PDA

View Full Version : Yams Yam performance school

Ozyhibby
11-04-2017, 12:13 PM
I hear the yams are starting a performance school at Balerno high school. Don't know much more than that. Anyone else heard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden Bear
11-04-2017, 12:18 PM
I hear the yams are starting a performance school at Balerno high school. Don't know much more than that. Anyone else heard?

No idea but they've obviously a superior system than us when it comes to progressing youngsters through the academy set up and into the first team.

Corstorphine Hibby
11-04-2017, 12:20 PM

Is it singing and dancing?

Geo_1875
11-04-2017, 12:22 PM

It'll be all singing and all dancing at someone else's expense.

banarc7062
11-04-2017, 12:23 PM

No, how to dive and convice officials you have been seriously fouled :-)

stantonhibby
11-04-2017, 12:25 PM

Aye......A bit like Fame but without the natural talent or ability. They could call it Shame.

essexhibee
11-04-2017, 12:39 PM
Imagine it will be similar to what Celtic have done - http://www.celticfc.net/news/2039?item=2039

A good model IMO , Kieran Tierney came through this way.

Speedway
11-04-2017, 12:40 PM
What are the schematics like?

Smartie
11-04-2017, 12:53 PM
No idea but they've obviously a superior system than us when it comes to progressing youngsters through the academy set up and into the first team.

I think any club that can produce a talent as great as Jason Cummings deserves great credit.

I'm not sure their academy is as great as we all think it is. Remember that their current crop of decent young players were all brought through during the financial doping years. Let's see how good their scouting is when it needs to be funded by punters putting their hands in their pockets, and let's see how well they develop when Heriot-Watt actually get paid for providing them with facilities.

lapsedhibee
11-04-2017, 12:55 PM
What are the schematics like?

There'll have to be a ballistics class, for the grogging.

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Imagine it will be similar to what Celtic have done - http://www.celticfc.net/news/2039?item=2039

A good model IMO , Kieran Tierney came through this way.

That does appear a good model.
As the 3rd best supported team next season it is something we should be seriously looking at.
The kids play more, study more and don't have to waste time travelling all over the place so their parents will be less stressed as well.

SirDavidsNapper
11-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Any club that produces talents like Kevin McHattie and Dale Carrick need to be shown some respect

Brightside
11-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Be interesting to see how this is actually setup. Hibs have a great opportunity at Portobello if they get their finger out.

GreenOnions
11-04-2017, 01:08 PM
How to borrow a sum of money over a period of years even a child would know could never be paid back (approx £30m) and use it to win a trophy (1998). Then how to swap the obviously un-repayable debt for worthless shares (with a bit of debt forgiveness thrown in) and then borrow a similarly ludicrous amount of money again (another approx £30m) - this time to buy two trophies (2006 and 2012) before finally coming clean and admitting what was clear from the start - that the debt is unpayable. How to then somehow generate sympathy from the football establishment for their plucky efforts to deal with the fallout while Lithuanian taxpayers and hundreds of Scottish businesses, individuals and charities are left wondering why they helped pay for three trophies for HOMFC without ever being asked for their consent. That truly is an education

offshorehibby
11-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Does Broughton still house the SFA run performance school.

Col2
11-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Calum aka dancing queen??

Ozyhibby
11-04-2017, 01:25 PM

Yes. Not sure how it's going though.

11-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Aye......A bit like Fame but without the natural talent or ability. They could call it Shame.

Well they are the Famous right enough.

Brightside
11-04-2017, 01:35 PM

Yes - but based on what I've witnessed its utter shiyite.

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 02:01 PM

Broughton has a good table tennis club run by Scotlands No2 male player but don't know anything about the football set up :greengrin

GreenLake
11-04-2017, 03:08 PM
I think any club that can produce a talent as great as Jason Cummings deserves great credit.

