PDA

View Full Version : Hibs always in East @ Dumpden ?

BullsCloseHibs
04-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Why are we always given the East and never the West Stand (unless we play Celtic)?

(not that it matters much, but why?)

Ozyhibby
04-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Why are we always given the East and never the West Stand (unless we play Celtic)?

(not that it matters much, but why?)

Easier to get us out and away at the end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffers
04-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Sums up Scottish football when two of the teams have their "own" ends at the national stadium. If the east is easier for us then we should be given it when we play Celtic too. And don't get me started on the fact the split means you could play one team away 3 times or home three times unless of course it's the Old Firm who are guaranteed to have two home games each when they play against one another.

hibee_95
04-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Does it make a difference? Personally prefer the east with easier access

DarrenSQH
04-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Happy to have the David Gray end for good now.

Enough said
04-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Interesting post. I had some business colleagues over from the states last week. I decided to book them a tour of hampden seeing our recent cup win was a big delight to them. When the hampden tour guide took us through the museum and out to the park the first thing she said was "This is the Celtic end and this is the rangers send" I then asked I didn't realise it was both there stadiums , here reply was "These 2 clubs are her the most and have always had these ends" couldn't believe what I was hearing.

GreenCastle
04-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Interesting post. I had some business colleagues over from the states last week. I decided to book them a tour of hampden seeing our recent cup win was a big delight to them. When the hampden tour guide took us through the museum and out to the park the first thing she said was "This is the Celtic end and this is the rangers send" I then asked I didn't realise it was both there stadiums , here reply was "These 2 clubs are her the most and have always had these ends" couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I would complain about that - absolute farce if an official Hampden tour guide.

Ozyhibby
04-04-2017, 11:06 AM

The dressing rooms are always the same for the old firm as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thegreenside
04-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Does this same sort of thing happen at Wembley for Man Utd etc. This sums up the sfa for you tho

TAHibby
04-04-2017, 11:18 AM

Went on the tour probably about 10 years ago, spouted the exact same old firm pish then as well

lyonhibs
04-04-2017, 11:19 AM
This may be an urban myth, but the reason there's a difference is that when Hampden was being "renovated" a while back the SFA asked both OF teams to contribute to the costs. Only Rangers ponied up so they got what was then the covered end.

Smartie
04-04-2017, 11:20 AM
It's surely about time the East end of Hampden was re-named the Hibs end?

Vini1875
04-04-2017, 11:21 AM
We don't always get the east end. As for rangers and celtic being at Hampden more often, that was only true with the old rangers last century. I am sure only celtic have been at Hampden more often than Hibs this century. So maybe they need to think about a Hibs end and celtic end.

BullsCloseHibs
04-04-2017, 11:32 AM
We don't always get the east end. As for rangers and celtic being at Hampden more often, that was only true with the old rangers last century. I am sure only celtic have been at Hampden more often than Hibs this century. So maybe they need to think about a Hibs end and celtic end.

We get East almost ALWAYS.

Skol cup final east

Vs Livy east

Vs Hertz east

Vs Huns east

Vs Dons (semi) east

And on and on......

So how come it'll be easier for us in the forthcoming semi to get to the East than Aberdeen fans?

Waxy
04-04-2017, 11:37 AM
I remember being in the west for a SC semi 2-1 loss to Dundee utd around ten/twelve years ago.

04-04-2017, 11:43 AM
I remember being in the west for a SC semi 2-1 loss to Dundee utd around ten/twelve years ago.

We were in the west when de boer missed his pen I think.

Blaster
04-04-2017, 11:44 AM
This may be an urban myth, but the reason there's a difference is that when Hampden was being "renovated" a while back the SFA asked both OF teams to contribute to the costs. Only Rangers ponied up so they got what was then the covered end.

That's the story I heard too

Hiber-nation
04-04-2017, 11:49 AM
We were in the west when de boer missed his pen I think.

Definitely East that night.

We were in the West for the semi v the Arabs in 2005 and the semi v Livi in 2001.

Real Emerald
04-04-2017, 12:01 PM
The old firm are usually involved at Hampden at some point in most seasons and many of their 'fans' have bought debenture seats to guarantee them a ticket. Given their seats will be in one or other halfs of the South stand it would make sense to keep their ends the same each time otherwise you'd be sitting them with the opposition fans 😊. It just seems daft to get fans from Edinburgh travelling all the way through Glasgow and back again when there's a slip road off the new motorway within walking distance. Kind of sums up Scottish football though.

