PDA

View Full Version : Fair play Neil Lennon

Northernhibee
22-04-2017, 01:03 PM
I've slated him in the past and the start today was unacceptable but the spirit we've shown since his change has been fantastic, fluke deflection or not. Well done Neil.

blaikie
22-04-2017, 01:07 PM
We will do well next year under Lennon!

corby hibee
22-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Yes great season, done what we set out for which was promotion. We will be at hampden again next season.

Greenwich_Hibby
22-04-2017, 01:41 PM
I'm not really a Lennon fan but fair play to him for admitting the initial team selection was wrong with no goal threat and he changed it. Well done to Grant Holt too - played well when he come on - we really should never be playing with one-up, it just doesn't work for us.

Pretty Boy
22-04-2017, 01:45 PM
Hopefully he learns we need to start on the front foot against teams next year. The difference with 2 up front was unreal.

ShinyFantastic
22-04-2017, 01:53 PM
This was his fault today, what was he thinking starting with that team.

Great season? Nah, done what was expected unspectacularly and shot ourselves in the foot at our real shot of getting glory and retaining our cup.

Allant1981
22-04-2017, 01:54 PM

Great season? Nah, done what was expected unspectacularly and shot ourselves in the foot at our real shot of getting glory and retaining our cup.

i agree it was the wrong team but that first goal had nothing to do with the team lineup

007 Mickey Weir
22-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Hopefully he comes out and defends Fyvie. That is a confidence killer and was a tactical fault and he took one for the team.

ShinyFantastic
22-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Fanny

Good one, please explain why this is your opinion.

easty
22-04-2017, 01:56 PM

Nah. But I stand by it.

Tricla
22-04-2017, 01:57 PM

Cos your post was fannyish.

High-On-Hibs
22-04-2017, 02:00 PM
The goals we conceded had nothing to do with the starting line up. They were individual errors from players that you don't expect to make those kind of mistakes. Lennon was right in his interview when he said that you cannot legislate for things like that as a manager. A couple of moments of individual madness cost us 2 goals. The 3rd was just sheer luck.

I've been hard on the team in the past for piss poor performances at Hampden, but the way they fought their way back in to the game and took control before that 3rd goal gives me plenty of hope for next season.

houstonhibbee
22-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Hopefully he comes out and defends Fyvie. That is a confidence killer and was a tactical fault and he took one for the team.
Agree it needed changed but Fyvie had to go as he was on a yellow and Beaton was looking for any excuse to give him a second yellow

chrisski33
22-04-2017, 02:02 PM

Ur post was aload of rubbish thats why!

Robinho08
22-04-2017, 02:03 PM
The substitution was the right decision, but Holt should have been on from the start.

Pretty Boy
22-04-2017, 02:03 PM
Love his interview as well.

No gallant loser stuff from him, he's raging at the players for that start.

houstonhibbee
22-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Love his interview as well.

No gallant loser stuff from him, he's raging at the players for that start.
anyone post the interview?

007 Mickey Weir
22-04-2017, 02:07 PM
The substitution was the right decision, but Holt should have been on from the start.

I agree. Fyvie and Bartley together was the wrong decision and until we changed that we were tactically poor.

hibee_girl
22-04-2017, 02:07 PM

:agree:

It was obvious to anyone at the game last weekend that Jason cannot play upfront on his own

ooh2G
22-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Cos your post was fannyish.

I have to disagree. A sobering bolt of reality. No-one deserves to be called names for having an opinion different to the happy clappers.

The championship has seen us settle for draws that should have been wins, and today ended up being a brave rescue mission of our own making.

I'm proud of the team today, they really dug deep, and I'm extremely proud of the fans' conduct today. Don't ruin it by slinging mud at fellow fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stantonhibby
22-04-2017, 02:29 PM

When you lose a goal after 12 secs then everything goes out the window so hard to say it was the wrong tactics

California-Hibs
22-04-2017, 02:30 PM

Away and stop talking rubbish!

