PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Fyvie

Pedantic_Hibee
15-04-2017, 09:45 PM
Haven't seen a thread about him tonight.

Lovely little footballer, knits not just defence and midfield together but also plays it forward too.

He's got his detractors but I'm a lot more comfortable with him in the starting eleven. Never hides, always shows and always willing to take it with a man on him as well.

GoalsMcGinley
15-04-2017, 09:53 PM

Lovely little footballer, knits not just defence and midfield together but also plays it forward too.

He's got his detractors but I'm a lot more comfortable with him in the starting eleven. Never hides, always shows and always willing to take it with a man on him as well.

We are a FAR better side when he is in it. How it's taken Lennon this long to realise that is beyond me. MUST play next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Spaceman
15-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Has to play next week from the start. He will be out to hammer the Sheep.

monktonharp
15-04-2017, 09:55 PM

He's got his detractors but I'm a lot more comfortable with him in the starting eleven. Never hides, always shows and always willing to take it with a man on him as well.Immense today. must play next week. his passes were sublime, at times

SirDavidsNapper
15-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Has to play next week from the start. He will be out to hammer the Sheep.

Yup. His boyhood team as is Boyle's

007 Mickey Weir
15-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Great to see him back. That is our best midfield. Much more attacking. Please let him start next Sat. Please let him signs new deal for the champions!!

monktonharp
15-04-2017, 09:58 PM
We are a FAR better side when he is in it. How it's taken Lennon this long to realise that is beyond me. MUST play next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkoften wondered about that over the last few weeks, because he was fit for the last few games i'm sure. the ball was played on the grass today, and no real hoofball needed or giving payback as the tall forwards were absent.

spudhib
15-04-2017, 10:01 PM
Lennon gave him a run out today but he won't play next week Bartley McGinn in the mid next week with Boyle right and shinnie left and Jason and holt up top.

GoalsMcGinley
15-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Lennon gave him a run out today but he won't play next week Bartley McGinn in the mid next week with Boyle right and shinnie left and Jason and holt up top.

Can't see it. He was immense today. Deserves to play. Him and McGeough make us tick as a footballing side

Scooter
15-04-2017, 10:04 PM
I'm a big fan of Fyvie I'd hate to see him leave

IberianHibernian
15-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Fyvie and McGeoch even when not at their best are a huge part of what makes us really look like the best team in the division and at least half in the division above . The whole team looks better with them and without them we are more like a championship team as recent run of draws has shown .

spudhib
15-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Fyvie and McGeoch even when not at their best are a huge part of what makes us really look like the best team in the division and at least half in the division above . The whole team looks better with them and without them we are more like a championship team as recent run of draws has shown .

Mcgeouch playing left mid today confirms Lennon doesn't see him as a starter when all are fit strange decision from the manager imo.

Vault Boy
15-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Big fan, hope he stays in the long term. Makes us tick.

SCHAEDYSHORTS
15-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Though the whole midfield were immense today, same next week please!

overdrive
15-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Jack of all trades, master of none. Prefer Bartley.

SaulGoodman
15-04-2017, 10:35 PM

Bartley is good at breaking up play, but gets a nosebleed whenever he picks the ball up anywhere past 30 yards towards goal. Fyvie is part of our best midfield at the moment.

kevinc
15-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Disagree , I think we will see a starting line very similar to to today.

Sir David Gray
15-04-2017, 10:46 PM
Disagree , I think we will see a starting line very similar to to today.

I hope so.

McGeouch and Fyvie really make such a big difference to the way that we play.

Dunfyhibee
15-04-2017, 10:51 PM
Very good performance by Fyvie, part of our best midfield and when he, McGeouch and McGinn play we can be fantastic to watch. All can be very creative and also burst a gut to cover eachother

hibeg
15-04-2017, 10:59 PM
Bollox

J-C
15-04-2017, 11:00 PM
Mcgeouch playing left mid today confirms Lennon doesn't see him as a starter when all are fit strange decision from the manager imo.

