PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

Lancs Harp
10-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Sorry dont know how to do a poll.

Should we be able to get a beer under the stands ala England or should the drinking ban remain in place?

If you have strong views either way, what is the basis for your view?

Winston Ingram
10-04-2017, 09:19 PM
As long as it's not Tennents:sick:

Deansy
10-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Yes we should but one particular club's support (maybe two for argument's sake) makes it extremely unlikely it'll ever happen.

Lancs Harp
10-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Yes we should but one particular club's support (maybe two for argument's sake) makes it extremely unlikely it'll ever happen.

But surely they are drinking just the same pre match, just buying it in pubs and clubs near the ground?

SChibs
10-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Not sure if this is affected by the same rules but is there anything stopping hibs creating a mini fanszone before games behind the east? Get a long bar in big space at the south ends and some food wagons in there too? The only way to control numbers would be to keep it to east stand ticket holders only though

ancient hibee
10-04-2017, 09:26 PM
Behind the Goals got mixed reviews all the time it operated.

green&left
10-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Not sure if this is affected by the same rules but is there anything stopping hibs creating a mini fanszone before games behind the east? Get a long bar in big space at the south ends and some food wagons in there too? The only way to control numbers would be to keep it to east stand ticket holders only though

Probably the (idiotic) council and polis. Aberdeen sent a delegation to witness a few fanzones in Germany for their new stadium but one of the papers ran they'd need to get over licensing issues before any such thing could even be considered, and with the SNP constantly pushing their anti-alcohol it would no doubt get KB'd. Pity too as having witnessed the fanzones in Germany and even down at Man City they were fantastic.

Regards to the original question aye i should be unfortunately the erses who run this country are still stuck in 1980

majorhibs
10-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Probably the (idiotic) council and polis. Aberdeen sent a delegation to witness a few fanzones in Germany for their new stadium but one of the papers ran they'd need to get over licensing issues before any such thing could even be considered, and with the SNP constantly pushing their anti-alcohol it would no doubt get KB'd. Pity too as having witnessed the fanzones in Germany and even down at Man City they were fantastic.

Regards to the original question aye i should be unfortunately the erses who run this country are still stuck in 1980

The people who "run" this country's heads in own rearend attitude to alcohol is more john knox than 1980, unfortunately.

Dr What If?
10-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Simple answer, YES. I can see no reason why the same basic rules that govern pubs and clubs can't apply to football - if you can't control the behaviour of your patrons then your licence should be removed, you don't ban alcohol from all pubs.
If you go to watch the rugby you can have a beer while you sit and watch the game, it makes for a better atmosphere - the biggest disruption that causes is the need for that essential 'pee' beer inspires. If cups end up on the pitch then the beer stops and that would be our fault - those clubs who have fans that can behave should keep the benefit.

lord bunberry
10-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Of course we should. We already have the ridiculous situation where you can drink in the stadium before the game, but have to leave the stand and re enter the same stand through a different entrance. They should trial it in category b games to start with and take it from there. There's no reason why we couldn't do it in our stadiums fir home fans only. I can quite easily go without a drink whilst at the game, but the fact that it's banned really annoys me. The only difference it would make to me is that I would have a quick beer at half time. I've been to a few games down south and it makes no difference whatsoever to the behaviour of the fans in the ground. The bar closes 15 minutes before kick off and opens for 15 minutes at halftime.

.Sean.
10-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Of course they should. What's the difference between one of us at Easter Road as opposed to a supporter at Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford and the toffs at Twickenham and Murrayfield?

Ridiculous rule and there should be a movement to get it changed asap as its sheer victimisation.

NAE NOOKIE
10-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Not really bothered either way .... but if the clubs want to trial it I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be given a chance. The drink inside stadiums ban goes all the way back to that old firm cup final 36 years ago, its time everybody moved on and looked at the situation elsewhere in Europe where drinking in stadiums happens every weekend with no evidence that has an adverse affect on fans behaviour.

CMurdoch
10-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Simple answer, YES. I can see no reason why the same basic rules that govern pubs and clubs can't apply to football - if you can't control the behaviour of your patrons then your licence should be removed, you don't ban alcohol from all pubs.
If you go to watch the rugby you can have a beer while you sit and watch the game, it makes for a better atmosphere - the biggest disruption that causes is the need for that essential 'pee' beer inspires. If cups end up on the pitch then the beer stops and that would be our fault - those clubs who have fans that can behave should keep the benefit.

Tin hat on.
Sorry Raymond comparing Football with Rugby isn't a relevant comparison.
As has been said many times before, rugby fans of opposing teams respect each other. There is no segregation of the fans. Can you imagine that at Celtic v Rangers, Hibs v Hearts or Scotland v England games!
Additionally the supporters don't try to assault the players, verbally abuse them, spit on them etc.
Numpties in the support of all Scottish football teams will continue to ensure that we can't all have a beer whilst watching the game.

Itsnoteasy
10-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Tin hat on.
As has been said many times before, rugby fans of opposing teams respect each other. There is no segregation of the fans. Can you imagine that at Celtic v Rangers, Hibs v Hearts or Scotland v England games!
Additionally the supporters don't try to assault the players, verbally abuse them, spit on them etc.
Numpties in the support of all Scottish football teams will continue to ensure that we can't all have a beer whilst watching the game.

No the players just assault each other.

Itsnoteasy
10-04-2017, 11:12 PM

I can't see how having a pint makes for a better atmosphere.

Andy74
10-04-2017, 11:15 PM
I thought there was no point discussing things that are currently illegal and Hibs don't allow? 😉

Lancs Harp
10-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Tin hat on.

But you can get a beer at United v Liverpool, City v United, Spurs v Arsenal, Birmingham v Villa. Newcastle v Sunderland, Norwich v Ipswich, Blackburn v Burnley, West Ham v Millwall, Swansea v Cardiff etc etc all flashpoint games. Whats the difference getting a coffee, a pizza, a bovril, a beer?? Fans wanting to get tanked up will anyway. Personally I dont get a beer pre match in England (or at half time although have friends that do) and prefer to drink in local pubs but I support the viewpoint of those that think it should be the same in Scotland as it is in England or Europe.

Hibs and Rangers fans fought on the pitch last May, Hearts fan(s) spat on celtic players, non bought a beer in the ground. Is buying beer in the ground an issue? I'd say not.

lord bunberry
10-04-2017, 11:17 PM
Tin hat on.

No one is suggesting we should be having a beer while watching the football. Down south you can have a beer in the stadium before the game and another at half time. There's not 1 good reason why you can do this at St James park but not at Easter Road. If you can think of one I'd be delighted to hear it.

lord bunberry
10-04-2017, 11:18 PM
But you can get a beer at United v Liverpool, City v United, Spurs v Arsenal, Birmingham v Villa. Newcastle v Sunderland, Norwich v Ipswich, Blackburn v Burnley, West Ham v Millwall, Swansea v Cardiff etc etc all flashpoint games. Whats the difference getting a coffee, a pizza, a bovril, a beer?? Fans wanting to get tanked up will anyway. Personally I dont get a beer pre match in England (or at half time although have friends that do) and prefer to drink in local pubs but I support the viewpoint of those that think it should be the same in Scotland as it is in England or Europe.

Hibs and Rangers fans fought on the pitch last May, Hearts fan(s) spat on celtic players, non bought a beer in the ground. Is buying beer in the ground an issue? I'd say not.

Nail on the head

CMurdoch
10-04-2017, 11:27 PM

I agree Scotland should be the same as England.
I don't know if it is something the rich English clubs managed to force through or is it one of the joys of having a Scottish parliament that we are treated differently.

CMurdoch
10-04-2017, 11:46 PM
No one is suggesting we should be having a beer while watching the football. Down south you can have a beer in the stadium before the game and another at half time. There's not 1 good reason why you can do this at St James park but not at Easter Road. If you can think of one I'd be delighted to hear it.

I agree with you and I believe it will happen.
It is an issue which has been a political football (no pun intended) in recent years with Labour and the Conservatives calling for a trial or an end to the alcohol ban and the SNP government disagreeing. Obviously Labour and the Conservatives could just be playing the political game.

lord bunberry
10-04-2017, 11:48 PM
I agree with you and I believe it will happen.
It is an issue which has been a political football (no pun intended) in recent years with Labour and the Conservatives calling for a trial or an end to the alcohol ban and the SNP government disagreeing. Obviously Labour and the Conservatives could just be playing the political game.

I might be wrong, but I think it's a matter for the local council rather than the Scottish parliament

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 12:12 AM
I might be wrong, but I think it's a matter for the local council rather than the Scottish parliament

The law empowers Scottish ministers to decide in which grounds/events an alcohol ban is enforced. Murrayfield was dedesignated in 2007 hence alcohol can now be consumed there.
The councils only role at Easter Road will be to licence the hospitality/corporate areas.

Scott Allan Key
11-04-2017, 12:20 AM

I'd wager alcohol bought outside the ground did play a part in the behaviour of those that did misbehave. Therein lies the problem. Numpties will make bigger numpties of themselves and spoil it for those who can regulate themselves.

ozwoody
11-04-2017, 12:26 AM

What strength is the beer sold at EPL games?
Across here, beer is served at all sporting grounds and codes , with the difference that in the general admission area its mid strength and members area full strength.
Also there is no segregation between supporters and hardly any violence occurs ( couple of times I can think of in ten years here )
I think its a different mind set here where fans just like having a beer watching game and enjoy day out , if they dont like mid strength, they dont drink it.Its not really a discussion that is had here.
Actually, my mates are stunned we dont have beer at games and surprised we have segregation.
The worst violence i have seen was a few years ago when they had a tourney involving blackburn, rangers and AEK athens, that opened a few peoples eyes as to why there is segregation in europe!

Forza Fred
11-04-2017, 12:27 AM
Have sat watching fitba here with a beer in my hand since I arrived in 1974, purchased at bars in the ground.

GreenLake
11-04-2017, 04:57 AM
This prohibition is out of date.