Oscar T Grouch
22-04-2017, 02:35 PM
anyone post the interview?

https://mobile.twitter.com/mixudave/status/855779427661250561

lord bunberry
22-04-2017, 02:53 PM
The main reason we're out the cup is because Lennon got it wrong today. He'll get away with it this season, but he'd be getting dogs abuse in any other season.
I don't want to sound anti Lennon as I'm not, but he got it really badly wrong. On a more positive note he had the tactical nous to change things when it obviously wasn't working.
It's job done this season, but it didn't need to end today.

ekhibee
22-04-2017, 03:00 PM
It was a strange game in many respects. For the first half hour I thought we were really poor, but from the second we scored the first goal I thought we were by far the better team. I'm looking forward to playing Aberdeen when we go up, as far as I'm concerned after we scored they looked scared, and it was a flukey deflection that won it. Hayes is a cheating little diver as well. The McGeouch goal was brilliant.

Northernhibee
22-04-2017, 03:05 PM
The main reason we're out the cup is because Lennon got it wrong today. He'll get away with it this season, but he'd be getting dogs abuse in any other season.
I don't want to sound anti Lennon as I'm not, but he got it really badly wrong. On a more positive note he had the tactical nous to change things when it obviously wasn't working.

Kind of feel a little this way too but not to the same extent, he got it wrong to begin with, the change was required and we showed great spirit to fight back.

A little disappointed that he's not taken more responsibility for starting with the wrong team but grateful that he made the right change which got us back in it.

Billy Whizz
22-04-2017, 03:05 PM

Bollocks! Maybe tactics weren't spot on, but you can only blame the players for the 1st 2 Aberdeen goals, nothing to do with tactics!

lord bunberry
22-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Bollocks! Maybe tactics weren't spot on, but you can only blame the players for the 1st 2 Aberdeen goals, nothing to do with tactics!

I'm not blaming tactics or formation for the first two goals, I'm blaming them for not being in the game until he changed it. The difference was as clear as anything I've ever seen at a football match. How anyone could've watched that and not thought the same is beyond me.

snooky
22-04-2017, 03:11 PM

While I would never play with one up in a cup semi, I think NL's tactics were build around that. Losing the early goal blew his tactical game out the water.
He had the courage to change his game plan in time to make a comeback. (How many times have we screamed for changes during a game while previous managers stared into space?) Mickey Stewart pointed out the change was in motion five or more minutes before it actually happened with Holt being told to warm up.

My only gripe was that we sat back a bit and let them settle after Shinnie came on following our 2nd goal. We should have been on top of them in their own half instead of letting them knock it about and build from there.

cleanyman
22-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Too negative from the off for me. Next time we will play like champions

houstonhibbee
22-04-2017, 03:13 PM
While I would never play with one up in a cup semi, I think NL's tactics were build around that. Losing the early goal blew his tactical game out the water.
He had the courage to change his game plan in time to make a comeback. (How many times have we screamed for changes during a game while previous managers stared into space?) Mickey Stewart pointed out the change was in motion five or more minutes before it actually happened with Holt being told to warm up.

My only gripe was that we sat back a bit and let them settle after Shinnie came on following our 2nd goal. We should have been on top of them in their own half instead of letting them knock it about and build from there.
we lost control when McGeough went off

lord bunberry
22-04-2017, 03:14 PM

I agree losing the early goal didn't help us, but even allowing for that we were all over the place in the first half hour. We barely got out of our own half.

neil7908
22-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Never again can we start with 4 central midfielders on the pitch at the same time.

We need to buy the right players over summer to ensure we have balance in the team. Unfortunately someone like Fyvie or Bartley may have to leave as we need to stop shoehorning players into the team.

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Never again can we start with 4 central midfielders on the pitch at the same time.

We need to buy the right players over summer to ensure we have balance in the team. Unfortunately someone like Fyvie or Bartley may have to leave as we need to stop shoehorning players into the team.

