PDA

View Full Version : James Collins

1875STEVE
08-04-2017, 11:33 PM
I regulary buy 442 magazine.

They always do a "best players in England (outside EPL) feature every season.

James Collins is apprently in the top 75....................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleye s::rolleyes:

greenlex
08-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Chris Dagnal scored again for Crewe. Maybe it's s Hibs thing.

Diclonius
08-04-2017, 11:43 PM
Scored goals everywhere he's been since he left us.

You can understand why he looked bereft of confidence here considering Butcher allegedly called him "the worst ****in' striker I've ever seen."

Billychaotic182
08-04-2017, 11:43 PM
Matty Done is also meant to be alright down there

Vault Boy
08-04-2017, 11:45 PM
Just proves how crap English football is.

:greengrin

PiemanP
08-04-2017, 11:48 PM
Don't dwell on the past. He was absolutely pudding when he was here under both Fenlon and butcher and rightfully punted on.

Jim44
08-04-2017, 11:51 PM
I wonder if he was on a 'piss on the crowd' session at Aintree this afternoon. Waste of space.

monktonharp
09-04-2017, 12:13 AM
Sorry but I never saw him as a waste of space. He always looked hungry, in terms of looking for the ba' and never shirked challenges. he was very unlucky at times, and he was always having to go deep, in search of the ball . not what a striker should have to do. he sometimes ended up in the wrong position at the wrong time too.a trier, but it never went for him

DH1875
09-04-2017, 12:32 AM

How's Eoin Doyle doing these days???.

cheltenhamhibee
09-04-2017, 12:51 AM
Chris Dagnal scored again for Crewe. Maybe it's s Hibs thing.

He was jank against Cheltenham this season & Collins was as bad

Unseen work
09-04-2017, 02:51 AM
Sorry but I never saw him as a waste of space. He always looked hungry, in terms of looking for the ba' and never shirked challenges. he was very unlucky at times, and he was always having to go deep, in search of the ball . not what a striker should have to do. he sometimes ended up in the wrong position at the wrong time too.a trier, but it never went for him

Essentially he was a striker that never scored goals, useless

WeeRussell
09-04-2017, 02:55 AM

I don't doubt he tried about as hard as I would for hibs, unfortunately he showed about the same amount of ability as I would too.

iwasthere1972
09-04-2017, 03:07 AM

James Collins is apprently in the top 75....................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleye s::rolleyes:

Did less in a box in 40 days than David Blaine.

LaMotta
09-04-2017, 05:27 AM

You can understand why he looked bereft of confidence here considering Butcher allegedly called him "the worst ****in' striker I've ever seen."

The one thing Butcher was right about.

Awful control, no pace, poor link up play, zero composure and obviously a terrible goal scoring record.

His performances in the Tynecastle derbies that season were particularly brutal.

Hibby Bairn
09-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Did he score more than Holt? Graham? Keatings?

calumhibee1
09-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Looked like he was running through quick sand. Shocking player.

Pretty Boy
09-04-2017, 07:48 AM
My memory of Collins was the game at Tynecastle that ended my patience with Fenlon, the 1-0 defeat when Paterson scored. In the 2nd half he had a start of about 5 yards on a Hearts defender when chasing the ball, he plodded towards it and was easily beaten to the ball, brushed aside and the defender casually strolled away with the ball.

I think he's the type who may score goals as a Kris Boyd style poacher but he was utterly woeful when he did anything else. Granted playing under Fenlon and Butcher couldn't have been easy for a striker.

bigwheel
09-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Essentially he was a striker that never scored goals, useless

Holt? Graham ?

Northernhibee
09-04-2017, 08:06 AM
He was utilised in every in entirely the wrong way at us.

bigwheel
09-04-2017, 08:15 AM
He was utilised in every in entirely the wrong way at us.

Ah - Is he a good groundsman?

Northernhibee
09-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Ah - Is he a good groundsman?

No, he's a good striker. Just he was used as a target man by Fenlon and had to drop thirty yards too deep under Butcher.

bigwheel
09-04-2017, 08:18 AM
No, he's a good striker. Just he was used as a target man by Fenlon and had to drop thirty yards too deep under Butcher.

