PDA

View Full Version : Views on Lennon

houstonhibbee
22-04-2017, 11:57 PM
Now that we have won the Championship and bowed out in unfortunate circumstances at the penultimate stage of the Scottish Cup what are folks views on our manager?

I for one was not convinced that he had the tactical acumen to make us successful however all things considered and taking into account his obvious desire, ambition and hurt at todays first 30 minute showing I feel in no doubt that he is the right man and feel very excited about next season with him at the helm. if he can convince the players they can be second or even put up a challenge to Celtic then its only the fans that need convinced:greengrin

The fact we will have record season ticket sales s a great start! Long may it continue.

IberianHibernian
23-04-2017, 12:09 AM
With a much weaker squad than last season we have achieved main goal of promotion and weren`t far off making cup final again . Some question marks about why we had a weaker squad ( did Lennon really think Holt and Graham were best we could afford as strikers in August ? and why didn`t we strengthen squad more in January ? ) . Our season finishes on 6th May and next season will start on 15th July with League Cup group match so time for players to get a long break and be ready for League Cup opener and also time for a good pre season to introduce new signings . Hopefully Lennon will find 3 or 4 players to really lift the level of the team ( or Lennon will be happy with signings made by our recruitment staff since I doubt manager has much say in signings ) .

we are hibs
23-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Not convinced. The standard of football needs to be significantly better next season or we will be down the bottom trying to scrap away from the play offs

Wilson
23-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Not convinced. The standard of football needs to be significantly better next season or we will be down the bottom trying to scrap away from the play offs

Some of us are hibs. I'm not so sure about you.

andy1875
23-04-2017, 09:15 AM
To win the cup, you generally need a slice of luck/fate along the way.

Last season, we brought big Conrad in for a debut in the semi. We should have arguably lost that game considering they missed/Conrad saved a few chances. Not to mention the lottery of winning on penalties which can obviously go either way.

Fast forward to yesterday. We had no luck at all for 90 minutes, it happens, thats football.

But this season was ALL about promotion. We've achieved that and I for one have loved this past year or so being a Hibby. Really good times. The support yesterday was immense.

We regroup this summer and we go again.

GGTTH

RoscoHibby
23-04-2017, 09:16 AM

Have you watched any of the SPL this season? Crazy statement. We'll be back in about with, potentially the 3rd biggest playing budget, have cuffed most 'league above' teams we've played as well and have great momentum and buzz about the club. Factor in Lennon having full pre-season and to bring in new players, teams not coming to ER to just defend for their lives...I can really see where you're going with this....😳

Onion
23-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Lennon is a step up from most of the numpties we've suffered under Petrie's selection process (Hughes, Fenlon, Calderdud, Butcher), so any criticism of Lennon need to be made in that context.

Lennon is driven, has en eye for a loan player, is decisive, builds his teams from the back and is passionate.

Question Marks for me are his ability to change a game (yesterday excluded), substitutions, summer signings, and some of his starting lineups.

As things stand, he's as good a manager as Hibs could expect but his summer signings will determine just how good he is. Any better, and we'd been struggling to keep the vultures at bay. Hopefully we can keep him another 2 or 3 years.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 09:19 AM
He's not done anything to convince me that he's as good as some people on here make out.

A big factor in us winning the league is the fact that the other teams have picked up a lot less points than previous seasons.

His signings have been poor to average, Marciano probably being the only major success out his signings from the summer. Commons and Ambrose worked out well but for me Holt, Graham, Shinnie and Humphrey have not offered enough.

He's not got nearly as much out of McGinn as Stubbs did and he inexplicably dropped our only goalscorer for nearly two months.

People keep saying he's brought a winning mentality into the team, and while you can possibly argue that seeing as we've won the league, we would have won it under Stubbs IMO and on a game by game basis he's won a lot less than Alan Stubbs did and will most likely end up with less points than we did under Stubbs. We don't have Hearts and Rangers, or just Rangers to contend with 4 times this season, so I reckon to have picked up less points than the previous two seasons is very poor.

I think people are drawn in by the fact he's a lot more critical of the team in public than Alan Stubbs was and think that he is a lot less accepting of poor performances, but to me, I very much doubt Stubbs would have accepted the majority of performances this season, he just wouldn't have blasted the players over and over again in public.

In summary, yes we've won the league, he's done the minimum expected of him and we had a decent defence of the cup, but I've enjoyed this season - derby aside - a lot less than last season under Stubbs (and that's not including winning the Holy Grail).

Happy enough for him to carry on, wouldn't really bat an eyelid if he moved on and if I was offered Alan Stubbs back for next season I'd take him.

Baldy Foghorn
23-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Love him, winner's mentality

superfurryhibby
23-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Like Lennon a lot, he comes across as a decent and passionate guy. However, he has shown that he needs to screw the nut abit in terms of his conduct and I feel, like others have highlighted, a bit uncomfortable by his willingness to criticise the players, yet never take responsibility for his own tactical failings etc.

Lennon is no longer a young and inexperienced manager. He's been tested at Hibs and has shown he still has a lot of development to be doing. Next season, he needs to sign the right players and ensure that we improve. He has a firm foundation to build on and I reckon 2017-18 ais the acid test of his capabilities as a manager. Can he get the most from what he has and add a wee bit more with what he has to offer. I really hope so, but I'm yet to be fully convinced.

J-C
23-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Winning mentality but im still to be convinced by his management skills. His signings have proved to be poor, except the 2 emergency loan deals and his tactics are debatable. The fact that we struggled again in the league is a big question mark, yes we won the league but the large amount of draws and some of the dire football on display haven't helped. We'll see who he brings in and how we play next season when it really matters, so far it's 7 out of 10 with room for improvement.

Pretty Boy
23-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Jury is still out for me and I think around Christmas will be when we can really judge him.

The football has been pretty grim this season but it has been ultimately effective and with a bit breathing space into the bargain. He's certainly struggled to break down teams that sit in in much the same way Stubbs did before him. In saying that he's shown we can play decent stuff when we get a bit space with Hearts, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen being good examples.

I think yesterdays match sums up my conflict with Lennon in 90 minutes. I like the fact that he realised it wasn't working and made a big call to change it. I like the fact he wasn't for pats on the back and the plucky losers tag. I balance that with the fact he got it very wrong to start with and to dismiss tactics was a bit of a cop out. No doubt individual errors costs us but we were under all sorts of pressure because his decision to have no out ball up top meant Aberdeen could push 30 yards up the park and press us into mistakes.

It will certainly be an interesting summer and I reckon we will see a few changes to the squad. If Lennon can really put his mark on the side it could be a chance to build something good. He needs the right players in and I hope it's done early so we can hit the ground running in the LC and gel a team for the league season. Top 5 should be the aim imo and I'm certain Lennon will be aiming for at least that.

Bob1875
A lot of our previous managers wouldn't have made such a big sub so early on and basically admit their mistake. This speaks volumes.

WhileTheChief..
Absolutely love the man.

It's been said many times on here but he has single handedly changed the mentality of our club, something that was long overdue.

I think we have some very average players in our squad and I've no doubt that Lennon has brought the best out of them.

I don't think we would have gained nearly as many points without him at the helm and I look forward to seeing what changes he makes in the summer. Next season is going to be a belter.

I've never felt so optimistic about the future as I do now. Neil Lennon is a huge factor in that.

Hope he stays for many more years.

Allant1981
23-04-2017, 09:34 AM
he was brought in to win the league, he has done it, yes some games have been dire but lets not forget, we were garbage in a lot of games under stubbs as well but because he won us the cup all if that is forgotten, he will know what needs improved on for next season and has already signed another modfielder, one who can score goals, his signings have been ok, marciano is better than oxley, ambrose arguably better than most of our CH's, shinnie is a good player and has most assists in the team(may be wrong) holt was brought in and yes hasnt scored as many goals as we would have thought but his link up play is better than any other striker/forward we have. Graham is not the best but cant get them all right. Think next season we will see a vast improvement

hibee_girl
23-04-2017, 09:37 AM
I'll admit I wasn't overly keen on him becoming our manager but he's won me over. He did what he had to go, get us promoted as champions.

I think next season will really be the time to judge him though, this season we've had to play ugly sometimes to win. Whether or not that's the style Lennon will go with next season we'll have to wait and see.

What I do love about Lennon is how he sticks up for our club, he defends us passionately and I think he just gets Hibs.

HFCdeb
23-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Love him and think there'll be a fair few Hibs fans eating their words when we're playing teams who aren't coming to ER purely to defend for 90 and hope for a draw.
I'm very excited about next season with him at the helm.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Absolutely love the man.

It's been said many times on here but he has single handedly changed the mentality of our club, something that was long overdue.

I think we have some very average players in our squad and I've no doubt that Lennon has brought the best out of them.

I don't think we would have gained nearly as many points without him at the helm and I look forward to seeing what changes he makes in the summer. Next season is going to be a belter.

I've never felt so optimistic about the future as I do now. Neil Lennon is a huge factor in that.

:confused:

The mentality of our club started changing with Stubbs and Dempster and there was a massive shift in our mentality when we won the Scottish Cup under Alan Stubbs. I'm not quite sure how Lennon can be attributed with changing the mentality of the club when it had been changed before he came in.

