PDA

View Full Version : Which 2 strikers should we sign?

CMurdoch
08-04-2017, 10:50 PM
Holt won't be given a new contract
Graham isn't good enough for a team aiming for 4th next season but will hang around for one more season because he has a contract.
Cummings has improved this season and there will be teams sniffing about him. Hope we can persuade him to stay for a season in the SPL.

Given the above we need to push the boat out to sign a good quality partner for Cummings.

Who?
Moult from Motherwell. When does his contract expire? How much would he cost us?
Stevie May. Again when does his Preston contract expire? Would he come to Hibs? Is he fully over his injury? How much would he cost?
Boyce from Ross County. When does his contract expire? Is he good enough?

Any other suggestions of strikers of the right quality that would come to Hibs and whose transfer fee and/or wages we would be willing to meet.

Zazu62
08-04-2017, 10:57 PM
Kris Doolan

CMurdoch
08-04-2017, 11:05 PM
Kris Doolan

Yeah, I was thinking about Doolan as the 2nd striker to sign. Probably for the bench.
Is 29 or 30 and has scored 102 goals in an ever struggling Partick Thistle team.

Update - Louis Moult will be 25 in May and his contract has another season to run. Would Hibs be willing to pay a transfer fee to sign him and how much would Motherwell want?

snooky
08-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Kris Doolan

He seems to have a knack for scoring so a thumbs up from me.
I'd sign someone who was once on fire too :wink:

CMurdoch
08-04-2017, 11:16 PM
He seems to have a knack for scoring so a thumbs up from me.
I'd sign someone who was once on fire too :wink:

Stokes will be on a lucrative contract and has only been there for 1 season so unless they want to pay him off he will hang around until it ends.

Update - Stevie May's contract at Preston has another year to run. His situation is the same as Stokes.
He has been in England for 3 seasons and has done he haw so may (no pun intended) consider coming back.

PiemanP
08-04-2017, 11:17 PM
Kris Doolan

Colin nish and Paul heffernan are the names that spring to mind here. Not nearly a good enough goal scoring ratio.

We should be going for someone like Stevie May (much loved rumour) he's a proven goal scorer at SPL level although has fallen on tough times due to injury. Much rather take a chance on him than have another Brian Graham.

truehibernian
08-04-2017, 11:17 PM
Anthony Stokes and Louis Moult

GreenNWhiteArmy
08-04-2017, 11:18 PM
Anthony Stokes and Louis Moult

Yes please

CMurdoch
08-04-2017, 11:29 PM
Liam Boyce is 26 in April and his contract at Ross County has another season to run.
Has averaged a goal every 2 games for Ross County which is a good effort.
We could even offer to swap Graham plus cash for him :greengrin
They would never agree to that. Think we are stuck with Graham for another season.

1875STEVE
08-04-2017, 11:29 PM
Stokes would be the dream signing.

Boyce id defo go for.

Moult maybe out of our price range imo.

truehibernian
08-04-2017, 11:33 PM

Boyce id defo go for.

Not what I'm hearing......Stokes, maybe, not LM.

hfc rd
08-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Malonga & Doolan

Would go for May but reckon the sheep will get him

northstandhibby
09-04-2017, 12:12 AM

Boyce id defo go for.

Would love to pass fat ******* mysogynistic Cowan's team on the way up while they trapdoor so Moult may be a bargain from his horrible wee team.

glory glory

Centre Hawf
09-04-2017, 01:01 AM
Id take Stevie May on loan. Give him a chance to reinvent himself and make another crack at England after. Not sure I could see us poaching many Scottish Premiership players unless the contracts up. I could see Stokes happening again. If he was close to a loan move in January then I dont see why he wouldn't be up for coming in the summer.

Ozyhibby
09-04-2017, 01:02 AM
Moult, Boyce, Stokes or May would all be good options. We may have to pay a fee but we are likely to be collecting a bigger fee for McGinn.
I would not bother with Doolan though, too old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
09-04-2017, 01:10 AM
Anybody?

Unseen work
09-04-2017, 02:50 AM
Stephen Dobbie would be a tremendous option imo and very cheap

BlackSheep
09-04-2017, 07:31 AM
I'm hoping Oli Shaw continues his current development form into the first team, even as an impact player coming in to replace someone from the bench.

lyonhibs
09-04-2017, 07:39 AM
We should sign 2 strikers that have been appropriately scouted and know where the back of the net is.

Whether we've heard of them before is entirely secondary IMO.

Nameless
09-04-2017, 08:18 AM
We should sign 2 strikers that have been appropriately scouted and know where the back of the net is.

Whether we've heard of them before is entirely secondary IMO.
Like the signing of Boozy - never heard of him, but an absolute diamond.

thebausburst
09-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Simon Murray from DUFC

Borderhibbie76
09-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Simon Murray from DUFC
Please God NO - he is awful

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ryan69
09-04-2017, 08:36 AM
I'm hoping Oli Shaw continues his current development form into the first team, even as an impact player coming in to replace someone from the bench.

Probably too much of a jump up at moment.

Not really been scoring for Stenhuismuir.

Bishop Hibee
09-04-2017, 08:36 AM
I like what I've seen of Moult but he may be out of our price range. I'm sure Lennon has targets and if Oli Shaw is going to make an impact he should have game time next season.

BlackSheep
09-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Probably too much of a jump up at moment.

Not really been scoring for Stenhuismuir.

Maybe, but Lennon has been singing his praises recently and even said if he wasn't away at Stenie then he would have given him a chance.

Gotta step up at some time, and looks sharp in front of goal for the Dev team... it's all about opportunities.

His youthful enthusiasm could have been a real asset this year seeing as we have struggled for invention in front of goal.

Heisenberg
09-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Not what I'm hearing......Stokes, maybe, not LM.

Moult would be a brilliant signing. Surely Well would be looking for a fair wedge for him though? He's their star player.

eastmainsmsh
09-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Liam Boyce and Alex schalk

YehButNoBut
09-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Griffiths & Stokes.