I'm not sure their academy is as great as we all think it is. Remember that their current crop of decent young players were all brought through during the financial doping years. Let's see how good their scouting is when it needs to be funded by punters putting their hands in their pockets, and let's see how well they develop when Heriot-Watt actually get paid for providing them with facilities.

It's already showing effects in the first team if we consider Nicholson's goal celebrations.

pontius pilate
11-04-2017, 03:11 PM
I work at balerno and not heard anything mind you we are off so that might be the reason. We do have a very good 3G pitch up there it may also be a tie in with edinburgh leisure. More reason to try and blag wearing my hibs tops more often then.

GGTTH

truehibernian
11-04-2017, 03:42 PM

Think you're being very harsh to be honest. It's a well run 'academy' and Greg Miller devotes a heck of lot of time (over and above I'd say) at making it work. They have (had) Darren Dods, Gareth Evans, Kenny Shiels working with the lads, as well as Keith Wright and other coaches from East/Midlothian. There are also some cracking players coming through - keep an eye on Zak Rudden at The Rangers for example (Hibs fan too) - cracking talent and will hopefully make it if he keeps the head and takes football more seriously.

My criticism of the SFA PSs are that 1) the trials are very subjective.......I have watched some trials (as you can imagine there are hundreds of kids wanting a place) and my opinion on a good, young player differed from the coaches evaluating performances. That means there are loads of kids disappointed/disheartened or missed. Secondly, they do all their core work on astro-turf - this has to change in my opinion and they must learn to play predominantly on grass pitches. That's where you really learn technique and skill (for me).

It's like any mid/long term process - we won't see the results (or properly evaluate the success of them) until players reach 18/19 - I still think there is merit in them, if anything they should be expanded and encouraged so we don't miss players.

where'stheslope
11-04-2017, 06:02 PM
Performance Schools have positive and negative reactions!
If a kid gets taken on its good for him and if sticks in all well and good.
If another kid does not get in, its a rejection he may not get over.
I played football with Scott Smith's dad and at 19 he thought his football life was over as he had not got picked up by a big team?
The idea of making elitist football players at a young age to me is totally wrong, let them just play football and get more coaches to turn up at more venues to give them all coaching not just elite players!!!

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-04-2017, 06:29 PM

:faf::faf::faf:

Brightside
13-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Think you're being very harsh to be honest. It's a well run 'academy' and Greg Miller devotes a heck of lot of time (over and above I'd say) at making it work. They have (had) Darren Dods, Gareth Evans, Kenny Shiels working with the lads, as well as Keith Wright and other coaches from East/Midlothian. There are also some cracking players coming through - keep an eye on Zak Rudden at The Rangers for example (Hibs fan too) - cracking talent and will hopefully make it if he keeps the head and takes football more seriously.

My criticism of the SFA PSs are that 1) the trials are very subjective.......I have watched some trials (as you can imagine there are hundreds of kids wanting a place) and my opinion on a good, young player differed from the coaches evaluating performances. That means there are loads of kids disappointed/disheartened or missed. Secondly, they do all their core work on astro-turf - this has to change in my opinion and they must learn to play predominantly on grass pitches. That's where you really learn technique and skill (for me).

It's like any mid/long term process - we won't see the results (or properly evaluate the success of them) until players reach 18/19 - I still think there is merit in them, if anything they should be expanded and encouraged so we don't miss players.

I've watched a lot of the trials in the past, and tbh i found it absurd that they were deciding on players based on that. Almost no drills, simply a few games of football with mixed teams and different sexes, sizes etc. I honestly think its the wrong people trying to do the right job.

Ozyhibby
13-04-2017, 08:47 AM
I've watched a lot of the trials in the past, and tbh i found it absurd that they were deciding on players based on that. Almost no drills, simply a few games of football with mixed teams and different sexes, sizes etc. I honestly think its the wrong people trying to do the right job.

