PDA

View Full Version : Rangers fans...

AugustaHibs
11-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Just seen a video of them singing 'we hate Catholics, everybody hates Roman Catholics' to the tune of 'I think we're alone now'.

Now isn't there manager a catholic?? Nothing surprises me with this lot.

(I'm not saying it matters what religion he is, just pointing it out)

18Hibee75
11-04-2017, 09:42 PM
The two ugly sisters are just as bad as each other, I hate rangers a lot more however. The deluded, bigoted ignorance from them is unreal, still living in the 80s

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

1van Sprou7e
11-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Well I hate Celtic fans and our manager is one :offski::wink:

Topographic Hibby
11-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Always puzzles me why the RC church never calls out the current Sevco mob for what they are. Those in charge at Ibroke aren't as powerful as they once were. Now is the time to embarrass them and their supporters over their behaviour.

And force the hands of SFA and our motionless, inactive MSPs/MPs who appear too busy with Brexit and Indref that basic stuff about bigotry, hate, hospitals, schools, social care etc etc are being overlooked.

Is anybody doing anything about this?

Rant over.....

monktonharp
11-04-2017, 09:51 PM
My Auld Ma was a catholic. loved her to bits.

yonder1875
11-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Weirdos

monktonharp
11-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Always puzzles me why the RC church never calls out the current Sevco mob for what they are. Those in charge at Ibroke aren't as powerful as they once were. Now is the time to embarrass them and their supporters over their behaviour.

And force the hands of SFA and our motionless, inactive MSPs/MPs who appear too busy with Brexit and Indref that basic stuff about bigotry, hate, hospitals, schools, social care etc etc are being overlooked.

Is anybody doing anything about this?

Rant over.....stop ranting, tory/labour lover you 'll probably get a free bus pass, same as me some day

Topographic Hibby
11-04-2017, 09:54 PM
stop ranting, tory/labour lover you 'll probably get a free bus pass, same as me some day
Buses, now don't start me on buses....!! :greengrin

Elephant Stone
11-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Nick Griffin FC.

CathroMustStay
11-04-2017, 10:10 PM
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/850835019258101760

****bags.

Detest Sevconians, even more so than the yams.

Sir David Gray
11-04-2017, 10:16 PM
This is what happens when your mum mates with your older brother.

The Harp Awakes
11-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Just seen a video of them singing 'we hate Catholics, everybody hates Roman Catholics' to the tune of 'I think we're alone now'.

Anti-Catholic bigotry in Scotland is tolerated. Anti-Semitism, racism etc, is not tolerated (and rightfully so). Double standards.

There can be no other explanation for Rangers fans and their Club not being implicated, accused and found guilty for decades of bigotry.

Deansy
11-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Rangers fans are .... ****, their club was formed so that the word '****' had a great example - anything else ??

pacorosssco
11-04-2017, 10:56 PM

Id take a bet their manager is one. No place in football or life

Mikey09
11-04-2017, 11:25 PM
If the SFA had one Gonad between them they'd call them out for this. All they would need to do is warn the Hun hoards that if one bigoted word is uttered again then points will be deducted or they play behind closed doors. These **** wits wouldn't be able to help themselves and at the very next game would be belting out there bigoted crap to show nobody tells them what they can/can't do.

Only one flaw in that plan...

The SFA are total ***** bags!

HFCdeb
11-04-2017, 11:39 PM
Weirdos

Correct.

FilipinoHibs
12-04-2017, 12:19 AM
Rangers bigotry developed after formation of Celtic who made a big play of their Irishness and Catholicism. They feed off each other and the polarisation helps them be much bigger clubs than their home city warrants. Still the same today.

SouthMoroccoStu
12-04-2017, 04:19 AM
Weirdos

I know a the Rangers fan that refers to their new boss as "Pedro The Paedo"

The guys barely in the job but what chance does he have with the collect sub human thinking like that

AgentDaleCooper
12-04-2017, 05:02 AM
The two ugly sisters are just as bad as each other, I hate rangers a lot more however. The deluded, bigoted ignorance from them is unreal, still living in the 80s

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

very much how i feel. i personally find the rangers far more distasteful, probably because we get more of their bile than we do from celtic, but apparently celtic are basically the same with hearts fans, so i do suspect they are, in everything but colour, identical cheeks on the same ********.

Forza Fred
12-04-2017, 05:29 AM
Having viewed the twitter feed can I ask what I think is an obvious (to me at least) question.....

How do we know the people singing ARE Rangers fans?

Not obvious to me from the video.....

Fuzzywuzzy
12-04-2017, 05:46 AM
I've always wondered what % of these ****s are actually bonafide protestants and actually attend church. Majority are probably plastic proddies who like the song book and that they can hate a religion for no other reason football

SouthMoroccoStu
12-04-2017, 06:03 AM
Having viewed the twitter feed can I ask what I think is an obvious (to me at least) question.....

No, they are simply west coast and hampden supporters

Like the sfa - they are all st mirren, Patrick and Clyde fans

Elephant Stone
12-04-2017, 06:20 AM
Rangers bigotry developed after formation of Celtic who made a big play of their Irishness and Catholicism. They feed off each other and the polarisation helps them be much bigger clubs than their home city warrants. Still the same today.

