PDA

View Full Version : How perfect was it

Navids Numpties
06-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Reading the article about Kevin Dabrowski and how he was talking about the cup final. Made me realise how perfect the cup final actually unfolded. Quote taken from the EEN.

“Back home in Poland, I’d also watch a lot of British football. I saw Hibs in the Scottish Cup, I watched the story unfolding.“I remember Paul Hanlon’s last-minute goal against Hearts, and then the next game at Easter Road, Hibs winning against their biggest rivals and then the semi-final and Conrad Logan’s fairytale having come to the club just before it. The fans probably didn’t know him although obviously the management must have.

“And then there was the final itself, having David Gray, the captain, score the winning goal in the last minute just seemed to be destiny. It was just a beautiful story.”

If anyone said that at the start of last season I would have told them to put the pipe down. Some story that.

calumhibee1
06-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Reading the article about Kevin Dabrowski and how he was talking about the cup final. Made me realise how perfect the cup final actually unfolded. Quote taken from the EEN.

“Back home in Poland, I’d also watch a lot of British football. I saw Hibs in the Scottish Cup, I watched the story unfolding.“I remember Paul Hanlon’s last-minute goal against Hearts, and then the next game at Easter Road, Hibs winning against their biggest rivals and then the semi-final and Conrad Logan’s fairytale having come to the club just before it. The fans probably didn’t know him although obviously the management must have.

“And then there was the final itself, having David Gray, the captain, score the winning goal in the last minute just seemed to be destiny. It was just a beautiful story.”

If anyone said that at the start of last season I would have told them to put the pipe down. Some story that.

Every moment of the whole thing was perfect, in a weird way. It was an absolute roller coaster of a season, all the highs of being 2-0 down and coming back to draw away from home against Hearts, which was unheard of for a Hibs side in recent times, beating Dundee United in the SC semi, beating St Johnstone in the LC Semi, then the lows of losing the LC final with the last kick of the ball when we should have won it, losing the play off game against Falkirk undeservedly with the last kick of the ball after a horrendous refereeing performance in the first leg... To then have the high of going 1-0 up early doors, to the low of going 2-1 down and thinking here we go again. To the equaliser.. At which point I just knew we were going to win it. Waiting for that winning goal to come felt like an absolute eternity, but I knew it was coming. Then watching a 92nd minute winner from your captain of all people end 114 years of hurt against the most detestable team in the country. The parade in the Sunshine On Leith the next day with 150,000 Hibees. I literally don't think there's anything that could have made it any better.

Navids Numpties
06-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Every moment of the whole thing was perfect, in a weird way. It was an absolute roller coaster of a season, all the highs of being 2-0 down and coming back to draw away from home against Hearts, which was unheard of for a Hibs side in recent times, beating Dundee United in the SC semi, beating St Johnstone in the LC Semi, then the lows of losing the LC final with the last kick of the ball when we should have won it, losing the play off game against Falkirk undeservedly with the last kick of the ball after a horrendous refereeing performance in the first leg... To then have the high of going 1-0 up early doors, to the low of going 2-1 down and thinking here we go again. To the equaliser.. At which point I just knew we were going to win it. Waiting for that winning goal to come felt like an absolute eternity, but I knew it was coming. Then watching a 92nd minute winner from your captain of all people end 114 years of hurt against the most detestable team in the country. The parade in the Sunshine On Leith the next day with 150,000 Hibees. I literally don't think there's anything that could have made it any better.

Unbelievable season.

Craig_in_Prague
06-04-2017, 10:05 AM

going up to Inverness in the replay days after losing the LC final as well... not many Hibs sides would have won up there after that.

I also had a very positive feeling that when we made it 2.2 in the final, that we were going on to win. I thought Stokes was going to skin his man then bury it, however the winning goal was delivered just moments later :)

Amazing day. Will last a life time in our minds.

1van Sprou7e
06-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Yeah it was strange, as soon as the equaliser went in I had absolutely no doubt we were going to win it

calumhibee1
06-04-2017, 10:56 AM
going up to Inverness in the replay days after losing the LC final as well... not many Hibs sides would have won up there after that.

I also had a very positive feeling that when we made it 2.2 in the final, that we were going on to win. I thought Stokes was going to skin his man then bury it, however the winning goal was delivered just moments later :)

Amazing day. Will last a life time in our minds.

Actually forgot we went up there. Showed incredible bottle and will to win to come away with a victory from the Inverness replay.

ancient hibee
06-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Inverness was a great result.The best result of all was Rangers beating Celtic because from then on I knew we were no worse than 50/50 in the final.

Austinho
06-04-2017, 02:39 PM
And I undertook one of the furthest journeys on planet Earth - travelling from Wanaka, south New Zealand to surprise my dad the night before the match. For us to actually go on and win it was an absolute fairytale.

Then to be able to find him in the stand after the pitch invasion (I couldn't get a ticket in the same stand as him) just in time to sing Sunshine on Leith together - it really was something out of a story book.

Thecat23
06-04-2017, 02:42 PM
And I undertook one of the furthest journeys on planet Earth - travelling from Wanaka, south New Zealand to surprise my dad the night before the match. For us to actually go on and win it was an absolute fairytale.

