PDA

View Full Version : Attendances

Mikers110
16-04-2017, 10:07 PM
Just having a look at some of the other major European leagues over the weekend and was some what, but happily surprised, to see that we have bigger attendances than some teams in the French,,Dutch, Italian and Portuguese Leagues. Maybe we sell ourselves to short at times.

houstonhibbee
16-04-2017, 10:30 PM
Just having a look at some of the other major European leagues over the weekend and was some what, but happily surprised, to see that we have bigger attendances than some teams in the French,,Dutch, Italian and Portuguese Leagues. Maybe we sell ourselves to short at times.

our average attendance this season must be up around 30-40%. I suspect no other professional club in the world can match or beat that.

Mikers110
16-04-2017, 10:32 PM
our average attendance this season must be up around 30-40%. I suspect no other professional club in the world can match or beat that.

Think it's up around the 60 odd percent this season.

houstonhibbee
16-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Think it's up around the 60 odd percent this season.
is that a world record for this season?

Mikers110
16-04-2017, 10:37 PM
is that a world record for this season?

Certainly a Leith, Edinburgh, Scottish, UK and European record, but haven't got a bloody clue about a world record. :greengrin

yonder1875
16-04-2017, 11:38 PM
Scottish crowds are often criticised but we are very often the best supported leagues per head in Europe.

SirDavidsNapper
17-04-2017, 04:24 AM
Scottish crowds are often criticised but we are very often the best supported leagues per head in Europe.

The Glasgow duo and the thousands of Irish heading to Ibrox and Parkhead will help that stat

Hibernia&Alba
17-04-2017, 04:30 AM
The Glasgow duo and the thousands of Irish heading to Ibrox and Parkhead will help that stat

It would be interesting to know how many travel from Ireland for Hibs matches. You could probably get them all in a taxi, which is a shame. Thousands also travel over weekly to watch some of the EPL teams, especially Man United and Liverpool. It would be great if we could get a bit of that income coming our way. They have a club named after their own country right here, yet go elsewhere. It's very ungrateful :greengrin

Col2
17-04-2017, 06:40 AM
Current average is 15,229. Assuming our last two home games are c15k then heading towards average which is highest since 1972-73 season, 44 years ago!

It would be the 16th highest average in our history with 12 of those seasons being period 1946-58 where averages were considerably higher, not to meantion a few success along the way!

But looking ahead and IF our average next season is say over 16,559 (possible) then it would be our highest average in past 60 years (1957-58).

Onion
17-04-2017, 07:01 AM
Current average is 15,229. Assuming our last two home games are c15k then heading towards average which is highest since 1972-73 season, 44 years ago!

It would be the 16th highest average in our history with 12 of those seasons being period 1946-58 where averages were considerably higher, not to meantion a few success along the way!

But looking ahead and IF our average next season is say over 16,559 (possible) then it would be our highest average in past 60 years (1957-58).

And that with capacity of ER limited to 20k ! In the 70's, ER regularly held crowds of 30-40k against Celtic, Rangers and Hearts, pushing the average attendance up.

Our historic cup win has a lot to answer for :greengrin

tartanhibee
17-04-2017, 07:54 AM
I suspect the crowd against raith may be slightly under 15k, the game against St Mirren will be a home sell out so should see our average above 15k for the season which is great. I hope people continue to buy into what's happening at hibs and see if we can continue with these great crowds next season.

yonder1875
17-04-2017, 09:34 AM

Don't get this point at all if you are putting a negative spin on it. We don't take away Ajax and PSV when looking at Dutch attendances or take away Benfica and Sporting when looking at Portuguese and so on. The only point here is our game is better supported than a lot seem to think, got to remember clubs were forced to build stadia far bigger than the crowds they would expect.

Ozyhibby
17-04-2017, 09:37 AM

Why do ourselves down. Do the Portuguese exclude Benfica and Porto? Or the Dutch Ajax and PSV?
We have great crowds in Scotland. We need to learn to start talking our game up a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SChibs
17-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Why do ourselves down. Do the Portuguese exclude Benfica and Porto? Or the Dutch Ajax and PSV?
We have great crowds in Scotland. We need to learn to start talking our game up a bit more.