I can but dream :thumbsup::flag:

Eyrie
09-04-2017, 09:33 AM
May on loan would be a good move to partner Cummings. Not sure who I'd have as the first striker off the bench, but unless we pay off Graham then he'll be back as the fourth choice.

Col2
09-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Kenny Miller - with maybe coaching role - IF The Rangers don't offer him contract.
Steven Dobbie - goals and experience but under contract so would need a small fee and need him to want to come
Simon Murray - hard working has goals in him, still developing. If United don't get up then fee shouldn't be huge.
Stokes - going knowhere at Blackburn and either perm or loan move.

Miller can play wider. Stokes the same and Dobbie can play off front player as well so plenty of options and movement.

Big L
09-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Simon Murray from DUFC

Left sided attaker, he's got pace and he scores goals. I suggested we sign him at the break, people said he was raw and I agree to an extent. Lennon offered £60k for him, Utd said they won't sell to a rival. I would take him in a second.

21sMay
09-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Boyce knows where the net is. My preferred option would be stokes. If Cummings goes then I'd try using most of that cash to lure Griffiths back if it's even remotely possible

Earlydelivery
09-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Heard a wee whisper about Tony Andreu .

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-04-2017, 10:01 AM
If I was the manager I would be looking to address the lack of goals from our first team as a whole and not just the forwards.

Billychaotic182
09-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Stevie May and Liam Boyce!

But more realistic probably Stokes and Gregory Tade

easty
09-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Kris Doolan is soooo *****.

I didn't want Brian Graham, but I'm no even sure Doolan would be an upgrade on him.

Borderhibbie76
09-04-2017, 10:11 AM
He'd be a brilliant signing...goals from behind the front 2...exactly what we are missing this season and the last 2 or 3 tbh

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

frazeHFC
09-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Don't want Simon Murray anywhere near our team. Know quite a few Utd fans and they don't rate him at all.

where'stheslope
09-04-2017, 10:16 AM
We should try and keep Cummings and get maybe Andreu, plus at least one proven scoring midfielder.
If we can score more goals from all areas it takes some of the pressure of the defense, and when we are in the Premiership next season it will be more than needed as they will have to face better more adept players than half the Championship has to offer!
We could need up to six players to bolster our Championship squad, and unfortunately we will end up losing a few, in transfers and no longer required.
I would be happy with a top 6 finish, but I know there are a few who think we can get right up to top two, realism tells you that if you've been stuck in the Championship for as long as we have, staying in the division is the most important thing next season anything else is a bonus!!!!

emerald green
09-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez, but they would still need decent service from midfield and from the wings.

davidgray210516
09-04-2017, 10:23 AM
We should try and keep Cummings and get maybe Andreu, plus at least one proven scoring midfielder.
If we can score more goals from all areas it takes some of the pressure of the defense, and when we are in the Premiership next season it will be more than needed as they will have to face better more adept players than half the Championship has to offer!
We could need up to six players to bolster our Championship squad, and unfortunately we will end up losing a few, in transfers and no longer

required.
I would be happy with a top 6 finish, but I know there are a few who think we can get right up to top two, realism tells you that if you've been stuck in the Championship for as long as we have, staying in the division is the most important thing next season anything else is a bonus!!!!

Andreu is a proven goal scoring midfielder

Heisenberg
09-04-2017, 10:26 AM

Would be a fantastic signing. The kind of player we've been missing.

Is It On....
09-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Kris Doolan

Not a chance. He is the main man at the club that gave him his opportunity and recently signed a long term contract.

StevieCowan
09-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Kris Commons
Liam Henderson
Lewis Moult
Tony Andreu
Lewis Morgan
Stevie Mallan
Scott Allan
Steve McGinn
Anthony Stokes

I'd imagine all these guys will be on Hibs radar.

GreenLake
09-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Stokes
Griffiths
Malonga

fat freddy
09-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Ally Crawford from Hamilton, not an out an out striker but an attacking midfielder that provides goals from an area where we are sadly lacking. Hes got around 35 goals from 245 appearances and at 25 years old he has youth on his side plus the experience of playing and scoring regulary in The Premier League.
We should also go for Billy McKay if Inverness get relegated. Another who can score at the level we are going to be playing at

Ozyhibby
09-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Ally Crawford from Hamilton, not an out an out striker but an attacking midfielder that provides goals from an area where we are sadly lacking. Hes got around 35 goals from 245 appearances and at 25 years old he has youth on his side plus the experience of playing and scoring regulary in The Premier League.
We should also go for Billy McKay if Inverness get relegated. Another who can score at the level we are going to be playing at

Agree on Crawford but not keen on McKay.
Just looking at this thread makes you realise that there are a lot of options out there.

Blaster
09-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Just looking at this thread makes you realise that there are a lot of options out there.

Fair to say though ozy that a number of those players wouldn't have come to play in the championship. Definitely some good options when in the top league

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez, but they would still need decent service from midfield and from the wings.

Too true, thats why we need to get Theo Walcott and Pedro as well.

IWasThere2016
09-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon (RIP) types please #stuckinthe70s

weecounty hibby
09-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Anyone who saw Kenny Miller today would be putting him top of the list. Still has so much to offer

09-04-2017, 01:51 PM
I hope Cummings stays for at least another season. He's been good the last few years but he still has a lot of developing to do and although he's scored against top flight teams in the cup competitions, he's yet to prove he can cope playing against top flight teams week in week out. He's got a lot to work on and his consistency is sometimes a bit of a worry. If I was Lennon i'd be saying stay at hibs a season or two more, develop your game (like how to shoot with your right foot!) and attract more attention to yourself then see what bigger offers you get.

