PDA

View Full Version : Heroes as a youngster

21sMay
07-04-2017, 10:01 PM
I remember as a young boy Darren Jackson was my hero, I would kick a ball off the curb and neighbours wall shouting out his name...scored a goal when playing with my friends and I shouted out his name.

Then came the pivotal point in my youth.....im on holiday in Spain around 9/10 year old and my old man breaks the news to me that Jackson is now a Celtic player. After a few days taking all this is I turn to my dad and say "can I get a Celtic top with Jackson on the back" .....he replied "of course u can BUT I promise you now.. it's not one player you support when we go and watch hibs, its all the players, it's the guys in the dugout, it's the hard-core fans that turn up every week no matter the score...and listen son-- I can't take you to Celtic park to cheer on Celtic. But I'll take you to Easter road were you will have many hero's through your lifetime .

Oh how right my old man could be....... from sauzee to lately to mixu to deek to murphy to beuzy to Griffiths and then on to the man we now call at David Gray !

How life can be so close to being totally different over one man's signature

Bostonhibby
07-04-2017, 10:08 PM
Erich Schaedler . Shades loved Hibs, was hard as nails but could play as well and was a key member of the best Hibs team I've seen. His tackle and run to set up a goal in the 0-7 game is one of my favourite memories of that era.

O'Rourke3
07-04-2017, 10:11 PM
In any order Cropley, O'Rourke or Stanton.

ajf
07-04-2017, 10:13 PM

Only ever had one , paddy .

Mr White
07-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Weir & Wright. Both hibs fans, living the dream and winning us the cup. Pair of legends to me then at age 11 and still now over 25 years later.

weecounty hibby
07-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Des Bremner. Ally McLeod. Arthur Duncan.

Sir David Gray
07-04-2017, 10:19 PM
I remember as a young boy Darren Jackson was my hero, I would kick a ball off the curb and neighbours wall shouting out his name...scored a goal when playing with my friends and I shouted out his name.

Then came the pivotal point in my youth.....im on holiday in Spain around 9/10 year old and my old man breaks the news to me that Jackson is now a Celtic player. After a few days taking all this is I turn to my dad and say "can I get a Celtic top with Jackson on the back" .....he replied "of course u can BUT I promise you now.. it's not one player you support when we go and watch hibs, its all the players, it's the guys in the dugout, it's the hard-core fans that turn up every week no matter the score...and listen son-- I can't take you to Celtic park to cheer on Celtic. But I'll take you to Easter road were you will have many hero's through your lifetime .

Oh how right my old man could be....... from sauzee to lately to mixu to deek to murphy to beuzy to Griffiths and then on to the man we now call at David Gray !

I was exactly the same. I was also a huge fan of Darren Jackson as a young boy and I too was on holiday when I learned of his move to Celtic and I was devastated. I can't recall if I asked for a Celtic top or if I said that I would start supporting them but I was extremely upset about it!

That was back in the days when I naively assumed that no player would ever want to leave after they had signed for Hibs.

Scouse Hibee
07-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Steve Heighway
Kenny Dalglish
Clint Eastwood
Kendo Nagasaki

Eyrie
07-04-2017, 10:30 PM
Kenny Dalglish and Andy Irvine.

SteveHFC
07-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Jarkko Wiss.

hibee
07-04-2017, 10:34 PM
John Collins, wish he had better players around him though. I always thought players got the ball to him then just stood and watched.

Colr
07-04-2017, 10:35 PM

Heroes FFS!

Arthur Duncan.

EricM
07-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Pat McGinlay

Used to love his no nonsense celebrations when he scored

Sheer class

confused
07-04-2017, 10:43 PM

100% the same , loved dozens of players , but Mr Stanton was my god .

Joe6-2
07-04-2017, 10:51 PM

Yep!

Billychaotic182
07-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Tam McManus and Matty Jack

stevie-bee
07-04-2017, 11:08 PM

Heard cropley had another stroke , I think a bad 1

eastmainsmsh
07-04-2017, 11:08 PM
Paul Kane John Collins Keith wright and Steve Archibald 👌

James70
07-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Could only be Denis Law for me being a regular at Old Trafford in the mid 60s.

