PDA

View Full Version : Alan Stubbs

16-04-2017, 09:41 AM
First of all, absolutely not taking anything away from Lennon here because he's came in and done a fantastic job and achieved the biggest goal of the season with games to spare and of course taken us back to hampden in our trophy defence. But huge huge credit must still go to Stubbs as he built this team. He came in when the club was in dire straits and had to build up a team from scratch. Made some fantastic signings in McGinn, McGeough, Fyvie, Bartley, Gray, McGreagor etc etc.

He may not have got us promoted in his time here but he built the team that ended the scottish cup curse and built a strong unit that righted a lot of wrongs from the past and will hopefully go on to achieve more.

Alan Stubbs, you Sir will always be a legend :not worth:flag:

biotech
16-04-2017, 09:54 AM
True, Stubbs signings are the backbone of the team. Lennon seems to have added a bit more 'grit' to the side.

Could see Stubbs back one day.

Johnny Clash
16-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Stubbsy will always be a Cup winning legend and he's not too proud to admit now that he made the wrong decision to leave Hibs. I was disappointed at the time but realise that we have an even better Hibs manager as a result of Stubbsy seeing Rotherham as a better option than staying at Easter Road.

Hope we can hold on to Lennon for a long time.

Sas_The_Hibby
16-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Stubbs did a good job. You could argue he could have done better, with regard to promotion, but the Cup win, allied to the fact we have now gone up a year later, makes any such talk fairly redundant. Plus we had no luck in the play-off against Houston's Hoofers.

Lennon's job has been made much easier by inheriting the team that Stubbs had developed.

lucky
16-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Stubbs delivered the Holy Grail but chose to leave but he will always be a legend but we've both moved on now and Lenny has got us promoted which was the main objective this season. The credit for promotion goes to Neil Lennon and his team

Northernhibee
16-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Stubbs rebuilt so much of this team. He took over a shambles of a team (half a team at that) and brought in quality and good football. He handled the Scott Allan saga with dignity and class and was rewarded at the end of the season with the greatest day in history for the club.

He moved to the wrong job and I hope that he finds his feet again as he's a good manager, an absolute gentleman and a Hibernian legend.

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Stubbs laid the foundations and built the shell,Lennon finished the job and added some great fixtures and fittings.

jacomo
16-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Stubbs did a great job and earned his place in our club's history.

Ozyhibby
16-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Stubbs jumped ship for Rotherham with the job not done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heidtheba
16-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Lennon added grit to the side and took us over the line, I've never seen a Hibs team 'boss' Hearts like we did in the first leg this year, normally our teams would have folded.
BUT, any other manager between Lennon's time and Butcher's (apologies) had a e gonehelluva bridging job to do and I can't think of a single Hibs manager, perhaps other than Mowbray, who could have taken us from May 2014 to today. The psychology Stubbs must have needed to use to get the team/fans up from that low was epic and I think he showed that again last year when he lifted the team enough from the League Cup game, the Falkirk games and into the Cup final.

Stubbs did a lot more than have Hibs playing football.

Colr
16-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Stubbs laid the foundations and built the shell,Lennon finished the job and added some great fixtures and fittings.

And it was a shell. We barely had a team to put out at the beginning of his first season.

I like the grit that Lennon brings. We've been missing that for many manny years.

hfc rd
16-04-2017, 12:39 PM
Legend

Always welcome back at ER.

matty_f
16-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Lennon added grit to the side and took us over the line, I've never seen a Hibs team 'boss' Hearts like we did in the first leg this year, normally our teams would have folded.
BUT, any other manager between Lennon's time and Butcher's (apologies) had a e gonehelluva bridging job to do and I can't think of a single Hibs manager, perhaps other than Mowbray, who could have taken us from May 2014 to today. The psychology Stubbs must have needed to use to get the team/fans up from that low was epic and I think he showed that again last year when he lifted the team enough from the League Cup game, the Falkirk games and into the Cup final.

Stubbs did a lot more than have Hibs playing football.

Stubbs' side did well against Hearts.

southsider
16-04-2017, 12:46 PM
May get the Dumdee job when Hartley gets sacked tomorrow

Billy Whizz
16-04-2017, 12:51 PM

Where are you hearing this from?

Sas_The_Hibby
16-04-2017, 12:57 PM
Where are you hearing this from?