My worry with Cummings is that he lets any hype around him go to his head and starts thinking he's better than he really is. He wouldn't be the first young player to jump ship too early and end up damaging their development/career. Just hope he keeps his feet on the ground, listens to the right people and keeps getting his head down to work hard and continue learning. If he does that and makes good decisions then he has the potential to go on to have a very good career. Would be sad to see another young talent waste away his career warming the bench for someone because they got swayed by a bigger move too early.

09-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Anyone who saw Kenny Miller today would be putting him top of the list. Still has so much to offer

Would be delighted if we signed Miller. Can't understand why some folk are saying they wouldn't just because of his age. He can still score and i've lost count of the amount of times he's pulled the huns out the ****.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2017, 02:08 PM

Lennon was at the Motherwell v Hamilton game in midweek, wonder who he was looking at?

stanton_4
09-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Matt Godden at Stevenage has bagged 20 goals this season. He was given a one-year deal at the start of the season after netting forty-seven times in ninety-one games for Ebbsfleet United so he'd be a free agent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Godden

HibbyAndy
09-04-2017, 02:23 PM
The fella Marquez from Doncaster

Pete
09-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Wouldn't want Kenny Millar for one reason.

That cup final puss after the two Rangers goals.

Sorry Kenny, thats all I can see now.

Ozyhibby
09-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Kenny Millar only has 8 league goals this season and is 37 now. I really don't see him as the future of Hibs.

stanton_4
09-04-2017, 03:19 PM
The fella Marquez from Doncaster

Good shout but he signed a 2 year deal at the start of the season and given that he's League 2's top scorer he'd probably be pricey.

Dundee Hibee
09-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Simon Murray is out of contract at the end of the season and has still not agreed to an extension, would be a good squad player imo.

Ozyhibby
09-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Simon Murray is out of contract at the end of the season and has still not agreed to an extension, would be a good squad player imo.

Not for me, not good enough.

ekhibee
09-04-2017, 03:46 PM
This is going to sound like I'm taking the piss, but I actually think Goncalves would be a good player up front for us. He annoys defences, decent on the ball, fiery. Just think with decent service he'd be good up front with Cummings. I don't think for a second that anybody will agree with me though!!

stanton_4
09-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Left sided attaker, he's got pace and he scores goals. I suggested we sign him at the break, people said he was raw and I agree to an extent. Lennon offered £60k for him, Utd said they won't sell to a rival. I would take him in a second.

His dad Gary played for Hibs too :greengrin

weecounty hibby
09-04-2017, 03:48 PM
This is going to sound like I'm taking the piss, but I actually think Goncalves would be a good player up front for us. He annoys defences, decent on the ball, fiery. Just think with decent service he'd be good up front with Cummings. I don't think for a second that anybody will agree with me though!!

I was going to post something similar. He could probably do a decent job for us. But could we ever match the wages of a truly big, massive, huge club like hearts

Ozyhibby
09-04-2017, 03:57 PM
I was going to post something similar. He could probably do a decent job for us. But could we ever match the wages of a truly big, massive, huge club like hearts

He is under contract until 2020??

weecounty hibby
09-04-2017, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;5004690]He is under contract until 2020???

Fairy Nuff. Thought he was on loan. I don't pay enough attention to them to know who is signed and who isnt

emerald green
09-04-2017, 04:28 PM
Too true, thats why we need to get Theo Walcott and Pedro as well.

If only. :greengrin :aok:

lord bunberry
09-04-2017, 04:32 PM
I don't rate him at all.

thebausburst
09-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Don't want Simon Murray anywhere near our team. Know quite a few Utd fans and they don't rate him at all.
Have they seen Brian Graham!

Heisenberg
09-04-2017, 05:06 PM

If he's out of contract then I'm guessing we might go for him considering Lennon tried to get him previously. Don't rate him myself.

Greenwich_Hibby
09-04-2017, 05:11 PM
They will invariably be folk from the East end of Glasgow regardless - as that's as far as Lennon can see!

ancient hibee
09-04-2017, 05:11 PM
We are going to move players who have not shown much in this division.Replacing them with similar does not seem a good idea.We need experienced top league players.

The Leith Dutch
09-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Kenny Millar only has 8 league goals this season and is 37 now. I really don't see him as the future of Hibs.

Completely agree.

Plenty of talk about him having a great attitude, a will to win and being a hard worker but I'm up for the novel idea of signing a striker that gets goals. Lots of goals.

Given what people are looking for next season we're going to need someone to at least get around the 15 goals mark in the league.

JimBHibees
09-04-2017, 05:15 PM
They will invariably be folk from the East end of Glasgow regardless - as that's as far as Lennon can see!

Which part of the East end of Glasgow is Israel, Birmingham, Preston or Norwich?

Lago
09-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Completely agree.

Plenty of talk about him having a great attitude, a will to win and being a hard worker but I'm up for the novel idea of signing a striker that gets goals. Lots of goals.

Given what people are looking for next season we're going to need someone to at least get around the 15 goals mark in the league.
Think after todays performance another years contract will be on the table for him now.

Heisenberg
09-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Lennon was at the Motherwell v Hamilton game in midweek, wonder who he was looking at?

Hopefully Moult or even Ainsworth. Would be impressed if we could afford Moult.

HibsNutter
09-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Hopefully Moult or even Ainsworth. Would be impressed if we could afford Moult.

Maybe he was watching Ali Crawford?

I think the priority this summer in terms of attacking options is keeping Jason for at least another year, Stokes would be good too.

Unseen work
09-04-2017, 05:46 PM
We need strikers that can score a good number of goals and be reliable if they get one or two chances a game that they will take one.

A main priority as well though is a striker that if he isn't scoring still contributes and causes havoc for the opposition or creates chances for his team mates.

Some of the following would be very good business imo.

Miles Storey
Lee Erwin
Moult
Boyce - could we afford him?
Stephen Dobbie
Kenny Miller

SirDavidsNapper
09-04-2017, 05:49 PM
What happened to Sow who was at the fuds? He'd be a good addition if available. Doolan from Partick seems to be a good player. Also like Boyce from County.

