PDA

View Full Version : Alex Harris

Unseen work
09-04-2017, 05:14 PM
interesting interview with Lennon after the game yesterday regarding Alex.

Seems to be a fan and acknowledge that he has a lot of ability but for some reason has an issue showing it and that he will try discover why that is.

Quite surprised he came on yesterday even though it was only for 10 minutes or so.

Glad to see he has finally bulked up too.

hibsbollah
09-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Hope he stays.

CMurdoch
09-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Hope he stays.

They should give him a 1 year contract.
A final chance.
Wouldn't cost much.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2017, 05:20 PM

Seems to be a fan and acknowledge that he has a lot of ability but for some reason has an issue showing it and that he will try discover why that is.

Quite surprised he came on yesterday even though it was only for 10 minutes or so.

He's been playing in the number 10 role in the development team, since he returned from injury. Looks far better there, believed he played this position as a youth, than as a winger

Lago
09-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Hope he stays.
Me to.

G B Young
09-04-2017, 05:35 PM

Seems to be the case for pretty much all the players under Lennon. Harris will hopefully benefit from it as for far too long he looked almost afraid of the physical side of the game.

Did he look interested yesterday or was there not enough time for him to do much?

Glory Lurker
09-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Did he look interested yesterday or was there not enough time for him to do much?

Both!

Unseen work
09-04-2017, 05:42 PM
Seems to be the case for pretty much all the players under Lennon. Harris will hopefully benefit from it as for far too long he looked almost afraid of the physical side of the game.

Not enough time tbf to him, we never really got the ball down and passed it or even on top at that stage of the game for him to do anything.

LithgaeHibby
09-04-2017, 05:47 PM
For me it was a curious sub yesterday. At a crucial point in the match I was sure that Keatings would come on. Last time Harris came on as a sub a few months ago he seemed utterly bereft of confidence. I would like to see him do well in a Hibs shirt again - but maybe the best time for him to show what he can do is in the games after we've crossed the line - not sure how many of those there will be though!

SanFranHibs
09-04-2017, 05:52 PM
For me it was a curious sub yesterday. At a crucial point in the match I was sure that Keatings would come on. Last time Harris came on as a sub a few months ago he seemed utterly bereft of confidence. I would like to see him do well in a Hibs shirt again - but maybe the best time for him to show what he can do is in the games after we've crossed the line - not sure how many of those there will be though!

I think the opposite is true. On a personal level you want to find out what someone can do when there is something on the line. Could it harm the team if he had a real 'stinker'? Perhaps.

calumhibee1
09-04-2017, 06:26 PM
Unless Harris somehow gets enough game time between now and the end of the season to show he will maybe offer something more than absolutely nout like he has offered for years now, then absolutely no way should he be given a new contract. I actually can't get my head round why anyone thinks he should be given one. :confused:

Big L
09-04-2017, 06:37 PM
It baffles me how a lad/player can lose form to the extent Alex has and for so long at that. If Lennon can get him back to where he was, which will be no mean feat, I for one would be really pleased and we will have a really good player back in the squad. He is only 22 so good luck Alex.

G B Young
09-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Unless Harris somehow gets enough game time between now and the end of the season to show he will maybe offer something more than absolutely nout like he has offered for years now, then absolutely no way should he be given a new contract. I actually can't get my head round why anyone thinks he should be given one. :confused:

As the OP mentions, Lennon is a long-time admirer of Harris. I recall in the build-up to the 2013 Scottish Cup final when he was Celtic manager he'd been at a couple of our games and was interviewed about his thoughts on Hibs. He mentioned Harris as a player he thought was a very exciting prospect and he also picked him out again as one he was looking forward to working with when he was announced as Hibs manager. I agree, Harris has been given a lot longer than most players who fade from view would be given to prove himself but I imagine Lennon is hoping to give him a bit of game time before the end of the season to show he can rekindle the promise he showed.

Sir David Gray
09-04-2017, 07:17 PM
As the OP mentions, Lennon is a long-time admirer of Harris. I recall in the build-up to the 2013 Scottish Cup final when he was Celtic manager he'd been at a couple of our games and was interviewed about his thoughts on Hibs. He mentioned Harris as a player he thought was a very exciting prospect and he also picked him out again as one he was looking forward to working with when he was announced as Hibs manager. I agree, Harris has been given a lot longer than most players who fade from view would be given to prove himself but I imagine Lennon is hoping to give him a bit of game time before the end of the season to show he can rekindle the promise he showed.

That was four years ago and was pretty much the last time that Harris did anything of any note in a Hibs shirt.

He was a very exciting prospect for the first few months after he broke through into the first team but has done nothing since then to justify a new contract.

I would hope that Lennon is looking to bring in much better players for next season.

we are hibs
09-04-2017, 07:35 PM

This. He's done nothing to merit a new contract based on his championship career at hibs so why would we give him a new deal moving up into the top flight?

ACLeith
09-04-2017, 07:36 PM
That was four years ago and was pretty much the last time that Harris did anything of any note in a Hibs shirt.