Good players find a way to make their positions work. I was one who hoped Collins would come good, but he didn't ...he is not a "good" striker

Northernhibee
09-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Good players find a way to make their positions work. I was one who hoped Collins would come good, but he didn't ...he is not a "good" striker

That first sentence is bollocks, otherwise you end up with a team of jack of all trades. You play players to their strengths, not their weaknesses.

He's another player who's done well pre and post Hibs; either we're one of the best teams in the UK outside the EPL or something was awry when he and many others were at the club.

Big L
09-04-2017, 08:55 AM
I read some weeks ago that at least two Championship clubs are in for Collins!

BoomtownHibees
09-04-2017, 08:58 AM
I read some weeks ago that at least two Championship clubs are in for Collins!

Ayr and Dumbarton?

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2017, 08:59 AM

Is it fair to compare him scoring more goals in the premier vs what they've scored in the championship?

Next you'll compare the fact that Robertson and Craig scored more than McGeough/Fyvie/McGinn.

heretoday
09-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Don't remind me of those days. It's very morbid.

Hibby Bairn
09-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Is it fair to compare him scoring more goals in the premier vs what they've scored in the championship?

Next you'll compare the fact that Robertson and Craig scored more than McGeough/Fyvie/McGinn.

I was just asking what the goals tally comparison is. Collins imo was honking but any worse than what we currently have?

bigwheel
09-04-2017, 09:23 AM
That first sentence is bollocks, otherwise you end up with a team of jack of all trades. You play players to their strengths, not their weaknesses.

He's another player who's done well pre and post Hibs; either we're one of the best teams in the UK outside the EPL or something was awry when he and many others were at the club.

I was a supporter of a Collins , felt he was unlucky - but as time went by - when you saw he was Almost always just late to the ball - I realised I was wrong

He has done OK at times since - never at the same level as the top division here - he is a plodding journeyman striker and will never be more - he will be remembered as a very poor signing and did nothing to be recalled warmly here

And to suggest good players don't make the best of their role is frankly bollocks - not the other way around

snooky
09-04-2017, 09:28 AM
As I've said before, a good striker will make a goal chance out of nothing and a poor striker will make nothing out of a goal chance. Alas, James was the latter.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2017, 09:30 AM
I was just asking what the goals tally comparison is. Collins imo was honking but any worse than what we currently have?

I know - I don't think the sarcasm in my post came across. :greengrin

Captain Trips
09-04-2017, 09:35 AM
He scored against Hearts and a winner v St J, scored 6 goals no worse than our current strikers in terms of goals and this is all in SPL.

bigwheel
09-04-2017, 09:37 AM
He scored against Hearts and a winner v St J, scored 6 goals no worse than our current strikers in terms of goals and this is all in SPL.

Well a whole lot worse than our main striker Cummings (which he was meant to be).

No worse than Holt mind you

Winston Ingram
09-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Tbf to Collins he was playing in a poor side and had an imbecile of a manager who was hell bent on destroying his and his teammates confidence. On top that, the tactics weren't helping him either.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Collins is the same type of player as Kris Boyd. Putting chances away and nothing else. Outwith the box don't expect anything else but a watching brief with hands on hips. That's not what we asked Collins to do in his time with us.

easty
09-04-2017, 10:08 AM
He did do ***** when he was here, but I don't think he was/is as bad a player as a lot of folk made out.

He played poorly in a shambles of a football team, while working under a ***** management team.

09-04-2017, 10:59 AM
The memory of James Collins and Rowan Vine as our up front partnership still makes me shudder. We really did used to sign some absolutely honking players. How some of them made a living as a football player still remains a total mystery to me.

Heisenberg
09-04-2017, 11:03 AM
He's currently playing at a truly awful level. League two in England is made out by some to be a decent quality but lets be honest, its utter garbage. Certainly no better than our current level. James Collins was terrible for us and at no point looked like a competent player.

emerald green
09-04-2017, 11:04 AM
The one thing Butcher was right about.