ACLeith
09-04-2017, 07:40 PM
We need strikers that can score a good number of goals and be reliable if they get one or two chances a game that they will take one.

A main priority as well though is a striker that if he isn't scoring still contributes and causes havoc for the opposition or creates chances for his team mates.

Some of the following would be very good business imo.

Miles Storey
Lee Erwin
Moult
Boyce - could we afford him?
Stephen Dobbie
Kenny Miller

KM made his 2nd today look easy!

edwards
09-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Boyce and Stokes if not Stokes, Dobbie

angus hibby
09-04-2017, 08:14 PM
If we're looking for someone to replace Graham/Holt, possibly Steven MacLean at St Johnstone? Always been impressed when I've seen him. Maybe Ciftci as well?

Work with United fans who say Simon Murray is awful. Poor first touch, no game awareness whatsoever and all he has going for him is pace. The lad was a joiner or plumber about less than two years ago!

Colr
09-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Which part of the East end of Glasgow is Israel, Birmingham, Preston or Norwich?

They have an Egypt.

cookin_on_gaz
09-04-2017, 08:57 PM
You say Holt won't be offered a new contract, is this something you know? Holt would be my first choice for next season. Its true to say he doesn't get enough goals, but he puts a good shift in and his work off the ball is second to none. Very much like Stokes was last year.

Sent from my VF-1397 using Tapatalk

Speedy
09-04-2017, 09:03 PM
Not Dobbie. Mid 30s and never been a real goalscorer.

Heisenberg
09-04-2017, 09:05 PM
You say Holt won't be offered a new contract, is this something you know? Holt would be my first choice for next season. Its true to say he doesn't get enough goals, but he puts a good shift in and his work off the ball is second to none. Very much like Stokes was last year.

Holt would be your first choice? Seriously? He's a striker who doesn't score. His good work off the ball as you put it doesn't seem to be creating much for anyone else either. We need so much better than him next season.

bigwheel
09-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Not Dobbie. Mid 30s and never been a real goalscorer.

Are you kidding ? Everywhere he has got regular games his goal ratio is superb. Has scored as many as Cummings this season played less game and in a weaker team

Would be well worth a contract

cookin_on_gaz
09-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Holt would be your first choice? Seriously? He's a striker who doesn't score. His good work off the ball as you put it doesn't give him any assists either. We need so much better than him next season.
Definitely, I think he would do well in the top league. If you watch him during games he is always encouraging other players and genuinely tries as hard as he can. Guys like that are always good to have in the squad at least.

bigwheel
09-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Definitely, I think he would do well in the top league. If you watch him during games he is always encouraging other players and genuinely tries as hard as he can. Guys like that are always good to have in the squad at least.

Jeez. Not for me. Fortunately I don't see any likelihood of him getting another year. Puts in a shift but overall contribution has been nowhere near what was expected

1875STEVE
09-04-2017, 10:13 PM
I honestly don't think any of our current strikers will be there next season.

I reckon a big money move for cummings, and the other 3 will leave.

Cat Stanton
09-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Holt won't be given a new contract
Graham isn't good enough for a team aiming for 4th next season but will hang around for one more season because he has a contract.
Cummings has improved this season and there will be teams sniffing about him. Hope we can persuade him to stay for a season in the SPL.

Given the above we need to push the boat out to sign a good quality partner for Cummings.

Who?
Moult from Motherwell. When does his contract expire? How much would he cost us?
Stevie May. Again when does his Preston contract expire? Would he come to Hibs? Is he fully over his injury? How much would he cost?
Boyce from Ross County. When does his contract expire? Is he good enough?

Any other suggestions of strikers of the right quality that would come to Hibs and whose transfer fee and/or wages we would be willing to meet.

A concern is how much faith we have in Lennon's signings. And before everyone starts shouting, I like Lennon. But there are many differences between him and Stubbs.

One is that with Stubbs we were soft-centred, forever blowing games we should have won, while with Lennon, we are defensively pretty strong. However, another is that Stubbs brought in great players (Dagnall excepted), and Lennon, well, hasn't. Yes, the two emergency signings have been great, but proper contract signings less so: Graham, Holt, Humpheys either haven't convinced, or (in the case of Holt) have been good in fits and starts but aren't a long term solution. I worry a a bit about who he would bring in on his budget because his track record isn't brilliant.

wookie70
09-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Anyone who likes to score goals and isn't afraid to miss. I don't think Graham is as bad as many make him out to be. He gets in the box and wins headers. He looks like he will score most weeks and given how much his confidence must have been battered sitting on the bench while someone who never looks like scoring and rarely creates a chance I think he may surprise a few. that being said I would like better and keep Graham for cover, to offer a big man option or to offer competition.

I want someone who can hold the ball up, score goals and has pace. he doesn't need to be a man mountain as the last thing I want to see is another season of hoofball. I also want someone who can play on the left side as a winger. That would give Cummings, Graham, Boyle, and two new guys with hopefully Oli Shaw in the mix too. I like Keatings but I wouldn't keep him and I think Holt has been a terrible signing. No idea if Humphrey is terrible or pretty good but I would rather buy younger players with potential value to sell on when the time is right.

BigT-Hibeez
10-04-2017, 01:03 AM
A concern is how much faith we have in Lennon's signings. And before everyone starts shouting, I like Lennon. But there are many differences between him and Stubbs.

One is that with Stubbs we were soft-centred, forever blowing games we should have won, while with Lennon, we are defensively pretty strong. However, another is that Stubbs brought in great players (Dagnall excepted), and Lennon, well, hasn't. Yes, the two emergency signings have been great, but proper contract signings less so: Graham, Holt, Humpheys either haven't convinced, or (in the case of Holt) have been good in fits and starts but aren't a long term solution. I worry a a bit about who he would bring in on his budget because his track record isn't brilliant.

