PDA

View Full Version : Jim Duffy column in the Sun today

Fizz
05-04-2017, 11:13 AM
Had decided to boycott this rag but wanted to see what he had to say re last week. Unfortunately I'm a techno phobe so can't cut and paste but looks like he wants to take the sting out of this weekends game and it read like a total Hibs ar*e lick, couldn't say enough good things - hmm 😏

Winston Ingram
05-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Had decided to boycott this rag but wanted to see what he had to say re last week. Unfortunately I'm a techno phobe so can't cut and paste but looks like he wants to take the sting out of this weekends game and it read like a total Hibs ar*e lick, couldn't say enough good things - hmm 😏

Here it is...

With Hibs coming to Cappielow on Saturday, I genuinely hope all everyone concentrates on is the football.

For the fans of both clubs I want nothing more than a cracking match.

Back your team, sure, but remember it’s only a game — albeit an important one.

Nobody should get distracted by some of the things that have been said leading up to the game.

I don’t think anything that went on at the end of our game last week will affect the players in the slightest.

The fans might see it differently once the game kicks off.

But for me I would far rather everyone concentrated on making the day all about the football.

I’m not playing in the game, and neither is Lenny.

So we really have nothing to do with what happens on the pitch.

I just want it to be 90 minutes which befits two of the Championships’ top teams.

Hibs are going to win the division, it’s only a matter of time, and when they do they will deserve to go up to the Premiership as champions.

Hibs have been far and away the best team in the league.

Our job this weekend is doing all we can to throw a spanner in the works and delay that.

I’m just thrilled that my Morton team is considered as one of their challengers at this stage of the season.

For us it’s about cementing our place in the play-offs so it’s a huge game.

When we played last week it was a very keenly contested match between both teams. Our challenge is to make it the same at Cappielow.

Hibs have so much quality that we will need to be at our very best to have any chance of getting a positive result.

Particularly in their front area they have so much quality with different options and permutations.

Jason Cummings is a maverick-type player I love to watch.

On his day he can be outstanding. And he’s a goalscorer.

But he’s not the only Hibs player with real quality.

While we need to try and combat that, we also need to try and play our own game too.

Until now it’s been a really good season for us.

When we started last August I didn’t really make any firm targets because it was hard to know what to expect.

I made what I felt were good signings, but as a manager you simply don’t know how they are going to click.

What I have always felt about any of my teams is they are competitive and organised.

That’s what we have been right throughout the season. We’ve got players who know their job in the team.

We’ve had a lot of injuries to key players, but one of the most pleasing aspects of how well we’ve done is how we’ve been able to cope with that.

We haven’t got the same resources as a club like Hibs. They have been able to bring in the likes of Kris Commons, Efe Ambrose, Chris Humphrey and Andrew Shinnie.

When we had everybody fit and healthy I felt confident we’d do OK.

But to still be in the top four in April — considering we’ve lost guys like Gavin Gunning, Gary Oliver and Jai Quitongo — has been hugely encouraging for me as Morton boss. I’ve had to shift various players around to cope with things, and their response has been brilliant.

We’ve had to adapt because quite simply there is no high-level alternative I could turn to.

I’ve had players who have moved positions to their own detriment, but their attitude typified the team spirit we have.

And we are still in with a chance of winning promotion.

Before we played Hibs last week Lennon stated he had two massive games coming up against Falkirk and Morton.

It struck me at the time as a huge compliment to our players and how well they have done.

But this is another massive game, and I’m delighted we are involved in a pivotal match in the title race.

Above everything that happened last week, and will be talked about, that’s what I’m focusing on.

snooky
05-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Had decided to boycott this rag but wanted to see what he had to say re last week. Unfortunately I'm a techno phobe so can't cut and paste but looks like he wants to take the sting out of this weekends game and it read like a total Hibs ar*e lick, couldn't say enough good things - hmm ��

He's actually stuck between a rock and a hard place. Slams us and he's an ers, praises us and he's sucking up.
Mind you, I think yon helicopter ride's still got his heid in a spin. :flying:

Springbank
05-04-2017, 11:41 AM
i think it's a pretty well said piece to be honest
complimentary to Hibs, while praising his team (who are admirable on their day) for punching above their weight this season.
all in all, fair, balanced and well deserved for both sides in my view

Onion
05-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Back your team, sure, but remember it’s only a game — albeit an important one.