Vault Boy
07-04-2017, 11:17 PM
Riordan, O'Connor and Zemmama. I remember my dad picking me up at school and telling me that O'Connor had left, I was honestly broken. :greengrin

HibeeMackenzie
07-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Riordan was my first hero, then it was Beuzelin and Benji

poolman
07-04-2017, 11:22 PM
The one and only Denis Law

Jones28
07-04-2017, 11:25 PM
Kenny miller for me, then probably the golden generation after that

snooky
07-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Puskas was my hero as a boy. He went missing during the Hungarian revolution in the fifties then turned up a Real Madrid.
He became a good friend of Jim Baxter, another of my heroes (who was a Hibby at heart).

jgl07
07-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Steve Heighway
Kenny Dalglish
Clint Eastwood
Kendo Nagasaki

I was at school with Steve Heighway at Moseley Hall Grammar School in Cheadle in the early 1960s.

Forza Fred
08-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Jimmy O'Rourke.

Still is.

08-04-2017, 01:07 AM
First hero was Pat Stanton who was replaced, literally, by Jackie McNamara.
Remembering being distraught when Pat left but Jackie quickly won me over.

Two great Hibs men.

08-04-2017, 02:49 AM
My hero was thommo dont know the reason i just always loved him as a bairn

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

heretoday
08-04-2017, 04:04 AM
Peter Cormack. He was quite the star in the sixties with his distinctive running style.
The teachers must have looked out at the playground and thought there was something seriously amiss.
Probably resulted in extra rugby practice!

Mantis Toboggan
08-04-2017, 04:24 AM
Jarkko Wiss.

Im still not as fat as him after 15 years of lager

lyonhibs
08-04-2017, 05:33 AM
Weir and Wright, as it will be most probably for any Hibs fan in their early 30's.

Met Weir at a London Hibs SC a few years ago and was absolutely giddy!!

bingo70
08-04-2017, 06:10 AM
Michael O'Neill for me.

Loved the man

HibbyDave
08-04-2017, 06:58 AM
In the best hibs team I've ever seen it would be Alex Edwards

Tom Hart RIP
08-04-2017, 07:48 AM
Joe McBride snr 58 goals in 91 games.
Then Jimmy Orourke

StevieT
08-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Pat Stanton and Pele

Albanian Hibs
08-04-2017, 07:56 AM

So weird. That is the same as me apart from me wanting a Celtc top! We were flying out on holiday when news broke that Darren signed for them. I was gutted.

rotherhamrob
08-04-2017, 08:01 AM
Des Bremner. Ally McLeod. Arthur Duncan.

Are you my long lost twin? Their mine as well.
I remember being gutted when des bremner left.

DTS
08-04-2017, 08:06 AM
Mixu, O'Connor, riordan and gerrard

southsider
08-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Riordan, O'Connor and Zemmama. I remember my dad picking me up at school and telling me that O'Connor had left, I was honestly broken. :greengrin
I was the same when we sold Colin Stein. Nearly 50 years ago now. OMG i'm getting old. lol

southsider
08-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Joe McBride snr 58 goals in 91 games.
Then Jimmy Orourke
Did Tom Hart not fire Joe and Johnny Graham on the day of a Fairs Cup tie against Liverpool ? If so, anyone know the reason why ?

Wee Effen Bee
08-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Heroes FFS!

Arthur Duncan.

I cant understand it personally, but apostroph's do cause problem's for lot's of people.:cb:wink:

Hibbyradge
08-04-2017, 08:32 AM
I cant understand it personally, but apostroph's do cause problem's for lot's of people.:cb:wink:

I see what you did there. Lots of apostrophes are causing problems, you can't. :grr: :wink:

It does my head in too. The thread title doesn't make sense.

A hero's what as a youngster?

An apostrophe followed by S shows posession;

Colr's irritation.

Hibbyradge's semi final ticket.

It can also be used to signal abbreviation of the word "is";

Rudi Skatchel's a twat.

Ian Cathro's a heavyweight intellectual.