I think he means it's not actually Scottish residents that make up all the attendance it's people from Ireland too

Ozyhibby
17-04-2017, 09:45 AM
I think he means it's not actually Scottish residents that make up all the attendance it's people from Ireland too

There 9,000 tourists at every Barca game as well. It doesn't really matter where the crowds come from as long as they come.

jgl07
17-04-2017, 10:09 AM
There 9,000 tourists at every Barca game as well. It doesn't really matter where the crowds come from as long as they come.

There are thousands of tourists at English Premier League matches. Go to Old Trafford and the Etihad and you will usually see large parties from places like Malaysia and Indonesia.

Now that Edinburgh is becoming a year round tourist attraction, Hibs could gain some benefit with good marketing.

17-04-2017, 10:15 AM
There are thousands of tourists at English Premier League matches. Go to Old Trafford and the Etihad and you will usually see large parties from places like Malaysia and Indonesia.

Now that Edinburgh is becoming a year round tourist attraction, Hibs could gain some benefit with good marketing.

I've often said that during the Edinburgh festival, when the season is just starting hibs should be pulling out all the stops to attract the tourists along. I remember a chinese couple sitting beside me at ER a good few years back, over for the festival and wanted to experience the football. They really enjoyed it.

Even advertising things like stadium tours etc. Could make a fair wee bit from it, if we can attract people to come along for games or stadium tours then i'm sure many would also buy merchandise from the club shop as a souvenir.

1van Sprou7e
17-04-2017, 10:37 AM

Not to mention the 1000's of tourists at basically every PL game

FilipinoHibs
17-04-2017, 10:53 AM

Singapore an EPL mad city is starting to see the romance if Hibs!

Keith_M
17-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Just to put Hibs attendances in perspective...

Austria has a population of 8 million, roughly 60% higher than Scotland.

The best supported team is Rapid Vienna, who are going through something of an attendance boom since the building of their new stadium. Their average for this season is 21.5k, about 40% higher than Hibs.

The second best supported team currently is Sturm Graz, with an average of just under 11k.

Almost every club in Austria would love to have attendances as high as Hibs (or Hearts & Aberdeen, for that matter)

NAE NOOKIE
17-04-2017, 11:13 AM
I've often said that during the Edinburgh festival, when the season is just starting hibs should be pulling out all the stops to attract the tourists along. I remember a chinese couple sitting beside me at ER a good few years back, over for the festival and wanted to experience the football. They really enjoyed it.

Even advertising things like stadium tours etc. Could make a fair wee bit from it, if we can attract people to come along for games or stadium tours then i'm sure many would also buy merchandise from the club shop as a souvenir.

Totally this ..... also you get a great view of ER from Calton Hill which thousands of tourists visit every year, but there's nothing to let people know who plays there ... a nice big neon sign reading 'Hibernian Football Club' on top of the main stand would sort that and I'm only half kidding :greengrin

Deansy
17-04-2017, 11:21 AM

And I suspect that fans of a failed 'Big team' experiment will be absolutely seething at our attendances this season !. It's a double-bonus, lots of extra money coming Hibs way AND pushing a lot of them just that wee bit closer to the edge !!

Only 2 things matter to them - Hibs and 'Size' !. Trying to beat us is the 'Be all and end all' for them - being 'Bigger' than us is a close second. Failing on both fronts will see 'The Samaritans' tripling their staff !

Ozyhibby
17-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Just to put Hibs attendances in perspective...

Austria has a population of 8 million, roughly 60% higher than Scotland.

The best supported team is Rapid Vienna, who are going through something of an attendance boom since the building of their new stadium. Their average for this season is 21.5k, about 40% higher than Hibs.

The second best supported team currently is Sturm Graz, with an average of just under 11k.

Almost every club in Austria would love to have attendances as high as Hibs (or Hearts & Aberdeen, for that matter)

And Austria still managed to get a better TV deal than Scotland.

Seveno
17-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Pick the aggregate of any three Spl games at the weekend, other than Castle Greyskull, and the Hibs attendance was bigger.

Dibben
17-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Would be interesting to compare the Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts average for this season. Considering that the other 2 have OF games in there...

SirDavidsNapper
17-04-2017, 02:27 PM
Would be interesting to compare the Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts average for this season. Considering that the other 2 have OF games in there...

