PDA

View Full Version : When and why did you become a Hibee?

19-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Interested to find out how fellow fans became Hibees. Thru family, local club, irish connection?

I became a Hibee at the age of 8 after being given free tickets by Andy McNeil and Ian Murray when they came to my primary in 2008. I went with my Dad who came from a Rangers/Hearts family v St Mirren we won 2-0 😊😊. I bought my first strip that day. I then got told by my Dad that Hibs had a strong Irish connection and that made it a no brainer for me to become a Hibee as my Mum and her family are all from the republic and I have always tended to embrace my Irishness ahead of my unfortunate Orange connection, would love to hear stories of how people became a Hibee and if anyone has a similar story to mine 💚

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

GreenLake
19-04-2017, 08:46 PM
I was raised a jambo but my grandfather was a Hibs man and he enlightened me over to the green side. I was able to have the 6th finger removed from each hand at a fairly young age so it's hard for anyone to notice the stumps.

heidtheba
19-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Interested to find out how fellow fans became Hibees. Thru family, local club, irish connection?

I became a Hibee at the age of 8 after being given free tickets by Andy McNeil and Ian Murray when they came to my primary in 2008. I went with my Dad who came from a Rangers/Hearts family v St Mirren we won 2-0 😊😊. I bought my first strip that day. I then got told by my Dad that Hibs had a strong Irish connection and that made it a no brainer for me to become a Hibee as my Mum and her family are all from the republic and I have always tended to embrace my Irishness ahead of my unfortunate Orange connection, would love to hear stories of how people became a Hibee and if anyone has a similar story to mine 💚

A friend of mine took me to ER as a birthday present. We were at uni together and I was hooked. We lost 3-4 to Rangers in January 93. I got a season ticket the next year and that was me. I've not been able to go (and Mrs Me isn't fussed) but I follow on here.

I've got a funny feeling I was in a school where these two players rocked up for an assembly too!

Earlydelivery
19-04-2017, 08:50 PM
My family came from Ireland , lived in cowgate (candlemakers row) . Then moved to lochend .
could see the floodlights from the bottom of the garden . No brainer !!!

hibby6270
I was 4 years old. My dad took me to see Dundee at ER in Oct 1962. He never said at the time why it was that game. I never asked either but now wish I had, just to confirm what I've found out since.
My dad lived through the Famous Five years and I found out recently that Gordon Smith was playing for Dundee that day. Probably the reason my dad took me, and of course, probably a wee nostalgia trip for him as well, seeing his Hibee hero play again at ER.

Anyway, it was a 2-2 draw that day. I guess there have been better results since then and I've seen most of them. And yes, I've seen a few bad ones as well.

But once a Hibby, always a Hibby. GGTTH

A friend of mine took me to ER as a birthday present. We were at uni together and I was hooked. We lost 3-4 to Rangers in January 93. I got a season ticket the next year and that was me. I've not been able to go (and Mrs Me isn't fussed) but I follow on here.

I've got a funny feeling I was in a school where these two players rocked up for an assembly too!
They came into my primary 4 class something for the evening news all 90 primary 4's got 2 free tickets 😂 so it put bums on seats in the famous 5 for sure. There was a few Hibees in that year who made the front page in the evening news that day haha

heidtheba
19-04-2017, 09:02 PM
They came into my primary 4 class something for the evening news all 90 primary 4's got 2 free tickets 😂 so it put bums on seats in the famous 5 for sure. There was a few Hibees in that year who made the front page in the evening news that day haha

Ah, I missed out then - I was further up the school. Boo.

Dunbar Hibee
19-04-2017, 09:03 PM
Weeks old when my mother took me to Easter Road. Whole family are Hibees, it's in my blood. Wouldn't change it for a thing.

Topographic Hibby
19-04-2017, 09:09 PM
Interested to find out how fellow fans became Hibees.

Born and raised in Leith, Lochend and Easter Road. Went to Leith Academy, could see the ground from my bedroom window. My dad and his dad were died in the wool supporters. My grandfather had a shop on Easter Road and dad worked in Leith. My dad would take me to games on Saturdays and if his shifts clashed with midweek games, my grandfather would take me, which would be a treat, cause he only went to the old wooden main stand. My indoctrination in all things Hibs coincided with the start of the Tornadoes era.