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2017, 05:54 AM
Trouble that happened in a Scottish football ground would probably be attributed to the selling of alcohol in the ground by the media. Apart from the Old Firm were it would be totally dismissed along with their bigotry song sheet. Apart from that I think it's a good idea.

madhibee_again
11-04-2017, 08:30 AM

Still think it's something Hibs need to seriously look into. Could be brilliant if done properly and there's space between the F5 and East to make it happen. I'd tweeted both Tracey and Leeann about it after getting back from Germany and experiencing it over there. Get local breweries involved along with local food producers and you'd be onto a winner.

Speedy
11-04-2017, 08:46 AM
I can't see how having a pint makes for a better atmosphere.

If people enjoy a beer they'll be happy and happier people make a better atmosphere.

Speedy
11-04-2017, 08:48 AM
From games in England I've been to it isn't all it's cracked up to be. Long queues at half time for a beer then you have 5 minutes to neck it before going back to your seat.

Would be different if you could have a beer in your seat.

BullsCloseHibs
11-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Of course they should. What's the difference between one of us at Easter Road as opposed to a supporter at Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford and the toffs at Twickenham and Murrayfield?

Ridiculous rule and there should be a movement to get it changed asap as its sheer victimisation.

Unfortunately, the answer is the Glasgow Infirm. Because one of their fixtures would definitely end up with a violent episode and the whole booze at stadiums thing would be crushed in a millisecond. And if the Infirm don't get to sell booze in their stadiums the rest won't either.

BullsCloseHibs
11-04-2017, 10:26 AM
From games in England I've been to it isn't all it's cracked up to be. Long queues at half time for a beer then you have 5 minutes to neck it before going back to your seat.

Would be different if you could have a beer in your seat.

At Newcastle there are no queues for booze. It's a simple affair. It's just certain Scottish mentalities abuse the whole thing. Not everyone, but an element would abuse it. I've never seen groups of Neds boozing to excess inside Newcastle's stadium. Yet, still to this day, there's queues of youngsters (mainly Weegis, but not always) wanting to buy bottles of Buckfast at shops in Montrose Terr and Cadzow Place prior to KO in order to get 'full of it'. And it's all that is grim about Scotland and it's booze culture.

Since90+2
11-04-2017, 10:28 AM
The simple answer is to make it available to all matches except those deemed Category A games. You are not going to get any bother at Hibs v Motherwell , Hearts v Inverness , Celtic v Ross County ect ect because some fans would have had a pint of low strength lager in the concourse.

Old Firm games and Edinburgh Derbies plus Hibs v Rangers and a few others would be a different story.

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2017, 10:34 AM
The simple answer is to make it available to all matches except those deemed Category A games. You are not going to get any bother at Hibs v Motherwell , Hearts v Inverness , Celtic v Ross County ect ect because some fans would have had a pint of low strength lager in the concourse.

Old Firm games and Edinburgh Derbies plus Hibs v Rangers and a few others would be a different story.

Why would there be trouble if fans had a pint of low strength lager in the concourse at Old Firm and Derbies?

The answer is it won't make a blind bit of difference. Erses who want to cause trouble will always get boozed up and cause it, this idea that booze inside the ground will make it worse is nonsense. It's high time the authorities realised that and stopped tarring decent
football fans with the same brush.

Johnny Clash
11-04-2017, 10:34 AM
It was handy in the scorching sun at Brondby right enough albeit low alcohol content which was fine given we'd been bevying two days solid. Also many, many pints created what seemed like an endless lager waterfall when the hibees ran out onto the pitch.

Not fussed about bevying inside ER as plenty options near the ground pre match... my favourite being the Harp & Castle.

Since90+2
11-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Why would there be trouble if fans had a pint of low strength lager in the concourse at Old Firm and Derbies?

The answer is it won't make a blind bit of difference. Erses who want to cause trouble will always get boozed up and cause it, this idea that booze inside the ground will make it worse is nonsense. It's high time the authorities realised that and stopped tarring decent
football fans with the same brush.

My original post was a bit unclear,I was meaning from the viewpoint of the authorities that they would see it differently. If we do get alcohol in stadiums in Scotland I would be shocked if it's ever allowed in those matches.

Is there any restriction for certain games in England? For instance Sunderland v Newcastle or West Ham v Millwall or is it just widely available at all fixtures?

HFCdeb
11-04-2017, 10:41 AM
I'm not a fitbaw drinker so I'm a bit ambivalent to whether you can drink at the game or not.
I can see the pros and cons but my main issue would be with the inevitable streams of people making you stand up every two minutes because they need to go to the toilet, and the extra special selfish ones who stop and stand right in front of you because something is happening in the match thus, restricting your view further. It's bad enough just now without booze added in, but I think I'd seriously lose my s*it if it got worse.

Scouse Hibee
11-04-2017, 10:55 AM
My original post was a bit unclear,I was meaning from the viewpoint of the authorities that they would see it differently. If we do get alcohol in stadiums in Scotland I would be shocked if it's ever allowed in those matches.

Is there any restriction for certain games in England? For instance Sunderland v Newcastle or West Ham v Millwall or is it just widely available at all fixtures?