I also think that the fact we gathered more points the last two seasons, while having 8 games against Rangers and Hearts in the first season, and four games against Rangers last season, while Falkirk were also a lot stronger, and judging by their points total, possibly even stronger than we are this season, would suggest that we would have gained at least the same, if not many more points under Alan Stubbs.

But then that's just my opinion.

Shrekko
23-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Winning mentality but im still to be convinced by his management skills. His signings have proved to be poor, except the 2 emergency loan deals and his tactics are debatable. The fact that we struggled again in the league is a big question mark, yes we won the league but the large amount of draws and some of the dire football on display haven't helped. We'll see who he brings in and how we play next season when it really matters, so far it's 7 out of 10 with room for improvement.

Virtuallly every big game we have his 'tactics' seem spot on although never having been a coach I can't say why. I'm also not privvy, like every other fan as to exactly what is said in the dressing room.

We had a disastrous 30 minutes yesterday which was down to player errors but otherwise the team has done exactly what's needed of them when it mattered. The football we play against teams who park the bus is irrelevant- nobody looks great in those circumstances. The football we played v Brondby, Dundee United, Hearts, Falkirk and for most of yesterday was absolutely fine. Lennon is an excellent manager.

bingo70
23-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Change my mind on an almost weekly basis.

I think we've got the basis of a very good team but we need to add some pace, flair and creativity in there as well. The fact he's targeted Swanson so early is a positive sign although I hope and expect there's more to come.

Lago
23-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Love him, winner's mentality
I am with you, great to have him at ER.

RoYO!
23-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Absolutely love the man.

The second paragraph is just wrong imo. In saying that I don't agree with most of that! :)

wookie70
23-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Jury is still out for me and I think around Christmas will be when we can really judge him.

The football has been pretty grim this season but it has been ultimately effective and with a bit breathing space into the bargain. He's certainly struggled to break down teams that sit in in much the same way Stubbs did before him. In saying that he's shown we can play decent stuff when we get a bit space with Hearts, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen being good examples.

I think yesterdays match sums up my conflict with Lennon in 90 minutes. I like the fact that he realised it wasn't working and made a big call to change it. I like the fact he wasn't for pats on the back and the plucky losers tag. I balance that with the fact he got it very wrong to start with and to dismiss tactics was a bit of a cop out. No doubt individual errors costs us but we were under all sorts of pressure because his decision to have no out ball up top meant Aberdeen could push 30 yards up the park and press us into mistakes.

It will certainly be an interesting summer and I reckon we will see a few changes to the squad. If Lennon can really put his mark on the side it could be a chance to build something good. He needs the right players in and I hope it's done early so we can hit the ground running in the LC and gel a team for the league season. Top 5 should be the aim imo and I'm certain Lennon will be aiming for at least that.

That is where I am. For every positive I can see something that isn't as good. Yesterday was a 90 minute example of Lennon's tenure so far at ER.

What I don't get is why so many on here think he has instilled a winning mentality when Lennon himself repeatedly criticises the players about their soft centre, responsibility, boy band etc etc. He has had a season to sort out the mental weaknesses but he is still commenting on it every second game. He certainly doesn't think he has instilled that mentality although that is clearly his aim. There is a big difference talking about player's attitudes and abilities and being able to do something about it.

The first half hour yesterday was as poor as I have seen a Hibs team. I think it was to do with tactics, formation and preparation but even if it was only the player's soft centre then what has Lennon done to improve that apart from repeatedly criticise the players about it to no avail. We will finish the league on similar points as last year and we will have been worse in the cups. I think he is doing very slightly worse than Stubbs at present and that Stubbs was not doing enough in the League and was over performing in the Cups. Lennon has won the league with a poor points total and done well in the SC. I have a similar view on Lennon as a manager as I do with Stubbs but for completely different reasons. Both getting pass marks but nothing special, Stubbs does have a bit of history to take away from his failures though. Lennon is still here though and if what he says starts to happen then he may well end up one of the best Hibs managers of all time. At the moment it is more mouth than trousers.

BegbieHSC
23-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Lennon is very much part of the process of moving our club forward in to the future. Dempster start it by hiring Stubbs,

Lenny is an absolute winner, and is so ambitious for our club. What's not to love? Sure the football sometimes isn't the prettiest, but we've spent years playing decent football, and we've still ended up sitting in the lower half of the table/getting relegated. Results come first.

Stubbsy laid the foundation, and Lenny will help us reach the next level.

B.H.F.C
23-04-2017, 10:16 AM
He needs to sign better players this summer than he did last.

If he does that he could go on to be a really good manager for us. We need to improve.

Captain Trips
23-04-2017, 10:19 AM
He has done ok, I do not think this season with the other teams in this league I would have thought most competent mangers would have managed to promote us.

I think NL may come more into his own in SPL so looking forward to that.

Dashing Bob S
23-04-2017, 10:26 AM
That is where I am. For every positive I can see something that isn't as good. Yesterday was a 90 minute example of Lennon's tenure so far at ER.

What I don't get is why so many on here think he has instilled a winning mentality when Lennon himself repeatedly criticises the players about their soft centre, responsibility, boy band etc etc. He has had a season to sort out the mental weaknesses but he is still commenting on it every second game. He certainly doesn't think he has instilled that mentality although that is clearly his aim. There is a big difference talking about player's attitudes and abilities and being able to do something about it.

The first half hour yesterday was as poor as I have seen a Hibs team. I think it was to do with tactics, formation and preparation but even if it was only the player's soft centre then what has Lennon done to improve that apart from repeatedly criticise the players about it to no avail. We will finish the league on similar points as last year and we will have been worse in the cups. I think he is doing very slightly worse than Stubbs at present and that Stubbs was not doing enough in the League and was over performing in the Cups. Lennon has won the league with a poor points total and done well in the SC. I have a similar view on Lennon as a manager as I do with Stubbs but for completely different reasons. Both getting pass marks but nothing special, Stubbs does have a bit of history to take away from his failures though. Lennon is still here though and if what he says starts to happen then he may well end up one of the best Hibs managers of all time. At the moment it is more mouth than trousers.

I'd question to what extent any manager can do that.

23-04-2017, 10:33 AM
I like Lennons attitude. An absolute winner, will never ever accept being second best. We need that kind of character IMO. For too long we were a soft touch, nicey nicey. A man like Lennon drills in a bit of grit, bit of toughness. Some will love that, others will hate that but he's exactly the sort of guy you want on your side.

chrisski33
23-04-2017, 10:36 AM
He's not done anything to convince me that he's as good as some people on here make out.

A big factor in us winning the league is the fact that the other teams have picked up a lot less points than previous seasons.

His signings have been poor to average, Marciano probably being the only major success out his signings from the summer. Commons and Ambrose worked out well but for me Holt, Graham, Shinnie and Humphrey have not offered enough.

He's not got nearly as much out of McGinn as Stubbs did and he inexplicably dropped our only goalscorer for nearly two months.

People keep saying he's brought a winning mentality into the team, and while you can possibly argue that seeing as we've won the league, we would have won it under Stubbs IMO and on a game by game basis he's won a lot less than Alan Stubbs did and will most likely end up with less points than we did under Stubbs. We don't have Hearts and Rangers, or just Rangers to contend with 4 times this season, so I reckon to have picked up less points than the previous two seasons is very poor.

I think people are drawn in by the fact he's a lot more critical of the team in public than Alan Stubbs was and think that he is a lot less accepting of poor performances, but to me, I very much doubt Stubbs would have accepted the majority of performances this season, he just wouldn't have blasted the players over and over again in public.

In summary, yes we've won the league, he's done the minimum expected of him and we had a decent defence of the cup, but I've enjoyed this season - derby aside - a lot less than last season under Stubbs (and that's not including winning the Holy Grail).

Happy enough for him to carry on, wouldn't really bat an eyelid if he moved on and if I was offered Alan Stubbs back for next season I'd take him.

Sorry Stubbs failed to get us promoted twice and Lennon had done so at first time of asking. I think we will do better next season under Lennon and better in the spl than we would have under stubbs.

chrisski33
23-04-2017, 10:37 AM
I like Lennons attitude. An absolute winner, will never ever accept being second best. We need that kind of character IMO. For too long we were a soft touch, nicey nicey. A man like Lennon drills in a bit of grit, bit of toughness. Some will love that, others will hate that but he's exactly the sort of guy you want on your side.

Hear hear!

HibbyDave
23-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Winner. FACT.

anon1875
23-04-2017, 10:43 AM
A lot of our previous managers wouldn't have made such a big sub so early on and basically admit their mistake. This speaks volumes.
this

Borderhibbie76
23-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Bye then 👋👋

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Allant1981
23-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Sorry Stubbs failed to get us promoted twice and Lennon had done so at first time of asking. I think we will do better next season under Lennon and better in the spl than we would have under stubbs.

exactly, people keep going on about rangers being in the league but that was one of the worst rangers sides anyone has seen and we still couldnt finish above them, and then we couldnt get past falkirk in the play offs, yes stubbs won us the cup but failed in the league, lennon has done it at first time of asking

hibs#1
23-04-2017, 10:49 AM
People that argue that sometimes he has winning ugly.isn't that what Alot of fans have cried out for years?winnings what matters at the end of the day sometimes we will win playing great football(utd game etc.)and other times we will have to grind out boring 1-0 wins.I like the fact we can do a bit of both at times.especially as the squad is a work in progress.

