PDA

View Full Version : Chris Humphrey

08-04-2017, 03:03 AM
Spoke to him while waiting on a taxi after Dunfy game and he said he will be availible to play v Morton so thats a good replacment for Boyle who is apparently injured. Also noticed John McGinn was hobbling a bit hopefully its nothing. Also spoke to Fraser Fyvie felt really bad for him,my friends Dad was singing "cannot believe its not Scholes" refferring to Fraser and he said "I cant even get a game at Hibs dont think im quite Scholes" i feel he should be given more game time hes one of our better players imo.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
08-04-2017, 03:17 AM
Glad that Chris will be back, could be a key player in closing out the league, gives us something different. I hope Fyvie doesn't really feel that way, a very good player for us IMO, he'll be back in the side soon enough.

08-04-2017, 03:26 AM
Glad that Chris will be back, could be a key player in closing out the league, gives us something different. I hope Fyvie doesn't really feel that way, a very good player for us IMO, he'll be back in the side soon enough.
He did seem genuinley upset tbh, i think it made him a bit more confident when I said to him straight "thing is you should be in the team us fans know it" he played a massive part in the cup win and i would love for him to help us up aswell he deserves game time.

FilipinoHibs
08-04-2017, 04:02 AM
Spoke to him while waiting on a taxi after Dunfy game and he said he will be availible to play v Morton so thats a good replacment for Boyle who is apparently injured. Also noticed John McGinn was hobbling a bit hopefully its nothing. Also spoke to Fraser Fyvie felt really bad for him,my friends Dad was singing "cannot believe its not Scholes" refferring to Fraser and he said "I cant even get a game at Hibs dont think im quite Scholes" i feel he should be given more game time hes one of our better players imo.

Aye when learns how to pass to a Hibs player!

Mantis Toboggan
08-04-2017, 04:31 AM

Ah come on. We should ideally be playing Fyvie ahead of Bartley. As good as Marvin is at the physical side hes a very limited footballer. Looks like Lennon wants us to battle our way to the title though. If it works, fair enough.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2017, 05:28 AM

That's some taxi queue line up!

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2017, 05:30 AM
Ah come on. We should ideally be playing Fyvie ahead of Bartley. As good as Marvin is at the physical side hes a very limited footballer. Looks like Lennon wants us to battle our way to the title though. If it works, fair enough.

Harsh - the boy has been a bit of a mainstay and revalation

SMAXXA
08-04-2017, 05:39 AM
I think FF had been a miss since he's dropped out the team. He's one of these players that his job he does for the TEAM can go unnoticed at times and I really like him as a player. Yes he's had poor games as have everyone in the squad but he's been more good than bad that's for sure but some fans are just unwilling to see the good imo.

Heisenberg
08-04-2017, 05:43 AM
I want us to play McGinn, McGeough and Fyvie together again. Has rarely happened this season but feel it's our strongest midfield.

Booked4Being-Ugly
08-04-2017, 06:16 AM
I want us to play McGinn, McGeough and Fyvie together again. Has rarely happened this season but feel it's our strongest midfield.Me as well, that midfield is a thing of beauty.

AlbertK86
08-04-2017, 06:26 AM

Get a grip ..... when Fyvie plays he has more touches of the ball than anybody else cos he always finds space and makes himself available so naturally will occasionally give the ball away

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Juice-Terry
08-04-2017, 06:31 AM
Fyvie should/would be nowhere near our best starting 11.

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Get a grip ..... when Fyvie plays he has more touches of the ball than anybody else cos he always finds space and makes himself available so naturally will occasionally give the ball away

Spot on, Bartley is a great spoiler but in my opinion we dont need him that much in this league, and Fyvie connects the defence to the attack much better considering the amount of ball we have against these teams.

green day
08-04-2017, 06:41 AM
Spot on, Bartley is a great spoiler but in my opinion we dont need him that much in this league, and Fyvie connects the defence to the attack much better considering the amount of ball we have against these teams.

Yep, every game he plays he is constantly on the move, always looking for the ball.

Classic of Fyvies game is the lead up to the corner for the winner last May - demands the ball, moves it inside, delays, passes to Stekesy and the rest is history.

While I like Marv, he rarely knows what to do when looking forward.

Jones28
08-04-2017, 06:46 AM
FF is one of the best midfielders we have. Mcgeouch, McGinn and Fyvie should be interchangeable and the three of them make up our best midfield.

The Harp Awakes
08-04-2017, 06:58 AM
FF is one of the best midfielders we have. Mcgeouch, McGinn and Fyvie should be interchangeable and the three of them make up our best midfield.

Totally agree. Assuming we get promoted, those 3 playing consistently would be one of the strongest midfields in the league outside Celtic.

Allant1981
08-04-2017, 07:03 AM

well thats just nonsense

Juice-Terry
08-04-2017, 07:15 AM
Fyvie is reasonably good at playing the Bartley role (another reason they should never play together) but his passing is arguably the worst in the squad.

LancsHibs
08-04-2017, 07:19 AM
We are spoiled to have two players of the quality of Bartley & Fyvie in our squad. Either player would walk into the team of any other team in this league and most of the PL

lucky
08-04-2017, 07:24 AM
Fyvie is reasonably good at playing the Bartley role (another reason they should never play together) but his passing is arguably the worst in the squad.

