PDA

View Full Version : Kris Commons

eastcoasthibby
09-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Listening to the radio during the week and Kris Commons wife was on speaking about a topic, when she spoke about Kris only having a few more years left in football and that they were staying in Scotland making it their permanent home told their kids and family that they won't be heading back down south to Nottingham, that they love Scotland.
Question is where does Kris Commons sit in peoples thinking regards next season if that's his family situation set out ? And yes i know players can commute or take digs and live away from home, i just didn't get the feeling from the way she spoke that that was the lifestyle they wanted.

Ozyhibby
09-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Turns 34 at the start of next season so I would say no. He'll be wanting a two year deal as well. I would rather we went for a younger target now.
I wanted him this year in the championship but not next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMAXXA
09-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Turns 34 at the start of next season so I would say no. He'll be wanting a two year deal as well. I would rather we went for a younger target now.

You think he isn't good enough to play In the Scottish premiership?

Nevi_SOL
09-04-2017, 07:33 AM
If we had any chance. I'd 100% take him

Green_one
09-04-2017, 07:35 AM

If he is keen then why is he not playing for Hibs improving his fitness and showing his value. Marketing himself on name alone? I agree I think we need to avoid this option

RoscoHibby
09-04-2017, 07:41 AM
If we had any chance. I'd 100% take him

Defo this. He may be getting older but never had any real pace to lose. As we've seen give him the ball within 30yds, bang, goal.

Would still score for fun against most of the SPL.

Offer him a coaching role so it's us that enjoy the last couple of years of his career.

Big L
09-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Eternally grateful for the two goals and the six points they earned, but, until he hit that shot against the Falkirk wall with 5 minutes to go in the game, his overall play in the 3 previous games wasn't good enough for me. I think we could do better with the money. In saying that if Lennon's still here next season, I've no doubt Commons will join him.

Col2
09-04-2017, 10:00 AM
If Lennon is still our manager next season I would expect we would be he only club in Scotland he would go to.

I would take him 100%. Very talented player.

Sir David Gray
09-04-2017, 10:05 AM
If there's any chance of signing him next season we should take it.

He's a classy player who would add something to our squad.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Not drawing a direct comparison but what age did we get Sauzee?

scooby
09-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Goal scoring midfielder, what's not to like?

Billy Whizz
09-04-2017, 10:22 AM
I've never really heard the real reason why he didn't rejoin us in January, after his intial short loan

Dibben
09-04-2017, 10:23 AM

I'm sure Sauzee was 32 when he signed...

DarlingtonHibee
09-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Stating the obvious, but wages must be a problem.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2017, 10:32 AM

Said this on another thread last night but will ask again - how much is he likely to earning when he leaves Celtic?

Big L
09-04-2017, 10:34 AM
I've never really heard the real reason why he didn't rejoin us in January, after his intial short loan

I don't think we were ever told, but his £18K a week might have had something to do with it, or permutations of who's paying what share of it. He was told he could go,

09-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Would take him in a heartbeat! Very good player and definatly a signing we should be looking to persue. Just look at the impact he had in just a month or so he was with us.

Ryan69
09-04-2017, 11:04 AM

Sauzee was a completely different caliber of player.

Big L
09-04-2017, 11:05 AM
I think the biggest problem would be the wages, I don't see him playing for £2,000 a week and I don't think he's worth more than that to us!

hfc rd
09-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Would take him in a heartbeat! Very good player and definatly a signing we should be looking to persue. Just look at the impact he had in just a month or so he was with us.

Exactly this. If we have a chance of signing him then we should go for it.

GreenLake
09-04-2017, 11:13 AM

I suspect Peter Lawwell had something to do with this.

Heisenberg
09-04-2017, 11:13 AM
If they are staying in Scotland then he'll be signing for us, especially if Lennon is still in charge.

Vault Boy
09-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Would be very happy if we signed him. I think there's something being slightly overlooked though, Kris could sign for a team outside Scotland without having to move his family, Grant Holt has done something very similar this season. If he wants to stay with his family, then it only makes sense to sign for the Hibees of course.

The Green Goblin
09-04-2017, 11:38 AM
I would rather offer some more money to secure Liam Henderson.