Good point. Take away old firm away attendances. Surely some statto can do that

SirDavidsNapper
17-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Good point. Take away old firm away attendances. Surely some statto can do that. What does the away end at Pittodrie hold?

Jack Hackett
17-04-2017, 02:46 PM
And Austria still managed to get a better TV deal than Scotland.

My best guess on this, is that they don't have donkeys negotiating their deals.

brog
17-04-2017, 02:50 PM

Trouble is we're comparing apples & oranges, at least with Yams. We count actual attendance, Yams count seats sold even if those seats are not occupied. As a result Yams supposed attendances vs OF are not significantly different from their other attendances.

CMurdoch
17-04-2017, 02:51 PM
A couple of weeks ago I looked up average attendance stats for all leagues in Europe. The SPL was 7th best supported with only Spain, England, Germany, Italy, France and Holland ahead of them.
Quite remarkable. If we could only have a decent TV deal in place all would be good.

JDHibs
17-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Celtic - 55,514
The Rangers - 48,981
Hearts - 16,419
Aberdeen - 12,806

Hibs - 14,858

Rest are pretty poor, Dundee around 6k, Dundee Utd around 7k, Falkirk and Killie 5-5.5k, rest of top league in and around 4k, Hamilton 2.6k, which is horrendous.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm

Dashing Bob S
17-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Celtic - 55,514
The Rangers - 48,981
Hearts - 16,419
Aberdeen - 12,806

Hibs - 14,858

Rest are pretty poor, Dundee around 6k, Dundee Utd around 7k, Falkirk and Killie 5-5.5k, rest of top league in and around 4k, Hamilton 2.6k, which is horrendous.

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

Ozyhibby
17-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Celtic - 55,514
The Rangers - 48,981
Hearts - 16,419
Aberdeen - 12,806

Hibs - 14,858

They are not horrendous given the small towns those teams play in.

Dibben
17-04-2017, 03:31 PM
:faf::faf::faf::faf:

Yeah - take away at least 10% from that for the home fans.

Away fans will be slightly higher in the Premiership too - all in all - not a bad effort!!! Can we break 15k by the end of the season???

JeMeSouviens
17-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Celtic - 55,514
The Rangers - 48,981
Hearts - 16,419
Aberdeen - 12,806

Hibs - 14,858

Slightly suprised United getting more than Dundee while in the first division.

OxoHibby
17-04-2017, 03:41 PM

This. Scottish football is very well supported per capita and especially given the number of pro clubs

JeMeSouviens
17-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Good point. Take away old firm away attendances. Surely some statto can do that. What does the away end at Pittodrie hold?

I think Celtc and the New Huns now only get the one half covered/half not block at the end of the stand that we get. It's about 2000 I think. And they only get 1500 at Tiny.

Keith_M
17-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Celtic - 55,514
The Rangers - 48,981
Hearts - 16,419
Aberdeen - 12,806

Hibs - 14,858

Hibs average league attendance is actually a bit better than that, at 15,233.

Maybe the figure above didn't include Saturday's attendance?

:dunno:

allmodcons
17-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Hibs average league attendance is actually a bit better than that, at 15,233.

Maybe the figure above didn't include Saturday's attendance?

:dunno:

The tables in the link are out of date. They only average across 9 matches and show our highest attendance as 16477 (first home game versus Dunfermline I think).

JeMeSouviens
17-04-2017, 04:07 PM
According to this http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/sco-championship-2016-2017/1/ we're at 15109

But it's 2 games behind - Keekaboo's 15233 is correct

JeMeSouviens
17-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Up to date for the Yams is 16338.

Lancs Harp
17-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Taking attendances in our programme I got our current league average (including saturday) to be 15,239.

Highest v Dundee Utd 18,786
Lowest v QOTS 13,861

Currently just under 250,000 in attendance for the season (243,823 after 16 games)

Marco G
17-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Oh well next season it will be a heck of a lot lower once all the ST renewals don't happen. They may have to start counting the numbers that turn up through the gates! They sure won't like it when our attendances are more than theirs.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
17-04-2017, 09:06 PM

That total includes 8,000 JINO'S.

lucky
17-04-2017, 10:32 PM

Not really that relevant as Hearts only gave them 1500 tickets. United and Falkirk were about that figure at Hibs.

greenginger
17-04-2017, 10:41 PM
I see the Yams attendance figure they made up for this year, is exactly the same as the one the made up for last year.