Not where I saw him play, one minute he was DM, then the next he was right, then again he was through the middle. Dylan, Fyvie and McGinn we very good today, their interaction and movement was a joy to watch, when 2 drove forward the other would hold back and sit deep, there was total freedom of movement and position, no one played in any set position in midfield today and the performance showed it worked.

hibs4life
15-04-2017, 11:00 PM

Eh? Big fan of both players but Fyvie much the better footballer and capable of moving the ball with more pace and accuracy than Marv.
Marv wins on physicality, combativeness and breaking down opposition attacks. So, horses for courses, but 'Jack of all trades and master of none'? Seems like that's an unfair and inaccurate critique.
Don't quite get why it appears so many 'fans' are so quick to publicly slate our own players. Discussing their merits, positive or otherwise, is a different matter...

SMAXXA
15-04-2017, 11:02 PM

Don't talk guff. He will play next week 100% it will be one of Dylan, shinnie to drop out. That's if indeed big Marv is lucky to come in. As much as I love big Marv, we took a statue up front out the equation and a less mobile centre mid player out the team today and it was a joy to watch. I would sacrifice one of the midfield for Marv next week wouldn't be FF though

SirDavidsNapper
15-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Don't talk guff. He will play next week 100% it will be one of Dylan, shinnie to drop out. That's if indeed big Marv is lucky to come in. As much as I love big Marv, we took a statue up front out the equation and a less mobile centre mid player out the team today and it was a joy to watch. I would sacrifice one of the midfield for Marc next week wouldn't be FF though

Its a difficult one for Lennon. Shinnie always performs in the big games.

RoxburghHibs
15-04-2017, 11:08 PM

Hope you are wrong as we played our best midfield today and doubt Holt will start.

Green Badger
15-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Very good footballer, range of passing and movement excellent. Was great today, but might not start next week as we might need Bartley with his ability to disrupt and distribute.

PercyHibs
15-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Immense today. must play next week. his passes were sublime, at times

I thought he had a decent game today but to say his passing was sublime is absolute rubbish. He breaks up play great but his distribution is poor.

AlbertK86
15-04-2017, 11:18 PM
I thought he had a decent game today but to say his passing was sublime is absolute rubbish. He breaks up play great but his distribution is poor.

Blind ... that is all

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Silver Fox
15-04-2017, 11:37 PM
I reckon Bartley will start, he always plays in the big games

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2017, 12:04 AM

Pish.

overdrive
16-04-2017, 12:17 AM
Pish.

With Bartley you know what you get. Defensively sound and will give the ball to the "footballers". Fyvie is average in the tackle, slow, ponderous, albeit a better passer than Bartley. Offers virtually nothing going forward, I'd argue Bartley is actually better in that regard.

Fyvie won't start next week.

Vault Boy
16-04-2017, 12:28 AM
With Bartley you know what you get. Defensively sound and will give the ball to the "footballers". Fyvie is average in the tackle, slow, ponderous, albeit a better passer than Bartley. Offers virtually nothing going forward, I'd argue Bartley is actually better in that regard.

We're lucky he wasn't a mainstay in our cup winning midfield last year given how little he offers.

blackpoolhibs
16-04-2017, 12:38 AM
I think you saw our best midfield today, from what we have available they are what i'd play most weeks in this division.

Now next week, its a quandry, because Bartley has been immense when we've played better teams, not better than us but teams who have tried to attack us, and play football.

Its a difficult one, one i'm not sure about, as with the three who played today, they are all cup winners, and legends, and maybe its no coincidence we had one of our best performances at last?

I don't envy Lennons decision.

Big L
16-04-2017, 07:58 AM
When Fyvie plays Hibs play good football! He picks up the ball from the back 4 and starts the moves, always their to take a pass, if he's fit he has to play.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Fyvie's biggest hindrance is his own inconsistencies not fans' opinions. Play like yesterday and it would only injuries or suspension that would keep him out.

JimBHibees
16-04-2017, 08:05 AM
I think you saw our best midfield today, from what we have available they are what i'd play most weeks in this division.

Now next week, its a quandry, because Bartley has been immense when we've played better teams, not better than us but teams who have tried to attack us, and play football.

Its a difficult one, one i'm not sure about, as with the three who played today, they are all cup winners, and legends, and maybe its no coincidence we had one of our best performances at last?

I don't envy Lennons decision.

Agree it is a quandry and difficult call as Aberdeen are strong in midfield and we will need to defend well. Can see the merits either way however if given the choice would likely go with yesterday's midfield.

JimBHibees
16-04-2017, 08:07 AM
We're lucky he wasn't a mainstay in our cup winning midfield last year given how little he offers.

Yep had a huge hand in goals 2 and 3.