Have you saw Bartley play? Marvs got a role to play but he shouldn't be starting most weeks against teams in this league as he contributes nothing going forward. He's not scored a goal for 9 years!!!

Brooster
08-04-2017, 07:25 AM
Fyvie is the best cdm at the club.....by a country mile.

Allant1981
08-04-2017, 07:28 AM

no its not, you are either not a fan of fyvie or dont really watch him during games

3pm
08-04-2017, 07:29 AM

By a mile? Nah.

FilipinoHibs
08-04-2017, 07:30 AM

Not when he takes the ball under pressure but when on ball with time and tries to make a pass to a Hibs player. In this situation has a high percentage of passes to opponents. His pass success rate must be low.

Scouse Hibee
08-04-2017, 07:39 AM

Agreed.

Brooster
08-04-2017, 07:48 AM
By a mile? Nah.

Who can touch him?

rotherhamrob
08-04-2017, 07:51 AM

Some will agree with you but I suspect there will be far more who disagree,as has been said our best 3 Dylan,Fraser and John are not only the best we have just now but also the best trio we've had for a number of years.

3pm
08-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Who can touch him?

Bartley.

Don't dispute Fyvie is the better technical footballer of the two, but I think there is a debate about which one is the most effective. That's why I disagree he is miles better.

Paisley Hibby
08-04-2017, 07:57 AM

Opinions eh? I think he's one of our best players and will be a regular for us next season in the Premier League.

Onion
08-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Really like Bartley but his strength is dealing with teams that attack us. He's been sensational in our big games in breaking up play, marshaling the midfield and sitting in front of the back 4. But Fyvie is a far better player, better passer and covers more ground. In games where we need to break teams down, FF is the obvious choice.

thebausburst
08-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Thought this was a thread about Chris Humphrey:confused:

Brooster
08-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Bartley.

Don't dispute Fyvie is the better technical footballer of the two, but I think there is a debate about which one is the most effective. That's why I disagree he is miles better.

I respect your opinion as always.....but....Hibs rarely win when Bartley plays. He's a false centre half who offers nothing going forward.

Brightside
08-04-2017, 08:28 AM

Fyvie will need to work hard to get back into Lennon first 11.

Dashing Bob S
08-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Agree that Marv is the spoiler for big games, but Fyvie first on the sheet every game for me.

Back to Humphries - glad 'he's free' of injury.

Brightside
08-04-2017, 08:32 AM

Bartley is very poor at passing - unless its backwards. He;s a spoiler player and as others have said I've no idea why we play him in the majority of games.

The Modfather
08-04-2017, 08:36 AM
I want us to play McGinn, McGeough and Fyvie together again. Has rarely happened this season but feel it's our strongest midfield.

Probably our strongest midfield 3 from the current squad, and 3 good individual players, although I don't rate Fyvie or McGeough as much as most seem to, but not the long term midfield IMO. No goals or assists in that midfield.

3pm
08-04-2017, 08:48 AM
I respect your opinion as always.....but....Hibs rarely win when Bartley plays. He's a false centre half who offers nothing going forward.

I think that's taking it a bit far to say they rarely win. :greengrin

If I memory serves me right, Fyvie has been at Hibs longer than Bartley and has the same number of goals! Can't see there being a huge difference in assists either!

Arguments to be made for both. Anyway, I can't see both of them being there next year, one or the other. :agree:

Edit - Fyvie scored 2 when on loan.

Ozyhibby
08-04-2017, 08:58 AM
I would keep Fyvie. He is a solid SPFL level CDM who is still young and can still improve. Next season we are going to have to be bringing in a few players who add more goals to the team and keeping Fyvie will keep a bit continuity. There may be slightly better available but we run the risk of getting it wrong recruitment wise while we know Fyvie fits in.
Our attention this summer should be all on adding goals to the team and resigning Marciano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
08-04-2017, 09:01 AM

could not agree more...massively overrated by some on here who think they know better than lennon.

wookie70
08-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Glad Humphrey is back as we desperately need width and someone who does anything creative. No idea if he is a decent player as his performances have ranged from excellent to honking with little in between. Fyvie had a poor run of form but for me it is hard to believe a defensive spoiler like Marv has more game time than Fyvie this year. Fyvie is an excellent wee player who runs his socks off and is a very important link man from defense to midfield. Big Marv is solely a defensive player who has a role to play in the squad but that role is not be required in most games we play in this league.

matty_f
08-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Fyvie is a cracking player. He had two or three poor games in a row which was why he was dropped, I think. On his day he's a definite starter, and for me brings more to the team than Bartley.

supermcginn
08-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Opinions eh? I think he's one of our best players and will be a regular for us next season in the Premier League.

He hasn't been picked for weeks in the championship so I very much doubt it, will be gone in the summer

lord bunberry
08-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Almost all our best run of form seems to be when Fyvie is in the team. When he's not playing we always go through a poor run of form like we are now. He should be starting every week for me.

Lancs Harp
08-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Firstly Im glad the Humphrey is fit again and back in contention. He's been a mixed bag so far, but no doubt on his day he can pose a threat, he could be a very useful weapon in our run in to the end of the season.

On the Fyvie/Marv debate, although they often seem to vie for the same place in the team they are very different players to each other and both have lots to offer, both effective at what they do best. The game more than ever is more than being about just 11 players. I would rather stay clear of the OTT remarks such as one player offers nothing or this or that player is c**p etc etc, both of them have given a lot to the cause and been successful with Hibs, Im glad we have both of them in the squad and with horses for courses in mind Im glad (im sure Neil Lennon is too) that we have options.

