PDA

View Full Version : This season vs last season

SChibs
02-04-2017, 07:29 PM
There has been a lot said about how we are a poorer team this season than last and it got me thinking. The team itself May be slightly worse off than last year but there's an argument they are probably doing better.

Last spring we lost 4 games in a row but this year I'm not sure if we'll lose that all season. We are much harder to beat this year which means we'll pick up draws when maybe we'd have been beaten in the past.

Lennon has also gave us something stubbs couldn't. A good start. The 5 wins at the start of the season are now priceless and has really gave us a good platform to win this league. Falkirk are now paying for their slow start as we did the past 2 seasons.

The football may not be great right now but I'd have taken promotion as champions at the start of the season and it looks like that's what it will be

Sir David Gray
02-04-2017, 07:37 PM
We've got one more point than we did at the same stage last season and five more than the year before so there has been slight progress.

The biggest difference this season is that we don't have any rival that's of the standard of Hearts or Sevco.

Craig_in_Prague
02-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Very fair points.

We've turned up in the bigger games, still in the cup and have a good basis to build on going up. Lennon brought in players (using the system well) which really kept us ticking on too.

Would be nice to see us smash in some goals and tie up the league asap, at least before heading back to Hampden to face a pretty good Aberdeen team.

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2017, 07:41 PM
Looking like straight promotion as opposed to looking to see if we could make play off. Massive difference to how I feel even if the football seems dire at times.

Hibs Class
02-04-2017, 07:41 PM
I'd have loved it if we had won every game by a distance, but we had one objective this year and it looks like we will meet it fairly comfortably. This season we have been regarded as the team to beat, and teams have raised their game against us and/or put ten men behind the ball. We have been reasonably solid and consistent, if not spectacular.

stantonhibby
02-04-2017, 07:43 PM
We've got one more point than we did at the same stage last season and five more than the year before so there has been slight progress.

The biggest difference this season is that we don't have any rival that's of the standard of Hearts or Sevco.

True enough although also this year there are no Cowdenbeath, Alloa or Livingston

Borderhibbie76
03-04-2017, 12:00 PM
True enough although also this year there are no Cowdenbeath, Alloa or Livingston
A point I've been making loads on here...keep hearing how this division is poorer this year coz no Sevco or hearts. 2 years ago the Sevco side were every bit as bad as the current Dundee Utd team. Also the last 2 years there were 3 part time teams in this division, now we have only 1 who are Dumbarton and are a pretty decent part time side too. I refuse to believe this league is a pishy as some make out on here compared to last 2 seasons...it's simply not. Yes we should win it comfortably and hopefully that's what we will do but there was always going to be a few bumps along the way

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

greenlex
03-04-2017, 02:12 PM
I dont get the comparison debate. Different group of players in every team. Different teams in the league top and bottom. Its a one off season/run of games and the aim is to be promoted, preferably as champions. Its going ok.
If we had Stokes and Henderson in the current team we would probably have won it by now. If Hanlon and Fontaine had not been injured we might have won it by now. If McGinn and Marciano had not had international call ups we might have it won by now. Point is we have enough about us to do it. How doesnt matter right now in the grand scheme of things. We could have signed a couple more internationals in the right areas in the summer or indeed January. Looks like we didnt need to.
This season is this season. Get it over the line Hibs and we can all relax a bit.

Sir David Gray
03-04-2017, 06:47 PM
A point I've been making loads on here...keep hearing how this division is poorer this year coz no Sevco or hearts. 2 years ago the Sevco side were every bit as bad as the current Dundee Utd team. Also the last 2 years there were 3 part time teams in this division, now we have only 1 who are Dumbarton and are a pretty decent part time side too. I refuse to believe this league is a pishy as some make out on here compared to last 2 seasons...it's simply not. Yes we should win it comfortably and hopefully that's what we will do but there was always going to be a few bumps along the way

Alloa, Dumbarton and who else?

SChibs
03-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Alloa, Dumbarton and who else?

Cowdenbeath

jgl07
03-04-2017, 07:14 PM

There was no Hearts last season either!

Dundee United have replaced Sevco while Dunfermline and Ayr United have replaced Livingston and Alloa.

That makes the League stronger. Raith Rovers are as good a team as they were last season yet are 8th as opposed to 4th last time. Morton are dramatically improved as are Queen of the South.

Sir David Gray
03-04-2017, 07:28 PM
Cowdenbeath

Cowdenbeath weren't in the Championship last season.

SRHibs
03-04-2017, 07:30 PM
People go on about the league being easier this season, which is probably true, however we seem to forget that we didn't just finish behind Rangers, we were also behind Falkirk. From that perspective, we're doing well to be where we are, even if the football is pretty pish a lot of the time.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-04-2017, 09:02 PM
This season we going to win the league. For me at least, that would be the main difference and I would rather win it badly than lose it with style. Let's save our football for next year.

SChibs
03-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Cowdenbeath weren't in the Championship last season.

It said 2 years ago there were 3 part time teams. Cowdenbeath were in the championship 2 years ago.

SquashedFrogg
03-04-2017, 09:38 PM

Guess some people are never happy.

Relativity :agree:

SquashedFrogg
03-04-2017, 09:40 PM

:top marks

Sir David Gray
03-04-2017, 10:07 PM
It said 2 years ago there were 3 part time teams. Cowdenbeath were in the championship 2 years ago.

No it didn't the poster said "the last 2 years there were 3 part time teams in this division".

Radium
03-04-2017, 10:17 PM
It would be interesting to know what effect having 3, then 2 and now only us providing large away supports has had on the likes of Falkirk, Raith and QOTS. (not sure if Dumbarton have been around for all 3 seasons)

Would imagine it has been a bit of a filler in their budgets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgl07
03-04-2017, 10:21 PM
The results for 2014-15 and 2015-16 are remarkably similar. This season so far is not much different apart from slightly less wins far more draws and fewer defeats. Fewer goals have been scored and a lot less conceded. The 70 points scored in the last two seasons is achievable with three wins and a draw in the last five matches.

Season 2014-15
P 36 W21 D7 L8 GS 70 GA 32 Pts 70

Season 2015-16
P 36 W21 D7 L8 GS 59 GA 34 Pts 70

Season 2016-17
P 31 W16 D12 L3 GS 47 GA 21 Pts 60

Lennon seems to have sorted the defence somewhat but fewer goals from midfield have hurt.