PDA

View Full Version : Holt

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Hold your head high auld yin, you were absolutely superb.

Take a bow.

:aok:

Heisenberg
22-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Brilliant performance. Wish we'd seen it more often but he dragged us back into that today.

Vault Boy
22-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Loves the big occasions, excellent performance

corby hibee
22-04-2017, 01:24 PM
New one year deal? He was always going to cause aberdeen defence problems.

calumhibee1
22-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Best player on the pitch by a country mile.

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Superb today, that is how we all want him to play every week.

hibee92
22-04-2017, 02:19 PM
He was incredible

hibee_girl
22-04-2017, 02:19 PM
New one year deal? He was always going to cause aberdeen defence problems.

He seems to do well against the premiership teams!

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-04-2017, 02:51 PM
I've been very vocal in my support for the big fella. Great pro to have around the place and has been a good coach in certain aspects to Jase. Should have started the day simply for his big game experience.

Really hope he signs for another year.

HFCdeb
22-04-2017, 02:52 PM
I've been very vocal in my support for the big fella. Great pro to have around the place and has been a good coach in certain aspects to Jase. Should have started the day simply for his big game experience.

Really hope he signs for another year.

Same. Love him 💚

Fergus52
22-04-2017, 02:53 PM
All of his involvement in the build up play for our second was sublime. Some of his flick ons and hold up play was top class as well.

It's a shame we've got him after he's completely lost what little pace he had. If he was just a wee bit more mobile he'd be much more effective

alihibs1
22-04-2017, 03:07 PM
I'd give him a one year deal

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NikGunnarsson
22-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Deserves one year,
As for him not starting ludicrous decision! The guy is a big game player.

gogsy23
22-04-2017, 03:51 PM
Anyone who knows owt about football can see he is class. His touches,hold up play. Hes maybe not 20 but does a grand job. Good shout by lenmon for changing it. Hope he stays as is a good guy om and off the park

wookie70
22-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Not a fan but he did very well when he came on and was a huge part of our comeback. Such a shame he can't play more of the game in or near the box as he looks very dangerous when he is in there.

PeeJay
22-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Not really a fan of Holt's, but he put in a good shift today ... not a bad performance at all for an "old" man !

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Anyone who knows owt about football can see he is class. His touches,hold up play. Hes maybe not 20 but does a grand job. Good shout by lenmon for changing it. Hope he stays as is a good guy om and off the park

Its just a pity he's only done it a handful of times this season.

snooky
22-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Not really a fan of Holt's, but he put in a good shift today ... not a bad performance at all for an "old" man !
Agreed he played really well today but TBH, in the big picture, his ship has sailed, IMO

hibee_girl
22-04-2017, 05:14 PM

Not only that but he helps Jason or whoever he's playing with by constantly talking them through the game.

I hope he stays

wookie70
22-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Not only that but he helps Jason or whoever he's playing with by constantly talking them through the game.

I hope he stays

He must shout them through the game as he is usually 30 yards behind Jason in open play. The one criticism I had of him today was the time Jason broke clear on the left. If Holt had the legs or perhaps reacted quicker he could have had a tap in. When Jason squared the ball only Boyle, who was beyond two or three Aberdeen defenders, had made the effort to get up in support. Holt clearly sees the game very well and that probably leads him to fill in where he sees a gap. The problem is because he is so slow he can't then get up and help Jason. The goal he scored is exactly what I thought we would get from him but it just hasn't happened. That kind of ball has been played in many times this year with Holt stood outside the box.

Saying all that he played very well today and when he got in the Aberdeen box he was very dangerous. The fact he was even in Aberdeen's half caused the game to change when he came on.

givescotlandfreedom
22-04-2017, 05:32 PM
He was brilliant today and totally changed the game. Is he playing for a new deal or would he consistently play at a better level though?

Cheshire Hibby
22-04-2017, 05:34 PM
IMO he should have started. He gave us a chance to get the ball out, scored and gave their players a hard time all round. Would like to see him try to lose some weight and get fitter, so that he can contribute more often.

