Oh my God

They look even worse on second viewing.

Our two goals are lovely mind you

Ilovehibs
22-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Oh my God

They look even worse on second viewing.

Our two goals are lovely mind you

Need more drink before I can face watching them again.

Ilovehibs
22-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Their goals I mean!

BegbieHSC
22-04-2017, 05:40 PM
me too. Looking forward to finishing up the Dons in the league next season - awful goals to concede, but we're the better team, defeated by really dodgy goals.

Nakedmanoncrack
22-04-2017, 05:42 PM
Hopefully never see them again - utterly sickening.
Still proud of a fighting performance - they should be well ahead of us - but bar the idiotic opening period never looked it.

Posh Hibby
22-04-2017, 05:46 PM
The first goal is beyond bad.. McGinn tries to take on the whole Aberdeen team, then after winning back the ball McGregor plays a short pass..

Still, i'm more impressed by the resolve we showed to fight our way back into the game. We simply didn't have that mentality a few years ago. The winner for the Dons was a total fluke. :rolleyes:

wookie70
22-04-2017, 06:17 PM
The first goal is beyond bad.. McGinn tries to take on the whole Aberdeen team, then after winning back the ball McGregor plays a short pass..

:rolleyes:

By some accounts Aberdeen had seen that KO before and had a planned to get possession and put us under the cosh. We clearly had no plan for the kick off. Much as I hate that half our KOs are punted straight out of play or give the opposition's left back possession I wish we had went with that today. As it was we started the same way we played in the first 30 mins, slowly, lacking confidence and unprepared and littered with mistakes. The come back was great and showed how we can perform if we click.

DTS
22-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Where can you see them?

SonOfDavidFrancey
22-04-2017, 06:30 PM
Where can you see them?

Bbc website

emerald green
22-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Gut wrenching to lose our hold on the trophy to not just one, but two totally farcical goals.

I think McGeouch moved out of the way of the free kick for the second Aberdeen goal. It went right between him and another Hibs player (Boyle?). Then the goalkeeper makes a James Hunt of it. Was he taken by surprise that it went between the two defenders? Maybe.

A joke goal to lose in such an important match. As Lennon said, Aberdeen didn't have to work for those two goals. They were gifted them, apart from the fact that Aberdeen clearly planned to mob McGinn straight from the KO. Never in their wildest dreams did they think it would result in a goal in 12 seconds though.:fuming:

hibsbollah
22-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Daz playing the ball across the goal like that was crazy anytime. First ten seconds of a semi final? Insane.

The second goal was poor by Marciano but the wall breaking was so unprofessional (Gray or McGeough, not sure which).

Credit to everyone for recovering.

Vini1875
22-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Couldn't really blame Rocky. He had set the wall and then they split. Had they stayed together that ball would have hit the wall.

Waxy
22-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Punished to the max for two individual errors and a very lucky winner. We're due a bit luck in this competition now.
Very proud of everyone who's been at Hibs for the last three seasons.
Taking us back up and the cup exploits have been incredible.
What a support today also. Have a little feeling things could get even better than we dare imagine in the years ahead.

Ryan91
22-04-2017, 06:47 PM
First is awful defending, second is part luck and part Marciano not defending front post well enough.

Holt's goal is a great cross from Boyle, the Second is from a superb flick from Holt for Dylan.

Their 3rd takes a massive deflection and it just creeps inside the post as it spins away from Daz. Didn't look far off from being other side of post and a goal kick. Very lucky

Marciano was so close to scoring at the end, their keeper did well but if Marciano got a bit more direction on it, that would have been a goal.

Disappointed obviously, but it hides well for next season.

GGTTH

Hibee Mac
22-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Didn't realise how close that deflected goal was, unbelievable.

GreenArmyyy!
22-04-2017, 06:59 PM
The third goal is absolutely horrible, not just the deflection, it's going wide, hits the ground and spins agonisingly inside the post. Vile.

DickieDastardly
22-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Not watched the goals on TV, could see at the match they were bad enough. From our rubbishy seating position in sect G the 3rd looked initially as if it was spinning wide, spin then seemed to pull it back in.

Thought NL was a bit hard on the players and for me it was his starting formation that gave the Dons the opening 30mins!!

Echo some other comments though, once the substitution was made I thought we were great, effort energy & desire - all there. Can walk away with the heads held high.

