PDA

View Full Version : Dion - Runaround Sue

California-Hibs
20-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Watching on HibsTV last weekend and I could hear it loud and clear coming through the TV when the DJ played this and everyone gave it -

'HIBS! HIBS! Oooohooooh HIBS! HIBS!'

Thought it was superb work by the DJ. Sounded great as it's a very catchy song anyway!

👍

hibbysam
20-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Watching on HibsTV last weekend and I could hear it loud and clear coming through the TV when the DJ played this and everyone gave it -

Thought it was superb work by the DJ. Sounded great as it's a very catchy song anyway!

👍

It's the Hibs version that gets played over the tannoy.

snooky
20-04-2017, 09:39 AM

👍
Doug Sheldon had a hit with the same song at the same time. His was the usual British cover version.

CMurdoch
20-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Doug Sheldon had a hit with the same song at the same time. His was the usual British cover version.

The usual pointless cover version?

MB62
20-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Here's our story, a fact it's true
About a budge that we all knew
She took their cash then ran around
Laughing at every single Yam in town

oooh Hibs, Hibs

Danderhall Hibs
20-04-2017, 11:16 AM
It's the Hibs version that gets played over the tannoy.

No it isn't?

hibbysam
20-04-2017, 11:28 AM
No it isn't?

Yes, it is. It's the preview that Graeme Hunter gave the club before the Hearts cup tie that gets played.

Aubenas
20-04-2017, 11:33 AM
I'm so old I remember the original version which was by Del Shannon

https://youtu.be/8MpMXuEHpb4

RoscoHibby
20-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Listened to this a few times this week! Loving it, for obvious reasons!

we are hibs
20-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Yes, it is. It's the preview that Graeme Hunter gave the club before the Hearts cup tie that gets played.

It isn't. The original gets played.

we are hibs
20-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Wonder if this will get played before the game on Saturday. Usually get a song each played. Think United had beautiful Sunday last season and we had I'm on my way and we had the same before the final and rangers had penny arcade

Danderhall Hibs
20-04-2017, 11:55 AM

Only played that at the derby I think. Every other week it's been the proper version.

Onceinawhile
20-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Was definitely the proper version v qots.

greenlex
20-04-2017, 12:04 PM
Only played that at the derby I think. Every other week it's been the proper version.

This.

Lancs Harp
20-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Original or not original, this thread highlights either how much like the original the non original is or how bad our tannoy system really is. :greengrin

jgl07
20-04-2017, 01:01 PM

Your memory is playing tricks with you.

The song was written by Dion DiMucci and Ernie Maresca and was a US number one for Dion in October 1961.

It was subsequently covered by many others.

snooky
20-04-2017, 01:06 PM

Aren't you thinking of "Runaway"?
Different song altogether.

jgl07
20-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Aren't you thinking of "Runaway"?
Different song altogether.

That's the one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMufLXrFIg8

SanFranHibs
20-04-2017, 01:32 PM

Think the original, co-written by Dion and Ernie Maresca, was by Dion in 1961 although Del Shannons Runaround Sue, not to be confused with his Runaway, followed close after, possibly on Del Shannons Runaway album of 1961. Co-incidentally the B-Side of Dions Runaround Sue was Runaway Girl.

Runaround Sue, Runaway, Runaway Girl. These guys had even less luck keeping their girls than I have :greengrin

But from Wikipedia...

Other cover versions
In 1980, English group Racey released a cover version which reached number 13 on the UK charts.
John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band covered the song in 1983, for the movie Eddie and the Cruisers.
Gary Glitter also covered it on C'mon... C'mon The Gary Glitter Party Album (1997).
G-Eazy sampled the song in his 2011 album The Endless Summer.[13][14]
Human Nature covered the song on their 2014 album Jukebox.
Hibernian FC fans have used the songs backing track to their own lyrics from May 2016.

On a tangent, in 1990/91 whilst living in Inverness working for the Highland Council I used to give a couple of songs proper meaning. Bowies 'Young Hibernian' and Dexys 'Come On Hibees', the former which I had a whole little goal by goal of the 0-7 in the section where Bowie gets a little excited. Who wouldn't? I actually had a friend up there who told me he was pissed as he said he found himself sing Young Hibernian anytime he heard the song. If only I could come up with something original.

Which one of you added the Wikipedia Hibs Runaround Sue entry?

:flag::flag:

Johnny Clash
20-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Think the original, co-written by Dion and Ernie Maresca, was by Dion in 1961 although Del Shannons Runaround Sue, not to be confused with his Runaway, followed close after, possibly on Del Shannons Runaway album of 1961. Co-incidentally the B-Side of Dions Runaround Sue was Runaway Girl.

Runaround Sue, Runaway, Runaway Girl. These guys had even less luck keeping their girls than I have :greengrin

But from Wikipedia...

On a tangent, in 1990/91 whilst living in Inverness working for the Highland Council I used to give a couple of songs proper meaning. Bowies 'Young Hibernian' and Dexys 'Come On Hibees', the former which I had a whole little goal by goal of the 0-7 in the section where Bowie gets a little excited. Who wouldn't? I actually had a friend up there who told me he was pissed as he said he found himself sing Young Hibernian anytime he heard the song. If only I could come up with something original.

'Young Hibernian' great idea bro

:thumbsup:

Aubenas
20-04-2017, 01:39 PM

But from Wikipedia...

Stand corrected. Saw a duff link crediting Del Shannon with it in 1955. However, it is Shannon's version I remember from my ancient youth 😀

Johnny Clash
20-04-2017, 01:41 PM

Think you're right. Seem to remember the tempo was a slight problem but always hard to nail as fans tend to sing a bit faster. What sounds good on YouTube isn't always best for a 'live' sing-a-long.

Dion's version seems fine though.

SanFranHibs
20-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Stand corrected. Saw a duff link crediting Del Shannon with it in 1955. However, it is Shannon's version I remember from my ancient youth 😀

Actually I only looked it up because I did not know Del Shannon recorded it. Not a bad version.

Nevi_SOL
20-04-2017, 03:15 PM
It's gone quiet down gorgie
They're no laughing noooo
They're struggling in the top 6
And we're going for 2