Okay fair point, not sure about those games you mention but I don't think there are any restrictions at all.

nellio
11-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Certainly no restrictions when I went to Cardiff Swansea a few years ago.

Couldn't believe it when I couldn't';t get a pint at the match when I first moved up here, can't see any reason why this law shouldn't be gotten rid of.

lucky
11-04-2017, 01:13 PM
It's a class thing. The authorities allow middle class rugby types to drink watching a game but won't allow working class watching football.

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 01:13 PM

This would be the way to do it. See how it goes.

Mick O'Rourke
11-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Some peepul have no problem drinking during the match.

When supporters of the team formerly known as Rangers come to town,they drink in the biggest bar on London Road
Known as "The Grassy Knoll"
Its stretches from the top of Easter Road all along to Leith Walk.
Its quite unique in pub terms.
There are no bar staff and the toilets are communal.
There is live music, too.
Mostly folk singing and some flute playing/drum beating numbers.
There is no age limit either and Buckfast appears to be the tipple of choice at that venue.

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 01:38 PM
It's a class thing. The authorities allow middle class rugby types to drink watching a game but won't allow working class watching football.

That is not true, see post 13 on page 1 of this thread for explanation.
Unfortunately for us good spuds who support our team in the right way, there is a minority in every football teams support who are total morons.
As a young guy Gala and Hawick were the top rugby clubs in Scotland and the fans were working class folk. The rivalry was feisty and the fans hated their opponents. But, although there was loads of banter and aggressive support in an unsegregated crowd there was never a hint of violence. Players were verbally abused but not the distasteful stuff like I have heard from some dicks at the football and no one tried to assault the players, spit on them etc (the players would have probably given them a doing if they did).

Itsnoteasy
11-04-2017, 03:25 PM
If people enjoy a beer they'll be happy and happier people make a better atmosphere.

Never had a pint 21 May 2016 along with many thousands and you telling me the atmosphere was poor.

Had a few pints before Morton on Saturday & the atmosphere was crap.

lucky
11-04-2017, 03:40 PM
That is not true, see post 13 on page 1 of this thread for explanation.
Unfortunately for us good spuds who support our team in the right way, there is a minority in every football teams support who are total morons.
As a young guy Gala and Hawick were the top rugby clubs in Scotland and the fans were working class folk. The rivalry was feisty and the fans hated their opponents. But, although there was loads of banter and aggressive support in an unsegregated crowd there was never a hint of violence. Players were verbally abused but not the distasteful stuff like I have heard from some dicks at the football and no one tried to assault the players, spit on them etc (the players would have probably given them a doing if they did).

One example of rivalry between too tiny supports does not stand up against the drunken middle class hordes that attend Murrayfield and act in a oafish manners before after games. It's time football fans were treated fairly in this country. If there hooligans causing trouble deal with them rather than punish us all

11-04-2017, 04:22 PM
It is pretty sad that the authorities up here deem football fans in this country too untrustworthy to have alcohol inside the ground, unfortunatly the idiots have ruined it for the majority, but personally i'm not too bothered. Been down to English games and bought a drink in the ground and its mainly just over priced, lukewarm, flat beer.

Quite happy just to have a drink before and or after the game. If you can't last 90 minutes or so without another bevy you probably need to go speak to a doctor :wink: Seriously though, not bothered about having it, especially at the bigger games such as derbies or games at hampden when we already have a lot of folk in the crowd who have well over done it and could probably use the 90 minutes to sober up a little bit.

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 04:26 PM
One example of rivalry between too tiny supports does not stand up against the drunken middle class hordes that attend Murrayfield and act in a oafish manners before after games. It's time football fans were treated fairly in this country. If there hooligans causing trouble deal with them rather than punish us all

The 76,000 fans (our football teams other than the uglies have a tiny support in comparison) at Murrayfield don't need to be segregated, they don't fight with or abuse each other and don't try to physically assault, spit on or otherwise abuse the players. A lot of them might be tossers but they behave themselves. If only all football supporters could behave in the same way.

I would like to see a trial of alcohol at non category A games.

Magnifique
11-04-2017, 04:51 PM
I was at the Toronto FC game on Sat night.

Can of piss poor cider was $13 (about £8). Selling like hot cakes though.

Great revenue stream

barcahibs
11-04-2017, 05:10 PM

Have you ever met a human being before?

TBH there's enough folk doing their best to spoil everyone else's day at the football by drinking too much already. I dread to think what some of the folk i always end up sitting next to would be like without that enforced two hour break from the bevvy.

I just don't really get the appeal. Theres no way you can have it at your seat, so it'll need to be in the concourse. You can't possibly have it at category A matches for obvious reasons. Anyone who's followed our recent adventures at Hampdump would surely agree that the last thing some folk there need is more drink so that is also hopefully ruled out.

What's left? Does anyone really desperately want to neck an overpriced, flat, warm, low quality beer out of a plastic cup in the five minutes you'll have available during half time at a 0-0 draw against Motherwell in the pouring rain in November?

Why not just enjoy a drink with your mates/family in the pub/at home before and after? Is two hours without a beer on a Saturday afternoon really such a hardship?