Also don't begrudge the Dons their win, it was a game that could've gone either way in the end. Have quite a few friends from that neck of the woods and I hope they beat which ever side of the ugly sisters goes through tomorrow.

GGTTH

Broken Gnome
22-04-2017, 07:12 PM
It's a crap goal to lose and you'll always blame the keeper for it, but the second is pretty much a perfect free kick from there. Marciano didn't really react that slowly, and he's only got a hand to it well after it has crossed the line.

We're not talk Zibi-like howler, don't think.

gogsy23
22-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Just watched. I owe effe ambrose an apology as slated him for the first goal and it was a poor pass to him not a poor touch from him. The wall doesn't do its job at the second and keeper gets done at the near post. Positive points great goals from us with boyles run and cross excellent and great flic by holt and great finish by dylan. Sadly we created very few clear cut chances. Mainly due to aberdeens high tempo and closing down.

Hi Heid Yin
22-04-2017, 07:23 PM
And to think that there are fellow supporters saying that Lennon is out of order for slating his team for those first 30 minutes.
That opening minutes play by our lot is now etched into my mind forever.
It will go down in history as " Hibs commit Hari kiri in 12 seconds" or "How to upset your manager and 20,000 supporters in less than a minute"
If it had happened in a bog standard 2nd tier league game with nothing to play for the pain would be a lot less, but this was a Scottish Cup semi-final and truly wonderful opportunity to create a bit of history and we blew it through our own game of "pass the buck".
Like Lennon, I also feel that our two goal comeback was commendable but it was at the end of the day not enough to overcome the self-inflicted damage during those first 30 minutes.
Aberdeen's deflected winner should have been a mere consolation for them.

CMurdoch
22-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Everything that could have gone wrong today did.
2 uber soft goals and a deflected goal.
Lay the first goal at Darren's door and there were at least 4 mistakes for the second!
BUT they showed massive fighting character to pull level with two excellent goals.
only to be cruelly undone at the end by a deflection from a poor shot
There is certainly nothing for the team to fear next season and the players will have learned a lot from today's painful mess ups and won't repeat them.
The future is bright.

Fuzzywuzzy
22-04-2017, 07:30 PM
McGeoch should not have broken to his right but poor goal for keeper to lose.

The spin on the third goal is brutal and painful to watch. No spin no goal

Sir David Gray
22-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Just seen their first two goals and they were disgraceful to put it lightly.

Northernhibee
22-04-2017, 07:55 PM
And to think that there are fellow supporters saying that Lennon is out of order for slating his team for those first 30 minutes.
That opening minutes play by our lot is now etched into my mind forever.
It will go down in history as " Hibs commit Hari kiri in 12 seconds" or "How to upset your manager and 20,000 supporters in less than a minute"
If it had happened in a bog standard 2nd tier league game with nothing to play for the pain would be a lot less, but this was a Scottish Cup semi-final and truly wonderful opportunity to create a bit of history and we blew it through our own game of "pass the buck".
Like Lennon, I also feel that our two goal comeback was commendable but it was at the end of the day not enough to overcome the self-inflicted damage during those first 30 minutes.
Aberdeen's deflected winner should have been a mere consolation for them.

The fact he had to make a first half sub suggests that he got the tactics wrong in the first place. He talks about taking responsibility in the first half - I give him credit for making the right change that got us back into the game - but he needs to take responsibility for his failings. All too often with him if we lose it's the players fault and if we win then it's all about what they "give him". His comment on Hibs TV of "There's people in the crowd who want us to play good football, I put the good footballers on to begin with" is cowardice and deflection.

We win as a team and lose as a team. There's elements of him that I like. I really, really wish that he'd control his outbursts and take responsibility for when he gets things wrong. It'd hugely change my views on him.

madhatter
22-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Not watched the goals on TV, could see at the match they were bad enough. From our rubbishy seating position in sect G the 3rd looked initially as if it was spinning wide, spin then seemed to pull it back in.

Thought NL was a bit hard on the players and for me it was his starting formation that gave the Dons the opening 30mins!!

Echo some other comments though, once the substitution was made I thought we were great, effort energy & desire - all there. Can walk away with the heads held high.

Also don't begrudge the Dons their win, it was a game that could've gone either way in the end. Have quite a few friends from that neck of the woods and I hope they beat which ever side of the ugly sisters goes through tomorrow.

GGTTH

Harsh on the players? Watch the 2 goals again...we've conceded 3 goals in a game where Aberdeen didn't even create a half chance themselves...harsh...no I think Lennon was just.

