PDA

View Full Version : Dortmund bus hit by explosion

theonlywayisup
11-04-2017, 06:16 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39571776

An explosion has hit a bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund football team to a Champions League match, the club says.

Player Marc Bartra has been injured and has been taken to hospital.

North-Rhine Westphalia police said they were at the scene and there are reports that the fire service are also there.

Paisley Hibby
11-04-2017, 06:23 PM
What is the world coming to? Let's hope this turns out to be not as bad as it sounds.

Onceinawhile
11-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Fingers crossed its nothing serious.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-04-2017, 06:27 PM
Ffs!

Hibee87
11-04-2017, 06:27 PM
I read about 20 min ago it was just a big firework that hit the window :confused:

Liam89
11-04-2017, 06:29 PM
I read about 20 min ago it was just a big firework that hit the window :confused:

Still an explosion. I'd imagine the details haven't been released to public or yet determined.

NthCarolinaHibs
11-04-2017, 06:30 PM
Game is off....Playing tomorrow..

Hibee87
11-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Still an explosion. I'd imagine the details haven't been released to public or yet determined. I never said it wasn't, I meant I didn't think it was anything sinister I.e ISIS which is everyones first thought

Liam89
11-04-2017, 06:35 PM
I never said it wasn't, I meant I didn't think it was anything sinister I.e ISIS which is everyones first thought Gotcha :aok: Seems like no one officially knows at this point.

silverhibee
11-04-2017, 06:35 PM
3 explosions close to the bus.

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2017, 06:36 PM
Not badly hurt and certainly not anything sinister as first thought.

Billy Whizz
11-04-2017, 06:39 PM

So not terror related?

Hibee87
11-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Gotcha :aok: Seems like no one officially knows at this point.

Would seem strange to abandon game and let xxx amount of thousands leave all at once if they had a incling of a terror attack. But on the flip side how would you deal with such an event?

Liam89
11-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Would seem strange to abandon game and let xxx amount of thousands leave all at once if they had a incling of a terror attack. But on the flip side how would you deal with such an event?

Good point, would be easier to keep everyone safe in the stadium if there was a threat. I suppose the Dortmund team may not be in the right frame of mind to play a big game if it was traumatic. However, if it was just a few big firecrackers surely they would get over it? Tough one.

Time For Heroes
11-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Marc Bartra taken to hospital, absolutely crazy. Hope he is alright

Conrad Gray
11-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Latest report has the player suffering superficial cuts to the arm. It also stated there were three explosions in vicinity of the bus - sounds like an attack to me.

silverhibee
11-04-2017, 06:46 PM

Bus windows were blown out after 3 explosions.

SSN

Time For Heroes
11-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Dortmund statement saying it was a bomb

silverhibee
11-04-2017, 06:49 PM
So not terror related?

The bomb went off as the bus passed a junction at Schirrmannweg and Wittbraucker Strasse, which is near the L'Arrivée hotel and spa.

Dortmund twitter

Ozyhibby
11-04-2017, 06:53 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/d40acc8e4dd8d90d65cd65040303ade7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
11-04-2017, 06:55 PM
The bomb went off as the bus passed a junction at Schirrmannweg and Wittbraucker Strasse, which is near the L'Arrivée hotel and spa.

Dortmund twitter

Thanks, just catching this news late on, wasn't sure what had happened
Shocking really

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Bus windows were blown out after 3 explosions.

SSN

Hmmm so many different versions on the net, clearly what I read was innacurate

Jack Hackett
11-04-2017, 06:58 PM
Latest report has the player suffering superficial cuts to the arm. It also stated there were three explosions in vicinity of the bus - sounds like an attack to me.

Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is that, attack or not, it is immediately perceived as such. Regardless of the hyperbole from politicians and shows of unity after the fact from the public, the terrorists have planted a seed of fear that is only going to grow.

silverhibee
11-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Hmmm so many different versions on the net, clearly what I read was innacurate

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/11/borussia-dortmund-vs-monaco-champions-league-live-score-updates/

Ozyhibby
11-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is that, attack or not, it is immediately perceived as such. Regardless of the hyperbole from politicians and shows of unity after the fact from the public, the terrorists have planted a seed of fear that is only going to grow.