A warning to fans to behave, which is a bit rich when the only folk disgracing themselves the last time where.. HIS No 9 (twice), Duffy himself, HIS Assistant, HIS players and Lennon. Hibs fans behaved impeccably, yet there has been no mention of this despite the antics going on the field. Had this been Sevco, apparently, their fans would have been expected to jump onto the pitch to defend their players.

Can only hope Hibs deal with Morton in the proper way, by putting them in their place.

Broken Gnome
05-04-2017, 11:42 AM
I too love watching our front area where we have so much quality with different options and permutations.

Not beginning a Hibs dig thread I stress.

monktonharp
05-04-2017, 11:56 AM
complimentary to Hibs, while praising his team (who are admirable on their day) for punching above their weight this season.
all in all, fair, balanced and well deserved for both sides in my view:agree:

Smartie
05-04-2017, 12:25 PM
For a guy who got us relegated I've never really minded Duffy.

He was a young manager who tried his best but made a pig's ear of it when he was with us.

He was drawn into a "red mist" situation the other night and has since tried to diffuse the situation.

It's a decent article and the right thing to do in this situation.

Diclonius
05-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Correct response. Fair enough.

Can't help but think Lennon will be creating a siege mentality though. Duffy will be aware and is trying to defuse it.

lucky
05-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Fair article in a rag which for me says more about Duff Jim than his pretend hard man act last week

lapsedhibee
05-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Here it is...

Jim Duffy is an absolute ******* ******* who knows **** all. The Championships' top teams are Hibs and Brighton. Hibs and Morton are The Championship's top teams. ****** *****. :bitchy:

O'Rourke3
05-04-2017, 01:16 PM

He was a young manager who tried his best but made a pig's ear of it when he was with us.

He was drawn into a "red mist" situation the other night and has since tried to diffuse the situation.

I'd challenge the drawn in since he created it before the ref had dealt with the situation. If Lenny had a history of running on to the pitch and kicking sack out of opposition players then fair enough but I don't believe he does. The ref and linesmen can deal with players pushing and shoving. When the opposition manager causes a side incident then all bets are off.

Biggie
05-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Awe, it's ****ing 'Lenny' now is it ?......was the hibs manager a few days ago.......sook

Alex Trager
05-04-2017, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't mind them coming up to be honest

Roxyhibee
05-04-2017, 01:30 PM

He absolutely wasn't 'drawn' into anything - from a few feet away, he watched one of his players deliberately trying to significantly injure one of ours, then completely feign injury to get another one if our players sent off. He then went aggressively flying toward our protesting manager looking to defend what had just happened.

Total w***er.

- And who is he calling "Lenny"...?

Smartie
05-04-2017, 01:38 PM
I'd challenge the drawn in since he created it before the ref had dealt with the situation. If Lenny had a history of running on to the pitch and kicking sack out of opposition players then fair enough but I don't believe he does. The ref and linesmen can deal with players pushing and shoving. When the opposition manager causes a side incident then all bets are off.

In the cold light of day, when you sit down and analyse it, of course you're right.

Duffy doesn't really have a track record of getting involved in these incidents.

From his perspective he'll have seen his player make a heavy tackle, he'll see the Hibs manager (rightly or wrongly) having a go at his player whilst all the Hibs players run towards the scene.

He's got himself involved, instinct will have seen him want to defend his player in the heat of the moment and he has reacted to a scenario with a bit of red mist, a reaction that he can't justify and probably won't even try to.

O'Rourke3
05-04-2017, 01:43 PM
In the cold light of day, when you sit down and analyse it, of course you're right.

Duffy doesn't really have a track record of getting involved in these incidents.

From his perspective he'll have seen his player make a heavy tackle, he'll see the Hibs manager (rightly or wrongly) having a go at his player whilst all the Hibs players run towards the scene.

He's got himself involved, instinct will have seen him want to defend his player in the heat of the moment and he has reacted to a scenario with a bit of red mist, a reaction that he can't justify and probably won't even try to.

Indeed. What's going to get on my goat is our manager who started the sq root of sod all is the one to whom the book will be thrown.

Sweet Left Peg
05-04-2017, 01:45 PM
There's no way that he's telling his Morton players that they are playing for second place. He'll be telling them to get stuck in, fight for everything and beat Hibs to put some real pressure on us. The article reeks of attempted mind games ahead of Saturday.

guthrie01
05-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Could be trying to settle things down for the hearing, which would be the best outcome for both parties if they moved on and hope the SFA is feeling lenient. Hope Lennon does the same

pacoluna
05-04-2017, 02:31 PM
still no apology to Forster for the leg crunching tackle or condemnation of his player for both the tackle and his pathetic antics. Disgrace

Booked4Being-Ugly
05-04-2017, 02:43 PM
Do people actually think this is Duff Jimmy's private thoughts that are printed in the Hun?