Awful control, no pace, poor link up play, zero composure and obviously a terrible goal scoring record.

His performances in the Tynecastle derbies that season were particularly brutal.

Apart from that he was pretty decent. :greengrin

You're right though. He was gash.

Boyle89
09-04-2017, 11:08 AM
His miss at tynecastle form 6 yards out still haunts me. As does his miss at the end of the 2-1 game at home. Shocking player and an ******** to boot.

SirDavidsNapper
09-04-2017, 11:15 AM

There's an element of truth in that. English football is extremely overrated. There are plenty of players that have come up here and been found out. Collins was just one.

LaMotta
09-04-2017, 12:58 PM
Apart from that he was pretty decent. :greengrin

You're right though. He was gash.

Never heard so many excuses invented for a player's gashness either, its laughable!

09-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Never heard so many excuses invented for a player's gashness either, its laughable!

Agreed. To much "oh he would have been better with a better team around him", well surely thats pretty much the same with most players?. He was utter gash and a total let down. I was quite excited when we first signed him but was quick to learn that he was just the latest in a long line of dud signings.

LaMotta
09-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Agreed. To much "oh he would have been better with a better team around him", well surely thats pretty much the same with most players?. He was utter gash and a total let down. I was quite excited when we first signed him but was quick to learn that he was just the latest in a long line of dud signings.

:agree:

Bishop Hibee
09-04-2017, 01:17 PM
League 1 and 2 in England are crap.

eezyrider
09-04-2017, 01:19 PM

75 is an awful lot of strikers. He'D have to be pretty bad not make it in. He was an average 1 goal in 3 games striker when he came to Hibs and only managed 1 in 6 with us. His strike rate is a lot better this season but come on, he's playing for Crawley Town!

EZ

WeeRussell
09-04-2017, 01:35 PM
It's not like he was ramming them home on the occasions a chance did fall for him, and there were a few.

For months people used the "not getting the service" excuse for him. Can't believe some are still scraping for excuses for Collins' time here.

Unseen work
09-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Holt? Graham ?

They're also useless, doesn't make Collins any better.

bigwheel
09-04-2017, 01:39 PM
They're also useless, doesn't make Collins any better.

That was my point .......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2017, 01:44 PM
75 is an awful lot of strikers. He'D have to be pretty bad not make it in. He was an average 1 goal in 3 games striker when he came to Hibs and only managed 1 in 6 with us. His strike rate is a lot better this season but come on, he's playing for Crawley Town!

EZ

75 players I think, not just strikers.

Baader
09-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Garbage and just shows how the lower two English leagues arent as good a standard as they're often made out to be.

Robinho08
09-04-2017, 02:48 PM
He'd score for fun in the Scottish championship.

supermcginn
09-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Carthorse

Smartie
09-04-2017, 02:53 PM
I tried very hard to like him and made excuse after excuse for him but ultimately I thought he was utterly hopeless. Crap player in a crap team.

In his defence, the team he played in was the least creative Hibs side i've seen (even including the current one) which can't be easy for a striker.

OxoHibby
09-04-2017, 02:56 PM
I tried very hard to like him and made excuse after excuse for him but ultimately I thought he was utterly hopeless. Crap player in a crap team.

In his defence, the team he played in was the least creative Hibs side i've seen (even including the current one) which can't be easy for a striker.

I initially tried to like him but he was as good a striker as Colin Murdoch was a child. Both big lumbering units with the turning circle of an oil tanker

Colr
09-04-2017, 04:52 PM

Coming from the worst ****in' manager I've ever seen.

Heisenberg
09-04-2017, 04:58 PM
He'd score for fun in the Scottish championship.

No he wouldn't. He's garbage.

1875STEVE
09-04-2017, 10:34 PM

EZ

It was players, not strikers, and it includes the English Championship.....

ekhibee
09-04-2017, 11:01 PM
Does the other James Collins still play for West Ham?

JDHibs
10-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Would have him above any of our current striking options bar Cummings.