Commons may have to make a hard choice and accept a lot less money in order to get those couple of years playing he's got left in him, whether that's with us or someone else.

TheMentalHibees
09-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Anybody that thinks Celtic will be carrying on this transfer relationship with us when we are in the same league as them is sadly mistaken.

Jim44
09-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Not our problem, his problem. Even with a big reduction in wages, there's probably not a Scottish club which can afford him.

Fuzzywuzzy
09-04-2017, 11:45 AM
As long as he's fit. Christ, totti, baressi and maldini were all better than all the players in this country when they were contemplating/hanging up boots. There's a guy in the j-league that's 50yo that's still banging them in. 50yo's are couch potatoes with a penchant for fried food and alcohol in this country (I generalise of course)

Ozyhibby
09-04-2017, 11:45 AM
You think he isn't good enough to play In the Scottish premiership?

Not at all, I think he is a fine player. I really wanted us to sign him last August and was hoping he would stay after January.
I think at best though he has only one season in him and maybe not a full one. I would prefer we looked at younger options. That said, if we get him then I think he could be ok.
I'm sitting on the fence basically. I like him but would rather go for younger if possible.

09-04-2017, 11:50 AM
I think the biggest problem would be the wages, I don't see him playing for £2,000 a week and I don't think he's worth more than that to us!

He's currently on £15k a week at celtic so yes a wage cut of £13k a week is pretty big but if he wants to stay in Scotland then he's going to have to accept that teams outside celtic simply cannot afford to match or even get near to that sort of money. Rangers would be the closest but I can't see him wanting to sign for them. Its a big cut but I mean £2k a week is still a very very good wage to be picking up, christ if someone offered me that i'd absolutely snap their hand off! I realise its all relative though and you grow accustomed to a certain type of lifestyle being on big money but if his family is settled and happy here and he wants to get 1st team football in the top league in this country then it seems a good enough agreement.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2017, 11:59 AM
As if the end of June he'll be on £0 per week.

How is it possible to take a wage cut given that fact?

hibee-boys
09-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Other than a lower end championship side taking him on he's zero chance of earning a wage anywhere near what he's on at celtic, certainly if he wants to play in scotland.

Captain Trips
09-04-2017, 09:28 PM
When Hibs are in a position and have a squad when the likes of Commons are not deemed good enough even at 34 we must have some team banging them in for fun.

Ozyhibby
09-04-2017, 09:43 PM
When Hibs are in a position and have a squad when the likes of Commons are not deemed good enough even at 34 we must have some team banging them in for fun.

Age is Important though. There comes a time when a player just no longer has 'it'.
I don't know if Commons is at that stage yet but it does mean that it is a gamble signing him. Like I said, I wanted him last season, now I'm not so sure.

Sir David Gray
09-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Age is Important though. There comes a time when a player just no longer has 'it'.
I don't know if Commons is at that stage yet but it does mean that it is a gamble signing him. Like I said, I wanted him last season, now I'm not so sure.

He certainly still had 'it' three and a half months ago.

If there's any chance that he would be interested in signing for us next season we should make every effort to make it happen.

He's definitely worth a 12 month contract.

silverhibee
09-04-2017, 10:08 PM
Said this on another thread last night but will ask again - how much is he likely to earning when he leaves Celtic?

AgentDaleCooper
09-04-2017, 10:30 PM
I'm sure Sauzee was 32 when he signed...

he signed in 1999, and was born in october 1965, so must have been at least 33, pushing 34.

BigT-Hibeez
09-04-2017, 10:40 PM
What about Ambrose?? Thoughts?

dmc1875
09-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Commons was injured in training in January when he went back to Celtic im sure Rodgers said? That is probably why we never pursued it for the rest of the season....

Regardless of him turning 34, if there was any chance for us to get him we would be stupid not to. Guaranteed goals and creativity from the midfield.

Oh and who says that if we take commons we came also go and get Hendo on a permanent deal? Both might be available

Lee Marvin
09-04-2017, 10:55 PM
Commons was injured in training in January when he went back to Celtic im sure Rodgers said? That is probably why we never pursued it for the rest of the season....

Regardless of him turning 34, if there was any chance for us to get him we would be stupid not to. Guaranteed goals and creativity from the midfield.