What's that video got to do with Celtic? They're not saying they hate Celtic.

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2017, 06:41 AM

Its from the sevco supporters club in blackpool apparently, i did a bit of work there a couple of years ago, and i kid you not.

On the way up the stairs, there are a couple of signs, one says the management reserve the right to ask what school you attended. And the other was no green colours allowed.

Its as bigoted a place as anywhere in Scotland.:rolleyes:

Johnny Clash
12-04-2017, 07:16 AM

In actual fact, when Hibs formed Celtic in 1888 the Glasgow Hibernians got a bit of a slagging off because they tried to initially dilute their Irishness. Unlike Hibernian who had been created through the St. Patrick's Catholic Young Men's Society down in St Mary's street and proudly flew the Irish tricolour over Easter Road, played in the famous green and white with the Harp as our badge and Erin Go Bragh (Ireland Forever) as our motto.

You are right that Rangers were not originally a bigoted anti Catholic team (Hearts had that putrid distinction) but an influx of Irish folk from the North then settled in Scotland around the Govan shipyards and adopted Rangers for their bile, hateful purposes.

Most of the world has moved on over the last 140 years but it sure looks like the ridiculous 'anti catholic' hatred has now been adopted by the Sevco lot. It makes the morons a laughing stock outside the orange tinted, Union Jack waving world of the far right bigots and haters. I don't think any of the knuckle draggers go to church or owt like that - they just use religion as their reason to hate.

12-04-2017, 07:34 AM

It's a Blackpool RSC party apparently. This video isn't quite as bad as the Saltcoats one though.

seanoheimhin
12-04-2017, 08:21 AM
In actual fact, when Hibs formed Celtic in 1888 the Glasgow Hibernians got a bit of a slagging off because they tried to initially dilute their Irishness. Unlike Hibernian who had been created through the St. Patrick's Catholic Young Men's Society down in St Mary's street and proudly flew the Irish tricolour over Easter Road, played in the famous green and white with the Harp as our badge and Erin Go Bragh (Ireland Forever) as our motto.

You are right that Rangers were not originally a bigoted anti Catholic team (Hearts had that putrid distinction) but an influx of Irish folk from the North then settled in Scotland around the Govan shipyards and adopted Rangers for their bile, hateful purposes.

Most of the world has moved on over the last 140 years but it sure looks like the ridiculous 'anti catholic' hatred has now been adopted by the Sevco lot. It makes the morons a laughing stock outside the orange tinted, Union Jack waving world of the far right bigots and haters. I don't think any of the knuckle draggers go to church or owt like that - they just use religion as their reason to hate.

Thank you for setting that commenter's crude interpretation of history straight :thumbsup:

BegbieHSC
12-04-2017, 08:38 AM
"Rangers" are truly a vile club with some repugnant fans. They are on a whole different level.

This video is disgusting.

They've actually hired a very progressive manager for their standards, Roman Catholic, openly gay - genuinely shattering of glass ceiling stuff for them, and will be very good for the Scottish game overall. He's charismatic, and will present a very positive image of the club and the game to the cameras. Will their fans, and culture ever change however? I seriously doubt it.

Beating Hertz competitively is one thing - it's joyous beating your city rivals. Beating Rangers in that cup final however, after a year of being the full focus of their sectarian bile? Absolutely priceless.

12-04-2017, 08:48 AM
"Rangers" are truly a vile club with some repugnant fans. They are on a whole different level.

This video is disgusting.

They've actually hired a very progressive manager for their standards, Roman Catholic, openly gay - genuinely shattering of glass ceiling stuff for them, and will be very good for the Scottish game overall. He's charismatic, and will present a very positive image of the club and the game to the cameras. Will their fans, and culture ever change however? I seriously doubt it.

Beating Hertz competitively is one thing - it's joyous beating your city rivals. Beating Rangers in that cup final however, after a year of being the full focus of their sectarian bile? Absolutely priceless.

Is he openly gay?! Just seems like a rumour to me.

Earlydelivery
12-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Prehistoric monsters

BegbieHSC
12-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Is he openly gay?! Just seems like a rumour to me.

Hmm,can't actually find a source which says it, so fair enough - thanks for letting me know.

Bostonhibby
12-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Its from the sevco supporters club in blackpool apparently, i did a bit of work there a couple of years ago, and i kid you not.

On the way up the stairs, there are a couple of signs, one says the management reserve the right to ask what school you attended. And the other was no green colours allowed.

Its as bigoted a place as anywhere in Scotland.:rolleyes:

There's a pub in Scarborough I took a look in once. I will let anyone interested do their own research:wink:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/24555/

FilipinoHibs
12-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Thank you for setting that commenter's crude interpretation of history straight :thumbsup:

Celtic did though go on to play up to their Irish and Catholic roots which helped polarise Orangemen around the Gers. Which I summarised in my post as th commentator (correct spelling). And suits them well today stil as means they have a fan base and revenues way beyond the size of the city they are ostensibly from.

superfurryhibby
12-04-2017, 10:07 AM
I am always puzzled when people give the old two cheeks of the same erse line in response to a thread about the sectarian element in the Rangers support. Ironically, sometimes they go on to say, but they hate Rangers more.