I plead the Lawrie Reilly amendment.

19-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Ah, I missed out then - I was further up the school. Boo.
What school were you at?

ancient hibee
19-04-2017, 09:19 PM
My grandad took me to Easter Rosd in 1947 when I was 5 and on holiday in Edinburgh.We moved here a couple of years later and I went to my first match on my own in 1952 when I was 10.I thought we always won the league.

heidtheba
19-04-2017, 09:20 PM
A big one in the city centre.

HibeeDave
19-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Born in Elsie Inglis Memorial Maternity Hospital, so I was just born a Hibby

yonder1875
19-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Family were all Hibs daft when I was born, thankfully.

seanshow
19-04-2017, 09:25 PM
My grandparents stayed on Edina Street and were Hibees, but I don't think we went to Easter road.
When we lived in west Edinburgh a neighbour took his son and myself to a few Hibs games circa late 70's and that was me sorted. :wink:
...ironically about 10 years later after we had moved away, I found out both my old neighbour and his son had defected and become Yams ftw! lol

Bostonhibby
19-04-2017, 09:47 PM
My earliest memories of being at a game was being at a trouncing of airdrie in 68/69 season. I knew Hibs were in the family as all our roots were leith and Lochend based. Until very recently that was enough for me as the basis for my connection to this wonderful club and community. Imagine the surprise a few months ago when I opened a bible my grandmother dedicated to me Xmas 1966 and on the inside front cover was written "Hibs for the cup" with a pretty basic drawing of a cup.

All that said, the tornadoes era is what fired me and the guys I attend with( when we can) to this day.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
19-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Me too[emoji106]

Iceman1875
19-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Closest club to my hometown, best friends supported the club (KT at the time) and was hooked after watching the Skol cup win in the early 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18Hibee75
19-04-2017, 10:18 PM
Always been a hibee from as long as I can remember, my dad (who was brought up in Gorgie) was a massive hibs fan and took me when I was 2-3 years old.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

corby hibee
19-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Both my parents are from Edinburgh, my father from leith and mother from Pilton. They moved here to corby at least 30 years ago so they would go up to visit family at least 5 times a year and a a young boy I remember my dad taking me to Easter Road(not sure exact Year) and they would let you in for free for the last 5 or 10 mins, my most favourable games to name a few was hearts at home with harpers mazy run, 2-2 at tynie in 98, semi vs livi in 01 and my last game was Blackburn away, been a hibs.net viewer for years,really need to make a game again next season

Vault Boy
19-04-2017, 10:55 PM
The old man is from Portobello, I caught the bug at a fairly young age despite being born and raised in East London/Essex. My mother's half are all Irish so I'd have found myself in green one way or another. :greengrin

LithgaeHibby
19-04-2017, 11:49 PM
I went to Parsons Green Primary. At playtime the aulder boys would go round the playground and ask the younger ones "What team do you support?" I didn't follow football at that time (aged 6-7) but realised that you just answered "Hibs" if you wanted a quiet life. It all grew from there...

monktonharp
20-04-2017, 12:00 AM
school mates took me to ER, aged 14. Although my Da ws a hibby, and all my uncles. he worked in Ghana, so never really had a chance to take me. 1st game against an auld Glasgow club (rangers) Hibs won. that was me hooked . been going since 1967/68. all my kids born in the Eastern General , and scattered between Leith, Dunbar and Wales are Hibbies !!

Haymaker
20-04-2017, 12:00 AM
My dad's a hibs fan so I am and have been since I was born.

lord bunberry
20-04-2017, 12:28 AM
Me too[emoji106]

And me

Mibbes Aye
20-04-2017, 12:41 AM

Me too[emoji106]

Me too. Mon the Elsie Inglis :aok:

My older cousins got to take me down to ER from Bruntsfield at a very early age. The sheer excitement of sitting on the front seats of the top deck of the LRT bus is hard to explain, but when you were early primary school age it was magic :greengrin

Jones28
20-04-2017, 06:02 AM
Grandad was a jambo sympathiser having grown up in Newhaven but Dad didn't follow football until his college days. Started going with a group of guys and 20 years later I started going with them too.