MWHIBBIES
22-04-2017, 05:36 PM
We're in the SPL next year and Holt has been absolutely brilliant against the SPL sides we've played this season.

keep the faith
22-04-2017, 05:41 PM

Anyone can see what he offers us all season. Great player.Judging him on goals only is bizarre and very short sighted.

hibee_girl
22-04-2017, 05:41 PM
We're in the SPL next year and Holt has been absolutely brilliant against the SPL sides we've played this season.

:agree:

Unseen work
22-04-2017, 05:45 PM
Not been a fan of him all season but today we were crying out for him.

Wonder what the score would of been if he started

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Anyone can see what he offers us all season. Great player.Judging him on goals only is bizarre and very short sighted.

I must need stronger glasses then, and i'm not just judging him on goals? Terrific today, but as Lennon has said, he's sick of them just turning up when they want, and he's as bad as anyone in that.

If he did that every week, i'd be saying the opposite.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-04-2017, 05:50 PM

What do you judge him on then? Assists?

inglisavhibs
22-04-2017, 06:30 PM

Just not true. All about opinions.

keep the faith
22-04-2017, 06:35 PM

Work rate. Link play. Experience and helping others.

I'm continually amazed at his contribution. Outstanding.

Heisenberg
22-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Work rate. Link play. Experience and helping others.

I'm continually amazed at his contribution. Outstanding.

Amazed at his contribution? Outstanding? Simmer down. He was very good today but has been nowhere near that level for most of the season.

Eyrie
22-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Holt had an excellent game today, but sadly we've not been able to say that often enough for him to be worth a new deal.

Spike Mandela
22-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Hopefully Lennon can source a younger version of Holt for next season.

Fergos
22-04-2017, 07:26 PM
I must need stronger glasses then, and i'm not just judging him on goals? Terrific today, but as Lennon has said, he's sick of them just turning up when they want, and he's as bad as anyone in that.

If he did that every week, i'd be saying the opposite.

The crux of the issue is that we have had to play him more than he's able to at his age owing to a lack of options.

If he was used more sparingly I'm pretty sure we would all want him to stay for another year.

He was excellent today and has been, as mentioned by others, in a lot of the bigger games this season.

We were unlucky today but paid the price for coming out of the traps too slowly, something I'm confident NL will address this coming close season.

Heeds up everybody, It's still great being a Hibby.

GGTTH

Baldy Foghorn
22-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Amazed at his contribution? Outstanding? Simmer down. He was very good today but has been nowhere near that level for most of the season.

Guy is entitled to his opinion. FWIW GH is nowhere near as bad as he is portrayed on here. Don't see his defensive side getting criticised, because he is damn well good at that.

Eyrie
22-04-2017, 07:35 PM
The crux of the issue is that we have had to play him more than he's able to at his age owing to a lack of options.

If he was used more sparingly I'm pretty sure we would all want him to stay for another year.

He was excellent today and has been, as mentioned by others, in a lot of the bigger games this season.

We were unlucky today but paid the price for coming out of the traps too slowly, something I'm confident NL will address this coming close season.

Heeds up everybody, It's still great being a Hibby.

GGTTH

Holt hasn't been overplayed. He's been a regular in the team because he's a better partner for Cummings than Boyle or Keatings, and a better player than Graham. He's also been willing to work hard for the team, which is part of the reason why he hasn't scored many goals - too often he's twenty yards behind play because he's out on the wing or still in midfield. If he'd concentrated on playing as a striker, he'd have scored more and set up more and that's what I want from a forward.

Hi Heid Yin
22-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Holt was brilliant today, and demonstrated big time how much he can bring and has brought to our title-winning team.

He has a presence and a physicality that defenders don't like. He can mix it up and unsettle the opposition like no other in our squad.

Granted, he could score more, but I for one would love to see him playing for us next season when those stuffy teams come calling.

JimboHibs
22-04-2017, 07:39 PM
He was immense today had Aberdeen in bits when he came on,wouldn't be upset at giving him another year.