He was a very exciting prospect for the first few months after he broke through into the first team but has done nothing since then to justify a new contract.

I would hope that Lennon is looking to bring in much better players for next season.

He got that bad injury but other players have recovered from worse - Darren from 2 cruciates.

Puddocky
09-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Is it possible NL is thinking of giving Harris a run-out in the semi-final? Some game time yesterday, maybe a bit more (against his last-year's teammates) next weekend, then see if Hampden, scene of his finest moment, inspires him to finally spark back into life.....:wink:

calumhibee1
09-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Is it possible NL is thinking of giving Harris a run-out in the semi-final? Some game time yesterday, maybe a bit more (against his last-year's teammates) next weekend, then see if Hampden, scene of his finest moment, inspires him to finally spark back into life.....:wink:

I bloody hope not. Alan O'Brien offered more than Alex Harris.

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2017, 08:02 PM

I agree, we can't hang on to everyone who might recapture form from years ago. There are players in the youth set up that will be coming through, and will be wanting their chances too.

edwards
09-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Baffled by this young man thought we found a diamond but if Lennon feels he is worth another year how long was it before Lewis Stevenson got himself a regular spot.

Deansy
09-04-2017, 08:10 PM

When Harris first broke into the 1st team, he was THE most exciting prospect in a Hibs-jersey for years - on those performancs alone, I'd give him every chance possible ! If he could get his confidence back and start taking on players again he'll be invaluable to Hibs !

Sir David Gray
09-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Baffled by this young man thought we found a diamond but if Lennon feels he is worth another year how long was it before Lewis Stevenson got himself a regular spot.

Lewis Stevenson had played around 100 games for Hibs by the time he was Harris' age.

Harris has played about half that number.

Not In The Know
09-04-2017, 08:30 PM
This. He's done nothing to merit a new contract based on his championship career at hibs so why would we give him a new deal moving up into the top flight?

or when he was at QOS.

Ozyhibby
09-04-2017, 08:51 PM
This thread is crazy. There is zero chance Harris is getting a new contract. The reason he got game time on sat is the manager is desperate about our failure to create in the final third. It was what the Americans call a Hail Mary pass. He will be gone in the summer and good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wookie70
09-04-2017, 09:01 PM
Lennon spoke highly of Alex in the Hibs TV interview but did make it clear he had to do more when he got his chances. I really hope he gets a few games before the end of the season. There is definitely a player in there and it is in a position either wide or number 10 that we desperately need. He has had a few chances, generally in poor Hibs teams, but he is quickly running out of time to get a new deal at Hibs. I hope he gets the chance and takes it.

Forza Fred
10-04-2017, 12:10 AM
Approaching a time when we will be stretching our budget to acquire players capable of helping us fight our way up the Premier League table, I'm not sure we can afford to invest a wage in a player who has had not just several chances, but several years to show he is worthy of a contract, and IMHO, has failed to do so.

When he hit the scenes in 2013 he got some publicity, but injuries, Butcher allegedly, and who knows what else appear to have conspired to send his career south.

Alex may well be able to continue to make a decent living as a professional footballer, but he's had enough time at Hibs without convincing me that he is someone who is going to improve our first team.

Time for him, and Hibs to move on.

Football is a harsh business, but it's not in the club's best interests to keep him on the payroll.

Unseen work
10-04-2017, 01:27 AM
The fact he has been at hibs for the best part of 4 years and has played about 5 good games for us in his opening couple of appearances says it all imo. Going by his player stats online he has only started 20 games for us.

Yes he suffered a bad injury, a broken ankle? It's not the worst and it's part and parcel of football.

These rumours about Butcher? What did he do? Give him abuse now and again. You get on with some managers and you don't with others in every walk of life. To blame butcher for him not being able to play well upto 4 years later is ridiculous.

When he did break through I was very excited, he had pace, composure, trickery and his final ball seemed very good for his age.

I don't know what has went wrong for him, is it a mental thing? Does he not apply himself well enough or have an attitude?

I have no idea.

I would love to see him kick on and rediscover the form he once showed. However unless he pulls some very impressive performances out the bag from now to the end of the season we can't afford to keep him.

If we did keep him what sort of signal would that be sending?

We haven't been at our best this season despite being top, Harris has barely played in this team. Imo we need to strengthen a lot in the summer, mainly in the positions Alex operates in, so for me I can't see him staying.

I would love to be proven wrong as like I said I really liked him, but there comes a time where you need to part your ways.

Scouse Hibee
10-04-2017, 06:21 AM
Exciting prospects, the potential to be a great player. There are hundreds or even thousands of players that are given that tag as they break through to first teams, only a very few ever go on to fulfill that potential.Sadly it appears that Harris is not one of them.

hibsbollah
10-04-2017, 06:40 AM
If we did keep him what sort of signal would that be sending?

That the coaching staff think there is still something there?

The Spaceman
10-04-2017, 06:50 AM
What would the professionals who train him know eh :rolleyes:

bigwheel
10-04-2017, 06:50 AM
it's time for Harris to move on. he has never found a way to hit the standards required of him here. I hope he does find it in the future - but 5+ years is more than enough time to invest in his development. We can't afford to wait for him any longer.