Not worth it for the inevitable bother IMO

11-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Have you ever met a human being before?

TBH there's enough folk doing their best to spoil everyone else's day at the football by drinking too much already. I dread to think what some of the folk i always end up sitting next to would be like without that enforced two hour break from the bevvy.

I just don't really get the appeal. Theres no way you can have it at your seat, so it'll need to be in the concourse. You can't possibly have it at category A matches for obvious reasons. Anyone who's followed our recent adventures at Hampdump would surely agree that the last thing some folk there need is more drink so that is also hopefully ruled out.

What's left? Does anyone really desperately want to neck an overpriced, flat, warm, low quality beer out of a plastic cup in the five minutes you'll have available during half time at a 0-0 draw against Motherwell in the pouring rain in November?

Why not just enjoy a drink with your mates/family in the pub/at home before and after? Is two hours without a beer on a Saturday afternoon really such a hardship?

Not worth it for the inevitable bother IMO

Agree that the bigger games bring out the idiot element in the support. Trips to tynecastle, hampden etc. Some folk seem to think these games are only worth going to if your ****ed out your mind. Which is fine if you choose to get drunk but you can actually behave yourself and not act like a total dick at the game. I've had a good bevy with my pals before some game but gone to the game and not caused any bother, unfortunately some folk make it a highly unpleasant experience for those around them in the ground after they've had a bevy in them.

Idiots always ruin it unfortunatly.

SChibs
11-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Never had a pint 21 May 2016 along with many thousands and you telling me the atmosphere was poor.

Had a few pints before Morton on Saturday & the atmosphere was crap.

Not sure if you are joking or not but it's not really a valid comparison

Sir David Gray
11-04-2017, 05:54 PM
I tend to drive to games so it doesn't really bother me either way but I think it should be an option at low risk matches.

Unfortunately there won't be any shift in the stance of the authorities any time soon as it's a political hot potato.

Lancs Harp
11-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Of course big games bring out more of the "idiot" element but will they drink any more because alcohol is available in the ground? I'd say they will drink just the same if my experience in England is anything to go by. The difference is they currently drink it in pubs around the ground, the amount will be the same. Fans tend to follow their normal drinking habits with perhaps grabbing a beer at half time or having their last beer in the ground before kick off instead of in the pub. I'd say away fans certainly drink in town then migrate to the ground and have a last beer there. The amount of beer they are drinking is just the same, only the location is different. Football clubs might as well make a bob or two out of fans drinking. Fans on a football away day beer special are likely to have drunk alcohol on their journey to the away town/City and in pubs in that town beer being available in the ground wont make any difference and mot fans, like in pubs in general will drink responsibly.

Pretty Boy
11-04-2017, 08:45 PM
It doesn't bother me either way as crap beer out a plastic cup isn't my cup of tea. However it seens utterly ridiculous someone can go into ER stadium, down 6 or 7 pints then go out one door and back in another and that's fine but allowing someone to buy a pint in the concourse would apparently cause world war 3.

Itsnoteasy
11-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Not sure if you are joking or not but it's not really a valid comparison

The comparison is valid. The point made by another was if you like a pint at a match it makes a better atmosphere. Which is BS

Since90+2
12-04-2017, 05:37 AM
The comparison is valid. The point made by another was if you like a pint at a match it makes a better atmosphere. Which is BS

You are comparing a Scottish cup final to a league game against Morton. Of course the atmosphere is going to be completely different regardless of alcohol intake so it's not a valid comparison.

If someone wants a pint at half time then they should be allowed to do just that. It's a nonsense that it's allowed in England ,including some matches that I would argue are more highly charged than anything in Scotland bar possibly the Old firm, but not here.

Me personally I probably wouldn't bother at 90 percent of games but if someone does then I have no issue with it.

AndyM_1875
12-04-2017, 08:53 AM
The days of yer Da and his mates taking an Agnews carry out to the fitba are what people who peddle the booze at football mantra think about through misty eyes. I vaguely recall the 70s and they never mention the glass bottles occasionally hurled at the opposition fans or by them nor the animals urinating openly on the terracing.

The reality of the modern beer at football/rugby is horrible, overpriced, low strength beer served at room temperature in a plastic glass or out of a plastic bottle after long queues. two beers at football in England set my friend back £14. Added to that you have the people who can't watch a game without a drink constantly getting up to pee/get more rubbish beer getting on the nerves of people watching the game.

Since90+2
12-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Added to that you have the people who can't watch a game without a drink constantly getting up to pee/get more rubbish beer getting on the nerves of people watching the game.

Can you get alcohol during the game?

On the odd occasion I've been to games in England it's only been available prior to the game starting and at half time not while the game is being played.

Itsnoteasy
12-04-2017, 09:03 AM
You are comparing a Scottish cup final to a league game against Morton. Of course the atmosphere is going to be completely different regardless of alcohol intake so it's not a valid comparison.

If someone wants a pint at half time then they should be allowed to do just that. It's a nonsense that it's allowed in England ,including some matches that I would argue are more highly charged than anything in Scotland bar possibly the Old firm, but not here.

Me personally I probably wouldn't bother at 90 percent of games but if someone does then I have no issue with it.