Thegreenside
16-04-2017, 08:20 AM
Fyvie's biggest hindrance is his own inconsistencies not fans' opinions. Play like yesterday and it would only injuries or suspension that would keep him out.

If he was consistent he would be no where near hibs. Tbh I think he has a enough good performances he can have the occasional off day

16-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Yep, always been a Fyvie fan! I would definatly start Bartley next week, the sort of game he really thrives in.

The Spaceman
16-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Really like both Fyvie and Marv.

Fyvie is the better player when it comes to making Hibs tick into attack from the back. He makes space for himself and is always eager to get on the ball. He allows play to be spread more quickly. Marv is just a unit who breaks up attack after attack from the opposition. They are two great options to have and hope we have both next season.

we are hibs
16-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Bartley should and will start ahead of him next week.

WWFTWTG
16-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Was involved in everything yesterday - top player

The Leith Dutch
16-04-2017, 08:44 AM
I think Bartley should start next week as he is our best player for breaking up opposition attacks in the midfield which I reckon we'll need to keep Aberdeen out.

I have a lot of time for Fyvie but I don't think you can play both him and Bartley in the same team.

Bartley against the better attacking teams and Fyvie against weaker attacking teams is the way for me.

rotherhamrob
16-04-2017, 08:44 AM
I'm in the Fyvie before Bartley camp every time. It would be interesting to see how many times we've won and how many goals scored when Fyvie/Dylan and sjm have started.
I also have to say I like marv and he would be a good player to bring on if we're defending a lead near the end,but to be in that position we need to score and I think yesterdays midfield has more about it in an attacking sense.

Mainstandman
16-04-2017, 08:45 AM
When Fyvie plays Hibs play good football! He picks up the ball from the back 4 and starts the moves, always their to take a pass, if he's fit he has to play.

Correctamundo, when hes not been there McGinn has been doing that and we want mcginn further up the pitch not playing the fyvie, role

eastcoasthibby
16-04-2017, 09:01 AM

Sorry but not true at all ..Fyvie is a much better player than Bartley ever will be ! He is a footballer with footballing brain and provides us with much more as an individual and team player , he reads the game, can play short and long passes , plays threaded passes, links up the game brilliantly, always wants the ball, wins more headers than Bartley even tough he's about 6-7 inches shorter , doesn't panic when under pressure with the ball , wins tackles .. Bartley breaks up play, is sound defensively, he is very limited in his ability to link up play, his positional play is limited in that when he plays as a two in central midfield it doesn't work he gets caught out of position and sits too deep, he offers little at all going forward, slows the game down , can't jump and header for a 6 foot + guy ..in saying this he serves a purpose in a defensive set up but most of the time he gives us little in a game ..just my opinion ...I think what he does in breaking play up can be done just as well by Fyvie and Fyvie gives us lots more positives as well...so for me I hope that if we want to succeed next week NL needs play Fyvie !!

Hibeewilly
16-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Sorry but not true at all ..Fyvie is a much better player than Bartley ever will be ! He is a footballer with footballing brain and provides us with much more as an individual and team player , he reads the game, can play short and long passes , plays threaded passes, links up the game brilliantly, always wants the ball, wins more headers than Bartley even tough he's about 6-7 inches shorter , doesn't panic when under pressure with the ball , wins tackles .. Bartley breaks up play, is sound defensively, he is very limited in his ability to link up play, his positional play is limited in that when he plays as a two in central midfield it doesn't work he gets caught out of position and sits too deep, he offers little at all going forward, slows the game down , can't jump and header for a 6 foot + guy ..in saying this he serves a purpose in a defensive set up but most of the time he gives us little in a game ..just my opinion ...I think what he does in breaking play up can be done just as well by Fyvie and Fyvie gives us lots more positives as well...so for me I hope that if we want to succeed next week NL needs play Fyvie !!
Very well put ECH I agree totally:top marks:agree:

theonlywayisup
16-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Fyvie was excellent yesterday. I do think we play better when he's in the team. Bartley is a different type of player and one that's needed against the better teams.

I don't think you can drop Fyvie after yesterday's game, nor any of the midfield four. It's the same team for me.

The Leith Dutch
16-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Fyvie was excellent yesterday. I do think we play better when he's in the team. Bartley is a different type of player and one that's needed against the better teams.