Borderhibbie76
23-04-2017, 10:52 AM
exactly, people keep going on about rangers being in the league but that was one of the worst rangers sides anyone has seen and we still couldnt finish above them, and then we couldnt get past falkirk in the play offs, yes stubbs won us the cup but failed in the league, lennon has done it at first time of asking
Couldn't agree more Stubbs will always rightly be a legend for winning the cup but come on he failed miserably twice to get us promoted. 1st season down that Rangers were every bit as weak and poor as Dundee Utd have been this season. And we lost to them in play offs. Last season we couldn't even finish above Falkirk with a team that contained Stokes and Hendo. Then we lost to them in play offs. Stubbs bottled it and left as he clearly didn't fancy a 3rd crack at trying to get us up....I love the big man but he made a poor decision last season and now has no job as a consequence of that poor decision. There is no guarantee Stubbs would have got us up this season...his poor record against the likes of Falkirk, Dumbarton and Alloa in his 2 seasons in charge are proof of that. Lennon has done the job...at his first time of asking

Since90+2
23-04-2017, 10:52 AM
His comments about the usual boyband and players not taking responsibility ect are out of order IMO.

This current Hibs team give everyone for the club and they deserve better than to be publicity slated by their manager after a narrow cup defeat.

HFCdeb
23-04-2017, 10:59 AM

Precisely this. 9 months is a very short time to change the entire psychology of any group of people. As it stands, though, there are big signs that he's done just that. We've managed to gain promotion, for a start.

guthrie01
23-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Laughing at all this "winners attitude" nonsense. We are scraping by with a 50% win rate in the Championship and only looked like winning it due to the other teams being utter dross and not pushing us enough. We could finish with less points than last season and people still think we have improved :confused:

I'm content for him to stay next season but if we could get Stubbs or Alex Neil I would absolutely take them over Lennon.

Betty Boop
23-04-2017, 11:03 AM
His comments about the usual boyband and players not taking responsibility ect are out of order IMO.

This current Hibs team give everyone for the club and they deserve better than to be publicity slated by their manager after a narrow cup defeat.
This thought his comments were very harsh.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Next season will be the time to judge him. Although Stubbs failed twice, with no Hearts or Rangers this year, we would have needed to be horrendously bad not to have won the Championship this year.

We are now in a league that we should be in and we should be aiming for the top 4 (I don't buy this top 6 target).

I am happy that he wasn't pleased with the opening 30 minutes of yesterday's game because it was embarrassing but at least he had the proactive approach to change it early.

I will reserve judgement until we have played a significant part of next season. We need improvements to the squad and it will be interesting to see who is brought in over the season.

Jury is still considering its verdict for me.

Pedantic_Hibee
23-04-2017, 11:07 AM
I think that WE are lucky to have him. And with the support that's been shown the past three years or so, he is lucky to have us to.

I'm buzzing for next season.

G B Young
23-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Put it this way, who could we get that's better?

I was very excited when we landed Lennon. At first I didn't think that talk of him coming to Hibs was anything more than speculation because there's no question he's a 'big time' appointment having only recently enjoyed a successful few years as Celtic boss. I thought he was exactly the sort of guy we needed to get us out of the Championship.

With a lesser overall calibre of player to work with than he had in Glasgow I think he's still learning as a manager but will only be the stronger for it and I am quietly confident he can do well with Hibs in the top flight. On the evidence of our cup record against a number of the supposed 'top' teams in recent seasons we have nothing to fear next term and I don't think there's any question we'll kick off in August with a significantly stronger squad than the one we have at present.

No, the football's been far from pretty on too many occasions this season but in the end we've won the league comfortably and while some will quibble about how many draws we had the big difference is that we didn't lose any of those games. That, I think, is down to Lennon who has instilled a stronger mentality along the lines of 'if you're not playing well enough to win then make sure you don't lose.' Had we lost, say, three or four of those drawn games, the league would have been a lot tighter and there's no question that in recent seasons we would more than likely have lost several of those games. Draws can be frustrating but nothing like as dispiriting as a defeat and I thank Lennon that on only three occasions in the league this season has my mood been darkened by a defeat!

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-04-2017, 11:13 AM
Not sure what his contract is? Was it two with a year option? Anyway, the first target of winning the league is achieved. I would suggest that for next season a top six place would be a reasonable target. There is nothing to suggest that there is
a gap between the expectations of LD and NL and he will be given the tools to do the job. As he has never been in charge of us in the SPL I can't know for certain if he is the right man but he has my vote.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Not sure what his contract is? Was it two with a year option? Anyway, the first target of winning the league is achieved. I would suggest that for next season a top six place would be a reasonable target. There is nothing to suggest that there is no gap between the expectations of LD and NL and he will be given the tools to do the job. As he has never been in charge of us in the SPL I can't know for certain if he is the right man but he has my vote.

He signed a 2 year deal.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Laughing at all this "winners attitude" nonsense. We are scraping by with a 50% win rate in the Championship and only looked like winning it due to the other teams being utter dross and not pushing us enough. We could finish with less points than last season and people still think we have improved :confused:

I'm content for him to stay next season but if we could get Stubbs or Alex Neil I would absolutely take them over Lennon.

Exactly. He's won us the league, not because we're better than last season, but because the other teams are worse. Yes, the gap between us and the likes of Falkirk has widened but that's because Falkirk are likely to pick up about 10 points less than they did last season, not because we've improved. We picked up more points in a much better league last season and the idea that you can claim we've got a winners mentality by winning 50% of our games in the 2nd tier with the 4th/5th biggest budget in the country just doesn't really make sense to me. Alan Stubbs won us the biggest prize we can ever realistically hope to win ever again, that's installing a winning mentality. Not winning the 2nd tier with a 50% win ratio due to other teams being significantly worse than previous seasons.

wookie70
23-04-2017, 11:38 AM

I tend to agree but most on here seem to think he has done it already and Lennon himself never stops banging on about it. From what I can see there was a huge lift in our "mentality" under Stubbs. I would argue he just signed better players and we got more confident because we were winning more often albeit against poorer opponents..

Stubbs couldn't work out how to break down packed defences neither has Lennon. Lennon has came in and he has went for let's make sure we don't get beat and let's play it long to much the same end as Stubbs let's keep the ball and play some football often to little effect. Stubbs won more games and Lennon has drawn more and lost less. Not much in it for me in terms of who is the better manager and I think the best approach is probably somewhere in the middle with a manager who praises when its needed and chasticed when he thinks it will get a positive result. A manager who can mix the style to suit the opponent but also has a good eye for a player.

ALF TUPPER
23-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Lenny. Top man. Great having him at ER.

Peevemor
23-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Exactly. He's won us the league, not because we're better than last season, but because the other teams are worse. Yes, the gap between us and the likes of Falkirk has widened but that's because Falkirk are likely to pick up about 10 points less than they did last season, not because we've improved. We picked up more points in a much better league last season and the idea that you can claim we've got a winners mentality by winning 50% of our games in the 2nd tier with the 4th/5th biggest budget in the country just doesn't really make sense to me. Alan Stubbs won us the biggest prize we can ever realistically hope to win ever again, that's installing a winning mentality. Not winning the 2nd tier with a 50% win ratio due to other teams being significantly worse than previous seasons.
Maybe Falkirk will have 10 points less this season because the other teams are better?

For me Lennon's shown enough to convince me that he's the right man to take us forward.

His man management looks spot on. He's more flexible tactically than Stubbs. Sometimes our tactics don't work, but that's the same for everyone - other teams have tactics too.

And the winning mentality thing counts for everything. It'd be easy to take the foot off the pedal now that the league is won and we're out the cup, but that's obviously not Lennon's mindset. He wants 100% from the players every minute they're on the pitch. He appears to be able to make allowances for players who are tiring or carrying an injury, but pounces on any lack of concentration or application. This is spot on and hugely important IMO.

Tamhere1875
23-04-2017, 11:46 AM
The guys a winner

Borderhibbie76
23-04-2017, 11:51 AM
U don't like him much do u mate?? Stubbs was arguably a cup final win away from getting his jotters last season...he clearly never wanted to hang around for a 3rd crack at getting us up. Personally I love the big man but he wasn't without his flaws and I don't think it's certain he would have got us up this year - he clearly didn't either. IMO he should have stayed till he got us up but he bottled it and ran to Rotherham.

Lennon has got us up with a weaker squad...yes no huns this year but the championship has been more competitive this year than the last 2 - that's why Falkirk have less points etc. Anyway I don't care how many points we end up with we r up - something stubbs failed at twice

chrisski33
23-04-2017, 11:51 AM
This thought his comments were very harsh.