They were all at my stag do in hospitality at the weekend and it worked out not too badly at all!

First season ticket was Tony Mowbrays first season in charge - guess I got lucky with that. I mind my dad saying "it won't always be like this you know"...Christ he was right. Had to chuck it after 9 years due to travel and work commitments but this will be 2 years on the bounce I've had one - even managed to persuade my mate who hasn't had one since he was a kid to sign up.

HFCdeb
20-04-2017, 06:14 AM
Just like the song "when I was 5 my daddy took me down to Easter Road." He's the only football supporter in my family and grew up watching Hibs in the 70s. He was chuffed to bits when I told him I wanted to go to games with him. I lost a bit interest during my teenage girl years but I'm 31 now and it's still mine and my dad's thing, we go home and away together and whenever there's big tournaments on we set aside a few days to drink beers and watch all the matches. Sometimes I've given him a lot of grief for making me a Hibby, the recent past has been particularly torturous, but I'm not sure we'd have much of a relationship if it weren't for this shared obsession and love of all things Hibs.

Keith_M
20-04-2017, 06:32 AM
I became a Hibee at birth and it's all my Dad's fault!

I would sue the guy stupid...if he had any money.

tartanhibee
20-04-2017, 06:37 AM
Me too. Mon the Elsie Inglis :aok:

My older cousins got to take me down to ER from Bruntsfield at a very early age. The sheer excitement of sitting on the front seats of the top deck of the LRT bus is hard to explain, but when you were early primary school age it was magic :greengrin

Me four,also a Elsie inglis baby first went to Easter road in 1985 got beat 3-2 by St Mirren

MSK
20-04-2017, 06:46 AM
My late Father was a Jambo, his 6 fingered hands & webbed feet served him well for his life at sea in the Merchant navy, despite growing up in Lochend, Leith ( a wee spell in Glenrothes ) it was whilst living in hibbie populated Bingham I got my first taste of hibs, courtesy of my hibbie Uncle from my Mums side. After sampling my first game in early/mid 70s I was bitten with the hibs bug & there was no turning back.

Thanks Unc 😆👍

Scouse Hibee
20-04-2017, 07:15 AM
Married into a Hibee family.

CockneyRebel
20-04-2017, 07:54 AM

Palace supporter who married into a hibbee family, moved to Edinburgh, been a supporter at ER for 35 years and had a ST for 25 years. Once I had watched a couple of games involving Stanton, Blackley, Brownlie, Schaedler, Cropley etc. it was a no brainer.

IAmLee
20-04-2017, 08:05 AM
I chose Hibs. My mum is from a Rangers family (it's their local team) and my dad is a glory hunting Celtic bigot. I used to hate the old firm games when, if the huns won, my dad would be in a foul mood & call my mum for everything! I decided at that point I wanted nothing to do with either of the old firm and, with the help of the old panini sticker books, I chose the Hibees & used to look for their scores & catch them on TV when I could. I grew up in Paisley and went to see St Mirren a few times with a couple of my pals in my teens & it just didn't feel right, I didn't really care if they got beat or not. My mum took me to ER when I was 16 and it felt right, I've been hooked ever since!

Bill Milne
20-04-2017, 08:08 AM
My granny lived in Lochend Drive. My uncles took me and my cousins to the Holy Ground as soon as we were able to say "Hibs", sometime in the late 50s in my case!!

Neil 1875
20-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Gary Locke was in the year above me at primary school and everyone jumped on the hearts bandwagon because he was the school team captain. So me and a mate of mine started to support Hibs. This was around 1984 ish.

one day maybe...
20-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Only two teams will ever truly mean anything to me. Hibs because I was born and raised a Hibee & Arniston Rangers because I'll never forget my roots

FilipinoHibs
20-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Went on a Rangers supporters bus from Hawick to see Hibs vs Rangers League cup tie. Fell in love with the strips, the big open East terrace our cavalier football and Pat Stanton. Been Hibs mad ever since. Saw the Tornadoes and lots of great European nights. Kept the faith even through several barren bleak spells. But enjoyed all the good times and now is better than ever with the Scottish Cup and the crowds and our Mojo is back.