Stubbs signed:

Oxley - Hmmm, not amazing..
Reguero - Who?
Bartley - Solid, reliable battling midfielder, lacking in skill.. A poor man's Ledley King
Keatings - Talented! Unreliable! (file under Stanton, Harris, Handling)
Boyle - Personally, not a good footballer..
McGinn - Amazing signing, has worriedly went a bit off form under Lennon
McGeouch - (Loan, then signed) Sometimes better than McGinn, wish he could stay fit
McGregor - Love him!! Not always amazing but surely one of the most reliable signings in years.. And Hibs daft!!
Allan - Great player, total welt
Henderson - (Loan) Hibs class
Gray - Legend, but like McGinn, way off form under Lennon
Fontaine - Solid enough, like Bartley lacking in skill.. A poor man's rio Ferdinand
Fyvie - Needs a boot up the arse, could be a great player!!
Malonga - Legend, lazy, French!! Ha ha
Logan - Legend
Stokes - (Loan) Poor league player, SC legend!!
Gunnarsson - Wish we had kept him!!
Watson - Who?
Cerny - Hmmmm
Insall - Nah
Carmichael - Old firm tactics, buy a rivals best player and bench him!! Or was he just crap? Suspect the latter
Virtanen - Never got a chance
Kennedy - WHOOOO???
Sinclair - Again, WHOOOO?
Farid - Scored the winner against them, didn't do much else, injury prone.. Nice guy
Dja Djedje - The black James Collins!! Mince!!
Eckersley - Rubbish
Dagnall - Rubbish! Got his Scottish Cup Winners players card at Hibs Hospitality recently, wasn't happy with that.. Got to meet Jase though so not so bad..
KT - A morale boost signing? Was it really Stubbs that re-signed him?
Anier - Was expecting goals from him, did he get any? Hardly played..

Lennon's Signings:

Marciano - (Loan) Good solid goalie, few errors creeped in recently though..
Holt - I like him, but i would rather hate a player who scores every week..
Graham - Nah!!!
Shinnie - Like him, good player.. reckon he could shine in the SPL next season
Humphrey - One good game so can't judge.. But not sure
Commons - (Loan) Wish he was still here.. Was at the Falkirk game NYE so a legend for 2016
Ambrose - (Loan) Love him, and been a big player for us the last few games
McClean - One game so far and faultless

Not sure why I just spent half an hour looking this up, probably too much sun today, and whisky tonight, but make of it what you will..

AgentDaleCooper
10-04-2017, 01:13 AM
Stubbs signed:

Reguero - Who?
Bartley - Solid, reliable battling midfielder, lacking in skill.. A poor man's Ledley King
McGeouch - (Loan, then signed) Sometimes better than McGinn, wish he could stay fit
McGregor - Love him!! Not always amazing but surely one of the most reliable signings in years.. And Hibs daft!!
Fontaine - Solid enough, like Bartley lacking in skill.. A poor man's rio Ferdinand
Logan - Legend
Watson - Who?
Cerny - Hmmmm
Insall - Nah
Carmichael - Old firm tactics, buy a rivals best player and bench him!! Or was he just crap? Suspect the latter
Kennedy - WHOOOO???
Farid - Scored the winner against them, didn't do much else, injury prone.. Nice guy
Eckersley - Rubbish
Dagnall - Rubbish! Got his Scottish Cup Winners players card at Hibs Hospitality recently, wasn't happy with that.. Got to meet Jase though so not so bad..

Lennon's Signings:

Graham - Nah!!!
Commons - (Loan) Wish he was still here.. Was at the Falkirk game NYE so a legend for 2016

Not sure why I just spent half an hour looking this up, probably too much sun today, and whisky tonight, but make of it what you will..

going by what you have posted, i would say that out of stubbs' signings 15/30 could be considered successes, with the same being said of 4/8 for lennon...basically identical record then. it's worth remembering as well that lennon convinced cummings to sign a new deal, as well as stay on this season...where the hell would we be without him?!

in short, i think the jury is somewhat out on lennon, but i have faith in him that he will attract very good players. even if they are celtic rejects, i don't give a hoot if they play for the shirt and get us back where we belong.

davidgray210516
10-04-2017, 01:23 AM
Stubbs signed:

Reguero - Who?
Logan - Legend
Watson - Who?
Cerny - Hmmmm
Insall - Nah
Kennedy - WHOOOO???
Eckersley - Rubbish

Lennon's Signings:

Graham - Nah!!!

Pointless time you won't get back.
Under Stubbs we were playing incredible attacking passing football and a lot of the time getting beat as couldn't finish our chances. So I'd be happy enough to change our play and win games but under Lennon it's the same old story, only difference is we are boring to watch just now. It's hoofball and crosses rather than slick passing moves.
Don't try to defend the signings. Bar the hearts game and Marciano Dunfermline they're keek

AgentDaleCooper
10-04-2017, 01:32 AM
Pointless time you won't get back.
Under Stubbs we were playing incredible attacking passing football and a lot of the time getting beat as couldn't finish our chances. So I'd be happy enough to change our play and win games but under Lennon it's the same old story, only difference is we are boring to watch just now. It's hoofball and crosses rather than slick passing moves.
Don't try to defend the signings. Bar the hearts game and Marciano Dunfermline they're keek

that's rubbish. ambrose is good, shinnie, though capable of being rubbish, has been as good as any of our other midfielders this season, commons, though only here for a month, scored some absolutely vital goals, and marciano has been our best keeper since leighton IMO. we can't really judge humphreys, maclean hasn't played enough, holt is likable but crap, and graham is just crap (but has a pretty decent goals to minutes played ratio). overall the signings have been hit and miss, not set the heather alight, but ultimately have done the job.

IMO part of the problem is some players (like mcginn) are going through the motions playing extremely defensive, fairly skill-free sides that we have to break down whilst getting our teeth kicked out. lennon's team will come into their own next season.