Fergos
22-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Holt hasn't been overplayed. He's been a regular in the team because he's a better partner for Cummings than Boyle or Keatings, and a better player than Graham. He's also been willing to work hard for the team, which is part of the reason why he hasn't scored many goals - too often he's twenty yards behind play because he's out on the wing or still in midfield. If he'd concentrated on playing as a striker, he'd have scored more and set up more and that's what I want from a forward.

Your opinion and I respect that.

I would have preferred another striker signed in Jan with GH being used as and when required.

GGTTH

B.H.F.C
22-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Guy is entitled to his opinion. FWIW GH is nowhere near as bad as he is portrayed on here. Don't see his defensive side getting criticised, because he is damn well good at that.

I also don't think he's as good as some make out.

Outstanding today. Outstanding against Hearts earlier in the competition. But how often can it really be said that he's been outstanding over the course of the season. Not that often.

Heisenberg
22-04-2017, 07:47 PM

He is of course entitled to his opinion. Holt can be as good as he was today but for whatever reason he's been nowhere near it for large parts of the season.

Eyrie
22-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Your opinion and I respect that.

I would have preferred another striker signed in Jan with GH being used as and when required.

GGTTH

I'm sure that respecting someone's different opinion is a breach of .net etiquette based on most of the posts on here :wink:

I'd agree about January and using Holt as a back up. I'd think he's on too high a wage to be on the bench however, at least for next season when we could invest that wage in someone who offers more goals.

churchie16
22-04-2017, 07:54 PM
He is of course entitled to his opinion. Holt can be as good as he was today but for whatever reason he's been nowhere near it for large parts of the season.

Today there was more playing the ball to his feet/chest which brings the best in him even for the first goal brilliant play from Boyle and Boyle puts the ball in front of him his 2 noticble goals for us is one into his feet against hearts and today a superb ball in front of him which hasn't happened most of the season play him the right way he can be a asset to us next year does a lot of work for Cummings and the team worth another year just my opinion of course mon the cabbage

22-04-2017, 08:02 PM
IMO he should have started. He gave us a chance to get the ball out, scored and gave their players a hard time all round. Would like to see him try to lose some weight and get fitter, so that he can contribute more often.

Exactly. If players of Holt's age want to squeeze out another season or two at any sort of decent level then they need to be in very good shape, like Kenny Miller, or like Ryan Giggs was.

If Holt is with us next year he shouldn't have a win bonus, it should be a weight/fitness bonus.

I'd be happy to see him stay but would think he'll get a lot less game time unless he gets in better shape.

Baldy Foghorn
22-04-2017, 08:06 PM
Exactly. If players of Holt's age want to squeeze out another season or two at any sort of decent level then they need to be in very good shape, like Kenny Miller, or like Ryan Giggs was.

If Holt is with us next year he shouldn't have a win bonus, it should be a weight/fitness bonus.

I'd be happy to see him stay but would think he'll get a lot less game time unless he gets in better shape.

Seen him close up last week. he ain't overweight, he is ripped....Still you must be an athlete eh?:rolleyes:

madhatter
22-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Seen him close up last week. he ain't overweight, he is ripped....Still you must be an athlete eh?:rolleyes:

Holt is definitely in better shape than people think. He wasn't when he first came to be fair but I agree he is very close to the "ripped" title now.

They look overweight because of their bulk. In fairness McGregor looks chunky, I guess the athletes in our fan base will say he's had too many pick a mix sweets though:wink:

Why did you see Holt up close and how were you able to determine his physical prowess?:rolleyes:

Hi Heid Yin
22-04-2017, 08:24 PM
I also don't think he's as good as some make out.

Outstanding today. Outstanding against Hearts earlier in the competition. But how often can it really be said that he's been outstanding over the course of the season. Not that often.

How often did Holt play in games that we drew and in previous seasons would likely have lost?
His presence and physicality, I do believe, contributed significantly to our losing only 3 league games all season, during which we accumulated enough points to have secured the title with 3 games to spare.
He does not have to have been 'outstanding' but simply effective enough to 'make the difference' to us becoming champions and not play-off contenders.