Johnny_Leith
10-04-2017, 07:08 AM
Player in there somewhere, whether he shows it at Hibs or not is the question

Pete
10-04-2017, 07:19 AM
This #10 thing sounds interesting but I can't see it. Maybe it's because I've not seen an effective Harris for so long.

Let's see what we have. It might not be the player we once recognised but what do we lose by giving the man a chance?

Wilson
10-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Let's see what we have. It might not be the player we once recognised but what do we lose by giving the man a chance?

It depends. Perhaps keeping him around is robbing a prospect, that doesn't have his baggage, of a place in the squad. We can't keep waiting for Harris to come good and give opportunities to Shaw, Porteous, Crane, and the likes.

Also, we need a vastly stronger first team squad to go from a team that draws every week in the championship to one that is in the top three or four in the Premiership. How much scope has Lennon got to get players in? If there is money there then I don't see where Harris is going to fit in. If there us no money and our hopes rest on Harris coming good then god help us.

I feel there are tough decisions coming but cutting Harris is probably one of the easier ones. He just hasn't done enough in his time here.

tamig
10-04-2017, 09:34 AM
These rumours about Butcher? What did he do? Give him abuse now and again. You get on with some managers and you don't with others in every walk of life. To blame butcher for him not being able to play well upto 4 years later is ridiculous.

I seem.to recall Harris was returning to fitness after his bad injury when Butcher's nightmare run just after the new year was gaining momentum. I remember him saying he wouldn't be rushing Harris back. He was on the bench and brought on in the next game! For me he was nowhere near ready to return but Butcher's desperation for a result ended up with him throwing the boy under a bus. That's how I remember it.

calumhibee1
10-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Player in there somewhere, whether he shows it at Hibs or not is the question

I think that question was answered a long long time ago now.

Winston Ingram
10-04-2017, 12:17 PM
I think his career has been knackered by the 2013-14 season. Broke his leg in the opening game and when he returned to the team at the turn of the year was understandably scared of putting his foot in. On top of that the treatment he received from the then management team was more brutal than the tackle and his confidence just plummeted. Since then his injury problems have continued, his managers haven't really shown any faith in him and when he has got on the pitch, a number of our 'supporters' have felt the need to give him dogs abuse.

SerenityGreen
10-04-2017, 12:42 PM
I've seen "wee" Alex in the gym I go to numerous times doing extra training in an effort to bulk up, not an all too easy task for a skinny laddie but he is looking a lot better. Helluva nice guy to chat to as well, I hope for his sake he can still progress in the game although I too am still not convinced it may be at Hibs. He apparently was really enjoying his loan spell at QoS, presumably as he was playing more regularly and maybe not under the same sort of pressure Hope he sticks in.

Deansy
10-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Think the fact that there's been several threads about a player whose only played a handful of games for Hibs speaks volumes -the majority of fans saw something special about him. Running at defences he was an absolute joy to behold - if he could just get his confidence back .................

Borderhibbie76
10-04-2017, 01:23 PM
To be fair to him he was lively when he came on and Boyle was having a stinker so right sub for me..shoulda been 15 or so mins earlier

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Andy74
10-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Think the fact that there's been several threads about a player whose only played a handful of games for Hibs speaks volumes -the majority of fans saw something special about him. Running at defences he was an absolute joy to behold - if he could just get his confidence back .................

Either that or there was a bit of an overreaction to his initial performances and we are sitting here arguing about when and in what circumstances they will return when in reality that ability was never really there to lose?

I think he probably does have a bit of technical ability but he doesn't have the right mentality to be a big success. I'm not talking effort but the edge to blank things out and go and perform. I think he is probably a quiet, nice lad and needs a bit of nastiness or arrogance thrown in.

He could probably perform a bit better in a team with less expectation and less fans to play in front of.

Also, for someone who seems to have played rugby as a kid I'm always surprised at his dislike of any sort of challenge.

sleeping giant
10-04-2017, 01:30 PM
How long do we wait on him ?

I liked him and thought he was a tremendous talent but I don't think he is going to make an impact at Hibs now.
Is it 4 years since he had a great game against Falkirk?

Smartie
10-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Either that or there was a bit of an overreaction to his initial performances and we are sitting here arguing about when and in what circumstances they will return when in reality that ability was never really there to lose?

I think he probably does have a bit of technical ability but he doesn't have the right mentality to be a big success. I'm not talking effort but the edge to blank things out and go and perform. I think he is probably a quiet, nice lad and needs a bit of nastiness or arrogance thrown in.

He could probably perform a bit better in a team with less expectation and less fans to play in front of.

Also, for someone who seems to have played rugby as a kid I'm always surprised at his dislike of any sort of challenge.

I think this is the key.

He's not had many chances over the past few years, but the ones he's had have generally been cameos for the last 15 minutes of games at Easter Road when we've been chasing games. He's been crucified as soon as he's set a foot wrong. Apparently he did fine on loan at Dundee and he seemingly did well at Queens.