:flag::flag::flag:

Unseen work
10-04-2017, 01:33 AM
Agree with what a couple of posters have said re Graham.

I am not a fan of him however for me he offers far more of a threat than Holt.

Whenever I watch Holt I never feel like he will get a half chance let alone score it.

Graham at least has been getting in good positions and getting efforts at goal in his last couple of games despite lack of match fitness and confidence.

I would continue with Graham over Holt till the summer but once that comes I expect both will be binned.

Unseen work
10-04-2017, 01:35 AM

Sorry but if that is what you can consider his strong attributes to be then it speaks volumes.

When being asked what you want from your striker I would say encouraging folk and trying hard are probably the last 2 things I would say.

davidgray210516
10-04-2017, 01:55 AM
that's rubbish. ambrose is good, shinnie, though capable of being rubbish, has been as good as any of our other midfielders this season, commons, though only here for a month, scored some absolutely vital goals, and marciano has been our best keeper since leighton IMO. we can't really judge humphreys, maclean hasn't played enough, holt is likable but crap, and graham is just crap (but has a pretty decent goals to minutes played ratio). overall the signings have been hit and miss, not set the heather alight, but ultimately have done the job.

IMO part of the problem is some players (like mcginn) are going through the motions playing extremely defensive, fairly skill-free sides that we have to break down whilst getting our teeth kicked out. lennon's team will come into their own next season.

:flag::flag::flag:

Daniel Anderson was better, Szamotulski was and imo Williams was too but I hope your right with coming good mate. We've done enough to come up, if we win the cup I'd happily eat my words, other than that a top 4 finish next year, all I feel are doubtful under Lennon tho but hope I'm wrong

sixtwo
10-04-2017, 06:44 AM
Marc mcNulty is out of contract at Sheffield Utd I think. He is a good big striker and an Edinburgh boy.
If we sell McGinn to Celtic we could get Griffiths and Henderson in return.

hibbymark
10-04-2017, 06:57 AM

I genuinely feel sorry for Holt. He was clearly a fantastic striker in the Premiership back in the day but he is absolutely finished now . Time stands still for no one etc etc( hence why he's in the second tier of Scottish football).

He's only here because Lennon knows him and recently he has looked like someone's fat dad playing for their sons football team.

Step up to the Premier league next year ? You've got to be joking ?

Pete
10-04-2017, 07:13 AM
I genuinely feel sorry for Holt. He was clearly a fantastic striker in the Premiership back in the day but he is absolutely finished now . Time stands still for no one etc etc( hence why he's in the second tier of Scottish football).

He's only here because Lennon knows him and recently he has looked like someone's fat dad playing for their sons football team.

Step up to the Premier league next year ? You've got to be joking ?

I think you have an over inflated opinion of the premier league if you think that Holt couldn't play in it. He'd do a job for somebody and has more footballing knowhow than the majority of the pretenders playing there.

While he admittedly is at the end of his career, I'd like to see him kept on at the club. A bit-part playing/coaching role would be ideal as he could continue to pass on his tricks to strikers such as Jase who have lapped up what advice he has to offer.

Even though the goals haven't been there, he's been more of an asset than a few of our signings over the past few years have been.

Ozyhibby
10-04-2017, 08:03 AM
I think you have an over inflated opinion of the premier league if you think that Holt couldn't play in it. He'd do a job for somebody and has more footballing knowhow than the majority of the pretenders playing there.

While he admittedly is at the end of his career, I'd like to see him kept on at the club. A bit-part playing/coaching role would be ideal as he could continue to pass on his tricks to strikers such as Jase who have lapped up what advice he has to offer.

Even though the goals haven't been there, he's been more of an asset than a few of our signings over the past few years have been.

Why does nobody ever credit Cummings himself with improvement? Previously Riordon was getting the credit for making him a better striker, now it's Holt.
I suspect that Lennon and Stubbs will have had an influence but the main reasons are game time and Cummings willingness to learn. He is improving all the time and that's down to him most of all.

snooky
10-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Agree with what a couple of posters have said re Graham.

I am not a fan of him however for me he offers far more of a threat than Holt.

Whenever I watch Holt I never feel like he will get a half chance let alone score it.

Graham at least has been getting in good positions and getting efforts at goal in his last couple of games despite lack of match fitness and confidence.

I would continue with Graham over Holt till the summer but once that comes I expect both will be binned.
I agree 100% with what you say.

stantonhibby
10-04-2017, 09:09 AM

I like Holt and think he has been pretty decent for us, however his lack of goals is an obvious concern. I think we'll thank him for his contribution, and look elsewhere next season

we are hibs
10-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Stubbs signed:

Reguero - Who?
Logan - Legend
Watson - Who?
Cerny - Hmmmm
Insall - Nah
Kennedy - WHOOOO???
Eckersley - Rubbish

Lennon's Signings:

Graham - Nah!!!

Youve missed out Eardely and Laidlaw from lennons signings.

snooky
10-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Stubbs signed:

Reguero - Who?
Logan - Legend
Watson - Who?
Cerny - Hmmmm
Insall - Nah
Kennedy - WHOOOO???
Eckersley - Rubbish

Lennon's Signings:

Graham - Nah!!!

Totally agree with those evaluations. :aok:
(Though a tad unfair to Boyle).

thommo1875
10-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Wouldn't take Stokes or Miller back.

I'd take Craig Sibbald, granted he's more a midfielder but plays in the number 10 role and scores goals.

But we defo need someone to work with Cummings. Holt and Graham just haven't don't it.

Keatings will always be an impact player off the bench.

Moult or Boyce would be decent. As would Adam Rooney.

Be good to get Niall McGinn aswell if he's leaving Aberdeen

Stevie Reid
10-04-2017, 10:15 AM

I'd take Craig Sibbald, granted he's more a midfielder but plays in the number 10 role and scores goals.

But we defo need someone to work with Cummings. Holt and Graham just haven't don't it.