Having said that I think Fyves form isnt what it has been in the past. A blip Im sure and I hope he buckles down lifts himself and fights for his place back. The form of our midfield as a whole is a topic of conversation and worth a thread of its own. Personally I dont think John McGinn for instance has performed anything like he did last season for us, flashes as oppose to being consistently brilliant, then theres the constast debate about Dylan etc etc. I guess we've got all summer to go over such topics.

Vault Boy
08-04-2017, 09:49 AM

Then you haven't read the OP

To deliver...
08-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Saw Humphrey on Wednesday who was noticeably limping. Would be surprised if we was playing today.

oconnors_strip
08-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Was talking to Humphrey at the sponsors night and asked how he is getting on, he was due to be back training this week but unfortunately both development games were on Astro so he couldn't play. Would be surprised to see him on the bench as he has had no game time this week but on the other hand if Boyle is injured do we just risk it and put him in the squad of 18?

Hibee Mac
08-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Can't help but feel some people here are looking back on fyvie's performances with rose tinted glasses.

He's definitely not a bad player and you certainly can't fault his work rate or "heart", I actually think hes one of the few real leaders in the squad.

However, he slows play down far too much for my liking and his passing ability is definitely lacking when compared to other midfielders.

I hope he comes back next season new and improved but I don't think he's this wonderful player thats going to make our team tick.

MWHIBBIES
08-04-2017, 10:13 AM

Is that the best starting 11 that you'd play in a Scottish cup final perhaps? Because he played 90 minutes and was brilliant.

Do you actually understand what nowhere near means btw? The only players nowhere near our team play for different clubs.

we are hibs
08-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Fyvie is a poor player when left exposed. His decision making is woeful.There's a reason he's been dropped and will probably not be here next season.

Allant1981
08-04-2017, 10:28 AM
Fyvie is a poor player when left exposed. His decision making is woeful.There's a reason he's been dropped and will probably not be here next season.

aye ok

MWHIBBIES
08-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Fyvie is a poor player when left exposed. His decision making is woeful.There's a reason he's been dropped and will probably not be here next season.He'll go somewhere else in Scotland and do very well, his decision making is fine and he is far from a poor player.

Unseen work
08-04-2017, 10:33 AM
I would love to see where this myth of Fyvies passing being terrible has came from.

He retains possession excellently, has superb positional play and drives the team on.

We seem to have been conceeding more goals lately since he dropped out.

I would love to see the stats of who loses possession more out of Fyvie, Mcginn, Bartley, Shinnie and Keats.

I would put a lot of money Fyvie and Bartley lose is the least out of all of them.

They do play simpler passes yes, but some of Mcginns passing is abysmal, he can hit the odd cracker though.

Back to the OP though

Brilliant Chris is back today, hopefully see a run out from the bench.

we are hibs
08-04-2017, 10:37 AM
He'll go somewhere else in Scotland and do very well, his decision making is fine and he is far from a poor player.

Somhe just decides to pass to the opposition 6 times out of 10 aye

Hibs90
08-04-2017, 10:50 AM
McGinn is a better player when playing alongside Fyvie.

Hi Heid Yin
08-04-2017, 10:53 AM
That's some taxi queue line up!

:tee hee::tee hee:

seanoheimhin
08-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Really like Bartley but his strength is dealing with teams that attack us. He's been sensational in our big games in breaking up play, marshaling the midfield and sitting in front of the back 4. But Fyvie is a far better player, better passer and covers more ground. In games where we need to break teams down, FF is the obvious choice.

Completely agree. Love Bartley's commitment and his role in some of our big games, he's a bit of a Park Ji-Sung in that respect. But I don't think there is any way you can doubt that FF is technically a far better player. If we want to play better football and control the midfield rather than being destructive and hard to beat, FF should be the obvious choice.

I understand why he's not been in the team for some games, but confused why he doesn't get much more of a look-in.

NAE NOOKIE
08-04-2017, 11:03 AM

This

seanoheimhin
08-04-2017, 11:03 AM

This

Lancs Harp
08-04-2017, 11:09 AM

Personally I think Dylan McGeough is the key to McGinn playing at his best.

CMurdoch
08-04-2017, 11:16 AM
The contracts of Fyvie, Bartley and Humphrey are up in the summer.
Should make great efforts to sign Fyvie and Bartley but would let Humphrey go as he appears to have lost his extra pace and has injury issues.
Fyvie and Bartley would be important players for us next year and there is always the risk that a big bid could whisk McGinn away overnight

Smartie
08-04-2017, 11:30 AM
could not agree more...massively overrated by some on here who think they know better than lennon.

Lennon has played Fyvie for most of this season, he correctly dropped him when his form dropped off.

I reckon Lennon probably rates Fyvie more highly than most of our fans do, so the ones who think they know better than Lennon are the ones who are saying he's pish.

I'd keep Bartley and Fyvie. It hasn't often worked when they've both been in the team but they are both great at what they do.

A rested Fyvie coming into the side at this stage of the season could be invaluable.

The changes I would make in the summer would all be attacking ones.