Kick off was a disgrace, what is McGinn doing...does he actually think he's better than Zidane or something? He's trying to skin 5 players...then Bartley plays it to McGregor when it should have been to Marciano...then McGregor plays an awful pass to Ambrose...rather than foul or go shoulder to shoulder with Rooney Ambrose dives in and misses tackle...goal, 12 seconds in.

Wall gets set up, I could tell that Christie was going to shoot by where he was standing and the gap at the front post. Sleepy players don't recognise danger and McGeouch breaks from the wall. Marciano left too big a gap and Stevenson could have been closer to the post (even to act as a deterrent for the shot). Not one of the correct things happened and within 26 minutes we are 2 goals down.

still harsh?

Hi Heid Yin
22-04-2017, 08:17 PM
The fact he had to make a first half sub suggests that he got the tactics wrong in the first place. He talks about taking responsibility in the first half - I give him credit for making the right change that got us back into the game - but he needs to take responsibility for his failings. All too often with him if we lose it's the players fault and if we win then it's all about what they "give him". His comment on Hibs TV of "There's people in the crowd who want us to play good football, I put the good footballers on to begin with" is cowardice and deflection.

We win as a team and lose as a team. There's elements of him that I like. I really, really wish that he'd control his outbursts and take responsibility for when he gets things wrong. It'd hugely change my views on him.

You can still get your tactics wrong but not concede. Our two comical self-inflicted wounds had nothing to do with tactics.
If it had remained 0-0 he would still have taken Fyvie off and changed the shape to counter Aberdeen.

A good manager can see where his initial set-up wasn't working and make the necessary changes. Lennon did this successfully. Bringing Holt on was a master stroke.
In my opinion, Lennon does not shirk from his responsibilities, nor hide from his mistakes and blame others. I really don't think it's in his personality or make up.

What he can't account for is a collective shambles resulting in one of his best players (McGregor) making a poor decision and gifting the opposition a goal within 12 seconds of kick-off.

JimBHibees
22-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Daz playing the ball across the goal like that was crazy anytime. First ten seconds of a semi final? Insane.

The second goal was poor by Marciano but the wall breaking was so unprofessional (Gray or McGeough, not sure which).

Credit to everyone for recovering.

Wasn't the goalies fault the ball goes through the wall simply criminal.

madabouthibs
22-04-2017, 08:30 PM
Don't know how anyone can blame Rocky for that second goal. He set his wall up to cover the front post so he can be in a position to intercept a cross. Unfortunately the wall had a great big Mcgeoch sized door in it.

JimBHibees
22-04-2017, 08:33 PM
You can still get your tactics wrong but not concede. Our two comical self-inflicted wounds had nothing to do with tactics.
If it had remained 0-0 he would still have taken Fyvie off and changed the shape to counter Aberdeen.

A good manager can see where his initial set-up wasn't working and make the necessary changes. Lennon did this successfully. Bringing Holt on was a master stroke.
In my opinion, Lennon does not shirk from his responsibilities, nor hide from his mistakes and blame others. I really don't think it's in his personality or make up.

What he can't account for is a collective shambles resulting in one of his best players (McGregor) making a poor decision and gifting the opposition a goal within 12 seconds of kick-off.

You can't really say tactics were wrong when we lose a goal in 12 secs that totally changes the game.

matty_f
22-04-2017, 08:35 PM
The first two goals we lost were criminal at any level, never mind a semi final of the Scottish Cup.

Team did really well to get back into the game and it really was bad luck that cost us in the end.

hibsbollah
22-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Wasn't the goalies fault the ball goes through the wall simply criminal.

That's what I was saying:confused:

500miles
22-04-2017, 09:04 PM
McGinn tried to drive at Aberdeen straight from the off and McGregor has obviously had a highly uncharacteristic brain fart.

The bigger problem is we had nothing to aim at up front, and Aberdeen pressure was excellent, making it really difficult to play out from the back. Lennon totally misjudged the starting line-up. We needed to drag them into a fight from the off. We're a team with fantastic determination and character, and I think Lennon was wrong to criticise so harshly without recognising his own mistakes.

Hermit Crab
22-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Was there a handball by the Aberdeen player in the lead up to the third goal right in front of the linesman?

Hiber-nation
22-04-2017, 09:16 PM
McGinn tried to drive at Aberdeen straight from the off and McGregor has obviously had a highly uncharacteristic brain fart.

