PDA

View Full Version : Lap of Honour

Johnny Clash
17-04-2017, 01:43 PM
It was great seeing the team walking around the pitch on Saturday receiving our applause and in return showing their appreciation. However I have to say that a lap of honour isn't half as memorable as seeing thousands of excuberant hibbys invade the Hampden pitch to party!

I appreciate it's an offence etc but as a spectacle the scenes last May were pretty much unbeatable and I doubt if they'll ever be repeated!

:flag:

thebakerboy
17-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Just seen the Sheffield United fans invade the pitch after winning their league. Just saying like!!!!!!!!!

Franck Stanton
17-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Must have been an ex-Rangers player on the field the wanted to assault

Dibben
17-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Just seen the Sheffield United fans invade the pitch after winning their league. Just saying like!!!!!!!!!

Surely there must be a statement due shortly by the other team???

Exuberance??? Never!

GordonHFC
17-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Must have been an ex-Rangers player on the field the wanted to assault

Law 😁

Sammy7nil
17-04-2017, 06:18 PM
It was great seeing the team walking around the pitch on Saturday receiving our applause and in return showing their appreciation. However I have to say that a lap of honour isn't half as memorable as seeing thousands of excuberant hibbys invade the Hampden pitch to party!

I appreciate it's an offence etc but as a spectacle the scenes last May were pretty much unbeatable and I doubt if they'll ever be repeated!

:flag:

Yeah it was great for the thousands of selfish people who were on the pitch not so good for the majority who were able to contain themselves.

Sir David Gray
17-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Yeah it was great for the thousands of selfish people who were on the pitch not so good for the majority who were able to contain themselves.

I didn't go onto the pitch at the end of the cup final but it spoiled nothing for me.

I can fully understand why people did what they did last May, I have no problem with it at all.

Slavoj Zizek
17-04-2017, 06:42 PM

Great post. Respectability, dignity, courtesy and style. These are Hibernian values.

Hi Heid Yin
17-04-2017, 06:42 PM
And let's not forget all those thousands of marauding Brighton supporters who invaded the pitch earlier this evening after clinching promotion.

SlickShoes
17-04-2017, 06:45 PM

Wasn't on the pitch and wouldn't change a thing about that day. It was fantastic.

I thought Saturday was tame, it was muted and didn't really feel like a celebration.

Jones28
17-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Plymouth fans to be tried for exuberance after those scenes.

Jones28
17-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Wasn't on the pitch and wouldn't change a thing about that day. It was fantastic.

I thought Saturday was tame, it was muted and didn't really feel like a celebration.

To me and many others it wasn't so much a celebration as just plain relief that the job is done.

Broken Gnome
17-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Notice how quick the noise from the stand died down after the final whistle at Hampden. Within seconds.

The vast majority stayed in the stands, and I'd wager many were too distracted by what was happening on the pitch to fully celebrate in the way they'd ever envisaged. Certainly in the immediate aftermath.

SlickShoes
17-04-2017, 06:56 PM
To me and many others it wasn't so much a celebration as just plain relief that the job is done.

It was the same for me, there was no need for a pitch invasion.

At Hampden there was also no need but people were just reacting spontaneously since just about everyone thought they'd never live to see us win that cup.

Sammy7nil
17-04-2017, 07:06 PM

You cannot compare the two events in anyway shape or form.

Wilson
17-04-2017, 07:09 PM

For a start it hasn't been 114 years since we won this division!

The only 'curse' I can associate with the championship is being in it in the first place!

Sammy7nil
17-04-2017, 07:11 PM
I didn't go onto the pitch at the end of the cup final but it spoiled nothing for me.

I can fully understand why people did what they did last May, I have no problem with it at all.

I can understand why a few people may not be able to control thier emotions however 100's wandering on the pitch a full 10-15 mins after the whistle to get the ALL important vital life changing selfie just got ma goat. Did it spoil my day? No. Would i have liked a lap of hounour during SOL Leith? Yes.

SlickShoes
17-04-2017, 07:11 PM

I just did, we won a cup, people are discussing the merits of a pitch invasion or a parade around the pitch, quite easy to compare them.

NZ Green
17-04-2017, 07:14 PM
I was talking to my dad about this yesterday. I would rather see fans flooding a field than the team do a lap of honour. The main thing for the players is lifting the cup, which yes, a pitch invasion isn't worth trading for. But a pitch invasion followed by the team lifting the cup is best of both.