RoscoHibby
22-04-2017, 08:33 PM
To the Holt haters on here, and there is a few, what did you think of mixu or brewster when they were lucky enough to pull on the green?

Too many folk on here sitting watching barca, Real Madrid and playing Fifa to appreciate just a good footballer and what they do. It's a team game. And good teams have a bit of everything about them. He's no the quickest and spends too much time too deep for me, but if you can't see what Holt has brought to the team all season I despair for you.

22-04-2017, 08:33 PM
Fair point re him not being in as bad shape as he might appear, due to his bulk. Just saying there's room for improvement. I was probably being a bit unfair with some of my comments (I'll blame it on the one or two drinks drowing my sorrows 😁).

Got a good look at his physique when he came on at Dunfermline, their fans sang "get your tits out for the lads" and he duly obliged.

Don't include me in with the Holt haters, I appreciate him.

B.H.F.C
22-04-2017, 08:38 PM
How often did Holt play in games that we drew and in previous seasons would likely have lost?
His presence and physicality, I do believe, contributed significantly to our losing only 3 league games all season, during which we accumulated enough points to have secured the title with 3 games to spare.
He does not have to have been 'outstanding' but simply effective enough to 'make the difference' to us becoming champions and not play-off contenders.

We will likely finish this season with less points than the previous two in the championship so I do t think that argument stacks up.

He's done a job at times. The measure of a Hibs striker shouldn't be someone that helps us get draws in the championship. We need major improvement. And that's not just aimed at him. I don't think he's horrific. But I certainly think we need better.

Frogga
22-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Did he do the hulk when he scored?

Baldy Foghorn
22-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Holt is definitely in better shape than people think. He wasn't when he first came to be fair but I agree he is very close to the "ripped" title now.

They look overweight because of their bulk. In fairness McGregor looks chunky, I guess the athletes in our fan base will say he's had too many pick a mix sweets though:wink:

Why did you see Holt up close and how were you able to determine his physical prowess?:rolleyes:

I was talking to him, I can tell if someone is muscly or overweight.

inglisavhibs
22-04-2017, 09:04 PM
We will likely finish this season with less points than the previous two in the championship so I do t think that argument stacks up.

He's done a job at times. The measure of a Hibs striker shouldn't be someone that helps us get draws in the championship. We need major improvement. And that's not just aimed at him. I don't think he's horrific. But I certainly think we need better.

It's irrelevant the number of points we have compared to last season Last season we lost games to our main rivals when it mattered, this season we didn't, only losing to Dundee United once. Our attitude in these games has been the difference and Holt had a big part to play in this.

Hi Heid Yin
22-04-2017, 09:12 PM

Interestingly, I actually think this seasons team is weaker than last season's in pure footballing terms, but it does have a collective grit about it ( as epitomised by Holt) that has seen us come out on top in games against a 'never-say-die, Falkirk. Reverse the results against the Bairns and they would be champions. It's not been pretty most of the time and we have not picked up as many points as in previous seasons, but this really does not matter as no two seasons can truly be compared when 12 teams have changed personnel and/or management.
The 2nd tier this season has been a real dog-fight with lots of draws by most teams. To think that we have come out top in that dog-fight is, for me, satisfying.

I do agree that we need improvements in certain areas in preparation for the SPL, but Lennon will know what type of player he needs to see us through a full campaign.

wookie70
22-04-2017, 09:13 PM
It's irrelevant the number of points we have compared to last season Last season we lost games to our main rivals when it mattered, this season we didn't, only losing to Dundee United once. Our attitude in these games has been the difference and Holt had a big part to play in this.

Given Holt played so much was his attitude poor in the smaller games. He has scored 5 and assisted with 6. He has been very inconsistent and just not done enough imo.

inglisavhibs
22-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Given Holt played so much was his attitude poor in the smaller games. He has scored 5 and assisted with 6. He has been very inconsistent and just not done enough imo.

His attitude has never been poor, and without him promotion might not have happened. Of course he hasn't played well in every game, tell me a striker in Scotland who does. Aberdeen fans slag Rooney but where would they be without him. There is no doubt that Holt is near the end of his career and unfortunately we could never afford a player like him in his prime but he was still a big asset to us this season.