It doesn't make the atmosphere any better. It's what happens on the park that makes the atmosphere not a half time pint. That is my comparison.

Lancs Harp
12-04-2017, 10:53 AM

On the odd occasion I've been to games in England it's only been available prior to the game starting and at half time not while the game is being played.

Correct. I've also never paid £7 for a beer either even at Wembley. However having said that it is generally overpriced (like all football stadium food and drink fare) and being a coinnoisseur of fine ales the quality is indeed dire, but then again Tennents seem to shift a fair amount of their product in Scotland so for many I guess quality isnt an issue.:wink:

Lancs Harp
12-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Just to add, personally I wouldnt sell it at half time. Its not really a long enough time period and just means you get people leaving their seats to get in the queue about 10 minutes before the end of the half, which Ive always found strange behaviour but there you go each to their own!

Super_JMcGinn
12-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Sorry dont know how to do a poll.

Should we be able to get a beer under the stands ala England or should the drinking ban remain in place?

If you have strong views either way, what is the basis for your view?

IMHO alcohol has no place at football matches.

AndyM_1875
12-04-2017, 11:04 AM

At Murrayfield certainly and I did refer to rugby as well.

Moulin Yarns
12-04-2017, 11:31 AM
As long as it's not Tennents:sick:

I was in a bar getting a pint of Strath Braan Eighty Bob when the guy next to me ordered a pint of lager. Unlike most city pubs this bar has a selection of lagers from smaller breweries but they guy insisted it had to be Tennents. Even though there was Inveralmond, West, and Peroni on offer. Strange world!!

Peevemor
12-04-2017, 11:48 AM
I was in a bar getting a pint of Strath Braan Eighty Bob when the guy next to me ordered a pint of lager. Unlike most city pubs this bar has a selection of lagers from smaller breweries but they guy insisted it had to be Tennents. Even though there was Inveralmond, West, and Peroni on offer. Strange world!!
Reminds me of the time a (Fifer) pal of mine asked for a "pint ae spishul". The barman explained that they didn't have special and proposed Belhaven Best instead, to which my mate answered "a'right - as long as it tastes as pish as spishul."

CMurdoch
12-04-2017, 11:59 AM
The days of yer Da and his mates taking an Agnews carry out to the fitba are what people who peddle the booze at football mantra think about through misty eyes. I vaguely recall the 70s and they never mention the glass bottles occasionally hurled at the opposition fans or by them nor the animals urinating openly on the terracing.

The reality of the modern beer at football/rugby is horrible, overpriced, low strength beer served at room temperature in a plastic glass or out of a plastic bottle after long queues. two beers at football in England set my friend back £14. Added to that you have the people who can't watch a game without a drink constantly getting up to pee/get more rubbish beer getting on the nerves of people watching the game.

Think you have nailed it all there :top marks

Dashing Bob S
12-04-2017, 12:19 PM
I personally like not having drink available at the game. It ensures at least two hours of sobriety on a Saturday.

Albanian Hibs
12-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Yes. Pre season at Shrewsbury. I went down half hour into game and got 3 bottles each for me and my Dad. We stood and drank them and went back to our seats about 15 mins in to 2nd half. Some were still buying and drinking for most of 2nd half!

lord bunberry
12-04-2017, 12:59 PM
IMHO alcohol has no place at football matches.
It's already on sale in the behind the goals bar and at half time in the hospitality section.

Keith_M
12-04-2017, 01:26 PM
IIRC, there was much more than just an alcohol ban introduced after the 1980 Cup Final Riot *. They also introduced the laws on taking items into the stadium that could be used as 'missiles', thereby saving those of us that didn't particularly enjoy being hit by a hail of bottles and beer cans.

If they could keep this part of the law, and introduce extra urinals for the inevitable full bladders, then I'd be OK with allowing alcohol consumption inside stadia.

As long as everybody realises that, going by past experience, and by the standards of current food and drink, the beer will be awful and over priced.

* Which was a REAL riot, not just over exuberant fans being attacked by petulant Huns.

Lancs Harp
12-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Yes. Pre season at Shrewsbury. I went down half hour into game and got 3 bottles each for me and my Dad. We stood and drank them and went back to our seats about 15 mins in to 2nd half. Some were still buying and drinking for most of 2nd half!

Perhaps that was because it was a friendly Im not sure but it is certainly the case that alcohol is NOT allowed in the stands in England.

Albanian Hibs
12-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Perhaps that was because it was a friendly Im not sure but it is certainly the case that alcohol is NOT allowed in the stands in England.

We werent at our seats though. We were down the stairs at the pie stalls.

Lancs Harp
12-04-2017, 05:02 PM
We werent at our seats though. We were down the stairs at the pie stalls.

Oh apologies I misunderstood. Thought you meant people had taken beers into the stands.

majorhibs
12-04-2017, 08:22 PM

What is it wi folk who gie it the "my opinion is IT" pish nowadays? No that's not it & yer talkin drivel. Misty eyes? Yer Dad? You sure yer no still on some 60s trippy stuff there?

neil7908
12-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Plenty of opportunities to drink in Scotland and I'm not convinced personally about the need to mix booze and football.