Absolutely spot on.

snooky
22-04-2017, 03:19 PM

Actually up to his goal, I thought Dylan was actually quite subdued. I prefer him in r-mid.

Weststandwanab
22-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Fanny

Really ?

Get over it, the team competed well after a couple of errors and an unfortunate piece of luck.

Nah. But I stand by it.

Delusional at best

Agree it needed changed but Fyvie had to go as he was on a yellow and Beaton was looking for any excuse to give him a second yellow

Correct.

Well if the boy is injured would you prefer he stayed on the park and crocked ?

Greenwich_Hibby
22-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Absolutely spot on.

Nor play with one up - it never works for us and in my opinion it gave the initiative to Aberdeen before a ball was kicked. Here's hoping for more balance in the side next year. Understand NL's frustration but felt he should have taken a bit of responsibility tbh...

wookie70
22-04-2017, 03:36 PM
Lennon can obviously do no wrong in some fans eyes.

I listened to the interview on Sportsound and at no point did he take any portion of the blame. He sent out a team that was set up to be on the back foot from the start and so it turned out. The difference to the Cup Final where we were knocking The Rangers players off the ball from the kick off and right in their faces was enormous.

At no point have Bartley and Fyvie played well in the same team. In some ways you would be better off with 10 men as they constantly look to fill the same space. It confuses the whole midfield. I can't remember Boyle and Cummings working as a pairing either but I have no idea where Boyle was meant to be playing today before Holt came on. It looked like right wing with Cummings up top on his own but surely we couldn't have set up that way. The shape on paper looked terrible to me and so it turned out. We had no out ball, predictable. We were getting in each other's way in midfield, predictable and the players took to the park on the back foot, given the shape predictable. I appreciate I am being harsh but it boils my pee when managers, football or otherwise, take no responsibilities for their actions and that has been Lennon's MO for pretty much the whole season.

Well done for him changing it but if you listen to him on the radio he blames everything on the players, the slow start, McGinn being caught, Daz sleeping, the wall breaking up etc etc and then waxes lyrical about his change and Holt. Lennon says the players never took any responsibility, pot and kettle, and were hesitant. Maybe that has something to do with changing the team again after a winning performance and playing partnership that never look like working. At least it wasn't the fault of the pitch this week

I have no issue with saying Lennon did the right thing bringing a sub on and taking Fyvie off but the reason was more about his selection than the team and his formation that individual performances. How can one man coming on all of a sudden make everyone play better unless it is the formation change.

The press and most of our fans seem to lap up Lennon's fighting talk and not accepting the result as unlucky but stating it was our own fault. I have no issue with that as it was our fault, we were a shambles for the first two goals and not much better for the third. I like that he wants to push us on but he is incredibly critical of our players without accepting he may be part of the problem too. He picks and motivates the team and decides on the shape we play.

To me there was a cause for the poor performance and it was lack of preparation and poor formation. We had the kick off. That is a set piece and we had nothing planned. We start slowly, yes the players must accept some responsibility, but it is the manager's job to get them focused, motivated and clear on the task in hand. The wall breaks up at the free kick - why are there players in there that won't man up and stand their ground.

I am happy with the way we came back and we are very unfortunate to lose but I am sick fed up of Lennon blaming everything on the players. That is not leadership. Leadership would have been saying I made a mistake with the formation and personnel and knew that I needed to change things. I did that early and it worked but by then we were already two down. We matched them on the day but it wasn't to be and I will have to take my share of the blame for the poor start we had in the game.

ancient hibee
22-04-2017, 03:37 PM
For all we know the tactics may have been to keep the game tight for the first half and a bit and then change it.Throwing two goals into the net saw the end of that.

Ray_
22-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Nor play with one up - it never works for us and in my opinion it gave the initiative to Aberdeen before a ball was kicked. Here's hoping for more balance in the side next year. Understand NL's frustration but felt he should have taken a bit of responsibility tbh...