IWasThere2016
04-04-2017, 12:18 PM
FTR, I loathe Hampden - and Glasgow more so.

That is all.

SirDavidsNapper
04-04-2017, 12:19 PM
I actually prefer the David Gray and but Celtic and Rangers having their own end is exactly what is wrong with football in this country. Celtic are a Glasgow club so shouldn't make a difference if they are in the West side of Hampden when playing us. They won't be though against us or Aberdeen. Now we've won the Scottish cup at Hampden the sooner they flatten it and move to Murrayfeild the better.

monarch
04-04-2017, 12:32 PM
I think there's thinly veiled sectarian issues at work in this scenario.

In the eyes of the west coast dominated administrators we're seen as Celtic's cousins while Hearts are similarly related to Rangers. So we get the East while Hearts get the West.

Pathetic, I know, but it's the weegie mindset we're talking about here.

For what it's worth I'm all for referring to the East as the David Gray end from now on.

RIP
04-04-2017, 04:15 PM
I think there's thinly veiled sectarian issues at work in this scenario. In the eyes of the west coast dominated administrators we're seen as Celtic's cousins while Hearts are similarly related to Rangers. So we get the East while Hearts get the West.

Pathetic, I know, but it's the weegie mindset we're talking about here.

Back in the Seventies we used to share the same end with the 'Tic - did we not. Anyone remember the 'stoor' and Export cans fu' o' pish?

Hibs07p
04-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Back in the Seventies we used to share the same end with the 'Tic - did we not. Anyone remember the 'stoor' and Export cans fu' o' pish?

That was pre segregation though, macarooon bars, spearmint chewin' gum days.:greengrin

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Craigmount Hibs
04-04-2017, 04:53 PM
Definitely East that night.

We were in the West for the semi v the Arabs in 2005 and the semi v Livi in 2001.

And in the west stand for the league cup semi final game against Ayr in 2002.

stantonhibby
04-04-2017, 04:56 PM

Don't remind me!

sadtom
04-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Like another poster said. I think that the reason for this has its roots in sectarianism.

It would appear (that with the very infrequent occasion) celtc always get the east. We always get the east except against celtc. And Dundee utd (i'm told - again with the odd exception) always get the east unless its celtc or Hibernian.

It's not such a big deal now but back before Hampdumps redevelopment. Then those no good uppity taig types could stand in the open uncovered end and deal with the elements.
Not only that but i believe it handed the other team an advantage. Covered ends are much louder, so if there is any truth to the notion that a team can be roared onto success then it would be fair to say the team who's fans were in the covered end were given an advantage.
Its an irrelevance now i suppose. And no doubt the SFA would deny any claims of previous sectarianism and just suggest it was 'traditional'. (Aye...'traditional' like those 'folk bands' who stagger about the central belt of Scotland throughout the summer).

04-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Does this same sort of thing happen at Wembley for Man Utd etc. This sums up the sfa for you tho

Agreed. Only 2 clubs they are bothered about, everybody else is just there to make up the numbers as far as their concerned.

NAE NOOKIE
04-04-2017, 05:14 PM
I'm happy to be in the east because its the only one of the three ordinary stands where you can get out for a fag at half time :greengrin

That aside there's no doubt whatsoever that we are given the Sir David Gray end because in the eyes of the SFA that's the non lodge end .... sad but true IMO.

Hiber-nation
04-04-2017, 05:18 PM

Forgot about that....didn't actually go through.

DH1875
04-04-2017, 06:36 PM
East is best :agree:

heretoday
04-04-2017, 06:41 PM

I do. I got hit by a nip glass.

gordonced18
04-04-2017, 06:46 PM
The only end associated with The Rangers these days is bellend. We had all of the stands when we played Dunfermline in a semi final replay..... Unfortunately we only had about 1,000 in each

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

OxoHibby
04-04-2017, 08:00 PM
We get East almost ALWAYS.

Skol cup final east

Vs Livy east

Vs Hertz east

Vs Huns east

Vs Dons (semi) east

And on and on......

So how come it'll be easier for us in the forthcoming semi to get to the East than Aberdeen fans?

Or easier than hertz when it come to that. Total bs. For the final to prove there is no bias the sea should put Celtic in the west against us. Like that would hapoen

wandering_hibee
04-04-2017, 08:21 PM
We were in the same as Celtic supporters in the 73 cup final. I remember getting smacked in the mouth at the end by an upset Celtic fan, didn't worry me as it was the first time that I had seen us win a major cup ( I am sure that this was after the first time that we won the Dryburgh cup)