PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Hampden

West lower
02-04-2017, 11:26 PM
With all the roadworks on the M8 / M74, I was thinking of taking the A71 from Edinburgh, and then up to Hampden via East Kilbride. Have never gone this way before, so was wondering if this is a decent idea ? Any other suggestions appreciated .:flag:

ekhibee
03-04-2017, 12:28 AM
With all the roadworks on the M8 / M74, I was thinking of taking the A71 from Edinburgh, and then up to Hampden via East Kilbride. Have never gone this way before, so was wondering if this is a decent idea ? Any other suggestions appreciated .:flag:
I stay in EK, The A71 adds a good bit to your journey, but you'll get there alright. When you get to East Kilbride, just drive straight through it; the main road is known as the Queensway. Eventually you'll see McDonalds on your left, just go straight on till you leave East Kilbride. EK has lots of roundabouts by the way, but just drive straight on through all of them. About a mile after you've left East Kilbride you'll get to another roundabout. If you drive straight on you go to Busby but you need to go right instead and just follow the road right to the end (there's a wee mini roundabout about half a mile along but just go through it) until you come to the top of Castlemilk. Take a left at the roundabout there and just follow the road straight down. It looks like a dual carriageway but it's actually a 30mph speed limit and the cops hang around there so be careful. Go straight through the roundabout at the bottom of the hill and drive straight on until you come to a fork in the road (just before it there's a church on your left and the entrance to the Linn Crematorium on your right). You want to take the right fork, that's the beginning of Aitkenhead Road and your almost at Hampden, if you drive on a wee bit you'll see it on your left hand side, but you might want to find somewhere to park around there first.

Phew! Hope that helps anyway!

hibs0666
03-04-2017, 06:14 AM

Another way would be to come off the M8 at the Bellshill turn off. The M74 underpass us now open making it a doddle to get up to East Kilbride. That means you would miss the majority of the roadworks.

lucky
03-04-2017, 07:25 AM

The roadworks are fine, it might add 5/10 minutes on to your journey if that. It takes longer from Leith to Newbridge than it does from Newbridge to Glasgow.

BoomtownHibees
03-04-2017, 07:42 AM
There's a diversion on the A71 at West Calder as it's closed. That would add a bit of time to your journey as well

West lower
03-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. Especially Ekhibee for going to incredible detail. It is very much appreciated.