PDA

View Full Version : Summary of today's game.

Wellbankhibby
22-04-2017, 04:48 PM
After a dreadful first 30 mins littered with mistakes I feel we were the better side. Once GH opened our account we pushed for equaliser and were very worthy. I felt Aberdeen players were throwing themselves to ground most of the match. Grant Holt booked for nothing, didn't even touch the guy who threw himself to ground. Very unlucky to loose to deflected shot but mistakes killed us. Aberdeen the 2nd force in Scottish Football I don't think so. Add a few players to the squad and keep the players we need and we are not far away. A word about Neil Lennon he is a winner you only had to see his passion when we equalised. Disappointed today but back in Premier League. After poor 30 minutes we WERE the better side. Keep your chins up. GGTTH. :flag:

Holmesdale Hibs
22-04-2017, 04:56 PM
After a dreadful first 30 mins littered with mistakes I feel we were the better side. Once GH opened our account we pushed for equaliser and were very worthy. I felt Aberdeen players were throwing themselves to ground most of the match. Grant Holt booked for nothing, didn't even touch the guy who threw himself to ground. Very unlucky to loose to deflected shot but mistakes killed us. Aberdeen the 2nd force in Scottish Football I don't think so. Add a few players to the squad and keep the players we need and we are not far away. A word about Neil Lennon he is a winner you only had to see his passion when we equalised. Disappointed today but back in Premier League. After poor 30 minutes we WERE the better side. Keep your chins up. GGTTH. :flag:

Agree with most of that except I do think Aberdeen are the second force in Scottish football. The fact they looked ordinary today just shows how good we are and how little there is between the teams below Celtic and those at the top of the championship.

We were unlucky today and I thought we were the better team. Good luck to the sheep on the final, hope they beat whatever weejie team they come up against.

wookie70
22-04-2017, 04:59 PM
My summary is - poor starting line up designed to defend. Players on the back foot from the kick off looking like they had no idea what they were meant to be doing. Jason's legs were struggling after 30 minutes of playing in complete isolation. Total shambles until Lennon changed it. Lennon makes a good decision to bring Holt on and the big man played one of his best games. After we got the formation right we matched or bettered Aberdeen in all departments apart from a wee bit luck. The ref never helped much and we scored two very good goals with Holt the scorer and creator. Big decision to keep Ambrose on for so long as he had a allergic reaction at half time but Lennon's hands were a bit tied at having to make an early substitution due primarily to his formation not working. McGeouch going off injured was a bit of a turning point. Talk about a week is a long time in Football. Daz gets player of the year and scores twice last week and is at fault for the first and credited with an OG for the winner today. I thought he was our best player today. Rocky was a couple of foot away from legendary status.

Allant1981
22-04-2017, 05:01 PM
crap defending for first goal, crap defending and goalkeeping for second, 2 well worked hibs goals, unlucky deflection for 3rd aberdeen goal

Ilovehibs
22-04-2017, 05:01 PM
My summary is - poor starting line up designed to defend. Players on the back foot from the kick off looking like they had no idea what they were meant to be doing. Jason's legs were struggling after 30 minutes of playing in complete isolation. Total shambles until Lennon changed it. Lennon makes a good decision to bring Holt on and the big man played one of his best games. After we got the formation right we matched or bettered Aberdeen in all departments apart from a wee bit luck. The ref never helped much and we scored two very good goals with Holt the scorer and creator. Big decision to keep Ambrose on for so long as he had a allergic reaction at half time but Lennon's hands were a bit tied at having to make an early substitution due primarily to his formation not working. McGeouch going off injured was a bit of a turning point. Talk about a week is a long time in Football. Daz gets player of the year and scores twice last week and is at fault for the first and credited with an OG for the winner today. I thought he was our best player today. Rocky was a couple of foot away from legendary status.

An excellent summary Wookie.

Zazu62
22-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Playing Bartley and Fyvie together doesn't work, maybe on a bad pitch when their isn't going to be much football being played

green day
22-04-2017, 05:14 PM
I think what today might teach Lennon is that we play better when set up offensively.

I'm quite relaxed about the loss, suspect if Celtic win tomorrow, today's outcome irrelevant they are so dominant.