I thought it was a good move from Lennon to give him a run on Saturday. It wasn't entirely pressure-free as we still have a lot to play for, but there's a difference between a couple of thousand Hits fans at Greenock and an expectant Easter Road. By playing him, it was a vote of confidence from Lennon that he is willing to play him in games that matter, rather than waiting until we have some meaningless games to see if he can manage anything.

We've given enough opportunities to other players who haven't taken them. Harris hasn't really been given that much of an opportunity, for various reasons.

I'd like to see him get a few games so we can make our minds up once and for all.

I liked what I saw the other day. He'd clearly bulked up, he went for a couple of runs and ran about looking interested.

There aren't many other players staking a claim for a place in the final third right now.

Unseen work
10-04-2017, 03:41 PM
https://youtu.be/GoPds4gItpU

Someone should show him the above clips of him.

JDHibs
10-04-2017, 03:52 PM

Pace, directness, width, composure and willingness to take the ball and take someone on to the byline and more importantly, put in a decent cross!

Things we have badly missed!! The laddie should sit and watch these clips to remind himself he has the ability! IF we get this Harris when he plays, be happy for him to stay!

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Did I imagine that we loaned him to Dundee for a while? Can't remember how he got on there if we did.

Stevie Reid
10-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Did I imagine that we loaned him to Dundee for a while? Can't remember how he got on there if we did.

We did. He did alright IIRC. Think he was pretty good for QOTS on loan too.

Will happily go with whatever the coaching staff decide, but I'd be surprised if he remains here. Shame as he was a genuinely exciting talent when he first broke through.

Deansy
10-04-2017, 04:10 PM

Cheers for that, Mate - as I've said 'running at defences he was an absolute joy to behold !'

Hibbyradge
10-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Trying to sell him.

houstonhibbee
10-04-2017, 04:17 PM
at the same time we initially got Boyle on loan from Dundee

heidtheba
10-04-2017, 04:35 PM
The boy clearly had skill and I don't think you can lose that.

In terms of playing him maybe there's some simple psychology here, if he's bereft of confidence and is struggling with that, having him have to perform in ten mins as a sub is going to heap pressure on him. Perhaps simply saying 'you're going to do x games as a sub' regardless of performance might (just might) let him relax during that game time and just make the most of his time on the pitch as a result. Some players need a spur, others might need a helping hand. It's the manager's job to work out who needs which.

Also, there's clearly a big carrot here for Lennon too...could HE be the manager that can bring lacking-in-confidence players back onto their A-game? Might bode well for Harris and could send out a signal to other players and might even just be a personal challenge to a manager's ego...

Ok I'm possibly seriously over-thinking this but there's a kernel of truth in this I'd say.

wookie70
10-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Lennon hinted at trying to get to the bottom of Alex's issues playing in the first team. I really hope he succeeds in getting Harris back to the player that we saw a few years ago. Getting a wee cameo experience is a start and I hope we can get the league wrapped up and Alex can get a good run out in the last few games. He was one of our best players in the friendly games but hardly got a sniff when the season started and since then.

Deansy
10-04-2017, 05:16 PM
The boy clearly had skill and I don't think you can lose that.

In terms of playing him maybe there's some simple psychology here, if he's bereft of confidence and is struggling with that, having him have to perform in ten mins as a sub is going to heap pressure on him. Perhaps simply saying 'you're going to do x games as a sub' regardless of performance might (just might) let him relax during that game time and just make the most of his time on the pitch as a result. Some players need a spur, others might need a helping hand. It's the manager's job to work out who needs which.

Also, there's clearly a big carrot here for Lennon too...could HE be the manager that can bring lacking-in-confidence players back onto their A-game? Might bode well for Harris and could send out a signal to other players and might even just be a personal challenge to a manager's ego...

Ok I'm possibly seriously over-thinking this but there's a kernel of truth in this I'd say.

No, I'd agree with you, I think/hope 'simple psychology' will sort him out !

lord bunberry
10-04-2017, 06:46 PM

I agree with a lot of that, but I do think the ability was there. What he needs to do is get stuck in about things when he gets his next chance. His career is at a crossroads and he doesn't want it to end the way it currently is.

J-C
10-04-2017, 07:53 PM

I questioned at the time of his break through that I'd never heard of him except from a couple of development reports, so I didn't know what his actual ability was or could be.

Was it maybe just youthful exuberance with a touch of talent and the fact he was a total unknown to everyone then, or did he really actually have the ability and potential everyone thought he might have.

There was also talk of him not having the drive and ambition to succeed as a top pro, he was privately educated at Edinburgh Academy and maybe his mindset isn't strong enough for football, not actually knowing the lad I can't comment on this but it was discussed at length on here.

His mentality has been questioned quite a lot on here from time to time, someone mentioned he was enjoying playing at QOS, maybe because of less pressure on him to be this new wonderkid.

Do we still persist with the lad or decide it's now time to cut the strings and let him go, I think his time has come and let him try elsewhere with our thanks, he's not a young lad anymore but 22 and should be playing regularly.