It's very much a personal thing for me and if the law changes then fine but been to too many games with folk off their face who can't control themselves. Giving them more access to alcohol isn't a great idea to me.

AndyM_1875
12-04-2017, 08:44 PM
What is it wi folk who gie it the "my opinion is IT" pish nowadays? No that's not it & yer talkin drivel. Misty eyes? Yer Dad? You sure yer no still on some 60s trippy stuff there?

Aye, very good.:rolleyes:

majorhibs
12-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Aye, very good.:rolleyes:

Very witty. Yer 1st post, this is how things are & how you are & that was what happened then! Was utter drivel.

heretoday
12-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Our country is awash with booze. Let's keep football grounds at least booze-free.

majorhibs
12-04-2017, 09:30 PM
Our country is awash with booze. Let's keep football grounds at least booze-free.

BS I'm afraid! Easy cop out replies! Go to somewhere like Belgium- in the airports, train stations, vending machines selling cans of yer fave beer- awash with beer if you want it, but not lazy repetetive apologists who blame everybody & everything else & don't look or have a scooby why their place is so bad. Utter uselessness & Laziness stemming fi the SNPs half witted ban it stop it nonsense- stupid lazy thinking.

SuperAllyMcleod
12-04-2017, 09:43 PM
I'm not a drinker but do remember going to the match before it was banned - while you could move along the terrace to avoid the belligerent drunk that's no longer an option in all seated stadia.

Next time you are at the game, watch the number of people going to the toilets from around the 35 min mark - it's going to be a lot more if you bring back alcohol and again the disruption is greater in an all seated stadium.

Why not compromise - alcohol free beer? After all, us Coca Cola drinkers have to make do with a poor substitute at inflated prices from the catering kiosks so it's only fair.

Lancs Harp
12-04-2017, 09:52 PM
I'm not a drinker but do remember going to the match before it was banned - while you could move along the terrace to avoid the belligerent drunk that's no longer an option in all seated stadia.

Next time you are at the game, watch the number of people going to the toilets from around the 35 min mark - it's going to be a lot more if you bring back alcohol and again the disruption is greater in an all seated stadium.

Why not compromise - alcohol free beer? After all, us Coca Cola drinkers have to make do with a poor substitute at inflated prices from the catering kiosks so it's only fair.

Is it the alcohol that makes people go to the toilet then or the liquid?

People who want to drink pre match are already doing so, they are just buying it in local pubs and clubs. Why cant football clubs cash in by offering what pubs are already offering and supplying?

Sammy7nil
12-04-2017, 10:08 PM

Strange post nothing wrong with tennents people should drink what they like. Cant be doing with real ale snobs or peeps who insist everyone should be drinking over priced designer lagers.

Haymaker
13-04-2017, 03:55 AM

Depends what level you're watching. I have had plenty beers in the stands at English football grounds.

AndyM_1875
13-04-2017, 06:08 AM
Very witty. Yer 1st post, this is how things are & how you are & that was what happened then! Was utter drivel.

Coming from you I'll take that as a compliment seeing as how your first post to me was basically a sneer.

I described how I remember pre booze ban football in Scotland and it wasn't pretty and how booze is now sold in stadia in England and at rugby which is over priced, low percentage rubbish served at room temperature. At Murrayfield people constantly get up to refuel or toilet and this causes frustration with fans being inconvenienced having to move from their seat whilst the match goes on.

Wembley67
13-04-2017, 06:35 AM

Snob alert! Tennents isn't a bad pint at all, Peroni is marketed as a premium lager like Stella.... If Tennents was made in Papa New Guinea it would be seen as sheer class and sold at higher prices. When people go away on holiday and sample local lager they generally think its great, it's the same when friends come over here, the first thing they ask for in a pub is tennents.

Pretty Boy
13-04-2017, 07:03 AM
I like Tennents as well. There are better lagers out there of course but a well kept, cold pint of Tennents on a Friday after work is still something I look forward to.

I've told this story before but anyway...I was at a whisky tasting event one evening and the tasting was whisky barrel aged beers. First up was Innis & Gunn (which has spent as much time in a whisky barrel as a bottle of Smirnoff vodka). Everyone waxed lyrical about how amazing it was etc etc. Next up was Tennents Beer Aged with Whisky Oak (same process as I&G using oak chips as opposed to any actual barrel maturation). This was derided as 'rubbish', 'cheap tasting' and 'foul'. The next 4 beers were blind tested, the first 2 received mixed responses (they were Brooklyn Black Ops and Ola Dubh 18 by Harviestoun if you're interested). The 3rd beer was disliked intensely by almost everyone and the 4th was very well received and picked by about 75% of people present as their favourite of the night. The 3rd beer was then revealed as the same I&G that so many had 'loved' 40 minutes previously. The 4th was the very same Tennents that many had 'hated'.

It was an interesting insight into how marketing and perception influences peoples opinions. It was also interesting to see the pack mentality as there's no way all those same people didn't enjoy the Tennents 1st time round but they felt obliged to say they didn't like it as it was the 'correct' answer.