MWHIBBIES
08-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Somhe just decides to pass to the opposition 6 times out of 10 aye
You actually think he loses the ball 60% of the time? Are you serious?

neil7908
08-04-2017, 12:15 PM
I think my problem with Fyvie is that he's a good, solid all round competent player but doesnt really excel in any one area. He's a decent tackler but Marv is better. A good passer but Mcgeough is superior. Has an engine but not as good a runner with or with or without the ball as Mcginn.

And he doesn't score many goals.

If I had to describe him in one word it would be tidy. I want to keep him at Easter Road but if we retain our current midfield and add another goalscoring midfielder (my priority IMO) I'm not sure how often he plays.

Ozyhibby
08-04-2017, 12:23 PM
If we let Fyvie go it will be the likes of Aberdeen, St. Johnstone and Hearts that look to pick him up rather than Falkirk, Hamilton etc.
He's a good player and with the other changes we are making I see no sense in risking a change in a position when we don't need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mantis Toboggan
08-04-2017, 09:08 PM
I think my problem with Fyvie is that he's a good, solid all round competent player but doesnt really excel in any one area. He's a decent tackler but Marv is better. A good passer but Mcgeough is superior. Has an engine but not as good a runner with or with or without the ball as Mcginn.

If I had to describe him in one word it would be tidy. I want to keep him at Easter Road but if we retain our current midfield and add another goalscoring midfielder (my priority IMO) I'm not sure how often he plays.

But we need a balanced midfield. Not everyone is there to score goals. Fyvie gives tidiness and commitment which are both essential.

J-C
08-04-2017, 09:13 PM

This from me.

I see Fyvie now as a back up, hes a decent tidy player but not one who's going to take us to another level. The fact he's sitting on the bench every week seems to say it all, I don't think he's good enough to influence a game.

edwards
08-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Also feel Fraser Fyvie should be given a chance in our next two home games Bartley has done a great job but it's time for Fraser to make a return we must now go and finish the job.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2017, 09:52 PM

Hello peeps ;)

Me too. When's he back (sorry was out of tinternet today only just picked ou the score)

BlackSheep
09-04-2017, 07:48 AM
So was this thread based on utter nonsense?

JDHibs
10-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Wonder what our win ratio is with and without him.

Our loss of form last season after January coincided with him being injured and since hes been out the team we have (Started at Utd away)...

Won 2 and drawn 4 games..

FF is a great player to sit deep. Always finds space. Happy on the ball. Drives forward when needed and can pick a good pass! Rather Bartley who can only pass side ways or backwards.

Centre Hawf
10-04-2017, 11:44 AM
I think its no coincidence that since weve moved to a flat 4 with Bartley over Fyvie we've drawn a lot of games. Its very safe. But there is no spark or creativity. Bartley does a job and I do think hes a solid CDM. But like many have alluded to already in this thread there is just absolutely no need for someone like him in this division. We need another player who will be able to play a first time ball into the strikers when they make a run. At the moment it's only McGinn and McGeouch that can do that and even then McGeouch is finding himself out wide which is odd.

I think we'll lose Fraser in the summer if this situation continues like it is and he'll end up back at Aberdeen or something similar and go on to show how good he is.

Borderhibbie76
10-04-2017, 01:27 PM
I think its no coincidence that since weve moved to a flat 4 with Bartley over Fyvie we've drawn a lot of games. Its very safe. But there is no spark or creativity. Bartley does a job and I do think hes a solid CDM. But like many have alluded to already in this thread there is just absolutely no need for someone like him in this division. We need another player who will be able to play a first time ball into the strikers when they make a run. At the moment it's only McGinn and McGeouch that can do that and even then McGeouch is finding himself out wide which is odd.

I think we'll lose Fraser in the summer if this situation continues like it is and he'll end up back at Aberdeen or something similar and go on to show how good he is.
No way would Aberdeen be interested in fyvie mate...I don't get the fyvie love on on here at all...he was woeful for weeks before he was dropped. He is a decent midfielder who creates very little going forward...the same as the majority of our midfielders at present with the exception of Mcginn...sometimes. Fyvie is hugely overrated by some of the Hibs support - makes a lot of errors in games too that sometimes cost us vital.goals

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2017, 01:28 PM
No way would Aberdeen be interested in fyvie mate...I don't get the fyvie love on on here at all...he was woeful for weeks before he was dropped. He is a decent midfielder who creates very little going forward...the same as the majority of our midfielders at present with the exception of Mcginn...sometimes. Fyvie is hugely overrated by some of the Hibs support - makes a lot of errors in games too that sometimes cost us vital.goals

Sent from my SM-G920F using TapatalkSome examples perhaps?

Borderhibbie76
10-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Some examples perhaps?
The one that springs to mind instantly was away to Rangers at Xmas last year when we were 1 nil up.

I've no real dislike of Fraser as I said in my.post he is a decent midfielder but very limited going forward...like the majority of our midfielders hence our current goalscoring issues. So I don't think it would be a massive loss should he move on in summer...we should hold onto either him or Bartley...imo we don't need both.

Springbank
10-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Some examples perhaps?