The bigger problem is we had nothing to aim at up front, and Aberdeen pressure was excellent, making it really difficult to play out from the back. Lennon totally misjudged the starting line-up. We needed to drag them into a fight from the off. We're a team with fantastic determination and character, and I think Lennon was wrong to criticise so harshly without recognising his own mistakes.

That's the way it seemed to me unless he had some masterplan that they didn't stick to. But it's easy in hindsight to say Holty should have started when he's done nothing since the hearts game.

lord bunberry
22-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Was there a handball by the Aberdeen player in the lead up to the third goal right in front of the linesman?
Yes there was

Hermit Crab
22-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Yes there was

I thought so, we screamed it from the North at the time.

Col2
22-04-2017, 09:30 PM
We blew it.

Yes we fought back and yes we scored two great goals and yes we lost to unlucky deflection but the team will have been prepared alll week to keep it tight at the back given quality of Aberdeen players.

Yet the two goals we conceded were two of the worst goals I have seen us concede for a long long time.

Gutted but the support and the bond between us and the club is stronger than I can remember. Just need to continue to build on it more and more with better players, better concentration and mental toughness.

green day
22-04-2017, 09:48 PM

It was blatant, rank incompetence. 10 seconds later, goal.

Unseen work
22-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Mcinnes in the press saying they have watched how hibs take kick off and know Mcginn drives at defences hence why so many charged him down so quick.

greenlex
22-04-2017, 11:15 PM
I don't know why Lennon played both Bartley and Fyvie. It hasn't worked any time it's been tried in the past so not sure what he was thinking about. Why did he suddenly think it'll work this time? Against Aberdeen too. Surely he knew we would be on the back foot and not have a great deal of the ball. I get the pace of Boyle running at them or onto balls over the top but Cummings up front in his own wasn't ever going to produce. Two ***** goals for sure but Lennon is certainly not blameless.

ehf
22-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Just forced myself to watch.

First one is a comedy of errors but don't think we should be too hard on Daz; his touch was slightly off but you have to give Rooney credit - he was on it like a whippet and finished well.

Second one was 100 per cent down to Dylan in my view; he was flitting around as Christie was lining it up, uncertain, unfocused, so Christie took a gamble and went for the gap.

Third is just pure spawn but Hayes should never have been allowed to get the shot away; Bartley the main culprit there.

truehibernian
22-04-2017, 11:26 PM
I don't know why Lennon played both Bartley and Fyvie. It hasn't worked any time it's been tried in the past so not sure what he was thinking about. Why did he suddenly think it'll work this time? Against Aberdeen too. Surely he knew we would be on the back foot and not have a great deal of the ball. I get the pace of Boyle running at them or onto balls over the top but Cummings up front in his own wasn't ever going to produce. Two ***** goals for sure but Lennon is certainly not blameless.

100% agree lex - said last week, if Bartley's name was on the first 11 teamsheet we'd lose - he's got zero pace which was essential v Dons. Playing both was bizarre. Fyvie was the natural choice for me.

Bartley has a lot of fans, personally I think over a season he's been quite a liability. I know I'm in the minority. I'd love Hibs to go for Osman at Partick. Far better footballer, stronger and more importantly quicker.

MWHIBBIES
22-04-2017, 11:36 PM
100% agree lex - said last week, if Bartley's name was on the first 11 teamsheet we'd lose - he's got zero pace which was essential v Dons. Playing both was bizarre. Fyvie was the natural choice for me.

Bartley has a lot of fans, personally I think over a season he's been quite a liability. I know I'm in the minority. I'd love Hibs to go for Osman at Partick. Far better footballer, stronger and more importantly quicker.Bartley had a solid game though?? He was better than McGinn in the middle

DH1875
22-04-2017, 11:40 PM
Bartley had a solid game though?? He was better than McGinn in the middle

Bartley is an easy target. McGinn has been poor by his standards.

Captain Trips
22-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Bartley IMO will or would prosper if we had a midfielder up there who had guile and unlocked defences. I would be happy for Bartley to sit in all match with Mcginn linking with a tricky Zemmama, Latapay type. Bartley would do even better knowing we had a complete forward thinking midfielder who in all likelihood will not contribute too much defensively.