There is less terrorism now than anytime in my lifetime. The world has never been safer.

Jack Hackett
11-04-2017, 07:29 PM
There is less terrorism now than anytime in my lifetime. The world has never been safer.

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_linked_to_ISIL

Thecat23
11-04-2017, 07:33 PM

Surely this isn't true?

Not having a go just be shocked if it was. I can't mind things like 9/11 or 7/7 attacks back when young. Or so many things like what's happened in France, Germany etc even Glasgow airport attract. I think the UK was safer years ago imo.

Mr White
11-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Surely this isn't true?

Not having a go just be shocked if it was. I can't mind things like 9/11 or 7/7 attacks back when young. Or so many things like what's happened in France, Germany etc even Glasgow airport attract. I think the UK was safer years ago imo.
Depends where you lived. The IRA and other Irish republican groups liked to blow up parts of England on a fairly regular basis in the 80s and 90s. The 1998 bombing of manchester was a pretty big explosion that would have killed many people if a coded warning hadn't been sent shortly before it went off. And if we're talking UK then ulster was far from safe at that time too of course.

Also Lockerbie?

wookie70
11-04-2017, 07:37 PM

Very true. The most dangerous things in the UK tend to be your family and the politicians in Westminster. In America the police are multiple times more deadly to US citizens that ISIS or any other terrorists ever have been. If there was a big terrorist problem they could bring Cities to a stop easily by taking out water and electricity and kill hundreds with nothing more sophisticated than a slab on a railway line. We are being programmed to be fearful. None of that of course excuses any of the bamsticks that perpetrate acts like bombing buses or the grief of those who lose loved ones. Its all about perspective to me. Terrorism is such a small problem in the UK that it is hardly worth thinking about compared to some of the other atrocities that are happening to thousand of our citizens..

Ozyhibby
11-04-2017, 07:45 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/0d525b25d0b6e4a64d47af5e010a83a8.jpg

Slight uptick last two years but definitely better than when I was a boy.

wookie70
11-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_linked_to_ISIL

Not sure that page mentions the many more killed by the west in Iraq in what many would view as terrorist attacks. I'm contracting myself here but there probably is just as much terrorism in the world as there ever was but the vast majority of it seems to be conducted by elected Governments mostly in the west. If a wiki link is good enough as proof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_War_documents_leak

Ozyhibby
11-04-2017, 07:49 PM
https://www.techjuice.pk/a-data-scientist-explains-odds-of-dying-in-a-terrorist-attack/

Worth a read

Bishop Hibee
11-04-2017, 07:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170411/0d525b25d0b6e4a64d47af5e010a83a8.jpg

Slight uptick last two years but definitely better than when I was a boy.

Only shows Europe and the U.S. so you can't really say "the world is safer". Also Scotland would never have been bombed by the IRA as the cause of a united Ireland had a lot more sympathy here. Nuclear war was the big fear in the late 70's/early 80's rather than terrorism.

Back on topic this is a shocking attack. Thoughts and prayers with all affected.

Jack Hackett
11-04-2017, 07:56 PM
Very true. The most dangerous things in the UK tend to be your family and the politicians in Westminster. In America the police are multiple times more deadly to US citizens that ISIS or any other terrorists ever have been. If there was a big terrorist problem they could bring Cities to a stop easily by taking out water and electricity and kill hundreds with nothing more sophisticated than a slab on a railway line. We are being programmed to be fearful. None of that of course excuses any of the bamsticks that perpetrate acts like bombing buses or the grief of those who lose loved ones. Its all about perspective to me. Terrorism is such a small problem in the UK that it is hardly worth thinking about compared to some of the other atrocities that are happening to thousand of our citizens..

Good post, the bit in bold especially so. The point of my post is that the perception of terrorism has increased far beyond the levels of the past, as attacks were mainly localised. Saturation media coverage in the last 15-20 years has highlighted the global nature of the current threat and has become almost a weekly event and I have a feeling that the types of attack from individuals using whatever is to hand will increase as ISIS is pushed out of Iraq and Syria and their 'fighters' disperse.