It is never used to make a plural. Never.

I captained a golf team to a tournament victory a few years ago. I named the team after Turbull's great side, but the trophy was engraved "Tornadoe's".

I've never been the same since.

Eric Schaedler.

Baldy Foghorn
08-04-2017, 08:46 AM
John Collins

GordonHFC
08-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Erich Schaedler . Shades loved Hibs, was hard as nails but could play as well and was a key member of the best Hibs team I've seen. His tackle and run to set up a goal in the 0-7 game is one of my favourite memories of that era.

This 100% 😊👍

EH54
08-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Ian Murray was mines was absolutely devastated when he left especially for Rangers

Jim44
08-04-2017, 08:57 AM
The one and only Joe Baker.

BurghHibby
08-04-2017, 08:59 AM
O'Rourke
Schaedler
Best

northstandhibby
08-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Arthur Duncan, Archie, John Collins, Mickey, Keith Wright and the League Cup/Skol Cup winning team. Kenny Dalglish and the Liverpool team of the seventies and early 80s. Ossie Ardiles and the Spurs FA cup winning team 80-81. Sandy Lyle, Nick Faldo, Seve Ballesteros. The Grand Slam winners of 84 and 90.

glory glory

Forza Fred
08-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Did Tom Hart not fire Joe and Johnny Graham on the day of a Fairs Cup tie against Liverpool ? If so, anyone know the reason why ?

There were all sorts of rumours about Johhny Graham and Tom Hart's secretary at the time.

Dunno what happened with Joe McBride but recall a conversation years ago with Then manager Willie
McFarlane who said that Tom Hart phoned him a couple of times before that game, drunk as a skunk, instructing him not to pick Johnny Graham.

Whether that happened or not I don't know, but that is what Willie McFarlane said.

AltheHibby
08-04-2017, 09:23 AM
First hero was Pat Stanton who was replaced, literally, by Jackie McNamara.
Remembering being distraught when Pat left but Jackie quickly won me over.

Two great Hibs men.

Same here. And I was delighted that Pat got his long overdue medals at Celtc.

Having said that, the whole 0-7 team are still my heroes .

Hillsidehibby
08-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Peter Cormack. He was quite the star in the sixties with his distinctive running style.
The teachers must have looked out at the playground and thought there was something seriously amiss.

:agree:

DarlingtonHibee
08-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Pat.

southsider
08-04-2017, 09:47 AM
There were all sorts of rumours about Johhny Graham and Tom Hart's secretary at the time.

Dunno what happened with Joe McBride but recall a conversation years ago with Then manager Willie
McFarlane who said that Tom Hart phoned him a couple of times before that game, drunk as a skunk, instructing him not to pick Johnny Graham.

Whether that happened or not I don't know, but that is what Willie McFarlane said.
Cheers. We played some great football with Willie in charge. Joe replaced my then hero, Colin Stein. Quickly won me over. Always refered to in the press as Hibs chunky striker.

Is It On....
08-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Weir & Wright. Both hibs fans, living the dream and winning us the cup. Pair of legends to me then at age 11 and still now over 25 years later.

Micky was on Off The Ball today. Said he has no involvement in football at all these days which I found a bit sad tbh. Remember him running from the half way line towards the Hibs end at Pittrodrie and clipping the ball in the net. It was first game of the new season after Mercer had been sent packing, we had a cracking away support and everyone went mental. Still have my "these colours will never die" T-Shirt that I wore that day (though it's 3st too small now 🙄)

guthrie01
08-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Darren McGregor

Jim44
08-04-2017, 08:16 PM

No chance of rugby practice at David Kilpatrick's.

Ginger Gehagan
08-04-2017, 08:46 PM
The one and only David farrell.

Is It On....
08-04-2017, 09:40 PM
The one and only David farrell.

"Farrell, Farrel break some bones"

Haymaker
08-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Michael O'Neil then Franck Sauzee for Hibs.

Maldini, Klinsmann and Gabriel Batistuta.

DH1875
09-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Michael O'Neil then Franck Sauzee for Hibs.

