PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton 0 Hibs 2 1999 (promotion)

2belhaven
03-04-2017, 01:04 PM
18 years to the day on 3rd April 1999. I recall invading the pitch at the final whistle. Nobody was subsequently tracked down by the police !
A double from latapty missing out on a hat trick with a penalty saved. Good memories

https://youtu.be/YfCKguT3fAM

2belhaven
03-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Cant get link to work but its there on you tube. Great goals by Latapy. Game was played at Firhill

Bristolhibby
03-04-2017, 01:21 PM
I had to work that weekend so couldn't make it up. My Dad and brother were at the game, (and were both on the pitch at FT).

No fights or arrests. Shaun Dennis reduced to his jock strap though by all accounts as he gave away every stitch of clothing to fans.

J

Hiber-nation
03-04-2017, 01:25 PM
We took a big crowd through to Firrhill although we weren't expected to win it that day. We had to win and rely on Morton beating Falkirk against the odds which they did.

HIBERNIAN-0762
03-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Latapy the magician

:not worth

Craig_in_Prague
03-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Remember it quite well, which is strange, as often I can barely remember 2 days ago :)

Just Jimmy
03-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Remember the tannoy? "Hibs fans must not enter the field at the whistle"

Right then...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
03-04-2017, 02:49 PM
We took a big crowd through to Firrhill although we weren't expected to win it that day. We had to win and rely on Morton beating Falkirk against the odds which they did.

Was it not cowdenbeath?

Keith Wright scored the goal.

CathroMustStay
03-04-2017, 02:53 PM
2:22

Us singing YNWA?

Pretty Boy
03-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Great day. Proper old school as well with the Falkirk result being shouted out by guys with radios to their ear.

Hiber-nation
03-04-2017, 03:27 PM
Was it not cowdenbeath?

Keith Wright scored the goal.

Definitely Falkirk 2 Morton 3. Yeah I'm sure Keith did score.

SteveHFC
03-04-2017, 03:28 PM
2:22

Us singing YNWA?

Sure we sung it when we won 6-2 also and throughout the 90s.

Nakedmanoncrack
03-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Was a memorable day, after a dodgy start including losing to Stranraer, it was never in doubt, and we came back up with a lot of momentum. I, along with most people was on the pitch.

Keith_M
03-04-2017, 05:36 PM
I was there with my kids and waited roughly ten minutes for the pitch invaders to leave the pitch, presuming the team would do a lap of honour.

Pretty Boy
03-04-2017, 05:40 PM
I was there with my kids and waited roughly ten minutes for the pitch invaders to leave the pitch, presuming the team would do a lap of honour.

If memory serves me correctly the team were allowed back out after the pitch cleared. Sure I remember them coming out with the 'Back....' t shirts on.

03-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Clubs all over the country have had pitch invasions. The difference with ours was the huns and their snivelling wee pals in the media stirred it up as much as possible to deflect from the real story of the day - their beloved rangers blew a lead in the cup final.

Please though, if (when) we win the league, STAY OFF THE PITCH. We don't need any more negative headlines.

lugz
03-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Clubs all over the country have had pitch invasions. The difference with ours was the huns and their snivelling wee pals in the media stirred it up as much as possible to deflect from the real story of the day - their beloved rangers blew a lead in the cup final.

Please though, if (when) we win the league, STAY OFF THE PITCH. We don't need any more negative headlines.

I feel like a pitch invasion is inevitable with some of our fan base and once the first few go the rest will follow. I think we'll win the league at home so hopefully the message can be put across loud and clear.

Keith_M
03-04-2017, 06:15 PM
If memory serves me correctly the team were allowed back out after the pitch cleared. Sure I remember them coming out with the 'Back....' t shirts on.

They eventually did, yes, but I had two small kids and they were well bored of waiting by the time we left.

Not being able to foretell the future, it was impossible to know how long it would take to get the pitch cleared.