Jack Hackett
11-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Not sure that page mentions the many more killed by the west in Iraq in what many would view as terrorist attacks. I'm contracting myself here but there probably is just as much terrorism in the world as there ever was but the vast majority of it seems to be conducted by elected Governments mostly in the west. If a wiki link is good enough as proof.

No argument from me in that respect.

Mr White
11-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Only shows Europe and the U.S. so you can't really say "the world is safer". Also Scotland would never have been bombed by the IRA as the cause of a united Ireland had a lot more sympathy here. Nuclear war was the big fear in the late 70's/early 80's rather than terrorism.

Back on topic this is a shocking attack. Thoughts and prayers with all affected.

It was the UK being discussed rather than Scotland in isolation tbf.

silverhibee
11-04-2017, 08:11 PM
German Police say serious explosive devices used to attack Dortmund team bus.

Sky News.

Reports that devices were hidden in hedges on roadside.

Ozyhibby
11-04-2017, 08:12 PM

I don't disagree on that.

Hibrandenburg
11-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Just watching the developments on German TV and a journalist asked if there's any truth that an extortion letter has been found near the scene. The reaction from the Dortmund press relations guy was very suspect.

silverhibee
11-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Marc Bartra has operation on broken bone in his hand, German police saying a note has been found near the hotel the club bus was leaving from, what police believed was a targeted attack against the football side.

http://news.sky.com/story/borussia-dortmund-three-explosions-near-german-football-team-bus-10833968

Deansy
11-04-2017, 10:21 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/11/borussia-dortmund-vs-monaco-champions-league-live-score-updates/

'The game was postponed to Wednesday evening, with Borussia Dortmund fans offering Monaco supporters accommodation in the city so they can watch the match. Monaco fans had chanted in solidarity with their Dortmund rivals'

That is an excellent way of sticking 2-fingers up at terrorists !

silverhibee
11-04-2017, 11:47 PM
FOOTBALL SECURITY HIKE Champions League chiefs ramp up security after three explosions hit the Borussia Dortmund team bus
Leicester’s players were immediately put under guard by armed cops in Madrid ahead of clash with Atletico, while more officers on streets.

Northern Hibby
12-04-2017, 12:14 AM
Check out #bedforawayfans on twitter truly humbling

Keith_M
12-04-2017, 07:53 AM
I'm a bit confused by the comment from the Police as to having not yet decided if this is a terror attack.

Somebody targeting a bus with three bombs sure sounds like a terror attack to me.

:confused:

JimBHibees
12-04-2017, 08:27 AM
I'm a bit confused by the comment from the Police as to having not yet decided if this is a terror attack.

Somebody targeting a bus with three bombs sure sounds like a terror attack to me.

:confused:

Yes what else could it be irrespective who or what group did it or their motivation to do it.

norwayhibs
12-04-2017, 11:36 AM
I am in dortmund for the game, the police AS expected are out in force today with extra checks into the stadium and checkpoints around the stadium. There is a strange atmosphere in the city centre. From what I gather nobody has taken responsability for the attack as yet.

Phil MaGlass
12-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Heard on news it could be any of three groups which may be responsible, islamists, leftists or holligans, all up in the air the noo

hibbybrian
12-04-2017, 12:46 PM
I am in dortmund for the game, the police AS expected are out in force today with extra checks into the stadium and checkpoints around the stadium. There is a strange atmosphere in the city centre. From what I gather nobody has taken responsability for the attack as yet.

Hope you have a great time M and there are no more safety issues. :thumbsup:

If you get a chance, check out Strobels next to the stadium :top marks

Moulin Yarns
12-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Suspect arrested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39580594

Keith_M
12-04-2017, 01:13 PM

Hope all goes well, you have a safe visit and enjoy the game.

:aok:

Keith_M
12-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Suspect arrested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39580594

Interesting development but, for some reason, I'm not convinced.

There's just something about the whole thing that doesn't fit.

JimBHibees
12-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Interesting development but, for some reason, I'm not convinced.

There's just something about the whole thing that doesn't fit.

in what way?