Hibs v Rangers at Ibroz last season.
He ushered in Jason Holt for Rangers' equaliser, gave the ball away from the kick off, Rangers go 2-1 up, and then (when we had 11 v 10) he ushered Waghorn in for Rangers clincher for 4-2.
l don't mind Fyvie, but I think there is room for improvement there & specifically we need midfielders who hurt the opposition, rather than give a tidy but safe performance.
For those who went to Hibs v Montrose in the league cup last year, when Fyvie was given the lead role in the midfield playmaker role, some might remember us making very heavy weather (only 1-0 up thanks to Scott Martin v the 40th team in Scotland at the time). Then Scott Allan came on, and lifted the quality of the team and how dangerous the attacks were by a good 100%. He won a pen, scored, and suddenly we had balls going forward to runners, different level.
I like Fyvie (I only mention these as you asked for examples) but I'd spend limited resources on Scott Allan first, and safe holding midfielders second.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2017, 01:40 PM
The one that springs to mind instantly was away to Rangers at Xmas last year when we were 1 nil up.

I've no real dislike of Fraser as I said in my.post he is a decent midfielder but very limited going forward...like the majority of our midfielders hence our current goalscoring issues. So I don't think it would be a massive loss should he move on in summer...we should hold onto either him or Bartley...imo we don't need both.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TapatalkSo just the Rangers one then? Only 1 I could think of as well. Not bad considering he has played over 70 games for us.

Quality player who has hit a patch of poor form.

snooky
10-04-2017, 01:40 PM

TBH,I like Fyvie.
As far as I'm concerned all is errors are forgiven by me for his quick thinking and sense of urgency that led to us getting a goal in 90+2 secs last year.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Hibs v Rangers at Ibroz last season.
He ushered in Jason Holt for Rangers' equaliser, gave the ball away from the kick off, Rangers go 2-1 up, and then (when we had 11 v 10) he ushered Waghorn in for Rangers clincher for 4-2.
l don't mind Fyvie, but I think there is room for improvement there & specifically we need midfielders who hurt the opposition, rather than give a tidy but safe performance.
For those who went to Hibs v Montrose in the league cup last year, when Fyvie was given the lead role in the midfield playmaker role, some might remember us making very heavy weather (only 1-0 up thanks to Scott Martin v the 40th team in Scotland at the time). Then Scott Allan came on, and lifted the quality of the team and how dangerous the attacks were by a good 100%. He won a pen, scored, and suddenly we had balls going forward to runners, different level.
I like Fyvie (I only mention these as you asked for examples) but I'd spend limited resources on Scott Allan first, and safe holding midfielders second.A week later we lost to Dumbarton with Scott Allan starting. 9 months later we won the Scottish cup with Fyvie playing brilliantly.

Borderhibbie76
10-04-2017, 01:42 PM
So just the Rangers one then? Only 1 I could think of as well. Not bad considering he has played over 70 games for us.

Quality player who has hit a patch of poor form.
He is very limited going forward and we have enough solid defensive midfielders...we are crying out for much more creativity and I'd let him go...we need to sort the lack.of goals and attacking threat from midfield.

Borderhibbie76
10-04-2017, 01:44 PM
TBH,I like Fyvie.
As far as I'm concerned all is errors are forgiven by me for his quick thinking and sense of urgency that led to us getting a goal in 90+2 secs last year.
I don't dislike him like I said above...but his weakness going forward is a massive issue with our current midfield. Like I say I'd let either of him or Bartley go.in the summer...and personally I think Bartley will be more useful in the Prem than Fraser.

Borderhibbie76
10-04-2017, 01:46 PM
A week later we lost to Dumbarton with Scott Allan starting. 9 months later we won the Scottish cup with Fyvie playing brilliantly.
So what does Fyvie offer us going forward?? And how does keeping him help our current midfield imbalance in your opinion??

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2017, 01:47 PM
He is very limited going forward and we have enough solid defensive midfielders...we are crying out for much more creativity and I'd let him go...we need to sort the lack.of goals and attacking threat from midfield.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TapatalkWho are these solid defensive midfielders? Bartley who can't pass more than 10 yards and who else?

Fyvie is an important part of this squad and we'll miss him big time if we let him go for free. You know it is possible to add creativity without getting rid of Fyvie?

Borderhibbie76
10-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Who are these solid defensive midfielders? Bartley who can't pass more than 10 yards and who else?

Fyvie is an important part of this squad and we'll miss him big time if we let him go for free. You know it is possible to add creativity without getting rid of Fyvie?
Of course it is but he is likely on a decent wage and we may need to let him go to bring in a more forward thinking midfielder...depending in what happens elsewhere in the squad. Chances are he will want away as he isn't getting a game at present and I honestly don't see that changing next season.

superfurryhibby
10-04-2017, 01:53 PM
There is some good debate on this thread. In a way this summarises a lot about the level of footballer Hibs can attract and reflects the diversity of views of how we as fans read a game and a players contribution to it.

I feel Fyvie is a decent player. I like his work-rate, energy and I think he is technically rather good. However, he has some deficits too and his decision making has been poor in some of the examples highlighted, nor does he offer much threat near the goals.

When his abilities are seen in the context of where we are now as a team and where we want to be going, that is when the balance comes down strongly in favour of him being an asset. I reckon he would attract interest from decent premier league teams and that he is as good as any player outside of those at Celtic in his role.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Of course it is but he is likely on a decent wage and we may need to let him go to bring in a more forward thinking midfielder...depending in what happens elsewhere in the squad. Chances are he will want away as he isn't getting a game at present and I honestly don't see that changing next season.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TapatalkHe has been out the team for like 3 weeks and you think he will want away because he isn't getting a game.... come on mate. I'd be extremely worried if we couldn't afford new players without letting first team players go.