Sammy7nil
17-04-2017, 07:15 PM
I just did, we won a cup, people are discussing the merits of a pitch invasion or a parade around the pitch, quite easy to compare them.

Okay i just thought that winning the Scottish cup after 114 years and winning the second tier in Scotland was a very poor comparrison. If thought the elation emotions and celebrations would be similar :aok:

Is It On....
17-04-2017, 07:36 PM

Another team in the wrong league through poor management.Hope the Blades manage to consolidate and get into the play-offs in the next few years.

jgl07
17-04-2017, 07:42 PM
You will never catch Hibs fans Hibs supporters invading the pitch after clinching promotion. Well they never caught any of us a Firhill back in the day!

GreenCastle
17-04-2017, 10:44 PM
We still need to get the trophy at the final game..

I would expect a sell or crowd also and St Mirren to bring a large support too.

P.s wasn't on pitch at Hampden but loved seeing the pitch invasion at the best Scottish Cup final ever.

18-04-2017, 03:53 AM
As I've seen pointed out somewhere else ..... yesterday there were a few pitch "invasions" in England, with fans celebrating promotions. No trouble whatsoever - the common denominator? Opposition fans cleared off home from the stadiums leaving the celebrating fans to get on with primarily that - simply celebrating! If only the The Rangers fans had done the same huh.

California-Hibs
18-04-2017, 05:56 AM
Wouldn't change the way the celebrations were on 21.5.16 for the world. Was an incredible sight seeing thousands of Hibees descending on the pitch in ecstasy!

scooby
18-04-2017, 07:53 AM

This!

Northern Hibby
18-04-2017, 08:19 AM

Same for me

Itsnoteasy
18-04-2017, 09:05 AM
And let's not forget all those thousands of marauding Brighton supporters who invaded the pitch earlier this evening after clinching promotion.

The difference with all these fans running onto the pitch is they are all celebrating. It is the 1% of Hibs fans that wanted more than a celebration on the field that has given us the unwanted attention.

pacoluna
18-04-2017, 09:09 AM
boohoo :rolleyes:

pacoluna
18-04-2017, 09:12 AM
The difference with all these fans running onto the pitch is they are all celebrating. It is the 1% of Hibs fans that wanted more than a celebration on the field that has given us the unwanted attention.
which was lapped up by repetitive doom merchants on this, they if anybody were the ones who tried to ruin that special day.

jacomo
18-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Ach come on.

The Huns were giving it large all day. Singing their silly songs and offering to square go before kick off.

So a few Hibbys ran towards our keeper and gave it GIRUY to the Huns as they did so. It was the retaliation that caused the trouble.

WeeRussell
18-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Law 😁

And Fleck! 😀

Mick O'Rourke
18-04-2017, 06:04 PM
There was nothing stopping the SFA/Police Scotland(other than spite,that they got caught wrong footed) from allowing the team to go round to the Hibs End with the Cup,after the pitch had been cleared, and the other end was empty.
Nobody was going to go back on the park.
The 7th Cavalry/cordon was making sure of that !

Wee tip to you younger,livelier fans,from an old veteran of travelling to games in Glasgow and experience of the Glesca Polis ;-(

Don't wind up the polis.even in jest, about last years nonsense.
They still appear to be a a wee bit bilin' about it.
Hence the continued persecution/arrests.

You might miss the game !

lucky
18-04-2017, 07:38 PM

But none of the fans on the pitch headed straight for the opposition fans, sadly some Hibs did. But the reality if the huns had stayed of the pitch there wouldn't have been fights.

lucky
18-04-2017, 07:40 PM
There was nothing stopping the SFA/Police Scotland(other than spite,that they got caught wrong footed) from allowing the team to go round to the Hibs End with the Cup,after the pitch had been cleared, and the other end was empty.
Nobody was going to go back on the park.
The 7th Cavalry/cordon was making sure of that !

Wee tip to you younger,livelier fans,from an old veteran of travelling to games in Glasgow and experience of the Glesca Polis ;-(

Don't wind up the polis.even in jest, about last years nonsense.
They still appear to be a a wee bit bilin' about it.
Hence the continued persecution/arrests.

You might miss the game !

Agree the SFA shouldn't have so spiteful