1van Sprou7e
17-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Not really that relevant as Hearts only gave them 1500 tickets. United and Falkirk were about that figure at Hibs.

Yes but we only had 1 or 2 times when we were close to selling out in the league.

Home games against the Old Firm will likely have more than any of our league games this season bar Dundee United and QotS

The number of home fans is more important than the number of travelling fans

houstonhibbee
17-04-2017, 10:44 PM
Yes but we only had 1 or 2 times when we were close to selling out in the league.

Home games against the Old Firm will likely have more than any of our league games this season bar Dundee United and QotS

The number of home fans is more important than the number of travelling fans

the number of rangers and celtic away fans will be offset by hibs fans and their families not attending those games

Peevemor
17-04-2017, 10:50 PM
the number of rangers and celtic away fans will be offset by hibs fans and their families not attending those games
I doubt it. 3,800 (IIRC) will stay away each OF match?

1van Sprou7e
17-04-2017, 10:56 PM

Doubt it, looking at the figures in this tweet (https://twitter.com/AgentScotland/status/828320176248610816) the highest attendances for basically all premiership clubs are the games against the Old Firm

Only outlier seems to be Hearts who just pretend they sell out every game :greengrin

1van Sprou7e
17-04-2017, 10:57 PM

Not to mention the hundreds of fans who will try and go to Old Firm games but not most home games

houstonhibbee
17-04-2017, 11:01 PM
assuming the average away support is 800 then its 3,000 and potentially it may keep 1500 hibs fans away

wonder if anyone has done any market analysis to identify where we can attract new support and what it takes on the park and even off the park in terms of match day experience to increase season ticket holders. Any other business would have to do this analysis so why not football clubs?

If we could get to a position where we dont need 3800 away fans that would be great but probably unrealistic

But if we are to progress and grow in a planned manner presumably we are doing some analysis to support plans

matty_f
17-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Just as well we built the East when we did. :greengrin

It's brilliant seeing the ground full, the support have been magnificent this season.

SirDavidsNapper
18-04-2017, 03:40 AM
Everyone knows how big Hibs support is I'm just glad we're starting to see it. The fan base is massive.

houstonhibbee
18-04-2017, 04:23 AM
Everyone knows how big Hibs support is I'm just glad we're starting to see it. The fan base is massive.
We must be in as strong a financial position as anyone bar Celtic. How do we make that quantum leap to challenge them? Is that the ultimate goal or is second place enough? Can we ever compete in CL?

houstonhibbee
18-04-2017, 04:27 AM
Winning the Scottish cup has had a much bigger impact than anyone could have imagined. Much more than any league cup win in 72, 91 or 07

wonder if we'd won in 79 if the impact would have been so great?

Onion
18-04-2017, 04:39 AM
Just as well we built the East when we did. :greengrin

It's brilliant seeing the ground full, the support have been magnificent this season.

:top marks For so long, a 20k Easter Road has looked a bit of a white elephant but our Cup win has transformed it into one of the best stadiums and atmospheres in the country. Long may that continue :flag:

Spike Mandela
18-04-2017, 06:03 AM
As with our previous stay in lower league in the 90's crowds go up when you are challenging at the right end of the league. This time after winning the cup this has been enhanced even more.

The challenge now is to have us competing at the right end of the Premier league and having a team that is exciting to watch with a good cup record. Top 4 should be our initial target.

A few years of mediocre team and mid table league positions will see crowds evaporate as I suspect Hearts are about to find out.

GreenLake
18-04-2017, 06:04 AM

Others say 16207.

SirDavidsNapper
18-04-2017, 06:17 AM

Wonder what it is if you take away the empty pink seats

vuefrom1875
18-04-2017, 06:29 AM

But... They cheat on the numbers!!

Brooster
18-04-2017, 07:19 AM

Do you know any families who dont go to OF games? I dont. Our branch has 150 members and I know dozens of season ticket families over and above that......none of whom dont go to OF games.

marinello59
18-04-2017, 07:25 AM
Do you know any families who dont go to OF games? I dont. Our branch has 150 members and I know dozens of season ticket families over and above that......none of whom dont go to OF games.