B.H.F.C
22-04-2017, 09:24 PM

That's not been the difference.

When Hearts and The Rangers were in the league we were fine against them.

Against The Rangers last year we won two and lost two against them.

The year before we beat them three times. And us and Hearts took the same points from each other.

Big games have never been the problem. We don't win enough of the 'wee' games and still don't.

dmc1875
22-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Holt is a big game player. Shown against Dundee United, both Hearts games and today this season.

He's better against better opposition.

Should definitely have started and you saw the difference when he came on.

inglisavhibs
22-04-2017, 09:37 PM
That's not been the difference.

When Hearts and The Rangers were in the league we were fine against them.

Against The Rangers last year we won two and lost two against them.

The year before we beat them three times. And us and Hearts took the same points from each other.

Big games have never been the problem. We don't win enough of the 'wee' games and still don't.

Rubbish, we were never in real contention when Hearts and Rangers were in the championship. Last season we lost plenty points against Rangers and Falkirk our main rivals which had we not lost would have made an obvious difference. Had we not lost against Falkirk we would have ended up 2nd and had much more chance in the play offs as winning from 3rd place is unlikely. This season by not losing to our main rivals, has made a difference. We won the league with plenty to spare, but you don't seem to want to give any credit for that?

Captain Trips
22-04-2017, 09:59 PM
GH was excellent today but it has been the exception rather than the rule. I have IMO rightly questioned his overall performances however today he deserves credit. MOTM for me.

essexhibee
22-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Did brilliant when he came on and Dons couldn't handle him.

Not sure will sign another contract. Seems like he misses his family a lot (understandbly) who are back in Norwich so quite a distance away. Can see him staying down south in some capacity.

500miles
23-04-2017, 05:46 AM
Holt would probably expect too much money to play intermittently and from the bench. However, in games where you're dragging the opposition into a battle rather than trying to out class them, he offers a great deal. there was one moment where he was marked by two Aberdeen players at a David Gray throw in, and he pushed them apart like they weren't there.

Lennon should've seen that, if we turned this into a battle like the Hearts game, we've got the beating of anyone in this country. Plus, when Aberdeen were pressing hard on the back five and closing down their options, we had no out ball.

I'll miss the big man if he goes, great character, leader and a big game player.

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Is he only not 6 months older than Ibrahimovic? He's played a lot of football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hfc-1875
23-04-2017, 09:10 AM
I like holt but still unsure wether we should keep him or not. Doesn't score enough but he gives us something different and is a good option off the bench or to start in the more physical games.

Baldy Foghorn
23-04-2017, 09:11 AM
I like holt but still unsure wether we should keep him or not. Doesn't score enough but he gives us something different and is a good option off the bench or to start in the more physical games.

Keep him IMO. Great presence, good for younger players to learn from

hfc-1875
23-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Keep him IMO. Great presence, good for younger players to learn from

Yeah suppose, when u put it like that id probs keep him and cummings and add another striker and get rid of graham and keatings.

Cheshire Hibby
23-04-2017, 10:38 AM
He is reported in today's press as saying he wants another contract but has not yet been offered anything. Anyone know any more?

To deliver...
23-04-2017, 10:49 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/rumour-mill-celtic-eye-man-city-starlet-maddison-to-rangers-holt-wants-hibs-deal-1-4427014

Holt keen on extending Hibs stay Grant Holt came off the bench at Hampden yesterday and sparked a Hibs comeback - and the veteran hitman admitted after the game he’s desperate to stay at Easter Road. Holt said: “Some people have been offered contracts. I’ve not been offered one as yet. The manager has told me he’d like to give me one. I’ve waited eight weeks and the club haven’t offered me anything. He added: “I’m not stupid, I’m 36, I’ve seen clubs go a different direction before. Have I scored enough goals? Probably not. But what I will say is that [Jason Cummings] has scored 20-odd goals and that’s not a fluke.”