The trial system they have is a joke. No idea about the school's themselves.

lord bunberry
13-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Dancing is in the DNA of their forefathers/brothers

JIm
13-04-2017, 09:30 AM

I'm a bit removed from it all these days but in terms of the trials its not just based on these. Players are scouted for the full year up until this point through club academy games, 2020 centres etc. Obviously there a those judged purely on the trials but the vast majority will be on the radar of SFA/pro youth etc.

Brightside
13-04-2017, 10:44 AM
I'm a bit removed from it all these days but in terms of the trials its not just based on these. Players are scouted for the full year up until this point through club academy games, 2020 centres etc. Obviously there a those judged purely on the trials but the vast majority will be on the radar of SFA/pro youth etc.

Only players that attend 2020 or pro-clubs are "scouted" There are hundreds of kids in youth clubs that for very good reasons would not attend those places, and the only time they are seen is at the trail. The trial itself is a shambles.

JIm
13-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Only players that attend 2020 or pro-clubs are "scouted" There are hundreds of kids in youth clubs that for very good reasons would not attend those places, and the only time they are seen is at the trail. The trial itself is a shambles.

So based on what i'm reading you see next to no merit in the setup? Perhaps putting words in your mouth but I must be close enough... What would you do differently/change to help improve the whole performance school programme? Or do you reckon there are better models/initiatives to help support these types of players?

For the record I think the idea on the whole is good however there are to many clubs wanting to many pieces of the pie/to do their own thing. Very difficult for the SFA to implement as they wish until they overhaul the whole youth setup.

calumhibee1
13-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Performance Schools have positive and negative reactions!
If a kid gets taken on its good for him and if sticks in all well and good.
If another kid does not get in, its a rejection he may not get over.
I played football with Scott Smith's dad and at 19 he thought his football life was over as he had not got picked up by a big team?
The idea of making elitist football players at a young age to me is totally wrong, let them just play football and get more coaches to turn up at more venues to give them all coaching not just elite players!!!

I believe scott smith is now playing amateurs, not even juniors or something similar, so I suppose he was right to an extent.

Planet Hibs
13-04-2017, 03:44 PM
I see a lot of academy football and both hibs and hearts are very similar in their methods for the younger age groups with very good standard of coaching and allowing the boys to express themselves without fear, I think anything that increases time on the pitch for quality coaching is an excellent thing and would not be surprised at all if hibs tie up with a high school in the next couple of years.

Brightside
13-04-2017, 04:06 PM
So based on what i'm reading you see next to no merit in the setup? Perhaps putting words in your mouth but I must be close enough... What would you do differently/change to help improve the whole performance school programme? Or do you reckon there are better models/initiatives to help support these types of players?

For the record I think the idea on the whole is good however there are to many clubs wanting to many pieces of the pie/to do their own thing. Very difficult for the SFA to implement as they wish until they overhaul the whole youth setup.

I don't think we have enough quality coaches for us to entertain youth development at club level and national level. I'd like regional elite academies, using the best coaches in the country. No more than 3 Elite centres in Scotland, those 3 teams would play against the best teams in the North of England. These centres would be jointly owned by senior clubs and the SFA in partnership, and the players would sign for senior teams at the end of their "education" via a draft system. That way the best player doesnt always end up at Celtic and Rangers and sitting on the bench for 2 years. You'd also still have top quality boys clubs as they are not all being wasted at loads of Pro Youth clubs.

I've watched the quality of coaching at Hibs and Hearts at levels up to 14 and in the main its awful - its a million times better at local boys clubs. We are far too small a country to have so many young players being coached by a limited number of experienced coaches.

where'stheslope
13-04-2017, 06:59 PM
I don't think we have enough quality coaches for us to entertain youth development at club level and national level. I'd like regional elite academies, using the best coaches in the country. No more than 3 Elite centres in Scotland, those 3 teams would play against the best teams in the North of England. These centres would be jointly owned by senior clubs and the SFA in partnership, and the players would sign for senior teams at the end of their "education" via a draft system. That way the best player doesnt always end up at Celtic and Rangers and sitting on the bench for 2 years. You'd also still have top quality boys clubs as they are not all being wasted at loads of Pro Youth clubs.