Jonnyboy
03-04-2017, 09:14 PM
I remember that game so well. During the invasion, I was part of a large circle of fans dancing and singing "Mixu Paatelainen, what a $%&ing signing" which was all the better because Mixu was part of the circle and was singing at the top of his voice :greengrin

hibby6270
03-04-2017, 09:30 PM
Only time I've "invaded the pitch" after a game and at 40 year old at the time, felt a bit embarrassed. Don't know why though. The team did come back out to acknowledge the fans. Thinking back, if was 21/5/16 on a much smaller scale with none of the follow up crap trying to hunt us all down.

Knew there was half a chance we could win the title that afternoon depending on results but as I recall it was actually expected we'd win it the next again week at Raith. That turned into a Championes celebration. Beat them easily 3-0.

Happy days.

Gregor
03-04-2017, 10:12 PM
I remember that game so well. During the invasion, I was part of a large circle of fans dancing and singing "Mixu Paatelainen, what a $%&ing signing" which was all the better because Mixu was part of the circle and was singing at the top of his voice :greengrin

I recall having a good chuckle as Simon Wallace patiently explained to one of the stewards that there was absolutely no chance of him, or the rest of the main stand not entering the pitch at full time and that he should simply accept it was going to happen. To be fair, they offered no resistance and the "invasion" was terribly civilised (women and children first ; "No, after you!").

Question is John - if you were on the pitch and I was on the pitch, who was doing the on-line commentary?

monktonharp
04-04-2017, 01:06 AM
Great day. Proper old school as well with the Falkirk result being shouted out by guys with radios to their ear.:ts tsk:old school was the wireless :wink: yer Ma would tell you that:wink:

Forza Fred
04-04-2017, 01:07 AM
I recall having a good chuckle as Simon Wallace patiently explained to one of the stewards that there was absolutely no chance of him, or the rest of the main stand not entering the pitch at full time and that he should simply accept it was going to happen. To be fair, they offered no resistance and the "invasion" was terribly civilised (women and children first ; "No, after you!").

Question is John - if you were on the pitch and I was on the pitch, who was doing the on-line commentary?

Serious question.....what does invading the pitch do for anyone?

Never tried it myself you see, and not sure what I may have been missing out on.

monktonharp
04-04-2017, 01:18 AM
I feel like a pitch invasion is inevitable with some of our fan base and once the first few go the rest will follow. I think we'll win the league at home so hopefully the message can be put across loud and clear. I too recall that day and I was 45 years old, and told by a steward that we were not going on the park. just laughed as we breezed past him at the end of the match and met an old friend (respectable councillor at the centre circle) that day.If we win the Scottish again, I might just do it again for the fun of it:na na:

lugz
04-04-2017, 06:39 AM
I too recall that day and I was 45 years old, and told by a steward that we were not going on the park. just laughed as we breezed past him at the end of the match and met an old friend (respectable councillor at the centre circle) that day.If we win the Scottish again, I might just do it again for the fun of it:na na:

I was only 12 at that game and my uncles said not to run on the pitch they looked away for 2 secs and I was off haha.

Tom Hart RIP
04-04-2017, 06:57 AM
I still have a small piece of the turf from that day plus the programme signed by Russell.

frazeHFC
04-04-2017, 09:33 AM

Never tried it myself you see, and not sure what I may have been missing out on.

I think the cup final for me it was just being able to run about like a headless chicken hugging the players. Will never forget it!

Gregor
04-04-2017, 09:57 AM

IIRC it was less of an invasion and more of a saunter. Folk just wandered onto the turf. Myself and the wife had no intention, but then everybody else was doing it. I think there was an assumption that the players would pop out and we'd miss something. It was also quite amusing to bump into folk wandering about the park doing the same thing. Felt right at the time. Wouldn't have done it at Hampden though.

Interesting to note that last year the majority of folk never ventured past the half-way line (and this is long before the polis and stewards came onto the park) ; a pretty fair acknowledgement of where the boundaries lay. Sadly, a few rockets got involved and it all went to s^&*.

Baker9
04-04-2017, 10:06 AM
18 years to the day on 3rd April 1999. I recall invading the pitch at the final whistle. Nobody was subsequently tracked down by the police !
A double from latapty missing out on a hat trick with a penalty saved. Good memories

https://youtu.be/YfCKguT3fAM

The pitch invasion spoiled the celebrations for me that day. Just saying.