PDA

View Full Version : How many new fans did the cup win bring in?

snooky
19-04-2017, 01:57 PM
I always felt that the Cinderella story of the 1991 LC win brought in a surge of new fans.
I'm thinking mainly from the younger generation. Kids who maybe haven't quite pinned their colours to the mast.
Similarly, I wonder how many new fans came on board at the end of May last year.
Success breeds success - no doubt about it.

where'stheslope
19-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Always feel that winning things is a great builder of support, but its after that if things go wrong it starts to taper off!
Just look at the Yams 3 seasons everything was rosy, then 2 clashes with us and they are all moaning about everything!
Its not about collecting new fans its trying to keep them, even the Uglies have problems at times with falling crowds, so why should it be different for anyone else?

frazeHFC
19-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Attendances have rocketed and with us being promoted they should continue or increase even further. I really hope we are pushing for top 4 next season and crowds like we have had will be a formality.

Dashing Bob S
19-04-2017, 03:31 PM
An event like 21st May sticks with people forever. We benefited from the Yams making such a big deal about our poor Scottish Cup record. They made such a fuss about that we were bound to get a massive -pardon the pun- kickback from it when it happened.

Conversely, us winning it is a massive negative blow for them. Our setbacks in this tournament became an unrealistically big part of their identity. It has coupled with their terrible 'fan ownership' business model and sent them into an emotional tailspin.

DarlingtonHibee
19-04-2017, 03:42 PM
I always felt that the Cinderella story of the 1991 LC win brought in a surge of new fans.
I'm thinking mainly from the younger generation. Kids who maybe haven't quite pinned their colours to the mast.
Similarly, I wonder how many new fans came on board at the end of May last year.
Loads

hfc rd
19-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Attendances have rocketed and with us being promoted they should continue or increase even further. I really hope we are pushing for top 4 next season and crowds like we have had will be a formality.

The squad we have should be competing for a top 4 spot in the Premiership. I think a couple of signings and holding onto McGinn and Cummings, we should be able to challenge Aberdeen and sevco for 2nd.

Andy74
19-04-2017, 08:55 PM
The squad we have should be competing for a top 4 spot in the Premiership. I think a couple of signings and holding onto McGinn and Cummings, we should be able to challenge Aberdeen and sevco for 2nd.

And this is the reason our crowds will probably go down.

We won't be pushing for second so knives will be out and folk will drift away as we won't have the interest of a league win.

Sammy7nil
19-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Three maybe four

Viva_Palmeiras
19-04-2017, 10:16 PM

Did the LC 91 bring surge of newbies?
Not sure - first game back as champs was a poor turnout was it not?
I always had the impression that AM leaked support. But maybe your right perhaps it was replaced with newbies? We'll never know cos the customer database was pants. Criminal going forward if this is not the priority so we should know exactly.

NAE NOOKIE
19-04-2017, 11:59 PM
I don't know how many 'new' fans it has brought to the club .... but there is a decent chance that undecided kids might just be more encouraged to turn green than maroon, blue or tribute act green, in which case we will have to wait a few years to see the benefit.

What the cup win has done is bring back to the fold a good few thousand lapsed or previously disillusioned Hibbies who had drifted away from the club and that's really good to see.

Next season there's every chance that we will be unfortunate to see a crowd of under 15,000 at Easter Road for a league match. However, its a fact that in the next few seasons unless we continue to pull off the odd footballing miracle our crowds will steadily decline closer to a level we are more used to .... but the hope is that enough of the new and returned fans we have gathered this season will stick with the club to the extent that a disappointing crowd will be 11,000 rather than 7,000.

As I've said on other threads on this subject ...... every Hibs fan should revel in the crowds we are going to get next season, in years to come it may well be that we look back on this period as a 'golden age' crowd wise.

lyonhibs
20-04-2017, 06:00 AM
I think the surge in attendances will primarily be "absent" or infrequent attendees becoming more permanent rather than 4000 folk waking up on 22.05 and going "ah yes, it's the Hibs for me"

What's for sure is that it's easier and more fun to support a team that wins and has a bit of spirit about it rather than the shirkers and shysters of 4-5 years ago

Jones28
20-04-2017, 06:06 AM
It's definitely perked the interest of fans who have strayed slightly since relegation etc, that's been a huge factor in our attendances going up.

Keith_M
20-04-2017, 06:42 AM
Out of the 150k(?) people at the Cup parade, I'd reckon that thousands of them were lapsed supporters that suddenly regained an interest in attending Easter Road again. I have a feeling that's what accounts for most of the increase in attendances, as opposed to folk previously undecided as to which team they should follow.

CockneyRebel
20-04-2017, 08:05 AM
I think the surge in attendances will primarily be "absent" or infrequent attendees becoming more permanent rather than 4000 folk waking up on 22.05 and going "ah yes, it's the Hibs for me"

What's for sure is that it's easier and more fun to support a team that wins and has a bit of spirit about it rather than the shirkers and shysters of 4-5 years ago

This

snooky
20-04-2017, 08:29 AM
I realise that there was a return by lapsed fans after the cup win and that was to be expected. My original question was how many NEW fans did we acquire. I'm sure there must have been a good few. As I said, these would probably be youngsters who didn't support one particular team but chose us because of the successful cup win and the magic way it was achieved.

majorhibs
20-04-2017, 10:12 PM

Idiot mercer & hertz had just tried to to kill Hibs. Get real zoomer! 1991 was surreal cos a hertz Tory triumphalist millionaire thought he could lord it over Edinburgh

Nameless
21-04-2017, 04:46 AM
I think the OP makes a decent point - if the amount of kids I see in hibs tops now can be considered empirical evidence, then I'd say we've had a boost in the amount of kids who identified as hibs fans. Not die hards yet, but it's the first step.

blackpoolhibs
21-04-2017, 06:30 AM
I think its mainly lapsed fans rather than new fans we have attracted back.

Along with the singing crew making the matchday much more exciting, if we are to bring even more back, i hope people get behind them in the FF and join in and make the atmosphere even better next season. :top marks

superfurryhibby
21-04-2017, 06:54 AM
I realise that there was a return by lapsed fans after the cup win and that was to be expected. My original question was how many NEW fans did we acquire. I'm sure there must have been a good few. As I said, these would probably be youngsters who didn't support one particular team but chose us because of the successful cup win and the magic way it was achieved.

I think the persevered tour would have also had an impact. Thousands of kids got to see the cup in their schools, youth clubs etc and that probably encouraged a fair few of the young ones to support the Hibees.