PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen centre halfs

H18 SFR
09-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Cummings and Boyle could run them ragged. Hopefully Lennon doesn't opt for Holt looking for a wrestling match, mobility or rather their lack of it is the key here.

BoomtownHibees
09-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Cummings and Boyle could run them ragged. Hopefully Lennon doesn't opt for Holt looking for a wrestling match, mobility or rather their lack of it is the key here.

That and stopping their wide men will be key to us getting a result

R'Albin
09-04-2017, 12:04 PM
I had a Sheep fan telling me recently that no Hibs player would get in their starting 11. For starters McGregor, Ambrose and Hanlon would stroll into that side.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Look at the amount of bad tackles the Aberdeen players are making high up in the The Rangers half. Shows how much confidence they have in their own defenders to cover up.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2017, 12:07 PM
I had a Sheep fan telling me recently that no Hibs player would get in their starting 11. For starters McGregor, Ambrose and Hanlon would stroll into that side.

Not sure about that, they've only lost 24 league goals this season, in a more competitive league than Hibs are in

TheMentalHibees
09-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Find that hard to believe as they were making enquiries about Hanlon at the tail end of last season.

3pm
09-04-2017, 12:17 PM

You can throw Cummings in as well.

Smartie
09-04-2017, 12:18 PM

If Humphrey is fit then the front 3 of Humphrey, Cummings and Boyle would be what I'd do against them. For all he didn't do a great deal, I thought Harris looked lively enough yesterday, and if Humphrey doesn't make it then I might even play him for his pace, mobility and ability to get back and support his full-back.

We'll need a strong, mobile 3 in the middle and as close to a first choice back 4 as we can manage.

It won't be a day for hoofball. I don't think Graham will be anywhere near good enough to make an impact against a team like Aberdeen (although I thought he had a decent first half yesterday) and if Holt were to play then he'd need to have his mind on the game. I don't think their centre-halves look like the type to be knocked about by Holt though.

R'Albin
09-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Not sure about that, they've only lost 24 league goals this season, in a more competitive league than Hibs are in

I had no idea they had conceded that few goals.

I still don't think I'd start any of theirs ahead of ours. Despite being against better sides they also have a better team than ours in midfield and up front - taking the pressure off of them a bit. We've been reliant on our defence being as good as they have.

number9dream
09-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Absolutely agree with those saying Holt & Graham are not the right options against the likes of giant Ash Taylor. But will Lennon, a disciple of long ball merchant Martin O'Neill see it that way?

Might be a day for three central defenders, if Hanlon is fit, with Gray and Stevenson taking care of Hayes & McGinn.

Heisenberg
09-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Their wide players will cause us the most trouble. Really need Stevenson and Gray especially to step their game up.

1van Sprou7e
09-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Their wide players will cause us the most trouble. Really need Stevenson and Gray especially to step their game up.

They've generally been reliable in the big games. Especially Gray who put an immense amount of energy and effort into some of our big games last season

Gmack7
09-04-2017, 01:08 PM
They're having a mare now

H18 SFR
09-04-2017, 01:10 PM
I benefit from a regular input from a Dons season ticket holder. He particularly worries about Ash Taylor. He is actually a bit of a cult hero because of his stupidity at times.

HibeeLR
09-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Play three CB's and Cummings and Keatings up top and we'll win the semi.

H18 SFR
09-04-2017, 01:12 PM
I've seen enough today, my expectations for the semi are now a tough game but a win for us.

Heisenberg
09-04-2017, 01:19 PM
They've had an absolute shocker in the last 15/20 minutes

Jones28
09-04-2017, 01:23 PM
The only side where John McGinn wouldn't be guaranteed a start is Celtic, he would stroll in to the rest of the teams in the premiership.

I would say start Keatings, Cummings and Boyle in a front 3 and run at them. Have McGinn and Bartley in midfield and play with hanlon, Efe and Daz as a back 3 with wing backs bombing on.

Stop Aberdeens wide men and you nullify them. The rangers tactics of dropping off and hitting on the break in the second half seem to have paid off if the goals on SSN are anything to go by.

H18 SFR
09-04-2017, 01:29 PM
The only side where John McGinn wouldn't be guaranteed a start is Celtic, he would stroll in to the rest of the teams in the premiership.

I would say start Keatings, Cummings and Boyle in a front 3 and run at them. Have McGinn and Bartley in midfield and play with hanlon, Efe and Daz as a back 3 with wing backs bombing on.

Stop Aberdeens wide men and you nullify them. The rangers tactics of dropping off and hitting on the break in the second half seem to have paid off if the goals on SSN are anything to go by.

The Rangers keeper played well but your general assessment is defo accurate.

WeeRussell
09-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Was just making the exact point myself that I can't believe they've kept so many clean sheets, as every time I see those centre halves I think they're rotten.

Unfortunately I'm fairly sure that Lennon will start holt in the semi, and they'll be given a relatively easy time dealing with long balls.

I remain not very confident about the semi but there's no pressure on us after last year, ready to enjoy the day and have a go at them! Here we go...

ancient hibee
09-04-2017, 01:35 PM

Aberdeen would slaughter that team.The midfield would be totally overrun and the last thing we want is wing backs bombing on and being caught upfield.