As James Connolly said "When my mind should be on important matters I slip into a black depression when I hear the Hibs have lost."

Earlydelivery
20-04-2017, 08:53 AM
My granny lived in Lochend Drive. My uncles took me and my cousins to the Holy Ground as soon as we were able to say "Hibs", sometime in the late 50s in my case!!
Brilliant . My mother stayed in lochend drive , could see the floodlights from the bottom of our garden .

cocteautwin
20-04-2017, 08:55 AM
My Dad is Hibby. Earliest Hibs memory is attending a game v Aberdeen before I started at Primary school so it would have been c1972 probably. Remember changing ends with my Dad at half time to walk down to the Hibs end for the second half and got a Wagon Wheel and a Kia Ora Orange during the walk. Most classmates at Towerbank were also Hibbys except for one Hearts fan and one Rangers fan. One of our teachers agreed to take the class to a Hibs match once and I was the first in the class to get the Bukta shirt. Remember feeling gutted after we lost the 3rd replay in the 1979 final. Who'd have thought 36 years later we still hadn't won it? Despite not having lived in Edinburgh for over 30 years the tension still exists in my stomach every day I know Hibs are playing.

Bostonhibby
20-04-2017, 08:55 AM

Brilliant . My mother stayed in lochend drive , could see the floodlights from the bottom of our garden .

[emoji106]Granny and auntie were Lochend Square and Lochend avenue

Scouse Hibee
20-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Palace supporter who married into a hibbee family, moved to Edinburgh, been a supporter at ER for 35 years and had a ST for 25 years. Once I had watched a couple of games involving Stanton, Blackley, Brownlie, Schaedler, Cropley etc. it was a no brainer.

Similar to me mate, it's been 25 years now after being a Liverpool ST holder and moving to Edinburgh. The ecstasy I felt at Hampden in May truly was my greatest day as a football supporter ever.

Geo_1875
20-04-2017, 09:38 AM
My Grandad was a Jambo who went to see whoever was playing at home on a Saturday. He took me to my first game at Tynie when I was 4 or 5 (1962/63). It was a dull 0-0 draw in a dark dismal place. The next week we went to Easter Road and the sun was shining. That was enough for me.

CockneyRebel
20-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Similar to me mate, it's been 25 years now after being a Liverpool ST holder and moving to Edinburgh. The ecstasy I felt at Hampden in May truly was my greatest day as a football supporter ever.Me too - bought my son up as a hibby and we both lost it at the cup final. 1966 comes close but this was way more personal.

Bristolhibby
20-04-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm third generation Hibs. My Grandad worked in Leith Central and all his 5 sons grew up as Hibbys.

All us grandchildren are Hibs fans (aside from the two cousins who moved with my Uncle to Aberdeen in the early 80s), unsurprisingly they are Dons fans.

My Dad took me ages 8 back in 1988 to my first few games. Later in 1989 we moved down to Bath. But still got to go to Hibs games in the school holidays.

Always get to a few games a season, but obviously not as many as most on here. Family is the big link for me. Watching Hibs gives me the chance to get back up to Edinburgh and go to the games with Uncles, cousins, cousins kids, etc. Proud to say that my two boys are Hibs daft and I continue to take them to watch the Hibs whenever I get the chance. (Both went to the Shrewsbury Town friendly and the first Dunfermline game back in August).

Long may it continue.

seanoheimhin
20-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Moved to Edinburgh from Dublin in 2009 for uni. Only loosely followed Scottish football before that, but was invited to a game that winter by a couple of workmates. It was hardly the standard of football that did it, but somehow I got hooked. Everyone tells me up until last year that, even by hibs standards, that wasn't a great time to become a supporter!