Hard worker, played in a shocking team often with no support, with decent service, hes shown pre and post Hibs hes a goalscorer. Sure the last time i looked, bar Hibs, he has a 1 in 3 goals to games ratio.

Would rather look at his record over 150-200 appearances rather than 30 odd in a crap Hibs team where nobody stood out and where the team spirit was destroyed by Butcher.

snooky
10-04-2017, 09:41 AM

Hard worker, played in a shocking team often with no support, with decent service, hes shown pre and post Hibs hes a goalscorer. Sure the last time i looked, bar Hibs, he has a 1 in 3 goals to games ratio.

Would rather look at his record over 150-200 appearances rather than 30 odd in a crap Hibs team where nobody stood out and where the team spirit was destroyed by Butcher.

To me, James was the player that perfectly epitomised the phrase "heidless chicken".

LaMotta
10-04-2017, 11:04 AM

If you do that you'd be mad to take Collins over any of our current strikers.

Brian Graham has a better scoring record over his 215 games; Holt has a better scoring record over 550 games, and at a far higher standard of football. Keatings has a slightly worse record but he can deliver moments of quality that Collins could only dream of.

JDHibs
10-04-2017, 11:52 AM
If you do that you'd be mad to take Collins over any of our current strikers.

Brian Graham has a better scoring record over his 215 games; Holt has a better scoring record over 550 games, and at a far higher standard of football. Keatings has a slightly worse record but he can deliver moments of quality that Collins could only dream of.

Grahams have mostly been at this level. 4 league goals this season.
5-7 years ago i would have taken Holt. 3 league goals this season
Keatings has 2 league goals this season.

Collins had Taiwo, Cairney, Harris, Robertson & Claros behind him. The above strikers, who have a grand total of 9 league goals behind them, have shinnie, mcgeouch, mcginn, fyvie & bartley behind them, whislt we are sitting top of the table in the league below where Collins is being judged, yet Collins got 6 goals.. puts into perspective how crap our current forward line are as goalscorers bar Cummings..

JDHibs
10-04-2017, 11:54 AM
To me, James was the player that perfectly epitomised the phrase "heidless chicken".

Kind of hard to be anything other than that when defenders are continually playing hoof ball up to a 5ft 8 striker against big certain halfs, which was pretty much our style when Collins was here.. he was fighting off scraps!

Smartie
10-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Grahams have mostly been at this level. 4 league goals this season.
5-7 years ago i would have taken Holt. 3 league goals this season
Keatings has 2 league goals this season.

Collins had Taiwo, Cairney, Harris, Robertson & Claros behind him. The above strikers, who have a grand total of 9 league goals behind them, have shinnie, mcgeouch, mcginn, fyvie & bartley behind them, whislt we are sitting top of the table in the league below where Collins is being judged, yet Collins got 6 goals.. puts into perspective how crap our current forward line are as goalscorers bar Cummings..

True, but it's not like we're carving out loads of clear-cut chances for our current strikers.

We had a number of games under Stubbs where we threw everything at teams and created bucketloads, yet didn't score and counted ourselves really unlucky.

We're creating a lot less this season, although still probably more than we did for the Collins/ Vine dream team.

WeeRussell
10-04-2017, 12:21 PM
As much as I'm happy to stick the boot into Butcher - Collins didn't get any worse under him.

He was very poor from day one... in fact, did his one goal against Hearts that everyone can remember not come under Butcher!?

overdrive
10-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Kind of hard to be anything other than that when defenders are continually playing hoof ball up to a 5ft 8 striker against big certain halfs, which was pretty much our style when Collins was here.. he was fighting off scraps!

Collins is 6ft 2, not 5ft 8.

As much as I'm happy to stick the boot into Butcher - Collins didn't get any worse under him.

He was very poor from day one... in fact, did his one goal against Hearts that everyone can remember not come under Butcher!?

Correct. He was rank. Then again so was Clayton Donaldson who has done well in the English leagues.

Keith_M
10-04-2017, 12:30 PM

Funny, that's what I was thinking.

Andy74
10-04-2017, 12:34 PM
Collins is 6ft 2, not 5ft 8.