Chip shop Joe
22-04-2017, 05:16 PM
It did not think there was much in it and there is not much you can do with the winner.

The biggest positive for me is that Aberdeen are supposedly the second best team in the country. I think our team at the moment is as good as theirs, if not better.

They are going to lose good players at the end of the season, McGinn for certain and possibly Jack. These guys will be hard to replace.

We on the other hand will only lose our best players if we get decent money and will hopefully improve our team for next season so let's remain positive. GGTTH

houstonhibbee
22-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Interesting comments in the Scotsman.
Aberdeen had studied hibs kick offs and were prepared to immediately pressurize the pass to McGinn which led to the mistakes and the goal. Plus their tactic to put pressure on hibs players which meant we had no outlet until the Holt switch negated that tactic. After that Aberdeen struggled to deal with Hibs tactically.

houstonhibbee
22-04-2017, 05:20 PM
After a dreadful first 30 mins littered with mistakes I feel we were the better side. Once GH opened our account we pushed for equaliser and were very worthy. I felt Aberdeen players were throwing themselves to ground most of the match. Grant Holt booked for nothing, didn't even touch the guy who threw himself to ground. Very unlucky to loose to deflected shot but mistakes killed us. Aberdeen the 2nd force in Scottish Football I don't think so. Add a few players to the squad and keep the players we need and we are not far away. A word about Neil Lennon he is a winner you only had to see his passion when we equalised. Disappointed today but back in Premier League. After poor 30 minutes we WERE the better side. Keep your chins up. GGTTH.

:flag:
:top marks

Mon Dieu4
22-04-2017, 05:22 PM
My take in person and haven't seen any replays would be that the linesman didn't give his second hand ball in the space of 10 mins and they scored as a result

houstonhibbee
22-04-2017, 05:22 PM
I think what today might teach Lennon is that we play better when set up offensively.

I'm quite relaxed about the loss, suspect if Celtic win tomorrow, today's outcome irrelevant they are so dominant.
saves Leigh the embarrassment of having to miss sitters in the final when he comes on...........

S.sct
22-04-2017, 09:59 PM
Interesting comments in the Scotsman.
Aberdeen had studied hibs kick offs and were prepared to immediately pressurize the pass to McGinn which led to the mistakes and the goal. Plus their tactic to put pressure on hibs players which meant we had no outlet until the Holt switch negated that tactic. After that Aberdeen struggled to deal with Hibs tactically.

That was obvious. Hate the new KO rules.Would always start with a forward pass...knocking it back aways has a potential for trouble.

greenlex
22-04-2017, 10:03 PM
That was obvious. Hate the new KO rules.Would always start with a forward pass...knocking it back aways has a potential for trouble.

If only he had knocked it back!!!!!!

greenlex
22-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Playing Bartley and Fyvie together doesn't work, maybe on a bad pitch when their isn't going to be much football being played

Nope. Not even on a bad pitch.

monktonharp
22-04-2017, 10:08 PM
My take in person and haven't seen any replays would be that the linesman didn't give his second hand ball in the space of 10 mins and they scored as a resultseveral of my mates mentioned this, although I never saw it. there were a couple of calls for handball, from the North stand though iirc

monktonharp
22-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Nope. Not even on a bad pitch. I was a bit unsure about Fyvie being subbed, and put it down to the fact that he was carrying a yellow. big Marvin, on the other hand put himself about and played a stormer !

Lancs Harp
22-04-2017, 10:31 PM
I was a bit unsure about Fyvie being subbed, and put it down to the fact that he was carrying a yellow. big Marvin, on the other hand put himself about and played a stormer !

Surely Fyvie's substitution was purely tactical? We needed two men upfront and to accomodate it someone from midfield had to be "sacrificed".

We clearly had our starting line up wrong. NLs error but credit to him for making the changes and correcting it sooner rather than later, how many coaches would have waited until half time or even the hour mark?

wookie70
22-04-2017, 10:35 PM
That was obvious. Hate the new KO rules.Would always start with a forward pass...knocking it back aways has a potential for trouble. Nothing in the rules say you have to knock it back. Our choice and it is a set piece so it should have been organised with all the players knowing their role. Aberdeen certainly knew what they were doing.