Big90inOz
22-04-2017, 11:52 PM
Marciano wasn't at fault for their second, he set the wall up to protect the front post, Dylan moves out the wall leaving the front post open. Goal is solely Dylan's fault, he stays in the wall then the ball would have hit him

MWHIBBIES
23-04-2017, 01:47 AM
Mcinnes in the press saying they have watched how hibs take kick off and know Mcginn drives at defences hence why so many charged him down so quick.

Which isnt even true because all season we've just knocked it back and punted it out for a throw high up the park. Mcinnes just trying to sound clever.

J-C
23-04-2017, 04:48 AM
School boy defending for both opening goals and a horrendous deflection for their 3rd, we were murder the 1st 30 mins but overall we can hold our heads up and say, we're back.

Hibernia&Alba
23-04-2017, 05:10 AM
It just wasn't our day; three awful goals: one in the first fifteen seconds, a goalkeeper howler and a deflection. Sometimes luck goes against you, and that's in addition to the first two goals being a consequence of awful defending. It just proved too much in the end, but we fought well and can consider ourselves unfortunate. Promotion was the main priority, and we've achieved that.

Best of luck to Aberdeen in the final.

Hibernia&Alba
23-04-2017, 05:12 AM
Marciano wasn't at fault for their second, he set the wall up to protect the front post, Dylan moves out the wall leaving the front post open. Goal is solely Dylan's fault, he stays in the wall then the ball would have hit him

Nah, he shouldn't have let that shot in from there. It was a bad mistake.

Big90inOz
23-04-2017, 06:00 AM
Nah, he shouldn't have let that shot in from there. It was a bad mistake.

No way, he set the wall to cover the direct shot to the front post

high bee
23-04-2017, 06:23 AM
Bartley IMO will or would prosper if we had a midfielder up there who had guile and unlocked defences. I would be happy for Bartley to sit in all match with Mcginn linking with a tricky Zemmama, Latapay type. Bartley would do even better knowing we had a complete forward thinking midfielder who in all likelihood will not contribute too much defensively.

Someone like Scott Allan would fit this mould but don't think he'd take well to Lennon telling him how it is as soon as he has a bad game.

Waxy
23-04-2017, 06:33 AM
Bartley thrives better on the smaller pitches imo.

brog
23-04-2017, 07:04 AM

Sorry, that's just wrong. Rocky takes a step to his right as the kick is taken, if he stays where he is he makes the save. That's not to excuse Dylan, both are culpable.

brog
23-04-2017, 07:12 AM

I agree with this 100%. Here's a quick question. Which manager set us up to take a short kick off? which I like by the way. Which manager worked out we would do that & put us under pressure? I've always been worried about NL's conservative approach. No one can legislate for individual errors but starting Fyvie & Bartley together was IMO a cop out & handed the initiative to the Don's.

mjhibby
23-04-2017, 07:19 AM
Punished to the max for two individual errors and a very lucky winner. We're due a bit luck in this competition now.
Very proud of everyone who's bueen at Hibs for the last three seasons.
Taking us back up and the cup exploits have been incredible.
What a support today also. Have a little feeling things could get even better than we dare imagine in the years ahead.
My thoughts exactly. Was dreading the last two seasons but they have been amazing considering we were in the championship. That's us back in the spl and I'm sure Neil Lennon is well ahead in the preparation for next season unlike when Stubbs left a few weeks before the Malmo game.club was a shambles when Stubbs took over and as he said he wouldn't have taken the job if he knew how bad it was. The following season the Scott Allan saga ruined our pre season then having won the cup Stubbs left leaving Neil Lennon a few weeks to get ready for the season. With a blank canvas he can give us a team to compete at the top end of the spl for years to come.

Hibernia&Alba
23-04-2017, 07:20 AM
No way, he set the wall to cover the direct shot to the front post

Aye I know, but a keeper shouldn't be beaten at their near post from that angle. I think he should have dealt with it comfortably.

mjhibby
23-04-2017, 07:30 AM
We can't change it know and a few players certainly showed they are up to life in the spl. As I said considering we have been in the championship for three years our cup record is amazing but any semi final defeat is a sore one to take especially if some of it is self inflicted although you cant legislate for the winner.

Sergio sledge
23-04-2017, 07:48 AM

To be fair to Dylan, there was an Aberdeen player, Hayes i think, standing in acres of space at the corner of the box and Dylan was shouting and motioning for someone to come out of the box to cover him and no-one came out so he was worried the ball would get played straight to him for a shot in time and space. Unfortunately in trying to cover both options he ended up covering neither. Other players have to take some of the blame too for not coming out to mark the short free kick.