Oh and who says that if we take commons we came also go and get Hendo on a permanent deal? Both might be available

Can't see hendo having any future at celtic as I'm sure Rodgers will spend a fortune in summer.

wookie70
09-04-2017, 11:41 PM
Scored two vital goals but he didn't look like the Commons of old. Might have been the injury or perhaps he has lost his edge. Holt was a fabulous player who wasn't the quickest but looks like time caught up with him. I would rather we spent on a younger player

snooky
09-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Scored two vital goals but he didn't look like the Commons of old. Might have been the injury or perhaps he has lost his edge. Holt was a fabulous player who wasn't the quickest but looks like time caught up with him. I would rather we spent on a younger player

Sign Commons, throw in Kenny Miller and then change our name to Hipensioners FC? .......Naw.
I agree with the wookiemeister here.

Galahibby
10-04-2017, 01:08 AM

Sign Commons, throw in Kenny Miller and then change our name to Hipensioners FC? .......Naw.
I agree with the wookiemeister here.

Brian Graham is younger than both of them... I'd take them in order of oldest first if given the choice of who I think would score most goals for us though.

Unseen work
10-04-2017, 01:40 AM
I can't believe some folk regarding Commons.

Wether he played amazing or not in the 4 games are pretty irrelevant imo.

In 4 games he scored 2 goals and got at least 1 assist (vs Falkirk, unsure if there was more).

That rate is more than the majority of our team have this whole season never mind 4 games!

I have no doubt if he was still here we would be champions by now.

If we can afford him in the summer without breaking our necks we should sign him. He would be a terrific option to have, even if he doesn't start every game.

neil7908
10-04-2017, 03:52 AM
If Commons joins I certainly won't be unhappy but I do have big concerns about his age, how little football he's played recently and whether we should be prepared to push the boat out on wages to get him.

If he'll take £2k a week or whatever we pay then fine but I do see him now as a luxury player and not sure he'd be able to cope with the work rate required of him in big games against the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen, the Rangers and Celtic.

If he can fit into our wage structure and we don't have to break the bank to get him then great.

Danderhall Hibs
10-04-2017, 07:08 AM
I can't believe some folk regarding Commons.

Wether he played amazing or not in the 4 games are pretty irrelevant imo.

In 4 games he scored 2 goals and got at least 1 assist (vs Falkirk, unsure if there was more).

That rate is more than the majority of our team have this whole season never mind 4 games!

I have no doubt if he was still here we would be champions by now.

If we can afford him in the summer without breaking our necks we should sign him. He would be a terrific option to have, even if he doesn't start every game.

:agree: while he was here he turned 2 draws into wins for us, giving us a 6 point lead which we've barely added to since he left.

Johnny_Leith
10-04-2017, 07:08 AM
Age is just a number, would be delighted if we signed Commons

LancsHibs
10-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Age is just a number, would be delighted if we signed Commons

Yes and Kenny Miller

thommo1875
10-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Listening to the radio during the week and Kris Commons wife was on speaking about a topic, when she spoke about Kris only having a few more years left in football and that they were staying in Scotland making it their permanent home told their kids and family that they won't be heading back down south to Nottingham, that they love Scotland.
Question is where does Kris Commons sit in peoples thinking regards next season if that's his family situation set out ? And yes i know players can commute or take digs and live away from home, i just didn't get the feeling from the way she spoke that that was the lifestyle they wanted.

I would take him 100%. Scored some vital goals in his short time at the club. Brings bags of experience, wouldn't expect him to play every game. But would definitely benefit the younger players in the squad, and he gets Hibs!!

Andy74
10-04-2017, 09:51 AM
:agree: while he was here he turned 2 draws into wins for us, giving us a 6 point lead which we've barely added to since he left.

If he was still here we'd be about 15 points clear, pretty sure he would have helped turn a number of draws into wins, particularly as he would have been getting more match fit.

I'd be amazed if we could get him next year. Him being good enough for us is not seriously going to be part of whether we do or not!