Borderhibbie76
10-04-2017, 01:57 PM
He has been out the team for like 3 weeks and you think he will want away because he isn't getting a game.... come on mate. I'd be extremely worried if we couldn't afford new players without letting first team players go.
He's been out the team longer than that mate...last game I remember him starting was Raith away in mid Feb - I don't think he has started a match since...could be wrong? Be interesting to see if lennon plays him this week as Bartley was very poor at weekend - I'd personally like to see Scott Martin get more starts as again I think he is a bit more forward thinking than Fyvie and Bartley

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2017, 02:02 PM
He's been out the team longer than that mate...last game I remember him starting was Raith away in mid Feb - I don't think he has started a match since...could be wrong? Be interesting to see if lennon plays him this week as Bartley was very poor at weekend - I'd personally like to see Scott Martin get more starts as again I think he is a bit more forward thinking than Fyvie and Bartley

Sent from my SM-G920F using TapatalkStarted away at St Mirren just over a month ago. This is the first time he hasn't been an automatic started when fit since joining.

Forward thinking is not what I look for in players like that. Fyvie can pass the ball better than both Martin and Marv, takes the ball off the back 4 better, moves it around and keeps us ticking much better. He walks into our best 11 when on form. Notice the complaints about hoofball go up a lot on here when he isn't playing.

BlackSheep
10-04-2017, 02:14 PM
The contracts of Fyvie, Bartley and Humphrey are up in the summer.
Should make great efforts to sign Fyvie and Bartley but would let Humphrey go as he appears to have lost his extra pace and has injury issues.
Fyvie and Bartley would be important players for us next year and there is always the risk that a big bid could whisk McGinn away overnight

Appears to have lost his pace....and you can tell that from 4 games can you?

And injury issues....? He got injured from a bad challenge and has been recovering since.

Centre Hawf
10-04-2017, 02:17 PM

They've just signed Greg Tansey on a pre contract. If there was an opportunity for them to take Fraser Fyvie in the summer then I am absolutely certain they would at least take a look at it with genuine interest.

J-C
10-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Fyvie is a decent midfielder, he started off as an attacking mid at Aberdeen but when he came to us he's now a defensive one.

He like McGeouch has had injury issues since he came here and and has missed a lot of league games over the 2 full seasons, only 25 last season and 18 thus far this season.

Like McGeouch I feel Fyvie has stuttered in his Hibs career but when he's fit and up to pace he strolls this league just like McGeouch. I remember watching Allan, McGeouch and Fyvie in some matches and their interaction, movement and all round midfield play was at times brilliant. They would take turns dropping deep and going forward, you never knew who was the holder and who was the attacking midfielder.

We have had a very unsettled midfield this season due to injuries and operations to key players, plus Lennon seems t want to play a grinding game by using a target man missing out the midfield altogether.

CMurdoch
10-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Appears to have lost his pace....and you can tell that from 4 games can you?

And injury issues....? He got injured from a bad challenge and has been recovering since.

Humphrey was playing matches for Preston with a shin fracture at the start of last season. Eventually it was diagnosed and he missed the rest of the season. It is possible playing with this injury may have caused other long term issues.

In his 2nd match for Hibs I was in the East with Humphrey playing on the wing immediately below me. He was hooked at half time after showing either an unwillingness or inability to get past the full back time after time. The Humphrey of his Motherwell days would have easily run past the guy.
Hope I am wrong but I suspect there is something wrong. If there is Lennon will know by now.

ALF TUPPER
11-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Humphrey played in development team today. Wonder how he got on ? 🤔

CMurdoch
11-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Humphrey played in development team today. Wonder how he got on ? 🤔
I think he played the first half only. Will be desperate to get back in first team to show what he can do before the end of the season

madhatter
11-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Fyvie is a decent midfielder, he started off as an attacking mid at Aberdeen but when he came to us he's now a defensive one.

He like McGeouch has had injury issues since he came here and and has missed a lot of league games over the 2 full seasons, only 25 last season and 18 thus far this season.

Like McGeouch I feel Fyvie has stuttered in his Hibs career but when he's fit and up to pace he strolls this league just like McGeouch. I remember watching Allan, McGeouch and Fyvie in some matches and their interaction, movement and all round midfield play was at times brilliant. They would take turns dropping deep and going forward, you never knew who was the holder and who was the attacking midfielder.

We have had a very unsettled midfield this season due to injuries and operations to key players, plus Lennon seems t want to play a grinding game by using a target man missing out the midfield altogether.

Didn't know who was the attacking midfielder out of Fyvie, McGeouch and Allan? Pretty sure it was Allan as indicated by his lazy attitude in tracking back.

I understand the sentiment but our midfield regardless of who is playing should stroll this league.

Also, Lennon has already stated that he wants out of this league because the pitches in general are shocking. He has also questioned his recruitment and doesn't always want to play long balls. He's tried to make a more adaptable team and let's be honest if we had Malonga and/or Stokes this season I think we'd be out of sight.

I really miss Malonga - one of the most undervalued players we've had. Oozed class and rather than sprint like a headless chicken he assessed situations and produced some wonderful moments.

If we want to play good football we need more players like that. If we want to play awful football and grind out results we need more Brian Grahams etc. I hope we scout further than ex-SPL players and Patrick Thistle players when we go up. I hope we scout as far as we possibly can.

Unseen work
11-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Fyvie has never been an attacking midfielder.

He has always sat in a relatively deep role.

At Aberdeen he played some games on the right of a 4 in midfield.

Hibee87
11-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Didn't know who was the attacking midfielder out of Fyvie, McGeouch and Allan? Pretty sure it was Allan as indicated by his lazy attitude in tracking back.

I understand the sentiment but our midfield regardless of who is playing should stroll this league.

Also, Lennon has already stated that he wants out of this league because the pitches in general are shocking. He has also questioned his recruitment and doesn't always want to play long balls. He's tried to make a more adaptable team and let's be honest if we had Malonga and/or Stokes this season I think we'd be out of sight.

I really miss Malonga - one of the most undervalued players we've had. Oozed class and rather than sprint like a headless chicken he assessed situations and produced some wonderful moments.

If we want to play good football we need more players like that. If we want to play awful football and grind out results we need more Brian Grahams etc. I hope we scout further than ex-SPL players and Patrick Thistle players when we go up. I hope we scout as far as we possibly can.Coudnt agree more r.e Malonga. Im fascinated at some peoples attitude towards him. Prob the same ones who backed Collins to hilt because he' put in a good shift'

Stevie Reid
11-04-2017, 03:24 PM

If we want to play good football we need more players like that. If we want to play awful football and grind out results we need more Brian Grahams etc. I hope we scout further than ex-SPL players and Patrick Thistle players when we go up. I hope we scout as far as we possibly can.

Fully agree re: Malonga.

As I mentioned in another thread yesterday, Lennon's signing record at Celtic was very good, and over six transfer windows only signed three players from other SPL teams. The likes of Wanyama, Lustig, Van Dijk, Bitton, Johansen and Rogic show that he can look further afield to spot a bargain as well.

J-C
11-04-2017, 03:47 PM

As I mentioned in another thread yesterday, Lennon's signing record at Celtic was very good, and over six transfer windows only signed three players from other SPL teams. The likes of Wanyama, Lustig, Van Dijk, Bitton, Johansen and Rogic show that he can look further afield to spot a bargain as well.

Rather than Lennon looking further afield would it not just be Celtic's scouting system that has a bigger scope to look for players than Hibs have. How many of our scouts are abroad checking out the leagues in Europe etc.

offshorehibby
11-04-2017, 03:48 PM

Remember Lennon had the likes of John Park and a top class recruitment team behind him.

J-C
11-04-2017, 03:51 PM

It was the movement of the 3 I was on about, during games they interchanged quite a lot, one minute Fyvie was deep then he was over on the right, Dylan sat deep then he was further up field, it's the movement I was on about, something lacking in our midfield right now.

ancient hibee
11-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Remember Lennon had the likes of John Park and a top class recruitment team behind him.
I wonder why John Park's been replaced?

CockneyRebel
11-04-2017, 03:54 PM

And he is hugely underrated by many.

Stevie Reid
11-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Rather than Lennon looking further afield would it not just be Celtic's scouting system that has a bigger scope to look for players than Hibs have. How many of our scouts are abroad checking out the leagues in Europe etc.

The size of Celtic's scouting network is obviously a factor, but he still had the final say on whether these guys would be worth signing or not. His signing record was certainly impressive there anyway.

He will know agents personally as well - I think Marciano (arguably his best signing) came from the same Israeli club that Celtic signed Ambrose from.

offshorehibby
11-04-2017, 04:18 PM
I wonder why John Park's been replaced?

They've just brought in a new head of recruitment Lee Congerton, probably something to do with Rodgers wanting his own team around him

madhatter
11-04-2017, 09:13 PM
It was the movement of the 3 I was on about, during games they interchanged quite a lot, one minute Fyvie was deep then he was over on the right, Dylan sat deep then he was further up field, it's the movement I was on about, something lacking in our midfield right now.

Hardly just the midfield, our problem is Boyle, Graham, Cummings, Holt, Keatings don't understand how to play against teams that sit in. Boyle and whoever gets played wide on the other side tend just to stand up top and wait for the ball (easy to mark). Its riskier but they should be doing interchanging runs, coming deep, going long, looking for overlaps, drawing players out of position but instead they hold the defenders hand.

I agree with regards to the midfield being quite static but I honestly think it starts from the front and barring a few games our front line and wide men are so static it is unreal
Boyle is improving but I still don't understand how him and Harris don't know how to best use their pace and how to make runs in behind...I know they are at Hibs but game knowledge seems to be lacking.

Keatings static nature has been summed up perfectly in numerous games this season - he stands waiting for ball and defender pokes leg around him and gets the ball. Run on to the ball (when ball sent in front of your run) or move toward the ball when anticipating a pass in to feet (shield the ball!).

Movement starts from the front, midfielders have limited space if 3-4 players are not moving an inch in front of them. We've not got a skillful player that will take 2-3 players out the game anymore so movement is all we have...

Lago
11-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Hardly just the midfield, our problem is Boyle, Graham, Cummings, Holt, Keatings don't understand how to play against teams that sit in. Boyle and whoever gets played wide on the other side tend just to stand up top and wait for the ball (easy to mark). Its riskier but they should be doing interchanging runs, coming deep, going long, looking for overlaps, drawing players out of position but instead they hold the defenders hand.