Baldy Foghorn
23-04-2017, 07:51 AM
We can't change it know and a few players certainly showed they are up to life in the spl. As I said considering we have been in the championship for three years our cup record is amazing but any semi final defeat is a sore one to take especially if some of it is self inflicted although you cant legislate for the winner.

Good post:aok:

fife hfc
23-04-2017, 08:03 AM

Spot on👍 The first goal is just a horrendous catalogue of errors but the first 30 minutes was down to his formation. Against Hearts we played two wide men and two strikers and showed them no respect. We feared Aberdeen too much with that set up and Cummings upfront on his own gave us no outlet and meant we had to try and pass the ball out. Mcgeouch out on the left negated that as a way out and with Aberdeen pressing us high we were forced into making mistakes. Holt on upfront gave us an outlet as he half then ball up and suddenly we were in the game and our midfield and defenders were not so pressured. Lennon was not at fault for the first goal but his team selection and formation was all wrong and he was responsible for that. Anyway I think we should enough to give me hope for next season. Hanlon is a solid and reliable defender to come in and if we can strengthen the attacking side of the game then we can have a good season. Onwards and upwards. GGTTH

Col2
23-04-2017, 08:44 AM
Aberdeen pace and intensity were a bit of a wake up call. But when we woke up and played they struggled themselves so we are not a million miles away.

We need to brining in half a dozen player who are better than what we have just now and retain McGregor, gray, Stevenson, Bartley and rocky.

southsider
23-04-2017, 11:59 AM
NL was right on wot he said. Boyle should have went down and at Rocky's header someone should have attacked the ball before it reached their keeper. Gutted but proud of my team. Being a Hibby is for life not just for finals.

Deansy
23-04-2017, 02:11 PM
The first 30 minutes cost us the game - 2 ludicrous goals lost, players constantly being caught in possession, all our players being a bag of nerves. For a while I actually feared another record-breaking scoreline involving Hibs but they fought back and I'm proud of the qualities they showed in getting us back to 2-2 - after that we just didn't get the luck !

RIP Bestie
23-04-2017, 02:28 PM
First is awful defending, second is part luck and part Marciano not defending front post well enough.

Holt's goal is a great cross from Boyle, the Second is from a superb flick from Holt for Dylan.

Their 3rd takes a massive deflection and it just creeps inside the post as it spins away from Daz. Didn't look far off from being other side of post and a goal kick. Very lucky

Marciano was so close to scoring at the end, their keeper did well but if Marciano got a bit more direction on it, that would have been a goal.

Disappointed obviously, but it hides well for next season.

GGTTH

Marciano not to blame for the free kick. He had set his wall up and has the right to expect that they would stand up to the free kick and not part like the Red Sea. That was the only reason the ball went in to that area of the goal.
Had the ball went over or round the wall it could be argued that Marciano was in the best position to deal with it

ACLeith
23-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Marciano not to blame for the free kick. He had set his wall up and has the right to expect that they would stand up to the free kick and not part like the Red Sea. That was the only reason the ball went in to that area of the goal.
Had the ball went over or round the wall it could be argued that Marciano was in the best position to deal with it

The ball went right through the wall, if Dylan had held position he would have blocked it. But with Hayes lurking near Christie understandable how he was caught in two minds. Situations like that you always need an extra defender, someone - Rocky, DG as captain or just anyone - should have seen that and reacted

Doesn't matter now. What does matter is how the sleeves got rolled up and we gave at least as good as we got fir the last hour of the game. The new players we bring in for next year will need to have that same attitude allied to their skills, I am sure NL will settle for nothing less.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2017, 03:03 PM
The first 30 minutes cost us the game - 2 ludicrous goals lost, players constantly being caught in possession, all our players being a bag of nerves. For a while I actually feared another record-breaking scoreline involving Hibs but they fought back and I'm proud of the qualities they showed in getting us back to 2-2 - after that we just didn't get the luck !

:agree: After the second one went in, I turned round and said to my mum that it could easily end up 5 or 6-0 with the way things had gone in the opening 30 minutes. There was a massive gulf between the two sides, it was embarrassing.

After that, I thought we were the better side and deserved extra time as a minimum.

where'stheslope
23-04-2017, 03:32 PM
:agree: After the second one went in, I turned round and said to my mum that it could easily end up 5 or 6-0 with the way things had gone in the opening 30 minutes. There was a massive gulf between the two sides, it was embarrassing.