I don't think you can drop Fyvie after yesterday's game, nor any of the midfield four. It's the same team for me.

Yesterday we played a mid table Championship team that have lost more games than they've won and been on a bit of a slide.
Saturday we play a team that are fairly comfortably the second best team in the country currently, score an average of 2 goals a game and who have won 8 of their last 10 league games.

Not saying we necessarily should drop any of them but it's a completely different game and I think there's a fair argument for the destructive play of Bartley over the more finessed game Fyvie plays.

wookie70
16-04-2017, 10:10 AM
When Fyvie plays like he did yesterday he offers about 90% of what Marv does defensively but is in another league when we have the ball. He constantly makes angles that drag the opposition out of position and is always looking for the ball. He does play the odd poor pass but all midfielders do that. He must start ahead of Bartley next week as Aberdeen are not like Falkirk and Hearts where a big physical presence is required. I also think our best form of defense may be attack and FF offers so much more than Marv in that regard. I would play the same team as yesterday in the semi.

GreenOnions
16-04-2017, 10:22 AM
FF is one of three or four whose names would be on my team sheet every week.

Really enjoyed watching him play yesterday and a real winner IMHO.

brog
16-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Incredibly, that's only the 2nd time all season that Fyvie, Dylan & SJM have started a match, the other was 1-1 vs Dundee United. Before that the 1st time they started was on 21/5/16, can't remember the result! IMO Dylan & SJM love playing with (& off) FF. He plays about 10 yards further up the pitch than Marv & this allows SJM & DM to take the ball from him in more advanced & dangerous positions instead of in our own half when Marv is in the team.
Fyvie should start next week ( though I can see the argument for Marv ) & Holt/Graham should be nowhere near the team.

Juice-Terry
16-04-2017, 10:28 AM
I'm one of FF's biggest critics, but I'll happily hold my hands up and agree that he had a very good game yesterday.

KeithTheHibby
16-04-2017, 10:33 AM

If McGeoch is fit he will play next week from the start. McGinn will also play so it's any 2 from Boyle, Shinnie, Fyvie and Bartley. Unless of course NL goes with Boyle up top with JC.

jacomo
16-04-2017, 10:37 AM

Unwarranted criticism IMO.

I like Fyvie a lot but his form during the winter was very poor.

B.H.F.C
16-04-2017, 10:45 AM

Agree with that. He obviously has bits to his game that Marv doesn't. But at the point he was dropped he could have absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

Jag7
16-04-2017, 10:49 AM
That was our best midfield yesterday and should stay that way barring injuries, if we could have fielded them for the last 2 months we would have skooshed this league. !!!

brog
16-04-2017, 10:49 AM

I think it's fully warranted criticism though I agree FF did not always play to his usual high standards this season. A bit off topic but I think the bigger criticism is that it took NL the best part of a season to work out we don't need a big target man up front. Having every player from midfield forward with mobility compared to Holt/Graham was a breath of fresh air.

emerald green
16-04-2017, 11:22 AM

Keech / nonsense post. Fraser Fyvie was playing football in Aberdeen's first team when he was only 16 years old IIRC.

"Master of none". Aye OK then. :rolleyes:

Kato
16-04-2017, 11:23 AM

You really do position and couch your opinions in a really strange way.

Unseen work
16-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Fyvie is a quality player, personally can't believe how underrated he is and the lack of respect shown towards him by some.

He is also a leader.

Ozyhibby
16-04-2017, 11:26 AM
We'd be mad to let Fyvie go. He is just coming into his peak years. If we do let him go he'll end up at Aberdeen or Hearts and we'll regret it.

.Sean.
16-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Fyvie is a quality player, personally can't believe how underrated he is and the lack of respect shown towards him by some.

He is also a leader.
He'd be in my team every week.

He had an almighty dip in form a month or two back and rightly found himself benched but other than that he's been one of the best players at the club since the day he signed.

J-C
16-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Having Fyvie, McGeouch and McGinn all fit and playing together makes one hell of a difference to us, you can see the way they interact and their movement makes playing against them hard, as you never know who goes forward and who stays back. What we really need next year is better back up options when any of them get either injured or suspended, all we had was Bartley and for all the good work he does, he's not great going forward.

weecounty hibby
16-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Fyvie had a very good game yesterday and as much as I like big Marvin, Fyvie has to play before him. I thought McGinn had his best game in about six weeks yesterday as did Shinnie. No surprise when they have Fyvie and McGeough playing beside them. Those four are our strongest midfield and need to play next week.