Stevie Reid
10-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Can't possibly fathom why anyone would not want Commons to sign for Hibs.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-04-2017, 09:59 AM
If staying in Scotland is his main goal, and he wants to stay at one of the bigger clubs, then apart from ruling the obvious one out, that would leave us, Hearts and Aberdeen. Aberdeen would be ruled out for the distance. If money isn't the issue, and he wants a regular game for a top six club nearby, then Partick Thistle may be his best choice. If he wants to come to Hibs, I think that we will see him in our team.

snooky
10-04-2017, 10:28 AM
If staying in Scotland is his main goal, and he wants to stay at one of the bigger clubs, then apart from ruling the obvious one out, that would leave us, Hearts and Aberdeen. Aberdeen would be ruled out for the distance. If money isn't the issue, and he wants a regular game for a top six club nearby, then Partick Thistle may be his best choice. If he wants to come to Hibs, I think that we will see him in our team.

Fair analysis of the situation, NH.
Also, in our favour is the fact that he's been here already although, I suppose that depends on whether he got the buzz then or not.

DarlingtonHibee
10-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Fair analysis of the situation, NH.
Also, in our favour is the fact that he's been here already although, I suppose that depends on whether he got the buzz then or not.

If this guy is earning £1 million a year at Celtic, are we expecting him to earn 10% of that with us?

Speedway
10-04-2017, 02:59 PM
There's being old and there's being good at football.

Kris Commons is old but good at football

Brian Graham is young but less good at football

I don't want us to 'invest' in someone younger. I want Hibs to score more than the team we play in any given match. If we have players of Commons ability, we have a greater chance of this occurring than without players of Commons ability.

Simkin911
10-04-2017, 03:01 PM
I assume he is still carrying an injury as he was at Spire Murrayfield when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Vini1875
10-04-2017, 03:08 PM
If this guy is earning £1 million a year at Celtic, are we expecting him to earn 10% of that with us?

I think the big "if" is if he is staying in Scotland. I don't see anyone paying him more than £2k in Scotland. At this stage of his career he may be happy to play and not be overly worried about money as he plans the next stage of his career.

I would be happy to give Commons and Miller a contract knowing they won't play every week and give them the opportunity to coach/develop our younger players. I bet each of them would play more often than McGeouch and score more than Graham and Holt combined.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-04-2017, 03:40 PM

I don't "expect" him to do anything. But one thing is for sure, if you want to play in Scotland AND pick up 20K a week, there are only two options and effectively both of them are closed doors.

So now it is down to him and what it looks like, is that staying in Scotland is the goal.

Ozyhibby
10-04-2017, 04:08 PM
I think the big "if" is if he is staying in Scotland. I don't see anyone paying him more than £2k in Scotland. At this stage of his career he may be happy to play and not be overly worried about money as he plans the next stage of his career.

I would be happy to give Commons and Miller a contract knowing they won't play every week and give them the opportunity to coach/develop our younger players. I bet each of them would play more often than McGeouch and score more than Graham and Holt combined.

We are not a rich enough club to bring in players at the top of our wage structure who can't play every week.

scoopyboy
10-04-2017, 04:20 PM

Point is he won't be earning £1million a year at Celtic very shortly.

So then if he wants to stay in Scotland then I would say 10% of what he is earning now would be of the right ball park.

DarlingtonHibee
10-04-2017, 04:33 PM

So then if he wants to stay in Scotland then I would say 10% of what he is earning now would be of the right ball park.

Really?

GordonHFC
10-04-2017, 04:47 PM

He isn't going to be earning anything when he leaves Celtic.

IWasThere2016
10-04-2017, 07:14 PM

Really?

So Commons isn't going to work again unless he gets £1m a year??

He was offered a pay-off by Celtc but he was financially better off seeing out his contract. In full knowledge he won't see the same earnings or anything like it again if he chooses to play on.

DarlingtonHibee
10-04-2017, 07:20 PM
So Commons isn't going to work again unless he gets £1m a year??

He was offered a pay-off by Celtc but he was financially better off seeing out his contract. In full knowledge he won't see the same earnings or anything like it again if he chooses to play on.
I still doubt he will commit to us for £2k a week.

Fuzzywuzzy
10-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Theoretically he could stay in Scotland (assuming he lives in glasgow) and probably get more money at Carlisle than he could up here?

DarlingtonHibee
10-04-2017, 07:21 PM
Theoretically he could stay in Scotland (assuming he lives in glasgow) and probably get more money at Carlisle than he could up here?

Agreed