Aye lets not blame the players eh? The two goals we lost were down to the players.
The fact weve got promoted and folk still wanna moan about iur manager? Jeez some folk are never happy. Dont Hibs would have got promoted if wasnt for Lennon and dont think we would have got a better manager comparing last season to now is pointless as some are. We are promoted time ro look forward and im certain Lennon will prosper with Hibs next season GGTTH!

chrisski33
23-04-2017, 11:53 AM

That was last season. Stubbs still failed to get us promoted- FACT!

Borderhibbie76
23-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Aye lets not blame the players eh? The two goals we lost were down to the players.
The fact weve got promoted and folk still wanna moan about iur manager? Jeez some folk are never happy. Dont Hibs would have got promoted if wasnt for Lennon and dont think we would have got a better manager comparing last season to now is pointless as some are. We are promoted time ro look forward and im certain Lennon will prosper with Hibs next season GGTTH!
Exactly mate this points total argument is fruitless...lennon got us up as champions and stubbs failed twice...end of argument imo

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2017, 11:54 AM
We will see just how much a winner he is next season.

I love virtually everything he says, because its mostly what we are all thinking, but he's hardly made us better although did get us up which is great.

He will be judged properly next season, i hope he succeeds and he has us punching our weight.

SlickShoes
23-04-2017, 11:57 AM

You can only win the league you are in, there is little point co paring it to previous seasons. Even in those previous seasons our record against hearts and rangers were good and they weren't the reason we didn't get promoted it was against the lesser teams that you give Lennon no credit for winning a league full of them.

We finished third last year behind Falkirk, we barely strengthened the squad at all and we have won the league with weeks to spare.

You don't have to love the manager but he's made us hard to beat and got the job done something Alan Stubbs could not achieve in two seasons.

Lennon is a good manager and hopefully he can bring in some better players this summer as my main issue is hat his recruitment hasn't been great at all, to me it looked like a very restricted budget he was working with so that hopefully changes a bit this summer.

The standard in the SPL outwith the top few is no different from most of the teams in the championship.

Allant1981
23-04-2017, 11:58 AM

sorry but your posts are getting worse

HFCdeb
23-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Maybe Falkirk will have 10 points less this season because the other teams are better?

For me Lennon's shown enough to convince me that he's the right man to take us forward.

His man management looks spot on. He's more flexible tactically than Stubbs. Sometimes our tactics don't work, but that's the same for everyone - other teams have tactics too.

And the winning mentality thing counts for everything. It'd be easy to take the foot off the pedal now that the league is won and we're out the cup, but that's obviously not Lennon's mindset. He wants 100% from the players every minute they're on the pitch. He appears to be able to make allowances for players who are tiring or carrying an injury, but pounces on any lack of concentration or application. This is spot on and hugely important IMO.

Have Hibs not taken precisely 10 points from Falkirk this season?

Joe6-2
23-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Now that we have won the Championship and bowed out in unfortunate circumstances at the penultimate stage of the Scottish Cup what are folks views on our manager?

I for one was not convinced that he had the tactical acumen to make us successful however all things considered and taking into account his obvious desire, ambition and hurt at todays first 30 minute showing I feel in no doubt that he is the right man and feel very excited about next season with him at the helm. if he can convince the players they can be second or even put up a challenge to Celtic then its only the fans that need convinced:greengrin

The fact we will have record season ticket sales s a great start! Long may it continue.

I don't think we really could have or get anyone as good, think he will prove to be a great manager for us!

cmcd
23-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Virtuallly every big game we have his 'tactics' seem spot on although never having been a coach I can't say why. I'm also not privvy, like every other fan as to exactly what is said in the dressing room.

We had a disastrous 30 minutes yesterday which was down to player errors but otherwise the team has done exactly what's needed of them when it mattered. The football we play against teams who park the bus is irrelevant- nobody looks great in those circumstances. The football we played v Brondby, Dundee United, Hearts, Falkirk and for most of yesterday was absolutely fine. Lennon is an excellent manager.
Couldn't have put it any better myself . Ok Stubbs side played some nice football but where did it get us in the league . NL will now be judged on what we do in the league next season.Lrts get behind him and see where he takes us

guthrie01
U don't like him much do u mate?? Stubbs was arguably a cup final win away from getting his jotters last season...he clearly never wanted to hang around for a 3rd crack at getting us up. Personally I love the big man but he wasn't without his flaws and I don't think it's certain he would have got us up this year - he clearly didn't either. IMO he should have stayed till he got us up but he bottled it and ran to Rotherham.

Lennon has got us up with a weaker squad...yes no huns this year but the championship has been more competitive this year than the last 2 - that's why Falkirk have less points etc. Anyway I don't care how many points we end up with we r up - something stubbs failed at twice

You say Stubbs was 1 game away from getting the sack but he was also a game away from winning a cup double which would be one of the biggest achievements in our history. Stubbs had a winning mentality which people seem to want to ignore.

I thought this thread was about being allowed to post our opinions and rate our manager. Everytime someone posts something even remotely negatively about Lennon people jump at the chance to slate them.
i like Lennon as a person and was delighted when he was apppoonted thinking we would win a lot more games than Stubbs and bring in more quality signings. He has only won us this the league nothing else. And this league is undeniably worse, been to every home game and most away, apart from a handful of games not once did I think the teams where that great.

The other teams aren't worse than last season. Consider the fact that Ayr currently have 35 points already which would have kept them up and out of the playoffs last year.

Nitten Hibee
23-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Wasn't sure about Lennon, love the guy now

PolmontHibby
23-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Pass mark from me, but not exceeded expectations.
C+

We were favourites for the league this season (for the first time) and met expectations which is fine.
However compared to previous two seasons points total has not really improved and goals scored if anything worse.

Borderhibbie76
23-04-2017, 12:24 PM
You say Stubbs was 1 game away from getting the sack but he was also a game away from winning a cup double which would be one of the biggest achievements in our history. Stubbs had a winning mentality which people seem to want to ignore.

I thought this thread was about being allowed to post our opinions and rate our manager. Everytime someone posts something even remotely negatively about Lennon people jump at the chance to slate them.
i like Lennon as a person and was delighted when he was apppoonted thinking we would win a lot more games than Stubbs and bring in more quality signings. He has only won us this the league nothing else. And this league is undeniably worse, been to every home game and most away, apart from a handful of games not once did I think the teams where that great.
Not once did I say I didn't like Stubbsy but some on here view his time with rose tinted specs...we were just as woeful in many a championship games under Stubbsy...alloa defeats away twice, Dumbarton defeats away twice, because of the cup win a lot of posters on here conveniently forget that. We weren't playing like Brazil every week under Stubbsy that's for sure...and like you I've been to 90% of our matches the last 3 seasons. As I've said both good managers we are/were lucky to have, but neither without a flaw or 2

Eyrie
23-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Undecided.

Lennon got us promoted, but given the standard of opposition this year and the boost to our budget following the Scottish Cup win, surely that was the bare minimum to be expected of a half-decent manager. There have been far too many draws and not enough good performances which makes Lennon a "don't lose" rather than a "winner".

Some of his public comments have been fair enough, but at other times he's been trying to distract us by blaming officials when we've played badly or criticising players when it has been his tactics that were wrong. Great when it works (eg the Hearts replay), mind you.

I want to see a better standard of signing for next season. Marciano and Laidlaw have been good but Shinnie was inconsistent whilst Holt disappointed, Graham was anonymous and Humphrey faded after one good game before getting injured. Lennon did use his connections to bring in Ambrose however.

WhileTheChief..
23-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Top 4 and a semi final or 2 will do for me next season.

Stevie Reid
23-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Love the guy. Has the potential to be a great Hibs manager, and totally gets the club.

It concerns me how many people say they are unconvinced by him.

Lago
23-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Hibs fans are strange aren't they, and I suppose fans of other teams are as well, but back to Hibs, I watch Hibs & I have opinions as to how they play, good or bad, however I am no coach or tactician, 3 at the back, flat back 4, midfield diamond how would I set up the team, well I wouldn't know how I am only a fan and I suspect most of the key board managers on here fall into the same category. So all I would say is in no way would I blame Lennon for the first 20 to 30 mins of armature football I watched yesterday, profressional footballers trying to dribble through half the Dons team followed by miss placed pass after miss placed pass, as to the 2nd goal lets consign that to history, I'm sure it will be used in coaching videos for years to come in how not to set up & maintain a wall or defend the near post.
My final thoughts, for weeks I have read on here that the big huddy Holt shouldn't be near a Hibs jersey, but wait, the cry today, why did Holt not start?
Again I'm told Lennon has only been successful because he inherited Stubbs team, a great team it won the cup, having now been beaten its Lennon's team, he should have known it had weaknesses, after all it wasn't good enough to get Hibs promoted last season.
I like Lennon, I am looking forward to him building his own team for next season, get ready to say good bye to some well kent faces & welcome new ones. At the end of the day I will continue to support Hibs as I have done for40+ years enjoying the good days & despairing of the bad, but I will never think I know better than the Hibs manager.

bingo70
23-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Love the guy. Has the potential to be a great Hibs manager, and totally gets the club.

It concerns me how many people say they are unconvinced by him.

It's not that hard to understand, we've drawn 13 games and scored nowhere near enough goals so have been very dull to watch for long spells.

