PDA

View Full Version : Lennon's Interview

SteveHFC
16-04-2017, 11:39 PM
Great read.

NEIL LENNON insists Hibs won’t just make up the Premiership numbers.
The Championship champs clinched a top-flight return after thumping Queen of the South 3-0 at Easter Road.

And Lennon will immediately get to work to ensure they have what it takes to go toe-to-toe with the big guns.

He said: “I think the players here need Premiership football. It will show them at their best.
“It’s been a very difficult in the Championship because teams have camped in their own half and made themselves difficult to beat.
“It doesn’t add a lot to the games. Next season will be different. There will be better quality players and the games will be more open.
“I think that will suit Hibs (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/team/14943/hibernian/)— the expectations will be less.

“But we will still be expected to finish in the top six.

“It all depends on winning. The more you win, the more the crowds will come.

“I think off the back of winning the Scottish Cup there was a real sense of pride and a feel-good factor.

“People wanted to come and watch Hibs again. My job next season is to maintain that feeling.

“We have been up and around the top all season and that entices some people to come and see us.

“Can we get the crowds in if we are mid-table next season? That remains to be seen.

“It can be difficult sometimes but if we’re in and around the top then the potential here is huge.
“Offers for all the players whose contracts are up are now done. All of them have been offered something.
“That was done months ago so it’s up to the players to accept or decide if they want to move on.
“It would be a shame if some of them left because it’s important to keep the squad together.
“They’re a good bunch and they have enjoyed success in the last year and a half.”
Lennon felt there was a soft centre at Easter Road when he first took the job — despite last season’s Scottish Cup heroics under Alan Stubbs.
But now he reckons they are blessed with a steel spine.

He said: “I thought we were a bit soft. I used the term ‘boy band’ because I thought we played nice football, were easy on the eye but kept losing.
“So we wanted them to go to the Queen of the Souths and the Dumbartons and dig out results.
“The big games at a club like this take care of themselves but it was the other matches that mattered.

“The other thing was if we couldn’t win we had to make sure we didn’t lose.“We did have a few more draws than we would have liked but each point was important going forward.”
Lenny has found football fulfilment after a troubled time at cash-strapped Bolton. And he’s looking forward to the challenge of taking Hibs into the Premiership.

He said: “I am very excited. I have been thinking about this day for a few weeks. It’s a sense of pride and achievement.
“I have won the Scottish Premier League a few times and won the Championship. There are not many managers who can say that.
“I’ve enjoyed the club. I’ve enjoyed the support we’ve got. I’ve enjoyed working with the players — the majority of the time!
“They have been brilliant. When they put their minds to it they have played exhilarating football.
“Bolton was a bombscare in terms of things that were totally out of my control. While it didn’t go well, it was a test and an experience.
“This has rejuvenated and refreshed me. It’s nice to be back in Scotland and the family are settled.
“I’ve really enjoyed it this season.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/876772/neil-lennon-hibs-premiership-championship-champions/

SirDavidsNapper
16-04-2017, 11:46 PM
Great read.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/876772/neil-lennon-hibs-premiership-championship-champions/

Sounds like he's here for a while 👍

pacorosssco
16-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Offers for all the players whose contracts are up are now done. All of them have been offered something.
“That was done months ago so it’s up to the players to accept or decide if they want to move on.

I think this is key part of article. Hes had to manage guys from probably xmas onwards who are not happy deal on table or deal suggests that unlikely part of his plans but unlike Butcher hes managed maintainmotivation from them to get us over the line.

pacorosssco
16-04-2017, 11:57 PM
Sounds like he's here for a while 👍

I recon Lennon knows unless he gets Hibs top 4 in next two seasons in SPL he is unlikely to be offered much better gigs in management. If all goes well I think hell be Hibs boss 2-3 seasons. Derek mciness done well dons but nobody is offering him a route back after Bristol City at the moment

jacomo
17-04-2017, 07:55 AM
Offers for all the players whose contracts are up are now done. All of them have been offered something.

I think this is key part of article. Hes had to manage guys from probably xmas onwards who are not happy deal on table or deal suggests that unlikely part of his plans but unlike Butcher hes managed maintainmotivation from them to get us over the line.

Good point.

Much speculation on here about player budget etc but none of us really know the numbers involved.

mjhibby
17-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Good point.

Much speculation on here about player budget etc but none of us really know the numbers involved.

LD and nl will know roughly what the budget is and that will only Improve if we win on Saturday. I'm sure the likes of gray,hanlon,mcgregor,stevenson etc will have probably have already agreed how much the wage would go up after promotion but given we only made £200,000 profit after getting to two finals and winning one of them I'd suggest a lot of the players are on a cracking wage for a championship team. I would think all the main players will re- sign on again but the likes of holt,graham,keatings,harris etc could be interesting to see what Neil does there. Also we have the loan players,rocky McLean Ambrose shinnie but that of course depends on what their current clubs want. I dont think anything will be announced till after the semi final.

pacorosssco
17-04-2017, 09:19 AM
LD and nl will know roughly what the budget is and that will only Improve if we win on Saturday. I'm sure the likes of gray,hanlon,mcgregor,stevenson etc will have probably have already agreed how much the wage would go up after promotion but given we only made £200,000 profit after getting to two finals and winning one of them I'd suggest a lot of the players are on a cracking wage for a championship team. I would think all the main players will re- sign on again but the likes of holt,graham,keatings,harris etc could be interesting to see what Neil does there. Also we have the loan players,rocky McLean Ambrose shinnie but that of course depends on what their current clubs want. I dont think anything will be announced till after the semi final.

If players have signed deals Hibs would say so. From article i take some are stalling or know deal suggests not wanted.

J-C
17-04-2017, 09:33 AM

This is the way I read it also, the bits in bold are important as it looks like it's a take it or leave it offer but an offer non the less.

mjhibby
17-04-2017, 09:36 AM
If players have signed deals Hibs would say so. From article i take some are stalling or know deal suggests not wanted.

Surely guys wouldn't commit until they knew we were going up. Plus the offers in the table will be opening offers and then the negotiation begins. There may be a take it or leave it to those who haven't played a lot but the main body of players will I'm sure be negotiating with their agents. I'm sure the likes of gray,hanlon,mcgregor and Stevenson are keen to sign on but know they will want a wage reflecting where the club is now.

Vini1875
17-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Players not signing is no big deal at this stage, many still have a lot to prove and they will be looking to see what other offers they get.

greenlex
17-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Surely guys wouldn't commit until they knew we were going up. Plus the offers in the table will be opening offers and then the negotiation begins. There may be a take it or leave it to those who haven't played a lot but the main body of players will I'm sure be negotiating with their agents. I'm sure the likes of gray,hanlon,mcgregor and Stevenson are keen to sign on but know they will want a wage reflecting where the club is now.
Assuming they took a cut when relegated of course.