Maldini, Klinsmann and Gabriel Batistuta.

Hibs wise my first was super Joe Tortolano. Must have been something to do with the super Joe song or something. Also liked Jim Leighton and Keith Wright growing up.

All time hero's though are Jose Miguel Gonzalez Martin del Campo (AKA Michel) Fernando Hierro and for some strange reason I had a thing for Bebeto. Remember running about in a Deportivo shirt with his name on it as a kid despite being Real daft :confused:.

Haymaker
09-04-2017, 12:31 AM
Hibs wise my first was super Joe Tortolano. Must have been something to do with the super Joe song or something. Also liked Jim Leighton and Keith Wright growing up.

All time hero's though are Jose Miguel Gonzalez Martin del Campo (AKA Michel) Fernando Hierro and for some strange reason I had a thing for Bebeto. Remember running about in a Deportivo shirt with his name on it as a kid despite being Real daft :confused:.

Bebeto was awesome.

norwayhibs
09-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Erich Schaedler.

bigwheel
09-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Alan Gordon ...still recall practising that one arm raised salute after scoring a goal in my back "green". !

YehButNoBut
09-04-2017, 09:05 AM
John Blackley because I played in the same position in school & youth football.

Also loved Edwards & Stanton

Hibrandenburg
09-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Pat Stanton had already achieved "God" status when I first started watching Hibs so I couldn't list him as a hero. Loved Ally McLeod and although he looked like he'd spent too much time in Greggs, you couldn't help but feel magic was about to happen when he got the ball and started rolling towards the opposition's box.

Stantons Angel
09-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Pat Stanton will always be my No1 hero for the sheer fact that he is the most inspirational player i have seen in a Hibs jersey. The man could do anything and did it with sheer class and dignity!

I was only 12 first time i saw him and he was just a gangly young footballer but his talent shone out for all to see.

The day he was pushed out of Easter Road i will never forget being so upset at losing him to Celtic.

Some 40yrs later he is still my No1 hero and still has the class and dignity becoming of a HIBS LEGEND!

Oh if we had his class of player in that team today....... we'd have won that league months ago!

Ryan91
09-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Sauzee

hibby67
09-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Has to be Pat Stanton and Arthur Duncan
but always had soft spot for Tony Higgins and Benny Brazil

ErinGoBraghHFC
09-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Riordan, Murphy, Zemmama... was heartbroken when Deek left (both times:no way:), Murphy genuinely one of the best players I've seen at Easter Road and definitely the best left back, never forget his goal at Ibrox to keep us unbeaten in the league. Zemmama was a wee ***** to play against I'd imagine

emerald green
09-04-2017, 11:31 AM
At Hibs, all the Tornadoes, but especially Shades & Pat.

Elsewhere, the great George Best in his pomp at Manchester United;

Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool;

Johan Cruyff at Ajax.

Earlydelivery
09-04-2017, 11:33 AM
The king

cmcd
09-04-2017, 08:13 PM
The one and only Willie Hamilton CLASS

Mainstandman
09-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Keith wright

Tinribs
09-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Jim McArthur and Arthur Duncan.

Canon Hannan
10-04-2017, 06:11 AM
Jackie McNamara 80s classy defender for us. Plus Tony Higgins and Bobby Thompson.

StevieCowan
10-04-2017, 06:31 AM
Stevie Cowan :wink:

Newry Hibs
10-04-2017, 07:56 AM
David Webb. Chelsea. As a really young lad I supported Chelsea. Didn't even know he scored the cup final winner (or maybe I didn't know I knew). God knows why him out of a pretty talented Chelsea team.

Keith_M
10-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Easy one, Pat Stanton.

I don't know of any Hibby at my primary school (and there were a lot of Hibbies) that didn't consider Pat as their favourite player.

snooky
10-04-2017, 08:08 AM
My Hibs heroes will forever be Jimmy & Pat. I just loved watching the Tornados.

NB - I should point out that I certainly was no youngster when I watched them.

Hiber-nation
10-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Peter Marinello in primary school days. Then John Brownlie.