Nobody is asking for him to be sacked but I understand the concerns about next season when we'll be up against better opposition.

Stevie Reid
23-04-2017, 01:08 PM
It's not that hard to understand, we've drawn 13 games and scored nowhere near enough goals so have been very dull to watch for long spells.

Nobody is asking for him to be sacked but I understand the concerns about next season when we'll be up against better opposition.

Why should people be concerned about us facing better opposition next season when we destroyed Hearts and outplayed the second best team in the country yesterday?

I can't wait for next season. We'll bring in quality and be much more attacking.

Baldy Foghorn
23-04-2017, 01:31 PM

Nonsense opening sentence

we are hibs
23-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Some of us are hibs. I'm not so sure about you.

Why? Because I don't go with your opinion? Do you think we've been great this season? I don't. We've got the job done but will need a big big improvement next year or we will toil. Sorry I'm not as blinkered as you. Clown.

guthrie01
23-04-2017, 02:27 PM
Not once did I say I didn't like Stubbsy but some on here view his time with rose tinted specs...we were just as woeful in many a championship games under Stubbsy...alloa defeats away twice, Dumbarton defeats away twice, because of the cup win a lot of posters on here conveniently forget that. We weren't playing like Brazil every week under Stubbsy that's for sure...and like you I've been to 90% of our matches the last 3 seasons. As I've said both good managers we are/were lucky to have, but neither without a flaw or 2

Your point at the end is true enough, doubt we will ever get a perfect manger but Stubbs and Lennon have given us trophies which at the end of the day is all we ask for.
I have my doubts about Lennon but will wait and see what happens, hopefully he can lead us to more success and better football than this season.

Jack Hackett
23-04-2017, 02:29 PM
Regardless of whether or not you are convinced, he is here and now.

100% behind our manager until the day he isn't our manager. Hopefully some way off in the future.

JimBHibees
23-04-2017, 02:38 PM

You do realise the reason Falkirk have less points is our dominant record against them this season.

RamYer1902
23-04-2017, 02:44 PM

What a load of *****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wookie70
23-04-2017, 03:22 PM
You do realise the reason Falkirk have less points is our dominant record against them this season. That is the reason for having two less points. They got one this year from us and 3 the previous season. If they win their last two games they will still have 8 points less than last year.

Most of teams in the middle of the league are on about the same points as their equivalent last season. The big difference is less points by a margin for the top four and more points for the bottom two compared to last year particularly the bottom team. I think there is an argument to say the league has teams more evenly matched with Hibs a wee bit out in front. From what I have watched Falkirk are not as good as the last two years and Morton and Dundee Utd are nowhere near as good as The Rangers and Hearts in the first year and The Rangers last year. I would say the league is worse in quality this year and so are we but you can only beat, or draw, what is put in front of you. I appreciate there is a case to be made the other way too and no real way of knowing.

Stevie Reid
23-04-2017, 03:30 PM
The only thing we needed to be this season was the best team in the Championship - not better than Hearts, Rangers, Falkirk or any other team were in previous seasons. We have done that comfortably. Nothing else matters.

I couldn't give a toot how much we end up winning by, but FWIW, if we win our game in hand on Wednesday, our lead will be 11 points - the same margin by which Rangers 'skooshed' the league last year.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 03:41 PM
The only thing we needed to be this season was the best team in the Championship - not better than Hearts, Rangers, Falkirk or any other team were in previous seasons. We have done that comfortably. Nothing else matters.

I couldn't give a toot how much we end up winning by, but FWIW, if we win our game in hand on Wednesday, our lead will be 11 points - the same margin by which Rangers 'skooshed' the league last year.

You're right, this season we did just have to be the best in this league, and we've achieved that. However next season we won't be the best team in the league, we probably if we are honest with ourselves won't be in the best 3 teams in the league. Therefore it's not a case of just being the best team in the league next season, it's a case of being as good as we possibly can be to finish as high as we can, and IMO we've regressed this season from the team we had last year. I've seen a few folk suggest the league is more even this year, maybe because the other teams at the bottom have improved, but I don't think anyone can seriously suggest that Falkirk are as good as they were last season, or that any of the teams, including ourselves this season, are as good as the huns were last year. That's where my reservations about Lennon come from, yes, we've won the league, but IMO we're not as good as a side as we were last season.

Also, I seen someone say I don't like Lennon. I realise my posts may actually seem like that, but generally I do actually quite like him and I'm happy enough going into next season with him as manager. I will say though that I'd have been more confident of going into the SPL had we gained promotion at the end of last season with the squad and manager we had and finishing in the top four than I am of going up this season and finishing in the top four with this squad and Neil Lennon. His summer signings may change that.

1875M
His only target was to win the league and we've done that. Not easy on the eye sometimes and everyone will have their own opinion about that. However, with our budget and resources, if we had not won the league I would have been the first one calling for his head. On top of this we've had a good defence of our cup run, including beating Hearts comfortably. In the 'big games', excluding the first 30 minutes yesterday, we've done well and that gives me confidence for next season. Let Lennon get the players he wants and I'll judge him this time next season. For me, with consideration to everything (facilities, budget, crowds), a top 4 finish and a decent cup run is a success.

truehibernian
He's really only used one window (and two emergency loans) so he's not even got to the stage of building his own side.

Remember he came in on the back of an unprecedented high at the club and to dismantle or radically overhaul the side would have been madness. But he did what he set out to do - get promotion.

I don't think we will see major restructuring of the squad, but I think he'll be in a far better and more comfortable position in the transfer market to add four or five real quality players. Would be no surprise to see Commons come in as a player coach for experience too.

It's been a real boom time for Hibs since relegation - a cup, a title, another final and semi finals, brilliant derby record, record crowds and season ticket holders, better marketing, better structure, strong off field leadership and two very good managers, fans and club reunited.

Lennon is exactly the right type of character (and has the SPL experience) to drive this progress forward next season.

When you contrast and compare to the eras of Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher we have made quite incredible strides in the right direction. Fans, players and staff deserve enormous credit. Lennon is an important part in that progress for me.

calumhibee1
sorry but your posts are getting worse

Why, because you don't agree with them? Seems reasonable.

jacomo
23-04-2017, 03:42 PM
He's done what he needed to do.

The two objectives for this season were promotion and making a decent defence of our Cup. We have done both.

Looking forward to next season. For me, we should be aiming for top 4 plus another cup run.

Stevie Reid
23-04-2017, 04:01 PM
You're right, this season we did just have to be the best in this league, and we've achieved that. However next season we won't be the best team in the league, we probably if we are honest with ourselves won't be in the best 3 teams in the league. Therefore it's not a case of just being the best team in the league next season, it's a case of being as good as we possibly can be to finish as high as we can, and IMO we've regressed this season from the team we had last year. I've seen a few folk suggest the league is more even this year, maybe because the other teams at the bottom have improved, but I don't think anyone can seriously suggest that Falkirk are as good as they were last season, or that any of the teams, including ourselves this season, are as good as the huns were last year. That's where my reservations about Lennon come from, yes, we've won the league, but IMO we're not as good as a side as we were last season.

Also, I seen someone say I don't like Lennon. I realise my posts may actually seem like that, but generally I do actually quite like him and I'm happy enough going into next season with him as manager. I will say though that I'd have been more confident of going into the SPL had we gained promotion at the end of last season with the squad and manager we had and finishing in the top four than I am of going up this season and finishing in the top four with this squad and Neil Lennon. His summer signings may change that.

Again, what does it matter if we are not better than Rangers were last year? I can see where you're coming from in much of your analysis, but speculating about the past and future is one thing, judging Hibs and Lennon on what we actually have done, is another thing entirely.

With Lennon's knowledge of the SPL and eye for a player - not to mention our performances against Brondby, Hearts (both types across the two games) and Aberdeen - I couldn't feel more confident about next season.

Allant1981
23-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Why, because you don't agree with them? Seems reasonable.

no because you wrong

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Again, what does it matter if we are not better than Rangers were last year? I can see where you're coming from in much of your analysis, but speculating about the past and future is one thing, judging Hibs and Lennon on what we actually have done, is another thing entirely.

With Lennon's knowledge of the SPL and eye for a player - not to mention our performances against Hearts (both types across the two games) and Aberdeen - I couldn't feel more confident about next season.

I'm more pointing out that the league IMO is not the standard it was last year and yet we've got less points, which would suggest we're not of the standard that we were last year either - to me anyway. That's my only issue with the way this season has went. I'm glad we've won the league and gained promotion, but I do worry that it's possibly papering over some cracks and that we're not as equipped to go up as we would have been this time last year based on our actual points total over the season, rather than our league placing. A team that wins the league with with 100 points is a great side (relative to the league they're playing in of course) if a team manages to win it with 55 they're probably not that great a side, just lucky that the rest of the league took enough points off each other to make that total enough. I realise they two totals are extremes, but our points total is nowhere near where it should be with the players and budget at our disposal and is the reason I'm not 100% convinced by him.

Johnny Clash
23-04-2017, 04:31 PM
I honestly think Neil Lennon will help us reach our full potential. Can't see any other manager being able to do that. He's got drive and passion that we need and is highly respected within the game. Otherwise we end up back in mediocrity fighting to stay in top 6 - which I really don't want to return to.