Correct. He was rank. Then again so was Clayton Donaldson who has done well in the English leagues.

Donaldson wasn't rank and this is where the truth certainly lies in the middle. Hibs players don't suddenly become better when they move on and do well - they are often pretty harshly judged over what is often quite a short period or a small number of games.

We have Alex Harris still being talked about as needing a chance after about 4 years yet we have guys like Donaldson classed as duds. He played about 20 games and scored 6 goals I think as a young man coming into a new level of football..

Brightside
10-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Its amazing how great players are once they aren't at Hibs. :green grin:green grin James Collins... :rolleyes:

LaMotta
10-04-2017, 12:38 PM

Playing the ball into his feet was pointless as he struggled to hold it up and lay it off. Playing it behind the defence was even more pointless as he had no pace, and in any event was woeful at one on ones.

It did, he also lost possession for their equaliser and missed a sitter at the end. He missed an even worse sitter in the next Easter Road derby when they beat us 2-1.

You are right he was ***** under Fenlon as well though. His first goal for us at McDiarmid park was an awful attempt that somehow squirmed through the keepers arms and his performance was worrying that day too. Total myth that Butcher made him a bad player.

FilipinoHibs
10-04-2017, 12:39 PM
There was his goal against Hertz in the New Year game.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Playing the ball into his feet was pointless as he struggled to hold it up and lay it off. Playing it behind the defence was even more pointless as he had no pace, and in any event was woeful at one on ones.

It did, he also lost possession for their equaliser and missed a sitter at the end. He missed an even worse sitter in the next Easter Road derby when they beat us 2-1.

You are right he was ***** under Fenlon as well though. His first goal for us at McDiarmid park was an awful attempt that somehow squirmed through the keepers arms and his performance was worrying that day too. Total myth that Butcher made him a bad player.It was not an awful attempt at all. The guy was bad enough without folk making stuff up. We were the first team to win at St Johnstone in a year, played well that day.

LaMotta
10-04-2017, 01:01 PM
It was not an awful attempt at all. The guy was bad enough without folk making stuff up. We were the first team to win at St Johnstone in a year, played well that day.

Aye it was, he was one on one with the keeper and he sclaffed it at him and it somehow went in. The team played well that day, his hold up and link play was very poor though.

The only people making stuff up are those with the far fetched excuses for his pishness.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Aye it was, he was one on one with the keeper and he sclaffed it at him and it somehow went in. The team played well that day, his hold up and link play was very poor though.

The only people making stuff up are those with the far fetched excuses for his pishness.

Utter nonsense. He got the ball, laid it back to the midfielder, continued his run and beat the keeper and a defender from a tight angle. It was a very good goal. Good play from him also leads to the first goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ol5mTOnPY

DavidDavidGray
10-04-2017, 01:40 PM
People genuinely rate James Collins? Wouldn't have him anywhere near this team. Couldn't score, didn't work hard and was just poor all round

Captain Trips
10-04-2017, 02:19 PM
James Collins scored as many as our current crop, assists I do no know but he would only need 2 or 3 to be on par with our current lot bar Jason, according to stat site Collins had 2 assits.

I was far from impressed with Collins and equally the same for our current choices who are playing a league below that of which Collins played and in a team with probably far better morale.

LaMotta
10-04-2017, 08:58 PM
Utter nonsense. He got the ball, laid it back to the midfielder, continued his run and beat the keeper and a defender from a tight angle. It was a very good goal. Good play from him also leads to the first goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ol5mTOnPY

:faf:

miscontrols the ball twice in the run up to the first goal, before a powderpuff shot that gets blocked.

Nearly trips over the ball on the edge of the box in the run up to the second ffs, and if you think that was a very good finish then I despair.

:rolleyes:

It's guys like him that got us relegated, he was shocking.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2017, 09:03 PM
:faf:

miscontrols the ball twice in the run up to the first goal, before a powderpuff shot that gets blocked.

Nearly trips over the ball on the edge of the box in the run up to the second ffs, and if you think that was a very good finish then I despair.