Anywhere you can buy a steak bake! ;-)

J-C
16-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Lennon did acknowledge Stubbs in his post match interview, he said Stubbs laid the bricks of a good solid squad.

Onion
16-04-2017, 01:07 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/anthony-brown-intoxicating-period-set-to-continue-for-hibs-1-4420892

Good analysis and read, acknowledging Stubbs roll in where we are today. :thumbsup:

Smartie
16-04-2017, 01:08 PM
You just need to read the "team that took us down" thread to realise how good a job Stubbs did.

Think about the team that finished the 2013-2014 season and the way they were playing and think about the way Stubbs had us playing by the end of 2014 and remember that within 2 years he'd lifted the Scottish Cup.

I think we can forgive him an iffy career move.

Lago
16-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Admire him for the cup win, but I'm not sure we would have been promoted if he had stayed rather than joining the sinking ship called Rotherham.

Mick O'Rourke
16-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Possibly Alan will be a tv pundit for Saturdays game.
Am sure if we make the Final, he will be a guest of the club, if not doing tv duties.

Like all the squad from last season, he will,of course, forever be welcome at The Holy Ground and local hostelries.
I think some one already mentioned that it would be a nice gesture if he is invited by the club to attend Easter Road for the St.Mirren game.

16-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Surely they wouldn't sack Hartley at such a critical point of the season when they are fighting for their lives?

16-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Stubbs delivered the Holy Grail but chose to leave but he will always be a legend but we've both moved on now and Lenny has got us promoted which was the main objective this season. The credit for promotion goes to Neil Lennon and his team

100% and as I said in the OP, i'm not taking anything away from Lennon at all but Stubbs deserves a great deal of credit for building this team.

lyonhibs
16-04-2017, 03:22 PM
He's a legend. Immortal forever.

But let's not have a myth growing legs that Lennon just took "Stubbs' team" to promotion like this pish that some folk sporadically spout about JC's League Cup winning team.

heretoday
16-04-2017, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;5012099]Stubbs jumped ship for Rotherham with the job not done.

He had his reasons.

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Stubbs jumped ship for Rotherham with the job not done.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYou post more negative rubbish than every other poster combined. Stubbs left on the highest possible high.

lyonhibs
16-04-2017, 03:58 PM
You post more negative rubbish than every other poster combined. Stubbs left on the highest possible high.

With us still in the Championship. Promotion from that is "the job" referred to.

keep the faith
You post more negative rubbish than every other poster combined. Stubbs left on the highest possible high.

Correct.

heidtheba
Stubbs' side did well against Hearts.

Yep- they didn't do too badly at all! But my point was more the manner of that first leg tie this year. I don't think I've seen a Hibs team play that way. It wasn't pretty but it did the job needed. Something, to me anyway, just seemed a lot more 'gritty' about that performance at Tynie this year.

Ozyhibby
16-04-2017, 04:01 PM

Which part is not true?

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2017, 04:01 PM
With us still in the Championship. Promotion from that is "the job" referred to.I know what he is referring to but it is still really negative. In 50 years who is going to give a flying **** about the extra year down here compared to the scenes on May 21st?

Stubbs is one of the greatest managers in this clubs history and always will be.

Arch Stanton
16-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Lennon is a good manager and I would be happy for him to stay but, to be honest, I think Stubbs would have got us promoted had he stayed. And on balance I would actually prefer Stubbs because his signings were better.

I disagree with the Lennon adding 'grit' thing - the team was up for the big games but that was ever the case. I watched Hibs play some dreadfully anemic performances this year against teams who just dug in and did a job against us. I'm not saying Stubbs would have done any better - I just think he would have done as well.

Lago
16-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Stubbs is history, like Mowbury etc we move on.

Thecat23
16-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Stubbs is history, like Mowbury etc we move on.

I think he may play some part in our future as well!

Lago
16-04-2017, 04:35 PM
I just cant see it to be honest, but never say never I suppose. Would be a supprise to me.

Ozyhibby
16-04-2017, 04:37 PM

I heard the same.

Lago
16-04-2017, 04:38 PM
I heard the same.

Ok what did you here specifically?

Billy Whizz
16-04-2017, 04:40 PM
I heard the same.

Rumour was around a few years weeks ago, can't see Lennon moving on now

J-C
16-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Rumour was around a few years weeks ago, can't see Lennon moving on now

Unless his remit was to get us up and improve his own CV into the bargain, I still feel he sees himself at a bigger English club, not that I'm wanting him to go but it is football after all.