Hopefully he'll have a decent budget and build a strengthened squad. We may not be able to match Celtic's resources but on our day with a passionate support we can take them!

Stevie Reid
23-04-2017, 05:04 PM
I'm more pointing out that the league IMO is not the standard it was last year and yet we've got less points, which would suggest we're not of the standard that we were last year either - to me anyway. That's my only issue with the way this season has went. I'm glad we've won the league and gained promotion, but I do worry that it's possibly papering over some cracks and that we're not as equipped to go up as we would have been this time last year based on our actual points total over the season, rather than our league placing. A team that wins the league is with 100 points is a great side (relative to the league they're playing in of course) if a team manages to win it with 55 they're probably not that great a side, just lucky that the rest of the league took enough points off each other to make that total enough. I realise they two totals are extremes, but our points total is nowhere near where it should be with the players and budget at our disposal and is the reason I'm not 100% convinced by him.

What "should" our points total be? I know we've drawn a lot of games this year, but I haven't been worried at this season, even when Dundee United went two points above us on Boxing Day - I always felt we were going to get the job done, and how we did it, or how many points we won the league by, were by far secondary to actually winning it. I'm not going to complain about our points total or winning margin when winning a title, much like I wouldn't be bothered by the score line in a cup final, as long as we won it.

I see where you're coming from in that we've taken less points in what is on paper a weaker league, but it's how we move forward from here that matters, not how we compare to previous champions (though FWIW, St. Johnstone won the league with around 64 points when they went up in exactly the sort of circumstances you describe, team in second lost 12 games, IIRC and they haven't looked back since).

If we recruit the right players to augment the solid spine that we have to the team and add more creativity and goals, we could really excel. The mentality of the players and the fact that we hardly ever lose a game is a big plus also.

I am delighted we have Lennon, if someone had told me when he left Celtic at the end of the season in 2014 when we were relegated, that two seasons later he'd be our manager with us still in the Championship, I'd never have believed it (now I think of it, it probably seemed as unlikely as Brendan Rodgers becoming Celtic manager, given at that time he'd just missed out on winning the EPL by a whisker).

He has achieved a lot in football management and taken charge of Celtic in some huge games. His experience and mentality, not to mention the passion he has for the club, could really take us places IMO.

chrisski33
23-04-2017, 05:32 PM

We have done very well against spl teams in the cup and the players have stepped up to the mark then. I cant see why folk arent questioning the players for the draws weve had? Yeah lets be negative towards a manager whose done whats required and he will do better next season. We will be up there next season no doubt about it. I Think folk need reminding of past managers like calderwood, butcher, duffy to see how lucky we are having Lennon.

chrisski33
23-04-2017, 05:34 PM
I'm more pointing out that the league IMO is not the standard it was last year and yet we've got less points, which would suggest we're not of the standard that we were last year either - to me anyway. That's my only issue with the way this season has went. I'm glad we've won the league and gained promotion, but I do worry that it's possibly papering over some cracks and that we're not as equipped to go up as we would have been this time last year based on our actual points total over the season, rather than our league placing. A team that wins the league with with 100 points is a great side (relative to the league they're playing in of course) if a team manages to win it with 55 they're probably not that great a side, just lucky that the rest of the league took enough points off each other to make that total enough. I realise they two totals are extremes, but our points total is nowhere near where it should be with the players and budget at our disposal and is the reason I'm not 100% convinced by him.
What aload of tosh! Luckily we have a manager who knows more about football than u

Jack Hackett
23-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Not really getting this comparison with previous seasons. Circumstances are always different. Players, managers, referees... even the bloody weather... change. It's ALL ifs buts and maybes.

IF hertz hadn't cheated to blood their youngsters in the SPL and Hibs had had a proper team going into that first relegation season, WE might have been the team to skoosh it instead of them. We certainly finished the season stronger than them.

Forget this season, and last, and get behind the team... and manager... for next season

houstonhibbee
23-04-2017, 05:44 PM
I dont think we can expect our manager to be perfect otherwise he would be managing at a higher level. Yes Lennon has some faults but he is still young and as long as he doesn't keep repeating mistakes and leaRns from them he will keep getting better. The problem or conundrum Hibs have is trying to match ambition as a club with finances. If Lennon gets us to second in the next year or two what are chances we can afford to keep him?
I think youth policy and attracting young talent like Mcginn has to be the blueprint and hanging on to good young players a bit longer than in the past.

bingo70
23-04-2017, 05:52 PM
We have done very well against spl teams in the cup and the players have stepped up to the mark then. I cant see why folk arent questioning the players for the draws weve had? Yeah lets be negative towards a manager whose done whats required and he will do better next season. We will be up there next season no doubt about it. I Think folk need reminding of past managers like calderwood, butcher, duffy to see how lucky we are having Lennon.

I actually agree with you, my post was in response to the poster who said he couldn't understand the opposite point of view to his.

I'm leaning towards the same train of thought as you but I totally understand the other point of view as for large parts of the season it's how I felt.

IMO one of the problems with things like message boards is that everything seems so black and white, in this case you either like Lennon or you don't. I agree with a lot of what you say but our style of football, the lack of goals and how we've struggled in a lot of games does concern me and the fact we can raise our game for big matches goes some way to putting my mind at ease but it doesn't completely get rid of the other concerns that are perfectly natural after the season we've just had imo.

ancient hibee
23-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Lennon has managed a team that did reasonably well in the Champions League.The idea from some that he has to improve tactically is patronising rubbish.What he has to learn is the art of managing players who are not capable of playing at the level of players he manag d in the past.

chrisski33
23-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Not really getting this comparison with previous seasons. Circumstances are always different. Players, managers, referees... even the bloody weather... change. It's ALL ifs buts and maybes.

IF hertz hadn't cheated to blood their youngsters in the SPL and Hibs had had a proper team going into that first relegation season, WE might have been the team to skoosh it instead of them. We certainly finished the season stronger than them.

Forget this season, and last, and get behind the team... and manager... for next season

This! 👌👌👌👌🖒🖒🖒 GGTTH!

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 06:20 PM
What aload of tosh! Luckily we have a manager who knows more about football than u

Yawn. Is that really as constructive a reply as you can come up with? You're like a daft wee bairn, especially with the text speak. :rolleyes:

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 06:22 PM

I'm not really getting why we can't compare it? Going by your logic then we can't compare players, managers, teams, or anything for that matter when it comes to football? :confused:

SlickShoes
23-04-2017, 06:31 PM

We finished 3rd last year, we done well against Rangers and Falkirk and fell apart against the other teams. This year we lost 1 game to the other top four teams and only lost 2 to the entire rest of the league (so far). We have been ahead of everyone else since Christmas and the league was over in the second week of April.

That's progress, we have avoided the play offs and we have been better than everyone else in the league.

Malthibby
23-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Winner.
Let's buy into that.
4 season tickets next year (admittedly including bairn & auld yin, not because I'm enormouslt obese & need the room).
Want pretty footie - yup. Want to bully & fck the Jambos & anyone else - damn right. Lennon to produce team to do that - damn right.
GG

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 06:48 PM
We finished 3rd last year, we done well against Rangers and Falkirk and fell apart against the other teams. This year we lost 1 game to the other top four teams and only lost 2 to the entire rest of the league (so far). We have been ahead of everyone else since Christmas and the league was over in the second week of April.

That's progress, we have avoided the play offs and we have been better than everyone else in the league.

It's all about how you dress that up though. Yes, we have only lost 3 games this season, but we've also only won just over half our games. When you hear a team is looking likely to finish the season with 3 defeats you probably presume that they've won 26 or 27 and drew the other 6 or 7. We've only won 17. The fact we've only lost 3 is a bit misleading (I know it's correct before someone points it out) as to our actual performance in the league when it's not also mentioned that we've drawn 13 and only own 17.

Eyrie
23-04-2017, 07:14 PM
It's all about how you dress that up though. Yes, we have only lost 3 games this season, but we've also only won just over half our games. When you hear a team is looking likely to finish the season with 3 defeats you probably presume that they've won 26 or 27 and drew the other 6 or 7. We've only won 17. The fact we've only lost 3 is a bit misleading (I know it's correct before someone points it out) as to our actual performance in the league when it's not also mentioned that we've drawn 13 and only own 17.

Exactly. I'd be a lot happier with a couple more defeats and a couple more wins to replace four of those draws, let alone four wins to replace four draws.

As I said before, Lennon is a "don't lose" rather than a "winner" and you need to risk losing if you want to win.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Exactly. I'd be a lot happier with a couple more defeats and a couple more wins to replace four of those draws, let alone four wins to replace four draws.

As I said before, Lennon is a "don't lose" rather than a "winner" and you need to risk losing if you want to win.

Agree 100% with this, which is why I have some doubts (note, I said some) about us challenging the likes of Aberdeen and Rangers with him as manager. Aberdeen have won 17 of their last 20. With Lennons make sure we don't lose attitude we will never put together a run like that.

marleyhib
23-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Has delivered, not pretty to watch at times.

Happy to have him at the helm. He's made us really hard to beat hopefully he'll be able to improve the squad.