After that, I thought we were the better side and deserved extra time as a minimum.

Its a bitter pill to swallow!

The best part is no one remembers the losing semi finalists in years to come.

We've proved ourselves to be up for a fight, but need to learn to stop silly mistakes as it has cost us in other games this season!

Next season we have to start well in the Premiership and give ourselves a chance for a good season.

No other team will want us to do well, so its up to us to prove we are there for keeps!!!!

23-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Watched it this morning. 3rd goal is just brutal, so so cruel but these things happen, not much we can do about it now.

cmcd
23-04-2017, 03:39 PM

He has in the past taken responsibility eg. Raith away

Pete
23-04-2017, 03:40 PM
Watched it this morning. 3rd goal is just brutal, so so cruel but these things happen, not much we can do about it now.

Indeed. It just shows that there are footballing gods and Aberdeen were just meant to go through.

They obviously wanted them to be the ones who will get thrashed by Celtic.

leither17
23-04-2017, 03:54 PM

I'm sure the throw in they got right after that should have went to us as well

Lancs Harp
23-04-2017, 03:59 PM
The ball went right through the wall, if Dylan had held position he would have blocked it. But with Hayes lurking near Christie understandable how he was caught in two minds. Situations like that you always need an extra defender, someone - Rocky, DG as captain or just anyone - should have seen that and reacted

Doesn't matter now. What does matter is how the sleeves got rolled up and we gave at least as good as we got fir the last hour of the game. The new players we bring in for next year will need to have that same attitude allied to their skills, I am sure NL will settle for nothing less.

Thats bad decision making from Dylan though. No way a man in a two man wall should be moving out of the wall to cover someone else. That should have been someone elses responsibility. Rocky made a mess of it but Dylan was equally to blame for me if we must play the blame game. Can chuck Fyvie into the equation too for giving the freekick away in the first place. We simply gave two very bad goals away in that first half hour we cant really deny that. Did a hell of a job to get back in it and then were simply very unlucky with the Dons winner.

hibs0666
Spot on👍 The first goal is just a horrendous catalogue of errors but the first 30 minutes was down to his formation. Against Hearts we played two wide men and two strikers and showed them no respect. We feared Aberdeen too much with that set up and Cummings upfront on his own gave us no outlet and meant we had to try and pass the ball out. Mcgeouch out on the left negated that as a way out and with Aberdeen pressing us high we were forced into making mistakes. Holt on upfront gave us an outlet as he half then ball up and suddenly we were in the game and our midfield and defenders were not so pressured. Lennon was not at fault for the first goal but his team selection and formation was all wrong and he was responsible for that. Anyway I think we should enough to give me hope for next season. Hanlon is a solid and reliable defender to come in and if we can strengthen the attacking side of the game then we can have a good season. Onwards and upwards. GGTTH

Nope. The horrendous 30 minutes was down to players not applying themselves properly, and not playing anywhere near their best. And they wil regret it in the coming weeks and months if they are not doing so already.

eastterrace
I'm sure the throw in they got right after that should have went to us as well

Not sure about throw in but definite hand ball the whole south stand saw it and the linesman who was about 4 yards away how he never seen it. Ref couldn't see it due to the player body blocking his view

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
23-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Due to our bus breaking down we didn't get into the stadium until a couple of minutes after kick off .... I didn't realise we had even missed the kick off until I saw the scoreboard when I got to the east concourse .... I seriously thought it was a joke until someone confirmed they had scored in the first 15 seconds ..... the fact that I didn't hear a roar on the way up the steps says everything about the Aberdeen 'support'

Seen the first goal on TV this morning ... the whole game is available on BBC i player .... where do you begin? an absolute catalogue of errors and bad decision making, starting with McGinn, WTF was he trying to do? followed by McGregor who should just have been grateful Bartley had got us out of jail by winning the ball back and instead tried to be too clever.

The 2nd goal was just as bad, though I do feel a bit sorry for Rocky, he couldn't have expected the wall to part like the Red Sea the way it did.

It was however a fantastic fight back and we scored two excellent goals .... the Dons barely troubled us with chances of their own creation and the winning goal was too cruel for words .... like everybody else on the north side of the ground I saw the blatant handball in the build up to the winning goal, the linesman 10 yards away couldn't have failed to see it, its an absolute mystery why he didn't flag it up ...... bad enough we lost to a fluke goal without the officials giving Aberdeen a helping hand in the process.