Big L
10-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Lennon thinks their is a player in there somewhere and he obviously wants to find out why Harris is'nt showing it. The lads bulked up a bit and they are going to try him in a new position. Let's see if he gets game time and lets see how he does, decisions will no doubt be made at the end of the season based on how he does. If Lennon thinks it's worth a try then who are we to argue!

calumhibee1
10-04-2017, 08:13 PM

Agree with your second paragraph. Part of the reason Jason Cummings is such an outstanding player is his arrogance. Yes, it leads to him chipping penalties in cup semi finals etc but on the whole, his arrogance is a massive part of his game. He could miss an open goal, put a cross into the stand, fall over the ball while dribbling and he'd still be running about thinking he's unplayable and that the next chance he gets he's going to tuck it away. The minute Harris takes one bad touch or gets tackled he goes right into his shell. That's one of the biggest differences between JC and Harris and Stanton. Although JC is also a better footballer to be fair.

Winston Ingram
10-04-2017, 09:07 PM
We did. He did alright IIRC. Think he was pretty good for QOTS on loan too.

Will happily go with whatever the coaching staff decide, but I'd be surprised if he remains here. Shame as he was a genuinely exciting talent when he first broke through.

He was the 2nd highest assist maker in the league last year with 9. He only played 22 games due to injury

Hibee Mac
10-04-2017, 10:06 PM
See looking at that video of him, what happened?

If he could play like that even in glimpses for us he'd be well worth keeping.

cmcd
10-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Agree with your second paragraph. Part of the reason Jason Cummings is such an outstanding player is his arrogance. Yes, it leads to him chipping penalties in cup semi finals etc but on the whole, his arrogance is a massive part of his game. He could miss an open goal, put a cross into the stand, fall over the ball while dribbling and he'd still be running about thinking he's unplayable and that the next chance he gets he's going to tuck it away. The minute Harris takes one bad touch or gets tackled he goes right into his shell. That's one of the biggest differences between JC and Harris and Stanton. Although JC is also a better footballer to be fair.

I have said this many times and will say it again Cummings is not a great player he is a goal scorer Full stop

HoboHarry
11-04-2017, 04:47 AM

In spite of the plethora of daft comments to be found on Hibs.net this just about tops the lot. You are implying with that question that it might be the case that Alex Harris is not interested enough to try a leg which in turns implies that despite having a bad attitude, Neil Lennon picked him anyway. Seriously? Get a grip man and give, at a minimum, two seconds thought to your post before you shove it down our collective throats. Jesus wept.......

calumhibee1
11-04-2017, 08:53 AM
I have said this many times and will say it again Cummings is not a great player he is a goal scorer Full stop

Scoring goals is the most important and difficult aspect of football and he's great at scoring them. Makes him a great football player (relative to the level we are playing at of course).

calumhibee1
11-04-2017, 08:55 AM
In spite of the plethora of daft comments to be found on Hibs.net this just about tops the lot. You are implying with that question that it might be the case that Alex Harris is not interested enough to try a leg which in turns implies that despite having a bad attitude, Neil Lennon picked him anyway. Seriously? Get a grip man and give, at a minimum, two seconds thought to your post before you shove it down our collective throats. Jesus wept.......

I don't there was anything wrong with his statement. I've watched Harris play for Hibs numerous times over the last 2 or 3 years and look like he has no interest in getting involved, so the question "did he look interested" is a very relevant one in my eyes.

cleanyman
11-04-2017, 08:56 AM
He ran about for a bit

He should be gone at the end of the season

houstonhibbee
11-04-2017, 11:33 PM
wouldn't be surprised if he starts on Saturday........

The Harp Awakes
11-04-2017, 11:44 PM

The difference in those clips is that Alex wants the ball, and had the confidence to do great things whe he got it.

Since his injury v Motherwell, every time I have seen him he hides. Must be a confidence thing. Would love to see the lad turn things around as he has undoubted ability.

Jamesie
12-04-2017, 10:05 AM
he was privately educated at Edinburgh Academy and maybe his mindset isn't strong enough for football, not actually knowing the lad I can't comment on this but it was discussed at length on here.

Not sure if that can really be considered a serious factor - an Edinburgh private education didn't do Alan Gordon any harm - nor did a Dublin private education hinder Anthony Stokes' performances on the field.

Big L
12-04-2017, 10:16 AM
wouldn't be surprised if he starts on Saturday........

I hope he does play on Sat. I hope he plays in the 10 role and plays a blinder!

JDHibs
12-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Hope its him on the left and Humphreys on the right.

2 wingers who will attack, be direct and get a decent cross in.

houstonhibbee
12-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Don't think Humphrey is match fit yet

J-C
12-04-2017, 11:02 AM

If Harris plays on the left, he'll cut inside onto his right so the width you want will not be there, you need a left footer to get the width.

J-C
12-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Not sure if that can really be considered a serious factor - an Edinburgh private education didn't do Alan Gordon any harm - nor did a Dublin private education hinder Anthony Stokes' performances on the field.