I agree with regards to the midfield being quite static but I honestly think it starts from the front and barring a few games our front line and wide men are so static it is unreal
Boyle is improving but I still don't understand how him and Harris don't know how to best use their pace and how to make runs in behind...I know they are at Hibs but game knowledge seems to be lacking.

Keatings static nature has been summed up perfectly in numerous games this season - he stands waiting for ball and defender pokes leg around him and gets the ball. Run on to the ball (when ball sent in front of your run) or move toward the ball when anticipating a pass in to feet (shield the ball!).

Movement starts from the front, midfielders have limited space if 3-4 players are not moving an inch in front of them. We've not got a skillful player that will take 2-3 players out the game anymore so movement is all we have...
Get yourself out to East Mains, they need you.

J-C
11-04-2017, 09:27 PM

I fully agree, my post was about the midfield prior to Allan leaving.

I've sat in the east so many times shouting at the players to have more movement and create space for themselves. Countless times watching Dylan or McGinn look up with no one to pass to as they stand like statues waiting for the ball, so frustrating. Do you think they practice movement or are they just not very good players and don't take it in.

neil7908
11-04-2017, 09:40 PM
They've just signed Greg Tansey on a pre contract. If there was an opportunity for them to take Fraser Fyvie in the summer then I am absolutely certain they would at least take a look at it with genuine interest.

There is an opportunity right now - he's out of contact in the summer and could have signed a pre contract from 1st January.

madhatter
11-04-2017, 09:52 PM
I fully agree, my post was about the midfield prior to Allan leaving.

I've sat in the east so many times shouting at the players to have more movement and create space for themselves. Countless times watching Dylan or McGinn look up with no one to pass to as they stand like statues waiting for the ball, so frustrating. Do you think they practice movement or are they just not very good players and don't take it in.

I think they are at Hibs for a reason. I don't think they are bad players or anything I just think that most Scottish players and fans for that matter view football as being played with your feet and with a ball and that's it.

I know that sounds stupid but I think most players in this country make it in football because of luck and getting breaks. You can make the game much easier by using your brain as proven by Sauzee, Latapy and going further afield Zidane. I don't know what it is but when I was playing football at 15-16 years old I remember making zigzag runs at pace trying to lose my marker at a throw in (this was during training), got the ball played 1-2 passes, got the ball back and scored. Coach stopped the session to make an example to the rest (defenders switched off and just let me waltz through them, my teammates barring 1 who returned the pass back to me switched off). Was my footballing skills brilliant? No furthest I got was an invitation to go down to Manchester following a Man Utd camp held up here (didn't go).

Coaching from a young level in this country is very poor in my opinion. British football actually. Teach the wrong things at the wrong times. Hopefully it is improving but I don't think it can whilst their seems to be a trend of win at all costs and adults slavering on the touchlines. Laziness is common place in British footballers and more so Scottish footballers. Made it = easy street for these guys. Compare how Larsson applied himself to most other players that have played in this country...best player I've seen for application ever. He worked.

Questions that prove coaching is poor here in my eyes - how many Scottish players can comfortably use their "weak" foot for more than standing on? How many times do you watch teams in Scotland (especially Hibs) at throw ins and think "this is a good chance for us here". Concentration levels are abysmal especially for the attacking players, prone to switching off.

J-C
11-04-2017, 11:35 PM
I think they are at Hibs for a reason. I don't think they are bad players or anything I just think that most Scottish players and fans for that matter view football as being played with your feet and with a ball and that's it.

I know that sounds stupid but I think most players in this country make it in football because of luck and getting breaks. You can make the game much easier by using your brain as proven by Sauzee, Latapy and going further afield Zidane. I don't know what it is but when I was playing football at 15-16 years old I remember making zigzag runs at pace trying to lose my marker at a throw in (this was during training), got the ball played 1-2 passes, got the ball back and scored. Coach stopped the session to make an example to the rest (defenders switched off and just let me waltz through them, my teammates barring 1 who returned the pass back to me switched off). Was my footballing skills brilliant? No furthest I got was an invitation to go down to Manchester following a Man Utd camp held up here (didn't go).

Coaching from a young level in this country is very poor in my opinion. British football actually. Teach the wrong things at the wrong times. Hopefully it is improving but I don't think it can whilst their seems to be a trend of win at all costs and adults slavering on the touchlines. Laziness is common place in British footballers and more so Scottish footballers. Made it = easy street for these guys. Compare how Larsson applied himself to most other players that have played in this country...best player I've seen for application ever. He worked.

Questions that prove coaching is poor here in my eyes - how many Scottish players can comfortably use their "weak" foot for more than standing on? How many times do you watch teams in Scotland (especially Hibs) at throw ins and think "this is a good chance for us here". Concentration levels are abysmal especially for the attacking players, prone to switching off.

Can't really argue with any of that :agree:

mjhibby
12-04-2017, 12:01 AM

Couldn't agree more. Call it application,desire,will to win we just don't produce kids like that now. I see very few technically skilled youngsters but loads of running around. Coaches need to spend more time on ball skills and kids need to practise ad nauseum any new skills. There is no substitute hard work and repetition. Cantona stayed behind at training to practice and from there the utd youngsters did the same hence why fergie brought through such a brilliant side. Zlatan is the same who still tries as hard as anybody but his skill gives him space. John Collins was 100% right it telling players they weren't fit enough or practised enough and the players hounded him out. It's never going to change unless the talented kids coming through put in the hours and the practise.im not holding my breath in anticipation.