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2017, 11:28 AM
As well as he played yesterday, and he did play very well. We need better to be consistently better every week, not just every 4 or 5.

Its the same with a few others too, Boyle is decent enough as a squad player, but we need better quality from wide on both sides, because we dont have great width we play square pegs in round holes with central midfielders asked to play wide.

And because we play players out of position, we then ask our full back to do things they are not that good at.

Get players in who are better than we have now, but the right players for their proper positions.

Holt has been very very average with 2 or 3 very good games, at 36 he's not going to improve on that in my opinion, we just need better.

CockneyRebel
23-04-2017, 11:32 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/rumour-mill-celtic-eye-man-city-starlet-maddison-to-rangers-holt-wants-hibs-deal-1-4427014

Holt keen on extending Hibs stay Grant Holt came off the bench at Hampden yesterday and sparked a Hibs comeback - and the veteran hitman admitted after the game he’s desperate to stay at Easter Road. Holt said: “Some people have been offered contracts. I’ve not been offered one as yet. The manager has told me he’d like to give me one. I’ve waited eight weeks and the club haven’t offered me anything. He added: “I’m not stupid, I’m 36, I’ve seen clubs go a different direction before. Have I scored enough goals? Probably not. But what I will say is that [Jason Cummings] has scored 20-odd goals and that’s not a fluke.”

My missus said much the same after he scored our first goal yesterday.

Heisenberg
23-04-2017, 11:38 AM

I was sure I'd seen Lennon say everyone had been offered something? Holt of yesterday? No question he gets a new deal. Holt from the rest of the season? Not for me. We need someone who performs way more consistently than Holt. We've already got Brian Graham here for another year to warm the bench for us.

23-04-2017, 11:39 AM

I thought all the players whose contracts were up had been offered new ones.

Eyrie
23-04-2017, 11:57 AM
I thought all the players whose contracts were up had been offered new ones.

Based on Holt's comments, it sounds like "all" is an exaggeration.

I'm actually happier to hear that "all" may only mean those players we want to keep and not "every player who is out of contract". The latter runs the risk of committing too much of the budget and not leaving enough for the additional quality that we require to compete for a European place next season.

Stevie Reid
23-04-2017, 01:06 PM

You can judge him on lots of things. Even if he hadn't scored yesterday, he would still have had a great game.

Lago
23-04-2017, 01:08 PM
:top marks
You can judge him on lots of things. Even if he hadn't scored yesterday, he would still have had a great game.

southsider
23-04-2017, 01:09 PM
I'd give him a one year deal

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Snap.Brilliant today

cookin_on_gaz
23-04-2017, 01:19 PM

I hope he stays

Said this pretty much word for word on the new contracts thread and got totally shot down for it. The guy is a big game player, which he has proved against premier opposition this season. Love the big guy and really hope he is here next season for 1 in a row :not worth

inglisavhibs
23-04-2017, 01:50 PM
As well as he played yesterday, and he did play very well. We need better to be consistently better every week, not just every 4 or 5.

Its the same with a few others too, Boyle is decent enough as a squad player, but we need better quality from wide on both sides, because we dont have great width we play square pegs in round holes with central midfielders asked to play wide.

And because we play players out of position, we then ask our full back to do things they are not that good at.

Get players in who are better than we have now, but the right players for their proper positions.

Holt has been very very average with 2 or 3 very good games, at 36 he's not going to improve on that in my opinion, we just need better.
So it's down from a handful to only 2 or 3 good games for Holt. Suppose the next post will suggest yesterday was his only good game.

HAZ2000
23-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Seems strange that Lennon would say to him that he wants to pffer him a deal, only for the club not to do so. Isnt Lennon in charge of offering contracts?

inglisavhibs
23-04-2017, 02:47 PM
Seems strange that Lennon would say to him that he wants to pffer him a deal, only for the club not to do so. Isnt Lennon in charge of offering contracts?

You are getting your clubs mixed up.

Paisley Hibby
23-04-2017, 03:02 PM

Spot on!

HAZ2000
23-04-2017, 03:09 PM
You are getting your clubs mixed up.