I never said it did, it was well discussed on here a couple of years ago, just another factor that may be a reason, there's been a lot of posters who have mentioned that he may not have the mentality to get to the top in football, just trying to work out how he ticks and what drives him.

Golden Bear
12-04-2017, 11:07 AM
If Harris plays on the left, he'll cut inside onto his right so the width you want will not be there, you need a left footer to get the width.

Well said.

It's one of my big hates when wingers are used on the wrong side of the pitch to the position that they're accustomed to playing.

houstonhibbee
12-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Well said.

It's one of my big hates when wingers are used on the wrong side of the pitch to the position that they're accustomed to playing.
Seemed to do ok providing width on the left v falkirk in scsf

Golden Bear
12-04-2017, 11:11 AM

:agree:

I often wonder where the "not hard enough because he went to a private school " argument fits in with Rugby Union players.

Brightside
12-04-2017, 11:12 AM

One game. FWIW i like the idea of him in the no.10 role. Its something we have been missing hugely for along time. All our midfielders tend to play deep.

Golden Bear
12-04-2017, 11:13 AM

He did that day but I was talking in general terms, we've all seen too many full backs/wingers having nightmare performances because they're playing on the wrong side of the pitch.

JDHibs
12-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Get what you are saying, however, atleast he will stay wide without the ball, opening the pitch up, Shinnie and McGeouch naturally drift inside and leaves us with no one in front of LS. Which gives us the width, then LS can overlap and cross or Harris can cut in.

Players cutting inside isnt a bad thing near the 18 yard box, he played out of the left against St Mirren earlier in the season and scored.

J-C
12-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Get what you are saying, however, atleast he will stay wide without the ball, opening the pitch up, Shinnie and McGeouch naturally drift inside and leaves us with no one in front of LS. Which gives us the width, then LS can overlap and cross or Harris can cut in.

Players cutting inside isnt a bad thing near the 18 yard box, he played out of the left against St Mirren earlier in the season and scored.

I don't mind right footers on the left, Boyle has played ok there at times, it was more the going down the wing, beating the FB and whipping in crosses, it won't happen if he cuts in.

lucky
12-04-2017, 11:54 AM
He's had 4 years to prove himself and hasn't manage to force his way into the team. I'll be surprised if he's given another year. In fact if he's given a new contract it will be up there with Stubbs giving Handling a 4 year deal

Peevemor
12-04-2017, 12:13 PM
He's had 4 years to prove himself and hasn't manage to force his way into the team. I'll be surprised if he's given another year. In fact if he's given a new contract it will be up there with Stubbs giving Handling a 4 year deal

Hardly!

I think Harris will be given a chance over the next few weeks to prove that he's worth another year. Lennon seems to believe that the potential is there.

hibsbollah
12-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Well said.

One of my pet football pet hates is exactly the opposite to that, the inability of some fans to realise that a left winger cutting inside onto his right or vice versa is a big weapon for a team to have, and some of the world's best players operate on their 'wrong' side. (The Ronaldo 'chop', anyone?) It doesn't necessarily lose you width either, because the player can then cut back out or pass back out to an attacker further upfield. In an ideal world of course, we'd all be able to play equally well off both feet :greengrin

Winston Ingram
12-04-2017, 01:46 PM

Cummings is nowhere near as good a footballer as Harris. He's scores goals and he's now added the ability to put a decent ball into the box. The rest of his game is absolutely miles off.

JDHibs
12-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Well said.

I know, that Arjen Robben laddie has been crap at it for years.

OH no, its what hes known for, cutting in from the right and smashing it with his left.

Works with some, doesnt for others, players need to be flexible. Be better playing a right footed winger on the left, rather than 2 right footed central mids on the left like we have done recently in Shinnie and McGeouch. Neither of whom have an ouch of pace.

Johnny_Leith
12-04-2017, 02:12 PM
A good winger can cut inside and go down the line, keep your defender guessing.

Chip shop Joe
12-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Being a good footballer is all relative to actually being effective you can have all the skill in the world but be of no use to anyone.

Remember wee Jamie McCluskey a good few years ago was brilliant on the ball and could beat a man no problem but unfortunately was too small and lightweight to be effective.

Cummings is 100 times as effective as Harris and to be honest in terms of footballing ability there is not a lot in it. Harris has more pace but not particularly tricky. Cummings has goals, composure and strength( at least relative to Harris).

J-C
12-04-2017, 02:52 PM

One of my pet football pet hates is exactly the opposite to that, the inability of some fans to realise that a left winger cutting inside onto his right or vice versa is a big weapon for a team to have, and some of the world's best players operate on their 'wrong' side. (The Ronaldo 'chop', anyone?) It doesn't necessarily lose you width either, because the player can then cut back out or pass back out to an attacker further upfield. In an ideal world of course, we'd all be able to play equally well off both feet :greengrin

This was the post I replied to, JDHibs wanted 2 wingers to attack and get crosses in, I pointed out that Harris on the left will naturally cut in and won't get many crosses in. In your scenario Harris cuts inside and then makes space for Stevenson the wingback and we all know Lewis's crosses are hit and miss. :greengrin

Boyle played very well coming off the left as an inside forward but he is a bit predictable.

cmcd
12-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Scoring goals is the most important and difficult aspect of football and he's great at scoring them. Makes him a great football player (relative to the level we are playing at of course).

