our car getting drummed on as I tried to pull out and get away.

We then had to cut across the Celtic fans on foot round the other side of the stadium, who were generally just laughing, talking and joking as they made their way there, with no rebel or offensive singing from them at that point I could hear.

I'm not offended by swearing or particularly intimidated by rowdy pre-match behaviour, but the atmosphere is totally different - I know what set of fans I'd rather have to walk amongst regardless of their clubs politics/leanings/history. Wee man aks after 'Dad, why are Rangers fans so horrible?' at 7, even he picked up on it.

wookie70
25-04-2017, 12:26 PM

Exactly where I am. Society, or at least most of it, has grown out of it, as have Hibs. The world seems to have changed dramatically but the British Bulldog mentality is alive and well in Govan. Celtic and their supporters have came a long way too but are not there yet and it was far more ingrained than it ever was in the Hibs support. Hibs fans have even got the part of our support who sang about paedophiles and refugees to pretty much stop too which shows it is about self policing, that is why it won't stop in Govan.

Hibrandenburg
25-04-2017, 04:45 PM
They are either bigoted towards me or they are not. Not a 'different bigotry'. If they are very friendly and indeed one in L.A. was my best mate and one in Paris my best mate then there was no bigotry. Not even a different kind of bigotry.

And it's actually nothing like saying the Nazis were ok.

So if you went into a Ku Klux Klan bar and got served it would mean they're not racist? Your logic is flawed.

calumhibee1
25-04-2017, 04:56 PM
If you look at how this thread started it's the usual story. The Huns do something beyond the pale, rightly get called out for it and then about 2 posts in somebody or other chimes in with "yeah, but Celtc are just as bad, blah blah" and on it goes.

My guess is that we always do this because there is a section of our support that's super touchy about being seen as "mini-Tims" and thus can't let any criticism of the Huns pass without ramming it down everyone's throats that they're 2 cheeks of the same arse etc etc.

Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of objectionable Celtc fans and the Irish republican stuff is pretty tedious (although I would say diminishing). But to say they're as bad as the Huns is just laughable. To take one simple example, could you really see Celtc fans doing what the Huns did in Manchester?

This is how I see it. Rangers are absolute **** of the earth. Celtic are nowhere near as bad, and I'd imagine that fans of nearly every club, excluding Rangers and the mini huns down the road, would say the same thing. Celtic have an unsavoury element, no doubt about it, but Rangers are 10 times worse. If fans of other clubs want to call me a mini Tim because of that then go ahead.