FilipinoHibs
10-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Mickey Weir - not quite as a youngster but was the first player to really set ER a light since the Tornadoes. When he went to Luton I was heartbroken. I have a booming voice and used to lead the "He's there....". He would look at my spot on the terracing when I kicked off the song and smile. Whenever I pass him now he smiles and our memories go back to his glory years. A real gent and good guy.

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-04-2017, 11:54 AM
John MacNamee :agree:

ErinGoBraghHFC
10-04-2017, 01:26 PM
A real gent and good guy. 100% back this up, met him at Hampden a few years ago and was more than willing for a chat and a picture, sound guy:agree:

glenn6270
10-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Paddy stanton

marleyhib
10-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Authur Duncan

Best, Socrates, Dalglish

bigwheel
10-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Authur Duncan

Best, Socrates, Dalglish

i wonder if those 4 have ever been in the same list before! :greengrin

beensaidbefore
10-04-2017, 06:23 PM
Daniel Larusso!

silverhibee
10-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Arthur Duncan Alex Edwards & the supersub from Liverpool.

coco22
10-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Keith, Keith, Keith, Keith....(plus Collins and McGinlay)

belhavenbill
10-04-2017, 07:41 PM
John Baxter or Joe Davis.

bigwheel
10-04-2017, 07:43 PM
John Baxter or Joe Davis.

I have an original 50s match shirt worn by Joe Davis. - beautiful item [emoji106]

hibby6270
10-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Pat Stanton. End off!!

edwards
10-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Pat Stanton and Jimmy Greaves down south

Dunbar Hibee
10-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Pat McGinlay.

Scott Allan Key
11-04-2017, 12:39 AM
Almost certainly Keith, Keith, Keith. So instrumental in the first trophy I ever saw Hibs win and a classy forward I'd love to see the like of again at Hibs.

Other heroes? Dalglish, Maradona, and Pele. Today, for historical context, my hero is Lawrie Reilly.

houstonhibbee
11-04-2017, 01:29 AM
Peter Marinello and Peter Cormack for me..........

devastated when they left..............

Marinello was the scottish George Best

Ardenttwo
11-04-2017, 05:35 AM
Im still not as fat as him after 15 years of lager

Willie Hamilton. Eusebio

KeithTheHibby
11-04-2017, 06:10 AM
Kenny Dalglish for Scotland and John Collins for Hibs.

Big_Franck
11-04-2017, 07:03 AM
Michael O'Neill, Darren Jackson (****) and Pat McGinlay as a kid and Franck Sauzee as a teenager. I'm still hoping Michael O'Neill manages us one day.

Craig_HFC
11-04-2017, 07:28 AM
Hibs: Sauzee, Latapy, Murphy (Murph a bit later on)

General: Dennis Bergkamp

Oscar T Grouch
11-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Wasn't into football as a kid. My heroes were Barry Sheen, James Hunt and Evel Knievel. I liked motorbikes and fast cars. Much more appealing than football. Oh how times have changed, I'm obsessed with football and can't watch F1 anymore 😂

dunedinhibs
11-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Zitelli, met him after we beat rangers 1-0 at Easter road. He was a great guy, I would have been about 8 or so and he got me a ball and got the team to sign it! I still have it. Latapy was one of my favourites at that time too.

Hibrandenburg
11-04-2017, 10:08 AM
Easy one, Pat Stanton.

I don't know of any Hibby at my primary school (and there were a lot of Hibbies) that didn't consider Pat as their favourite player.

He wasn't a player, he was a God and therefore excluded from this poll.

HibeeDave
11-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Willie Irvine
Calum Milne

brog
11-04-2017, 10:26 AM
The one and only Joe Baker.

Can't believe this is only mention so far for Joe! 55+ years on I'm still upset about him leaving for Torino! ( probably more reflects demographics of this board ) I'm probably a bit blase about Pat & Jimmy having been friends with them since schooldays but I can assure you both of them would vote for Joe. Strangely I believe both of them also would vote for Crops as their favourite Tornado.

CockneyRebel
11-04-2017, 12:22 PM
David Murphy, Kenny Samson and Ian Wright