PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup Prize Money

green&left
06-04-2017, 11:04 AM
Anyone read the Record article on the prize money for the Scottish and League Cups?

Winners of...
Betfred League Cup: £200,000
William Hill Scottish Cup: £114,000

English Checkatrade Cup (Challenge Cup equivilent): £228,000 plus

So much for the League Cup being the diddy one! And how the hell is the English equivilent of the Irn-Bru trophy paying more than our main cup competition!?

This year's William Hill Scottish Cup winners are set to land a prize worth little more than half of that given to Celtic for lifting the Betfred Cup back in November.

The Hoops landed £200,000 for beating Aberdeen but the victors in next month's Hampden showpiece will take home just £114,000.

That's only £14,000 more than the Dons received for coming runners-up to the Hoops in the first final of the Scottish season.

The figures, obtained by Record Sport Online, call into question the League Cup's reputation as the poor relation of the oldest trophy in world football.

READ MORE
Scottish Cup winners will earn less than HALF the prize money handed out to Checkatrade Trophy champs Coventry City
We told yesterday how the prize money for the side which emerges victorious in the country's premier cup competition is less than half of that which was picked up by Coventry at the weekend for winning the Checkatrade Trophy - English football's third ranked cup contest.

Now we can reveal that the prize awaiting either Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen or Hibs in next month's showpiece final is less than the Betfred Cup.

For winning the May 27 final the champions will be awarded £60,000. That will be on top of a cumulative £54,000 for winning through each of the previous four rounds.

For the Betfred Cup Final - in which Celtic beat Aberdeen 3-0 - the prize was £200,000 for the winner and £100,000 for the runners-up.

The semi-finals of the Scottish Cup take place later this month, with Hibs and Aberdeen going head-to-head before rivals Celtic and Rangers do battle.

The winners of those fixtures will meet on May 27.

BETFRED LEAGUE CUP PRIZE MONEY BREAKDOWN:

1st round group stage - 5th - £15,000

1st round group stage - 4th - £17,000

1st round group stage - 3rd - £19,000

1st round group stage - 2nd - £23,000

2nd round-loser - £30,000

Quarter Final loser - £50,000

Semi Final loser £70,000

Runners-Up - £100,000

Winner - £200,000

TOTAL PRIZEMONEY - £1,380,000

WILLIAM HILL SCOTTISH CUP PRIZEMONEY BREAKDOWN:

Former Hibs boss Alan Stubbs with the Scottish Cup (Photo: SNS)
Clubs playing in the 1st Preliminary Round (10 clubs) - £2,000

Clubs playing in the 2nd Preliminary Round (12 clubs) - £2,000

Clubs playing in Round One (36 clubs) - £2,000

Clubs playing in Round Two (32 clubs) - £4,000

Clubs playing in Round Three (32 clubs) - £6,000

Clubs playing in Round Four (32 clubs) - £9,000

Clubs playing in Round Five (16 clubs) - £12,000

Clubs Playing in Round Six (8 clubs) - £15,000

Semi-Finalist Clubs (4 clubs) - £18,000

Loser of the Final Tie will receive - £30,000

Winner of the Final Tie will receive - £60,000

TOTAL PRIZEMONEY: £1,198,000

Since90+2
06-04-2017, 11:25 AM
I would imagine that the squad as a whole will be on a win bonus that totals more than £114,000.

lord bunberry
06-04-2017, 12:49 PM
On those figures hearts have benefited to the tune of 12k for their heroic campaign in this season competition. No wonder they're throwing money around on players and new stands. God help us if they ever get to the latter stages.

SirDavidsNapper
06-04-2017, 01:56 PM
On those figures hearts have benefited to the tune of 12k for their heroic campaign in this season competition. No wonder they're throwing money around on players and new stands. God help us if they ever get to the latter stages.

More chance of a manager of the month award for Cathro

Eyrie
06-04-2017, 07:08 PM

He's a shoe in for mangler of the month.