Arch Stanton
16-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Unless his remit was to get us up and improve his own CV into the bargain, I still feel he sees himself at a bigger English club, not that I'm wanting him to go but it is football after all.

I can see logic in that - a 'hard nut' manager who can transform the fortunes of under-performing teams. Even the spat with JD would have done his profile no harm.

Lago
16-04-2017, 05:26 PM
So in reality no one knows anything specific about Stubbs apart from some rumours, which in pre internet days would be called pub gossip.

bingo70
16-04-2017, 05:39 PM
So in reality no one knows anything specific about Stubbs apart from some rumours, which in pre internet days would be called pub gossip.

Given there isn't any information in the public domain what sort of facts were you hoping for on an internet message board?

Of course rumours on here are the same as pub gossip.

Arch Stanton
16-04-2017, 05:53 PM

I don't know what pubs you frequent but speculating about what may happen in the future, round these parts, is called, er em, speculation.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-04-2017, 06:01 PM
With us still in the Championship. Promotion from that is "the job" referred to.

Ever heard of living in the moment?

Viva_Palmeiras
16-04-2017, 06:02 PM
I don't know what pubs you frequent but speculating about what may happen in the future, round these parts, is called, er em, speculation.

I think it's now called "click-bait"

jacomo
16-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Admire him for the cup win, but I'm not sure we would have been promoted if he had stayed rather than joining the sinking ship called Rotherham.

Who knows?

What we do know is that Alan and his team brought good football, pride and the Cup back to Easter Road.

Lago
16-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Given there isn't any information in the public domain what sort of facts were you hoping for on an internet message board?

Of course rumours on here are the same as pub gossip.
Rather a good piece on BBC sport Scotland with Leean, Craig Paterson &Mickie (he was a jambo) Stewart. Pretty plain that there is no thought in Dempster's mind that Lennon will be on his way, so I would say that is facts, but maybe you have heard different.

Lago
16-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Or what makes the grass grow green in Texas.

jacomo
16-04-2017, 08:16 PM

Stubbs gives interview saying he regrets leaving us.

Some speculate that Lennon doesn't see Hibs as a long term proposition.

2+2=5?

Even that might be overstating things as the 'speculation' about Lenny really does sound like idle gossip.

Super_JMcGinn
16-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Who knows?

What we do know is that Alan and his team brought good football, pride and the Cup back to Easter Road.

:top marks Enough said.

bingo70
16-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Rather a good piece on BBC sport Scotland with Leean, Craig Paterson &Mickie (he was a jambo) Stewart. Pretty plain that there is no thought in Dempster's mind that Lennon will be on his way, so I would say that is facts, but maybe you have heard different.

No, not heard anything other than the rumours on here that all seem pretty vague so unlikely.

If there was anything in it then Dempster certainly wouldn't be admitting it at this stage so the fact she's said what she did doesn't really mean anything imo in the same when Stubbs was saying he was planning for next season I thought it was quite obvious he'd be away somewhere.

The only reason I personally feel there is an element of doubt about it is tte rumour when he joined it was a one year deal with an option of a second deal. On top of that I felt a one year deal was a marriage of convenience so to speak, he'd repair the damage done to his cv by Bolton and we'd get promoted so win/win. Hearing how involved he's been with the development squad tends to make me think he's here for the big picture but I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves.

Lago
16-04-2017, 09:15 PM
No, not heard anything other than the rumours on here that all seem pretty vague so unlikely.

If there was anything in it then Dempster certainly wouldn't be admitting it at this stage so the fact she's said what she did doesn't really mean anything imo in the same when Stubbs was saying he was planning for next season I thought it was quite obvious he'd be away somewhere.

The only reason I personally feel there is an element of doubt about it is tte rumour when he joined it was a one year deal with an option of a second deal. On top of that I felt a one year deal was a marriage of convenience so to speak, he'd repair the damage done to his cv by Bolton and we'd get promoted so win/win. Hearing how involved he's been with the development squad tends to make me think he's here for the big picture but I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves.
Up until a short time ago I believed he would leave having met his & the club's target ie promotion. Having now had the opportunity to listen to his latest interview & to Leeann Dempsters answers to questions re Lennon & Hibs future plans, I now dont think he will move on for at least 2 or 3 years. Pretty much agree with all your other assessments.