Perhaps I have been spoiled by players of the past

Liam89
12-04-2017, 03:24 PM

What a load of pish.

hibsbollah
12-04-2017, 04:16 PM
This was the post I replied to, JDHibs wanted 2 wingers to attack and get crosses in, I pointed out that Harris on the left will naturally cut in and won't get many crosses in. In your scenario Harris cuts inside and then makes space for Stevenson the wingback and we all know Lewis's crosses are hit and miss. :greengrin

Boyle played very well coming off the left as an inside forward but he is a bit predictable.

...in which case Lewis is to blame for our lack of width in that scenario. #alwaysblameweelewie. If this was a computer game I'd play Harris as one of the wide strikers in a 433.

Unseen work
12-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Cummings is nowhere near as good a footballer as Harris. He's scores goals and he's now added the ability to put a decent ball into the box. The rest of his game is absolutely miles off.

Hahahahahaha away you go, absolutely ridiculous.

"Cummings is nowhere near as good a footballer as Harris"

That is up there with the best.

Peevemor
12-04-2017, 05:26 PM
...in which case Lewis is to blame for our lack of width in that scenario. #alwaysblameweelewie. If this was a computer game I'd play Harris as one of the wide strikers in a 433.
That's OK.

cmcd
12-04-2017, 05:35 PM
What a load of pish.

Explain please

bigwheel
12-04-2017, 06:22 PM
Explain please

i don't think he needs to explain mate....your comment deserved that response

calumhibee1
12-04-2017, 06:26 PM

I really don't even know what to say to that. One of them is worth millions of pounds, is a better passer, finisher, dribbler and crosser, yet he's not a better footballer? 🤦🏼*♂️

Winston Ingram
12-04-2017, 07:02 PM
I really don't even know what to say to that. One of them is worth millions of pounds, is a better passer, finisher, dribbler and crosser, yet he's not a better footballer? 🤦🏼*♂️

I'll give you finisher, but none of the rest.

bigwheel
12-04-2017, 07:06 PM

How about .."one of them gets a game" ....

Winston Ingram
12-04-2017, 07:07 PM
How about .."one of them gets a game" ....

Great. Marciano gets a game an aw.:rolleyes:

J-C
12-04-2017, 07:08 PM

Sell both now and see which one gets signed by a top team, my money is on Cummings.

bigwheel
12-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Great. Marciano gets a game an aw.:rolleyes:

Which would be sort of interesting if you were comparing goalkeepers.

Suggesting Harris a better footballer" when he can barely get on our bench - and yet we've turned down a 1.8M bid for Cummings - and frankly ignoring those stats - the contribution level of Cummings compared to Harris is without doubt clear for everyone to see ...

I'd be delighted to see a Harris hit form again , but he has been anonymous in a Hibs jersey for 3 years - and yet you are suggesting he is better player than Cummings. It is as mad as alive read on here ...

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2017, 07:23 PM
I'm surprised anyone here can tell us how good Harris is, as he's not really kicked a ball in anger for the first team in 3 seasons, or is it even longer? :confused:

Winston Ingram
12-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Which would be sort of interesting if you were comparing goalkeepers.

Suggesting Harris a better footballer" when he can barely get on our bench - and yet we've turned down a 1.8M bid for Cummings - and frankly ignoring those stats - the contribution level of Cummings compared to Harris is without doubt clear for everyone to see ...

I'd be delighted to see a Harris hit form again , but he has been anonymous in a Hibs jersey for 3 years - and yet you are suggesting he is better player than Cummings. It is as mad as alive read on here ...

He has been anonymous as he's been either injured or out on loan.

It's all subjective but if you follow the criteria set by the poster, he's a better finisher and that's it.

I'm not disputing who's worth more. Clubs pay the top money for goals.

The failings in the rest of his game is means we have to play another striker with him and why with his goal record, he's still here.

3pm
12-04-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm surprised anyone here can tell us how good Harris is, as he's not really kicked a ball in anger for the first team in 3 seasons, or is it even longer? :confused:

Probably 4 years since he pissed over the Hertz at the PBS / played in the cup final v Celtic.

bigwheel
12-04-2017, 07:36 PM
He has been anonymous as he's been either injured or out on loan.

It's all subjective but if you follow the criteria set by the poster, he's a better finisher and that's it.

I'm not disputing who's worth more. Clubs pay the top money for goals.

The failings in the rest of his game is means we have to play another striker with him and why with his goal record, he's still here.

you can have a view in Harris skills - fair enough - I think your views on JCs footballing ability is wrong.

to suggest Cummings is still "here" as his a limited to only scoring goals is flawed in two ways

1 there are any number of clubs who would have him - one bid a lot of money for him

2 every club needs a Jason Cummings. Most spend their time trying to find one. We've hit him ..I can't recall us ever having one quite as natural as JC. Likely to be a long time again before we get another

We've had many Harris's. We've got a couple more of him just now (Boyle, Humphrey)

Winston Ingram
12-04-2017, 07:56 PM
you can have a view in Harris skills - fair enough - I think your views on JCs footballing ability is wrong.

to suggest Cummings is still "here" as his a limited to only scoring goals is flawed in two ways

1 there are any number of clubs who would have him - one bid a lot of money for him

2 every club needs a Jason Cummings. Most spend their time trying to find one. We've hit him ..I can't recall us ever having one quite as natural as JC. Likely to be a long time again before we get another

We've had many Harris's. We've got a couple more of him just now (Boyle, Humphrey)

I rate Cummings as goal scorer really highly. His bravado and cockyness are fantastic but I'm genuinely unsure of how far he can go.

He can't play up front on his own. He struggles badly with his back to goal and when he plays there and we play it forward to him 9 times out of 10 it comes back.

As a result he needs someone up there with him to protect the ball for him. The problem that gives him is that gives him is that hardly anyone these days play with a front 2.

Unseen work
12-04-2017, 08:55 PM
It really annoys me the lack of respect Jason Cummings gets from some fans.

We have a 21 year old striker who has scored over 20 goals 3 seasons in a row.

Won numerous awards for his performances.

Is subject of a lot of interest and we have already rejected a bid for 1.8 million.

In a team that struggles for goals he always seems to find away and is consistent on that front.

He signed a new 4 year deal last year, I'm guessing so that when he does leave we get a healthy fee.

Lennon described him as a 'superstar' last week and a lot of other players/ex players rate him.

Yet some of our very own fans seem to not like/rate him and seem to think a boy who was done the square root of f all is better than him?!

Jason is more than just a goal scorer, look at his goal last week and you will see that.

Smartie
12-04-2017, 09:02 PM
In defence of Cummings, for all his supposed failings, he's still playing every week, scoring regularly and improving. He's a lot better with his back to goal than he was a year ago. And when have we ever seen him play up front on his own and fail? He's never really been played that way, but he did a decent job with Boyle and Humphrey out wide against United in January.

If Harris had continued to improve as quickly as Cummings has then he'd have left Easter Road for a bigger club long ago. Instead, his career has stalled.

I still wouldn't write him off yet though.

Peevemor
12-04-2017, 09:03 PM

Riordan & Fletcher got the same from some on here.

cmcd
12-04-2017, 09:21 PM
i don't think he needs to explain mate....your comment deserved that response

In you're opinion and you are entitled to as am I. As I said before perhaps I have been spoiled by strikers I have watched in years gone by

calumhibee1
12-04-2017, 09:45 PM

We have a 21 year old striker who has scored over 20 goals 3 seasons in a row.

Won numerous awards for his performances.

Is subject of a lot of interest and we have already rejected a bid for 1.8 million.

In a team that struggles for goals he always seems to find away and is consistent on that front.

He signed a new 4 year deal last year, I'm guessing so that when he does leave we get a healthy fee.

Lennon described him as a 'superstar' last week and a lot of other players/ex players rate him.

Yet some of our very own fans seem to not like/rate him and seem to think a boy who was done the square root of f all is better than him?!

Jason is more than just a goal scorer, look at his goal last week and you will see that.

Agreed mate. He's a very decent footballer and I have no idea what folk who think he's nothing but goals are watching most weeks. The most valuable player in our team, bar none. We can get results without John McGinn, we could probably have even still won this league without John McGinn, even though he is a better footballer than JC. We would rarely win games with the current squad minus Cummings, never mind win the league.

MWHIBBIES
12-04-2017, 09:48 PM

First touch is the only thing I'd say Harris is better at. Cummings is a much better player.

Unseen work
12-04-2017, 09:51 PM
First touch is the only thing I'd say Harris is better at. Cummings is a much better player.

Even that I'm no sure about, your first touch is a lot harder when you have a 6 ft 2 centre half up your backside, Harris tends to get it on the wing in acres of space.

Sammy7nil
12-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Agreed mate. He's a very decent footballer and I have no idea what folk who think he's nothing but goals are watching most weeks. The most valuable player in our team, bar none. We can get results without John McGinn, we could probably have even still won this league without John McGinn, even though he is a better footballer than JC. We would rarely win games with the current squad minus Cummings, never mind win the league.

Got in to thisdebate late but what I think you are saying is JC is not the best footballer he may not even be in the top 3 but his contribution is the best?

I would agree with that however I do have doubts how far he can go in the game and if we recieve a similar bid to the £1.8 million I would take it.

calumhibee1
12-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Got in to thisdebate late but what I think you are saying is JC is not the best footballer he may not even be in the top 3 but his contribution is the best?

I would agree with that however I do have doubts how far he can go in the game and if we recieve a similar bid to the £1.8 million I would take it.

He's not the best footballer in our squad, no, but he's still a very decent footballer. His contribution for the last 3 seasons however has been an absolutely country mile ahead of anyone else in our squad. Not including Sir David in the Scottish Cup of course :greengrin