I've watched the quality of coaching at Hibs and Hearts at levels up to 14 and in the main its awful - its a million times better at local boys clubs. We are far too small a country to have so many young players being coached by a limited number of experienced coaches.

Never liked the word Elite!

In your statement you say there are better coaching to be had at at Local Boys Clubs, so in my view that is where the coaches should be going.

The draft system sounds like every player that goes to the Elite Centre gets a Senior Club, in every team players drop out through Injury or finding women, so they all won't make it and someone else who might have will be missed.

I know Kevin Thomson has been going around different Clubs offering coaching, he was at Bo'ness just a few weeks ago and the lads all loved it.

I think its a reasonable thing for players who may have been forced out of the game through injury or age, to be offered jobs by the SFA and putting them through their coaching badges and sent around local clubs to coach youngsters.

green day
04-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Bit in the EEN yesterday about this http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/craig-levein-performance-school-a-significant-day-in-hearts-history-1-4577133

Potentially one of the most significant days in their entire history, apparently.

Jesus, they dinnae half love rolling out a good news story after they have been beat eh?

GreenCastle
04-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Bit in the EEN yesterday about this http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/craig-levein-performance-school-a-significant-day-in-hearts-history-1-4577133

Potentially one of the most significant days in their entire history, apparently.

Jesus, they dinnae half love rolling out a good news story after they have been beat eh?

Wonder what the cost will be for them to run this ?

Some clubs are now scrapping youth links / academies as it's a waste of resource and very little return for investment made.

As always with any coaching initiative it can sound good but like the SFA performance schools and the 2020 vision get the wrong coaches taking sessions and you won't see many players develop. Instead you can have quite the opposite effect and a player stop playing football all together.

Keith_M
04-10-2017, 10:52 AM

I see it was 'written' by Banderson.

He had an article in Monday's News saying Hearts were now ready to 'explode' onto Scottish Football under Levein. Obviously a defeat at Dens is all the evidence he needs.

G B Young
04-10-2017, 11:07 AM

He had an article in Monday's News saying Hearts were now ready to 'explode' onto Scottish Football under Levein. Obviously a defeat at Dens is all the evidence he needs.

According to allisbarry the school tie-in is what 'big' clubs do.

Bostonhibby
04-10-2017, 11:23 AM
According to allisbarry the school tie-in is what 'big' clubs do.Makes sense if they're going to be looking into a school at every home game.

Banderson really is the archetypal yam erse.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

StevieCowan
04-10-2017, 11:38 AM
It’s a good move for them and to be honest Hibs need to do something similar as well as looking at indoor facilities at EM.

I wonder if we will look at using Broughton High School.

poolman
04-10-2017, 11:40 AM

I think it's a home economics class about cooking chips

whiskas
04-10-2017, 11:41 AM
Given it’s in Balerno all the kids will be rugger buggers which suits the Hearts “robust” style of football I suppose

Deansy
04-10-2017, 12:51 PM

Confirmation that it's jamboganda - written by their No.1 'muppet-with-a-laptop'.

Brightside
04-10-2017, 01:11 PM
It’s a good move for them and to be honest Hibs need to do something similar as well as looking at indoor facilities at EM.

I wonder if we will look at using Broughton High School.

We should be using Portobello. Best facilities in the city now for football.

Kato
04-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Confirmation that it's jamboganda - written by their No.1 'muppet-with-a-laptop'.

His remit is to write Puff Pieces for the "simple fans" - some of the lies he's written about them in recent years disqualifies him from being called a journalist.

green day
04-10-2017, 02:25 PM
His remit is to write Puff Pieces for the "simple fans" - some of the lies he's written about them in recent years disqualifies him from being called a journalist.