Marco G
09-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Today's result will have given their confidence a big dent. If Saints beat them in Perth next weekend they will go into the semi far less certain than they were before today. All good news for us.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

where'stheslope
09-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Watching that game today, gives me great belief that we can do them at Hampden.

The caution I have is the OP is on about the 2 centre halfs, 2 goals were scored after Aberdeen sacrificed 1 for a more attacking set up!

Also the one taken off O'Connor, in a normal Aberdeen game would have had 2 assists for his diagonal passes right to the feet of an Aberdeen player and on both occasions you would have expected a goal from both.

The chances are they will bounce back quickly from this drubbing, but not to quickly for me!!!!

1van Sprou7e
09-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Looking at their record in big games recently and it's not particularly impressive

They're still favourites and like someone else pointed out there should be absolutely no pressure on our lads. Reaching the semis and pumping the hearts out on the way is already a more-than-satisfactory defence of the cup for me.

But having said that we've got a really good chance of beating them imo :aok:

Billy Whizz
09-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Looking at their record in big games recently and it's not particularly impressive

They're still favourites and like someone else pointed out there should be absolutely no pressure on our lads. Reaching the semis and pumping the hearts out on the way is already a more-than-satisfactory defence of the cup for me.

But having said that we've got a really good chance of beating them imo :aok:
I'm more worried about our own form, we're hardly firing on all cylinders

1van Sprou7e
09-04-2017, 02:18 PM
I'm more worried about our own form, we're hardly firing on all cylinders

Our league form has been pretty shaky all season, it's in the big games that we play well.

Especially now that the league is all but over the players will find it hard to motivate themselves for championship games.

We'll put in a good performance no matter what happens IMO

BoomtownHibees
09-04-2017, 02:30 PM
A similar setup to the cup final would give us a chance IMO

JimBHibees
09-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Watching that game today, gives me great belief that we can do them at Hampden.

The caution I have is the OP is on about the 2 centre halfs, 2 goals were scored after Aberdeen sacrificed 1 for a more attacking set up!

Also the one taken off O'Connor, in a normal Aberdeen game would have had 2 assists for his diagonal passes right to the feet of an Aberdeen player and on both occasions you would have expected a goal from both.

The chances are they will bounce back quickly from this drubbing, but not to quickly for me!!!!

Only one was scored when they took off the centre half as OConnor messed up for second goal. Aberdeen passed the ball well but didn't create too much against a defence with 2 teenagers Tavernier and Wilson. As the game showed their centre halfs both have a mistake in them. We definitely have a chance that is for sure.

OxoHibby
09-04-2017, 02:43 PM
Our league form has been pretty shaky all season, it's in the big games that we play well.

Especially now that the league is all but over the players will find it hard to motivate themselves for championship games.

We'll put in a good performance no matter what happens IMO

I don't get that. With the league in touching distance the players should be totally motivated to get the job finished. If they did it could have been won by now

Sir David Gray
09-04-2017, 02:51 PM
I have a feeling we'll win the semi final. I have absolutely nothing to base that on as we're rubbish to watch at the moment and can hardly score more than one goal in a game.

However we need to play with a high tempo and we need to play with the ball on the ground. High balls up to the forwards just isn't going to cut it against Aberdeen.

I would play

Marciano

Stevenson
Hanlon (if fit) if not then Ambrose
McGregor
Gray

Bartley
McGinn
McGeouch
Fyvie
Humphrey (if fit) if not then Boyle

Cummings

SUBS

Laidlaw
McLean
Martin
Boyle (if Humphrey plays) if not then Harris
Shinnie
Keatings
Holt

we are hibs
09-04-2017, 02:52 PM
I'd line up with this, assuming players are back fit.:

marciano

gray
ambrose
mcgregor
hanlon
stevenson

mcginn
bartley
mcgeouch

Cummings
Holt

or

marciano

Ambrose
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Humphrey
McGeouch
Bartley
McGinn
Boyle

cummings

1van Sprou7e
09-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Not sure about playing Cummings up top by himself unless McGinn or McGeouch play as a dedicated #10

Brightside
09-04-2017, 04:09 PM

Indeed... their defence has been outstanding this season.

ancient hibee
09-04-2017, 05:06 PM
A proper four man defence with Ambrose in place of Gray because he crosses a nice ball.
Five in midfield including Shinnie just behind Cummings.
Boyle,Keatings and Humphreys ready to come on depending how the game develops.

Unseen work
09-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Unsure how we will approach this.

Wouldn't fancy us sitting in against them as they're quite a big team, get a lot of boys in the box and with excellent delivery from the wings.

I'd like to see us go

..................Marciano.......

..........Ambrose Mcgregor Hanlon.........

Gray.....Mcgeouch....Mcginn......Stevenson....

........................Shinnie.........

.............Boyle................Cummings

Jones28
09-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Aberdeen would slaughter that team.The midfield would be totally overrun and the last thing we want is wing backs bombing on and being caught upfield.

So then match them up man for man?

Dashing Bob S
09-04-2017, 06:37 PM

Key to the game. If we contain them, we probably win. If not...

Speedy
09-04-2017, 09:06 PM
I'd line up with this, assuming players are back fit.:

marciano

gray
ambrose
mcgregor
hanlon
stevenson

mcginn
bartley
mcgeouch