Niall McGinn is leaving Aberdeen as they can't afford to keep him.

Adam Rooney has scored 74 goals in 122 games for Aberdeen - I'd describe us signing him as a miracle, as opposed to "decent".

bigwheel
10-04-2017, 10:27 AM

I can't see any of those being in the "affordable" category...

seanoheimhin
10-04-2017, 11:23 AM
As someone who's only been following hibs since 2009 or so - after the last few seasons in the Championship it's kind of hard to recall just how we usually engage with other SPL teams in terms of transfers when we're in the same division.

I know money talks, but it seems madness that County or Well would sell us, who they will be viewing as direct rivals next season in terms of top 6 ambitions, their best player for the money that we can offer them. Hopefully Leanne can work some magic, but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds...

I rate Moult highly so that would be fantastic, but either way Lennon's signings have been pretty decent so willing to show some faith in him in the next window.

theonlywayisup
10-04-2017, 12:07 PM

Interesting one! From the 4-3 Cup Semi to the recent game at Easter Road, he's one Falkirk player who always seems to play well against us and scores often. So, I can understand why people would want him signed up.

Still only 21 and has scored 31 goals in 191 games is a pretty good return from a midfielder, albeit all in the Championship.

However, in reviewing his stats I see that during the January transfer window Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and Nottingham Forrest were all reported as being interested in him.

Heisenberg
10-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Sibbald would be very good but his compo is apparently very high. Somewhere in the region of 300k if we want him at the end of his contract.

JDHibs
10-04-2017, 12:57 PM
If we are to show ambition we should be aiming for players like -

Boyce
Moult
Hendo
Sibbald

and 2 genuine wide players with a end product.

I imagine NL has already started scouting for prospective signings since we are pretty much over the line. But it all comes down to transfer fees, all 4 ive mentioned will need fees. Sibbald/Hnedo development fees. Dont think any of their wages will be an issue.

Ozyhibby
10-04-2017, 01:31 PM
We are about to take in a hefty fee for McGinn (possibly). Paying a smallish fee for these players now could realise a much larger fee in the future.

BegbieHSC
10-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Apologies if I sound like a total idiot, but bearing in mind that any fee Hibs collect for McGinn, St Mirren are to pocket c.33% of, what would happen in the event that a swap deal happened?

Hypothetically, if Hibs did a straight swap deal with McGinn for Henderson and Allan - would we have to compensate St Mirren for anything, despite no cash being involved?

Hopefully an irrelevant point anyway, as I hope we can keep a hold of McGinn for a season in the premiership, and sign Hendo/Stokes in the summer from our 2017 Scottish Cup winnings, and record-breaking season ticket sales for next year :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ancient hibee
10-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Marc mcNulty is out of contract at Sheffield Utd I think. He is a good big striker and an Edinburgh boy.
If we sell McGinn to Celtic we could get Griffiths and Henderson in return.

I have it on good authority that Griffiths is absolutely desperate to come to us and drop £10K a week.

CMurdoch
10-04-2017, 03:21 PM
I have it on good authority that Griffiths is absolutely desperate to come to us and drop £10K a week.

Griffiths contract at Celtic ends in 2021.
At 10k per week he would lose £2 million in 4 years.
None of us love Hibs that much :greengrin.

worcesterhibby
10-04-2017, 03:35 PM
we need to think outside the box to get quality..

Roope Riski was linked to us about 18 months ago..I think he even trained with us...so we know he would be interested in coming here..Top scorer in the Finnish league last season (17 goals). He is VERY keen to get a move to another league and is currently on loan with a German league 3 side.

Bruno Anderson da Silva Sabino better known as .....Bruninho ! Brazilian Striker playing on loan in Denmark..great goals to games ratio recently and would offer something very different.

blackpoolhibs
10-04-2017, 03:40 PM

He cant play in this league, but he should be able to cut it against better players? :confused:

He's had one or two very decent games, but the majority of his games are poor to very average. He loves a moan and a fall over when challenged, and that's mostly in a position he shouldn't really be in.

A centre forward who rarely scores, and plays out wide or 40 yards from goal is not my idea of a centre forward who's good enough for Hibs. FFS Colin Nish used to get some stick, and from me too, but he was much better than Holt who's been a quality player but those days are well gone.

He might have a future in the wrestling, but if he's our centre forward next season we must either have serious money problems, or Lennon has gone completely mad.

DarlingtonHibee
10-04-2017, 03:44 PM

That made me laugh.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Whichever way you peel and boil it, Holt is a forward that doesn't score. I get the point about what he is meant to bring to the team, but I don't think there is huge amount of evidence where you can say that we have 20 or so goals from other players that are down to him either, in terms of hold-up of the ball or taking men out of the play. A bit like Craig Brewster but without the goals. When we signed Archibald, his positional play was exceptional, but he scored as well. No overly sure that the suggestion that he can take JC under his wing has worked either. Kind of obvious what JC thinks of authority figures. If we signed another forward to play up front with JC, I would rather it was another cocky wee so and so, to spur each other on.

IAmLee
11-04-2017, 11:15 AM
I'd like to see us try and get Moult, only has one year left on his deal so Motherwell shouldn't be too hard to deal with as long as we dont offer a derisory amount. Stevie May would be a good addition on loan but apparently Aberdeen are interested in him so could face competition.

He's not a striker but I wouldnt mind seeing us put in an offer for Lewis Morgan from St Mirren. Pacy tricky winger who isn't afraid to take a man on and shoot. He has a year left but the saints would be due compensation so would take a bit more money to get him.

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 12:06 PM
I'd like to see us try and get Moult, only has one year left on his deal so Motherwell shouldn't be too hard to deal with as long as we dont offer a derisory amount. Stevie May would be a good addition on loan but apparently Aberdeen are interested in him so could face competition.

He's not a striker but I wouldnt mind seeing us put in an offer for Lewis Morgan from St Mirren. Pacy tricky winger who isn't afraid to take a man on and shoot. He has a year left but the saints would be due compensation so would take a bit more money to get him.

Lewis Morgan was badly injured against Ayr a few weeks ago and there were fears he had broken his ankle. However, scans revealed ligament damage with a possibility of playing the last few games of the season. I suspect he won't be able to play again this season but it is good to hear his injury is not career affecting.

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 12:24 PM
If we are to show ambition we should be aiming for players like -

Boyce
Moult
Hendo
Sibbald

and 2 genuine wide players with a end product.

I imagine NL has already started scouting for prospective signings since we are pretty much over the line. But it all comes down to transfer fees, all 4 ive mentioned will need fees. Sibbald/Hnedo development fees. Dont think any of their wages will be an issue.

We are looking to bring in £2.5 million for McGinn. All the above could easily be brought in for that with £1 million left over.

Geo_1875
11-04-2017, 12:36 PM
If we can keep JC I don't think we need another forward. I'd rather have an experienced SPL midfielder who can score as well. That guy Craig at St Johnstone really looks the part.

IAmLee
11-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Lewis Morgan was badly injured against Ayr a few weeks ago and there were fears he had broken his ankle. However, scans revealed ligament damage with a possibility of playing the last few games of the season. I suspect he won't be able to play again this season but it is good to hear his injury is not career affecting.

I'm friendly with someone who seems to be "in the know" at St Mirren and he's been told Lewis might be starting or at least on the bench tonight. I was surprised when he mentioned it, as like you say he was injured only a couple of weeks ago, but I'll be delighted if it's true! He's a very important player for them!

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 02:05 PM
I'm friendly with someone who seems to be "in the know" at St Mirren and he's been told Lewis might be starting or at least on the bench tonight. I was surprised when he mentioned it, as like you say he was injured only a couple of weeks ago, but I'll be delighted if it's true! He's a very important player for them!

Good stuff, I never like any young player to get a bad injury. It can really mess them up long term.

eastcoasthibby
11-04-2017, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=Gaz_1875;5004943]Definitely, I think he would do well in the top league. If you watch him during games he is always encouraging other players and genuinely tries as hard as he can. Guys like that are always good to have in the squad at least.
Sorry I actually have a lot of time for Grant Holt mainly due to his attitude , but in general terms he isn't at the races half the time in this league and it will b even more obvious in the premier ..he may work but isn't quick to actually presurize defenders ..as for having him in a coaching capacity will leave that with NL ..

Aldo
11-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Straight swap - SJM for Leigh??

If this were to happen (hypothetically) would we still have to pay St Mirren a percentage given that it is a swap and not a sale??

BSEJVT
11-04-2017, 06:19 PM
You could probably afford a non scoring striker in a midfield full of goals, if he was responsible for creating many of them by laying the ball off / back.

You cannot afford one who does not create such chances in a midfield that offers a very limited goal threat.

I may have been tempted to keep Holt as a big lump to take the ball in and hold it in a tight game we were playing out time in, but he is huge playing 70 minutes most weeks so lord only knows how big and immobile he would get fulfilling that role.

On that basis I will be hoping he's not here next year.

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 10:07 PM

Didn't play and wasn't on the bench tonight.
Didn't affect his team.

IAmLee
11-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Didn't play and wasn't on the bench tonight.
Didn't affect his team.

Yeah he was apparently close to being on the bench but didnt make it. Not surprised they beat Morton, I thought they were poor on Saturday. Hopefully see him return in some capacity on Sat, although they might not want to risk him on the plastic.

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 10:46 PM
Yeah he was apparently close to being on the bench but didnt make it. Not surprised they beat Morton, I thought they were poor on Saturday. Hopefully see him return in some capacity on Sat, although they might not want to risk him on the plastic.

Watched tonights game on a good periscope stream.
Morton looked really tired and St Mirren bossed them from start to finish.
St Mirren are now 3rd bottom and I can see them taking something from Falkirk on Saturday.
They will be contenders next season if we don't steal Mallen and McGinn/Morgan

IAmLee
12-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Watched tonights game on a good periscope stream.
Morton looked really tired and St Mirren bossed them from start to finish.
St Mirren are now 3rd bottom and I can see them taking something from Falkirk on Saturday.
They will be contenders next season if we don't steal Mallen and McGinn/Morgan

We'll not take all of them haha! Can see McGinn staying with them as he genuinely seems to have a soft spot for them, they'll be hard pushed to hang on to Mallan and possibly Morgan imo. Can see Morgan maybe going to a bigger club in Scotland but I'd imagine Mallan will go down south.

CMurdoch
12-04-2017, 12:39 PM
We'll not take all of them haha! Can see McGinn staying with them as he genuinely seems to have a soft spot for them, they'll be hard pushed to hang on to Mallan and possibly Morgan imo. Can see Morgan maybe going to a bigger club in Scotland but I'd imagine Mallan will go down south.

I meant Mallen plus McGinn or Morgan
Hibs will be a top 6 team next season so would be a good step up for Mallen.
If he did well he might get a better team coming in for him than he would at the moment.
It's worked out for John McGinn who will get a big move in the next 12 months.
St Mirren might fancy a similar deal as that struck for McGinn.

IAmLee
12-04-2017, 01:20 PM
I meant Mallen plus McGinn or Morgan
Hibs will be a top 6 team next season so would be a good step up for Mallen.
If he did well he might get a better team coming in for him than he would at the moment.
It's worked out for John McGinn who will get a big move in the next 12 months.
St Mirren might fancy a similar deal as that struck for McGinn.

Barnsley came in for him in Jan and he was pretty close to leaving, he was gutted when it fell through apparently which is a great testament to his character and professionalism seeing he's played so well since then. I don't know if we could compete with a mid table championship side in terms of wages etc so we'd just need to wait and see. Maybe he'd prefer to take smaller steps.....I'd still prefer Morgan tbh!