:wink:

23-04-2017, 03:53 PM
His kind of game. I would offer him a new 1 year deal and see how he gets on next season in the premiership.

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2017, 04:01 PM
So it's down from a handful to only 2 or 3 good games for Holt. Suppose the next post will suggest yesterday was his only good game.

Morton 4-0, gimps 3-1 and yesterday when he's in my opinion played VERY well, he's been decent in a couple of others, unless you are a yam thats a handful in my house? :confused:

MWHIBBIES
23-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Morton 4-0, gimps 3-1 and yesterday when he's in my opinion played VERY well, he's been decent in a couple of others, unless you are a yam thats a handful in my house? :confused:

Holt was also very important in both wins at Dumbarton, 3-1 at Dunfermline, 3-0 at Ayr, 1-0 away at United, both wins at Falkirk.

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Holt was also very important in both wins at Dumbarton, 3-1 at Dunfermline, 3-0 at Ayr, 1-0 away at United, both wins at Falkirk.

Any win is good, and any win they have all contributed to them. I dont think he's played well enough in many games as i have said, and i'd certainly contest what you would describe as very good compared to mine.

If he's given another contract, then for me we are either skint or Lennon has lost the plot.

Baldy Foghorn
23-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Any win is good, and any win they have all contributed to them. I dont think he's played well enough in many games as i have said, and i'd certainly contest what you would describe as very good compared to mine.

If he's given another contract, then for me we are either skint or Lennon has lost the plot.

Or Lennon thinks he has a part in the squad to play, that you can't see?

keep the faith
23-04-2017, 05:39 PM

Or our manager recognises that he will be invaluable next year and has 3 times the savvy, effort and game awareness of a Brian Graham or perhaps younger players in our budget.
You need to let it go re Holt man. Every thread!

jeffers
23-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Or our manager recognises that he will be invaluable next year and has 3 times the savvy, effort and game awareness of a Brian Graham or perhaps younger players in our budget.
You need to let it go re Holt man. Every thread!
blackpoolhibs is perfectly capable of replying himself to your quote but I think he's spot on. Holt was excellent yesterday and rightly deserves the praise he is getting but that level of performance has been all too rare for him. Yesterday he played as a centre forward, in the box where he should be, not out on the wing or grappling with defenders at the centre circle. He was jumping for balls and winning them, not trying to chest every ball played up to which he attempts in most games. If he had played like he did yesterday in more of his games this season I doubt there would be anyone saying he shouldn't get a contract for next season. Assuming he stays next season we cannot just rely on Jason Cummings to score all our goals, we need another striker who will contribute more than the 3 Grant Holt has managed.

inglisavhibs
23-04-2017, 06:11 PM
I'll ignore the yam comment and just accept that you don't think Holt was a good signing and I disagree. According to you he hasn't played well in any away league games, which is just rubbish. Given our away record the guys round about him must have been playing hell of a well.

Spike Mandela
23-04-2017, 06:17 PM
A step up in league standard and another year older for Grant.

Not for me thanks, but well done yesterday big man.

blackpoolhibs
23-04-2017, 06:58 PM
blackpoolhibs is perfectly capable of replying himself to your quote but I think he's spot on. Holt was excellent yesterday and rightly deserves the praise he is getting but that level of performance has been all too rare for him. Yesterday he played as a centre forward, in the box where he should be, not out on the wing or grappling with defenders at the centre circle. He was jumping for balls and winning them, not trying to chest every ball played up to which he attempts in most games. If he had played like he did yesterday in more of his games this season I doubt there would be anyone saying he shouldn't get a contract for next season. Assuming he stays next season we cannot just rely on Jason Cummings to score all our goals, we need another striker who will contribute more than the 3 Grant Holt has managed.

This is practically word for word what i'd reply to those who have questioned my view. Add on that he's not going to get any better, and having him as 3rd or 4th choice would see him even less fit, i just dont see any benefit in keeping him.

I want a better centre forward than him, and someone who scores goals, it seems that is not important these days from our forwards anymore? :confused: