PDA

View Full Version : John McGinn.

GlasgowHibee
22-04-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm one of his biggest fans, but he was totally outclassed and overrun by McLean, Jack and Shinnie today. If he wants to stay a Scotland international then he will need to lift his game and match players like that.

He just wasn't at the races today, too slow on the ball, often dithered and barely had any major surging runs through the middle of the pitch.

Was he just tired? Or is there just not enough quality around him in the middle of the park?

I don't know, but he wasn't great.

Allant1981
22-04-2017, 02:33 PM
I'm one of his biggest fans, but he was totally outclassed and overrun by McLean, Jack and Shinnie today. If he wants to stay a Scotland international then he will need to lift his game and match players like that.

He just wasn't at the races today, too slow on the ball, often dithered and barely had any major surging runs through the middle of the pitch.

Was he just tired? Or is there just not enough quality around him in the middle of the park?

he played ok in the 2nd half but there were better players than him on the park today

Heisenberg
22-04-2017, 02:33 PM
He's not been anywhere near as good as he can be this season IMO. Today was a very poor performance from him.

California-Hibs
22-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Still no idea what the hell he was doing from kick off. Criminal

calumhibee1
22-04-2017, 02:34 PM
He's been poor all season compared to last season. Really needs to offer more.

MSK
22-04-2017, 02:35 PM

I don't know, but he wasn't great.McGinn was man marked today, marked to the hilt, two & sometimes more snapping at him whenever he had the ball. Granted when he did unshackle them he either fell on his erse or his out ball was poor.

Blaster
22-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Kicked off the ball in the first half and no booking

Fyvie one foul and booked

RoscoHibby
22-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Think the OP is unfair. Was 2 v 3 in there for most of the game. McGinn was fine today.

No idea what he was doing at the kick off though...

cleanyman
22-04-2017, 03:05 PM
He has been poor this season.

Fannied about at the kick off which led to a hocking opening goal

McLean is a class player.

Boyle89
22-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Think the OP is unfair. Was 2 v 3 in there for most of the game. McGinn was fine today.

Exactly. He pulled his socks up and got stuck in. Had a few driving runs but was hauled back or taken down every time he got going and Beaton let it happen. Not his best game but can't blame him.
The kick off though😩.

jacomo
22-04-2017, 03:09 PM

I wouldn't blame him for the early goal. Ok he lost the ball but no way we should have conceded.

Marv made the tackle but then seemed to stop for the whistle that never came, Daz sells Efe short with a poor pass.

Basic mistakes really.

Ilovehibs
22-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Thought Super John did well 2nd half despite being tightly marked. Also saw him shouting and geeing the boys up throughout. If he goes close season we will miss him big time. Class player.

Chip shop Joe
22-04-2017, 03:23 PM
I thought he was poor all game to be honest. He is definitely a player but I do think that some think he is better than he is. I do like him though but he has been compared on here to Scott Brown before he went to Celtic and as I have said before he is not in Browns class, at least yet!

Hopefully he is just burnt out after playing a lot of football in the last couple of seasons. He also takes a hell of a lot of punishment during s game. I think he should now be given the summer off and play some youngsters for the last few games.

lucky
22-04-2017, 03:26 PM
I thought he dominated after Holt came on.

snooky
22-04-2017, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't blame him for the early goal. Ok he lost the ball but no way we should have conceded.

Marv made the tackle but then seemed to stop for the whistle that never came, Daz sells Efe short with a poor pass.

Basic mistakes really.

:agree: All the mistake ducks lined up.

ancient hibee
22-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Suspect carrying his injury at the start of the season hasn't helped.Hopefully a proper pre-season will get him going again.

makaveli1875
22-04-2017, 03:37 PM
he hasnt looked quite the same without hendo in the midfield

to say he's been poor is way off the mark though

lord bunberry
22-04-2017, 03:48 PM
I thought he was decent after the first half hour.

gogsy23
22-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Aberdeen didnt let him play but wasnt as bad as some are making out

PeterboroHibee
22-04-2017, 03:53 PM
He was really poor first half, but I felt he improved once we got more into the game. Regarding the goal, hopefully something he learns from - he doesnt need to take on groups of players, especially from kick off!

Smartie
22-04-2017, 04:15 PM
He was really poor first half, but I felt he improved once we got more into the game. Regarding the goal, hopefully something he learns from - he doesnt need to take on groups of players, especially from kick off!

He'll get away with that in the Championship.

He won't get away with it in the premier league.

inglisavhibs
22-04-2017, 04:25 PM
He'll get away with that in the Championship.

He won't get away with it in the premier league.
Incredible thread! John struggled understandably like the rest of the team for half an hour after our disastrous start but was part of our two man central midfield who managed to dominate Aberdeen's three man midfield for the rest of the game. Just ask Aberdeen's support how they thought their midfield did. Hope McGinn doesn't read this crap as it doesn't come close to representing our support. We get a class midfield player and some fans find a way to down him.

BT58
22-04-2017, 04:26 PM
SJM was man marked. At the ko he had 3-4 players round him. They did their homework. We where unlucky that Dylan was forced off straight away after he scored the leveler

bawheid
22-04-2017, 04:34 PM
McGinn was excellent today once the change had been made. Anyone not seeing that needs to lay off the drink on the bus to Hampden in future.

Allant1981
22-04-2017, 04:37 PM
McGinn was excellent today once the change had been made. Anyone not seeing that needs to lay off the drink on the bus to Hampden in future.

he was no where near excellent, he was ok once he got into the game

brianmc
22-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Whilst McGinn was playing with his injury niggle you could tell he was only playing at about 70% of his ability.
Since he's had it 'fixed' I reckon he's performed at no better than 50% of what he's actually capable of. Weird.

Booked4Being-Ugly
22-04-2017, 04:52 PM
McGinn was excellent today once the change had been made. Anyone not seeing that needs to lay off the drink on the bus to Hampden in future.i thought he was ok during the game but watched the whole game back when I got in and McGinn was pretty woeful.

B.H.F.C
22-04-2017, 04:56 PM

Far too many slack, wasted passes. Nowhere near excellent.

Ilovehibs
22-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Incredible the criticism of SJM here today. Yes, overdid it at times, some mistakes but never hides and not nearly as bad a game as some making out. Give the guy a break.
Proud of the boys today for showing great spirit and fighting back after a very poor start.

We are hibs.

hibsbollah
22-04-2017, 05:15 PM
I thought he was poor, although it's true he was man marked and had to ride a few bad tackles. It doesn't matter now. He's a class player and we need him next season.

Bishop Hibee
22-04-2017, 05:20 PM
I thought he played ok. They took turns kicking him everybody time he got the ball. Only Bartley was better than him in midfield in my opinion.

Unseen work
22-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Got fouled every time he got the ball but his passing/ decision making was poor most the game.

Bartley was our best midfielder

Unseen work
22-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Also him trying to take on half the team from kick off was frankly embarrassing. First 10 minutes of a semi should be playing it safe and long to pin back the opposition.

He needs to develop this decision making as he put us on the back foot straight away.

Hi Heid Yin
22-04-2017, 07:55 PM
For me, John McGinn (injuries and op aside) has been a pale shadow of his former self and has gotten through most of this season on reputation and previous credit.
Yes, there have been odd stupendous moments such as his comeback show against Dundee United at Easter Road, but on the whole he has disappointed me and looked average and been ineffective in most games.
Maybe he needs the space that the SPL will offer him to demonstrate the full range of his talents.
I keep my fingers crossed that this will indeed be the case

Billy Whizz
22-04-2017, 08:00 PM
John's hardly had a break in 2 seasons, maybe some fatigue setting in. With the league about to finish in 2 weeks for all our players, I'm sure John will benefit from the break, maybe got a month or so off, like quite a few of our team

3pm
22-04-2017, 08:02 PM

Think you need to stay off the drink.

3pm
22-04-2017, 08:03 PM
John's hardly had a break in 2 seasons, maybe some fatigue setting in. With the league about to finish in 2 weeks for all our players, I'm sure John will benefit from the break, maybe got a month or so off, like quite a few of our team

He missed a month earlier this year?

Billy Whizz
22-04-2017, 08:05 PM
He missed a month earlier this year?

It was hardly a holiday, and probably rushed back before he was ready

3pm
22-04-2017, 08:08 PM
It was hardly a holiday, and probably rushed back before he was ready

Maybe not a holiday but he's had a break.

JimBHibees
22-04-2017, 08:09 PM

Wasn't his best game but he certainly wasn't outclassed he was closed down by 2 or 3 every time he got it. Battled well and did ok.

Billy Whizz
22-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Maybe not a holiday but he's had a break.

Probably a break from playing, but bet you he was in training everyday. We all need a bit of time away from "our work"

JimBHibees
22-04-2017, 08:10 PM

Agree.

JimBHibees
22-04-2017, 08:12 PM
He has been poor this season.

Fannied about at the kick off which led to a hocking opening goal

McLean is a class player.

McGinn is 3 times the player he is. Hugely overrated.

RoscoHibby
22-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Didn't notice McLean the whole 90....shinnie is a good player for them though. McGinn was as good as any midfielder out there though.
They are well drilled and have a good shape the sheep, this might be a reason as to some thinking SJM wasn't as effective as usual. And the numerical advantage/formations for the last hour...

TrinityHibs
22-04-2017, 08:30 PM
After Marv SJM was our best midfielder today. Love the guy. We are lucky to have him. When he goes we will be a lesser team

cleanyman
22-04-2017, 08:39 PM
McGinn is 3 times the player he is. Hugely overrated.

Well he didn't show it today.

McLean dominated him

RoscoHibby
22-04-2017, 08:47 PM

McLean dominated him

I seen McGinn make a few misplaced passes in a crowded midfield when our game was being strangled first 30, and cynically fouled at least 5 times when breaking with the ball. But at no point was he 'dominated'. Absolute nonsense. Won plenty of tackles and drove us on at numerous occasions.

JimBHibees
22-04-2017, 08:48 PM

McLean dominated him

No chance. McLean a bit player who relies on Shinnie and jack. Hugely overrated.

Hiber-nation
22-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Sorry, SJM was poor today by his standards, no getting away from it.

inglisavhibs
22-04-2017, 08:55 PM

McLean dominated him
Strangely Aberdeen fans are saying the same about McLean. Just because you make a few errors doesn't mean you have a bad game. McGinn also defends much better than McLean who has a virtually free role in the central midfield. As I said earlier Bartley and McGinn had to play against three Aberdeen midfielders for over an hour and did very well in my opinion.

Captain Trips
22-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Rough with smootb SJM played a part in why we lost today as did Mcgregor. They are of course allowed off days but as heavily they are praised tonight its fair to say they had a mare in that first minute.

The free kick was also a calamity.