Spot on. It's a myth.

hibees59
18-04-2017, 07:39 AM
As with our previous stay in lower league in the 90's crowds go up when you are challenging at the right end of the league. This time after winning the cup this has been enhanced even more.

The challenge now is to have us competing at the right end of the Premier league and having a team that is exciting to watch with a good cup record. Top 4 should be our initial target.

A few years of mediocre team and mid table league positions will see crowds evaporate as I suspect Hearts are about to find out.

The season we were in the championship (98/99) our crowds were 2000 lower than the previous year or the year we came back up
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/club_records_league_attendance.php

Ozyhibby
18-04-2017, 08:45 AM
:top marks For so long, a 20k Easter Road has looked a bit of a white elephant but our Cup win has transformed it into one of the best stadiums and atmospheres in the country. Long may that continue :flag:

Credit to the Section 43 guys as well. They have made Easter road a much better place to visit and I hope they keep it up and their numbers grow.
There is no doubt that we did have a habit of sitting on our hands waiting to be entertained. That appears to be a thing of the past and watching Hibs is starting to become a participation event. That can only be a good thing.

woodythehibee
18-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Credit to the Section 43 guys as well. They have made Easter road a much better place to visit and I hope they keep it up and their numbers grow.
There is no doubt that we did have a habit of sitting on our hands waiting to be entertained. That appears to be a thing of the past and watching Hibs is starting to become a participation event. That can only be a good thing.

Spot on. The songs and atmosphere make coming to Easter Road a more enjoyable experience, particularly for the younger fans. S43 and the others have made a huge difference. :flag:

jgl07
18-04-2017, 05:15 PM
i never went to OF matches when I didn't have a season ticket or had a Category B season ticket.I often missed them when I did have a full season ticket.

Ozyhibby
20-04-2017, 09:45 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170420/bba658fb550354de253a189d00be1e99.jpg
Not bad considering we have had no derbies or games against Celtic or Sevco.

Andy74
20-04-2017, 09:53 AM

Personally don't take my daughter to OF games or derbies.

mjhibby
20-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Wont take my wee guy to old firm or derby games. Hate the atmosphere and when he is old enough he can go if he wants to.

Lancs Harp
20-04-2017, 10:48 AM

Im not sure that figure for us is totally right, the other day i took all our league gates from the programme added the QOTS gate and worked it out myself, it was above 15000, I thnk 15.200 or 15,300 something. Despite the date on that i reckon they missed the last game off.

mjhibby
20-04-2017, 12:09 PM

Two things stand out for me apart from the Hertz figures no way reflecting reality is just how low Aberdeens figures are. It shows that finishing so far behind Celtic isn't getting bum on seats at pittodrie and finishing second doesn't mean a lot to the fans. Secondly the Arabs being 6th highest even though they are in the championship and the gap between them and the dons. Outside the top 5 attendances it shows how we are so poor in the football sense and why having us,sevco and Hertz out of the league has harmed the game. Scottish football needs either far bigger crowds or major investment or the day either the clubs or the national team are competitive seems a long way off.

GreenPJ
20-04-2017, 12:17 PM

4 of the top 10 were Championship clubs - still the authorities bury their head in the sand and do nothing about restructure. Fair play to Dunfermline and Falkirk with no old firm to supplement their numbers.

Marco G
20-04-2017, 03:14 PM
4 of the top 10 were Championship clubs - still the authorities bury their head in the sand and do nothing about restructure. Fair play to Dunfermline and Falkirk with no old firm to supplement their numbers.
It's not the authorities, it's the clubs. Top division teams don't want to dilute the prize pot. That is why teams like Hamilton can survive on lousy crowds, cause they earn most of their income from the prize fund.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

beensaidbefore
20-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Huge missed opportunity. Said a couple of times that we should be selling merchandise from a stall at the very least. I'm sure there are plenty of tourists who would like a hibs top/scarf/pin badge/etc etc etc. Wouldn't take a lot to organise really.

Kato
20-04-2017, 04:40 PM
I see the Yams attendance figure they made up for this year, is exactly the same as the one the made up for last year.

Cut and paste is sometimes not best idea.