:rolleyes:

It's guys like him that got us relegated, he was shocking.I know guys like him got us relegated, I watched them every week. I didn't say he was a great player but you are just making nonsense up, that was a really nice goal. The kind we don't score right now. Quick, decisive passive around the box. You can despair all you like, it went in the ****ing net.

jane_says
10-04-2017, 09:19 PM

The guy had several easy chances and squandered almost every one. I tried to support him but lost it when Jamie langfield sliced a back pass 30 feet in the air for Aberdeen and Collins brought it down, took a touch and from 6 yards passed it wide. Utterly awful footballer.

Remember vividly the one mentioned earlier at tynecastle when he had 5 yards on the boy and didn't even manage an attempt to get the ball because he was so far away from the defender when he strolled away with it.

LaMotta
10-04-2017, 09:56 PM
I know guys like him got us relegated, I watched them every week. I didn't say he was a great player but you are just making nonsense up, that was a really nice goal. The kind we don't score right now. Quick, decisive passive around the box. You can despair all you like, it went in the ****ing net.

What are you on about? The quick passing had nothing to do with Collins and it also has nothing to do with the weak attempt at goal that trickled over the line which was the original point being made.

You are just arguing for the sake of it. Sticking up for diddys like James Collins but happy to stick the boot into David Gray on other threads. I'll leave it at that.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2017, 10:00 PM
What are you on about? The quick passing had nothing to do with Collins and it also has nothing to do with the weak attempt at goal that trickled over the line which was the original point being made.

You are just arguing for the sake of it. Sticking up for diddys like James Collins but happy to stick the boot into David Gray on other threads. I'll leave it at that.Leave it at that if you like.

David Gray was in ***** form recently (probably because he was injured). He was utterly horrendous away at St Mirren. Collins played a part in and finished off a good move. Nothing wrong with me saying that?

KSA Hibee
11-04-2017, 07:43 AM
In all my years of watching the Cabbage I have Le God at the top of my fav players to wear the green.... at the extreme other end of the spectrum as most disliked I have Collins ... pushed very closely by that other clown Vine.

allezsauzee
11-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Ridiculous to suggest that James Collins is a better player than Grant Holt judged by judging merely on goals scored. James Collins was our main scoring threat and was there to put the ball in the net. Grant Holt is the foil for Jason. Those of you old enough will remember how the goals dried up forWillie Irvine (mark i) when Bobby Thomson was suspended for half a season and for Steve Cowan when Gordon Durie wasn't there. Jase is undoubtedly a better player for working with Holt. I think people also need to remember that Grant is a 35 year old who has had serious knee injuries. I think it's unrealistic to expect him to play 40 odd games at this stage of his career and for it to not take it's toll on him physically.

snooky
11-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Ridiculous to suggest that James Collins is a better player than Grant Holt judged by judging merely on goals scored. James Collins was our main scoring threat and was there to put the ball in the net. Grant Holt is the foil for Jason. Those of you old enough will remember how the goals dried up forWillie Irvine (mark i) when Bobby Thomson was suspended for half a season and for Steve Cowan when Gordon Durie wasn't there. Jase is undoubtedly a better player for working with Holt. I think people also need to remember that Grant is a 35 year old who has had serious knee injuries. I think it's unrealistic to expect him to play 40 odd games at this stage of his career and for it to not take it's toll on him physically.

Maybe that's why he doesn't jump? The jar of the landing may be causing him pain or doing more damage to his knees.
Mind you, if his pins are in that bad shape, he'd be better off just hanging up his boots.

MyJo
11-04-2017, 12:35 PM
One of the worst players I've had the misfortune to see pull on a hibs strip. Absolute huddy

alihibs1
11-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Especially bad if you take in the fact he cost us £200,000

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Diclonius
12-04-2017, 08:59 PM

True.

He also missed an open goal in our last derby of the season with us 2-1 down. If he'd scored that I reckon we'd have gone on to win and escape relegation. Bad as he may have been, he wasn't THAT bad, and I think abuse from the stands and from Butcher played a massive part in that. I count myself in this, by the way - I was as bad as everyone else re the abuse.