Not for me. The goals didn't come from how we were set up, individual errors that were so costly, so he was bang on. I was delighted to see a manager change things so early when plan "A" didn't work. Not taking responsibility is not changing things and hoping for the best, seen far too much of that in my time at ER.

Ray_
22-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Lennon can obviously do no wrong in some fans eyes.

I listened to the interview on Sportsound and at no point did he take any portion of the blame. He sent out a team that was set up to be on the back foot from the start and so it turned out. The difference to the Cup Final where we were knocking The Rangers players off the ball from the kick off and right in their faces was enormous.

At no point have Bartley and Fyvie played well in the same team. In some ways you would be better off with 10 men as they constantly look to fill the same space. It confuses the whole midfield. I can't remember Boyle and Cummings working as a pairing either but I have no idea where Boyle was meant to be playing today before Holt came on. It looked like right wing with Cummings up top on his own but surely we couldn't have set up that way. The shape on paper looked terrible to me and so it turned out. We had no out ball, predictable. We were getting in each other's way in midfield, predictable and the players took to the park on the back foot, given the shape predictable. I appreciate I am being harsh but it boils my pee when managers, football or otherwise, take no responsibilities for their actions and that has been Lennon's MO for pretty much the whole season.

Well done for him changing it but if you listen to him on the radio he blames everything on the players, the slow start, McGinn being caught, Daz sleeping, the wall breaking up etc etc and then waxes lyrical about his change and Holt. Lennon says the players never took any responsibility, pot and kettle, and were hesitant. Maybe that has something to do with changing the team again after a winning performance and playing partnership that never look like working. At least it wasn't the fault of the pitch this week

I have no issue with saying Lennon did the right thing bringing a sub on and taking Fyvie off but the reason was more about his selection than the team and his formation that individual performances. How can one man coming on all of a sudden make everyone play better unless it is the formation change.

The press and most of our fans seem to lap up Lennon's fighting talk and not accepting the result as unlucky but stating it was our own fault. I have no issue with that as it was our fault, we were a shambles for the first two goals and not much better for the third. I like that he wants to push us on but he is incredibly critical of our players without accepting he may be part of the problem too. He picks and motivates the team and decides on the shape we play.

To me there was a cause for the poor performance and it was lack of preparation and poor formation. We had the kick off. That is a set piece and we had nothing planned. We start slowly, yes the players must accept some responsibility, but it is the manager's job to get them focused, motivated and clear on the task in hand. The wall breaks up at the free kick - why are there players in there that won't man up and stand their ground.

I am happy with the way we came back and we are very unfortunate to lose but I am sick fed up of Lennon blaming everything on the players. That is not leadership. Leadership would have been saying I made a mistake with the formation and personnel and knew that I needed to change things. I did that early and it worked but by then we were already two down. We matched them on the day but it wasn't to be and I will have to take my share of the blame for the poor start we had in the game.

Look at the goals conceded, says it all about the players responsibility.

SlickShoes
22-04-2017, 03:43 PM
I'll back our manager and our players but the blame for the start rests with the players and no one else.

While I am not a fan of how we initially set up, this had no bearing on the goals at all while the players making stupid decisions did.

The first goal, McGinn is trying to be messi and beat 5 players from the centre, bartley wins it back, panic over and then mcgregor makes a horrible pass that ambrose can do nothing about.

The second goal came from a terrible tackle from Fyvie, a wall that parted, a man on the post that done nothing and then a keeper beaten at his nearpost.

Both were a calamity.

The tactics go out the window when those things happen as I think half the team went into survival mode and forgot they were even capable of winning until Lennon changed it and brought holt on.

wookie70
22-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Take the goals away from the first half hour and would anyone say the formation was working. We hardly got a touch and were all over the place. Yes the first goal would have knocked us back a bit but there were still 89 minutes to play we weren't exactly out of it at that point. What amazes me is that Lennon chose to go on the back foot. He has been brave for the most part in the big games and we have looked up for it from the start in lots of these games. To me playing 5 across the middle if that was what it was gives the message that Aberdeen are better than us. They certainly looked that way until we decided to stand up to them and attack them on our terms.