Jack Hackett
06-04-2017, 07:27 PM

Hasn't he won it yet? I'd have thought the 'future of Scottish Football' would be running out of award polish by now :dunno:

GreenLake
06-04-2017, 07:35 PM
I wonder what level of catering, entertainment and travel expenses the executives award to themselves at the SFA? I doubt they are as thrifty when it comes to looking after the beakery.

Bristolhibby
06-04-2017, 07:37 PM
The prestige is worth more than that. Probably why they can get away with such a paltry prize.

J

monktonharp
06-04-2017, 07:56 PM
The prestige is worth more than that. Probably why they can get away with such a paltry prize.

Jwell, the prestige has grand for Hibernian, but it took them months to spell out the plans for clothing, strips all sorts

Craig_in_Prague
07-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Given that Celtic and Aberdeen will rightly be favourites in the semi-finals and they played in the LC final already; brought me to think has that ever happened in Scottish football, the 2 same sides in both finals in the same season? Even the Old Firm? Hibs v Celtic (70's)??

SeanWilson
07-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Why does this not surprise me in the slightest? How on earth the folk at the top remain in a job is beyond me. We're an absolute laughing stock.

mjhibby
07-04-2017, 12:24 PM
I would imagine that the squad as a whole will be on a win bonus that totals more than £114,000.

I'm sure I remember rod Petrie saying we don't make as money as you would think from cup runs due to generous bonuses. Hence we only made£200,000 profit last season. It was around £150,000 for the squad to share a few years ago probably £200,000 now.

Jack Hackett
07-04-2017, 12:46 PM
I don't think those figures reflect the share of the gate money...which I believe are pooled for the semi's and shared for the final?

Billy Whizz
07-04-2017, 01:43 PM
I don't think those figures reflect the share of the gate money...which I believe are pooled for the semi's and shared for the final?

Or TV money from Sky/BBC

hibbysam
07-04-2017, 01:48 PM

It's the prize money, nothing to do with gate receipts or TV money. Still begs the question though, why a club receives more from one televised game, than the winners of the competition receive. William Hill must be getting away with murder in their Sponsorship deal.

derekHFC
07-04-2017, 01:59 PM
The TV money is as below and you also get 40% of the gate for every round you play in.

For the semi, the two games get their money pooled together and I think after 20% is deducted for the SFA, the four clubs get a 20% share of the rest

Rounds Four to Six

Broadcasters are entitled to select three initial matches and two replays, in total, for each of these rounds.

Live Matches:-

Clubs, in Rounds Four to Six, participating in a live BSkyB or BBC match, will each receive £82,500 (eighty two thousand five hundred pounds) whether an initial match or replay.

BBC Highlights Coverage:-

A total of £130,000 (one hundred and thirty thousand pounds) per round will be distributed and allocated to all clubs featured in the main edited highlights coverage on BBC on a pro-rata basis to the televised highlight time shown.

Semi-Final Matches:-

For the Semi-Final matches:

BskyB can select both matches for live coverage at £240,000 (two hundred and forty thousand pounds) each and BBC can select one match for live coverage at £240,000 (two hundred and forty thousand pounds)

Additionally, £130,000 (one hundred and thirty thousand pounds) is allocated for BBC highlights coverage of the matches

These sums, which total £850,000 (eight hundred and fifty thousand pounds), are allocated to the pool whether or not the matches are broadcast.

Final Match

For the final match in the competition a total of £596,000 (five hundred and ninety six thousand pounds) will be allocated in respect of both live transmission and highlights coverage by BSkyB and BBC.

RADIO

Preliminary Round to Round Six

Each club featured in live match commentary on BBC Radio Scotland or BBC Radio 5 will be allocated a total of £2,000 (two thousand pounds).

Semi-Final Matches

A total of £4,000 (four thousand pounds) will be allocated to the Semi-Final pool for each live match commentary on BBC Radio Scotland or BBC Radio 5.

Final Match

For the Final match £10,000 (ten thousand pounds) will be allocated if there is live commentary on BBC Radio Scotland. If there is live commentary on BBC Radio 5
£15,000 (fifteen thousand pounds) will be allocated.

HibernianJK
07-04-2017, 02:12 PM

Sure gate money is split equally all the way through the tournament.