Then to be able to find him in the stand after the pitch invasion (I couldn't get a ticket in the same stand as him) just in time to sing Sunshine on Leith together - it really was something out of a story book.

That's brilliant, love reading stories like this.

Col2
06-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Wonderful story. And one that will never be forgotten. Superb.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Pure genius...

https://vimeo.com/168483051

Colr
06-04-2017, 08:59 PM

Someone should make a movie!

Viva_Palmeiras
06-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Someone should make a movie!

Robert Duvall made the wrong movie...

Seveno
06-04-2017, 09:05 PM

That is a wonderful and touching story.

Sir David Gray
06-04-2017, 09:11 PM
The greatest match I'll ever attend in my entire life.

I think that sums it up.

Glory Lurker
06-04-2017, 09:34 PM
losing the play off game against Falkirk undeservedly with the last kick of the ball after a horrendous refereeing performance in the first leg... .

I hadn't thought of that game for ages until I read this. My thought process was: second game was at Falkirk, which meant..... we finished third in the league?? I could not have told you that. One hell of a lot of anguish at the end of the league season totally forgotten thanks to SDG's baldy heid.

monktonharp
06-04-2017, 09:38 PM

Then to be able to find him in the stand after the pitch invasion (I couldn't get a ticket in the same stand as him) just in time to sing Sunshine on Leith together - it really was something out of a story book.that is the stuff of dreams mate, and well done:aok: we all had our own moments, mines being next to one of my sons when we won it. I had actually spoke to John Doolan about losing the League cup and he said , we should have won it, but we are not coming back without the Scottish cup mate, his words. I had actually went to the toilet and missed our equaliser, just like big Stubbsy, and at that point I then believed that day was ours at long last.the best day ever and washed away all the pain we had in Hampden over the years

Sir David Gray
06-04-2017, 09:41 PM
I hadn't thought of that game for ages until I read this. My thought process was: second game was at Falkirk, which meant..... we finished third in the league?? I could not have told you that. One hell of a lot of anguish at the end of the league season totally forgotten thanks to SDG's baldy heid.

That was one of the worst feelings I've had following a match.

As many of you will know, I stay in Falkirk so I took that defeat quite badly as I hate losing to them. I was back in the house by about 10pm that Friday night (the game had only finished at about 9:30pm!) and I was in my bed by about 10:30pm. I barely said a word to anyone on my way home and just went quietly to my bed. Even the day after, I felt so down.

Then when I came back home on the Saturday, from a trip into town, my cup final tickets were waiting for me at the back of the door. I honestly felt like chucking them away.

Fortunately I decided not to in the end. :greengrin

The Spaceman
06-04-2017, 09:42 PM
A defining moment in our clubs history that will live on for eternity.

Will never be beaten.

PatHead
06-04-2017, 09:44 PM
Pure genius...

Love it. Still brings a year to my eye

oldbutdim
06-04-2017, 10:06 PM
Glad the missus has gone to bed.
She gets annoyed when I cry watching Hibs videos.

Or trying to open a jar of pickled onions, or looking at my bank statement.

oldbutdim
06-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Winning the cup was better than any pickled onion.
No matter the number of cheese cubes.

I'm not going to discuss my bank statement online.
Not again.

The number of Nigerians that I was related to.

All dead.

It's a jinx. I'm not mentioning it again.

sleeping giant
06-04-2017, 10:30 PM
Pure genius...

Aw man

The Pointer
06-04-2017, 11:06 PM
Pure genius...

Please don't. I'm off again.

Craig_in_Prague
07-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Right, that's it. Time for Heroes is getting a watch tomorrow morning. Not watched it since Xmas holidays.

IWasThere2016
07-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Right, that's it. Time for Heroes is getting a watch tomorrow morning. Not watched it since Xmas holidays.

:bitchy: Part-timer! :wink:

mjhibby
07-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Inverness was a great result.The best result of all was Rangers beating Celtic because from then on I knew we were no worse than 50/50 in the final.

Watched the sevco Celtic game with my Jambo pal and at the final whistle he said a rude word followed by hibs will win the cup as rangers are mince. He reminded me of this after the final whistle on the glorious day. Pity his tipping is mince apart from the one that mattered.

mjhibby
07-04-2017, 09:50 AM
If Roberts didn't miss the sitter of all Sitters it could have been oh so different. Will be an even more amazing story as the years roll on plus the affect the cup win has had on both sides of Edinburgh.

Kato
07-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Beautiful.

Yuillsy
07-04-2017, 01:09 PM
Pure genius...

Almost a year on and it still gives me goosebumps and makes my eyes watery!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
07-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Just unspeakably perfect. It had every single bubblegum Hollywood cliche in there. There'll never be as feel good a moment in football, ever.

Craig_in_Prague
07-04-2017, 08:00 PM
:bitchy: Part-timer! :wink:

Watching it now ;)

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Have a watch of the last two minutes of this Monday comings ep of Criminal Minds (S12 Ep16), the character is talking about the Chicago Cubs but, could just as easily be Hibs!

calumhibee1
07-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Almost a year on and it still gives me goosebumps and makes my eyes watery!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Likewise. The david gray goal literally takes my breath away every time I see it.