Scouse Hibee
13-04-2017, 07:28 AM

What poor substitute? Bottled Coca Cola is sold, they pour from bottle into a cup.

Since90+2
13-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Does anyone know how they get around this at Spartans? At Ainslie Park you can get a pint at half time in the bar / canteen behind the goals and you dont need to leave the confines of the ground to get there.

The Lowland League which Spartans play in is part of the SPFL and they are a fully licensed club with the SFA so not sure how its done.

SuperAllyMcleod
13-04-2017, 08:52 AM
What poor substitute? Bottled Coca Cola is sold, they pour from bottle into a cup.

Really, the last time I bought any it was that awful tap stuff that's never quite right! Oh well. You learn something new every day. [emoji4]

Lancs Harp
13-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Depends what level you're watching. I have had plenty beers in the stands at English football grounds.

Thats true. At non league grounds you can happily have a beer on the ground. League grounds is a different matter.

Lancs Harp
13-04-2017, 09:10 AM
I like Tennents as well. There are better lagers out there of course but a well kept, cold pint of Tennents on a Friday after work is still something I look forward to.

I've told this story before but anyway...I was at a whisky tasting event one evening and the tasting was whisky barrel aged beers. First up was Innis & Gunn (which has spent as much time in a whisky barrel as a bottle of Smirnoff vodka). Everyone waxed lyrical about how amazing it was etc etc. Next up was Tennents Beer Aged with Whisky Oak (same process as I&G using oak chips as opposed to any actual barrel maturation). This was derided as 'rubbish', 'cheap tasting' and 'foul'. The next 4 beers were blind tested, the first 2 received mixed responses (they were Brooklyn Black Ops and Ola Dubh 18 by Harviestoun if you're interested). The 3rd beer was disliked intensely by almost everyone and the 4th was very well received and picked by about 75% of people present as their favourite of the night. The 3rd beer was then revealed as the same I&G that so many had 'loved' 40 minutes previously. The 4th was the very same Tennents that many had 'hated'.

It was an interesting insight into how marketing and perception influences peoples opinions. It was also interesting to see the pack mentality as there's no way all those same people didn't enjoy the Tennents 1st time round but they felt obliged to say they didn't like it as it was the 'correct' answer.

Very true and clearly seen from a slightly different angle to your story. John Smiths smooth flow for instance, was excellent marketing for a particularly bad beer, chemically enhanced soap flavoured beer. Lasts a lot longer than ale in the barrel, easier to maintain, easier to brew, costs the brewery a lot less to produce (these are the real reasons they want people to drink it nothing to do with taste).
Stella is another piece of marketing genius, marketed here as a premium beer, "reassuringly expensive" etc etc. I worked for sometime in Belgium and I can assure it considered no such thing there at its source of origin, just a run of the mill beer.
Both products top class marketing, sales through the roof, job done. Its amazing despite how we like to be regarded as individualists still like things we are inadvertently told to like, often without even realising it.
Anyway I digress.

Eyrie
13-04-2017, 07:08 PM
I'm relaxed about alcohol being sold before a game as it's no different to having one in the pub before heading to the ground.

But I don't want alcohol being sold at half time. That will mean people wanting to leave at 40 minutes to beat the queue and others returning ten minutes into the second half, both groups disturbing those of us who actually want to watch the football and not have to stand up every thirty seconds because someone wants an overpriced low quality drink. And then there will be further disruption during the second half as they need to empty their bladders.

Greenworld
13-04-2017, 07:54 PM
No I'm there to watch the match had enough before and after

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Slavoj Zizek
13-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Alchohol at Scottish football grounds. LOL. Ain't gonna happen in any of our lifetimes. If you feel strongly about it write a letter to Ben Macpherson and see what happens... :rotflmao:

Haymaker
14-04-2017, 02:08 AM
Thats true. At non league grounds you can happily have a beer on the ground. League grounds is a different matter.

A beer?! :greengrin

cad
14-04-2017, 05:51 AM
To many bams spoil a beer for the adults , best wait till after the match

Sammy7nil
14-04-2017, 08:03 AM

I think it is sad but you are probably Correct

neil7908
14-04-2017, 08:07 AM

Spot on

Peevemor
14-04-2017, 08:34 AM
I like my beer and when I was in Edinburgh, my "matchday experience" always included going to the pub both pre and post match, but I honestly don't see the attraction or need for beers at the stadium (I'm not speaking about the likes of BTG).

I've tried it at the odd match I've been to in England - a rushed warmish lager in a plastic bottle in a cold concourse topped of by the faint odour of pish coming from the adjacent bogs? Nah - not for me!

It's also a mistake, IMO, to use other countries as an example. Take France - the majority of their matches are played on a Saturday night with KO at 8 or 9.00pm. In Scotland this would rightly raise concerns about the number of supporters arriving at the match blootered but in France (as well as other continental countries) it's much less of an issue. The UK has a pub culture (which I love) that simply doesn't exist in most other countries.

Slavoj Zizek
14-04-2017, 05:40 PM
Looks like Edinburgh class warfare is alive and well on this thread. #Meritocracy.