Callum_62
12-04-2017, 01:27 PM
in what way?

specifically targeting a football team - in a reinforced bus

much easier to let off the explosives in an open, crowded area

Does make me think its someone/a group with a specific grievance against Dortmund

Who knows tho

Keith_M
12-04-2017, 04:31 PM
specifically targeting a football team - in a reinforced bus

much easier to let off the explosives in an open, crowded area

Does make me think its someone/a group with a specific grievance against Dortmund

Who knows tho

I think that's part of it, yeah.

It doesn't seem like their Modus Operandi and the 'Terrorist' aspect is just too convenient.

Albanian Hibs
12-04-2017, 05:07 PM
0-1 Monaco

where'stheslope
12-04-2017, 06:08 PM
'The game was postponed to Wednesday evening, with Borussia Dortmund fans offering Monaco supporters accommodation in the city so they can watch the match. Monaco fans had chanted in solidarity with their Dortmund rivals'

That is an excellent way of sticking 2-fingers up at terrorists !

This must be one of the greatest acts of friendship in football for a long time, I take my hat off to those who took in the Monaco fans, in these troubled times, this is how we all should be thinking rather than allowing terror to tear us apart!!!!

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2017, 07:16 PM
This must be one of the greatest acts of friendship in football for a long time, I take my hat off to those who took in the Monaco fans, in these troubled times, this is how we all should be thinking rather than allowing terror to tear us apart!!!!

It was, i'm just glad they were not playing sevco, to show their appreciation, they'd tan their drinks cabinet, bottle their granny and **** their cat.

Stevie Reid
13-04-2017, 02:03 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39589517

Interview about incident from Dortmund's Nuri Sahin. Articulates his emotions incredibly well, especially for someone speaking in a second language.

Mr Grieves
21-04-2017, 06:26 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39664212

JimBHibees
21-04-2017, 07:08 AM

Simply wow, what is the world coming to.

Nakedmanoncrack
21-04-2017, 07:19 AM

Unbelievable.

Mr Grieves
21-04-2017, 08:29 AM

It's absolutely mental. Some people would do anything to make money.

Hibrandenburg
21-04-2017, 10:46 AM
There was something dodgy about this from the start.

hibsbollah
21-04-2017, 11:54 AM

I'm not sure what's worse, blowing people up cos God tells you to or blowing people up to make money. It's a relief in a way, it's probably less likely to be a regular occurrence if it's not part of the current wave of jihaadism.

pacorosssco
21-04-2017, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure what's worse, blowing people up cos God tells you to or blowing people up to make money. It's a relief in a way, it's probably less likely to be a regular occurrence if it's not part of the current wave of jihaadism.

Blowing people up for money
..our gov is doing this daily:(

Ozyhibby
21-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Blowing people up for money
..our gov is doing this daily:(

Exactly. There is nothing new under the sun.

snooky
21-04-2017, 12:46 PM

TBH, I'm more worried about the average nutter in the street than any jihadi.

Keith_M
21-04-2017, 04:14 PM
There was something dodgy about this from the start.

:agree:

As I mentioned in an earlier comment, the idea of it as a Terrorist attack just didn't seem right, for some reason. It just didn't follow previous patterns and targets.

If the motive was simply to make money, then it really is quite shocking.

pacorosssco
21-04-2017, 04:53 PM
:agree:

As I mentioned in an earlier comment, the idea of it as a Terrorist attack just didn't seem right, for some reason. It just didn't follow previous patterns and targets.

If the motive was simply to make money, then it really is quite shocking.

Yes and still unsure of facts who behind. Just glad no deaths

Glory Lurker
21-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Do we need to be protected against capitalist extremists?

Bishop Hibee
21-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Do we need to be protected against capitalist extremists?

Yes. Nationalise the banks 😉

wookie70
21-04-2017, 10:30 PM
Do we need to be protected against capitalist extremists? Yes, and those that vote for them

AltheHibby
21-04-2017, 10:49 PM
There's a storyline on NCIS just now where a guy commits terrorist acts to play the markets. While entertaining, I thought it was far fetched. Shows what I know.

Future17
08-01-2018, 02:34 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42603840

snooky
08-01-2018, 03:19 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42603840

"The unacceptable face of capitalism" - Ted Heath (circa 1983)

Well it's certainly one of them, Teddy me boy. :cb