Jonnyboy
16-04-2017, 07:56 PM
Fyvie had a very good game yesterday and as much as I like big Marvin, Fyvie has to play before him. I thought McGinn had his best game in about six weeks yesterday as did Shinnie. No surprise when they have Fyvie and McGeough playing beside them. Those four are our strongest midfield and need to play next week.

This :agree:

Fergos
16-04-2017, 07:59 PM
We'd be mad to let Fyvie go. He is just coming into his peak years. If we do let him go he'll end up at Aberdeen or Hearts and we'll regret it.

100%.

Fyvie would walk into every top flight club in Scotland bar celtic maybe.

Would be more than happy if we retain both him and Bartley for next year.

GGTTH

Just Alf
16-04-2017, 08:00 PM
He's no so great at the Ambrose flippy stuff I have to say!

GGTTH!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Fyvie's biggest hindrance is his own inconsistencies not fans' opinions. Play like yesterday and it would only injuries or suspension that would keep him out.Since he joined it has been only injuries and suspensions that kept him out. He played every single game he was fit for until a few weeks ago. Guy is a quality player, there is no question about that.

edwards
16-04-2017, 08:20 PM
We have a good midfield and have to admit at times I was surprised Fyvie wasn't playing but bartley has also played his part this season and it is encouraging to see we have a lot of choice.

anon1875
16-04-2017, 08:35 PM
He's the best player at the club. Just think McGinn and Bartley are more physical in terms of strength. Saying that Fyvie would break his grans legs.

Borderhibbie76
16-04-2017, 08:41 PM
This...Fyvie s passing was pretty woeful at times today. Decent player but not the ginger Messi some make out he is on here. I do however agree he is part of our strongest midfield with Mcginn and Dylan

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
16-04-2017, 08:45 PM
He's the best player at the club. Just think McGinn and Bartley are more physical in terms of strength. Saying that Fyvie would break his grans legs.
Nonsense...he is more than decent midfielder but miles away from being the best at the club...am sorry

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mick O'Rourke
16-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Some of my pals are not great Fyvie fans.
I like him.
He is one of a number of players we need to keep for next season.
He was a very good player when with Aberdeen.

His spell in England did not go well for him.
I think he will be a very important player for us next term.
He is only 24 yrs old.
I think he still has much to offer,and he certainly appears to love being with us.

His involvement/desire at Hampden in the lead up to the winner is a part of the video i never tire of watching.
Well ...never tire of watching most of it !

Baader
16-04-2017, 10:06 PM
A good player who is underrated. We won't get a better one to do the job he does.

pacorosssco
16-04-2017, 11:11 PM
Yes seems when fit to link defence to midfield v well. Be happy to keep. He may get let go though. I expect big changes to team in summer. All depends SJM staying or going and how Lennon wants formation next season. Bartley Dylan Fyvie at least one will be let go

1van Sprou7e
16-04-2017, 11:18 PM
Yes seems when fit to link defence to midfield v well. Be happy to keep. He may get let go though. I expect big changes to team in summer. All depends SJM staying or going and how Lennon wants formation next season. Bartley Dylan Fyvie at least one will be let go

Hope not, unfortunately McGinn might move on but we should ideally be trying to keep all 4

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2017, 11:27 PM
Yes seems when fit to link defence to midfield v well. Be happy to keep. He may get let go though. I expect big changes to team in summer. All depends SJM staying or going and how Lennon wants formation next season. Bartley Dylan Fyvie at least one will be let goSee absolutely no reason to let any of them go regardless of what happens with McGinn.

oldbutdim
16-04-2017, 11:28 PM
SuperJohn said he would be happy to stay with Hibs as long as promotion is secured.

pacorosssco
17-04-2017, 03:55 AM
See absolutely no reason to let any of them go regardless of what happens with McGinn. yes agree all make better squad but sounds few deals agreed and Lennon will bring others in. Some will move

pacorosssco
17-04-2017, 03:58 AM
SuperJohn said he would be happy to stay with Hibs as long as promotion is secured. hope he does but if right offer comes in he goes. Hibs will offer a new deal in summer to protect fee if he declines will be sold

J-C
17-04-2017, 07:42 AM
hope he does but if right offer comes in he goes. Hibs will offer a new deal in summer to protect fee if he declines will be sold

I spoke to him recently and he didn't seem to be thinking about leaving, I think he wants a crack at the Premier league before he think about a move, spoke about playing down south and not with Celtic, I think he fancies a shot at the EPL.

we are hibs
17-04-2017, 07:44 AM

Dont say that about the golden boy who can do no wrong :rolleyes:

Allant1981
17-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Dont say that about the golden boy who can do no wrong :rolleyes:

dont think anyone has actually ever said that have they?