I continously highlight my view that we need to treat each club and their"issues" on their own merit. They are not a single entity, to do so is casual and reinforces the underlying collusion that allows them both to lord it over our football authorities.

The west of Scotland myth of Hibs and Hearts being mini versions of the Weegie bigots is part of the same equation ( this view is given credence by Nil by Mouth, who never had the decency to respond to my fairly well considered communication to them which highlighted the errors of this lazy and inaccurate stereotyping)

The old divide and conquer adage is the best approach. When the main anti sectarian organisation in the country pushes old and outdated cliches, that shows the extent of the education needed.

The bottom line is that many Rangers fans still cling on the white protestant supremacy bollox. Their team had a long history of sectarianism and although things have moved on since the Souness era, there are still aspects of their old signing policy at work at Ibrox (do they sign Scottish Catholics?).

Some Celtic fans have horrendous political views and the obsession with Ireland etc is obviously misguided, distasteful and anachronistic. I dislike them as a clubnot because of their Paddyism, but because of their influence and negative impact on our game since we effectively handed control to them and Rangers with voting rights in the SPL etc, all those years ago.

Rangers are in a different category of contempt for me. The overt Orangism on display in our small towns across Greater Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Ayrshire and Fife during the marching season (FFS) and the way the club still profit from courting the support of these bigots clinches this for me.

Bottom line for me is that Rangers always have been and probably always will be a football club which is tainted by the reek of sectarianism and the odour of white trash, Union flag waving, supremacist bigotry.

JeMeSouviens
12-04-2017, 10:13 AM
I am always puzzled when people give the old two cheeks of the same erse line in response to a thread about the sectarian element in the Rangers support. Ironically, sometimes they go on to say, but they hate Rangers more.

I continously highlight my view that we need to treat each club and their"issues" on their own merit. They are not a single entity, to do so is casual and reinforces the underlying collusion that allows them both to lord it over our football authorities.

The west of Scotland myth of Hibs and Hearts being mini versions of the Weegie bigots is part of the same equation ( this view is given credence by Nil by Mouth, who never had the decency to respond to my fairly well considered communication to them which highlighted the errors of this lazy and inaccurate stereotyping)

The old divide and conquer adage is the best approach. When the main anti sectarian organisation in the country pushes old and outdated cliches, that shows the extent of the education needed.

The bottom line is that many Rangers fans still cling on the white protestant supremacy bollox. Their team had a long history of sectarianism and although things have moved on since the Souness era, there are still aspects of their old signing policy at work at Ibrox (do they sign Scottish Catholics?).

Some Celtic fans have horrendous political views and the obsession with Ireland etc is obviously misguided, distasteful and anachronistic. I dislike them as a clubnot because of their Paddyism, but because of their influence and negative impact on our game since we effectively handed control to them and Rangers with voting rights in the SPL etc, all those years ago.

Rangers are in a different category of contempt for me. The overt Orangism on display in our small towns across Greater Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Ayrshire and Fife during the marching season (FFS) and the way the club still profit from courting the support of these bigots clinches this for me.

Bottom line for me is that Rangers always have been and probably always will be a football club which is tainted by the reek of sectarianism and the odour of white trash, Union flag waving, supremacist bigotry.

Nicely summed up. Celtc might be horrible but the Huns (Old and New) are a whole order of magnitude worse. :agree:

Mr White
12-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Celtic did though go on to play up to their Irish and Catholic roots which helped polarise Orangemen around the Gers. Which I summarised in my post as th commentator (correct spelling). And suits them well today stil as means they have a fan base and revenues way beyond the size of the city they are ostensibly from.

:cb

Jones28
12-04-2017, 10:22 AM
I couldn't hear what they were saying in the video. Doesn't stop from believing what you're all saying and agreeing that they are indeed vile, cretinous *******s stuck 100 years in the past. 🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻

Bishop Hibee
12-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Substitute 'Jews', 'gays' or 'Muslims' for Roman Catholics and you'd have huge media coverage. Is anti-Catholicism an acceptable hate? Given the lack of challenge to this sort of chanting over decades, it would seem like it is.

Geo_1875
12-04-2017, 10:57 AM
I was in Uphall at the weekend attending an anniversary party. A family crowd of mainly hertz fans. The DJ (also an ST holder at Tynie) had to remind the party that they shouldn't sing along to Tiffany's I Think We're Alone Now on the 3 occasions that it was played. Some of them couldn't help themselves.

Super_JMcGinn
12-04-2017, 11:08 AM

What's with the white trash, white supremacy? :confused:

superfurryhibby
12-04-2017, 12:29 PM
What's with the white trash, white supremacy? :confused:

The white trash reference is a stereotype which the Hun support often fulfil. They are probably white, low income, poor educated, passionate about Britain First, hold a deep sense of grudge and entitlement. A bit cliched, but a bit like portraying a stereotype prejudiced Boer or racist from the deep south of the USA?

I never actually said white supremacist.

If you have ever met or spoken with a Hun, you'll catch my drift.

Betty Boop
12-04-2017, 12:36 PM
The white trash reference is a stereotype which the Hun support often fulfil. They are probably white, low income, poor educated, passionate about Britain First, hold a deep sense of grudge and entitlement. A bit cliched, but a bit like portraying a stereotype prejudiced Boer or racist from the deep south of the USA?

What a load of absolute nonsense.

FilipinoHibs
12-04-2017, 12:43 PM

Actually my two best mates are huns - I am RC. They are liberal lefties but still hate Celtic for all their hard done by and rub it in your face superiority. I have found Gers fans to be much more magnanimous in defeat than the Tic who always blame something else for deafeat not their team or ours.

Geo_1875
12-04-2017, 12:44 PM

I agree. Some of the most bigoted Huns I know are well-educated professionals.

superfurryhibby
12-04-2017, 12:45 PM

Ok, how would you summarise a typical Hun?

Bostonhibby
12-04-2017, 01:03 PM
I think you've given a pretty good description of the typical hun.

I've also dealt with and know a few who are atypical, makes their blind following of some of the dogma associated with the now defunct Glasgow rangers and their reincarnation even harder to comprehend.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

IAmLee
12-04-2017, 01:14 PM

The whole of my mums side of the family are huns as are my wee sister and her fiance (who went to a RC school) and they both recently had my niece baptised catholic. It was their local team growing up and none of them like the bigoted side of things, in fact they were amongst the first to text me congratulations when we won the cup.

My best friend is also a hun, a hun who last season bought tickets to come to ER with me and cheer us on every time we were at home and they were away. She'd obviously pick them over us every day of the week but she genuinely wanted us to do well! She tried to stay and watch us lift the cup in May but had to leave as the animals around her were throwing seats at the Hibs fans on the pitch (she reported it to the club but funnily enough they never got back to her......)

There is a portion of them, and with them it seems to be a bigger portion than most clubs, who are utter **** and need to get a grip but don't tar them all with the same brush.

oldbutdim
12-04-2017, 01:16 PM
I was in Uphall at the weekend attending an anniversary party. A family crowd of mainly hertz fans. The DJ (also an ST holder at Tynie) had to remind the party that they shouldn't sing along to Tiffany's I Think We're Alone Now on the 3 occasions that it was played. Some of them couldn't help themselves.

:confused:

Pretty Boy
12-04-2017, 01:27 PM

Spot on.

When all is said and done anti Catholic bigotry is quietly accepted by many in Scotland, it's not always explicit but it's often there. Rangers are just another symptom of that.

JeMeSouviens
12-04-2017, 01:59 PM

Visit Glasgow, first Saturday in July and come back and tell us if you still think it's nonsense. Crimplene bedecked bands, Rangers taps and tennent's super are the order of the day. For the full experience, try crossing the road in the middle of them. :wink:

superfurryhibby
12-04-2017, 02:03 PM
The whole of my mums side of the family are huns as are my wee sister and her fiance (who went to a RC school) and they both recently had my niece baptised catholic. It was their local team growing up and none of them like the bigoted side of things, in fact they were amongst the first to text me congratulations when we won the cup.

My best friend is also a hun, a hun who last season bought tickets to come to ER with me and cheer us on every time we were at home and they were away. She'd obviously pick them over us every day of the week but she genuinely wanted us to do well! She tried to stay and watch us lift the cup in May but had to leave as the animals around her were throwing seats at the Hibs fans on the pitch (she reported it to the club but funnily enough they never got back to her......)

There is a portion of them, and with them it seems to be a bigger portion than most clubs, who are utter **** and need to get a grip but don't tar them all with the same brush.

Aye, that's fair enough, although I think a "bigger portion than most clubs" is a bit of an understatement?

I did say stereotypical etc..... there will always be exceptions, but I was attempting a summary and when we do that we tend to focus on the obvious, the overt.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Would guess that they hate Catholicism because it is a difficult word to spell.

GreenLake
12-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Scrape them off our shoes and move on.

Vini1875
12-04-2017, 04:47 PM
I think it is fair enough to say that among the rangers support there are rangers fans and huns. The rangers fans are just football fans who happen to have rangers as their team for all the reasons any fan supports their club and then there are huns - Catholic and Irish hating huns, union jack waving, right wing, xenophobic bigots who will go along with the party line whatever they are told it is. In a crowd they are the majority, but I know a few rangers fans and they are mostly embarressed by their hun contingent.

I also think there is a a moron gene and those that have are attracted to them. I am sure it is comforting for morons to be surrounded by fellow morons acting moronically.

Canon Hannan
12-04-2017, 05:00 PM
I forgive them 🙏😎👍

The Pointer
12-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Visit Glasgow, first Saturday in July and come back and tell us if you still think it's nonsense. Crimplene bedecked bands, Rangers taps and tennent's super are the order of the day. For the full experience, try crossing the road in the middle of them. :wink:

I was in Glasgow a couple of years ago during the 'marching season'. I had to go to Dennistoun and thought I'd missed the bu**ers, but turned the corner only to find them coming along the street towards me, creating a right old traffic jam. As they came along the street and to allay my anger, I turned the volume up on the Rage Against the Machine track I was playing and wound the window down. I was probably dicing with death, but the reaction of the tw*t twirling his thingummyjig at the front of the band on not being able to hear the big bass drum was priceless. The 'flautists' were similarly deafened.

WhileTheChief..
12-04-2017, 05:40 PM
Substitute 'Jews', 'gays' or 'Muslims' for Roman Catholics and you'd have huge media coverage. Is anti-Catholicism an acceptable hate? Given the lack of challenge to this sort of chanting over decades, it would seem like it is.

Substitute "Roman Catholics" with "Rangers fans" and some of the views expressed on this forum at times are just as bad.

It's fine to hate Rangers fans and cast them all as Neanderthal Huns but not ok to hate Catholics??

There are plenty of hate filled posts on this message board on an almost daily basis. It just happens to be directed at other clubs' fans, media or officials etc. as against people of a certain religion. Is that somehow better?

Carheenlea
12-04-2017, 05:55 PM

I doubt the Irish tricolour has ever been flown at Easter Road, certainly not in 1888.
The flag was adopted by the rebel army during the Easter Rising in 1916, and then came to prominence during the war of independence in the 1920's.

mcohibs
12-04-2017, 05:57 PM
It just happens to be directed at other clubs' fans, media or officials etc. as against people of a certain religion. Is that somehow better?

Of course it's better. Are you saying that singing 'We hate jam tarts and we hate dundee' is just as bad as if we were to sing 'We hate Jews and we hate muslims'? There's no comparison to be made at all.

WhileTheChief..
12-04-2017, 06:02 PM
Of course it's better. Are you saying that singing 'We hate jam tarts and we hate dundee' is just as bad as if we were to sing 'We hate Jews and we hate muslims'? There's no comparison to be made at all.

Nope im not saying that.

I am saying that calling all Rangers fans white trash, bigoted, uneducated etc. is just as ignorant as Rangers fans singing about hating Catholics.

mcohibs
12-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Nope im not saying that.

I am saying that calling all Rangers fans white trash, bigoted, uneducated etc. is just as ignorant as Rangers fans singing about hating Catholics.

Fair enough. I do know a number of 'decent' Rangers fans who's views couldn't be further from those in that video.

That being said, when you see things like that coming from their fans on a regular basis, it does support the view that a large number of their support are indeed bigoted and uneducated. More so than any other club in this country imo

weecounty hibby
12-04-2017, 06:33 PM
The problem though is that the "decent" rangers fans have for decades allowed the rest to get away with bigotry and have done nothing to stop it. When I first started going to watch Hibs there were rebel songs sing and a fair bit of anti orange sentiment shall we say. But it was stopped by both the club and the can base not accepting it. Rangers quietly actively encourage it as it is without doubt one thing that attracts a large proportion of their supporters. "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" a very apt quotation

Just Alf
12-04-2017, 06:44 PM
The problem though is that the "decent" rangers fans have for decades allowed the rest to get away with bigotry and have done nothing to stop it. When I first started going to watch Hibs there were rebel songs sing and a fair bit of anti orange sentiment shall we say. But it was stopped by both the club and the can base not accepting it. Rangers quietly actively encourage it as it is without doubt one thing that attracts a large proportion of their supporters. "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" a very apt quotation
Really good post

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Super_JMcGinn
12-04-2017, 06:57 PM
Fair enough. I do know a number of 'decent' Rangers fans who's views couldn't be further from those in that video.

That being said, when you see things like that coming from their fans on a regular basis, it does support the view that a large number of their support are indeed bigoted and uneducated. More so than any other club in this country imo

You could call Donald Ffindlay a lot of things but uneducated isn't one of them. I also seem to remember seeing a video of Rangers players singing away with Mo Johnston in their ranks.

Sweeping generalisations of a group of people could be perceived as being racist or bigoted.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-04-2017, 07:23 PM
There is a point about tarring them all with the same brush. There is a split between the bigots because they follow The Rangers and those who follow The Rangers because they are bigots, and those who don't care.

Holmesdale Hibs
12-04-2017, 07:38 PM
I've been reading threads like this since signing up for Hibs.net around 15 years ago and it shows the clubs inability and unwillingness to deal with the problem properly. They even had the perfect opportunity to 'rebrand' and didn't take it. Same old filth, hard to see this changing any time soon.

I'm sure we all know a few Rangers fans that are alright and I actually feel sorry for them because listening to that nonsense at every game must ruin the experience. I'd blame the club ahead of the non-bigoted fans for not moving forward, no chance I'd try and reason with some of the morons in their support.

JeMeSouviens
12-04-2017, 07:49 PM
It's not like Rangers fans are a socio-ethnic group. They all have a choice at the end of the day. They've voluntarily bought in to being part of something that is ugly in every way. There are decent Rangers fans but right from the boardroom to the terraces they either actively participate or turn a knowing blind eye to the intolerable.

Edinburgher
12-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Having moved through to Glasgow recently - I have met alot of nice people of both persuasions. As someone said - there are Rangers fans and then there are Huns. There is of course still the misconception with regards to Hibs and Hearts being min-versions of the old firm though which can be exasperating at times!

Wee Effen Bee
12-04-2017, 08:48 PM
I hear what some people are saying about the infirm, and to an extent, I agree with some of it, however - I can't ever view Rangers and Celtic as two cheeks of the same erse - a sad and lazy 'throwaway' if ever I heard one; there are decent 'Huns' and 'Tims' who just love going to see the beautiful game.

There has been an anti-Catholic element casting a long shadow over the Scottish hierarchical and business establishment for many a year. To deny this would be an admittance of ignorance of a large section of the Scottish character/culture. I hate Catholicism with its religious indoctrination of children in an educational setting; the hypocritical 'piety' of recent and historical Popery; it's pathetic, mysogenistic views on womens' bodies and the creepy interference on the personal sexual practices of consenting adults. I also abhor the 'Christian'/Protestant mindset which openly declares 'We are the chosen ones' (WTP) and anyone who is not of their sect are 'fair game!'

Thing is, apart from the infamous 'smoke grenade/tear gas incident which apparently was initiated by a young Celtic 'Casual', I have never been (or seen anyone) chased, the target of missiles, verbally abused, physically abused, spat at/on or been threatened by Celtic supporters. Not that I'm saying it hasn't happened to other Hibbies - this is obviously my anecdotal evidence but I have been following Hibs home and away for more than 40 years.
I have been victim to (and witnessed first hand as well as heard of other Hibs fans suffering) all of the above from elements of the Rangers support.
So, I just cannot view them as equals. For me, RFC's fans have subjected me, some of my family and friends to all the worst things about watching fitba in Scotland.
GGTTH

Mr White
12-04-2017, 08:57 PM
I hear what some people are saying about the infirm, and to an extent, I agree with some of it, however - I can't ever view Rangers and Celtic as two cheeks of the same erse - a sad and lazy 'throwaway' if ever I heard one; there are decent 'Huns' and 'Tims' who just love going to see the beautiful game.

There has been an anti-Catholic element casting a long shadow over the Scottish hierarchical and business establishment for many a year. To deny this would be an admittance of ignorance of a large section of the Scottish character/culture. I hate Catholicism with its religious indoctrination of children in an educational setting; the hypocritical 'piety' of recent and historical Popery; it's pathetic, mysogenistic views on womens' bodies and the creepy interference on the personal sexual practices of consenting adults. I also abhor the 'Christian'/Protestant mindset which openly declares 'We are the chosen ones' (WTP) and anyone who is not of their sect are 'fair game!'

Thing is, apart from the infamous 'smoke grenade/tear gas incident which apparently was initiated by a young Celtic 'Casual', I have never been (or seen anyone) chased, the target of missiles, verbally abused, physically abused, spat at/on or been threatened by Celtic supporters. Not that I'm saying it hasn't happened to other Hibbies - this is obviously my anecdotal evidence but I have been following Hibs home and away for more than 40 years.
I have been victim to (and witnessed first hand as well as heard of other Hibs fans suffering) all of the above from elements of the Rangers support.
So, I just cannot view them as equals. For me, RFC's fans have subjected me, some of my family and friends to all the worst things about watching fitba in Scotland.
GGTTH

This is pretty much where I am too. I dare anyone to set foot on the belfast to Cairnryan ferry prior to a sevco match. It's ****ing awful. The same boat when celtc are playing is nowhere near as bad. There are of course absolute ****bags in both sets of supports but overall the difference in atmosphere is pretty stark. Jovial jakey-ness amongst the green and white ones versus threatening, glaring aggression from the orcs. IMHO of course.

mcohibs
12-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Sweeping generalisations of a group of people could be perceived as being racist or bigoted.

Which is why I would stop short of labelling all of their fans as one and the same.

However, saying that a large number of Rangers fans are bigoted is not a sweeping generalisation. It's undeniable.

Bristolhibby
12-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Read a good article in the New Statesman on Gibraltar (link below).

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2017/04/tea-biscuits-and-exceptionalism-curious-performative-britishness-gibraltar

This part made me think of the Huns.

"This performativity of Britishness can also be seen among Protestant communities in Northern Ireland, another part of the UK where British identity is not stabilised or guaranteed but which is only achieved through daily performance. From Ballymena to the Shankill, Northern Irish Protestant communities engage in an elaborate performance of Britishness, from hanging portraits of the queen above family fireplaces, to decking homes in Unionist Jack bunting and ending community events with rousing renditions of God Save The Queen.

Such heightened performed Britishness however, inherently undermines itself. In seeking to prove their similarities to mainland Britain, they only achieve in making a drag performance of constitutional politics. In engaging in flamboyant acts, they seek to be more British than the British themselves but in so doing they create a culture which few in Britain would recognise."

J

Wee Effen Bee
12-04-2017, 09:42 PM
This is pretty much where I am too. I dare anyone to set foot on the belfast to Cairnryan ferry prior to a sevco match. It's ****ing awful. The same boat when celtc are playing is nowhere near as bad. There are of course absolute ****bags in both sets of supports but overall the difference in atmosphere is pretty stark. Jovial jakey-ness amongst the green and white ones versus threatening, glaring aggression from the orcs. IMHO of course.

Ah the Belfast - Cairnryan ferry. Whilst on holiday a few years back, I met a Belfast postie whose new run took in both 'Proddy' and 'Kafflik' areas. As he was talking about keeping his head down and going about his business (as even in the new positive post Good Friday Agreement things could still be 'rumbly' as he put it - I think it means 'dodgy') an English laddie, who we had both had a good chat with a couple of days before about musical tastes, joined us. He asked the postie (can't remember his name) if he used the ferry to go to Games. The Irish laddie said he enjoyed the craic on it although sometimes the, "... bogs were awash in pee and spew.
The English guy said he thought his dad was on the same ferry link a year or so previously but saw two older guys get battered under a stairwell from a few other 'fans'. Although he thought the drink had the better of them, he couldn't understand why they were fighting as they were all, "...good Rangers supporters (sic)." His dad said the atmosphere aboard was ok initially but soon turned mean and ugly. He and his mate kept themselves on deck for the rest of the journey. Again though, anecdotal!

BegbieHSC
12-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Read a good article in the New Statesman on Gibraltar (link below).

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2017/04/tea-biscuits-and-exceptionalism-curious-performative-britishness-gibraltar

This part made me think of the Huns.

"This performativity of Britishness can also be seen among Protestant communities in Northern Ireland, another part of the UK where British identity is not stabilised or guaranteed but which is only achieved through daily performance. From Ballymena to the Shankill, Northern Irish Protestant communities engage in an elaborate performance of Britishness, from hanging portraits of the queen above family fireplaces, to decking homes in Unionist Jack bunting and ending community events with rousing renditions of God Save The Queen.

Such heightened performed Britishness however, inherently undermines itself. In seeking to prove their similarities to mainland Britain, they only achieve in making a drag performance of constitutional politics. In engaging in flamboyant acts, they seek to be more British than the British themselves but in so doing they create a culture which few in Britain would recognise."

J

Absolutely awesome summary of a large number of Sevconians.

Bishop Hibee
12-04-2017, 10:01 PM
Substitute "Roman Catholics" with "Rangers fans" and some of the views expressed on this forum at times are just as bad.

It's fine to hate Rangers fans and cast them all as Neanderthal Huns but not ok to hate Catholics??

There are plenty of hate filled posts on this message board on an almost daily basis. It just happens to be directed at other clubs' fans, media or officials etc. as against people of a certain religion. Is that somehow better?

C'mon on. Aye there are some posters on here who go OTT but you can't equate football rivalry which can go too far with bigotry which in my Grandpa's time prevented him getting certain jobs.

The thread on FollowFollow where they are arguing about their songbook does show that the tide may be turning but very slowly. The right-minded fans and more importantly the Rangers board need to make clear the bigoted songs will not be tolerated.

13-04-2017, 01:24 AM
Their gaffer is Catholic, Michael O'Halloran is Catholic Rob Keirnan is Catholic, Kenny Miller is Catholic they really are a strange bunch

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Betty Boop
13-04-2017, 07:54 AM

Well my son supports Rangers and I would say he's the opposite of your sweeping generalisation.

IAmLee
13-04-2017, 08:18 AM
I agree with what a lot of people are saying on here, I know a lot of decent Rangers fans and feel the reason the hun contingent seems to be growing and getting worse is because the club itself buys into every bit of it. The way they acted after the cup final and first Celtic game of the season proves it beyond doubt, their support sang sectarian songs all game at both, ran onto the pitch to fight with celebrating Hibs fans in the former and smashed up the toilets in the latter yet Rangers come out and defend them blaming by the other club for targeting the poor wee rangers fans - complete joke.

I had a taxi driver who's a rangers fan the other day and when he found out I'm a Hibee his exact words were "I'd stay away from all the Hibs Rangers games next season pal, the loonies in our support are out for revenge, they've already started planning it" - I didn't ask anything else about it, but for me that sums the huns up completely!!

Smartie
13-04-2017, 08:25 AM
I actually think that in many ways Rangers have taken some small steps in the right direction over the past few decades, whilst they still obviously have a long, long way to go.

The problem is that their current regime seem to want to play to the lowest common denominator of their support. There is an opportunity there for them, any time they want to take it, to become a normal 21st century football club. They can behave normally, run their affairs normally, interact with other clubs and treat them normally.

Or they can continue to be huns, which appears to be the path that Dave King has chosen for them.

They are pariahs in Scottish football and that needn't be the case. But it is entirely of their own making and until they want to change that they will remain so.

Killiehibbie
13-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Well my son supports Rangers and I would say he's the opposite of your sweeping generalisation.How could you allow this to happen? What happened to parental guidance? :greengrin

BullsCloseHibs
13-04-2017, 10:05 AM

They still don't get it. Everyone else does. They don't. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
13-04-2017, 10:13 AM
I actually think that in many ways Rangers have taken some small steps in the right direction over the past few decades, whilst they still obviously have a long, long way to go.

The problem is that their current regime seem to want to play to the lowest common denominator of their support. There is an opportunity there for them, any time they want to take it, to become a normal 21st century football club. They can behave normally, run their affairs normally, interact with other clubs and treat them normally.

Or they can continue to be huns, which appears to be the path that Dave King has chosen for them.

They are pariahs in Scottish football and that needn't be the case. But it is entirely of their own making and until they want to change that they will remain so.

They did a bit in the 90s. It became no big deal for them to play RCs, even Scottish ones of Irish extraction like Neil McCann. The songbook was at least toned down to remove the wading in Fenian blood, FTPing, etc. Although to be fair that was much more to do with UEFA taking no **** from them than anything else, but still welcome. Since the Old club exploded and they've regrouped around the new one, they've taken several large steps backwards for the reason you say, a circle the wagons type defiance.

The worst thing is that despite them being pariahs with the fans of every other club and the clubs in the top league having proved their resilience to coping with the absence of large Hun supports, the people that run, report on and broadcast our game *still* pander to them like we can't do without them. Sickening. :rolleyes:

Cabbage East
13-04-2017, 10:52 AM
Old Firm thread bingo:

Two cheeks of the same erse
Bad as each other
Rantic

Any others?

banchoryhibs
13-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Their gaffer is Catholic, Michael O'Halloran is Catholic Rob Keirnan is Catholic, Kenny Miller is Catholic they really are a strange bunch

O'Halloran has done a "runner", Miller will probably be gone at the end of the season and Keirnan is going too - just leaves the manager.

but IMHO the hate and bile from both of the ugly sisters is far less than it was 30 years ago........ maybe in 30 years time that video clip will be viewed as "unbelievable".

The change will take a very long time.

Dashing Bob S
13-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Most okay Rangers fans I've met have been from Glasgow. They support the club on the basis that it's a family/community thing, like most supporters of teams.

Most Huns have been thick ****ers from one-horse post-industrial towns in Ayrshire and Lanarkshire, and Ulster. They are invariably low-lifers, unbearably crass and stupendously dim. Rangers supporting has become a badge for those bigots.

Then there are the snidey, unsociable glory hunters, who reject their own communities and clubs and pose as thick bigots to gain a spurious 'credibility' amongst the other lunatics. These people really ought to know better.

superfurryhibby
13-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Well my son supports Rangers and I would say he's the opposite of your sweeping generalisation.

Does he join in with the"party" songs? Maybe the tens of thousands who sing the billy boys etc every game at Ibrox are just figments of my fevered imagination?

13-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Ive been stuck with them before. My Mams from the republic we drive to Belfast from Naas for the ferry and drive from Cairnryan back to Edinburgh and me stupidly had a Hibs top on not knowing that there would be a bunch of fat bald junkies singing about killing Catholics brought my little sister near enough to tears she was about age 7/8 and says to me why dont they like Catholics i'm catholic mummys catholic, they are crass **** n the sooner the N.I Rangers fans **** off the better. Rant over.

Jag7
13-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Religion is the source of hatred and wars .. if only people could see that, but weak people have to have something to believe in .. then they get all nasty when you don't !!

Stevie Reid
13-04-2017, 03:25 PM
Marco Negri scored a ridiculous amount of goals for Rangers in a short space of time, but he was aloof, and he barely celebrated them and usually turned away from the fans when he did. He knew what they were singing about.

This was the same time that Lorenzo Amoruso was Rangers captain, IIRC.

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Lets be honest here, we all probably know a hun who seems decent enough away from the football, but put them on a terrace and 99% of them become bigots, which then negates them from being decent folk and just **** of the highest order.

Pretty Boy
13-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Lets be honest here, we all probably know a hun who seems decent enough away from the football, but put them on a terrace and 99% of them become bigots, which then negates them from being decent folk and just **** of the highest order.

Agreed.

If the bigots are really in the minority at Rangers then shame on the 'majority' who have let them away with it for so long. Of course anyone who has ever attended a match or social event involving Rangers or Rangers fans knows that in a big group the bigots become the majority very quickly, whether that's for 90 minutes or continues into their everyday life is irrelevant imo. Cowards.

SouthMoroccoStu
13-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Agreed.

If the bigots are really in the minority at Rangers then shame on the 'majority' who have let them away with it for so long. Of course anyone who has ever attended a match or social event involving Rangers or Rangers fans knows that in a big group the bigots become the majority very quickly, whether that's for 90 minutes or continues into their everyday life is irrelevant imo. Cowards.

We all heard a lot of their special songs at the cup final last year

Very loud for a small minority

One Day
13-04-2017, 06:28 PM
Having moved through to Glasgow recently - I have met alot of nice people of both persuasions. As someone said - there are Rangers fans and then there are Huns. There is of course still the misconception with regards to Hibs and Hearts being min-versions of the old firm though which can be exasperating at times!

That's a very good quote.

pacorosssco
13-04-2017, 07:00 PM

Yes always found the weegie OF fans much better. They live and work together and have to largely find a way get on with each other. Those from outside glasgow tend to be much more bitter divided creatures and dont have to interact with opposite support. SFA have done nothing to help situation