Despite being down in the championship and all the ups and downs, the last three years or so have been incredible compared to the four or five that preceded it :flag:

H18S NX
20-04-2017, 11:26 AM
65 yrs ago,born a Hibby,named after Gordon Smith

humins
20-04-2017, 11:27 AM
born into a family with no strong football alliance, my Nana was an Aberdonian but she had to be reminded that the sheep were the ones in red when the football was on the telly, then about aged 4, I got a full kit for my xmas & the local sports shop (5 miles away in Bridge of Allan) only had the Hibs (Bukta) kit in my size, so I got that. 14 years later moved to Edinburgh for Uni (Napier) & it was a no brainer to support the mighty cabbage, 20+ years later & now in New Zealand I'm still a Hibee & have passed it on to my kids (& on a side note Charlie Reid/Proclaimer still owes me a drink from after their Auckland gig last year when we decided that the cup was better than promotion) GGTTH

kaimendhibs
20-04-2017, 11:32 AM
My grandad was the Jannie at Norton Park School and a massive hibby. He took me to all my first games, starting 46 years ago

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
20-04-2017, 12:12 PM
I went to Parsons Green Primary. At playtime the aulder boys would go round the playground and ask the younger ones "What team do you support?" I didn't follow football at that time (aged 6-7) but realised that you just answered "Hibs" if you wanted a quiet life. It all grew from there...

My kids went to Parsae and both are now season ticket holders in the East.

CMurdoch
20-04-2017, 12:35 PM
My Grandad was a Jambo who went to see whoever was playing at home on a Saturday. He took me to my first game at Tynie when I was 4 or 5 (1962/63). It was a dull 0-0 draw in a dark dismal place. The next week we went to Easter Road and the sun was shining. That was enough for me.

Geo, your location under your avatar always makes me smile when I notice it :greengrin:aok:

Juice-Terry
20-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Moved to Scotland in 97 and happened to see Hibs v West Ham in 98(?). It was a 1-1 draw and I liked everything about the occasion: the way Hibs played, the home support, and the ground. I though to myself "Hmm...I like the cut of their jib. I'm going back." Been completely hooked ever since.

guidref
20-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Unlike most of the posters I wasn't always a Hibs fan and didn't have any Hibs family conections. I was born in Dunfermline and was originally a Pars fan as we stayed right next door to the ground. My Dad wasn't really a football fan but he let me go to in anyway. My sister was pretty ill when she was born and was in Leith Hospital for a long time so the family moved to Prestonpans to make visiting etc a bit easier. My new neighbour's Dad ran the Celtic supporters bus so I started going to watch Celtic (as it was all free!). I was fortunate to be able to kick a ball in a straight line and was offered the opportunity to become one of the many "S" form signings in the 70's and from the moment I walked through the old wooden doors into the main stand I was hooked. its was Hibs for me then and will be Hibs for ever.When my Mum was not well she told me that my Grandad, who I never really knew, was a massive Hibs fan so I guess I do have a family connection after all.

jacomo
20-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Born in Edinburgh but no strong club allegiance in my family. School was more Hearts than Hibs, but also OF, Arabs and Dons (it was the 1980s!)

1990 changed everything. I instinctively knew that Mercers attempted take over was wrong and I was not going to join the dark side. So Hibs had one more supporter - even if the club might disappear.

Lago
20-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Me to, future father in law suggested going to ER & wanting to sook up to him I did. Became a dedicated Hibbie & married his daughter.

scooby
20-04-2017, 07:43 PM
My grandparents stayed on Edina Street and were Hibees, but I don't think we went to Easter road.
When we lived in west Edinburgh a neighbour took his son and myself to a few Hibs games circa late 70's and that was me sorted. :wink:
...ironically about 10 years later after we had moved away, I found out both my old neighbour and his son had defected and become Yams ftw! lol

My gran lived in Edina Street and my dad took me to Hibs games whilst my mum went shopping with her on a Saturday. First time watching Arthur Duncan charging up the wing and I was hooked.