Heisenberg
17-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Fyvie, McGinn and McGeough together is our best midfield. No question for me. Bartley is good at what he does but is extremely limited in other aspects of the game.

pacorosssco
17-04-2017, 09:27 AM
I spoke to him recently and he didn't seem to be thinking about leaving, I think he wants a crack at the Premier league before he think about a move, spoke about playing down south and not with Celtic, I think he fancies a shot at the EPL. seems a screwed on young man but what if sunderland say come in for him. It would be right for him to move. Love him to stay but hell have suitors

Big L
17-04-2017, 10:32 AM
On Sat their was some nice football, not seen much of it this season, When McGeough McGinn & Fyvie play we play much better football and it mainly starts with Fyvie picking the ball up from the back 4 and starting the moves. For me he has to stay, but I have a feeling other clubs might also recognise his talent, namely the sheep and the yams, or maybe back down south.

IAmLee
17-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Fraser Fyvie seems to be one of the most opinion splitting players we have. Imo he's one of the best players at the club and when he plays well we play well. He was excellent up until his injury but wasn't at his best when he returned and was rightly dropped. Bartley is also a very good player but very limited and doesn't seem to be able to gel with any of our midfielders in a central 2, he's shown it with Fyvie, McGinn and McGeouch this season. He drags his partner further back when he plays and it isolates the forwards and leaves the midfield very disjointed, we were able to see the difference this weekend when Fyvie played because he comes short and gets the ball then drives forward allowing Dylan McGinn and Shinnie to be more creative and venture further forward than they do when playing with Marv.

Fyvie does misplace passes but I'd be willing to bet that's because he has possession of the ball more than any other player on the pitch during a game! Lennon hit it on the head in his post match interview I thought, when we want to play football on a good pitch we should play Fyvie and when we need to be a bit more direct then we play Marv.

Big L
17-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Fraser Fyvie seems to be one of the most opinion splitting players we have. Imo he's one of the best players at the club and when he plays well we play well. He was excellent up until his injury but wasn't at his best when he returned and was rightly dropped. Bartley is also a very good player but very limited and doesn't seem to be able to gel with any of our midfielders in a central 2, he's shown it with Fyvie, McGinn and McGeouch this season. He drags his partner further back when he plays and it isolates the forwards and leaves the midfield very disjointed, we were able to see the difference this weekend when Fyvie played because he comes short and gets the ball then drives forward allowing Dylan McGinn and Shinnie to be more creative and venture further forward than they do when playing with Marv.

Fyvie does misplace passes but I'd be willing to bet that's because he has possession of the ball more than any other player on the pitch during a game! Lennon hit it on the head in his post match interview I thought, when we want to play football on a good pitch we should play Fyvie and when we need to be a bit more direct then we play Marv.

I agree. Hopefully we won't be playing direct football next season, I want to see us play the way we can play and only bring in players that will help us do that.

ben johnson
17-04-2017, 11:12 AM

One of the main reasons the Scottish Cup is at ER is down to Fyvie. His delaying of the pass to Stokes in the build up to the corner was the main reason Stokes got a run on the defender in front of him. FF needs time in the team and a run of games to get his touch sorted. I never criticise fellow Hibs fans if it can be helped but your post is so far off the mark it deserves criticism.

IAmLee
17-04-2017, 11:15 AM
I agree. Hopefully we won't be playing direct football next season, I want to see us play the way we can play and only bring in players that will help us do that.

Yeah definitely, Lennon has said previously that he thinks the pitches in the premiership will suit us a lot more as we will be able to play free flowing football on them. Also looking at the top flight most of the teams up there don't seem to have an out and out DM who is there solely to defend, their "sitting" midfielders tend to be more box to box, coming deep to get the ball and starting attacks as well as breaking them up which is something Fyvie does well imo!