**** the ugly *******.

Dashing Bob S
05-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Sound sensible and fair comments. People do lose the rag in the heat of the moment, and one would imagine that NL and JD are big enough to put it behind them. Most fans are too, other than use the incident for a bit of a performative sporting wind up.

blackpoolhibs
05-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Been in Duff Jimmys company quite a bit, especially in Tenerife. He is tea total, but quite a nice guy really. He won't talk about his time at Hibs but apart from us he's carved out a decent career player and manager. Always shakes his head when I mention his tenure at Easter road, and I always mention that bloody draw at tynecastle that gave him more time 😭

Mantis Toboggan
05-04-2017, 04:44 PM
Although this was obviously ghostwritten its the right sentiment and hopefully thats the end of it (apart from the DM red being rescinded)

Mantis Toboggan
05-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Been in Duff Jimmys company quite a bit, especially in Tenerife. He is tea total, but quite a nice guy really. He won't talk about his time at Hibs but apart from us he's carved out a decent career player and manager. Always shakes his head when I mention his tenure at Easter road, and I always mention that bloody draw at tynecastle that gave him more time 😭

Made even worse by the key role in said draw played by professional ******** Andy Walker

emerald green
05-04-2017, 04:47 PM
I don't buy any of Duffy's load of bull**** for a single second.

05-04-2017, 04:58 PM

Agree. His antics the other week were embarrassing, he and his staff should have been nowhere near the hibs technical area. Lennon lost the head but it was HIM who was being confronted and he has just witnesses the Morton no9 first put in a horrific challenge on one of his players and then do the most pathetic play acting in an attempt to get another one of his players sent off. It's not hard to see why he was so angry.

Fair enough to Duffy though, he's trying to defuse the situation and has given hibs credit. Unlike some managers in this league *cough cough* Houston, who would rather slit their wrists than give any sort of credit to hibs and continue to hold bitter grudges. No win situation for Duffy with some people really, he comes out blasting hibs then he gets pelters for being bitter, a **** stirrer etc, he praises people he's a suck up.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-04-2017, 06:07 PM
Decent enough comments. Close the story down. Better than the half wit garbage of serial hanger on Cheeky Chico Charnley.

pacorosssco
05-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Imagine hed said his players actions in tackle were poor and after his behavoir towards hibs staff regretable. Hell deal inhouse with his player and hopes to rebuild a working respect with Neil Lennon the Hibs manager. He made a mistake in heat of moment and has brought unfair action on Lennon as a result. Hes glad Foster not seriously injured and Morton wont give up trying to claw Hibs back but no matter what proud of players results over season given resources and injuries.

Hi Heid Yin
05-04-2017, 06:12 PM

I concur.
A well written and fair assessment by Duffy.

Colr
05-04-2017, 06:15 PM

I minded him.

He came in thinking he had this gold dust talent to be recruited from the 1st Division who then suceeded in dragging us right into the 1st Division.

BullsCloseHibs
05-04-2017, 06:20 PM
2017 and people STILL buy this piece of ****?

ancient hibee
05-04-2017, 06:22 PM
Fair assessment of what exactly? Anyone who didn't know what the fuss has been about wouldn't learn anything from that article.I'm sure that Hibs will zoom in on the fact that the SFA charges describe all the aggression between the managers as taking place in Hibs technical area.Only one manager was entitled to be there.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-04-2017, 06:43 PM

I think you'll find no punches were thrown ;)

Lago
05-04-2017, 07:12 PM
I think you'll find no punches were thrown ;)
Well.....maybe 5 or 6 or 8 or 9:greengrin

Paisley Hibby
05-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Do people actually think this is Duff Jimmy's private thoughts that are printed in the Hun?

**** the ugly *******.

Exactly. Duff Jimmy is a classless fud; there's no way those are his his thoughts/words. The piece would have been written by whoever does PR for Morton and then possibly edited a wee bit by The Hun "newspaper".

OxoHibby
05-04-2017, 09:04 PM

This. **** happened last week in the heat of the moment move on. What he says about Hibs is true and how we are viewed in this division as the big scalp