I get why Lennon is so angry, our first half hour was a shambles ... what I don't like to see is him 'outing' individual players in the media, especially when its the likes of Darren McGregor who has been a rock for us this season, I highly doubt Darren needs telling he made a mess of things, that was caused by a bad decision, not laziness or a lack of effort. Slate the team if you like, slate an individual if he has a poor game due to a lack of effort or application, but not individuals for making a mistake, yes in the dressing room, but not in public because I cant see how its helpful.

ACLeith
23-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Thats bad decision making from Dylan though. No way a man in a two man wall should be moving out of the wall to cover someone else. That should have been someone elses responsibility. Rocky made a mess of it but Dylan was equally to blame for me if we must play the blame game. Can chuck Fyvie into the equation too for giving the freekick away in the first place. We simply gave two very bad goals away in that first half hour we cant really deny that. Did a hell of a job to get back in it and then were simply very unlucky with the Dons winner.

I agree Dylan should not have moved, but I can understand a split-second decision when Hayes moved into acres of space.

Talking about the "blame game", I had someone behind me yesterday in the South who spent the first 30 minutes of the game continually - and I do mean continually! - moaning at everyone on the pitch e.g. slagging off SDG for letting Hayes run past him. Didn't seem to occur to her that the Dons midfield were pressing us so much that they were able to feed him the ball with space to use his blistering speed. Fortunately, she calmed down a bit after we scored, or else I might have been tempted to ask to "gie it a rest" and that would probably not have helped the situation :rolleyes:

Eyrie
23-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Nope. The horrendous 30 minutes was down to players not applying themselves properly, and not playing anywhere near their best. And they wil regret it in the coming weeks and months if they are not doing so already.

So how do you explain the massive improvement after 30 minutes? Did the players not take Aberdeen seriously until we were two down, or did the change in formation put the players in a position to play better?

hibs0666
23-04-2017, 06:27 PM
So how do you explain the massive improvement after 30 minutes? Did the players not take Aberdeen seriously until we were two down, or did the change in formation put the players in a position to play better?

So how do you explain McGregor playing it short to Ambrose? What did formation have to do with McGeough stepping out of the wall?

Eyrie
23-04-2017, 06:51 PM
So how do you explain McGregor playing it short to Ambrose? What did formation have to do with McGeough stepping out of the wall?

So other than those two individual errors our performance for the first 30 minutes was perfectly acceptable and if the rest of the game had continued in that manner we'd have gone through?

hibs0666
23-04-2017, 07:37 PM
So other than those two individual errors our performance for the first 30 minutes was perfectly acceptable and if the rest of the game had continued in that manner we'd have gone through?

We had a half hour of individuals that were way off the pace.

Eyrie
23-04-2017, 07:40 PM
We had a half hour of individuals that were way off the pace.

Followed by 60 minutes of those same players doing far better once the formation was changed.

The Pointer
23-04-2017, 10:04 PM
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Ambrose yet. He had a howler of a game from the word go, something the Dons fans seemed to latch on to early on. His passing was awful and every time he got the ball seemed to dither then be forced into making a mis-pass. The others didn't help, giving him a few hospital passes which he couldn't deal with.

He did improve to a certain extent later, as did they all.

hibee_girl
23-04-2017, 10:06 PM
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Ambrose yet. He had a howler of a game from the word go, something the Dons fans seemed to latch on to early on. His passing was awful and every time he got the ball seemed to dither then be forced into making a mis-pass. The others didn't help, giving him a few hospital passes which he couldn't deal with.

I was fuming with Ambrose yesterday but then I saw Lennon on tv saying he'd had an allergic reaction so that might explain his performance

Speedy
23-04-2017, 10:24 PM
First goal was terrible. McGinn caught in possession, shocking pass from McGregor and no real attempt to tackle Rooney from Ambrose.

Second I have to blame McGeouch. Not great from Rocky but you can understand him trusting the wall to do it's job.

Third was poor as well. McGinn and Bartley letting them run right through us and McGregor probably should've got a better block in.

Our goals were good though. Great run and cross from Boyle for the first. Brilliant play for the second from Holt and McGeouch.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2017, 10:31 PM

Ambrose was particularly bad in the first half yesterday.

It's a pity that yesterday was pretty much the only bad game he's had for us since he's come in.

He did improve in the second half though.