PDA

View Full Version : Historic Scotland

sleeping giant
14-04-2017, 10:15 AM
We have just signed up as members and get free access to all their sites for the Wife and I and 6 kids for £7.24 a month.
We also get 18 months for the price of 12.

After visiting Edinburgh Castle and Stirling Castle , it has paid for itself already.

Off to Melrose Abbey today.

Fantastic value for money.

Peevemor
14-04-2017, 10:22 AM
That's a great deal which gives you plenty of options when looking for things to do of a weekend (especially with the close season coming up).

sleeping giant
14-04-2017, 10:24 AM
That's a great deal which gives you plenty of options when looking for things to do of a weekend (especially with the close season coming up).

I was amazed at how cheap it is.

It would have cost us about £45 to get into Edinburgh castle alone without joining.

Jack
14-04-2017, 10:32 AM
We have just signed up as members and get free access to all their sites for the Wife and I and 6 kids for £7.24 a month.

After visiting Edinburgh Castle and Stirling Castle , it has paid for itself already.

Do you have 6 kids? Congratulations!

Or does your membership allow for upto 6 kids to join adults on a visit?

I'm thinking of grandparents with grandchildren from more than one set of parents or even the children bringing their wee friends along.

sleeping giant
14-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Do you have 6 kids? Congratulations!

Or does your membership allow for upto 6 kids to join adults on a visit?

I'm thinking of grandparents with grandchildren from more than one set of parents or even the children bringing their wee friends along.

:greengrin

Upto 6 kids. I have 3.
Yes , you can take any kids with you as long as their parents agree :-)

lord bunberry
14-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Do you pay it monthly or is it a one off payment?

sleeping giant
14-04-2017, 03:22 PM
Do you pay it monthly or is it a one off payment?

£7 odds per month .

There are other options but that one gives you 2 adults and up to 6 kids.

weecounty hibby
14-04-2017, 03:32 PM
I am a member of National Trust for Scotland and that is a good deal as well. Joined up last Easter at Culloden and that paid us in and then one more visit to Bannockburn and we were already in credit. Something that I thing both NTS and HS should consider is a reciprocal arrangement whereby they each give discounts to members of the other

Mibbes Aye
14-04-2017, 04:14 PM

I've had it a few years and like you say, it is good value - visit the likes of the two castles and it's paid for itself. Plus they have sites all over the country so it doesn't matter where you are, there's something to visit. The Borders abbeys are good value too.

Extra bonus is the free access to English Heritage sites after your first year.

jodjam
15-04-2017, 06:03 AM

Just seen thread so I'm too late but I hope you went to Dryburgh Abbey. Lovely setting and less tour buses.

Pretty Boy
15-04-2017, 08:35 AM
This deal sounds great.

I'll be getting signed up before the summer. Can't believe I didn't know about this before so thanks for sharing.

sleeping giant
15-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Just seen thread so I'm too late but I hope you went to Dryburgh Abbey. Lovely setting and less tour buses.

We ended up at Linlithgow Palace instead so will leave Melrose and Dryburgh until next week.
Going to roll eggs at Cairnpapel hill burial site on Sunday before heading to Blackness.

I'm making sure I get my money's worth :-)

sleeping giant
15-04-2017, 09:53 AM
This deal sounds great.

I'll be getting signed up before the summer. Can't believe I didn't know about this before so thanks for sharing.

I had no idea either . My wife's pal mentioned it but I didn't believe her :greengrin:

Well worth it though.

Jay
15-04-2017, 10:27 AM
I had a membership when i was a childminder. Brilliant during the summer hols. Stirling castle was a favourite.

Danderhall Hibs
15-04-2017, 11:20 AM
I get 2 free national trust passes per year through my bank account. We went to Bannockburn yesterday for free (normal price is £30.50).

Allant1981
15-04-2017, 11:32 AM
we also have a membership and use it loads during the holidays, the wee boy loves going to castles, well worth the money

lord bunberry
15-04-2017, 12:28 PM
That's me signed up as well. The Mrs is taking the wee one up to craigmillar castle today and I'm going to head up to the castle on Monday.

jodjam
15-04-2017, 10:30 PM
I get 2 free national trust passes per year through my bank account. We went to Bannockburn yesterday for free (normal price is £30.50).

I'm guiding round two NTS places at Bannockburn and Culross on a Bruce ancestry tour tomorrow. Always enjoy Culross