Aye, another one today about Darren Murray and how "hearts first team will soon be full of academy graduates".

Thats softening the windae lickers up for - "Er we cannae afford seasoned players due to the overspend on the stand so need to throw the youth in at the deep end"

Jones28
04-10-2017, 02:33 PM

We should be using as many schools as we can, make it as good and as attractive to come to Hibs as possible.

jacomo
04-10-2017, 03:32 PM

I don't know.

If only we had competent journalists who could keep us updated eh?

Absolutely baffling that Banderson doesn't even mention it.

Actually it's not baffling, cos he's rubbish.

Andy74
04-10-2017, 07:38 PM
We educate the players at East Mains don’t we? I know a sometime poster here and ex teacher takes classes there.

IGRIGI
04-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Spent 7 years at Balerno surrounded by your Hoorah Henry rugby Hearts types, will never forget the level of seethe from the head teacher when he saw me sporting a Hibs top the Monday after the "Unbeatable" derby.

Hope this performance school bombs.

Colr
04-10-2017, 08:59 PM

Only for boys!

Sexist neanderthals!

Brightside
04-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Its only for boys as they are only allowing kids that are signed for Hearts Pro Youth to attend.

Colr
05-10-2017, 05:59 AM
Its only for boys as they are only allowing kids that are signed for Hearts Pro Youth to attend.

Disgraceful in this day and age!

sadtom
05-10-2017, 06:19 AM

If thats the case is a shocker that Porty haven't even put a team into this years schools seniors (5th & 6th yrs) league.

I know a number of the lads from year 2000's that attended the SFA (Broughton) school. I think it was a dozen boys to start with, certainly not all finished it and some went back to their 'local' schools after a couple of years. I have had mixed reports regarding how well it was run or how successful it was.
I know there were several lads who didnt fancy the idea of a 'dedicated' school and didnt even attend the 'trial' (my own boys for a start, though i dont thinkeither would have been picked anyway).
Those invited to go to the trial were the ones that had got down to the last 40 or so (i think) from the Embra primary school select trials. Which had been a shambles to be honest. Not when it was the last 40 or so, but when it was a few hundred before they got whittled down. Several really good players didnt make it to the last 40 that should have. It was just bounce games and from what i could see the coaches/selectors spent more time chatting to each other and not even watching the games.
The coaching for the last 40 was good enough and i imagine the same went for the Performance school trial.
Invariably from the dozen or so that were picked to attend, 5/6 were at Hibs pro youth, 2/3 at hertz, 1 the rangers, 1 Livi and only a couple that weren't pro youth but they were at Hutchy. Essentially all these kids were very much already on the 'radar', so not too sure what benefit they got from being at a football 'academy' school. I think it was helpful/productive for some, not so much for others.

NZ Green
05-10-2017, 12:29 PM
I think it's a home economics class about cooking chips
or just economics classes about cooking the books.

green day
06-10-2017, 11:00 AM
Another puff piece from Banderson in the EEN today.

Apparently there are lots more of the quality of Harry Cochrane who had a debut v Dundee at the weekend. Banderson then goes on to say Cochrane didnt look out of place and had an assured debut.

However, the jambo view, according to JKB, is that he was nowhere near ready and the match passed him by.

I cant help thinking this stream of fake good news is being placed for a reason - a bit pathetic that the EEN is complicit in these type of stories.

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Potter as well fraffing off about this, let's see how many they churn out only to boot them out with the slightest injury.

Anything for nothing as usual from the deluded cheats.

Bostonhibby
06-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Potter as well fraffing off about this, let's see how many they churn out only to boot them out with the slightest injury.

Anything for nothing as usual from the deluded cheats.They showed how they really operate with their handling of one Jason "hammer of the hearts" Cummings.

This is just the EEN doing its wee bit for its team in advance of another bad news story.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk