PDA

View Full Version : Sol

greenlex
16-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Listening to a radio 5 programme about the history of singing at football called the football fans songbook. It's an hour long and just only over half way through. Liverpools YNWA had just been discussed and I was getting a bit worried we were gonna get ignored. Shouldn't have worried about 38 mins in and there we are with a wee bit from Craig and Charlie. The whole thing is actually reletively interesting and an hour long. Worth catching on I player fior those interested.

WoreTheGreen
16-04-2017, 07:37 PM
SOL. Nicky Cambell heatzs "fan" said the best football soung ever

greenlex
16-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Described by Mark Radcliffe as Spine tingling.🇳🇬💚

worcesterhibby
16-04-2017, 07:58 PM
I thought this was gonna be a thread about Mr Bamba ! lol:greengrin

Golden Bear
16-04-2017, 08:53 PM
I thought this was gonna be a thread about Mr Bamba ! lol:greengrin

My first thought also!

😁

16-04-2017, 09:47 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08m9zmz

iwasthere1972
16-04-2017, 10:15 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08m9zmz

:aok:

Paper Roses by Marie Osmond right after Sunshine on Leith.

No contest.

I was waiting on the Hearts anthem. "And they called it Budgie love" by Donny Osmond.

pacorosssco
16-04-2017, 10:46 PM
Listening to a radio 5 programme about the history of singing at football called the football fans songbook. It's an hour long and just only over half way through. Liverpools YNWA had just been discussed and I was getting a bit worried we were gonna get ignored. Shouldn't have worried about 38 mins in and there we are with a wee bit from Craig and Charlie. The whole thing is actually reletively interesting and an hour long. Worth catching on I player fior those interested.

I know from musical but did it say why liverpool adopted?. Was musical not about US soldiers returning from war?? Vietnam?

pacorosssco
16-04-2017, 10:48 PM

SOL a unique song only sang in victory or in past before derbies on occasion. Never sang during a game

CropleyWasGod
16-04-2017, 10:50 PM
I know from musical but did it say why liverpool adopted?. Was musical not about US soldiers returning from war?? Vietnam?
The musical was Carousel, which was about a woman in the US in the early 20th Century who falls in love with a fairground worker.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

pacorosssco
16-04-2017, 11:03 PM
The musical was Carousel, which was about a woman in the US in the early 20th Century who falls in love with a fairground worker.

Many support also sang it right? Wasnt originally a song sung grounds all over UK. I knew carousel but id always thought it was a war themed musical even though ive never seen it :(

CropleyWasGod
16-04-2017, 11:24 PM
Many support also sang it right? Wasnt originally a song sung grounds all over UK. I knew carousel but id always thought it was a war themed musical even though ive never seen it :(
IIRC, it became popular with football fans in the 60s after Gerry and the Pacemakers had a hit with it. You're right that lots of fans sang it, but it stuck with Liverpool because the band were from there.

lucky
16-04-2017, 11:27 PM
I remember Hibs fans singing it as recent as the Scottish cup semi final against Livingston

Mibbes Aye
17-04-2017, 01:04 AM
I remember Hibs fans singing it as recent as the Scottish cup semi final against Livingston

There was a period when it was a relatively popular song, from memory circa the nineties while we were still in the top flight. It tended to be late on though and nowhere near as common as the likes of "We Are Hibernian FC....".

In fairness, the support was nowhere near as vocal then. Anyone worrying about us being quiet should think back to home games against the likes of Kilmarnock from those days when the most noise made was disagreement amongst ourselves about the merits of Joe Tortolano. Some cracking arguments and the occasional fight in the East about Super Joe T

I've never been comfortable with YNWA and don't like the way Celtc fans appropriated it. For me it's a Liverpool song and while every support steals songs from one another, it should be left to LFC as it has resonance with their loss at Hillsborough.

CWG is right, it was a song from Carousel before Gerry and the Pacemakers made it a pop hit. Maybe just as well they didn't go with '"June Is Bustin' Out All Over" :greengrin

pacorosssco
17-04-2017, 01:18 AM

The 3-0 game?? 2001ish. I cant recall but dont dispute. Was the song from terrace 91 cup win but as celtic jumped on died out mostly after then as I recall at Hibs. Celtic as I loosely remember embraced with Kenny and connection from friendly game after tradegy Hillsborough

Peevemor
17-04-2017, 01:19 AM
The Proclaimers sang YNWA at the Hands off Hibs rally at ER.

pacorosssco
17-04-2017, 01:39 AM
The Proclaimers sang YNWA at the Hands off Hibs rally at ER.

Yes and SOL was not long before a hit album . Shows the song was a powerful player of the Hibs support at time. I honestly cant remember when SOL became more prominent but loose memory of sung before games. AEK I think we sang before KO

Pete
17-04-2017, 06:56 AM
:aok:

Paper Roses by Marie Osmond right after Sunshine on Leith.

No contest.

Have to agree with the guy at the end and say the greasy chip butty song. Spine-tingling, funny and self deprecating all at the same time.

Next time I have a drink I'll probably end up posting Hibs versions with Edinburgh references. Just ignore them. :-D

RoxburghHibs
17-04-2017, 07:09 AM
The 3-0 game?? 2001ish. I cant recall but dont dispute. Was the song from terrace 91 cup win but as celtic jumped on died out mostly after then as I recall at Hibs. Celtic as I loosely remember embraced with Kenny and connection from friendly game after tradegy Hillsborough

I've read this post twice and still have no clue to its meaning.

Green_one
17-04-2017, 07:12 AM
SOL a unique song only sang in victory or in past before derbies on occasion. Never sang during a game

Recently probably true but i recall us singing it at half time against Rangers at ER when Mowbray was manager. We won later.

Waxy
17-04-2017, 07:20 AM
I've read this post twice and still have no clue to its meaning.
Took me a few reads but he's on about the last time he heard us sing ynwa.

Pedantic_Hibee
17-04-2017, 07:27 AM
AEK at half-time was the first one I remember where it properly took off. That was electric.

greenlex
17-04-2017, 07:40 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oHdSaPt8RyA

pacorosssco
17-04-2017, 07:41 AM
Took me a few reads but he's on about the last time he heard us sing ynwa.

He is indeed and when SOL arrived??

EastThomasSTboy
17-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Being 60yrs old, I can remember singing it all the way through the late 60s early 70s, loads of clubs fans sang it.
I even remember an article from "Shoot" magazine that said the best version of that song in 1972, was awarded to the Hibs fans renditition in the 1972 LC Final win over Cellick.

The most "bizarre" singing ever, used to happen at Brockville, very early 70s, as they used to just sing the Top 10 pop tunes, without changing the words, and with no connection to their Football team. It was "Weird".

17-04-2017, 09:51 AM
A few football social media pages have posted about it since saturday and they have recieved comments from fans all across the UK saying how brilliant it is and that they wish their clubs had something similar.

We are very lucky to have SoL. A really special song that is just ours. I often see it being compared to YNWA and although YNWA is a brilliant, spine tingling song, it is copied by many clubs, it isn't unique to one club (although i will always view it as Liverpools song).

SoL is the envy of many other clubs fans, none more so than our neighbours. I've seen some of them give it "that song is ****" etc etc but they would LOVE to have a song like it. Jealousy written all over it. I do however have a few decent jambo mates who have admitted in the past that its a great song and wish hearts had something similar.

17-04-2017, 09:56 AM

I've seen it attempted but it's a difficult song to sing without the music, everyone ends up going at different paces lol.

FilipinoHibs
17-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Remember YNWA being sung in mid seventues at ER.

Vini1875
17-04-2017, 10:05 AM
I don't know if I'm getting old or grumpy or both, but I feel SOL loses something because of the lack of colour displayed. Too many people on mobile phones trying to capture the moment for Youtube or Facebook instead of scarves and flags aloft, also less and less people wearing scarves or waving flags.

When I'm standing in among all my fellow fans singing it, having just won a cup or important game there is nothing like it and it never loses its magic. Later when I want to watch it on Youtube I wish more people would raise a scarf in salute. I do get that people or TV cameras have to film it for it to be on Youtube and I am expecting those people to hold a scarf aloft and film at the same time. As I said old and grumpy.

Drumlanrig
17-04-2017, 10:12 AM

???

Is that you Cathro?

pacorosssco
17-04-2017, 10:16 AM
???

Is that you Cathro?

Ive been places and seen stuff the rest is schematicos. Im not levein and wont budge

GloryGlory
17-04-2017, 10:20 AM
A few football social media pages have posted about it since saturday and they have recieved comments from fans all across the UK saying how brilliant it is and that they wish their clubs had something similar.

We are very lucky to have SoL. A really special song that is just ours. I often see it being compared to YNWA and although YNWA is a brilliant, spine tingling song, it is copied by many clubs, it isn't unique to one club (although i will always view it as Liverpools song).

SoL is the envy of many other clubs fans, none more so than our neighbours. I've seen some of them give it "that song is ****" etc etc but they would LOVE to have a song like it. Jealousy written all over it. I do however have a few decent jambo mates who have admitted in the past that its a great song and wish hearts had something similar.

Twilight on Gorgie, perhaps? :greengrin

pacorosssco
17-04-2017, 10:24 AM

Jim ill fix it for you

tomf
17-04-2017, 10:51 AM

I completely agree. Whilst fans of most clubs simply appropriate songs, Sunshine On Leith is very special in that it was written by two great songwriters who are also fans of the club and it is a great song in its own right and the subject matter locates the song in Leith where Hibs have their roots. There was a discussion recently on Off The Ball that mentioned how special Hibs were in terms of songwriters and writers associated with the club; there are some famous names and some not so well known ones...which is where I would include songwriters like myself. It is a kind of intangible quality but, for me, it is all about the Hibs way, which I have always seen as class...not cheating, style, not bragging. I would suggest that fans of most other clubs would love to have a song like Sunshine On Leith to sing when they lift a cup or win a league and I might suggest to someone like Dean Owens, who is an excellent songwriter whom I have played on my show, and who is also a Hearts fan that he might be able to come up with a decent anthem for them...except to say that going by his recent comment on Off The Ball that as a Hearts fan he "felt superior to Hibs; I don't know why? I just do" it might help if he had a reality check. Writing a song that you want to be associated with your club that immortalises their arrogance wouldn't be my choice and it certainly wouldn't be the Hibs way. I hope this post doesn't come across as self promotion; it wasn't intended in that way but I do know a bit about song writing and if I was going to mention a decent but less well known (as opposed to The Proclaimers) jambo songwriter I feel duty bound to mention a decent Hibs one a well so I have to acknowledge that guy Tom Fairnie...alright that isn't exactly Hibs class but it seemed daft to mention Dean Owen by name and leave myself as TomF...you'd think I was a rapper.

CockneyRebel
17-04-2017, 11:00 AM
AEK at half-time was the first one I remember where it properly took off. That was electric.

That's when I realised we had adopted SOL - some atmosphere at that game!

mjhibby
17-04-2017, 11:20 AM
I know some might think it sacrilege but the singing at the 5-1 LC final win is the most amazing singing I've ever heard. Think atmosphere at the aek Athens game is probably the best atmosphere but the singing at the lc final was spine tingling with the stands shaking to Chelsea dagger.

Bristolhibby
17-04-2017, 11:32 AM
I know some might think it sacrilege but the singing at the 5-1 LC final win is the most amazing singing I've ever heard. Think atmosphere at the aek Athens game is probably the best atmosphere but the singing at the lc final was spine tingling with the stands shaking to Chelsea dagger.

That's my best memory (missed last years Cup win), it was pre iPhones so we all just stood there, scarves aloft belting it out, wee tear in the eye.

God I love Hibs!

J

Fro62_in_Leith
17-04-2017, 01:04 PM

Don't know why the ****bos don't adopt this song as their club anthem.

https://youtu.be/RnXaWmOzxXo

Iggy Pope
17-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Remember YNWA being sung in mid seventues at ER.

It was sung at most places including the quick version with handclaps :greengrin No one touches Liverpool IMO. It is their anthem, part of their identity.
Just like I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles belongs to West Ham, there were plenty versions up here. "Jam Tarts always running, Rangers running too. Hibees fans are running, and running after you" :singing:

And a wee bit further up the thread I'm sure Nicky Campbell is a hun?

Green Reaper
17-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Met 2 donsfans in the Oak on friday and when they found out I was a Hibby the first thing they mentioned was sol. They said it is the best song they have heard at a game and it was spine tingling. They wished they had a song like that that just belongs to them

Betty Boop
17-04-2017, 03:22 PM
It was sung at most places including the quick version with handclaps :greengrin No one touches Liverpool IMO. It is their anthem, part of their identity.
Just like I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles belongs to West Ham, there were plenty versions up here. "Jam Tarts always running, Rangers running too. Hibees fans are running, and running after you" :singing:

And a wee bit further up the thread I'm sure Nicky Campbell is a hun?

Nicky Campbell is defo a Jambo.

OxoHibby
17-04-2017, 03:39 PM

When YNWA is sang its generally just the chorus. When Solis sung it's usually the full song or at least first verse and chorus. Doesn't work so well with only the chorus so doesn't just strike up during games. Helps to make it unique