Codheed
20-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Relative newcomer despite my 58 years . Daughter came to Queen Margaret's Uni in 2007 , and took a flat at the top end of Easter Road for a year in late 2009 , followed by one in Thorntree Street a year later . Anyway , went to my first ever Scottish game in Jan 2010 versus Irvine Meadow in the Cup , bitter cold , but fantastic atmosphere ( different noise generated! ). Was on my own , but got chatting to a fan who had come through from Glasgow - wouldn't let me pay for my half time pie and Bovril - " you're a guest here , son " !! . Really enjoyed the game (Stokes and Riordan in tandem ) , and that was the start of it . Went a couple more times the next season , and although not been since , Hibs is the first result I look for.
Told my mate down here , after my first visit ,and it turned out he'd been a regular in the 1970's when he was going out with a bird from Leith ! Latterly he'd also been a couple a couple of times with John Leslie , when he was up to do some marathons/ half marathon .
Our Monday conversations are now all about how they got on at the weekend ! ( the Hibees , not John Leslie ! )

MKHIBEE
20-04-2017, 09:27 PM
It was elther a Hibee or one of them.My dad ( A Partick Thistle fan), was so angry at a centre page photo in the Record of the Hearts team at the time, around 1967, that I decided there was no way I could support them so The Hibs it was for me.

Bill Milne
21-04-2017, 07:37 AM

My granny stayed at No 57, her surname was also Milne.

Jag7
21-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Davy Gibson lived next door to my grandparents and my dad took me to my first Hibs game to see him play ... the rest as they say is History ..☘️

Peevemor
21-04-2017, 11:25 AM
My dad was from a Hibs family so Hibs it was. Being brought up in Kingsknowe (Longstone) then attending Firrhill Finishing Academy for Young Gentlemen meant that myself and my fellow hibees were very much in the minority, but that probably made me more determined to fight the good fight.

gazathehibby
21-04-2017, 11:33 AM
I became a Hibernian supporter in 1968, my grandad took my sister and me to Easter Road to see the famous hibees, or as he called them the cabbage and ribs.
We went to the enclosure which was under the main stand, all you could hear was hibees 👏 👏 👏 with the clapping and the stamping of the feet on the wooden floors above, we had never heard a noise like this, it sent shivers down your spine.
My first game in the terracing was one to remember, we played rangers, did I **** myself with that one, after that is history, still going to home and away games, still in the terracing ggtth 🇳🇬

InchHibby
21-04-2017, 11:35 AM
My eldest sister and her pal took me to my first game when I was about five or six year old.
Joe Baker played for Hibs then and unknown to me at that time the only reason they went was because they had the hots for the Baker boy.
When he left Hibs they stopped going and my sister never went to another match in her life.
Thankfully I got the bug even at that early age and still have it to this day.
Where I was brought up in Pennywell Road, everybody ( that I knew ) supported Hibs.:flag::flag:

allezsauzee
21-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Both sides of my family are Hibs through and through so from birth. My first memory of taking a proper interest was 1977/78 season when I was 6 and my dad started taking me a couple of years later and graduated to becoming a season ticket holder going with my pals in 1984/85 season.

hibsdaft70
21-04-2017, 04:09 PM
I was typical glory hunting Rangers fan until my early teens without going to a single game. Couple of pals at school were Hibs fans and used to rip me for not going to games. My brother in-law took me to a Hibs v Celtc game in the early eighties (Hibs lost 0-2) then I started going with pals from school. Was converted there and then. First season ticket in 1994/5 season. Had season tickets ever since

Wasn't taking any chances with my laddie, took him to his first game when he was 4 against Raith Rovers in the 98/99 season in the 1st Division. He cant make every week but goes when he can (kept his season ticket on). We were out in Copenhagen last July, his first game in Yoorup. Good times!

Earlydelivery
21-04-2017, 04:19 PM
My granny stayed at No 57, her surname was also Milne.
We stayed very bottom right hand side , number 34 the Combes .

Tom Hart RIP
21-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Could have gone either way for me. Sister fancied Peter Cormack so she took me to ER. Next door neighbor used to take me to Tynecastle.
Easy decision in the end

pacorosssco
21-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Archie. No influence other than uncle who took me them to try swing but genuine desire support local team and archie first player crush.