PDA

View Full Version : Well done to Brighton and Portsmouth

Hibernia&Alba
17-04-2017, 06:02 PM
What a rollercoaster ride Brighton have been on since they last played in the top flight thirty-odd years ago: down to the fourth tier, close to bankruptcy and without a proper stadium for years. Thirty thousand at their game against Wigan today, as they in effect secured promotion back to the big time. A great day for the fans who stick with them through everything.

We all know the turmoil Portsmouth have experienced in the past few years as they fell through the leagues. Perhaps they've turned the corner - promoted to League One.

A lot of happy folk down on the south coast today.

Hibernia&Alba
17-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Should also mention the boys in green in Plymouth for their promotion. They were in terrible financial trouble a couple of years back; I don't know whether that's behind them now. It's a big club with potential, too. Michael Foot would be very pwoud if he were here today.

greenlex
17-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Something in the water on the south coast.

jgl07
17-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Brighton and their fans deserve all the credit for coming back from near extinction and also nearly losing theor football league status.

Their owner sold their stadium for housing and relocated them to Gillingham some 70 miles away. That could easily have been Hibs fate in the early 1990s.

After returning to Brighton at a converted athletics stadium they consolidated and raised funds to construct the new Falmer Stadium.

Jack Hackett
17-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Brighton and their fans deserve all the credit for coming back from near extinction and also nearly losing theor football league status.

Their owner sold their stadium for housing and relocated them to Gillingham some 70 miles away. That could easily have been Hibs fate in the early 1990s.

After returning to Brighton at a converted athletics stadium they consolidated and raised funds to construct the new Falmer Stadium.

That's a very concise summation of the Brighton story. The long version would fill a book. The story of the Amex alone is toe curling.

Tony Bloom the owner enjoys saintly stature down here. He loaned the club in the region of £80m to build the stadium... interest free. A true supporter who frequently travels to away games with the fans. A few levels above the Budgie in all respects.

I could go on, but I'm on my phone. Do your research on the clubs recent history. It's inspiring

Oh... and absolutely 'over the moon' the Seagulls are in the Premier at last.

What a blinder of a weekend it's been for me. Both of my teams winning their Leagues at the same time

Happy Happy Days

Bishop Hibee
17-04-2017, 07:49 PM
No time for Pompey. Bought their cup win with money they didn't have. Remind you of anyone?

Hibernia&Alba
17-04-2017, 07:56 PM
No time for Pompey. Bought their cup win with money they didn't have. Remind you of anyone?

That's a valid point, but their fans have been put through hell since. It's good they finally have something to celebrate, after the club almost folded.

weecounty hibby
17-04-2017, 08:01 PM
I was actually at the game at Chester when they avoided going it of the league. Huge Brighton crowd and loads of bother after the match

Is It On....
17-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Should also mention the boys in green in Plymouth for their promotion. They were in terrible financial trouble a couple of years back; I don't know whether that's behind them now. It's a big club with potential, too. Michael Foot would be very pwoud if he were here today.

Well done to Derek Adams as well. Ross County were mad to let him go. Why did he leave us?

Is It On....
17-04-2017, 08:23 PM
That's a very concise summation of the Brighton story. The long version would fill a book. The story of the Amex alone is toe curling.

Tony Bloom the owner enjoys saintly stature down here. He loaned the club in the region of £80m to build the stadium... interest free. A true supporter who frequently travels to away games with the fans. A few levels above the Budgie in all respects.

I could go on, but I'm on my phone. Do your research on the clubs recent history. It's inspiring

Oh... and absolutely 'over the moon' the Seagulls are in the Premier at last.

What a blinder of a weekend it's been for me. Both of my teams winning their Leagues at the same time

Happy Happy Days

Fat Boy Slim was also an important contributor to helping them out in their dark days. Really like Chris Hughton and shoddily treated by Newcastle when he was sacked with them 12th in the premier league.

HH81
18-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Well done to Brighton, however, i would have liked to see Huddersfield hold onto their win V Derby.

Brighton could have won it next week and the chance to see Huddersfield go up too would have been nice. Think top 2 is now sorted and Newcastle will finish 2nd.

I actually think manager of the year in England should be the Huddersfield manager done a great job getting them in with a chance of going up.

frazeHFC
18-04-2017, 07:25 AM
Well done to Brighton, however, i would have liked to see Huddersfield hold onto their win V Derby.

Brighton could have won it next week and the chance to see Huddersfield go up too would have been nice. Think top 2 is now sorted and Newcastle will finish 2nd.

I actually think manager of the year in England should be the Huddersfield manager done a great job getting them in with a chance of going up.

Gutting that late goal for Derby. Got a soft spot for Huddersfield, would be amazing seeing them go up.

Stranraer
18-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Really pleased for Brighton - hope they can do a Bournemouth and survive in the EPL. It's a great achievement for them when you se some of the really big clubs in the English Championship (Aston Villa, Newcastle etc.)

Posh Swanny
18-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Ahhh, Huddersfield and the playoffs. It's enough to make a Posh fan weep with warm glowing nostalgia in these times of mid-table league one mediocrity.

Happy for Brighton. I like to think that the £10 I put in a bucket at Gillingham back in the day helped out - maybe they'll give me a discount if I ever get to the AmEx for a game? :faf:

Ozyhibby
18-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Portsmouth are cheating *****. Hope they never get back to the EPL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IainA
18-04-2017, 08:45 PM

Yep, my favourite English team. Jordan Forster also played with them last season.
a few connections with the Hibees over the years.

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2017, 08:54 PM
I remember watching Brighton at Anfield in old 1st DIV when Jimmy Case played for them after Liverpool.

Scott Allan Key
18-04-2017, 09:00 PM
I remember watching Brighton at Anfield in old 1st DIV when Jimmy Case played for them after Liverpool.

It had all been downhill since the toupeed imposter Gordon Smith did miss. Still, my Sussex dad's team going up.

HH81
18-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Ahhh, Huddersfield and the playoffs. It's enough to make a Posh fan weep with warm glowing nostalgia in these times of mid-table league one mediocrity.

Happy for Brighton. I like to think that the £10 I put in a bucket at Gillingham back in the day helped out - maybe they'll give me a discount if I ever get to the AmEx for a game? :faf:

I was at that game at Old Trafford. Didn't Huddersfield leave their star man on the bench and 3 late Peterborough goals won it?

HH81
18-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Gutting that late goal for Derby. Got a soft spot for Huddersfield, would be amazing seeing them go up.

As I have told you over the years if you ever come down for a game will get you some freebies. Unless they go up then they might be in short supply ha.

Posh Swanny
18-04-2017, 09:13 PM
I was at that game at Old Trafford. Didn't Huddersfield leave their star man on the bench and 3 late Peterborough goals won it?

That's the one. Jordan Rhodes came on in something the 80th minute just after we'd scored on 78 and 79! [emoji23]Baffling decision by the current Killie boss.

We beat 'em at Leeds Road in the 1992 play off semi final too.

https://youtu.be/aC_vU0rwrms
(Warning: early 90s terrace "limbs all over the shop" action in that link)

Keith_M
19-04-2017, 06:24 AM
I felt most for Brighton over the years, as their Fans had so much to put up with, especially having their stadium sold from under them.

Now they have a fantastic stadium and are back in the big time.

:thumbsup:

southern hibby
19-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Used to go and watch Both teams ( and numerous others along south coast ) when I worked in Portsmouth if I couldn't get up to watch Hibs. Got friends who support both and are happy now promoted.

It's good to go up but need to spend to make sure it's not a one season wonder and straight back down.

Anyway all the best for both teams.

GGTTH