I don't expect Lennon to say it is all his fault but for him to not accept any blame is poor in my book. I don't want my manager hiding behind the players I want him up front taking the first blow. Easy to say he doesn't want to be a gallant loser when he accepts no part of the loss as his fault.

ancient hibee
22-04-2017, 03:51 PM
He doesn't want to be a gallant loser because none of the goals were due to his actions whereas nearly winning it was.

Smartie
22-04-2017, 03:51 PM
Lennon is spot on with his comments and criticism.

I don't think he did get his tactics wrong. Chucking 2 goals in as we did will scuttle most game plans. It was refreshing to see a manager make an early change that proved effective.

I think he should have given a bit of praise to the players who dug in and turned their performances around though rather than just focus on the negatives. Bartley for one was lost for half an hour then went on to have a very good game.

wookie70
22-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Look at the goals conceded, says it all about the players responsibility.

Or the player's mindset which can be effected greatly before a ball is kicked by the way the manager sets the team up and plans the tactics. Was Holt coming on a mental lift that started us performing almost immediately or were the player immediately more comfortable in their roles. I'm not sure how one sub can make such a difference to a team. Surely if all the players were having a shocker for the first half and hour bringing one sub on wouldn't make such a dramatic difference.

SlickShoes
22-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Or the player's mindset which can be effected greatly before a ball is kicked by the way the manager sets the team up and plans the tactics. Was Holt coming on a mental lift that started us performing almost immediately or were the player immediately more comfortable in their roles. I'm not sure how one sub can make such a difference to a team. Surely if all the players were having a shocker for the first half and hour bringing one sub on wouldn't make such a dramatic difference.

Have you watched the goals back? I don't know any way the manager can be at fault for either of them, they are consistent terrible individual errors that should not happen.

We don't know what his tactics even really were because the team went into panic mode after 12 seconds.

It was clear we needed a larger person up front with Jason so Holt came on and made a huge difference as it stopped Aberdeen simply mopping up our long balls. Initially it looked like we were going to try breaking down the wings but who knows because the plans were scuttled after 12 seconds, once the players are on the pitch its very hard to make any significant tactical change before half time.

Ray_
22-04-2017, 03:59 PM

We can hold their hand and take them for a pee as well if you want. We were playing in a cup semi, defending a trophy that we had won so famously the previous year and the poor little bunny's mindset was not strong enough. Sorry, I don't buy that.

houstonhibbee
22-04-2017, 04:01 PM
We can hold their hand and take them for a pee as well if you want. We were playing in a cup semi, defending a trophy that we had won so famously the previous year and the poor little bunny's mindset was not strong enough. Sorry, I don't buy that.
Lennon is quite right to be absolutely furious with the way we started.........

lord bunberry
22-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Have you watched the goals back? I don't know any way the manager can be at fault for either of them, they are consistent terrible individual errors that should not happen.

We don't know what his tactics even really were because the team went into panic mode after 12 seconds.

It was clear we needed a larger person up front with Jason so Holt came on and made a huge difference as it stopped Aberdeen simply mopping up our long balls. Initially it looked like we were going to try breaking down the wings but who knows because the plans were scuttled after 12 seconds, once the players are on the pitch its very hard to make any significant tactical change before half time.
It's not just the goals it's the overall play up until the change of formation that was the problem. The players have to take responsibility for the first half hour, but Lennon also has to take his considerable share of the blame.
Bartley and Fyvie should never have started together b

Borderhibbie76
22-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Fanny
This 100%

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
22-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Fyvie was anonymous for the opening half hour...his form since new year has been dreadful

Borderhibbie76
22-04-2017, 04:12 PM

I'd let fyvie go mate him and Bartley should never be in same team together

HFCdeb
22-04-2017, 04:23 PM
I'll back our manager and our players but the blame for the start rests with the players and no one else.

While I am not a fan of how we initially set up, this had no bearing on the goals at all while the players making stupid decisions did.

The first goal, McGinn is trying to be messi and beat 5 players from the centre, bartley wins it back, panic over and then mcgregor makes a horrible pass that ambrose can do nothing about.

The second goal came from a terrible tackle from Fyvie, a wall that parted, a man on the post that done nothing and then a keeper beaten at his nearpost.

Both were a calamity.

The tactics go out the window when those things happen as I think half the team went into survival mode and forgot they were even capable of winning until Lennon changed it and brought holt on.

Nail on head. Exactly as I see it, too.

high bee
22-04-2017, 04:31 PM
The team have been cruising for weeks and it took 30 mins for them to wake up and match much better opposition than we've been used to.

Looks like Lennons game plan was to keep it tight and hit them on the break (as well as play a team they wouldn't have expected or likely planned tactics against), unfortunately when we concede in 12 seconds that plan is toast. Fair play to him that he changed it early cause I feared a cricket score going by how poor we were. On another day (given our defensive strength) we would've caught them on the back foot with our tactics and lineup and won the game.

wookie70
22-04-2017, 04:40 PM
The team have been cruising for weeks and it took 30 mins for them to wake up and match much better opposition than we've been used to.

Looks like Lennons game plan was to keep it tight and hit them on the break (as well as play a team they wouldn't have expected or likely planned tactics against), unfortunately when we concede in 12 seconds that plan is toast. Fair play to him that he changed it early cause I feared a cricket score going by how poor we were. On another day (given our defensive strength) we would've caught them on the back foot with our tactics and lineup and won the game.

The plan didn't change after 12 seconds and neither did the way we played. We set up to keep it tight as you say or sit back as I would call it. That is completely different to pretty much every game we have played this year. It looked more like we didn't expect to play that way rather than Aberdeen having an issue with it. The change in formation caused the change in the flow of the game. Either that or Lennon waved a wand and we all of a sudden started looking more comfortable on the ball. Is it just a coincidence our play improved dramatically when the formation changed.

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2017, 05:11 PM

Yip, playing Cummings on his own up against their central defenders was daft. Cummings has hardly had a ball stick thats been played up to him since the hearts game at easter road.

Quite why he thought today would be any different is baffling.

Lennon's right about losers, and we did contribute to today's defeat, but we also showed a real bit of spirit to get back into the game.

If Lennon is going to dig the team out, then he does need to look at his own contribution which was clearly wrong from the start, and contributed to handing them the initiative.

Lago
22-04-2017, 05:43 PM
I've slated him in the past and the start today was unacceptable but the spirit we've shown since his change has been fantastic, fluke deflection or not. Well done Neil.
Gosh:aok:

DarlingtonHibee
22-04-2017, 05:48 PM
Yip, playing Cummings on his own up against their central defenders was daft. Cummings has hardly had a ball stick thats been played up to him since the hearts game at easter road.

Quite why he thought today would be any different is baffling.

Lennon's right about losers, and we did contribute to today's defeat, but we also showed a real bit of spirit to get back into the game.

If Lennon is going to dig the team out, then he does need to look at his own contribution which was clearly wrong from the start, and contributed to handing them the initiative.

After last week it was always going to be a difficult week. Loved the Jason C video, but to me they looked a bit unprepared when they came out.

wookie70
22-04-2017, 06:01 PM
After last week it was always going to be a difficult week. Loved the Jason C video, but to me they looked a bit unprepared when they came out.

Looked either scared, nervous or too relaxed but definitely not prepared.

chrisski33
22-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Always gonna be a hard game to win and tbh its bull***** to question lennon as the goals we lost were down to the players plus he changed his tactics and brought Holt on which made an instant difference. Theres been other Hibs managers who have taken too long to make changes. Some folk just wont be happy with lennon tbh. Whats the point in glorifing failure?

DarlingtonHibee
22-04-2017, 06:21 PM
We all saw how well Holt has done in the big games. Guess it was Lennys call, but Jason was exposed.