Love his passion and drive, he takes no prisoners Really looking forward to next season.

Seveno
23-04-2017, 07:58 PM
I think that a lot of teams in the Premier League will rightly be worried about having to face us next season.

That to me says it all about Neil Lennon.

Stevie Reid
23-04-2017, 08:08 PM

I don't believe for one second that Lennon is a cautious manager by nature. Yes, he definitely put out a 'don't lose' team at Tynecastle, but look at how he approached Dundee Utd at home in January when we beat them 3-0 to go four points clear (and when a draw wouldn't have been a bad result). Or the Hearts replay at ER.

He definitely got a bit more pragmatic as the league went on, but I think that was a combination of injuries to key players, and draws being enough for us as the prize drew nearer. Undoubtedly he can make a team defensively sound, and I'm happy for him to build from that - but I believe that we will be more expansive and creative way more often next season.

Of course, I may well be wrong. There's no doubt that the number of draws has surprised me, and it hasn't always been good to watch. Definitely take your point about winning more and losing more being better than all those draws - but not losing many games is a good habit to get in to.

truehibernian
23-04-2017, 08:17 PM
I don't believe for one second that Lennon is a cautious manager by nature. Yes, he definitely put out a 'don't lose' team at Tynecastle, but look at how he approached Dundee Utd at home in January when we beat them 3-0 to go four points clear (and when a draw wouldn't have been a bad result). Or the Hearts replay at ER.

He definitely got a bit more pragmatic as the league went on, but I think that was a combination of injuries to key players, and draws being enough for us as the prize drew nearer. Undoubtedly he can make a team defensively sound, and I'm happy for him to build from that - but I believe that we will be more expansive and creative way more often next season.

Of course, I may well be wrong. There's no doubt that the number of draws has surprised me, and it hasn't always been good to watch. Definitely take your point about winning more and losing more being better than all those draws - but not losing many games is a good habit to get in to.

Great post Stevie :aok:

You're bang on when factoring in (to the draws) red cards subsequently rescinded, and injuries to Hanlon, McGeouch and Humphrey.

It's a season that delivered what we all wanted - promotion.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 08:20 PM

If this comes to fruition next season then I'll be delighted and presuming we get results, I'll be delighted with Lennon as our manager. Until then though I'll remain a bit underwhelmed and feeling a bit "meh" after this season where the football has been nowhere near being expansive and creative. Fingers crossed he does go for it more next season, even if it does mean more defeats along with more victories!

makaveli1875
23-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Couldnt stand the guy when he was a player , had my reservations about him becoming our manager but he's won me over , people were saying he only won because he was at celtic well he's now won with hibs and i hope he stays and has us challenging for silverware again next season. im in the lenny fan club :greengrin

cmcd
23-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Hibs fans are strange aren't they, and I suppose fans of other teams are as well, but back to Hibs, I watch Hibs & I have opinions as to how they play, good or bad, however I am no coach or tactician, 3 at the back, flat back 4, midfield diamond how would I set up the team, well I wouldn't know how I am only a fan and I suspect most of the key board managers on here fall into the same category. So all I would say is in no way would I blame Lennon for the first 20 to 30 mins of armature football I watched yesterday, profressional footballers trying to dribble through half the Dons team followed by miss placed pass after miss placed pass, as to the 2nd goal lets consign that to history, I'm sure it will be used in coaching videos for years to come in how not to set up & maintain a wall or defend the near post.
My final thoughts, for weeks I have read on here that the big huddy Holt shouldn't be near a Hibs jersey, but wait, the cry today, why did Holt not start?
Again I'm told Lennon has only been successful because he inherited Stubbs team, a great team it won the cup, having now been beaten its Lennon's team, he should have known it had weaknesses, after all it wasn't good enough to get Hibs promoted last season.
I like Lennon, I am looking forward to him building his own team for next season, get ready to say good bye to some well kent faces & welcome new ones. At the end of the day I will continue to support Hibs as I have done for40+ years enjoying the good days & despairing of the bad, but I will never think I know better than the Hibs manager.

Well said Lago.Fans are a strange breed .The Holt situation has annoyed me . I have stood up for him all season when a number of others loved to post how bad he was. Now we have the same people saying he should get a new contract. Keyboard managers right enough . For what it's worth if think he should be given another year.

SlickShoes
23-04-2017, 08:41 PM

It's not dressing it up though, because we aren't losing games the other teams aren't gaining as many points in their attempts to catch us.

I don't think the performances have been as bad as folk make out in comparison to previous seasons, those seasons had plenty of real bad performances in them too.

We have lost 3 games and we have won the league, we needed more goals in the team but we haven't managed to bring anyone in that can do that I'm sure our manager is aware. The goal was just to get promoted and he's done it with most of the same players Alan Stubbs failed with last year. Like I said Rangers weren't the issue last year, it was the games against everyone else where we were undone.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 08:47 PM
It's not dressing it up though, because we aren't losing games the other teams aren't gaining as many points in their attempts to catch us.

I don't think the performances have been as bad as folk make out in comparison to previous seasons, those seasons had plenty of real bad performances in them too.

We have lost 3 games and we have won the league, we needed more goals in the team but we haven't managed to bring anyone in that can do that I'm sure our manager is aware. The goal was just to get promoted and he's done it with most of the same players Alan Stubbs failed with last year. Like I said Rangers weren't the issue last year, it was the games against everyone else where we were undone.

But if you showed a bit more ambition and went to win them then they wouldn't be able to close the gap at all. In this league with the players and budget that we have, it shouldn't have been a lot to ask for us to win more than half our games. This has been my issue this season. We've been lucky in that when we've drawn so many games, most of the teams around us have failed to capitalise by drawing or getting beat themselves.

Marco G
23-04-2017, 09:03 PM
But if you showed a bit more ambition and went to win them then they wouldn't be able to close the gap at all. In this league with the players and budget that we have, it shouldn't have been a lot to ask for us to win more than half our games. This has been my issue this season. We've been lucky in that when we've drawn so many games, most of the teams around us have failed to capitalise by drawing or getting beat themselves.
What do you mean? Draws still pick up points. Last season and the one before we would have lost some of these games. Please at least say you are happy that we did win the league with games to spare.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

weecounty hibby
23-04-2017, 09:04 PM
I was delighted when he became our manager. I'm delighted he's still our managed and am delighted that he will be our manager to take us on. He has the mentality that we haven't had at the club in decades, and I even include the periods of McLiesh and Mowbray. He takes no **** from anyone whether that's the press, refs, SPFL/SFA. We have been soft as **** for years and years but no more. Yesterday was a huge disappointment but we showed that we can battle after individual mistakes had us up against it.
I totally hated him as a player and also as manager at Celtic.

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 09:15 PM
What do you mean? Draws still pick up points. Last season and the one before we would have lost some of these games. Please at least say you are happy that we did win the league with games to spare.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I know they still pick up points, but we've drew 13 games this season. That's 13 points. With a bit more ambition we could have won say 5, lost 4 and still drew 4 and we would have picked up 19 points from they 13 games instead. Instead it feels like Lennons teams are set up to not lose as a priority and then we look to win the game. IMO Hibs teams setting up not to lose games for the second part of a season in the 2nd tier of Scottish football isn't really what I want to see.

Of course I'm happy we've won the league. Do I think we've been good this season over the piece however? Not particularly. That's why for me the jury is still out on Lennon. Note that I said the jury is still out, some folk on here seem to think that if you aren't thrilled to have him as manager that you actively want him out. I, and many others, are just undecided.

chrisski33
23-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Yawn. Is that really as constructive a reply as you can come up with? You're like a daft wee bairn, especially with the text speak. :rolleyes:

Its as constructive as the pish your coming out with old man!

calumhibee1
23-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Its as constructive as the pish your coming out with old man!

Old man.. In my mid 20s that's the first time I've ever heard that. Get to bed wee baws, you'll sleep in for school x

HoboHarry
23-04-2017, 10:22 PM
I know they still pick up points, but we've drew 13 games this season. That's 13 points. With a bit more ambition we could have won say 5, lost 4 and still drew 4 and we would have picked up 19 points from they 13 games instead. Instead it feels like Lennons teams are set up to not lose as a priority and then we look to win the game. IMO Hibs teams setting up not to lose games for the second part of a season in the 2nd tier of Scottish football isn't really what I want to see.

Of course I'm happy we've won the league. Do I think we've been good this season over the piece however? Not particularly. That's why for me the jury is still out on Lennon. Note that I said the jury is still out, some folk on here seem to think that if you aren't thrilled to have him as manager that you actively want him out. I, and many others, are just undecided.
Just think, if we had won those games instead of drawing them we might have won the league. Oh wait, we did anyway.......

chrisski33
23-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Old man.. In my mid 20s that's the first time I've ever heard that. Get to bed wee baws, you'll sleep in for school x

Im sure its not! Keep talking nonsense. Wee baws lol bet that took you a long time to think that one up!once youve re read ur posts ull realise youve posted aload of tosh!

shetlandhibee
23-04-2017, 10:41 PM
:top marks[QUOTE=Jack Hackett;5021489]Not really getting this comparison with previous seasons. Circumstances are always different. Players, managers, referees... even the bloody weather... change. It's ALL ifs buts and maybes.

Forget this season, and last, and get behind the team... and manager... for next season[here here ridiculous thread won the league comfortably with games to spare despite horendous refereeing desicions going against us or it would of been earlier. IMO lucky to have him :agree:

Eyrie
23-04-2017, 10:44 PM

If we can keep McGregor, Gray, Stevenson and Marciano then we have a platform to build on at the back.

If Lennon can sign equivalent quality further up the park then we'll play better football and win more games, so we'll both be delighted with him.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2017, 11:00 PM
If we can keep McGregor, Gray, Stevenson and Marciano then we have a platform to build on at the back.

If Lennon can sign equivalent quality further up the park then we'll play better football and win more games, so we'll both be delighted with him.

I would doubt if Marciano will be staying to be honest.

Mainstandman
24-04-2017, 07:30 AM

What else did you expect us to win? We've only won three cups in 26 years.

calumhibee1
24-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Im sure its not! Keep talking nonsense. Wee baws lol bet that took you a long time to think that one up!once youve re read ur posts ull realise youve posted aload of tosh!

Your posts are painful to read to the point I can't even be arsed to look at them anymore pal. The text speak is chronic. We'll agree to disagree.

JimBHibees
24-04-2017, 08:15 AM

The main thing near the end of the season was not to lose the games against Morton/United/Falkirk we won 2 and drew 2 which confirmed our lead and served us well.

chrisski33
24-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Your posts are painful to read to the point I can't even be arsed to look at them anymore pal. The text speak is chronic. We'll agree to disagree.

Your posts are dire and long winded and negative. Thankfully i find them funny and aload of rubbish like others have pointed out. Nothing wrong with text chat on here its a forum and im straight to the point unlike yours which are negative and have no real point

greenlex
24-04-2017, 08:43 AM
He's done ok but still to be convinced.

Northernhibee
25-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Lennon is an artist.

In that he's very good at drawing.

Waxy
25-04-2017, 02:33 PM
He was asked to get us promotion. Job done.
Looking forward to the big league.

Pete
25-04-2017, 02:38 PM
A winner who won't accept slackers and will push us on to where we deserve to be. No more of this punching below our weight.

Can't wait.

He could chill out a bit sometimes though. I'd hate to be his cat.

pacoluna
25-04-2017, 07:16 PM
What and winning the Scottish cup wasnt papering over the cracks considering we failed twice to get promoted.😂

calumhibee1
25-04-2017, 08:26 PM
What and winning the Scottish cup wasnt papering over the cracks considering we failed twice to get promoted.��

It did paper over some cracks last season, no doubt about that. However I still believe we were a stronger side last season and better equipped for promotion had we got it. Our points total in a stronger league would back that up, as would the fact we won the biggest competition in Scotland that any side other than Celtic can realistically hope to win.

houstonhibbee
25-04-2017, 08:45 PM
It did paper over some cracks last season, no doubt about that. However I still believe we were a stronger side last season and better equipped for promotion had we got it. Our points total in a stronger league would back that up, as would the fact we won the biggest competition in Scotland that any side other than Celtic can realistically hope to win.
Bit of a moot point though calum. were now promoted and can look forward to strengthening the squad and hopefully have better performances next season. Onwards and upwards. We have Lennon as our manager so lets get behind him. He is giving us his all.

calumhibee1
25-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Bit of a moot point though calum. were now promoted and can look forward to strengthening the squad and hopefully have better performances next season. Onwards and upwards. We have Lennon as our manager so lets get behind him. He is giving us his all.

I am behind him, I hope we go on to have a great season next year and that he strengthens the squad with some great signings. My previous post however, is my logic for still not being 100% convinced that he's the manager some people think he is. My main reservation being that he's not been able to work out a way to turn a ludicrous 13 draws (so far) into at least a few more wins.

houstonhibbee
25-04-2017, 08:51 PM
I am behind him, I hope we go on to have a great season next year and that he strengthens the squad with some great signings. My previous post however, is my logic for still not being 100% convinced that he's the manager some people think he is. My main reservation being that he's not been able to work out a way to turn a ludicrous 13 draws (so far) into at least a few more wins.
I agree and share your frustration - but we can't have everything, right? We have what we have. Enjoy the summer and lets hope for an exciting season ahead.:flag:

Borderhibbie76
25-04-2017, 08:54 PM
We won the league that's all that matters your posts are becoming pointless mate in what to be frank is a pointless argument. We go up as champions and that was the target at start of season. Frankly I don't give a toss about points and comparisons to last 2 seasons in championship...both of which we fell.woefully short in terms of promotion

Borderhibbie76
25-04-2017, 09:00 PM

We also lost 8 last season playing your preferred expansive football under Stubbsy...and twice to the might of Dumbarton and once to the already relegated alloa - seeing as your so obsessed with last season mate

calumhibee1
25-04-2017, 09:00 PM
We won the league that's all that matters your posts are becoming pointless mate in what to be frank is a pointless argument. We go up as champions and that was the target at start of season. Frankly I don't give a toss about points and comparisons to last 2 seasons in championship...both of which we fell.woefully short in terms of promotion

My posts are that pointless that you reply to them. I don't really care what your opinion of my posts are, thanks for letting me know though, I'll be sure to keep you in mind next time I write a post. :aok: As for it being a pointless argument, it's a thread called "views on Lennon". I've given my views and my reasons for holding them. Should it be changed to "Views on Lennon, just make sure that your views are 100% positive or borderhibbie will get upset?"

calumhibee1
25-04-2017, 09:02 PM
We also lost 8 last season playing your preferred expansive football under Stubbsy...and twice to the might of Dumbarton and once to the already relegated alloa - seeing as your so obsessed with last season mate

I'm fully aware of that, yet we also managed to pick up more points than we likely will this season in a stronger league. Which is my point that I've made all along. :aok:

Borderhibbie76
25-04-2017, 09:03 PM
I'm fully aware of that, yet we also managed to pick up more points than we likely will this season in a stronger league. Which is my point that I've made all along. :aok:
OK mate u have made your point...over and over and over again...we get it !!

calumhibee1
25-04-2017, 09:05 PM
OK mate u have made your point...over and over and over again...we get it !!

I'm sure there's a function to hide my posts if it infuriates you that much pal, make use of it.

Borderhibbie76
25-04-2017, 09:07 PM
I'm sure there's a function to hide my posts if it infuriates you that much pal, make use of it.
It's just a pointless argument mate...we won promotion this year the last 2 seasons we never...end of story!! Not infuriating at all...it's a mute argument

weecounty hibby
25-04-2017, 09:14 PM

Was it really a stronger league last year? Rangers were in it and romped it on the end, but stronger overall? Not sure. Rangers, Alloa and Livingston replaced by Dundee Utd, Dunfermline and Ayr.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Fabio Capello got sacked after winning the title for Real Madrid - mental. We will literally question anything. Early on in the season fans questioned whether he "got" hibs and if he was passionate about us. Now its whether he's good enough.

NL has us promoted, at the first time of asking. People say a weaker league and I'd agree but we've also had a weaker squad this season. Maybe NL told the board to save the cash for when we're back in the top flight cause he knew he'd get the job done?

Our form this season - agreed it's been a slog at times and grinding out results with too many draws. Let's not forget the criticisms pointed at Stubbsy particularly last season. Games against Dumbarton twice, Alloa, Morton all lost. Or games against Livi and the like where we've come from behind and won late on playing anything but attractive football.

Attractive football for me this season was, not quite irrelevant but not a priority imo. We got the job done mathematically at the beginning of April but if we're really serious the wins against DU and latterly Falkirk won us it.

In the big games Lennon has proved similar to Stubbs. Tactically astute and shown we can take the game to anyone.

I'm looking forward to next season with a decent manager leading us. Long may it continue.

We're not just a green and white army. We're Neil Lennon's green and white army!!

IanM
25-04-2017, 09:22 PM
My only concern is the quality of lennons signings this season given he's on what he'd see as a shoestring budget compared to others he's had.

I think Lennon this season will demand a bigger kitty than we'd usually give and I just wonder if we don't have it he'll toil

Otherwise I wouldn't swap him.. give him what he needs, this could be something special

Phil MaGlass
26-04-2017, 06:57 AM
Lennon is definitely the man for us, hes a guy who wont accept mediocrity, something that we have not had at Hibs for a long time, slackers will be gone, a new team will be shaped to the way he wants us to play. Lennon does not take crap from anyone, especially the press, we have a boss that knows the game, kicks ass and is high profile, this has put us on the map and IMO in line to where WE as a club should be heading and thats forward, onwards and upwards. Or would folk want us to be signing managers like Butcher again.
I for one cannae wait for next season, we have the fan base, we have the manager, the core of the team are there and dare I say it, a bit of cash in the bank, BRING THEM ALL ON.
Lets just hope we can keep hold of Lennon for a couple of seasons, he has the passion and the knowledge, I am hoping were onto something special here. Time will tell.
Ah cannae wait until the next derby, Neil Lennons green and white army coming up against Cathros laptop marauders. They will be 5hitting themselves next year.